Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2016, 03:27 PM   #331
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Hey, PP, nice to see you.

There's a fb page called vegan air fryer enthusiasts. Some of the peop are also members of the plant based Instant Pot page.

I went for something cheap just in case; Della, $60 on ebay with free shipping. Two days later it showed up.
It's the standard smaller sized one and I think will be good for two people but eventually I may get a bigger one since I'd like to use the stove less and the oven never.

I marinated some tofu for tonight and plan some roasted chick peas for tomorrows project.
Soy curls turn out great according to the fb group.

There seems to be no end to what you can 'fry'.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2016, 09:00 PM   #332
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
I'll have to check out that group, thanks jem. I've been keeping my IP going like crazy and avoiding the oven as much as possible since it's been so stinking hot here. It's supposed to be 91 tomorrow- this time of year, we are usually enjoying the upper 70s.

I made the most enormous pot of soup today on the stove, mainly to freeze for winter. I had a volunteer plant spring up in my zucchini, which I thought at first was just another zucchini. Then as the leaves grew I thought it might be a watermelon. It grew and grew and took over the whole patch, pretty much destroying my actual zucchini, but producing almost nothing except a couple of longish striped things that I thought were seeded watermelons. But nope, turns out they are just some odd zucchini-like veggie (I suspect the zucchini I planted last year was a hybrid and this seed probably came from one that rotted out there.) Anyway, I love love love my old Weight Watchers "favorite vegetable soup" that calls for a lot of zucchini so I chopped up a couple of those mutant zukes and ended up with a couple of gallons at least of soup. I have it chilling in my spare fridge but have to scramble things around to find room for all of it in my freezer.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #333
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Its been really hot here too for Sept.
The Farmer's Almanac predicts a tough winter.
I hope its wrong. We don't get much winter here in Southwest Texas, but it does get down to freezing or below a few days.

One Christmas we had the a/c on cuz it was so warm.
One Thanksgiving, we all went swimming in the river.
One Halloween, it snowed...what we call snow anyway, but it melted away before morning. It was cool though.

Our winters like to bring hail and I could live without that. It has wrecked our house a few times and put dents in vehicles. The one year, it was so windy and hailing and it busted right thru our living room window and we were there sitting on the couch. It missed us, but it sure made a mess and scared the dogs.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #334
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

We have some craziness here in Chico, as well.
Cold nights for sure but the days are very spring like with all the fluctuations that spring can have including thunder storms, hail and beautiful sunny weather.

Some mornings I'm in my down jacket then maybe not.

Rivers and creeks are a bit cool for swimming even if a winter day is hot. Our dog doesn't like to swim much in winter but is all about water now.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:51 PM   #335
handbells
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
WOE: Gluten free vegan
Start Date: today!
It's cooling off in the mornings and evenings here (VA), but the days are still fairly warm.

Have any of you experimented with aquafaba? I've been reading up on it and think I'm going to try some things out tomorrow.

In other news I followed a recipe I found online and made peanut butter fudge out of chickpeas!

"Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!" (journal)

"Humankind is simply materialized color operating on the 49th vibration."
handbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:51 PM   #336
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Jenn, chick peas make awesome fudge. The texture is so....fudgelike.

I made chocolate last year and it's probably posted here somewhere...maybe on the chickpea flour thread.

Peanut butter fudge should be perfect, as well.

Chickpeas rule!
Old 09-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #337
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Nigel, good luck tomorrow.

I have an appointment with a new PCP Monday. It's an office that is connected to the Adventist HC System.

I guess I have to admit that I'm sensitive to sugary stuff.....not whole carbs.
A couple months ago, I ate a small piece of carrot cake and I really felt terrible and an hour or so later checked BG....159.
I hadn't eaten earlier that day so decided that it was just not a good first meal.

Today I ate a cupcake from one of our amazing local cakeries. I felt off but not quite as bad as before. Checked BG (1 1/2 hour)....198. Terrible.

After the carrot cake fiasco, I checked after everything for a while and really had no issues. I can eat grains (not pig out) without issue and regularly consume some oats, bread, pasta but not everything everyday. I still am aware of every carb I consume.

So there it is. I had crazy BG when LC ing and it is better now just not with sugar.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:20 PM   #338
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks jem.
Now I have to go back in another two weeks. Grhhh!!
I was so hoping it was all done, but nooooo.

Sugar isn't my friend either jem...it makes me feel terrible and I get exhausted after eating some. I mostly stay away from it, but ya know there are those times when it sounds so good. Then it isn't or wasn't after all. I have the same problem with some carbs, not potatoes, but potato chips. Maybe it's the oil, but they aren't something I crave anyway.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #339
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, potatoes are not my friend at all. Always get increased BG.
I used to be addicted to potato chips and would finish a bag....any size bag. Now I don't even think of them. If they are served on a plate, I don't have any urge to eat one.
Life is good.

So will the next dentist trip be the finish? Still having to juice/smoothie?
Old 10-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #340
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Guess what Peeps?

Guess what Peeps?

I saw spaghetti squash, butternut, and acorn in the store yesterday. Yipee!! Hoorah!!

Now I'm just waiting on the Delicata squash to show up.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #341
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Looking forward to spaghetti squash, especially.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:21 PM   #342
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

So, I have the results of my bloodwork:

A1C 5.5 (first one ever so no comparison)

Cholesterol 205 (last year was 199 so about the same)
LDL 109 so a bit high. Need to look into that.

All the rest fell right into mid range but Na was right near the top and Mg right near the bottom.

I have some cardiac testing next week so will see it any of this is worrisome.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #343
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dr. visit yesterday...cholesterol is down and BP is normal and everything else was good and better than 3 months ago and I didn't try to, but I lost a size in clothing. Must be from all the juicing. According to the scale, I only lost 5 lbs, but my wife said she couldn't stand seeing me wearing those baggy pants anymore so she bought me some new ones. Hey, I don't mind, but I did mind having to try all of them on at the store. ugh!!

I have been using avocado oil and very little oil at that, but I think that might have made a difference. I've also been adding turmeric and ginger powder to my juices and smoothies. I don't like ginger at all, but I can't taste it in the powder form. The turmeric is supposed to help lower cholesterol along with about 600 other good things it does for you.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:18 PM   #344
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

It's called the dental surgery diet. If you follow it too long you'll lose.

So was the doc happy with the lower cholesterol?

Cutting down on fat really made a difference in my weight when I gave up meat. I dropped weight so fast which I probably mentioned before.
It stays so stable now that I'm just amazed.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #345
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

lol...yeah the doc said I was consistent, so I asked her if that was good or bad, then she told me the cholesterol was down, etc. She says oh, you lost 5 lbs and I just laughed cuz I wasn't trying to lose any weight, but you can never be too rich or too skinny...and I don't think I'm skinny by any means.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:55 PM   #346
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I had a CT today so had to drink the Berry smoothie last night and then again at 9 am. Last night I thought it didn't seem that bad at first slug but half way through, I could barely put it to my lips.

This morning I just slugged it down. Made my stomach feel ugh and gave me uncomfortable gas.
There must be a better way.....

Had an echo but thankfully no preparation involved. Interesting, for sure.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:37 AM   #347
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hope everything turns out good on the CT scan, jem.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:48 AM   #348
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Air Fryer

My air fryer came in today that my wife ordered.

I hope it works the way she thinks it will.

I don't fry that many things but maybe it will be fun to use.
She ordered the bigger one.

I guess we will see if it was worth it.

Does anyone on here use one?
Old 11-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #349
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I feel so alone here this week.

I feel so alone here this week.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:47 PM   #350
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Sorry Nigel--I'm on a business trip in Chicago. I cannot post as often as I would like because with my work, but hang in there
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #351
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks ouizoid.

I figure everybody is going to get real busy for the next couple of months due to the holidays.

I did make my homemade egg mcmuffin on the smart bun and yep, it was delicious.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #352
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
Hey Nigel! How do you like the air fryer? Sorry I haven't been around much. I've been doing a lot of traveling. I've also been working my eating plan really hard - I had a long, long, long plateau due to some medication I'm taking. Well the medication is here to stay so I've done some tweaking to my eating and I'm very slooowwwwwwllly seeing some results.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #353
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I haven't tried the air fryer yet. I am planning on trying it over the weekend.

I did read the book and I am disappointed that you can't put batter type things in it, only the kind that have a crumb coating.

You can make things like cake in it if you buy the tiny pan for $39.99 or if you have a pan that might fit.

I have to go and search for a low carb onion ring recipe cuz I've been craving them.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #354
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

My neighbor's lemon tree is loaded and I've been juicing and making lemon ice cubes which is keep frozen in zip locks for later use.
I did this with a lesser amount last year and it worked out great.

It would be nice to have enough to get through the year but we no longer have a freezer and the one above the fridge is always full.

Since they are grown without herb/pesticides, I may freeze some zest, as well.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #355
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

On Saturday, I went and got a whack of veggies including (finally) swiss chard.

I have some juice recipes using romaine so I got some at Sam's and then I found some more at the 99cent store. The price evened out to be about the same. Of course I got a bigger bag at Sam's.

I finally found my swiss chard at Sprouts.

I got great big (organic-wow!!) tomatoes in a 2pk container for .99 cents so I got 10 of those. I bought some last time I went and they were better than the ones I buy here in the grocery store (supposedly greenhouse tomatoes). They have great flavor.

I like them on my boca burgers and in my juicing.

I also got a big bag of fresh broccoli crowns.

My fridges look like a produce shop. lol

So what has everyone else been up to?
Old 11-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #356
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Yum, Nigel.

I have always loved vegetables.
I've been stopping at one of the HFS to get bunched spinach rather than tubs....it's so much better.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #357
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving and weekend.

I've been down with the flu, but I am on the mend.

I miss seeing everyone that is on here. I know we are all busy, especially this time of year.

So, next, on to Christmas. What do you get a woman who has everything?

Mostly everything anyway. My wife can't even think of anything she wants.

I was going to luck out and just get her some gift cards but then she informed me how gift cards are just not personal enough.

Okay, nothing for the kitchen cuz that is my domain and I have everything in there too. Too many appliances that I thought I had to have. So I am swearing off appliances until something I use all the time breaks.

Okay, back to the wifee....I just have no clue. Every year I used to buy her stuff from her list that she gave me. No list this year. She doesn't want any candy or sweets either. She has too many clothes and shoes. She has lots of purses and lets face it folks, you can only use one of those at a time. So no jewelry either cuz she is revamping her jewelry and says she has too much of that too. *sigh*

We have been downsizing slowly this year and I think the more we downsize, the more we realize how little we actually need. Funny, how it works like that.

I am open to suggestions. ???

We have a tradition that we have tacos on Christmas Eve for dinner and we make Lasagne for Christmas day. She got bored of the usual Christmas dinner a few years back and I'm okay with this. But this dang Christmas shopping is not for me. I want to order everything online and call it good. But there I go, getting stumped again. Help ladies???
Old 11-28-2016, 01:26 PM   #358
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
would she like something in the realm of personal care? A gift certificate to her hair salon, a year at Massage Envy, a gift certificate to the place she gets her nails done, that sort of thing??
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:02 PM   #359
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Nigel, maybe it's time to rethink gifting each other.

How 'bout going on a nice vacation together....a lodge or resort that has great food and lots of stuff to do. For us that would be good hiking, kayaking, etc, but others might just like to kick back and get pampered with massage and such.

My PT and his family went to the Caribbean for TG. He showed me pics today and sounded like an awesome trip.

We do not need anything so we don't exchange gifts. We are more likely to do something that is not in our routine. Even something more local like a gourmet restaurant....on the other hand we both love a road trip.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:20 AM   #360
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks ladies. Those are some great ideas. I might be a bad husband cuz I don't even know where she goes to get her hair done. I have no idea. She does her own nails, but getting them done by someone else might be a nice treat for her too.

She said she doesn't want anything, but I know my wife and she would be disappointed if she didn't have at least one gift to open.

I like the vacation idea, but I can't get off work any extra days this time of year.

I have even bought her tools and a tool box, a sander, a dremel, a cordless screwdriver, a cordless drill (lightweight), so she is prepared if anything breaks. lol Funny, right? She asked for the tools one year, so I stocked her up on them.

I bought her a little red wagon for her garden and then she didn't want to put it outside cuz someone stole the gnomes she had in the garden. (I think it was her rotten sister.)

Then she wanted these little metal goats....cute little things, but she put them in the house too. I keep telling her that those goats gotta go. She just laughs at me. I also bought her more gnomes which of course she doesn't want to put in the garden either. So ya see, I can't really get her any more garden stuff at this point or I will have a zoo in my dining room. lol

Yeah, probably strange Christmas presents....