Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Forum Jump
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #91
lotus33
Major LCF Poster!
 
lotus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,147
Gallery: lotus33
WOE: mostly raw, plant based
Start Date: 9-1-14
Whats going on everyone????

Not much here worth mentioning
__________________
start 12-9-12
490/1100
1 point for every 10 minutes

Sep 1~223, Oct 1~210, Nov 1~207, Dec 1~210, Jan 1~215
lotus33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2015, 05:47 PM   #92
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!
 
Food Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,689
Gallery: Food Lady
I've been dealing with internet trolls and neighbors who are being overly loud and obnoxious because they're being evicted and want to stick it to the managers (which is really just sticking it to the neighbors like me, sigh). As for eating, I'm doing chili and meat analogues with salads this week. I was getting bored with blue cheese dressing so I bought some fish-free caesar. I'm going to make vegetarian salisbury steak at some point. I bought 2 pears just for the heck of it. I don't need fruit, but I like it sometimes. I found a recipe for a cinnamon raisin walnut MIM so I think I might do that for breakfasts.
__________________
The key to weight loss is...butter.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:25 AM   #93
tiffany
Senior LCF Member
 
tiffany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 79
Gallery: tiffany
WOE: Atkins/South Beach
I'm glad this thread exists. My husband is a vegetarian and I will be able to get good recipes. I'm trying to up his protein. He was eating bean burritos frequently but now he only wants to eat pizza. (He's Indian. Only been in America 2 years so whatever lol.) I make him low carb tacos with refried beans instead of meat. He likes those but not for everyday. I bought a vegetarian sloppy joe mix that I might try this weekend. He hates any type of bean except refried beans. Any pointers on upping his protein intake? Oh, he also will not eat eggs.

Food Lady- where did you get fish free caesar from?
tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:41 AM   #94
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!
 
Food Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,689
Gallery: Food Lady
It's Kraft bottled. It has tamarind instead. And a bunch of chemicals, but whatever.
__________________
The key to weight loss is...butter.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:49 AM   #95
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,633
Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Food Lady View Post
I've been dealing with internet trolls and neighbors who are being overly loud and obnoxious because they're being evicted and want to stick it to the managers (which is really just sticking it to the neighbors like me, sigh). As for eating, I'm doing chili and meat analogues with salads this week. I was getting bored with blue cheese dressing so I bought some fish-free caesar. I'm going to make vegetarian salisbury steak at some point. I bought 2 pears just for the heck of it. I don't need fruit, but I like it sometimes. I found a recipe for a cinnamon raisin walnut MIM so I think I might do that for breakfasts.
How do you make the vegetarian Salisbury steak?
I tried using boca burger for it once, but it really didn't have much flavor.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:52 AM   #96
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,633
Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany View Post
I'm glad this thread exists. My husband is a vegetarian and I will be able to get good recipes. I'm trying to up his protein. He was eating bean burritos frequently but now he only wants to eat pizza. (He's Indian. Only been in America 2 years so whatever lol.) I make him low carb tacos with refried beans instead of meat. He likes those but not for everyday. I bought a vegetarian sloppy joe mix that I might try this weekend. He hates any type of bean except refried beans. Any pointers on upping his protein intake? Oh, he also will not eat eggs.

Food Lady- where did you get fish free caesar from?
A lot of people add sweet potatoes to tacos or other veggies.
I use meat substitutes for protein and I drink protein shakes using Isopure protein powder.
Cheese is good for adding some protein--they have vegan cheese also, but I'm not a fan of it.
Cottage cheese is something else I eat for protein.
TVP and tofu are good protein, but I don't know how to cook tofu.
I buy frozen boca burgers and other brands and the crumbles and 365 vegetarian hot dogs, stuff like that. The faux chicken products are pretty good. I use them just like I would most any real chicken dish.

Last edited by Nigel; 01-29-2015 at 12:05 PM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:21 PM   #97
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!
 
Food Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,689
Gallery: Food Lady
Nigel, the gravy makes all the difference. But the base I was using is probably discontinued and I'm out. I can't find it anywhere. It's called TUF au jus base; it's a paste-style base made by a company called Precision Foods. I can't even find a picture online. I bought some Massel cubes, and I think it'll be just ok. sad face
__________________
The key to weight loss is...butter.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:38 AM   #98
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,633
Gallery: Nigel
If you go to roundeye supply, you can get a case of 12 pkts for $31.59, 8 oz Tuf au jus mix...don't know how much shipping, but if you want to order it.

I was really wanting to know what you use for the "meat" part of the Salisbury steak.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:57 PM   #99
tiffany
Senior LCF Member
 
tiffany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 79
Gallery: tiffany
WOE: Atkins/South Beach
I did make some chili one night with the beyond meat crumbles and they were really good. I buy hubby the indian masala veggie burgers, pizza burgers, and cowboy burgers at trader joe's. all veggie burgers.
tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:08 PM   #100
lotus33
Major LCF Poster!
 
lotus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,147
Gallery: lotus33
WOE: mostly raw, plant based
Start Date: 9-1-14
Tiffany!
__________________
start 12-9-12
490/1100
1 point for every 10 minutes

Sep 1~223, Oct 1~210, Nov 1~207, Dec 1~210, Jan 1~215
lotus33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:09 PM   #101
lotus33
Major LCF Poster!
 
lotus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,147
Gallery: lotus33
WOE: mostly raw, plant based
Start Date: 9-1-14
Anyone try these? I bought a bag, didn't try them yet. Waiting for Sunday.

__________________
start 12-9-12
490/1100
1 point for every 10 minutes

Sep 1~223, Oct 1~210, Nov 1~207, Dec 1~210, Jan 1~215
lotus33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:05 PM   #102
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!
 
Food Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,689
Gallery: Food Lady
Thanks, Nigel. I use Boca or Morningstar Farms, whichever is cheaper. I'm not picky, I guess.
__________________
The key to weight loss is...butter.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:41 AM   #103
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,633
Gallery: Nigel
Thanks FoodLady.

Lotus 33, haven't tried them yet.

Tiffany, I haven't tried Beyond Meat yet. I'm glad to know it's good.
We have a product review thread here if you try new products and want to write your opinion.

I bought some Neat Meat, supposed to be made from pecan meal, but I haven't tried it yet...I keep forgetting about it cuz it's in the pantry and not the freezer. Most of my protein products are frozen.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:22 PM   #104
lotus33
Major LCF Poster!
 
lotus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,147
Gallery: lotus33
WOE: mostly raw, plant based
Start Date: 9-1-14
Hi guys! Whats going on?


New plan over here.....Its too much work to not have my family eat the same meal and it deters me from my diet so...they are now vegetarian Surprisingly the hubby or either of my daughters gave a care at all. Not sure why it took me so long to even consider asking what they thought about that. I bypassed right past opinions and just said this is what we are doing though They just said as long as eggs and cheese were still on the menu they are good.
__________________
start 12-9-12
490/1100
1 point for every 10 minutes

Sep 1~223, Oct 1~210, Nov 1~207, Dec 1~210, Jan 1~215
lotus33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #105
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!
 
Food Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,689
Gallery: Food Lady
Oh, I meant to tell Nigel that I found a replacement for the TUF: simple bouillion cubes. The brand is Massel and I found them in the natural foods section. There's a chicken flavor as well as the vegetable and beef flavors.
__________________
The key to weight loss is...butter.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #106
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,633
Gallery: Nigel
Good for you Lotus33. That's great that your family is on board.

Thanks Food Lady...I'll look for them.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:34 AM   #107
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!
 
Food Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,689
Gallery: Food Lady
They come in a simple tube of squares. It's yellow plastic-coated foil with either red, blue, or red writing, depending on the flavor. I love the price: 89 cents!
__________________
The key to weight loss is...butter.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:05 AM   #108
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member
 
saltnpepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: deep in the heat
Posts: 853
Gallery: saltnpepper
WOE: lower carb, veggies
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
lotus33 that is great news!!

I always think (?) that is part of my problem.... I'm still cooking everything for everybody which means lots of meat. kwim It's there, I'm hungry and there I go. So good for you. Let us know how it goes.
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #109
lotus33
Major LCF Poster!
 
lotus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,147
Gallery: lotus33
WOE: mostly raw, plant based
Start Date: 9-1-14
Day 3 going fine...still no complaints.


However its been not the most *healthy* of stuff trying to get everyone hooked without a total revolt!

So far its been....
Sunday breakfast-toasted french bread, asparagus and a poached egg. (sounds grody but it was good!)
Sun dinner-veg lasagna, salad
Mon dinner-pizza on naan bread with mushroom and onion cooked in butter, pesto sauce, fresh tomato, feta and mozz cheese. Big hit!
Tonight, lasagna and salad again, I had made 2 pans of it.

Lunches for DH and me have been salads, kids are getting wraps. PB and banana today and yesterday was bean and cheese.

Anyway, high carby and not the best but we are easing into it
__________________
start 12-9-12
490/1100
1 point for every 10 minutes

Sep 1~223, Oct 1~210, Nov 1~207, Dec 1~210, Jan 1~215
lotus33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #110
lotus33
Major LCF Poster!
 
lotus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,147
Gallery: lotus33
WOE: mostly raw, plant based
Start Date: 9-1-14
My dang basement is all wet! We broke a water pipe down there a year ago and have been working on it since then redoing the entire thing. All new walls and drywall, everything was ruined! Literally hung the last piece of finish trim Sunday. Went down there and the carpet is all wet in about a 5 x 10 ft area. The water condensing pump thing on the furnace stopped working and the water is just going all over the floor I want to cry! Thankfully we had been a little smart and replaced the old carpet with carpet tiles. We had bought extra for if some got stained or whatever so we have extra to just yank the bad up and replace but still! Just irritating!
__________________
start 12-9-12
490/1100
1 point for every 10 minutes

Sep 1~223, Oct 1~210, Nov 1~207, Dec 1~210, Jan 1~215
lotus33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:43 PM   #111
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!
 
Food Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,689
Gallery: Food Lady
Oh, lotus, I'm sorry! I am not ready to own a home....
__________________
The key to weight loss is...butter.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:27 AM   #112
tiffany
Senior LCF Member
 
tiffany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 79
Gallery: tiffany
WOE: Atkins/South Beach
I was a vegetarian for 5 years and gained 150 pounds. Come to find out I have PCOS and hypothyroidism and my body is adverse to carbs. I went low carb and lost 115 pounds but gained back 30 after my hubby's emergency surgery because after working 12 hours I didn't want to cook 2 meals so I ate what I cooked him. He has been a vegetarian his whole life for religious reasons. I told him if I finish losing my weight I will consider it but if I start going back up again then I will have to stop. The only meats I eat now are boneless beef and only breaded boneless chicken. If I eat anything that remotely reminds me that it is an animal it makes me sick. People at my job think I'm strange lol because they don't understand why I don't like fried chicken.
tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:29 PM   #113
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!
 
Food Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,689
Gallery: Food Lady
tiffany, I got to 215 lbs as a vegetarian, despite cooking stuff from scratch at home. I think I just figured if it didn't have meat it was healthy. Glad we both have it figured out now. I'm still vegetarian, but moderate carb.
__________________
The key to weight loss is...butter.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #114
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member
 
saltnpepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: deep in the heat
Posts: 853
Gallery: saltnpepper
WOE: lower carb, veggies
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:51 PM   #115
lotus33
Major LCF Poster!
 
lotus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,147
Gallery: lotus33
WOE: mostly raw, plant based
Start Date: 9-1-14
Hey guys!


Oh gosh....I know we are going to have to start cutting carbs too! Just going to be a slower process than cutting meat! Want to eventually start cutting dairy out too. But now that the whole fams is on this I am being sneaky about it and just doing it slowly. So far so good still

Tonight I made enchilada soup and baked some tortilla chips in the even to put on top. Super easy and super good!
__________________
start 12-9-12
490/1100
1 point for every 10 minutes

Sep 1~223, Oct 1~210, Nov 1~207, Dec 1~210, Jan 1~215
lotus33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:29 PM   #116
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,633
Gallery: Nigel
There doesn't seem to be many postings for the last month. I hope everyone is still around.

My drink of choice lately is sparkling water with lime. No sweetner and it's good. Sometimes I drink club soda with lime and no sweetner. It tastes good and light and a little tart, but I like it and I don't get that heavy feeling after drinking it like I get from diet sodas, which I rarely drink these days, but when I do, I regret it.

I've had a bad case of pneumonia for the last month, so I haven't done much new recipe cooking. I'm going to work on some stuff later this week since I'm getting well now. Ya know that pneumonia knocks you on your butt and you can't hardly do anything cuz you feel so bad and then everything is totally tasteless. I was eating a lot of hot/spicy foods just to get a glimmer of taste.

So what have the rest of you been up to lately?
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:10 PM   #117
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member
 
penguinpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 596
Gallery: penguinpower
I've jumped back into the vegetarian crowd, with great fear and trepidation! My DH is naturally vegetarian and has always been that way, he just prefers veggies and fruit over meat and dairy. He can eat anything and has never been overweight by as much as a pound. Me, I LOVE low-carb eating - meat, dairy, fats! I just look at a plate of spaghetti and I gain weight. He'll eat anything I make for him, but years ago, I did straight vegetarian with him for seven long years, and that is where I piled on almost 100 pounds. But we did lacto-ovo vegetarian and there was not a thing I made that wasn't loaded with cheese or eggs, and we had lots of junk foods that are technically vegetarian but just not good food choices.

I switched to low-carb and although it took me a long long time (like 3 years) I lost 73 pounds and kept most of it off for about 8 years...then, the regain started. Over the years I've regained about 35 pounds and it seems nothing I do takes it off now. Not strict low-carb, not JUDDD, not WW, and who knows what all else I've tried these past few years.

I was inspired by the plant-based diet thread in the Playground (I think?) and bought the McDougall and Esselstyn books - and now I'm on Day 4 of being a no-fat-added vegan. I'm kinda terrified, because of the weight gain I experienced as a vegetarian - although I know this is very different, but still, potatoes and pasta and rice, oh my! And yet, in these four days I've actually lost a tiny bit instead of instantly gaining as I feared I might. I like the food, DH is in his glory, and I'm hoping for some weight loss and other health benefits claimed in the books.

I hope this thread remains active!
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:31 PM   #118
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!
 
Food Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,689
Gallery: Food Lady
I'm still around, just pop into threads that have notifications. I need to make stuffed peppers again, but I've been choosing to do other things over cooking. I did cook the lentils tonight, so tomorrow I can pop them into the oven. They don't turn out as well as in the crockpot, but I need 6 hours for that and there's not time after work, unless I want to eat them at bedtime. (If I put them in while I'm at work, it's too long and they burn). I need a programmable crockpot, just can't afford it until I get my tax refund.
__________________
The key to weight loss is...butter.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #119
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,633
Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Food Lady View Post
I'm still around, just pop into threads that have notifications. I need to make stuffed peppers again, but I've been choosing to do other things over cooking. I did cook the lentils tonight, so tomorrow I can pop them into the oven. They don't turn out as well as in the crockpot, but I need 6 hours for that and there's not time after work, unless I want to eat them at bedtime. (If I put them in while I'm at work, it's too long and they burn). I need a programmable crockpot, just can't afford it until I get my tax refund.
I hear ya on that. The problem with my crockpot is that half the time I forget to turn it on or forget I have something cooking and it burns. I'm crockpot-challenged, I guess. lol
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #120
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,633
Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
I've jumped back into the vegetarian crowd, with great fear and trepidation! My DH is naturally vegetarian and has always been that way, he just prefers veggies and fruit over meat and dairy. He can eat anything and has never been overweight by as much as a pound. Me, I LOVE low-carb eating - meat, dairy, fats! I just look at a plate of spaghetti and I gain weight. He'll eat anything I make for him, but years ago, I did straight vegetarian with him for seven long years, and that is where I piled on almost 100 pounds. But we did lacto-ovo vegetarian and there was not a thing I made that wasn't loaded with cheese or eggs, and we had lots of junk foods that are technically vegetarian but just not good food choices.

I switched to low-carb and although it took me a long long time (like 3 years) I lost 73 pounds and kept most of it off for about 8 years...then, the regain started. Over the years I've regained about 35 pounds and it seems nothing I do takes it off now. Not strict low-carb, not JUDDD, not WW, and who knows what all else I've tried these past few years.

I was inspired by the plant-based diet thread in the Playground (I think?) and bought the McDougall and Esselstyn books - and now I'm on Day 4 of being a no-fat-added vegan. I'm kinda terrified, because of the weight gain I experienced as a vegetarian - although I know this is very different, but still, potatoes and pasta and rice, oh my! And yet, in these four days I've actually lost a tiny bit instead of instantly gaining as I feared I might. I like the food, DH is in his glory, and I'm hoping for some weight loss and other health benefits claimed in the books.

I hope this thread remains active!
Thanks for dropping by. The way I maintain is to keep my carbs fairly low most of the time and if I start feeling sluggish/tired, I just eat vegetarian protein (including dairy) and non-starchy vegetables and some low carb protein shakes using almond milk or coconut milk and Isopure. .

I have to keep myself in check cuz if I don't, I will go back to eating all the things that aren't good for me. Temptation is always lurking around every corner and on TV all the time.

I also find that planning my meals and snacks helps me stay on track. I get brain dead some nights after work and can't think of anything to eat. If I post my menus on the fridge then it helps me not have to think about it.

It also helps if I can get stuff made ahead of times. There are a few nights that I make double and freeze half, provided it does well in the freezer.

I will grill up 2 boca burger patties and then I have one ready to nuke for later during the week, so then all I have to fix is the veggies to go with it, so I save some cooking time.

I will do my best to keep this thread active. Sometimes I don't have time to play on the pc..slow days at work I can and on the weekends when I'm not fixing things around the house.

Hope to hear more posts from you.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:12 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2017 Netrition, Inc. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Netrition, Inc.