Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-07-2015, 08:36 PM   #121
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
The plan we've decided to follow is a no-fat-added vegan diet that is starch-centered - definitely not low carb! But today I made a really good dinner and I think at least the soup portion of it would work for some. I didn't blend it, but left the veggies chunky. We always liked Qdoba's Mexican Gumbo - when we would go I'd have it with chicken and DH would just have it with no meat. This copycat recipe is pretty much dead-on, taste-wise. On our plan, we don't add protein or any of the yummy toppings like sour cream or shredded cheese, but it was still screaming good. Very filling too with the rice and beans - I got hungry later in the evening and had a bowl of just the soup and it was delicious all by itself, so if you don't go for rice and beans you might want to give it a try.

http://qdobaathome.blogspot.com/2013...umbo-soup.html
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2015, 05:09 AM   #122
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I love to hear success stories. Thanks for the link...the soup sounds delicious to me.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #123
lotus33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lotus33
WOE: mostly raw, plant based
Start Date: 9-1-14
Penguin! It is a daunting thing to take on, but it is easier when all in your family are involved! I just got my family on board and its been much easier. Not that we are perfect by any means and the fams don't eat it 100% of the time either but we are trying!

Sorry to hear you were sick Nigel! That does linger a long time! We have been passing around a cold here too, nothing serious though!

How in the world do you guys burn stuff in a crock pot?? That is funny! I didn't even know that was possible!

Sep 1~223, Oct 1~210, Nov 1~207, Dec 1~210, Jan 1~215
lotus33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:51 PM   #124
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Food Lady
If it's something relatively dry and you leave it long enough, it will burn. Some of the dishes I make can only stay in a maximum of 5 hours.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:12 AM   #125
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
WOE: lots of veggies/lower carb
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Nigel sorry to hear you were sick. The weather has been so crazy here in TX. It's still cold in SA. Hope your feeling better.

penguinpower GOOD for you!! I too try to follow a somewhat McDougall style diet/WW. I've been reading his web sight. Lots of information. And I love potatoes. So that's what I'm doing. BUT I find I do need to limit some things. I also read/follow the thread in the Playground. LOL I love reading your progress, so keep posting.

lotus33 glad your family is still on board. That is a big help. And I agree, how do you burn anything in a crock pot?

Foodlady

Hope everyone has a great day, and lucky for us spring is in the air which means lots of fresh produce.

Last edited by saltnpepper; 03-09-2015 at 05:21 AM..
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #126
lotus33
Major LCF Poster!

Well I made it an hour at work and then came home. Being at home and sick I didn't think I was as bad as I was. Back in pajamas on the couch now!

As soon as I can get to a store I am going to get some supplies for a 3 day juice fast. Maybe try to flood this crud out of me!

Old 03-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #127
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

This weather is crazy in Texas. It finally stopped raining today..don't know if its done or it will start up again tonight. Grrhhh...I don't mind a good rain, but I hate the drizzly type that just lingers and makes a mess, nevermind the humidity. Needless to say, the dogs are not very happy either. They love spring and fall just like me. lol
Old 03-09-2015, 07:42 PM   #128
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the nice welcomes! Glad to hear that you are feeling better, Nigel! Now we have to get lotus33 back in the pink.

Saltnpepper - happy to "meet" another sorta McDougaller. I had a really good first week, with just one planned non-vegan meal (had salmon with an oil-based sauce). I did better than I expected since I thought I'd have to ease into this WOE much slower. I'm working on taking off a chunk of weight I gained during Jan/Feb when we were traveling a lot. My big fear was that eating the starchy stuff would add even more weight to the gain - but I'm happy to report I've actually lost a couple of pounds this first week.

It was hard for me to figure out a breakfast. I'm not a cereal lover, and really never cared for oatmeal. Nor did I care for just a big bowl of vegetables in the a.m., and too much fruit can make me feel jumpy. I tried some "overnight oats" recipes and managed to get them down, but breakfast was the only meal that had me jonesing for low-carb food this week. But I think I found something - back in our long-ago vegetarian days, we loved many recipes from the "Fit for Life" book. One of our favorites was the "New York Goodwich" which is essentially a vegetable wrap. I made a modified one this a.m. (well, two actually) and enjoyed it so much more than the cereal breakfast. I could easily eat these every morning.

What really makes these is "barbecued onions" which is nothing more than onions sauteed until soft, then remove from the heat and dump in some barbecue sauce, not too much, but enough to give them a definite flavor. I used Guys BBQ sauce(not Guy Fieri, the low-carb Guy's with no sugar, no fat that you can order from Netrition). I sliced up and sauteed two huge onions in a little veggie broth until softened, then mixed in a few tbs of the sauce. This is enough onions for quite a few goodwiches. Then you need:

Cooked veggies chopped up kinda small (I had a mix of broccoli, cauli and green beans)
Very thinly sliced dill pickle (optional but really good)
Lettuce, sprouts, avocado slices if you want
A bread-like substance - I used a Trader Joe's low-carb tortilla and a regular small corn tortilla, and liked both
A mayo-like substance - I made a vegan mayo using cashew nuts instead of oil, but will try a lower fat/cal option when we use up this

On your tortilla mound up a hefty long blob of your veggies, and nestle a thinner line of the barbecued onions alongside. Top with pickle, and lettuce/sprouts/avocado if desired. Smear some of the mayo on, and roll up. A little sloppy but oh-so-good! Will taste different every time depending on what veggies and toppings you use.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #129
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Your New York Goodwich wrap sounds good.

I was wondering if you eat tofu?

I haven't ever tried it, but I bought 3 blocks of it the other day cuz I want to see if I can like it. There is a recipe for tofu scrambled "eggs" that interested me.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #130
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

We have eaten a lot of tofu in the past, but on this plan it's recommended to use it sparingly, so we haven't gotten into it yet. We like it a lot of different ways. An easy way to see if you might like it - do you have a Chipotle near you? You can get their burritos, bowls or salads topped with tofu instead of meat. They prepare the tofu with spices and call it "sofritas" and it is really good. It will be the first thing I make when we decide to have some tofu - I will use the recipes you can find on the chefdehome blog (don't think I can link it here since I think they offer books and stuff for sale). You can easily find the site by googling Chipotle Sofritas Recipe chefdehome. They have several variations of the sofritas on the site.

I've never been all that fond of tofu-based sauces or puddings, although I know lots of people like it that way. We do enjoy it cubed up and marinated and added to recipes. Trader Joe's had a delicious tofu with edamame "thing" in the freezer section, I can't remember what it was called but there were like six triangles of these in a box and they were outrageously delicious. I don't know if they are still sold, since I haven't looked for them for a long time. I used to make a good veggie patty using tofu, I think it was from the Moosewood Cookbook, but that's out for us on this plan since it had eggs and sesame oil. Likewise, fried tofu can be very tasty, but we can't have it now. I did like it scrambled up ala huevos rancheros, and you can make an interesting eggless egg salad with it.

Have fun experimenting with it!
Old 03-11-2015, 01:06 PM   #131
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for all the help penguinpower. I'll go get that recipe right away.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:34 PM   #132
lotus33
Major LCF Poster!

I would probably feel better faster if someone sent me some of those burrito things with the onions.....anyone????

Eh....I am doing ok. Passed my good fortune onto my daughters! Wasn't that nice of me? Guess they will both have a sick day home from school tomorrow!

Been juicing a lot the last couple days but not exclusively. Doing a lot of fruit smoothies too...man I love them!

Old 03-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #133
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Hope your feeling better lotus33

penguinpower how are you?? Love all your food ideals. Lucky for me I love potatoes.... so I eat a lot of them. And rice with greens. So far I'm not tired of it. BUT my family is. anyway I push on..... I feel much better eating this way.

Hi Nigel and Foodlady
Old 03-13-2015, 05:33 PM   #134
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

I really love to cook saltnpepper, so I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Plus, I have a whole bunch of dishes we loved eating back in our original vegetarian days that I'm dusting off and de-oiling and de-dairying for this plan. I know it would be really hard to do if I had a family who wasn't on board, so you have a hug of encouragement from me!

Tonight, my DH surprised me by saying he wanted an old fave that has tofu - I believe the original recipe was from the Moosewood cookbooks. It's a cabbage dish with a sort of Hungarian flair to it and some things that sound weird but taste really good. You have to marinate and pre-bake the tofu - I like to use the extra firm in this recipe. I used a block that was 14 oz. Drain it and then cut it into four slabs that I place paper towels between for a half hour or so to soak up more water, then when it's kinda dried out, cut up into small cubes. Put the cubes in a glass pie dish or 9" square baking pan. Make a marinade from about 3 tbs. of tamari (can use soy or liquid aminos too), 1 tbs of Worcestershire, about a 1/4 cup of water, about 1/4 tsp onion powder, about 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp ground allspice - mix that together and pour over the tofu, stir with a rubber spatula until they are all coated, then put into an oven at 375 and bake, stirring occasionally, until all the marinade is absorbed into the tofu. Baking time varies according to how dry you got the tofu, but about half hour or so. This tofu is good on lots of dishes, not just this one.

For the main bulk of the dish, thinly slice an onion and saute' in veg broth or water until softened. While it's cooking thinly slice up four to six cups of cabbage, then add that to the onion. After that has cooked down a little, put in 3 tbs of tomato paste, 1/2 cup veg broth or water, 1 tbs. dried dill and 1 tbs. paprika (just regular, smoked isn't as good in this recipe). Mix it all up, then add in a 14 to 16 oz can of diced tomatoes, mix again, and let cook until the cabbage is where you want it to be. We like it pretty soft. To serve, place the cabbage mixture over a bed of rice, barley or mashed potatoes, and top with some of the tofu.

Then comes "weird" part - top with chopped dill pickle, raisins or currants, (and a dollop of sour cream if you do dairy)!

I loved my lunch today. I had boiled some red potatoes yesterday, so I cut up one into a bowl and ladled over it some of the Mexican gumbo soup I had left over from the other day, and added a big pile of cooked frozen vegetables. It was so good.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:03 AM   #135
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Your recipe sounds good penguinpower. I have the Moosewood cookbook around here somewhere. I've never made any of the recipes in it. I haven't even looked at it in years. I see its time to dig it out and dust it off. All I remember is thinking that the recipes sounded too complicated. Of course I got that cookbook when I wasn't a vegetarian, so I may think differently of it when I start reading thru it again.

Hi there saltnpepper. Good to see you here.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:37 PM   #136
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

There are several Moosewood cookbooks Nigel, and I'm afraid your impression was correct - a lot of the recipes are complicated But really really good! If you let me know which book you have, I can see if I have that one and let you know if I've tried any in that book that aren't too elaborate.

Leftovers all day today - for lunch we finished up the Qdoba copycat gumbo over potatoes, and dinner did leftover cabbage dish from yesterday. I roasted a couple of eggplants and made baba ganooj - we really love that and it's so easy, just mash up the soft eggplant with lots of lemon juice, a plop of tahini, some minced garlic and salt. I never tried it without garlic, Nigel, but it might be okay. It's great with crackers or toast or pita, but I've been eating it just by itself. Eggplants can be expensive but Krogers has them for 99 cents and I'm taking advantage! I baked a couple of yams, too, and DH is eating half of one right now.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #137
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

As soon as I find the Moosewood cookbook..it's lost in my maize of cookbooks...I will let you know.

I'm going to the dentist again in SA on Friday, so I'm planning on leaving early and going by that farmer's market I found and see what they might have this time.

That's about all the excitement I have this week. lol

Oh yeah, I got a Quorn faux turkey roast I'm going to cook up and try. I like most of the Quorn products, so hopefully I will like this too.

I also noticed they put some of the Quorn products back in my local super Walmart. That makes me very happy.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:27 PM   #138
lotus33
Major LCF Poster!

I made a version of enchiladas yesterday....yum! I covered them with salsa verde. First time I have ever had that...I think I am in love Stuffed them with a little spanish rice, black beans, and a whole lot of red peppers. Simple but really good!

The weather is finally starting to break here. You can actually stand to go outside now!

Old 03-17-2015, 11:23 AM   #139
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Enchiladas sound good.

A good filling is cream cheese, minced onion, chopped green chilies (mild ones) and a little shredded cheese.

I use corn tortillas for enchiladas. I've never used the flour ones. I can't find any lc corn tortillas around here though.

If you like the tofurky slices or any thin sliced vegetarian lunchmeat, you can use that for the tortillas...just fill them and roll them up the same way and sauce them and top with cheese...you could just stuff them with a little onion and cheese.

Sometimes I buy a can of jalepeno or poblano soup...it's a generic brand from HEB and it's LC and use that for the sauce. It makes super creamy enchiladas and it's easy. I just heat it up and add a little water to thin it.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #140
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Mmm, those enchiladas sound good, lotus. I love the salsa verde! And that poblano soup sounds delicious Nigel - I have not seen that around here but I will look (we don't have HEB here though but maybe one of the other stores will have their own version???).

I had good vegetarian luck at restaurants this week! One place had a "veggyro" which was a gyro-style sandwich on pita bread using seitan as the gyro meat. It was really good. Then yesterday at Mad Mex's I had an "Angry Hippy" which was a burrito with seared Portobello mushrooms and spinach - I opted for the bowl version. They had the daiya vegan cheese and tofu sour cream for the vegan version. It was really good too! We are trying to stay away from the faux meats and faux dairy, but since choices are pretty limited at a restaurant we did the best we could - and loved every bite lol.

This a.m. I just put some sliced avocado, tomato, red onion and lettuce with some vegan mayo in a corn tortilla - really liked that, too. I had two, and they kept me full all day. I'm not sure about dinner tonight. We have some leftovers that we should probably clean up, then I can start with something new tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:57 AM   #141
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

penguinpower what a great ideal about the corn tortilla!! So glad I read this thread today.

And lotus33 those enchiladas sound great. You all are making me hungry. But giving me great ideas. I don't think I've ever had salsa verde, is that like salsa??

I've been staying away from dairy, and loving how I feel without it. But it's so hard, as I love cheese.

Nigel I didn't know they made jalapeno and poblano soup. Great ideal.

Anyway

Later
Old 03-18-2015, 08:57 AM   #142
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

LOL look at all I learned from you all today
Old 03-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #143
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

LOL saltnpepper, I'm sure you have plenty to teach all of us! Hope you try the corn tortilla things and like them as much as we do. DH requested them for breakfast again today.

I just did a thai-inspired stir-fry tonight - I still have seasoned tofu cubes leftover from our cabbage dinner the other night and wanted to use them up. Stir-fried some broccoli, celery, red pepper strips, mushrooms and snow peas. Then I mixed up a quick peanut sauce - just 1/4 cup tamari, 1/4 cup veggie broth, 3 tbs. rice vinegar, 4 tbs water, 2 tbs. splenda (you can use more but we don't like it too sweet), 2 tbs. peanut butter + 1 tbs. PB2 powder (trying to keep our fat content down) - warmed in the microwave to make the peanut butter easier to mix into the sauce and whizzed it with the hand blender. I mixed most of it into the veggies and made a little corn starch slurry with the rest of it to thicken up the sauce. We served the veggies over a new type of rice I found at our food co-op - well, it's an "ancient" rice but new to me, lol, called red rice. I sprinkled some of the tofu cubes over top, and also a few shakes of sesame seeds. It was a good dinner!

I'm still working on losing the weight I had gained while on vacation prior to starting this new WOE, but I'm thrilled that it IS coming off, slowly but surely. It's still a little uncomfortable for me to be eating things like red rice and I am always shocked in the morning that I haven't gained weight from the carbs. But it seems to be working, and that's why I'm staying so vigilant with the no-dairy, no-added-fat "rules".
Old 03-18-2015, 07:48 PM   #144
lotus33
Major LCF Poster!

Well dang it Nigel! Now we all have to go shopping for that soup! I usually try to stay away from the canned soups like that but what a great easy meal to throw together after a busy day!!

PP-that sauce sounds amazing! I would eat that on everything! Does that PB powder really taste like peanut butter??

Made white chicken chili this week. I just pick out the chicken, let the fams have a little poultry treat

Old 03-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #145
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

lotus - the PB2 has a sort of peanut butter taste but I don't think it's peanutty enough on its own to carry off this sauce. I know some people mix it up with water to make a peanut spread - I've never tried that.

I love chicken chili! Hmmmm.....I could try making it without the chicken and see how it turns out. Thanks for the idea.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:54 PM   #146
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Success - as of this a.m. I've taken off the weight I gained on our extended winter travel trips. I can't begin to tell you how frightened I was of trying this, considering how much weight I had gained when we did the lacto-ovo vegetarian years ago. It is not easy, doing the oil-free, dairy-free, no faux-foods version but I am so excited that it seems to be working for me when NOTHING else was working. I'm having fun trying a bunch of weird-sounding recipes. ("cheese" made of potatoes and carrots? no-oil oil?) Some are flops, some are keepers. Anything I lose now will be "new territory" that I haven't seen in years. I started this thinking I'd give it a month - it's been just about 3 weeks, and the results are so good I'm willing to stay on it indefinitely.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:32 PM   #147
Cucui
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cucui
Stats: 274/244/150
WOE: Moderate Carb Vegetarian
I'm back. Glad to see some new faces. I had some computer issues then work got busy so I haven't been able to get here much. We are going to try being raw til 5 next month. We really need to get rid of some of the faux meats. I am going to try to get it as low carb as possible but we won't be low fat, just moderate.

Last edited by Cucui; 03-26-2015 at 09:42 PM..
Cucui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:06 AM   #148
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Glad to see you back. I hope the raw diet goes well for you. Keep us posted..I'm always interested in hearing progress stories.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:30 PM   #149
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Food Lady - those peppers sound good!

We enjoyed dinner tonight. It was very easy to make, too. The recipe is by Angela from the Oh She Glows website with just some minor modifications to suit our preferences. I had frozen basil from my garden and used that - I think any fresh basil would work, not sure it would taste as good with dry, but might still be pretty good!

Whole Wheat Pasta with Avocado "Pesto":

For the pesto:
1 ripe Haas avocado
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced (more or less to taste, we like it a lot)
3 tbs. chopped fresh basil
1/2 tsp. salt
2 - 3 tbs. fresh lemon juice
dash cumin powder
dash black pepper

Put on about 8 oz. of whole wheat pasta to cook (we like angel hair with this, and I break it in half). While it's cooking, place all pesto ingredients in food processor and whiz until nice and creamy. If it seems too thick you can add a tablespoon of water or olive oil. Drain cooked pasta then scoop all of the avocado pesto onto the pasta and mix well. Serve with a nice tossed salad. Doesn't keep well at all, so be prepared to eat it all - no problem for us, lol.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:36 AM   #150
Cucui
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cucui
Stats: 274/244/150
WOE: Moderate Carb Vegetarian
Nigel I will. I'm going to try to keep tabs on our progress so I can compare. I'm still researching meal ideas. I'm trying to find a protein powder I like too.
Cucui is offline   Reply With Quote