Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #151
lotus33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lotus33
WOE: mostly raw, plant based
Start Date: 9-1-14
Hey guys hows it goin???

We are up and down still, but more ups than downs. So its a win Actually trying to do the 21 day fix plan. Seems like a sensible portion control system that can be adapted to vegetarian really easily.

PP that pesto seems like it would be good!

Sep 1~223, Oct 1~210, Nov 1~207, Dec 1~210, Jan 1~215
lotus33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #152
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
It's all good here. We did deviate off plan for Easter - had two family dinners to attend, and decided ahead of time that we weren't going to worry about it or make a fuss about anything. DH's Italian relatives made everything with cheese and meat. Seriously, everything. My relatives had lamb and ham and a good selection of veggies, but loaded with butter. So what, I enjoyed it all lol. I did have a couple # spike after that day, but am now back to where I was before the holiday. Down a total of 18# since starting. That's 8 "real" pounds gone on top of the first 10 that were vacation pounds. This is really, really a fast rate of loss for me so I am thrilled. DH's blood pressure is still high but seems to be trending downward. Very excited about that.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:46 PM   #153
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Food Lady
I just tried Gardein's fishless fillets. I was braced for terrible because I didn't like another product they make. While they were cooking they smelled exactly like fish to me and the breading is perfect. Two of them are 11 net grams: not bad at all. The texture is not flaky, but the taste killed my seafood craving. I had them with homemade tartar (prefer store-bought and will pick some up tomorrow) and malt vinegar. I'm glad I was willing to try that brand again.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:20 PM   #154
Cucui
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cucui
Stats: 274/244/150
WOE: Moderate Carb Vegetarian
Food Lady I just saw those in the store Friday while shopping. I wondered if they tasted good. I am going to try them and see.

So, this is the end of our first week of Raw til 5. It went pretty well. There was some detoxing on the first two days. After that cleared it was smooth sailing. Friday, I forgot to bring my juice and waited to long to eat so I ended up eating something hot. I'm trying to be more prepared now.

I prepped the smoothies so we can just dump them in the blender and I made a big salad. We can change the flavor when we want. So far, my mother's blood sugar has been level. I am trying to keep the carbs pretty low but it's taking some real work. I really need to find a low carb snack she can have before bed.
Cucui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #155
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Can she have any kind of nuts? Almonds supposedly help you sleep better if you eat them at bedtime. I switch off between nuts and cheese for a bedtime snack. I need to eat less cheese, but that's a work in progress. lol
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #156
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Cherries should do the same. Both tart red and sweet red ones are about a carb each. Some cherries with whipped cream--yummy bedtime snack.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:58 PM   #157
Cucui
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cucui
Stats: 274/244/150
WOE: Moderate Carb Vegetarian
Nigel, that may be a good idea. It give her a way to switch up. Food Lady cherries are a good snack for me. Man I can't wait until they're in stores here.

For now we have settled on one Nature Valley bar, so nuts on alternating nights may work.
Cucui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:51 PM   #158
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

I had "fish" again tonight and I want more! But I don't need to eat anymore tonight. Tonight I checked to see if my regular grocery had it. (Last night I had gone to a different store because I happened to be on the other end of town). Well, my favorite store carries it and they had taped $1 off one package coupons to the door. I bought 2 packages for I think $2 each, or a bit more. But it's not really expensive in the first place, so I'm happy. I think I need to make fish tacos! I'm from southern California originally, so of course I love those.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:23 PM   #159
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Trader Joe's

I went to SA today just for kicks... I stumbled upon a Trader Joe's store...unbelievable and the guy told me they had been there 3 years and only about a block or two away from the Quarry entrance where I visit whole foods. I happened to take a wrong turn and there it was, plain as day.

I have always been so curious when people talk about Trader Joe's on here...I had fun shopping there but I'm sure I need to make a list for next time. I was kind of tired already and just browsed the store quickly and found a couple of things.

I have been looking for preserved lemons...saw them on farmhouse rules on TV and they looked good. I didn't particularly care for the one I tasted, but I am sure I'll find a use for them.

I found a vegetarian already made salad to try and some stir fry fresh veggies ready too cook...so I can be lazy one night this week. lol

I didn't like that they had the vegetarian stuff mixed in with the regular (meat) stuff...it sure makes it difficult to find things. I found some tofu burgers to try and got some more 365 faux chicken nuggets cuz they are the best I've had. I got some fresh coconut strips just for munching and some 3 grain tempeh and some vegan sausage. I bought a couple of other things but can't recall what they were right now.

Anyway, I like the store, so I will add it to my list of stops when I do grocery shopping in SA another time.

What do ya'll get at Trader Joe's?
Old 05-02-2015, 08:47 PM   #160
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

It's been so long since I shopped there that I recall I was still eating meat and not low-carb. So my list is no longer valid. I will say I used to love getting chocolate covered coffee beans. I haven't had those in a long time.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:26 PM   #161
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

If you eat cheese, Nigel, TJ's burratta is swoon-worthy! They also sell a frozen tofu product, darned if I can remember what it was called, but it had tofu and edamame shaped into kind of triangles, they are delicious. One of my favorite things are their frozen green beans, best ever, and taste as good as fresh. It's the only place around here where I can find kabocha squash. They have their own version of Ezekial bread that is very good, as well as low-carb tortillas. They have reasonable prices on nuts and nut flours. So much more, I need a list too lol.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:53 AM   #162
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
That double pack of sprouted tofu is a convenient size. Almond meal and coconut flour. Check out the sauces; pasta sauce, curry simmer sauce, salsa verde.....
There's a ton of frozen stuff and you don't have to buy family size to get a good price.
Nut milks. Awesome selection of cheese. Hummus/dip/dressings.
Green Fin organic wine.

For your family, the ground turkey here is 2.99. There's a frozen bag of Barbeque Teriyaki Chicken that is just cooked thigh meat and two packs of sauce. Even if you don't use the sauce, it's a good deal.
Really, it's endless.

Take your time and look at everything.

Oh, I forgot. Dark chocolate....especially those .99 packs of dark choc covered almonds.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #163
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I love smoothies for breakfast on occasion but they are dairy, flax/chia, blueberries, oatbran......
I saw a smoothie that was banana, nut butter, almond milk, protein powder all of which I had on hand.

After drinking it all seemed well but within an hour, I crashed. So tired....just wanted a triple latte.

Never again.

Funny thing is that I can eat a banana which many would assume is the culprit.
It made me remember when I was traveling and bought one of those chia pudding cups (coconut milk and chia seeds). I had the same experience.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:11 PM   #164
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the ideas gals.
I didn't have a great look around, just kind of browsed the store.
I didn't see any low carb bread or tortillas on their shelf, but maybe they were out...unless they keep them frozen?
I will do a thorough shop next time I'm there..I was just kind of tired already and wanted to get back home before dark.

jem51...about the crashing...that happens to me sometimes too, no matter what I eat. It only happens once in a while, but it happens. Those are the days I seem to feel extra tired too. Maybe our bodies are tying to tell us something? I had eggs and cheese and tomatoes and crashed. I blamed it on lack of sleep for a couple of nights before, but I really don't know what caused it. Maybe not enough protein? I'm just guessing here.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #165
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Nigel. It wasn't just tiredness, it's just a weird head feeling along with. It subsided after an hour or so but the day was not great....

This morning I woke up with this subtle little headache and I realized that I hadn't had a headache since I really changed to mostly veg.

It is funny that LC seemed to be the answer for so long and then not.

I love vegetables and eat more all the time.
Interesting that LC gave me a new appreciation for them since I used them in place of starch in just about everything.
That has not changed.....zoodles of all types, cauliflower for rice and pureed for 'cream' sauces and soups, eggplant and zucchini for lasagna, turnips/rutabeggas in place of potatoes, etc. I love vegies instead...they just have more flavor.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:51 PM   #166
KetogenicGurl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KetogenicGurl
WOE: LC-HF-LP Plant based
Start Date: 2-1-2015
Plant Based LCHFLP w CKD limits

Hi to all. new member here. I am a recent convert to all plant protein, and no meat. I do still choose some dairy: full fat yog (Bulgarian style) butter, cheeses HWC.

I started a regular LCHF Feb 1 this year, doing well, but I have chronic kidney disease and my function dropped a bit, scared me, so after some research I switched to hemp seed, eggs, pumpkin seeds as primary protein.
I just began following the Dr. Walser renal diet which is strictly vegetarian, had added special amino acids, so I can safely be VVLP.
He spent 45 years at Johns Hopkins helping kidney patients stay alive and off dialysis with a no-meat diet.

BUT he and other cohorts (more ANCEL KEYES LEGACY!) still thought saturated fat was bad, CVAs, cholesterol and all that, plus surgery foods. So since I KNOW LCHF works beautifully for me, I am less ready to add carbs, and drop butter YET.

So I am still learning as fast as I can. I seemed to have raised my kidney function many points (HORRAY) by the switch to plant based 30 days ago..so why change success?

It's funny, as much as I trust Walser..I KNOW too much about modern dietary research to accept his group's diet advice (may not be all his fault)..as long as my lab work stays good, I lose, I am happy to keep going.

ANyone else here with kidney issues.
KetogenicGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #167
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

KG, I am so happy you showed up.
My daughter has PKD. She is not yet to the point of dialysis but her left kidney has grown to a dramatic size. So far the function is okay but it's just a matter of time until the cysts strangle the nephron units.

I have just found it confusing figuring out what she should eat to postpone dialysis. Obviously vegies but it seems that some charts say no to butter, yes to cream or yes/no to legumes, etc.
She has been LC-controlled carb for many years.

I haven't read Apples to Zucchini and maybe that'll be helpful.

The thing about Walser is that he started a long time ago. Research marches on....but still, he was very successful so you can't argue with that.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #168
KetogenicGurl
Senior LCF Member

Don't Discount Dr. Walser's success

HI Jey51, I do feel for PCKD people, not a thing to make them go away, only maintaining the kidney health, but that is so with all of us with CKD I guess.

OK this will be a bit of a rant.

..yes I am often shocked how QUICKLY people accepted the OLD research of Low Carb pre 70's..all the diabetes and weight loss knowledge of NO STARCHES.( as they were called then) . So now we decry the bad info of "modern" USDA HC diets..and accept the best of OLD LCHF knowledge

but then when Walser, who dies in his late 80's still working on CKD in 2006, is now discounted by "modern" nephrologists as wrong on protein, I get mildly annoyed. Here is the MAIN reason: Patients make mistakes..you tell them low protein and they undereat, eat the wrong things GET WEAK, harm the heart muscles by too low of protein, thus causing MORE CVAs..AND giving the Neph a VERY SICK patient, too weak to do well on dialysis. See? Not many will eat right, or know what aminos to take, or the correct dose…it is a commitment. And veggies do provide excellent food value..DaVits lists 15 top ones --and it's all what we are used to- cauliflower to kale, etc.

When I see the Neph in 2 weeks I will ask her about VLP, just to see, and learn more on why. Keeping our strength, and good muscle -especially in the heart -despite the high calcium consumed, the problems it causes when out of balance, is resolved by adding Magnesium to diet.

I have Raised my own eGFR from Stage 4 in the red zone at 26…back to 38 in a short time. After my Nephrectomy in 2010 I dropped from 40 to 37 in 2012 to 34, 32, 29, then 26 just in March. I ate a HC meat based USDAhealthy plate 45-65% carbdiet promoted by the VA dietitian. total failure on weight loss. just too much sugar too.

and I place all the credit on LP veggie diet, Mg, and weight loss for kidney function improvement.

As a researcher/science-bent minded Gurl I have read study after study in all the renal journals and PubMed, etc. and every one talks strongly of a veggie diet as protective of the kidneys. So I listen. Meat causes oxidation waste, the poor kidneys CAN'T filter it, it piles up in blood like trash, High Urea Nitrogen is damaging…I lowered mine from 37…to 32 in a month. I HOPE to keep it there, and maybe improve it further the longer I give my body the right diet, and unburden the kidney.

Combined with many results showing VLP diet, and Dr. Calton, a scientist who developed the amino acids for Dr. Walser (he's alive and still developing products too) I am impressed with How many people have not slipped to dialysis with this diet.

Now, Calton is a kind of 'traditional older man', assuming all women have children, do the cooking, and such
I am not going to argue with him, they haven't changed their booklet on foods for years, and as I know saturated fat is not evil. nevertheless..too much may not be best for me either.

My MAIN protein is hemp seed..people freak, so much ignorance about it, it is imported,is a newer food in the US, and not even listed by NKF or USDA of course so people dont trust it. sigh…So I also eat pumpkin seeds, very highest next in essential aminos, AND Magnesium which CKD patients MUST have. yet every single *(&*&&*^& article ALWAYS say …" but not for CKD" I could scream.

The REASON this falsehood is perpetrated is bolus dose of it is actually the IV Mg given at 3000mg dose over 1 hour to dialysis patients that is the PROBLEM. the poor patient would be better off getting Mg from food!!! But since this essential mineral is ignored by 'modern' medicine, and calcium channel blockers are sold instead..well…it's an uphill slog.

Thanks to the open access to REAL medical research online (not just websites selling something, but I don't blame them for wanting to get good product info out to people!) I can list many solid nutrition & Mg studies for renal health..all promote veggie diet, and less protein.

RENAL STUDY RESULTS:
The results of these two studies indicate that excessive endogenous acid production and subsequent metabolic effects may be related to negative effects on liver health and fat free mass. In each study, the correlations were still found to be significant even when adjusting for factors such as BMI, waist circumference, energy intake, etc. that would suggest general excessive energy intake was to blame. These results further promote the concept that plant-based diets offer a multitude of health benefits beyond caloric density alone.

OK If I haven't bored anyone to sleep…I am happy to share what I know. YES everyone is different, when people get to dialysis they MUST have more protein, but avoiding the big D is my plan.

Last edited by KetogenicGurl; 06-02-2015 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: TYP0
Old 06-02-2015, 05:20 PM   #169
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks KG. I saw a study re using keto acids for pt who had not improved or held steady using amino acids and the results were positive.
I don't know the difference and have not yet found the explanation. Must do more searching.

My last high fat and fat fast eating was with vegies and fats. Really satisfying. Not necessarily all sat fat since I am a lover of good EVOO....probably use it most.

At some point I need to have a conversation with my daughter about what's ahead and how to proceed.

Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:37 PM   #170
KetogenicGurl
Senior LCF Member

Keto Acids AMino Acids

HI Jem..I don't now much about Keto acids available, what I have are those AAs developed by Walser to taste somewhat palatable.

apparently even the ones in capsules are horrible if you break the cap.

OTC AAs are all dosed at 500mg each…but this is supposedly not what the body needs, just what the maker can produce..from a report I read it's like shoving sq. pegs at round holes…if they don't match then there is waste, and inefficiency of use..complex, but that seems to be the message.

Most severe CKD patients may not chose to go VLP..they may do OK with more or accept renal replacement sooner..younger people at least have youth on their side and the body deals better with adversity.

I'll start looking into Keto acids and see if they are even available.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #171
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I decided to give pea protein powder a go. Swanson had a BOGO and then I saw a little overstock note and got them for 5.69.
I read all the reviews and a few mentioned bitter or pea taste but most said it was not an issue.
For that price, I stocked up a bit since I have decided that I need to sup protein a little.

KG did you see the Neph? How did it go?
Old 06-16-2015, 07:35 PM   #172
lotus33
Major LCF Poster!

Hi guys! Whats goin on?? Sooo glad summer is in full swing! I love veggies on the grill! Slipped back to about 50% of meals having animal protein but now that summer is here and it is easier I am transitioning back to no animal.

Right now I'm just slightly obsessed with corn/black bean salsa...good heavens its good!

Whats everyone up to these days??

Old 06-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #173
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Yum, Lotus, that sounds good. We just finished off a black bean/corn soup.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #174
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

We've been salad-obsessed - somehow, despite the temps being about 15 degrees above normal, the lettuce is still hanging in there and not yet going bitter although the arugula is developing quite a sharp bite. I started some more arugula which has not yet gotten secondary leaves - will try to nurse them along to see how far into summer we can enjoy it.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #175
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

We are starting a gutter garden for spinach/lettuces. We'll just snip them before they get too big....just baby.
We may put some gutters on a pallet so we can move it easily as it gets more sunny. That way we can move it into a more shady area.

Our new tomato plants don't like it here at all but the others, that the snails were chomping on, are starting to recover.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:26 PM   #176
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

I'd never heard of a gutter garden before, jem! That's a good idea. I think I'll check out some fastener thingies to see if I can somehow attach them to my deck planters and double my container space.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #177
lotus33
Major LCF Poster!

Oh its so good! I guess its a salad...who knew I always call it salsa. I use green peppers and no cumin cause I think it smells like stinky body odor

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ad-recipe.html

off to google gutter gardens.....

Old 06-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #178
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

If you have a Habitat or other second hand building material store, you may find plenty of gutter material.
We have both metal and vinyl leftover from various remodeling projects.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:18 PM   #179
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ola Lotus
Gutter garden sounds cool jem. Are you going to post pics later? I'm hoping here.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:52 PM   #180
KetogenicGurl
Senior LCF Member

KIDNEY FUNCTION EXCELLENT sez Nephrologist

JEM...KG did you see the Neph? How did it go?

HI JEM…YES, just saw the nephrologist in SF VA hosp. this morning.., he was impressed I had done so many things to improve my overall function.. and sticking with it.
Had not met him before and he was very supportive of my no meat- plant protein diet, (vs other MDs I see who are sort of unsupportive of nutrition for healing..I think he understood I COULD be vegetarian and do well with protein) and actually advised me to slow down a bit on losing weight too fast. hahahahah