Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 06-19-2015, 07:50 PM   #181
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
That is great KG. I wonder if he is concerned about rapid weight loss due to the extra by products that get dumped into your blood....or whether it's just one of those things Dr's say.
If your GFR has improved, I see not reason for concern.

It is amazing how fast one can lose on heavy vegetables.
I had this huge garden a couple years ago with many volunteer plants as well as what I planted.
Since I was determined not to waste one ounce, I made vegetable everything. My weight loss was so fast, I didn't believe it. Not that I needed to lose...still what a surprise.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2015, 08:51 PM   #182
KetogenicGurl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KetogenicGurl
WOE: LC-HF-LP Plant based
Start Date: 2-1-2015
Jem…I Just got my blood work labs mailed, and my hematacrit, and a few other thing wer down, so I recall he referred to anemia, and so I must have overdone the 'sparing' too much…which is a good reason to add a few calories, and learn better how to manage a plant protein diet..right?

also why I may have been a bit fatigued this last month..trying too hard.

I admit to being torn a bit… on the studies…... Dr. Neph says latest study shows no difference in kidney function on low, med or high protein diet ( with meat)

. BUT I still trust Dr. Walser's 45 yard of study MORE…his whole book is about never slipping too far down and risking dialysis years later. .Dr. Neph did agree that too many patients go too low in calories or protein and are weak and easily ill when time for dialysis.. which is what Walser says too. So I am going to stick to Plants based, and if I eat a piece of fish on my birthday once a year, so what.
KetogenicGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #183
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

KG, how's it going? Have you found the sweet spot yet? I know it is not easy.

My FIL was diagnosed with kidney ca several years ago and chose to do nothing. He was nearing 90 at that time. Last I knew (which was not recent) his GFR was 35. Doc said that is not really unusual for someone his age.
Anyway, here we are, a couple years later and he still lives. He is sliding but don't know where the ca stands since it was encapsulated, who knows.
B/P remains the same which is elevated....no specific kidney symptoms.

He has a Dr appointment in two weeks so we'll see. Mostly they don't do a lot of checking since no treatment is going to happen.

My daughter is not having any further problems.....
Old 07-11-2015, 07:48 PM   #184
KetogenicGurl
Senior LCF Member

Energy for Yardwork

Hi Jem…even tho I am still having a lot of hip pain and inability to walk more than 30-40 min I have been coming home from walks and get busy clipping shrubs and trees, and am surprised when an hour goes by and I am still going..then I sleep like a rock of course.

I was reading that Alpha Lipoic Acid helps stabilize blood sugar, I ran out a couple days ago and then noticed my BG had shot up..

so part of it was the mistake of buying dried fruit ( and eating out of the bag vs using it for shakes in small portion) so part iS the sugar carbs, and I will track and see if 2 weeks of a higher dose ALA will change anything.

Glad yo hear your dad is doing well, and yes 35 is amazingly good for is age, the kidneys peter out about the same time as we do..
Old 08-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #185
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

A couple years ago I had a kidney cyst that got big enough to cause me pain. They drained it and that was it.

I started having pain in my side again last month and finally, today, they did an ultrasound.
Surprisingly that cyst has not returned but the one sitting on the other kidney has grown so I don't know if it's pushing enough on other organs to cause pressure on the other side.

My pancreas and liver were fine. Gallbladder had the same polyps it did before. BUT I have an ovarian cyst that keeps getting a bit larger each year.
I want it gone!!

So they'll review the results and compare to the last measurements and then we'll see.

Kidney cysts are pretty common but are usually only detected when their looking for something else.
Usually they are left alone unless they cause pain due to pressure. These are not the same as the millions that people get with polycystic kidney disease....
Old 08-14-2015, 02:45 PM   #186
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
Well, I got attached by another ninja zucchini today! I don't get it, I (and often my husband) check out the garden every single day, and yet neither of us spotted this fellow. I don't know how it hid itself so well since things are pretty dry around here, but suddenly this a.m. there it was. It weighs more than 10 pounds (my kitchen scale capacity). I'll be making more zucchini "applesauce" for the freezer!
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:36 PM   #187
KetogenicGurl
Senior LCF Member

as I said…turn your back on them…and…... killer-zuchinnis
Old 08-16-2015, 10:14 AM   #188
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Wowzers on the zucchini.

I think I'll plant some next week. I haven't had a lot of luck with my squash this year. I keep planting and they keep croaking.

I haven't planted zucchini though, so I figure its worth a try.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #189
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I really love zucchini and it is so versatile but I always compost the big ones since there's so many smaller ones available. I figure if it's feeding the soil, it's not going to waste.

Lately we are grilling quite a bit along with eggplant....just cut in half lengthwise, brushed with EVOO and seasoned.
It is so good.

Even in places where you usually use cukes, like gazpacho, it's really good....and fritters, oh, so good.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:11 PM   #190
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I went to my doctor today for the general checkup.

I've gotten so used to using fresh veggies all the time, I hardly ever use anything canned and it just doesn't taste as good when it's canned vs fresh.
And if I get more than I can eat right away, I just freeze it so its as close to fresh as I can get.

So the doctor starts talking about the Walmart brand of green beans and she said it was all stems and ends and her husband told her not to buy that kind anymore.

I had to restrain myself and it was really hard for me....I wanted to take her and shake her and tell her that she is the doctor and she shouldn't be eating that crap in the first place....but I kept quiet (don't know how, but I managed).

Then I thought to myself...I shouldn't be passing judgement cuz there is the occasional can of green beans that graces my table also.

I find myself checking out other people's carts at the grocery store just to see how much junk food they buy and man, it's a lot. Is that passing judgement too? Yeah, I suppose it is, but I never let them see me looking at their stuff.

Of course that would be me too back in the day...not for many years now, but I still have flashbacks. lol

One day I was totally shocked cuz a guy was buying 8 stalks of celery and all kinds of other veggies. Then I snapped...ahhh, he must be juicing.

Last edited by Nigel; 09-24-2015 at 03:12 PM..
Old 09-24-2015, 04:10 PM   #191
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

What else did the doc say....healthwise?
Old 09-25-2015, 11:52 AM   #192
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for asking. I'm A-Ok, but my lipids could be lower.

My Mom gave me these Hisbiscus tea leaves from Mexico--they sell it at our local store. She says her friend started drinking it every day and her cholesterol went way down and she even lost weight.

You don't treat it like normal tea. You just put a handful of leaves in a jar/pitcher and let it set in cold water for a few hours or overnight. Then you can sweeten it and drink it like iced tea. She said you cannot heat the tea because then it loses its properties that help eliminate your cholesterol.

I figured what the heck...I'm making some right now. I will do what I have to do to lower my lipids. Wish me luck, ok?
Old 09-25-2015, 02:05 PM   #193
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Nigel, have the lipids decreased at all? Are you at least seeing some result even if slow?

I wonder if adding some ground flax daily would help. Of course, getting sugar out is probably best but I think you've done that, right? Watch the juice, though.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:28 AM   #194
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah, I gotta switch up my juicing a bit...I think I've been having too many fruity drinks/smoothies...have to stick to the berries and the veggie juices.

My lipids did decrease from 3 months ago, but she says they need to be lower. I don't remember what they were, if she told me. She also said having high cholesterol could be heredity. Unfortunately, I don't know my family history on that.

You know I have ground flax meal and I even like it, I just never remember to use it. I need to get some flax recipes and find something easy I can whip up for daily use.

I stay away from sugar and flour and other starches most of the time. Once in a while, I give in, but its only for one meal. I'm a work in progress.

Thanks for telling me about the flax...I didn't know it might help my lipids, but like I said, I am willing to try to get them lower.

It's funny...my wife eats anything and everything and she's never gained a pound or had any health troubles...her cholesterol is normal, and yadda, yadda, yadda. She is very lucky that way. She eats hersheys kisses every single day and a handful of them. I'm just grateful that I'm not a fan of them. Now if she was eating peanut m&m's...I'd have to leave the room. lol
Old 09-26-2015, 05:38 PM   #195
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, there are always those who can seem to eat anything...it usually bites them at some point though.

I use a mix of ground flax and ground chia daily. Flax has more studies and is higher in nutrients.
You can just put a tablespoon in juice, smoothie even water and just down it before it turns into flax egg.

LC'ers make a mock porridge from it but I use it to stretch oatmeal or oatbran cereal. But in smoothies, it is a great thickener so try that.

Back in the LC day there were a ton of flax recipes on these boards. I love flax muffins.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #196
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Nigel, I was thinking about the powerhouses for lowering lipids. Beans and oats (oatbran) are the other two food items that work great.

One Green Planet has a post with 25 bean recipes if you need inspiration and at the end of each recipe it has the link to the blogger who came up with it.

Although the hub loves beans/tofu, there are plenty of nights that we eat different meals. So, say, if I make bean balls/burgers/falafel, I freeze the leftovers and then just heat them up in the toaster oven.

You can add more beans by making hummus type dips and having it with vegies or atop a salad or bowl.
Even bean based desserts like brownies/ball/cookie dough......

Beans have endless possibilities and are a clean way to get fiber and nutrients.

Oats, of course, are a given. I use oat bran in smoothies and instead of flour as a thickener in bean burgers, loafs, etc.
I have also added back some muesli stretched with some nuts and chia ( I still am careful with carbs).

I know I've said before that we are big soup eaters so beans are common in this house. In summer we just eat it at a cooler temp.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:20 PM   #197
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, jem.

The doc actually told me to eat less beans...I hardly ever eat them lately,
I honestly don't think she's that knowledgeable about nutrition.

I used to eat beans all the time. I think I want to get back to it.

Oh yeah, the doc told me to eat very little low carb bread, which I don't get.

Yesterday I found some whole grain bread (it's on the small side), but it was only 7 carbs per slice and another one that was made from Spelt and it was 9 carbs per slice.

I feel that if I'm keeping my overall carbs low, then it shouldn't be a big deal if I eat a slice or two of LC bread. I eat the Joseph's lavash, which are lc too, but I forget the carb count, but I only eat one of them and only about once a week. Our local store has their brand of lc tortillas...they are small, but only 4 carbs each and I eat those. I seriously doubt that any of that is affecting my lipids. What do you think?

She also told me not to eat animal fats (I don't) and not to use coconut oil. I didn't feel like arguing with her, but I definitely disagree on the coconut oil.

Last edited by Nigel; 09-28-2015 at 12:21 PM..
Old 09-28-2015, 05:41 PM   #198
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Nigel, watch the coconut oil. That may be your problem. Why not try some other fat until the next lab draw and see what happens.

Plenty of people have had results that were unexpected with CO.

No I don't think it's the bread. Just get something good quality.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:22 PM   #199
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
yeah nigel--coconut oil may be the culprit. Weirdly some people have seen their cholesterol and triglycerides skyrocket on co.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:59 PM   #200
mttemple4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
My husband's cholesterol numbers also skyrocketed on coconut oil (and it wasn't that much either--I think a tablespoon a day between his smoothie and while making eggs). He ditched it and six months later, much better numbers!
Old 09-29-2015, 11:21 AM   #201
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks everyone. It could very well be the coconut oil as I've been using it a lot. I thought it was the healthier oil. I see my doc might be right after all.

I use olive oil quite often too...do ya'll think that is ok?
Old 09-29-2015, 11:34 AM   #202
mttemple4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
My husband has been using olive oil in lieu of the coconut oil and has seen his numbers improve simultaneously.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:14 PM   #203
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

EVOO is the best!! No issues at all.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:55 AM   #204
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Nigel, when's the next lab draw? If you drop the CO, it should improve your readings in three months easily.
Also may improve your ability to control weight gain if that's an issue.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:26 PM   #205
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have to go back in 3 months and see how it is.

I've been drinking the hisbiscus tea, but not enough..not every day. My Mom says at least a quart per day. I generally have about 12 oz per day. I'm so used to drinking water that I forget about the tea. I'm working on it.

I am not using the coconut oil and just using olive oil and we will see what the doc says next time. All the other times I had been using coconut oil for everything.

I'm not real worried about weight gain...so far I've done okay, but I do keep my carbs down most of the time just to make sure I don't gain.
I am doing more low carb juices and less fruity juices except for berries.
And I eat dinner, low carb every night. Some days I feel hungry so I eat breakfast or lunch and drink a couple of juices and then eat dinner, but I am feeling better and have a little more energy. I don't know why I feel so tired but it seems everyone around here has been tired, even the teen agers. lol Maybe its an epidemic? LOL
Old 10-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #206
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I have my cholesterol results from yesterday and they are about the same except that the trigs dropped from 72 to 59.
Total is 206 and last time 199. These are different labs and there's a bit of a difference in reference range.
The time before that, total was 230. I don't remember the rest but no problem. NP was unconcerned.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #207
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's good results. Way to go, Jem.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:23 PM   #208
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I decided to start B12. Since I consume dairy, I may not be deficient, but I'm also at an age where absorption might be lowering.

Anybody else feel the need?
Old 10-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #209
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I take B-12 tablets every day.

I have gotten the shots before and they helped a lot, but I haven't gotten any shots this year.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:47 PM   #210
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I don't think I'm that depleted but need to keep a decent level....never had it checked, though.

I bought some Quinoa, the red variety.
I used to eat it on occasion in my macrobiotic days but have avoided it, for some reason.
I saw a good deal at Costco but wanted to buy a smaller amount just to see if I'd really eat it. The red was on sale at the coop in bulk so I just got a couple cups.
Planning to cook some up tonight so we'll see how I feel about it.

I've been having an urge for polenta/cornmeal and am thinking of 'roasting' vegies in the crock pot to top it off. I think the idea started from the Chocolate Covered Diet post.