Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2015, 12:36 PM   #1
afurrything
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: afurrything
Stats: 240/210/135 5'3"
Start Date: October 2015
Would you do usual induction for a teen?

I've doen great with low carb over the years. Lost 80 lbs in 18 months, maintained for over 3 years, and then we moved and life kinda sucked and I gained back 30 lbs!
Me and my almost 13 year old are going to start induction next week, as soon as I can get to the grocery. She is obese. She needs to lose nearly 100 lbs. She has non-alcoholic fatty liver disease so that may add to her problems with weight. I have talked to her ped and he says to go ahead and try low carb and see how it affects her body.

Just curious if you would change anything for a teen?
afurrything is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
abby!
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
Good luck to you both. Hard to give advice when it comes to children but i'm glad your pediatrician is on board. Absolutely get rid of the processed carbs but the rest i don't know much about since i have no kids.
I found the following interesting though I 'm sure its something you know:
"A 2007 study of mice found that diets heavy in so-called high-glycemic carbohydrates (such as white rice, white bread, concentrated sugar, and many prepared breakfast cereals), which get quickly digested, may lead to fatty liver disease. "
http://health.usnews.com/health-news...ent-prevention
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
mimivac
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/130 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
There are some good threads here about kids and low carb. I believe the consensus is that low carb is good for kids. Some parents allow a little more leeway with things like fruit, sweet potatoes, etc., but I don't know if that's purely for sustainability purposes.

December 21 - Jan 19: 148.2 - 148.8; body fat: 37.8% - 38.4%
January 27 - Feb. 23: 143.4 - 142.4; body fat: 38.4% - 37.8%
March 1- March 29: 142.4 - 142.2; body fat: 37.5% - 37.9%
April 4: 142.6; body fat: 37.1%
April 11: 141.2;body fat: 37.8%
April 18: 141; body fat: 36.8%
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
mimivac
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/130 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimivac View Post
There are some good threads here about kids and low carb. I believe the consensus is that low carb is good for kids. Some parents allow a little more leeway with things like fruit, sweet potatoes, etc., but I don't know if that's purely for sustainability purposes.
And by "consensus" I am referring to the general opinion on this board.

December 21 - Jan 19: 148.2 - 148.8; body fat: 37.8% - 38.4%
January 27 - Feb. 23: 143.4 - 142.4; body fat: 38.4% - 37.8%
March 1- March 29: 142.4 - 142.2; body fat: 37.5% - 37.9%
April 4: 142.6; body fat: 37.1%
April 11: 141.2;body fat: 37.8%
April 18: 141; body fat: 36.8%
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #5
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/199/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I don't think I would if it were me. It is hard and it may be too much for her because it will be very different than what she is used to (probably, I don't know what you eat of course) and what her friends eat.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #6
afurrything
Senior LCF Member

It won't be too much different from what we eat now, me and her will just opt out of the starchy sides her siblings are eating.
We are beyond lucky to live 3 blocks from a farmers market to have ready access to fresh produce every day, and they also carry some fresh cut butcher meats! We're there nearly every day to see what produce they have marked down to move it. I once got 5 lbs of mushrooms for $1.
School lunches are what we're trying to figure out now. Any suggestions? Next year will be easier when she's in middle school and they have more options like a salad bar.

THANKS everyone. I guess I needed just a little more acceptance about this, even with her ped on board.
And Abby I have not heard that! You are awesome THANKS! I actually haven't done a lot of research on fatty liver disease. My baby, well she's 9, was diagnosed with Graves disease and then a few months ago asthma so I've been focusing on her this winter. I have never had any experience with asthma before. She has been sent from school to the er 3 times. We're having a heck of a time getting it controlled. She's been better now that the weather is getting nicer.

And thank you to whoever was able to merge my accounts and get me back!
Old 03-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #7
spaceace
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spaceace
As for lunch at school - I would buy some LC bread (like Great American Low Carb bread, online) and load it with meat and cheese, if she likes it. A LC condiment, like many mustards would help with taste, or some LC ketchup (Heinz makes this). I'm just trying to be sensitive to a 13-year old - generally at that age they dont want to stand out, and eating a "real sandwich" would cause less questioning and looks than something that looks like a "diet."

Just my thoughts, from somebody who was obese at 13 and wishes that I knew how metabolism worked at that age.
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #8
afurrything
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceace View Post
As for lunch at school - I would buy some LC bread (like Great American Low Carb bread, online) and load it with meat and cheese, if she likes it. A LC condiment, like many mustards would help with taste, or some LC ketchup (Heinz makes this). I'm just trying to be sensitive to a 13-year old - generally at that age they dont want to stand out, and eating a "real sandwich" would cause less questioning and looks than something that looks like a "diet."

Just my thoughts, from somebody who was obese at 13 and wishes that I knew how metabolism worked at that age.
Yeah we'll probably do sandwiches a lot, but not for induction. I guess salads and stuff.
She's so excited. She goes yearly for blood drawls to check her liver levels and we can't wait to see what they look like this year.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:18 PM   #9
sbarr
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
The fact that she is excited sold me.

If her pediatrician is onboard and your daughter is ready, then give it a try.

If it's something positive, something you can succeed as a family, then do it.

Like space - I wish I knew at 13 what I know now. I honestly thought spitting into a paper cup and dumping that would help me lose.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:47 PM   #10
afurrything
Senior LCF Member

She is so ready and excited. The weather is starting to get nicer here too so I'll have a walking buddy, and this summer we can swim. We moved late last summer to a house with a nice size pool. We didn't get much swimming in last year before it got cold but I bet this summer we're in the pool every day. Keep our minds off eating out of boredom, and getting exercise too!

I wish my mom had even wanted to try to help me when I was younger, but she was thin(she weighed 119 when she was 9 months pregnant with me) her whole family was thin, so she didn't know what to do with a fat kid. I took after my dad's side.

I didn't want to enforce my daughter on a diet. We eat pretty good, but I have always offered a starchy side to my family. And we aren't very wise at picking snacks. And of course the cheaper stuff is usually bad for you. I could make a ton of cupcakes for like $2, or buy maybe 2 apples. But now we're close to the farmers market so we have better options.
She's at an age where she wants to do this, and she can make decisions for her health. It won't be all mom being mean and restricting her. I can explain it to her, and help her make healthy decisions.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:02 PM   #11
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/199/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
If she's ready to do it, then go for it!
Old 03-25-2015, 06:27 PM   #12
webcrystal
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
(apologies for a long post but i'm pretty wordy read on if you want

I remember you .. and your so cute little pug ... I can sympathize as my son has fatty liver disease as well, and asthma and he also has an alpha-trypsin deficiency (sometimes confused with asthma - COPD runs on his father's side and emphysema on mine so he got something from each of us sigh). anyway his liver doctor is on board with low carb as well. Also for the NAFLD you might consider ensuring that her diet has sufficient lethicin rich foods (supposed to help with it). Foods high in it would be like Cod, Salmon, Shrimp, dark leafy greens, dairy/cheese, eggs (yolk), liver, peanut butter. Also some supplementation with egg based lethicin granules/caps (we stay away from the soy versions).

Anyway some suggestions for lunches...
I used to look at school menu and try to match if possible with a low carb version. Well unless he didn't like what they had (like he's not a fan of things like quesadilla's) .. with a lunch thermos (not the drink kind) we could match things like spaghetti (using spaghetti squash). Hamburger became just a hamburger patty (or meatballs) no bread (he just said he didn't like bread), chicken nuggets were low carb'd or just cubed/sliced chicken with salsa dip, etc.)

so other suggestions:

sunflower/pumpkin seeds and/or seed butter (they have really good nutritional value for things like zinc, etc. which also help with immune system).

I make a "trail mix" of sweet or savory flavored sunflower and pumpkin seeds (my fav are by Pumpkorn), lc choc chips, small lc "crackers", coconut flakes, sprinkle of cinnamon. You can also make a granola or your own "bar" very easily. (i've also broken up a lc atkins bar or other lc candy into the trail mix).

Aside from that - .
deli meat rollup (spread crm cheese, pickle spear, roll up)
cubed chicken (can also mix with cauli)
tuna they have tuna in a plastic cup with peel away lid (mix with mayo eat with spoon - if she has celery can put on that).
hard boiled or deviled eggs.
Cheesesticks,
Jerky
lc carb crackers (like those made with all cheese, flax, etc.),
celery/cucumber slice w/ ranch or cream cheese pkt (they sell box of like 6 individual pkts)
celery w/ seed/pnut butter (I usually send sunflower butter for kids with nut allergies and sunflower seed butter tastes pretty similar).
sliced veggie w/salsa,
avocado dip (i can buy individual lunch pkts here by Wholly Guacamole which is also all natural without a lot of gunk added),
depending on carb allowance hummus dip,
lc cookies/muffin
lunchables section have a "Protein" version which is meat, cheese, almonds
Vienna Sausages and/or hot dogs (if she doesn't mind cold hot dogs). pepperoni/salami slices.
olive/pickles.
egg/sausage/veggie muffins
pork rinds
home made low carb soup in a thermos
a few berries (not apple/orange/banana stuff)

also if you gets a good quality protein powder she can mix with water in a bottle and shake. also pkts of drink mix for water. (jay robb protein powder is great tasting and mixes easily).

Also with asthma etc. I would suggest gluten free of course (just my opinion not a doc).

Also to keep her excited about it send her searching for some good low carb recipes she can try herself. It can be fun and they seem more likely to eat what they make lol. I mean I've even seen low carb "poptarts" ! crazy awesome recipes ....

hope things go well

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV

Last edited by webcrystal; 03-25-2015 at 06:29 PM..
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:07 PM   #13
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/230/190 initial goal
WOE: attemping the Perfect Health Diet
Start Date: low carb - 11/2012, PHD - 2/2017
My 12.5 year old started low carb this week. It's a big change for him but he's doing well so far. I placed two Netrition orders this week already to make sure he has some low carb snacks. I figured I need some low carb subs so I am not about to tell him he can't have any! Breakfast and supper is no issue, but we are working on things to take for lunch. So far we have done hot dogs in a thermos, cold cuts, and hot dog chili. He does not want low carb bread or wraps at this point. I also made some jello jigglers type snacks with herbal fruit tea sweetened with swerve and stevia last night and he really likes those. They have protein too. I think we need to work on getting some more fat in, his main fat source is ranch dressing!

Last edited by Mistizoom; 03-25-2015 at 07:10 PM..
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:18 PM   #14
afurrything
Senior LCF Member

Awesome Thank you so much for all the ideas!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #15
webcrystal
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
darn forgot to mention salads .. cobb, etc.
and
LC Cheesecake muffins (really just mini cheesecakes) - if you make in a silicone cupcake baker (the individual ones) they pop right out.... easy to take and eat.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:24 PM   #16
Jennyl
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
I am not a doctor, and I don't have any personal experience....so this is just an opinion of mine. I would start on strict induction. If she had a little weight to lose, I might feel otherwise, but in my opinion, because she has so much to lose, I would just jump right in with induction. You can make wraps using lettuce leaves instead of low carb "breads." I would follow old school atkins rather than the new plans, and I would avoid any processed foods. that is my personal preference. I think talking to a doctor before is a good idea, and I hope you find one open to the idea of a low carb diet.
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:53 PM   #17
Janknitz
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Webcrystal has some great lunch ideas. I would just add that a cool lunch container can make it much easier for your daughter--something like a bento style box with compartments. There are some cool stainless steel ones available and less expensive plastic ones (I'm not a big fan of plastic). They seem expensive, but my stainless steel lunchbot has lasted a few years already and going strong.

It's easy to pack stuff like what you might have in a sandwich along with a utensil and eat it right out of the box. You can make food cute and fun bento style so that the stigma of low carb won't be there--everyone will want what SHE has. Add a wide mouth stainless steel thermos for soups and stews (or smoothies blended up at home) and she'll do fine.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #18
rachel2writer
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rachel2writer
Stats: 265/204.8/150
Start Date: 1/11/15
My 13YO daughter started low carb Jan 11 with the rest of the family. She was diagnosed as prediabetic and is about 50 pounds overweight.

We did a strict induction the first week to tame the sugar/carb demon, and then transitioned her to a moderate carb. She doesn't count carbs specifically, but eats no grains and no sugar plus occasional servings of beans, nuts, and a small amount of fruit. She has lost around 10 pounds since then, but we aren't focused on weight specifically. It's more about health and her lab work proves it - at follow up visit, her blood sugar, A1C, and other numbers were in perfect range!

We don't bother with low carb breads - for lunch, she takes a variety of celery and hummus, meat and cheese rollups, olives, summer sausage, tuna salad, cheese strings, etc.
3rd Goal: 175 (no longer obese)
Final Goal: 150

http://rachelrbs.blogspot.com/
rachel2writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:56 AM   #19
Its me - WENDALINA
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
bump

just wanted to bump this up because there are some GREAT ideas for lunches. The newness of school has worn off and lunches are starting to fall in to the same old rut.... this will help me tremendously! Thank you!!!!
Old 09-18-2015, 06:25 AM   #20
lcsam
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lcsam
Way to go mom! I wouldn't worry about her doing strict induction. It's important that her body switches from glucose burning to fat burning so be very dilligent for the next 2 weeks. Even a small amount of the wrong foods at this time can keep that process from happening. Remember to use a good multi vitamin/mineral supplement. Best of luck to you both!
lcsam is offline   Reply With Quote