CosmicGirl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CosmicGirl
WOE: Vegetarian.
Start Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fit4eva View Post

@ Everyone Here

I was wondering, what brought you to Callanetics? How did you come across and for what reason did you decide to try it out? I'm curious to see the different paths taken and diverse viewpoints.

I'll share mine tomorrow. Gotta run!
Good question. For me it all started when I was much, much younger. My Mum had a group of friends she had made on the school run and one of them - a very overweight lady - suddenly started cinching in all over her body and when she told the other mums her Callanetics 'secret', they all gave her blank copies of VHS tapes so she could copy it for them. My own mother did it for a few months and I sometimes joined her but I was so young that nothing really needed lifting anyway! Fast forward to ten years later and I found the copied VHS copy that my Mum no longer used and I took it home and did it everyday for a few months until the tape ran out and I had to order one of Ebay. (I have since replaced this with several of the different DVD programmes.) Over the years I have dabbled with a few other exercises but never seriously - I always come back to Callan.
CosmicGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2015, 08:04 AM   #32
Jigglebuster
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/148/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Oh! The quoting feature is working properly now! :O

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
Well after a quite horrendous miscarriage I am ready to start Callanetics again. This morning I did the AM/PM DVD all at once. As I haven't done this since August, my neck ached slightly with the stomach exercises and my hamstrings wouldn't stretch. But other than that, it felt good to be doing something so rewarding for my body again
CosmicGirl, I am so, so sorry. I'm sending you a big, long hug.

Maybe it's too soon, but something to put out there. Some find it helps to have an intimate ceremony, alone or with your SO, to say goodbye.

Be gentle with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
Good question. For me it all started when I was much, much younger. My Mum had a group of friends she had made on the school run and one of them - a very overweight lady - suddenly started cinching in all over her body and when she told the other mums her Callanetics 'secret', they all gave her blank copies of VHS tapes so she could copy it for them. My own mother did it for a few months and I sometimes joined her but I was so young that nothing really needed lifting anyway! Fast forward to ten years later and I found the copied VHS copy that my Mum no longer used and I took it home and did it everyday for a few months until the tape ran out and I had to order one of Ebay. (I have since replaced this with several of the different DVD programmes.) Over the years I have dabbled with a few other exercises but never seriously - I always come back to Callan.
Me too, sort of. It was about '92/'93 and I came home for the holidays between classes at university and, my mom was doing this VHS, so I joined her after I finished weightlifting. I was in amazing shape at the time but still struggled with a few of the exercises and stretches, enough to recognise the benefits when I kept doing it.

Years later, '09(?), I wasn't doing so well emotionally or physically; I was broken. All I knew was I needed something gentle to put me back on track and the first thing I thought of was that VHS tape. Then I went on a crazy search on the net to see if I could get it on DVD or download it... something, anything to get my life back again. And I found it, went for a long walkabout in a boreal forest, then came home and began pulsing. It was so healing for my heart, my self-esteem, and my body. I will forever be grateful to Callan for her healing ways.
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.25
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.25"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.0"/14.0
All this was done with Callanetics and playing outside!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #33
Gidget1965
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gidget1965
Hi Ladies!

I know what you mean about Callanetics having a healing effect on the mind as well as the body. Last Thursday I did "Quick Callanetics Legs" after work and I felt SO good all evening long. It may have only been a short 20 minutes, but something about the relaxed pace, the soft music and Callan's sweet, encouraging voice melted away all my tension.

Being here with all of you has reminded me that exercise doesn't have to be a miserable chore.
Gidget1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:18 AM   #34
Ouida
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ouida
I came to Callanetics because I couldn't find anything to help with my saddlebags. I typed in "get rid of saddlebags" or something similar. A video review site came up. One person did a review on the Callanetics video, and explicitly indicated that these exercises targeted saddlebags. I researched it further and found the routine. Tried it and saw the immediate changes.

I found a story on this very site, LowCarbFriends.com. A woman stated she did Callanetics with a friend when they were about 18 or 20 years old. She moved away and got on with her life and forgot about Callanetics. She then stated/wrote that she came back and saw this same friend about 20 plus years later as she, herself, was heading toward her next birthday. Her friend had continued with Callanetics all this time and she had not. Lastly, she went on to write that she is going on 44 and looks her age, while her friend looks and has the body of a 22 year old. Her last sentence was that she was going to re-start Callanetics STAT!

After I read that I was like, everybody got to move out the way- NOW. Where's that sign-up sheet? 'Cause I'm first in line with my pen in my hand!'

I have been disappointed by so many exercises in the past. I still had the thought, "Yeah, it worked for you but stuff doesn't always work for me." But I gave it my all. It did not disappoint, either.

After 6 months of Callanetics 3x per week, I have had men and women volunteer to me that I have the body of young girl. One gentleman was about 23 years old, another was in his 50's. The women that made similar 'young girl body' comments were in their 20's, 60's and 70's. I used to squint my eyes down hard, and look at people with suspicion and think,"Yeah, right. WHAT do you really want?" But now, I know that people are saying what they believe to be the truth.

Now I thank them and accept the compliment and use the opportunity to share about the benefits of Callanetics.
Ouida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #35
fit4eva
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fit4eva
Hi Everyone

So sorry for the delay in replying to all of you! I’ve been quite busy this last while, and before you look - days turn into weeks! Eeeeek!

I’ve managed to do 16 sessions so far this month, doing most of the exercises most of the time. Sometimes I have had to skip some due to time constraints etc. Other days I have done double sessions.

The good news is that I feel like I’m coming out of one of the doughy stages —— woohoo! Callanetics seems to be working quicker this time.

I’ll be poring over you Callanetics stories in the next few days and replying properly.

I’m busy with finals, so if there are a few days in between replies, or broken up replies - forgive me!

Sigh…. soon I’ll be posting on here like an overzealous paparazzi blogger!

@Gidget
Awww, that sucks about the hip & behind exercises. Your rotation plan sounds good, so I’m sure in the net few weeks you’ll be developing a sweet peach!

Yeah, I’m a hit and miss with the knee exercises. Sometimes my knees are a lot better doing and then occasionally they’re aggravated. I need to perfect the technique before I can work out if it’s the exercise, the exercise performed incorrectly, my dodggy and highly uneven floor or me typically overdoing it with other stuff.

Lol, bravo to you for attempting front splits! I’d probably break something if I attempted them.

@Cosimc Girl

I am so sorry for your loss. I wish you the best in your recovery.
fit4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #36
Gidget1965
Junior LCF Member

@fit4eva, welcome back! To answer your original question:

I started doing Callanetics because I was seeking a "dance related" form of exercise I could do at home. I had the best body of my life when I was taking ballet regularly (of course, I was a teenager then which helped), but then life got in they way as I got older and I quit. I tried gyms, various video tapes, gadgets, machines, you name it, but I just wasn't getting the same results. When I finally picked up the 10/10 VHS tape at my local movie store it was the ONLY thing I'd tried outside of dance class that actually WORKED.

@Ouida, I have no doubt you have the body of a young girl if you're doing Callanetics regularly. Keep up the good work!

@Cosmicgirl, I just read your post above. I'm so sorry for your loss.

@Jigglebuster, hi there! I have to apologize. You welcomed me a while ago and I never did respond, did I?
Old 10-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #37
CosmicGirl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CosmicGirl
WOE: Vegetarian.
Start Date: Jan 2014
Hi all,
Thanks for all the kind words.
Logging another AM/PM session together. Hoping after a few more of these I can progress back up to 10/10.
CosmicGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:31 AM   #38
Jigglebuster
Senior LCF Member

Last day of the month! How's everyone doing?

One of the struggles I have since beginning to do Callanetics outside, is feeling motivated to do it inside, but I realised that in my new place, I haven't felt I had the space to do my Callanetics indoors. Over time, I've made small changes, either from just living here or decorating and that feeling of not having a place to move is getting less and less. The result is my not having to push myself as much to start pulsing when doing it indoors. So I think this winter will come with much more fluidity in my day to day, including reaching up to the sky as far as I can.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:16 AM   #39
Ouida
Senior LCF Member

@Jigglebuster, glad to read that you are feeling like and making space inside for your Winter Callanetics sessions.

I did two (2) sessions of Super Callanetics this week. After session #1, the next evening, I was so exhausted and relaxed. I went to bed at 8pm and slept until 6 am the next morning. That was some good sleep, too.

I'm looking forward to doing three (3) sessions this coming week. I re-watched Callan showing how to do the Super Callanetics exercises. I noticed with the seated hip and thigh, with the extended leg, she looks almost twisted in that position. She's got that extended leg and hip turned in tightly.

I never noticed that before. I was watching it after the end of my session, and I got down and tried to copy her just to get a feel for the difference. I could BARELY do 5 pulses. It didn't necessarily hurt, but my leg felt heavy. Also, those pulses were tapping me in spots that I haven't felt before, in this 'new' position.

In February of 2016, I'll be going on my 3rd year of Callanetics. I think I just need to cease being surprised by continually noticing something "new" about these exercises. For me personally, the more I practice Callanetics, the stronger and/or more flexible I get or the deeper I do the exercise. At these points, I guess I'm ready and that's when an Aha! shows up, like yesterday. Callan's always talking about how when your body is ready, it will let you know. Whenever I'm 'ready', that's when I see, or hear something 'new'.

The muscle in the upper, outside part of both thighs is not just firm, but somewhat hard to the touch. In contrast, my inner thighs are still somewhat mushy and jiggly. That's okay, though!

The cellulite on my stomach is almost gone. The cellulite on the front of my thighs is starting to look better. The loose skin on my tummy still sags and hangs over the waist band of my underwear but that's getting better as well.

Happy Pulsing in November!

Last edited by Ouida; 11-01-2015 at 09:25 AM..
Old 11-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #40
Jigglebuster
Senior LCF Member

Ouida, that is exactly what I've talked about so many times. That's why I continued to watch / listen to the video for a couple years, and pop it in every once n a while to make sure I haven't forgotten anything, or maybe will hear something new, and of course get my Callan fix.

And yes, feeling like I have space to move is such a big thing. It really makes a difference in finding both the motivation and the freedom to pulse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget1965 View Post
@Jigglebuster, hi there! I have to apologize. You welcomed me a while ago and I never did respond, did I?
Thanks Gidget. I appreciate that.

By the way, I don't know if you've seen the Evo dvd but there are kneeling and standing hip exercises you could do that won't put so much pressure on you until you really strengthen them.

The other thing you can do is, really bring yourself into the hip and behind exercises slowly. Start by simply getting into the position and visualizing yourself doing the pulses, then after you feel comfortable and you have to positioning down pulse only 5-10 pulses. Each time you feel 100% comfortable, increase it another 5-10. Many have found success this way, I think you could too.

----------------------------------

I have a hammock, and today I discovered Callanetics in a hammock. It was amazing! No pressure points and added an extra challenge to really use my core muscles to stay balanced!
Old 11-04-2015, 09:26 AM   #41
Gidget1965
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post

By the way, I don't know if you've seen the Evo dvd but there are kneeling and standing hip exercises you could do that won't put so much pressure on you until you really strengthen them.

The other thing you can do is, really bring yourself into the hip and behind exercises slowly. Start by simply getting into the position and visualizing yourself doing the pulses, then after you feel comfortable and you have to positioning down pulse only 5-10 pulses. Each time you feel 100% comfortable, increase it another 5-10. Many have found success this way, I think you could too.!
Hi Jigglebuster!

Thank you so much for your suggestions. In retrospect, I think I may have been trying WAY too hard to "tighten & tuck" throughout the whole workout. I also think I might have been forcing myself to sit up too much during the seated hip & behind exercises. I forget that I'm quite a bit taller than Callan was, so it probably makes more sense for me to lean to the side and stretch my body out longer. (Less "crimping" on the lower back that way.)

I'm going to pull out my "Quick Callanetics Hip & Behind" DVD and study it carefully tonight. If I'm feeling confident, I'll try it in the morning and see how it goes... but GENTLY!

I don't know why I insist on pushing myself so hard. Maybe the lesson I'm supposed to learn from Callanetics this time is that' it's okay to slow down and enjoy the journey.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #42
Ouida
Senior LCF Member

@Jigglebuster, the Callanetics hammock session sounds intriguing. I think you should elaborate a little on that!

@Gidget1965, I think most of us come to Callanetics with the "no pain, no gain" mentality or the belief we need to push hard. It takes a little bit of time to re-adjust one's thinking. In time, it will come.

Okay, I did the "twist" for the sitting hip and behind exercises. Basically, my body is now going deeper into these positions. I am now physically able to position my body like Callan for these particular exercises. Tuesday was the first time.

I AM SO SORE! It's a good soreness, though!

Where? Ouch #1: In my back, right above my waist line on both sides. I can definitely feel this muscle being worked. This exercise [seated hip and behind], in this deeper position, is for sure a "back fat" destroyer. Ouch #2: Is on the mid to upper part on the outside of both my thighs. Ouch #3: Is deep in the muscle of my buttocks/behind on both sides.

The last time I was this sore was the first time I ever did 10/10. I need to up my water intake, too. I am looking forward to my session on Thursday.

You can't really do the exercises 'wrong'. As you continue with Callanetics, your body changes to help you better accommodate or help you better get into the positions and poses. That's because the more you do Callanetics, the stronger and more flexible you become.-to better be able to do Callanetics.

Essentially, Callanetics prepares your body to do Callanetics!

Let's see what Thursday's session brings. Happy pulsing everyone.

Last edited by Ouida; 11-04-2015 at 11:05 AM..
Old 11-04-2015, 01:01 PM   #43
Gidget1965
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouida View Post
You can't really do the exercises 'wrong'. As you continue with Callanetics, your body changes to help you better accommodate or help you better get into the positions and poses. That's because the more you do Callanetics, the stronger and more flexible you become.-to better be able to do Callanetics.

Essentially, Callanetics prepares your body to do Callanetics!
I like that philosophy, Ouida!

It's funny, but just last night I was talking to a friends who's known me for MANY years. I forgot what we were talking about, but at one point she said, "Everything you do, you seem to have to do 2,000 times harder than everyone else."

Gee, ya think she might be onto something there?
Old 11-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #44
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/110/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
I have a hammock, and today I discovered Callanetics in a hammock. It was amazing! No pressure points and added an extra challenge to really use my core muscles to stay balanced!
I've recently taken an Aerial Yoga and an AntiGravity Yoga class and I adored them both. I'm intrigued by the mention of hammock Callanetics and assume it's the same idea but with Callanetics rather than Yoga.

My Google Fu has let me down and I couldn't find any details on hammock Callanetics - is this something that is just local to you? Is there a book or DVD, please?

Mar. 2017 Rehabbing a foot and concussion. I currently have a lot of physiotherapy. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:43 PM   #45
Jigglebuster
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Jigglebuster!

Thank you so much for your suggestions. In retrospect, I think I may have been trying WAY too hard to "tighten & tuck" throughout the whole workout. I also think I might have been forcing myself to sit up too much during the seated hip & behind exercises. I forget that I'm quite a bit taller than Callan was, so it probably makes more sense for me to lean to the side and stretch my body out longer. (Less "crimping" on the lower back that way.)

I'm going to pull out my "Quick Callanetics Hip & Behind" DVD and study it carefully tonight. If I'm feeling confident, I'll try it in the morning and see how it goes... but GENTLY!

I don't know why I insist on pushing myself so hard. Maybe the lesson I'm supposed to learn from Callanetics this time is that' it's okay to slow down and enjoy the journey.
Yes Gentle! And from what you wrote, take what you think is 'gentle' and cut it down to what you think would be 'easy'. Given what you wrote below. I would do exactly what I suggested and go that slowly. Increase bit by bit once a week, no faster. When you have issues like that you need to be ULTRA gentle.

Quote:
Unfortunately, it looks like I need to lay off the hip & behind exercises, at least the seated ones anyway. Despite my best efforts to do them correctly, they've been aggravating the nerves coming out of my sacrum again.

I don't think it's the fault of the exercises, I think I'm just "built funny" in that area. I get this same kind of nerve compression whenever I do the hurdler's stretch, as can be found in Melissa Lowe's "The Ballet Workout." It also happens whenever I attempt the front splits. (Notice I said "attempt" them. LOL!)
--------------------------------------------------

Quote:
@Jigglebuster, the Callanetics hammock session sounds intriguing. I think you should elaborate a little on that!

Okay, I did the "twist" for the sitting hip and behind exercises. Basically, my body is now going deeper into these positions. I am now physically able to position my body like Callan for these particular exercises. Tuesday was the first time.

I AM SO SORE! It's a good soreness, though!

Where? Ouch #1: In my back, right above my waist line on both sides. I can definitely feel this muscle being worked. This exercise [seated hip and behind], in this deeper position, is for sure a "back fat" destroyer. Ouch #2: Is on the mid to upper part on the outside of both my thighs. Ouch #3: Is deep in the muscle of my buttocks/behind on both sides.
I'm worried you might have pushed yourself a bit there. If you're doing Super and have been for that long, your progress shouldn't leave you as sore as that if you're listening to your body.

Could you do something? Get into the non-leg-turned position, then close your eyes, and turn it. The moment you feel any other muscle constrict other than your hip or thigh i.e. lower back, you've gone too far for yourself. Turn back until the strain is gone and pulse there, and build from there.

I just want to make sure you're being safe. Overly constricted muscles that have been over worked have been known to pull bones out of alignment, even when people are not moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
I've recently taken an Aerial Yoga and an AntiGravity Yoga class and I adored them both. I'm intrigued by the mention of hammock Callanetics and assume it's the same idea but with Callanetics rather than Yoga.

My Google Fu has let me down and I couldn't find any details on hammock Callanetics - is this something that is just local to you? Is there a book or DVD, please?
LOL! This had me laughing so hard! I'm not laughing at you; I respect your search for this elusive form of exercise, but you don't know the story. So if you read the following you'll get an idea of why it made me laugh. Your Google fu has definitely not let you down....

So there I was sitting in my Mayan hammock watching Marvel:Agents of Steel, and of course the women are so powerful on the show I felt inspired to move. In the meantime, my bunny ears (antenna) were acting up and sometimes when I stick my leg out toward it, it makes everything work better.

With my leg out and my desire to move, I began pulsing the leg that was straightened out up and down. For those of you who don't know, a hammock is quite supportive and provides this support with almost no pressure points, so in recognising this, I found myself fully trusting the hammock, allowing myself to hang my upper torso off the hammock with my arms hanging out, stretching my chest during the commercial break. With that, I pulsed my arms from the shoulder joint and worked my upper pectorals.

The commercial was over and a new show I wasn't so interested in came on, and I continued. Many here know I had been doing my Callanetics outside, without a bar, using my core to support me (this was after a long time of doing Callanetics). Too, over time, I had begun to create my own Callanetics exercises using the the approach and understandings of Callanetics adapting to the circumstances I found myself in. So, with this and my other training in my background, I tried both exercises from the videos and positions I instinctively felt drawn to. The result of the exercises with the lovely movement of the hammock, was like a toned down version of aerial work, that and a combination of trying to get out of the net beneath a tight rope (not easy!), for mostly the lower 2/3s of the body, so i can see why it caught your eye, SlowSure. I can easily see how you could use the hammock as a bar-like support too.

I had fun! And I think I can really work with it to develop something powerful. Having to work with the movement of the hammock made me feel it not only would help to advance in my adaptability but had my core working constantly, front through back.

So, no dvd, and it's VERY local to me.

In saying that, have you ever tried Callanetics? If not, why don't you five it a try and then you can try it on a hammock once you have developed your inner, more intuitive understanding of the concept of Callanetics and the ability to listen to your body and adapt, which Callanetics is big on .

Welcome to the thread SlowSure!
Old 11-06-2015, 07:19 AM   #46
Jigglebuster
Senior LCF Member

I saw what you are talking about, SlowSure - a hammock chair with straps attached, so yes, I suppose I was doing something similar, but with Callanetics poses and pulsing incorporated.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #47
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I saw what you are talking about, SlowSure - a hammock chair with straps attached, so yes, I suppose I was doing something similar, but with Callanetics poses and pulsing incorporated.
Well, yes - it pretty much is the definition of hyperlocal as it was in your very own hammock and nowhere else. (Slightly relieved that it wasn't just my Google Fu.)

I'm interested in Callanetics tho' I'm finding it tricky to obtain books. I'm poor at following videos without subtitles (hearing loss).

There's nobody teaching Callanetics near me or I'd be interested in going along to learn correct form for some movements and then seeing if I could establish my own Hammock Callanetics.

Mar. 2017 Rehabbing a foot and concussion. I currently have a lot of physiotherapy. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #48
Jigglebuster
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well, yes - it pretty much is the definition of hyperlocal as it was in your very own hammock and nowhere else. (Slightly relieved that it wasn't just my Google Fu.)

I'm interested in Callanetics tho' I'm finding it tricky to obtain books. I'm poor at following videos without subtitles (hearing loss).

There's nobody teaching Callanetics near me or I'd be interested in going along to learn correct form for some movements and then seeing if I could establish my own Hammock Callanetics.
Try Amazon UK and do a search for Callanetics paperback and you'll get a list of them. I believe the "Complete Callanetics" will take you through from the beginners all the way up to Super Callanetics. Maybe someone else can comment more, as I have never read any of the books myself?

Also, there are a few certified teachers based in the London area. They list them on the official Callanetics website. You'll have to google.

Hope that helps!

And of course if you need encouragement or have a question, we are here!
Old 11-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #49
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Thank you.

I'd be grateful for any comments/recommendations about the books. I'm in maintenance so looking to improve my posture/muscle quality etc. rather than other considerations. I like the sound of it being easy on the joints/back (one of the many reasons that I like AntiGravity work aside from the sheer playfulness of it).

As far as I can tell, there's one registered Callanetics person for London (I'm discounting the one who is now teaching in South Africa ) oddly enough, she didn't turn up in my other searches, I don't know why - but those results were full of listings for places that don't teach Callanetics any more). I'll see if I can find a Wednesday to travel through to North London for a class and then decide whether I can see myself taking a 1-1 with her to check form etc. Again, for the suggestions.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:27 PM   #50
Ouida
Senior LCF Member

@Jigglebuster,
Thanks for the suggestion up thread. My soreness completely went away in a day or two. If I were in pain, then, I think that would be cause for concern. But that wasn't the case for me. Thanks, though. I hope you continue to watch out for us! I appreciate it.

@SlowandSure,
I am a visual and tactile learner. I prefer written information. I found the Callanetics books, 10 Years Younger and Super Callanetics, very detailed, thorough and helpful.

Last edited by Ouida; 11-06-2015 at 09:30 PM..
Old 11-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #51
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
@SlowandSure,
I am a visual and tactile learner. I prefer written information. I found the Callanetics books, 10 Years Younger and Super Callanetics, very detailed, thorough and helpful.
Thank you for this - they sound like they would suit me well.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #52
Gidget1965
Junior LCF Member

AHA!!!

Hi Everyone!

Thanks to your encouragement, I've been determined to sort out what I've been doing wrong in the seated hip & behind exercises. Last night, I pulled out my "10 in 10" book to see if I could figure things out and I had an interesting discovery.

I found an aerial shot of Callan's niece (the one with scoliosis) and another one of her elderly mother taken from straight on while they were both demonstrating the H&B exercises. In both instances, these ladies are CLEARLY pointing their supporting knees straight out in front of them. This allows you to take the working leg further behind you without torqueing/straining the lower back.

I think because of the funny camera angles in most of the books & videos, all this time I was trying to point my supporting knee out to the side. No wonder my back hurt!

Anyway, we all know the proof is in the pudding, so this morning I attempted my "QC Hips & Behind" DVD while applying this new knowledge. Can you believe my back actually felt BETTER after the workout than when I first got out of bed today?????

I can't tell you how thrilled I am. I'm SO grateful to all of you for not letting me give up.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:23 AM   #53
Ouida
Senior LCF Member

@Gidget1965,

Congratulations on your AHA! ! And more importantly, for not giving up on YOURSELF!

Brace yourself and get ready, you've now entered into the AHA Zone. The floodgates have been flung open. From here on out, you are going to continue to have one AHA! moment after another.

Don't choke on all that magic fairy dust to which you'll be exposed! That's because the changes and the things you discover on the road of Callanetics are so phenomenal one starts to think, "This just can't be real." But it is!

Bravo!

Last edited by Ouida; 11-10-2015 at 06:25 AM..
Old 11-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #54
Gidget1965
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
@Gidget1965,

Congratulations on your AHA! ! And more importantly, for not giving up on YOURSELF!

Brace yourself and get ready, you've now entered into the AHA Zone. The floodgates have been flung open. From here on out, you are going to continue to have one AHA! moment after another.

Don't choke on all that magic fairy dust to which you'll be exposed! That's because the changes and the things you discover on the road of Callanetics are so phenomenal one starts to think, "This just can't be real." But it is!

Bravo!
Thanks, Ouida! I just love the support & encouragement I've found on this forum.

And I'm LOVING the "Quick Callanetics" series. They've really freed me up time-wise while still allowing me to glean all the benefit of the original program.

I've recently revamped my schedule so that I'm doing one "quickie" a day in the mornings Sunday - Friday for my requisite two hours a week with Callan. Saturday mornings and Tuesday evenings I do the "Ballet Beautiful 60-minute Workout" for my two hours with Mary Helen.

This leaves me with plenty of time and energy to ride my horse AND have at least TWO free evenings a week! I'm starting to see just how important it is to have that "down time," both mentally and physically. I love both these styles of exercise so much, the last thing I want to do is burn myself out on them. (That's something that's been a problem for me in the past: it's gotta be all or nothing, right? WRONG! LOL!!!)
Old 11-14-2015, 01:25 AM   #55
fit4eva
Senior LCF Member

Hellllooooooo ladies and possible lurking gentlemen!

Life has decided to be kinder and now I can spend more time on here!

Now, to catch up on all of the messages!

Did anyone see that Katie Cassidy, actress of Arrow says that Kondi Callentics is a part of her fitness routine? I don’t think it’s “pure” Callanetics, but I think that there is a lot in it. The actress does also practice other fitness forms.

Reading through everyone’s replies, I’m so grateful that this is a resource of such a knowledgeable practice of Callanetics. My goal is to become as knowledgeable and as helpful as you all.

I’ve kept up my Callanetics practice and have completed 24 sessions sine October. I’ve completed the dvd most of the time, substituting Ballet Beautiful’s inner thigh workout for the pelvic rotations. About twice or so I I only did 30 minutes. This week was a bit hectic for me, so I only managed 1 session. However, I should hopefully get another session or 2 in. I’m planning on doing 10 in 10 for the rest of the month, and to then start studying/practicing Super Can from December, as I’m hoping to do SuperC for mot of 2016. I won’t force it, though.

My goal is to reach 60 sessions by the end of the year. Thumbs crossed I can do it. I won’t force it. I did discover this year that I used to do Callanetics every second day or so, because I thought that the muscles needed time to relax. That it was better. However, I’ve found that my body copes with it almost every day or every day. So, I’m listening to my body and attempting to do it everyday. My results are swifter, I’m mentally coping better because I’ve done “more” and the changes are quicker. I’m also coping with the differences in my strength better. Before, I would battle, because some days it was easier and then the next week it would be harder. This would irritate me. Now, halfway through the week I’ve battled and then it comes right! This seems to be working for the moment and is helping me stick with it However, the plan is loose. I’m not forcing myself into anything.

@Ouida
Your story is very relatable to me. Saddlebags and I have been very close friends for a lifetime. However, it’s more of a frenemies relationship. You know, keep your friends close and your enemies closer. However, in this instance I’d really like to win the war and remove the whole enemy relationship.

Quote:
@Jigglebuster

I'm looking forward to doing three (3) sessions this coming week. I re-watched Callan showing how to do the Super Callanetics exercises. I noticed with the seated hip and thigh, with the extended leg, she looks almost twisted in that position. She's got that extended leg and hip turned in tightly.

I never noticed that before. I was watching it after the end of my session, and I got down and tried to copy her just to get a feel for the difference. I could BARELY do 5 pulses. It didn't necessarily hurt, but my leg felt heavy. Also, those pulses were tapping me in spots that I haven't felt before, in this 'new' position.
The muscle in the upper, outside part of both thighs is not just firm, but somewhat hard to the touch. In contrast, my inner thighs are still somewhat mushy and jiggly. That's okay, though!

:

I’ve noticed that when I try to up my game or go back and visit what Callan says. Sometimes it seems as though it’s hard at first, then it seems to easy and then - BAM!, why can’t I do this?!

Nice results on the outer thighs!
Quote:
I love both these styles of exercise so much, the last thing I want to do is burn myself out on them. (That's something that's been a problem for me in the past: it's gotta be all or nothing, right? WRONG! LOL!!!)
I have found my exercise soul sisters in this thread!
@ SlowSure
Quote:

Hi Slowsure!

You can buy digital versions of the books from Amazon and other e-retailers. I've got the Complete Callanetics which has all of the exercises and the routine from 10 in 10 (the main Callanetics video) and SuperCallanetics. It has pictures of some of her students and the bodies of her students in the dvd aren't even close to the incredible bodies of the women in her books. Such variety of people who have different backgrounds which are quite inspiring.

She also breaks down all of the exercises with pictures and instructions how to perform them. There is also a bit of background as to how she came up with Callanetics. I highly recommend the book and will refer to it for the remainder of my Callanetics days!

The editing of the book is very well down and it is so easy to use and refer to on my Tablet. She also has a maintenance routine in the book for when you don’t have a lot of time.

@Gidget
Quote:

I think because of the funny camera angles in most of the books & videos, all this time I was trying to point my supporting knee out to the side. No wonder my back hurt!

Anyway, we all know the proof is in the pudding, so this morning I attempted my "QC Hips & Behind" DVD while applying this new knowledge. Can you believe my back actually felt BETTER after the workout than when I first got out of bed today?????

I can't tell you how thrilled I am. I'm SO grateful to all of you for not letting me give up.

Yay! Great news! I'm also finding that the book is improving my performance.

Quote:
I like that philosophy, Ouida!

It's funny, but just last night I was talking to a friends who's known me for MANY years. I forgot what we were talking about, but at one point she said, "Everything you do, you seem to have to do 2,000 times harder than everyone else."

:
When it comes to exercise, I think that we might be soul sisters.

@Jigglebuster
I’ve never done Callaneticss. It sounds like it might be very soothing.

I like your hammock story.

Quote:

The other thing you can do is, really bring yourself into the hip and behind exercises slowly. Start by simply getting into the position and visualizing yourself doing the pulses, then after you feel comfortable and you have to positioning down pulse only 5-10 pulses. Each time you feel 100% comfortable, increase it another 5-10. Many have found success this way, I think you could too.
Thanks for the tips! Do you do this just with Evo, or do you do it with 10 in 10 and SuperC?
Old 11-14-2015, 08:26 PM   #56
Gidget1965
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fit4eva View Post
When it comes to exercise, I think that we might be soul sisters.
I think you may be right!
Old 11-16-2015, 11:16 AM   #57
Ouida
Senior LCF Member

Hey!

Hope everyone is doing well. I have been doing my little pulsing with Callanetics. I got a new, never before seen shift happening to my body. I now have fat or a gathering of fat on the upper back part of my arms. My arms are skinny except for the chunk on the back. If I stand sideways and put my hand on my hip, in my picture you can easily notice the juicy arm/s.

I love it because my body is having to work to find new fat to mobilize from doing Callanetics. Usually my gut is fatty and jiggly from the gathering of fat by Callanetics. My gut is still jiggly with fat on it, and getting better, but the chunky arm is brand new! I also discovered I have a little muscle definition on the inside upper part of my arms. I've got new fat and new definition on my arms at the same time, which makes for an interesting combination.

I've got well defined calf muscles in the back of my leg and on the sides, too. I noticed all this in a photo that someone took of me last week.

For me, the dichotomy of Callanetics is that you see some types of changes quickly, but the fine tuning continues to happen over a long period of time. My gut is one of my biggest problems. Little by little, that fat is being chiseled off my waist. I like it.

Happy Pulsing!

Last edited by Ouida; 11-16-2015 at 11:20 AM..
Old 11-17-2015, 08:24 AM   #58
fit4eva
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hey!

Hope everyone is doing well. I have been doing my little pulsing with Callanetics. I got a new, never before seen shift happening to my body. I now have fat or a gathering of fat on the upper back part of my arms. My arms are skinny except for the chunk on the back. If I stand sideways and put my hand on my hip, in my picture you can easily notice the juicy arm/s.

I love it because my body is having to work to find new fat to mobilize from doing Callanetics. Usually my gut is fatty and jiggly from the gathering of fat by Callanetics. My gut is still jiggly with fat on it, and getting better, but the chunky arm is brand new! I also discovered I have a little muscle definition on the inside upper part of my arms. I've got new fat and new definition on my arms at the same time, which makes for an interesting combination.

I've got well defined calf muscles in the back of my leg and on the sides, too. I noticed all this in a photo that someone took of me last week.

For me, the dichotomy of Callanetics is that you see some types of changes quickly, but the fine tuning continues to happen over a long period of time. My gut is one of my biggest problems. Little by little, that fat is being chiseled off my waist. I like it.

Happy Pulsing!

Hey Ouida!

That is amazing! I never would have thought that would happen to a person's arms. I love your positive body image and how you enjoy these changes. It will be interesting to see how long this new "jiggle" lasts before it is smoothed out. Please update us on your progress and evolution.

I'm glad that you mentioned your calves, as I was wondering what type of effect Callaneticss would eventually have on the calves.

I never exercised yesterday because I was ill, but i did about an hour and a half the previous day. One normal session and then a hybrid of Evo and 10 Years Younger.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:38 AM   #59
Jigglebuster
Senior LCF Member

It was a cold weather shower warm-up this morning.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #60
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
Stats: 5' 7"/170cm, 61-63Kg
WOE: Kwasniewski
Start Date: Maintenance since 2001, VLC for six+ years now!
Best wishes to you all for a Happy Thanksgiving and a lovely holiday season.

"Protein metabolism requires some insulin response and any excess protein will be mostly converted to glucose, which requires a considerable amount of insulin to be used."
---Peter Dobromylskyj
Maintainers over-55 Thread

Daily Callanetics.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote