Old 10-31-2015, 02:14 AM   #1
debhs
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debhs
Stats: 238/185/150
WOE: moderate carb/if
Start Date: March 2014
Do I need to eliminate dairy?

I have just discovered that I am hypothyroid. I go Nov 11th to do my confirmation test. My TSH was 0.08 and my T4 was 4.6 with the low end of the range being 4.5. I have eliminated caffeine and from what I was reading I need to eliminate dairy also? So is anyone able to eat cheese or plain greek yogurt? I was also hypoglycemic at 69, but I try to stay away from sugar and processed foods, no bread, no pasta; but I do eat berries and cantelope. Greek yogurt plain with berries is one of my main lunches and I do think I will miss the dairy. Trying to eliminate what I need to gradually as we go forward and caffeine was my first and I just drink herbal tea instead. I will eliminate dairy if necessary just wanted some opinions before I start. Thank you.
debhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
How can you be HYPO with a TSH of 0.08? That would indicate HYPER. Do you have the number correct? A TSH that would indicate hypo would be 3.0 or above.

And why do you think you need to eliminate caffeine? I've been hypothyroid for about 15 years, and my endo actually encourages my coffee drinking because it helps me slowed metabolism.

The only problem with dairy is that calcium should not be taken within 4 hours of thyroid meds. Otherwise, there's no problem. My pharmacist even says that calcium in food is OK two hours later, and that the four hours should be for any calcium supplements we take.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:05 AM   #3
debhs
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debhs
Stats: 238/185/150
WOE: moderate carb/if
Start Date: March 2014
Thanks for the answer. My MD said subclinical hypothyroid but maybe I heard him wrong. As I was shocked in the change from the year before and my glucose was 69 and he is doing additional tests for that. Glad to hear I can still have caffeine and dairy.

Last edited by debhs; 11-01-2015 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: wrong number
debhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:23 PM   #4
rachel2writer
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rachel2writer
Stats: 265/204.8/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/11/15
Yep, TSH of 0.08 would not be hypothyroid. It's hyper. I personally consume some dairy with no problems, but YMMV.
3rd Goal: 175 (no longer obese)
Final Goal: 150

http://rachelrbs.blogspot.com/
rachel2writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:09 AM   #5
kristina
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kristina
Stats: 240/238.5/135
Start Date: 9-4-16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
How can you be HYPO with a TSH of 0.08? That would indicate HYPER. Do you have the number correct? A TSH that would indicate hypo would be 3.0 or above.

And why do you think you need to eliminate caffeine? I've been hypothyroid for about 15 years, and my endo actually encourages my coffee drinking because it helps me slowed metabolism.

The only problem with dairy is that calcium should not be taken within 4 hours of thyroid meds. Otherwise, there's no problem. My pharmacist even says that calcium in food is OK two hours later, and that the four hours should be for any calcium supplements we take.
I'm having difficulty with what to eat for breakfast. I got to thinking milk has calcium. Almond milk is fortified with it. So...cereal is out. I can't wait 2 hours to eat breakfast, I"m hungry

guess I can eat oatmeal?

eggs too.

I just like cereal and milk for breakfast, and am having a fit about it
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote