Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #91
G8trzz
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: G8trzz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: August 15, 2016
Lol you are far from long-winded! I appreciate the suggestions and plan to stock my kitchen so things are handy. In the meantime I will check out the recipes on Pinterest as well. When I find ones I like I will share. I think dinner is probably my biggest concern o I really want to plan well. Do you count calories or just eat what you have planned for the day. Thanks again I am really excited to take this journey!
G8trzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #92
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Tina-Marie
Stats: -68 lbs so far
WOE: SB mostly
Start Date: March 9, 2016
I don't count calories. Maybe I will be more concerned about it as my weight goes down and my weight loss gets harder. I found a recipe for chicken pizza. You pound out the chicken breast real thin. Then layer it in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Next layer pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese. It was yummy. It was yummy. I also like to make taco salad and just leave out the chips. I love to make stuffed peppers, veggie stir fry with chicken, spaghetti squash and meat balls with marinara sauce.. tonight was fresh trout with sliced onion and real bacon bits wrapped in foil and baked.

One of the things that was and sometimes still is the hardest is when you are out and about. Sometime you get out doing errands and one thing leads to another. You are hungry and the only thing is a vending machine. I started getting into the habit of keeping some nuts, string cheese, baggie of veggies with me for emergencies.

I sure hope it works for you.

I weighed yesterday and was up 3 lbs from last weekend. not surprised as I was sick and definitely didn't drink enough water. I splurged and had pizza last night too. Bad, bad, bad. I will weigh again this next weekend.
Tina-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #93
G8trzz
Junior LCF Member

That is good to know. I don't really want to begin my journey by counting calories. I want to concentrate on eating properly so it really shouldn't matter. All of your food ideas sound yummy. I do love fish, but I have to admit, on our yearly Utah trip, we stopped at Jackson Hole and I ate my first Trout at the Wagon Wheel Restaurant. I am amazed I remember where we ate it. I didn't realize however, that they leave the head on when they serve it!!! I eat seafood all the time living on the Gulf but never with the head on!! I tried so hard to eat it but felt like a cannibal with the eyes looking at me!! Silly I know!! You have done such an amazing job don't let those minor setbacks get you down!! Look at what you have accomplished with the weight you have lost!! I can only hope to be half as successful as you have been!
Old 08-10-2016, 06:35 PM   #94
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the pep talk.

I have never had the heads on the fish either. That would be creepy. I have never eaten trout in a restaurant. We have always caught them. It is lucky that I live near some many lakes and rivers.

I am looking forward to the weekend. It will be the first weekend I felt up to par. Summer colds are the worst especially when they linger and it is miserably hot outside.

I may go camping or to a free concert in the park. The concert is part of a big BBQ cook off and car show. It should be fun.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:54 PM   #95
G8trzz
Junior LCF Member

I do agree with you that fresh fish is much better than fish in a restaurant! I am certainly spoiled living on the gulf as we obviously have an abundance of fresh fish. I hope the weather holds for you and you are able to go fishing. It is sooo hot and miserable this time of year.
My weekend plans are to recover from the first week of school and to go grocery shopping!!
Old 08-13-2016, 08:30 AM   #96
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds like a good weekend. I can only imagine how exhausting the first week of school is for a teacher. All that excitement and energy the kids have at that time...
I bet you are excited to start the new way of eating. Just take one day at a time. My motto is that you can do anything for a day. So when that day is completed, you do it again the next day. Before you know it your first two weeks have passed.

I have a journal here that I post in daily. You are welcome to stop by. I post my daily menu there. My daily food choices are not spectacular by any means but it might give you some ideas. It is also a great to browse other journals to get ideas and fabulous support as well. Everyone has a different WOE but has the same goal.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=880991

I didn't get to go fishing because we had a couple days where thunder storms went through. There must of been one lightening strike real close because the flash and the thunder exploded at the same time and it was so loud it sounded like a bomb exploded. It sure made me jump.

I haven't been feeling well the last couple of weeks and I feel like I am in a stall as far as weight loss goes. Not the movement of the scale but how I feel. I am in a slump with no ambition.

I am going to the concert tonight but I am really having to force myself to go. If I hadn't invited a friend to go with me, I probably wouldn't go. I know what I get there I will be glad I went.

Off to get things done while it is still cool.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:18 AM   #97
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

Yesterday was very unproductive. I accomplished taking a nap and doing laundry.

I did go to he concert on Saturday and had a great time. Doing things like that is outside of my comfort zone. I don't like to put myself in front of other people using my walker because I am not good at brushing off peoples comments. However, my goal this summer was to get out of my house and enjoy life. It has been fun.

I didn't get enough veggies yesterday. but other then that, I was on plan.

Happy Monday, I am off to work.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:16 PM   #98
G8trzz
Junior LCF Member

Why do weekends have to go by so fast? Sometimes I wonder why I bother looking forward to it...lol. I used to be so self conscious of my feet because I wear a size 11 shoe and do not have pretty toes at all. So, for years I wouldn't wear sandals. After 57 years, I have decided I DON'T care what other people think because they don't know me and are not important in my life!! So now I wear sandals and capris every day to school and I honestly do not let it bother me!! It feels so much better! I am glad you went to the concert and enjoyed yourself!! Don't let what you think other people are thinking ruin your day!! They don't know you at all!!
After weighing in this morning, I almost fainted when I saw the scales!! The heaviest I have ever been in my life!! I am not going to beat myself up over it as it is what it is, but needless to say, I was ready to start today!! First thing this morning a colleague had made a red velvet cake from scratch and brought me a big piece. All I did was thank her and snuck it to my secretary!! Didn't touch it at all....just kept thinking about those scales!! I did really well today and for dinner I tried the chicken with the pizza sauce and turkey pepperoni. It was actually really good! I didn't have any sides with it but will do better with that next time. I am just going to take this one day at a time and remind myself daily of those scales!! I plan to weigh once a week and as long as I am losing something than I am succeeding!! Do you see my picture when my name comes up? My daughter helped me with it and it says it uploaded but I don't see it. She was thinking maybe others could see it but I couldn't. Way to go staying on plan!! You are amazing and an inspiration to me that I can do it too!!!
Old 08-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #99
wiz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiz
Start Date: 1/2/2008
I cannot believe a month has passed since I last posted here! How did that happen? Since then, I have been on business trips to Los Angeles and London, celebrated our 32nd wedding anniversary and finished up my second (and final) week of vacation for the summer.

Once again, I am back on track (I hope!!)

I've got a mini goal to lose 10 lbs in the next 5 weeks before a wedding we are attending. It should be doable, although now that I am older (56) - it is much tougher to get the weight off.

I made a big batch of home-made pesto from the monster basil plants I have going! I froze some of it, but have been using the rest in various recipes. It makes a nice marinade (well, really it is more like a paste) for grilling chicken or pork tenderloin. And of course, it is great with tomatoes from our garden and fresh mozzarella cheese as well.

I hope to be posting more regularly
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:45 PM   #100
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

G8trzz - 1st: Fabulous job avoiding the cake. That is hard to do. 2nd: I don't see the picture either. You may have to do it again. I don't think they have to approve it first. 3rd: that chicken is good.

Hi Wiz - Glad toe see you back. Sounds like you have had a busy month. 10 lbs is definitely doable. Easy Peasy

As far as what people think, if I didn't hear their comments, I would be fine. It is when I hear them that it bothers me.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:56 AM   #101
wiz
Senior LCF Member

As part of my new commitment...I am back here again today!!

Yesterday was great. 5-mile brisk walk, slice of veggie "quiche," salad with leftover chicken for lunch, afternoon snack of greek yogurt, and grilled boneless pork chop and a herbed green bean and grape tomato salad for dinner. And LOTS of water

Now I just have to keep it going!!
Old 08-17-2016, 09:32 PM   #102
G8trzz
Junior LCF Member

Day three and I am still hanging in there!! I had Greek yogurt for breakfast, grilled chicken salad and grapes for lunch and for dinner I had a taco salad with just the meat cheese and lettuce. For snacks I had a sugar free fat free pudding cup and my husband and I split an Atkins snack bar. I am probably not doing it exactly the way South Beach would like but I am pretty close and eating healthy. Do you happen to know what our daily carb and sugar intake should be? I try not to eat anything with sugar but I think the salad dressing had 1. What is acceptable? Wiz I am glad you are back! I enjoyed reading your posts as well!! It is late so I will wit until tomorrow to try again to post my picture. For now I guess I will remain a mystery... Lol. have a good day tomorrow!!
Old 08-17-2016, 09:35 PM   #103
G8trzz
Junior LCF Member

Tina there will unfortunately always be jerks in this world who are so quick to judge others... I am sorry you have to hear their rude comments.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:56 PM   #104
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

You are off to a great start with your menu Wiz.

I am probably the worst dieter. I don't count the carbs and sugars. I know some of the stuff I eat has sugar... the greek yogurt I get has 7 grams, the Daves killer bread I eat has some sugar.. I just try to limit eating sugars but I know it is hard to avoid. I just make sure that when I am eating carbs and sugars they are healthy choices and minimal amounts and that they are worth it. I don't know if that makes sense. It is what works for me. Your menu looks great.

As for me, it is incredibly hot and no matter how much water I drink, I still seem to be retaining it. I know it will go away when the weather cools down.

Last edited by Tina-Marie; 08-17-2016 at 09:57 PM..
Old 08-18-2016, 05:11 AM   #105
wiz
Senior LCF Member

We made a tasty dinner last night - Grilled Eggplant Parmesan Stacks (my own invention )

I cut an eggplant and large Jersey tomato into half-inch thick disks, brushed them with EVOO and seasoned with salt/pepper. Mr. Wiz grilled them until softened (but not mushy). I then stacked 1 eggplant slice, 1 tomato slice topped with parmesan and mozzarella cheese plus fresh basil, and a top slice of eggplant. I threw them in the oven at 350 for a few minutes to melt the cheese. It made 4 stacks, 2 for each of us.

Very SBD friendly!

G8rtzz, As I recall from the book (I need to dig out my copy), you don't really count carbs or sugars. It's more about following the food lists.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:25 PM   #106
G8trzz
Junior LCF Member

Yum that sounds really good Wiz!!! Yea I really felt like the book left me with a lot of questions, but I felt I could do the program and not think of it as dieting. I am not counting calories and am glad to know I don't have to count carbs or sugars even though I am watching them carefully. I also eat the greek yogurt and the lowest sugar amount I could find was 7 as well. I did sneak on the scales this morning and was down 3 lbs so it is working!! If I only lose 1-2 pounds a week I can live with it!! I realize there will be some weeks where I may not lose at all but that is ok as long as I am sticking with the program.
The biggest thing for me is I do not want to be hungry 30 minutes after I eat and so far it is working!
Old 08-18-2016, 09:13 PM   #107
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

Congrats on the loss G8trzz!!! That is fabulous! It sure makes you feel good to see some results. You are right about not wanting to be hungry. Don't hesitate to ask any questions. What we don't know, we can find out together.

Wiz: That does sound good. I have never had eggplant before. I will have to try it.

I have been staying on plan. It has been so hot here, that I haven't felt like eating much. I can tell that the heat has caused water retention so I am not wanting to step on the scale. I went shopping in the back of my closet and found a couple tops that I can fit now. That was cool. It is past my bed time... Nite all.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #108
wiz
Senior LCF Member

Nice loss G8trzz!!!

Tina-Marie, it has been hot as heck here too. I am really tired of it. (Although don't quote me on that in January. LOL)

If you do make the eggplant, peel it. I find the peel to be bitter, although I do know folks that eat it.

Last night was Stuffed Mexi Peppers. I halve and roast 3 red peppers at 400 until blackened. (I usually turn them over when the top side starts looking charred.) In the mean time, I brown 1 lb ground turkey and a small chopped onion, skimming off fat. I add in a thawed/drained 10-oz box chopped spinach, 16 oz jar of salsa, chili powder and cumin to taste. Remove from heat and mix in about 1/2 cup of RF cheddar jack cheese. I then stuff the peppers (can be made ahead and refrigerated) and reheat at 350 for about 20 mins until cheese melted.

I do other stuffing as well - they can be veggie with spinach, mushrooms, onion, sun-dried tomatoes. They can be Italian or Provencale flavored, etc. I really enjoy them as leftovers!

TGIF!!! My official weigh-in day is Friday and I was not thrilled with the scale but certainly it is headed in the right direction!! Now I need to get through the weekend without too much damage.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:27 PM   #109
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

I was going to weigh in today but got up and got busy... I forget. I went to breakfast and had a yummy omelet with bacon, crab and avocado. Topped with hollendaise sauce. I suppose the hollendaise sauce is bad, but there wasn't much. I did go get my hair cut and did some shopping. Dinner was pizza toppings and some veggies.

My favorite season is Fall. I wish it lasted longer then it does. Right now we have a fire nearby and the air is smoky and makes the air feel muggy and hot.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:49 PM   #110
G8trzz
Junior LCF Member

Tomorrow will be one week for me. I am anxious to weigh in and have decided to only weigh on Mondays. I know weight can fluctuate and I don't want to get discouraged. It was actually a good week and I continue to feel very determined to stick with my program. Kept to the program at my brother's house Friday night and Saturday at Costco was able to leave the samples alone (unless it was something I was allowed!) and focused on the items we can eat! Today I baked salmon for the first time and it was delicious! We will definitely be eating more of it! So far things are going well for me and I am looking forward to another good week! Will report weight loss tomorrow night. Hope you both did well and enjoyed your weekend!!
Old 08-22-2016, 05:39 AM   #111
wiz
Senior LCF Member

Well, after a very fun-filled weekend, I was up 1 lb. I was hoping to stay the same, so it was a bit disappointing. However, I am back at it this morning!

G8, hope the weigh-in goes well for you!!

Tina-Marie, while I do love the Fall - I live at the beach. So summer is clearly my favorite time of year. I would love an endless summer

FYI. Twisted my knee running on Saturday morning and it is still killing me. No exercise for a few days, I am sorry to say. That will not be helping my weight loss journey.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:39 PM   #112
buckhuntress
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
Start Date: 1/2005
My weight has been fluctuating so badly and a few pounds seem to have snuck back up on me. I really havent been doing much different.
I guess Im gonna try smaller, more frequent meals
ugh, why does it have to be so hard? lol
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:08 PM   #113
G8trzz
Junior LCF Member

My first "official" weigh in today and I lost 7 pounds! I am excited but I realize that the first week is usually always the most weight loss! My husband lost 11 and only has 25 more to go. I have 43 but when I get to that goal I will most likely want to lose another 10. I had a heart calcium scan done a few weeks ago as my family has heart disease. My scan wasn't great but I definitely have room for improvement. This just makes all the more sense as to how critical it is to continue to eat healthy. I am doing South Beach 95% of the time. I really have enjoyed it and for me to say that is BIG!!!
Wiz: So sorry you twisted your knee, I hope it isn't too long before you are back up and running!
Buck huntress: Hang in there, at least you are trying to do something about it! Good luck!
Old 08-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #114
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

Way to go G8trzz! A loss is a loss.

Wiz; sorry about your knee.

BH: I know what you mean about it being hard and so frustrating at times. You can do it though, hang in there.

I forgot to weigh Sunday. I will try later this week. Since the weather has been cooler I may go fishing. Right after my nap.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:09 AM   #115
wiz
Senior LCF Member

Hello all!

Finally the 1 lb gain from the weekend is gone, plus a little bit more! My knee is still not right, so I am really babying it.

We've been using up food from the freezer this week, so while my meals have been OP - they have been weird combinations of stuff! But today Mr. Wiz will be heading off to the grocery store and I can do some real cooking.

BH, you and I both know only too well how tricky it is to lose weight consistently (and keeping it off is a whole other story!) Hang in there. Set smaller intermediate goals so it doesn't seem so insurmountable. That's what I am doing, it keeps me focused.

G8, wow! 7 lbs is amazing!!

TM, Loving this cooler weather! We have the windows open for the first time in weeks.

I hope everyone has a great day!!
Old 08-24-2016, 09:15 PM   #116
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

Well I weighed this morning and still the same weight as the last time. That is about 3 weeks... if it sounds like a stall and looks like a stall, it must be a stall. No worries, I know it happens.

I am falling asleep as I type. I guess that is a sign it is time for bed.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:34 AM   #117
wiz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina-Marie View Post
Well I weighed this morning and still the same weight as the last time. That is about 3 weeks... if it sounds like a stall and looks like a stall, it must be a stall. No worries, I know it happens.

I am falling asleep as I type. I guess that is a sign it is time for bed.
I HATE a stall!!

I am sure you know the drill...maybe shake things up a little. While staying OP, eat a few different foods or add more water. Or change up your exercise routine. Of course, one day you will wake up and "BAM" the scale will have moved!!

Official weekly weigh-in tomorrow, but scale has been directionally correct all week. Still limping around with this knee...so exercise has been non-existent. sigh.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #118
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

I just get frustrated at the wasted time laps that something could have been happening. The first thought when this happens is to eat less but I know that is not always the right move. I have added in more fruit because I really have not been eating much. I was thinking about doing a week of phase one. Not quite sure. You are right. One day the scale will just move.

I have a wedding to go to this weekend. I have plans to go "shopping" in my closet. There is a pair of slacks that I had bought a couple years ago and didn't fit at the time. I am hoping they might fit for the wedding. Cross your fingers.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #119
G8trzz
Junior LCF Member

Ev n though I have only been doing this a little less than 2 weeks I worry when the time comes that I face a stall. I know it will happen but I just don't want to be so frustrated that I do something stupid. Hang in there Tina , it will come off!! I do know I am not going to weigh anymore than once a week. Right now I am so focused on that and I realize I need to spend my energy on other things. For the past few weeks I have been having stomach pains in the upper part of my stomach. I was diagnosed with mild diverticulitis this summer so I really hope and pray it's not my diet as this is truly how I want to eat for life. I was not really ever a big meat eater but I loved breads... That was my downfall. I have been eating so much more protein.... Mostly chicken and some fish so I'm wondering if it was that.
Way to go Wiz on losing that pound!!!
Old 08-26-2016, 05:13 AM   #120
wiz
Senior LCF Member

"Official" weekly weigh-in was today and I was down 1.5 lbs from last week! So I am halfway to my mini goal of losing 10 lbs before the wedding we are attending on Sept. 17th.

No plans this weekend, so I am hoping that I can keep my eating pretty clean. But you all know how weekends seem to roll...anything can and will happen to get me off track.

TM - LOVE shopping in my closet when I am losing weight!! Nothing like pulling out something you haven't worn in months and having it fit. And by the way, doing a week (or even a couple days) of Phase 1 is always a good way to get the scale moving again.

G8 - My Dad has Diverticulitis, definitely avoid seeds (including in tomatoes, berries, etc. ) and nuts. But that shouldn't be a huge impact for the SBD.

TGIF!!!