Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 05-03-2016, 07:33 AM   #1
sarahatl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Help me understand these numbers...

Hi All:
I am hoping someone can help me. My cholesterol numbers seem to go up slightly every year. This past year my total was 225. The Dr. said that that was high-(this was a yearly work physical I get) and suggested that I go to my GP and try and reduce these numbers through diet. Here are my numbers
Cholesterol Total 225 (anything over 200 is high)
Triglycerides 34
HDL 118
LDL was 100 (should be less than 100)
I told him I thought the numbers looked OK....he said no "it's the ratio"
I had been eating a higher fat, LC diet. I am not over weight. Do you think I should limit my saturated fat intake (dairy fats)? What are your thoughts on these numbers?
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2016, 03:35 PM   #2
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I have no idea what this doctor was talking about UNLESS he just looked at the total number--which means nothing, of course.

Your high HDL is superb, and it's tough to keep LDL within the low range they use, but yours is right on--my lab uses 100 as the upper limit. Is that yours too?

Your triglycerides are also excellent.

I see this all the time on my own labs. The lab 'flags' everything that's not in range, so it will 'flag' the HDL as 'high' when that's a GOOD thing. Then the total is flagged as well because of that high HDL number.

Many doctors just look quickly at the labs, see the total number is 'high' and make noises about diet, etc.

This guy should have been congratulating you on your excellent numbers!
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:13 AM   #3
sarahatl
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I have no idea what this doctor was talking about UNLESS he just looked at the total number--which means nothing, of course.

Your high HDL is superb, and it's tough to keep LDL within the low range they use, but yours is right on--my lab uses 100 as the upper limit. Is that yours too?

Your triglycerides are also excellent.

I see this all the time on my own labs. The lab 'flags' everything that's not in range, so it will 'flag' the HDL as 'high' when that's a GOOD thing. Then the total is flagged as well because of that high HDL number.

Many doctors just look quickly at the labs, see the total number is 'high' and make noises about diet, etc.

This guy should have been congratulating you on your excellent numbers!
Thank you Leo! That is what I thought. You know these doctors really scare me sometimes. I was trying to tell him I thought it was OK ...but he kept saying..."well it's the ratio that is important".... scary.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:02 AM   #4
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/100-108
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Your TC:HDL ratio is fine - it's 1.91 (typically recommended that it should be <4 with <3.5 categorised as ideal).

ETA: I just put your numbers into
hughcalc

Your report summary is:
Quote:
Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 1.91 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL
Your LDL/HDL ratio is: 0.847 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 2.0) IDEAL
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.288 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL
Running your numbers, your LDL is 100mg/dL using the Friedewald calculation but only 61.7mg/dL using the Iranian formula (LDL is estimated from the HDL and TC which are measured, it isn't measured directly however, it's well established that those of us with lower than normal triglycerides don't fit within that rubric and the Iranian formula is more appropriate).

Friedewald (1972) Formula: LDL = TC - HDL - TG/5.0 (mg/dL).

"Iranian" (2008) Formula: LDL = TC/1.19 + TG/1.9 – HDL/1.1 – 38 (mg/dL).

Feb. 2016 A DXA scan shows very low muscle mass (sarcopenia). I currently have a lot of physiotherapy. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #5
sarahatl
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much slowsure for the numbers!