Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 05-17-2016, 07:26 AM   #1
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: LC/IF/JUDDD
Start Date: Which time?
Double checking ratios

Going to see the doc today and want to reaffirm my ratios are good. This was my first cholesterol test I'd ever had to my knowledge so I have nothing to measure this test by (ran in March). Because of the total cholesterol number, she wanted me to start COQ10 (which I did) and red rice yeast (which I did not) so that it would create a statin affect. Or, I could start a low dose statin. Not doing that.

I came here, did research, read Cholesterol Clarity, and found my ratios are ideal according to the Hugh Calculator. The profile didn't list the C-Reactive Protein, something Jimmy mentions as another important marker.

Anyway, I'm listing my numbers here as I want to make sure I plugged the right numbers in the ratio calculator. I bolded the numbers I used.

LDL-P: 1465 Range: <1000
LDL-C: 129 Range: 0-99
HDL-C: 71 Range: >39
Triglycerides: 127 Range: 0-149
Cholesterol, Total: 225 Range: 100-199
HDL-P (Total): 42.3 Range: >=30.5
Small LDL-P: 362 Range: <527
LDL Size: 21.1 Range: >20.5
LP-IR Score: 40 Range: <=45

Thanks for looking.

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2016, 10:36 AM   #2
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
My doctor told me that he only cares about the LDL-P (LDL particles) and will treat if that number is high, which yours is. I have very high HDL (somewhere in the 90's). Yours are high too, which is good as it's protective, but my LDL particles are high, so I'm on a statin. My doctor had me try red yeast rice which does act like a statin, but it didn't work for me. I will add, however, that he had me take 1/2 the dose of what the bottle said, so it may have worked better if I was taking the full dose. I'm sorry I don't know anything about ratios, but I wanted to share with you what my doctor said. Good luck to you!

Last edited by Ronnie51; 05-17-2016 at 10:39 AM..
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

After reading about statins, I don't even want anything that simulates a statin. The biggest thing is that I'm hoping this test show improvement were it a second test, not a first.

I can't get a handle on the LDL-P, the LDL-C, the Small LDL-P, and LDL Size and which is what!! lol This test seems to be the preferred one but is sure lacking some details.

I meant to post this much earlier to make sure I was on target with my ratios, so my bad!

Thanks for responding, I appreciate it!

Old 05-24-2016, 02:33 AM   #4
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/110/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
As I've mentioned elsewhere, my cholesterol and lipoprotein numbers may well have gone very odd even when I was weight stable after losing my scale weight: I had an absurdly high total cholesterol and LDL reading. We don't routinely measure particle number or conduct NMR analysis in the UK unless you're under the care of a tertiary level cardiology centre and altho' I'm curious the private tests are prohibitively expensive (it would cost in excess of the equivalent of $1000). 2 years later, my cholesterol and lipoprotein numbers are very different.

You used the correct numbers to calculate the standard ratios.

Which ratios did you calculate? The results from my check on HughCalc for you are as follows:

Your Total Cholesterol of 225 is BORDERLINE
Your LDL of 129 is NEAR OPTIMAL
Your HDL of 71 is OPTIMAL
Your Triglyceride level of 125 is NORMAL

RATIOS:

Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 3.17 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL
Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.550 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) IDEAL
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 1.761 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #5
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

SlowSure - sorry for the long response time! Thank you, yes I got the same results as yours. I respectively told my doctor that I wasn't worried about my cholesterol and why. As an aside, my A1C had gone down to 5.4 which she was thrilled with. I'm not diabetic, but the first test results were 5.6.

We're going to test my cholesterol again in a couple of months and I'm hoping to see my numbers get even better. I so want to show that eating low carb isn't bad for us!

Still working on getting my thyroid optimal and it will help me to begin losing weight. Some would be better than none!

Thanks for responding