Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 06-10-2016, 07:41 PM   #1
davisdanes
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: davisdanes
Two Years Eight Months Out...

Hello all. New to this vine. I had my WLS a couple of years ago, the one thing I can say that I actually hate is that I'm constantly hungry...well not really, let me explain, and I would love to know if anybody else has this 'problem'. I still eat very little food, I've lost a considerable amount of weight though I still have thirty lbs to go. This has been my situation from the very beginning. When I don't eat I'm not hungry...really if I don't eat I can go without even thinking about food, the problem with that is that my blood sugar drops to dangerous lows...so I have to eat something...once I swallow the first bite, hunger hits me like a brick wall...and before surgery I never really knew what hunger is...hunger is painful. Once I swallow that first bite I am sooooo hungry I could probably eat my smallest child...but I can't eat much because my sleeve is still so small...I'm eating the same about I ate at about six months out, I know, my surgeon has told me he is concerned about that as well, but I was so terrified in the beginning that I would stretch my stomach, I didn't dare eat much. Fast forward to today, I got up this morning at 8am, did not eat breakfast, went grocery shopping, at around noon I realized that my blood sugar was dropping so I grabbed a container of strawberries and ate them as I continued shopping, by the time I was at the checkout I was starving. The main problem with this is that I can never eat enough to make the hunger go away initially...it takes hours of being in pain and hungry...not fun. Does anybody else experience this? I'm thinking that maybe I need to increase my fats, will be making fat bombs this weekend. Any insight would be appreciated.
davisdanes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2016, 07:47 AM   #2
GME
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/199/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I have no experience with WLS, but I wonder of it is some kind of stomach acid or something, not really hunger. I have heard people say before that they thought they were hungry, but when they got their digestive issues under control they found out it wasn't. I don't think hunger "hurts" for most people, even with WLS.

What if you eat something very dense and fatty like macademia nuts or butter or avocado when you do eat? The fat bombs might be a good thing to try.

Have you tried eating small amounts on a schedule so your blood sugar doesn't dip?

Do you normally eat LC? Like I said, I don't have experience with weight loss surgey, but having to remedy low blood sugar after skipping one meal isn't a good sign. If you are eating carby food when you do eat your BS could be going too high, then dropping again.

It sounds awful and I hope you figure something out.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
Jesse
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
China's given you some good advice. Do you take anything for acid? Have you been checked for an ulcer? Do you eat regularily? Increasing good fats does seem like something to try. I hope that gives you some relief.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
davisdanes
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for the comments. Yes, I am a low carber...I was before the WLS I'm very very strict when it comes to what I eat as there are certain things that will just upset my stomach because of the surgery. Low carbing is the only way I can actually eat. I eat avocados almost on a daily basis, nuts every now and then, they tend to irritate my stomach. I've spoken with my surgery about the pain when I'm hungry he stated that for the first time in my life I am actually feeling what true hunger feels like. He assumes I have this problem due to the portion of the stomach that was removed and that it will probably persist forever...I am one of those people who never say never...there has to be something I can do to get myself into a place where I am comfortable. Because of this food is more of a challenge than before the surgery. I eat six to eight times daily, when we have surgery that reduces the size of our stomach we have to eat more often, small meals of course because our stomachs are so small, to get nutrition. Thank you GME, I hope I can figure this out as well.

I take medication for reflux, I took that before the surgery, they do extensive testing before and after surgery no I don't have an ulcer. Thank you Jesse, you guys are wonderful.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #5
Jesse
Major LCF Poster!

I thought of one other idea, could your stomach be having spasms when food enters? Not to diss your doctor, but saying you never knew hunger before is kind of dismissive. I've never heard any of my naturally thinner friends say I got so hungry that when I finally did eat my hunger was insatiable and I felt hunger pains for hours afterward. Sounds like something else is going on. Especially since you have absence of hunger pains until you eat. That is not typical of any person I know. Have you been checked for reactive hypoglycemia? Might explain some of the blood sugar issues.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:40 PM   #6
davisdanes
Junior LCF Member

Jesse, wouldn't that only apply to people who eat high carb meals? I am a strict low carber, I keep my carbs right around ten daily...so I don't think this applies to me, unless I don't understand reactive hypoglycemia...which is possible
Old 06-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #7
Jesse
Major LCF Poster!

I know very little about reactive hypoglycemia, except that I know another sleever who had to up her carbs; that going super low carb was triggering it. I think it is more common with bypass than sleeve, but some sleeve people do get it.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #8
davisdanes
Junior LCF Member

I will have to look this up but I believe you have this backwards. From my knowledge reactive hypoglycemia happens to people who eat high carb diets...if I am right, a person would eat a high carb meal and the blood sugar would drop dangerously low like with in a couple of hours...I might be wrong, but I believe that is what happens...this does not happen to me. My blood sugar only drops when I don't eat, not right after eating. I was having terrible numbers for several months when I woke up every morning...it was frightening, so I either had to eat something right before bed which I could not bring myself to do or I had to eat something immediately when I woke up. This does not happen anymore...I'm not sure why as I've not changed anything. This is just a symptom of the surgery...
Old 01-11-2017, 09:15 PM   #9
BonnyLass
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BonnyLass
Stats: 285/163/135
WOE: low carb/starch blockers when needed
Start Date: 73'low carb 4evr.Never fell for low fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisdanes View Post
Jesse, wouldn't that only apply to people who eat high carb meals? I am a strict low carber, I keep my carbs right around ten daily...so I don't think this applies to me, unless I don't understand reactive hypoglycemia...which is possible
A pint of strawberries has 30 grams of carbs. If you aren't hungry til you eat, but you eat because you feel your blood sugar dropping, maybe you should be prepared by having a low carb shake or a piece of cheese or chicken at the ready. I had my surgery in 1999, nothing sets off my hunger more than too much fruit. As for the physical pain, it still happens to me when I eat too fast, wolf my food and don't take the time to chew.
BonnyLass is offline   Reply With Quote