Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2016, 07:51 AM   #1
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/220/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Fasting with Jason Fung- Part 2

Well, it looks like our last thread is about to get closed because it has gotten so long.

The original thread started on the JUDDD board as a way for me to share some interesting information about fasting and metabolism that I stumbled across on the blog of Canadian nephrologist, Dr. Jason Fung. He specializes in treating diabetic patients with damaged kidneys.

Dr. Fung believes that obesity and diabetes are caused by chronically elevated insulin levels. Low carb eating is one way to deal with it to bring insulin down and see improvements in health, but in some people is not enough. Fasting is the magic bullet.

He outlines the science of weight gain, set point, metabolic damage caused by dieting, changes in culture that have contributed to the obesity epidemic, and more in his book The Obesity Code. The book does not deal extensively with fasting protocols however. He is working on a new book for release in the next few months that promises to do that.

He also has a blog called Intensive Dietary Management that has a great deal of information. Since the release of his book, Dr. Fung has been a guest on several podcasts too.

The previous thread is here and contains a lot of interesting information:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=879872

One of our posters, Keytones, delveloped a summary based on what she read and heard from Dr. Fung:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=883001

Happy fasting everyone!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2016, 08:15 AM   #2
SpikersMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpikersMom
Stats: 180 highest ever/161/145
WOE: limit AS/Fung fasting/being mindful
Start Date: 6/27/2016
Thank you for starting this new thread! I've been reading the Fung thread since it started. I am 57 and pre-diabetic. Saw my doctor in June. He did not like the direction my A1c was heading. He asked me to totally give up artificial sweeteners. I realized he was right, and knew this was my push into committing to IF. I think I have lost about 5 pounds in the past four weeks. My morning fg is still higher than I want, but it does seem to be trending downward. I just feel better. I've done a few 24 hour fast days - usually on the weekends as it seems easier for me then.

KeyTones - you look 'mahvaleous darling'!!
SpikersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:57 AM   #3
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 228/177/150
WOE: LCHF/IF
Start Date: IF/LCHF start: June 2016
Thanks for starting us off again, Gina!
Just marking my spot so I don't miss out on the good stuff!

Xxx

female, 41 y/o, 5'10"

My 30-day ketogenic cleanse food pics:
https://goo.gl/photos/BempEGLejSXZ3GcF6
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:13 AM   #4
janetaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janetaz
Stats: 198/189/135 restart 208.5/189/155
WOE: JUDDD/Fung Protocol
Thank you Gina for starting the new thread!!

Dr. Fung's book is still on hold at the library for me, not sure when I will get it. I received Game of Thrones season five faster before his book!!! That is actually really cool that other people are reading his book right now. For now, I keep checking with our thread and his blog.
janetaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
Jjsmama
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jjsmama
Stats: 164/158/138
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 13, 2015 (JUDDD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetaz View Post

Dr. Fung's book is still on hold at the library for me, not sure when I will get it. I received Game of Thrones season five faster before his book!!! That is actually really cool that other people are reading his book right now. For now, I keep checking with our thread and his blog.
It is still on hold at the library for me too! Hopefully different libraries

While i am waiting, i am curious: if we do daily short eating windows or daily dinner to dinner fasts, WHY won't our metabolism slow down and adjust to the much lower calories? Seems like it would...

Wife to 1+ Mom to 3= 4 Fabulous Fellows
Jjsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #6
Scarlet_Belle
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Scarlet_Belle
Stats: 203/164/130 (5'2.5" tall)
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 11/30/16
I've been reading about fasting lately, and I would like to try dinner-to-dinner fasting in conjunction with low carb. Atkin's wasn't working, egg fast wasn't working, it seems like any bit of carbohydrate consumption (even an Atkin's Induction friendly salad) keeps my insulin up and prevents weight loss. I had to cut my food intake way down and fight and starve to lose every ounce, and my weight would go down, then back up, it was miserable. And lack of motivation leads to cheating, of course.
Scarlet_Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #7
SarahDee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SarahDee
Stats: 210/175/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 28
Thanks for starting this new thread!!

This note is for Pat -- I couldn't respond to her post because the thread closed. She'd asked:

"I have one question for all the Fungsters. Am I the only wine drinker? Sitting on a terrace in front of the sea having a glass of red wine (in the winter) or lovely chilled white wine (like now) is really one of life's great pleasures. Where does a glass of wine fit in with Jason Fung?
"

----------

I don't know what Fung would advice - probably no! lol -, but I drink wine regularly and have been able to lose weight doing very low carb and now IF. I think the trick is to pick your wine strategically - for me since I follow low carb, I choose wines that are the driest, with the least carbs and no residual or added sugar. My wine of choice is the Spanish sparkling wine Brut Cava - because it has only about 1 or 1.5 carbs per glass. It doesn't seem to make me gain or stall - in fact I've often had some of my best losses the day after drinking a few glasses - lol.

And, of course, the wine should probably be reserved for the non-fasting nights or your eating window. I don't fast every day so it's not an issue - but I say you have to do what works for you. On my fast nights, I've switched to drinking herbal tea at night, which isn't quite the same but it's actually kinda nice. BUT I will admit in a whisper that I've sneaked a glass of wine or two during an "imperfect" fast night - and I've still lost the next day. Perhaps experiment?

Last edited by SarahDee; 07-17-2016 at 11:53 AM..
SarahDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #8
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgwwilson
Stats: Highest weight 224. 208/166/128. Ht. 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb with IF (16/8)
Start Date: May 16, 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahDee View Post
Thanks for starting this new thread!!

This note is for Pat -- I couldn't respond to her post because the thread closed. She'd asked:

"I have one question for all the Fungsters. Am I the only wine drinker? Sitting on a terrace in front of the sea having a glass of red wine (in the winter) or lovely chilled white wine (like now) is really one of life's great pleasures. Where does a glass of wine fit in with Jason Fung?
"

----------

I don't know what Fung would advice - probably no! lol -, but I drink wine regularly and have been able to lose weight doing very low carb and now IF. I think the trick is to pick your wine strategically - for me since I follow low carb, I choose wines that are the driest, with the least carbs and no residual or added sugar. My wine of choice is the Spanish sparkling wine Brut Cava - because it has only about 1 or 1.5 carbs per glass. It doesn't seem to make me gain or stall - in fact I've often had some of my best losses the day after drinking a few glasses - lol.

And, of course, the wine should probably be reserved for the non-fasting nights or your eating window. I don't fast every day so it's not an issue - but I say you have to do what works for you. On my fast nights, I've switched to drinking herbal tea at night, which isn't quite the same but it's actually kinda nice. BUT I will admit in a whisper that I've sneaked a glass of wine or two during an "imperfect" fast night - and I've still lost the next day. Perhaps experiment?

Wish I could remember the exact date, but I remember Dr. Fung responding to that question on The Diet Doctor site and he basically said one or two glasses of dry red wine was alright if you're not fasting, but might slow down weight loss somewhat.

My understanding is that alcohol is metabolized more like a fat than a carb.

Carolyn
cgwwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:13 PM   #9
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/221/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC 2004, gastric sleeve 9/15, Fung Fasting 3/16
Thank you all for the compliments!

Thank you for starting the old and the new thread, Gina!

I remember Fung saying something similar about alcohol. He is very flexible. The plan is flexible. Do what you want, and if it doesn't work, take down what you tried adding or tweaking.

"Obesity is a hypothalamic/hormonal issue. Using calorie-based weapons to fight a hormonal issue is like bringing a snorkel to a bicycle race." --Jason Fung
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #10
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/165/155
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
K.T. you DO look wonderful. I am height challenged and look quite a bit different at 165. If only I could grow a few more inches....

Gina, thanks for starting the new thread.

I too have heard Dr. Fung say that a glass or 2 of wine with a meal is fine. And I agree, that you will have to experiment and see if it works for you. I know that my last vacation, I drank lots of wine and beer (liquid bread) but did some fasting too and did not gain and may even have lost 1 lb. I think fasting is fasting and when not fasting - try to make choices that don't spike insulin too much. A dry wine will not.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #11
SarahDee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SarahDee
Stats: 210/175/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Thank you all for the compliments!

Thank you for starting the old and the new thread, Gina!

I remember Fung saying something similar about alcohol. He is very flexible. The plan is flexible. Do what you want, and if it doesn't work, take down what you tried adding or tweaking.
You look fabulous! Your pictures are inspiring!
SarahDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #12
janetaz
Senior LCF Member

Thank you KeyTones for sharing your photos on the other thread! You look great!!!
Old 07-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #13
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

Dr. Fung's book is still on hold at the library for me, not sure when I will get it. I received Game of Thrones season five faster before his book!!!
Now THAT is saying something.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #14
Galveston Gal
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0" Maintenance
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat added JUDDD 10-12-15
Thanks!
I am in the camp of it is easier to NOT EAT on a DD. It is just easier to stay out of the kitchen where I am more easily distracted to misbehave with my food!

Love the podcasts and YouTube videos that I have found with Dr. Fung. Together with now knowing "I won't die if I miss a few meals!"...and adding the rebounder to my routines...my FBS is now back to normal...77 this morning!

The rebounder serves as my distraction when my Loving Spouse wants me to watch TV with him (we are retired) and watching TV is a trigger to EAT so now, instead I bounce/walk instead of reaching for food...and I can still be with my Loving Spouse.

Still making Oopsies...usually adding flax...with sprinkles of sesame seeds...dessert for sure with a little S/F Jam! ....always tweaking, other wise life gets boring!

THANKS, LCF!!!

Last edited by Galveston Gal; 07-17-2016 at 05:58 PM..
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #15
ButterBaconBurgers
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 135/123/121
WOE: LCHF + 2 36 hr. fast per week
Start Date: June 4, 2016
Hello, Fungsters!

Wow! I'm so happy to find this these threads!

I have started reading Part 1, but it's going to take a while to get through the whole thing. I joined LC Friends yesterday or the day before. I couldn't believe ya'll had a Fung thread.

My (sorta) Brief LCHF history:

June or July 2012 … began increasing fat and decreasing carbs
by 2014 48 carbs daily average (had discovered LCHF, VLC, & keto by then)
2015 Carb counter crashed in May; experimented with “eating window fasting” & “eating once a day” June-July-August = epic fail for me… struggled through rest of that year with varying rates of success
2016 In January began tracking again ... keeping daily avg of carbs below 50; in June discovered Butter Bob Briggs & Dr. Jason Fung on youtube…

As of July 3-4 2016 Began 2 - 36 hr fasts per week on Tuesdays and Sundays

Beginning July 12: no fruit, no sugar, no sugar substitutes (including my precious stevia ), (all of that to get over Sweet Taste) & no caffeine (ouch) (for now)

I'm 53 yo female, weight stable 121-129 pounds for past 18 months. My FBG were creeping up before I started all this, and last year I was still struggling to get them down, often between 90 and 110. I became discouraged and stopped taking them last year. Began curious when I started the two 36-hour fasts per week. Now, I'm getting readings in 70s (been years!) and 80s!

So glad to find you all, so glad you are here! LCHF (w/digressions) works for me and I've always known fasting is healthy (having done several long water fasts in my forties).

Whew! Sorry so long!

THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING HERE!
ButterBaconBurgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:12 PM   #16
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I listened to one of Jimmy Moore's podcasts with Dr. Fung today on a long run and he said something interesting about gut biome.

Dr. Fung said he believes gut biome may have something to do with some conditions, but he doesn't believe it has much, if anything, to do with diabetes or obesity.

The reason he gives is that we change our gut biome every time we take any of the many kinds of antibiotics, and none typically result in weight gain or loss. Yogurt changes the gut biome, but all else being equal, eating more or less yogurt doesn't cause weight gain or loss.

Giving insulin, however, always results in weight gain. Taking it away (from a person that doesn't make their own), always results in weight loss.

Controling insulin is where we will get the best result for our effort. Bang for our dietary buck, so to speak.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:13 PM   #17
ButterBaconBurgers
Senior LCF Member

Hi, Gina

You are the one that started all this Fung madness, yes?!?!? Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post

Controling insulin is where we will get the best result for our effort. Bang for our dietary buck, so to speak.
I have tried so many WOE through the years and when I discovered Fung (and Butter Bob Briggs who translates it all into very plain speak in his you tube videos) I was like ... ohhhhhhh ... insulin ... now, i can look back through my life/eating history through the lens of insulin/insulin resistance and it makes sense.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:12 AM   #18
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

I just posted this in the NK fasting thread, and thought I'd share here just in case people don't read there and are interested in my fasting... LOL!

Here you go:

A bit more update after my 72 hour fast...

So I broke the fast with some lighter foods, avocado and pecans and had a normal meal about an hour later which consisted of the other half avocado, lettuce and vinaigrette and a slice of bbqed pork belly. I couldn't eat as much as my eyes wanted, LOL! I have read on a FB group that I belong to that after longer fasts, people may have some 'elimination' issues... About 30-60 minutes after my main meal this occured for me, and I had a bit of 'emptying out'! LOL! Felt fine though, no cramping or anything, and after that one bout of 'elimination' my potty going returned to normal. Yesterday I ate three meals. Portions still on the smaller side for me, as I seem to fill up quicker. This morning I dropped another 0.5 lbs so I lost a total of 5 lbs that seem to be truly gone! I am definitely noticing the weightloss in inches, my upper arms and upper thighs are shrinking most noticeably. Areas which usually seem to go down last normally for me!

I am truly convinced that IF is the way forward for me. I feel great, and have lots of energy too. No hunger that was physical was the biggest surprise for me during my 72 hour fast. I did make sure I took in enough salt (I salted my water with himalayan salt) and I had 1 cup of homemade chicken bone broth with himalayan salt in the evenings of my fast. I also took a morning and evening shot of ACV. For the rest, water only. It has really shown me that not eating for 3 full days is perfectly doable, healthy and OK!

So my plan for now as long as I have good results is definitely going to be to do 2 36 hour fasts per week (I am doing one now, so no food till tomorrow midday) and to do daily IF of 18:6 for the rest of the week. I am also going to do 2 72 hour fasts per month to keep my momentum going.

I will do another proper review next month, when I have had a bit longer to evaluate everything and will have become a fasting regular!

xxx

female, 41 y/o, 5'10"

Old 07-18-2016, 05:41 AM   #19
BirdieNell
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BirdieNell
Stats: 155/133/120
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: December 2011
Slowsure- I had TKR on both knees three years apart. I hadn't done any fasting before the first surgery. I had the second one after I had been doing Juddd and other versions of IF for most of the time between surgeries. I healed much quicker, had less swelling and bruising after the second surgery. I definitely think that fasting somehow made the difference.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:35 AM   #20
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Well done Mimosa!
Old 07-18-2016, 06:58 AM   #21
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Another interesting thing I heard Dr. Fung say in the podcast I listened to yesterday...........

During fasting, on the scale you will see the loss of water and lack of food making its way through your system, both of which will come back, but the average person can expect to lose a roughly a half pound of fat per day you fast. He adds, "So if you want to lose 100 lbs, you need to fast for 200 days, right."

(Appropos of nothing- I get a kick out of how he adds "right" to the end of his sentences. Someone at work that I admire very much because she is SO smart does the same thing.)

That got me to thinking, I have 50 lbs I would like to lose, so that translates into (very) roughly 100 days of fasting. That could be 100 straight days (not likely for me ), or 20 weeks of M-F fasting, or 33 weeks of 72 hour fasts, 50 weeks of 48 hour fasts, or fasting roughly every third day for a year.

I wonder if it might be helpful to count the days that way, and focus on putting in the effort, not so much the results on the scale (that we all know can be irrational ).
Old 07-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #22
janetaz
Senior LCF Member

Just a quick update, I am down to 192.4 today, but I have to report that I have lost more in the last two weeks consistently than when I was doing JUDDD. I have lost about six pounds. That might not seem like a lot but with JUDDD, I was struggling to lose a few pounds a month. Do I continue doing JUDDD rotations with Fung fasting?

I should clarify a bit, I was doing JUDDD DD/UD rotations with one meal a day, cycling the calories that way. Before I was snacking a lot with both sets of rotations (actually, a lot of stress eating). I have stopped that to follow OMAD.

Has anyone noticed a lot of bounces? Now, it seems, my weight is gradually going lower but not a lot of bounces up unless I eat out (probably sodium).
Old 07-18-2016, 07:16 AM   #23
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Just a quick update, I am down to 192.4 today, but I have to report that I have lost more in the last two weeks consistently than when I was doing JUDDD. I have lost about six pounds. That might not seem like a lot but with JUDDD, I was struggling to lose a few pounds a month. Do I continue doing JUDDD rotations with Fung fasting?

I should clarify a bit, I was doing JUDDD DD/UD rotations with one meal a day, cycling the calories that way. Before I was snacking a lot with both sets of rotations (actually, a lot of stress eating). I have stopped that to follow OMAD.

Has anyone noticed a lot of bounces? Now, it seems, my weight is gradually going lower but not a lot of bounces up unless I eat out (probably sodium).
That sounds like great progress.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:28 AM   #24
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

janetaz, that sounds like a great loss so far on OMAD!!!!

I personally notice that my weight bumps up and down but the general movement is definitely downwards. I have slight upwards bounces in between fasts, but not major weight differences. I am logging my weight automatically through an app and my scales, so I get a nice graph which shows exactly what is happening. TBH, I don't really put much value in it, I am looking for shrinkage, not weightloss per se. It is fun to see the graph though, and it proves weightlos definitely is not linear to me.

female, 41 y/o, 5'10"

Old 07-18-2016, 08:22 AM   #25
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/202/? 5'4"
WOE: JUDDD, reduced carb
Start Date: Tomorrow
Thanks for the new thread, Gina.

I have started reading IDM. The local library system doesn't have his book. I am considering buying it, but want to find out if I am going to be able to get into fasting before I put out the money, plus I have to decide between the actual book or the Kindle version. I like Kindle for the portabliity, but like the book because it's easier to find things in it. On his website, Dr Fung said that all the information in the book is available by reading his blog, but it's set up differently in the book.

I have started doing IF with a daily eating window, and plan on increasing it to eventually doing a dinner to dinner fast. From what I read yesterday, lowering your total eating causes your metabolism to slow down, but fasting (as is 4-5 days) does not. I don't know if I can do prolonged fasting. I do feel that JUDDD type really works because your calories are not low for an extended time. I think that's the idea of JUDDD and 5:2. But I cannot schedule a DD because of eating with DH. I would have to just do it on the days that it works out. There are times when I can make a meal for him and he will eat even if I'm not eating. Sometimes I think he is one of those guys who is afraid the wife will leave him if she loses weight, but he would never admit to that. He encourages me to eat, and gets me to go places with him by luring me with food. He knows me so well! LOL

I also read that once you lose 10% of your weight your body fights hard to keep from losing more, even if you stay on plan 100%. That's depressing, but there are many who have lost more than 10%, so it obviously can be done.

As far as wine is concerned, it seems that Dr Fung says you can do whatever suits you as long as it doesn't keep you from losing.

SlowSure, I am in the same position, that DH wants me to eat with him. He eats very high carb and I will never change him, so that is challenging for me. The only meal we eat together is dinner, so I cook carbs for him and I don't eat them.

If I had started a year ago I would be at goal today.

No one ever leaves the gym regretting the choice to workout.
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:32 AM   #26
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/165/155
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I didn't read this but heard Dr. Fung talk about the differences between low calorie diets in comparison to fasting and the differences it makes to metabolism. It was the most recent interview on the Jimmy Moore podcast - I believe.

Dr. Fung made the case that the body will not slow down during fasting as it might with low calories on a regular basis. This means that you will not lose muscle as well during fasting. It was a really good podcast and I highly recommend listening to it.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:56 AM   #27
ButterBaconBurgers
Senior LCF Member

Yay, Mimosa!!!!

I'm wrapping up my Sunday fast in a bit with bacon for breakfast It will be 37 hours!
Old 07-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #28
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I think I listened to the same podcast yesterday Cathy. As soon as it was over I wanted to start it again, but my app had deleted it, then I couldn't tell which one it was and wasn't home on wifi anyway. Darn those technological conveniences.

I am back at work after a few weeks off. Hardly anyone else is here so it seemed like the perfect time to fast. I am armed with a pot of coffee, quart of iced tea, and two insulated cups of broth with a tbls of butter and pink salt. Wish me luck.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #29
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
K.T. you DO look wonderful. I am height challenged and look quite a bit different at 165. If only I could grow a few more inches....

Gina, thanks for starting the new thread.

I too have heard Dr. Fung say that a glass or 2 of wine with a meal is fine. And I agree, that you will have to experiment and see if it works for you. I know that my last vacation, I drank lots of wine and beer (liquid bread) but did some fasting too and did not gain and may even have lost 1 lb. I think fasting is fasting and when not fasting - try to make choices that don't spike insulin too much. A dry wine will not.
Thank you so much! I have lost quite a bit of fat in my face, too. I'm not sure I want to post a current shot of my face on this site, since it displays my weight. No one recognizes me from the days when I was heavy. I can walk right past coworkers from my old jobs when I was heavy and even say hello, but they have no idea who I am.

It's kind of fun. I see them downtown once in a while.

"Obesity is a hypothalamic/hormonal issue. Using calorie-based weapons to fight a hormonal issue is like bringing a snorkel to a bicycle race." --Jason Fung
Old 07-18-2016, 09:22 AM   #30
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I didn't read this but heard Dr. Fung talk about the differences between low calorie diets in comparison to fasting and the differences it makes to metabolism. It was the most recent interview on the Jimmy Moore podcast - I believe.

Dr. Fung made the case that the body will not slow down during fasting as it might with low calories on a regular basis. This means that you will not lose muscle as well during fasting. It was a really good podcast and I highly recommend listening to it.
I love listening to the podcasts. They are better than the book and better than the youtube videos.

I like falling asleep listening to them. Maybe that is another secret to success - brainwash yourself, LOL...