Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #331
giggles4me
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: giggles4me
Stats: 160/145/125
WOE: intermittent fasting
Start Date: 8/5/2016
Wanted to say Hello, I am new to fasting. I am on my 3rd day and learning a ton here.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2016, 05:35 PM   #332
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by giggles4me View Post
Wanted to say Hello, I am new to fasting. I am on my 3rd day and learning a ton here.
Way to go! We have some very knowledgeable people posting that is for sure!
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #333
janetaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janetaz
Stats: 198/189/135 restart 208.5/189/155
WOE: JUDDD/Fung Protocol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post

Question for you guys who put Himalayan salt into your water - how much do you use? Is it hard to drink salty water?? I just bought some of that salt, and I know that my longer fasts don't go well unless I have some salt, but I don't fancy drinking a glass of salt water.
Hi!! Like Keytones mentioned, the Himalayan sea salt needs a lot more to taste "normal" salty, I also add lemon juice, so it's almost like a lemonade, Ok without the sweetener!! LOL
janetaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:22 AM   #334
Vilya
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 257/257.8/235
WOE: Dr. Fung's IF program, plus LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Thanks for all the salt tips, guys!

I made it 24 hours yesterday, and then caved because my sister gave me some leftover lamb.

At least it was low carb!
12/30/15: Had two years of really bad mental health issues, diabetes out of control, gained back all the weight I lost. Starting over at 257...
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:09 PM   #335
nunzio
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nunzio
Stats: 300/260/223
WOE: LCHF.....IF
Start Date: 07-07-2016
Hi, I want to go eating OMAD or at least have a 1-2 hour window to eat....I am now on 19/5.
My problem is I am FULL after I eat.
4 OZ chicken Breast
1 Cup of Broccoli
1 or 2 Tsp of Olive Oil
some Grated Parm.

I then have to wait 2-4 hrs until I can fit some more and then I eat some meat with olive oil.

I CAN NOT EAT EGGS !!!!!

Anyone else have this problem and figured out a fix?

I sure hate hanging around just to eat!! (OMG!!!! NEVER thought I would EVER Say that !!)

As a former Pizza Eater...I mean the Whole Pizza. I am delighted to have this problem,but,School starts and I have to go back to work.

I learn so much much "real life" stuff here!!!!

Thanks !!!

Alan..62 YO...6'3" 295lbs
Started IF/LCHF ........7/7/2016
nunzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #336
ButterBaconBurgers
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 135/123/121
WOE: LCHF + 2 36 hr. fast per week
Start Date: June 4, 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzio View Post
I CAN NOT EAT EGGS !!!!!
Alan, I cannot eat eggs either

Last edited by ButterBaconBurgers; 08-09-2016 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: misspelling
ButterBaconBurgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #337
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzio View Post
Hi, I want to go eating OMAD or at least have a 1-2 hour window to eat....I am now on 19/5.
My problem is I am FULL after I eat.
4 OZ chicken Breast
1 Cup of Broccoli
1 or 2 Tsp of Olive Oil
some Grated Parm.

I then have to wait 2-4 hrs until I can fit some more and then I eat some meat with olive oil.

I CAN NOT EAT EGGS !!!!!

Anyone else have this problem and figured out a fix?

I sure hate hanging around just to eat!! (OMG!!!! NEVER thought I would EVER Say that !!)

As a former Pizza Eater...I mean the Whole Pizza. I am delighted to have this problem,but,School starts and I have to go back to work.

I learn so much much "real life" stuff here!!!!

Thanks !!!

Alan..62 YO...6'3" 295lbs
Started IF/LCHF ........7/7/2016
If you are full after your meal - don't eat again until then next day or when you are hungry again. It is about keeping insulin low for a long length of time. Eating a meal 2 to 4 hours after a meal will only keep insulin in play for a long period of time. It might drop at about the 4 hour point but then by eating, you are sending back right back up. Maybe add more fat to your one meal and that might help take you to the OMAD you desire.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:52 AM   #338
Liz53
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz53
Start Date: August 9, 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
If you are full after your meal - don't eat again until then next day or when you are hungry again. It is about keeping insulin low for a long length of time. Eating a meal 2 to 4 hours after a meal will only keep insulin in play for a long period of time. It might drop at about the 4 hour point but then by eating, you are sending back right back up. Maybe add more fat to your one meal and that might help take you to the OMAD you desire.
Cathy, I love this advice! I'm going to write this in my food journal as a reminder!

I finally broke a 13 hour 20 minute fast with breakfast. Now living my life and waiting until I need food again.
Liz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:31 AM   #339
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Liz, I forget - are you doing low carb/keto too?

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
We are butter together!
Old 08-10-2016, 11:24 AM   #340
Liz53
Junior LCF Member

Yes Cathy, I'm eating HFLC. I hope to make this a real change for life.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #341
clackley
Chatty Cathy

That is great. I think you already know then that keto will make fasting much easier. It may also make it easier to have longer fasts. I think the 2 are fabulous partners.

We are butter together!
Old 08-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #342
Liz53
Junior LCF Member

I agree Cathy. I know when I was trying to count calories and eating high carbs I stayed hungry constantly. This is so much easier.

I do have to admit that I have a slight fear because I know my track record with sticking with low carb. Usually one to two weeks at most. But I really want to do this for the rest of my life. I just need to remember that when I have an off day to get right back on track with it.

I'm so glad to have found this active online group! I was thrilled to see the threads for fasting, even though this is a low-carb message board. This is fantastic!
Old 08-10-2016, 01:03 PM   #343
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
An update......

I wrote the post below 6/23 on the first Fung thread:

Friends, I am struggling. I wrote the post below several days ago and have just continued to gain. I would understand if I was eating in a way that warrants it, but I haven't been. I do a low carb day, get on the scale and up a pound. Try OMAD, and sure enough- up another pound. I am now up 10-11 lbs form my recent low and gaining nearly every day. It is all around my middle.

My thyroid tanks periodically and I gain inexplicably, but I usually feel tired when that happens and I feel fine now. I am going to my thyroid doc at the beginning of August. Maybe she will have some answers.

I have read about many people gaining weight while training for a marathon (which I am), but I have trained for lots of races and never had this happen. I have never trained for a full marathon before, but I am not doing any more volume yet than I have previously. The big miles come later.

I woke up this morning determined to make a 36 hour fast. I even skipped my run this morning in case it would make me extra hungry. My son just told me his girlfriend is planning to come over this evening and make a special LC GF pizza she discovered on the internet with a cauliflower crust because she knows I will like it. We'll see. Maybe it will be a OMAD day.

My rings are really tight, so I am holding water, but it is not all water.

Anyway, that is what is going on with me. I'll keep you all posted.

Over a 5-6 week period from May-June I gained about 12 lbs for no reason I could figure. I had a visit to my thyroid doctor planned and couldn't get in any sooner, but I did my lab work early to see if I could catch what was going on.

The gains finally stopped about mid June, but I haven't been able to lose any of it. I'll manage a pound or two, then it pops right back on.

I saw the thyroid doctor yesterday and there are a couple of things going on. I have been going to this practice (though the doctor I see has changed) and they have always done all the tests they should. Since the beginning my T3 has been low and T4 OK, so I have taken a straight T3 medication. Now my T4 is really low (.02 with a range of 0.8-1.8), while the T3 remains OK, so I am going to start a T4 med too. I will do labs in 3 weeks to see how that is going.

Another issue I seem to be having is low progesterone. She prescribed bioidentical compounded progesterone that I plan to read up on before I take it.

The third big red flag is low magnesium (low even according to the lab, not just low ideal). This has been going on since my last visit with her in January. It has improved some, but I have a long way to go. I am upping my dose today. It is hard because it has to be spread out and can't be taken near my thyroid medication.

She said I deserved a gold star for my A1C, fasting insulin, cholesterol, triglycerides (she said, "You don't eat any of that trans fat crap, do you?" ), and cardiac markers.

My fasting insulin, even though she said it was good (9.6 with a range of 2.0 to 19.6) is higher than it was before I did intentional fasting. In December it was 6.8 and has been as low as 3 in the past. I'll have to look back and see what was going on.

Anyway, I thought I would update since I posted and everyone offered sympathies and advice.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #344
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Keto/IF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
Wow Gina, you've really been through it, girl! Sounds like you have a good doctor that is helping. Thyroid problems are a real witch! And the magnesium issue doesn't sound like fun, either.
Thanks for the update. Hope you get this all straightened out soon. We can't have our main Fung girl who started the thread not reaping all the benefits of IF!

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #345
susan46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susan46
Stats: 256/211/150
WOE: High fat, low carb, moderate protein
Start Date: April 2016
GME--

You may have gone back to a recent set point. I know I did.
susan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:22 PM   #346
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gina, you have a path to success and that is the most important thing. I am sorry however that you have been having these frustrations despite all good efforts to change things. Great news that your other markers are very positive.

We are butter together!
Old 08-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #347
Liz53
Junior LCF Member

GME, I feel for you. I'm also on thyroid meds and have a terrible time losing, which is why I'm going this route. I hope your doctor can help you and you see some good results soon!
Old 08-10-2016, 06:02 PM   #348
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks everyone. I feel OK, except for the annoyance about not losing weight.

I was happy that my cardiac markers were all good. I am in pretty decent shape fitness-wise, even though I am 50 lbs too heavy. That's something.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:21 AM   #349
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: Which time?
I've been on thyroid meds since last September and still haven't noticed a difference with anything. Synthroid, in the beginning, made me even more tired for awhile. Started Cytomel a couple months ago (once/day, now twice/day) and nothing. I knew they probably wouldn't be the weight loss golden ticket, but I was sure hoping it might help with things. Fasting/eating lc/keto isn't even doing it.

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:03 AM   #350
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Have you had more lab work done since you started taking the meds? Cytomel is a T3 only med and usually people can feel it right away. You usually up it slowly though, because too much is dangerous. Are you going to go to 3x day eventually?

It is so hard to find a doctor that can "do" thyroid.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:48 AM   #351
nunzio
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nunzio
Stats: 300/260/223
WOE: LCHF.....IF
Start Date: 07-07-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetaz View Post
Hi!! Like Keytones mentioned, the Himalayan sea salt needs a lot more to taste "normal" salty, I also add lemon juice, so it's almost like a lemonade, Ok without the sweetener!! LOL
Has anyone taken salt pills?

Thanks...Alan
nunzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #352
SarahDee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SarahDee
Stats: 210/175/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 28
Hi! just checking in with everyone. How's the fasting going this week? Today the scale said I lost the last bit of weight i'd gained on my trip. It took me a bit longer than I wanted (two weeks, but only because one of those weeks was really stressful and I had a bit of a sweets/carb-oops.) - but I'm finally back to where I was - so yay! IF and LCHF is working for me, and not just on the scale. I just like the way it curbs my cravings and makes food not such a big deal. I am trying to switch it up though - with days where I eat more, and days where I fast. My biggest fear is messing up my metabolism, so I want to mix it up as much as possible, just to be on the safe side.
SarahDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:52 PM   #353
SarahDee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SarahDee
Stats: 210/175/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 28
Sorry for the multiple posts but I thought it would cool if some of us posted a few things we'd noticed doing fasts -- here's a few of my thoughts doing IF for about a month or two now:

-The scale doesn't always bounce down the day after a fast. Sometimes it takes a day or two for the "woosh" to happen. If fact, I've even been higher the next day, with a subsequent several pound drop. I suspect it has to do with water retention, perhaps the body filling up those fat cells to hang on until it sees that it's not in starvation mode? I've also had the same happen when I go REALLY low carb -- I don't see the drop until I've had a bit of a higher calorie or even carb day - and surprisingly see a woosh.

--Some of the side effects that I used to have when I ate just very low carb, without fasting, have gone. Most notably, I used to have trouble sleeping (when I was in ketosis),have more carb cravings, and gad some days where I felt that Atkins flu/felt cold/etc. but now I find it's not a problem, even though I still eat VLC/HF. I'm not sure why - I suspect before I was going in and out of ketosis more, especially if I had a cheat day. Now, if I eat off plan I find a fast helps me back on track without those side effects. Perhaps now my body is in a more stable/deeper state of ketosis, so things have settled down? I don't know why, but I'm sure happy about it.

--having a bit of salt i.e. in broth, etc. makes a huge difference for me if I'm on a fast. It eliminates the foggy feeling I'd get otherwise.

--your body really does adapt. I never thought I could skip breakfast and lunch without thinking about it, but it's not so hard now that I'm used to it. I don't go longer than 24 hours, and usually it's closer to 20 or 22 hours, but that's still pretty amazing that I can do that without getting hungry/crazy.

What are your fasting epiphanies??
SarahDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:08 PM   #354
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: Which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Have you had more lab work done since you started taking the meds? Cytomel is a T3 only med and usually people can feel it right away. You usually up it slowly though, because too much is dangerous. Are you going to go to 3x day eventually?

It is so hard to find a doctor that can "do" thyroid.
Yes, I've had pretty regular lab work since beginning with my GP last September. Haven't had one since beginning the Cytomel (June). Will have some labs done next month. I don't have any idea about the 3x day. He asked if I'd noticed any difference with the 1x day and I hadn't. I thought being on these meds would open my eyes to a world of difference, but they haven't. Not as far as I can tell anyway.

I posted in the Thyroid Board about an endo doing only TSH. How odd is that?

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:26 AM   #355
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/199/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Alan and BBB...I love eggs and can eat them endlessly, cooked any way! I can remember gagging on them when I was a kid, but I think my mother didn't cook the whites enough for me.

Vanilla, I have a wonky thyroid that goes back and forth from over to under active. My doctor only checks TSH. He is a GP though, not and endo. I noticed recently that if I eat a lot of cruciferous veggies I get symptomatic, and I eat them cooked, not raw.

My friend has been on thyroid meds for years but still has difficulty losing weight. It's possible that if she was not on the meds she would be much bigger.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:44 AM   #356
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/199/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Thanks Katie.

So I had a little surprise this morning. I did OMAD, lunch only, yesterday and had a bigger drop than when I have fasted completely for 36 hours. Hmmmm. It was only one day, so no big pattern or anything of course, but for years I have noticed I could eat the same amount of food and lose if I ate it all early in the day, than if I spread it out or ate it at night.

The problem I have is it is HARD for me not to eat at night. Maybe I just need practice. I'll try it again today (another catered lunch- this really is a first world problem) and maybe do a little more clothes shopping this evening.

Gina
, I was just looking back and saw this post and don't know if I responded to it. Years ago, when I was much thinner, I ate breakfast and lunch, but rarely dinner. This was because I lived alone and couldn't be bothered cooking for one, but I never had a weight problem back then. It was after I got married and got an instant family (DH and 2 step children) that I started cooking and eating dinner every night that my weight gain began. There may be those of us who just do better eating early in the day, making it easier to burn it off before bed. The night eating is a habit that's hard to break. Clothes shopping makes me never want to eat again! LOL

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #357
ButterBaconBurgers
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 135/123/121
WOE: LCHF + 2 36 hr. fast per week
Start Date: June 4, 2016
Finished my 20th 36-hour fast this morning with a fasted workout! Whoop!
ButterBaconBurgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #358
plymouth
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: plymouth
Stats: 210/180/no longer weigh
WOE: LCHF-ish + 2x24hr fasts per week
Start Date: November 2014
Congratulations triple B!
How does it feel going to bed without eating? I do 24 hours twice a week and I cant imagine going to bed without breaking the fast.
Do you sleep well?

Also, I test my blood sugar at the end of the fast and look for numbers in the 70s, which they always are. Yesterday I fasted but I accidentally put too much half and half in my coffee (I usually use 2T, 40 cal in my coffee on fast days) and yet my blood glucose remained in the 70s as always. Does this mean that this much 1/2 & 1/2 (it was probably 4T) is ok on fast days?
plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #359
plymouth
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: plymouth
Stats: 210/180/no longer weigh
WOE: LCHF-ish + 2x24hr fasts per week
Start Date: November 2014
Hi SD,
My fasting epiphanies include:
Sometimes it is harder than other times.
Working out is fine.
Salt is essential.
Fasting got my a1c normal in 2 months of 2 24 hour fasts a week, something LCHF didn't do.
A busy work day helps.
Hot liquids help.
Iced liquids help.
People think I'm heroic doing this (lol!)
I don't think about it, just do it, like exercise.

Thank you for sharing and asking the question!
plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:29 PM   #360
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Keto/IF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBaconBurgers View Post
Finished my 20th 36-hour fast this morning with a fasted workout! Whoop!
Wow, 20 36's!!!! That is amazing. I've only finished one. I've been reading about the benefits from 48 hr fasts and hope to accomplish one this coming week. No social stuff on the horizon to get in the way so I have no excuses.

Again, I'm truly impressed!

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote