Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 07-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #31
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/221/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC 2004, gastric sleeve 9/15, Fung Fasting 3/16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I listened to one of Jimmy Moore's podcasts with Dr. Fung today on a long run and he said something interesting about gut biome.

Dr. Fung said he believes gut biome may have something to do with some conditions, but he doesn't believe it has much, if anything, to do with diabetes or obesity.

The reason he gives is that we change our gut biome every time we take any of the many kinds of antibiotics, and none typically result in weight gain or loss. Yogurt changes the gut biome, but all else being equal, eating more or less yogurt doesn't cause weight gain or loss.

Giving insulin, however, always results in weight gain. Taking it away (from a person that doesn't make their own), always results in weight loss.

Controling insulin is where we will get the best result for our effort. Bang for our dietary buck, so to speak.
I have pitched everything to do with the gut biome as well. I had the dirt-based probiotic pills, I had all these special fiber pills, I tried the resistant starch, some kind of special yam fiber or something, can't remember now--I don't know what all I had. I just know I liked to buy things to feed my cabinets, mostly, 'cause they didn't work.

I am so done wasting my money trying to find ways to lose weight.

Fasting is....FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Obesity is a hypothalamic/hormonal issue. Using calorie-based weapons to fight a hormonal issue is like bringing a snorkel to a bicycle race." --Jason Fung

Last edited by Key Tones; 07-18-2016 at 09:27 AM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #32
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/165/155
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Yes, I sucked down that gut biome rabbit hole as well. It probably does have some merit but not for weight loss for me. I didn't spend much time with it though other than reading.

I recently heard (I think the whole world heard this before me from the sounds of it) but the big study that involved fecal transplants between obese mice and lean mice and the resultant effects was actually fraud. Hmmmm.... At least we are fairly certain that fecal transplant has it's place in treating cdif - I think.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #33
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Yes, I sucked down that gut biome rabbit hole as well. It probably does have some merit but not for weight loss for me. I didn't spend much time with it though other than reading.

I recently heard (I think the whole world heard this before me from the sounds of it) but the big study that involved fecal transplants between obese mice and lean mice and the resultant effects was actually fraud. Hmmmm.... At least we are fairly certain that fecal transplant has it's place in treating cdif - I think.
OMG!

and Ha!

I can't believe the **** in this industry.

Wow....

I remember the crap I bought. Jerusalm artichoke fiber. It's magic, you know.

"Obesity is a hypothalamic/hormonal issue. Using calorie-based weapons to fight a hormonal issue is like bringing a snorkel to a bicycle race." --Jason Fung
Old 07-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #34
Partyof8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Partyof8
Stats: 348/231/170
WOE: Low Carb, Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: Began journey March '14 Break '15 restart: Jan '16
Hello all
I hit 100 pounds lost a few days ago. I'm back to omad. Trying to eat mostly lc, but not horribly worried.
If I get to the point I feel like I'm going to cheat, I eat a hb egg or coconut oil or broth and that helps hold me until dinner.
I did omad yesterday, but today I'm feeling pretty hungry. scale said +2 pounds after big family reunion, but I may eat some lunch here in a bit.

I am trying to rotate to EOD.

Restart after baby: 285 on 1/18/16 - lost 54 pounds since!
117 pounds total
Today, I will just do my very best.
Partyof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:21 PM   #35
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof8 View Post
Hello all
I hit 100 pounds lost a few days ago. I'm back to omad. Trying to eat mostly lc, but not horribly worried.
If I get to the point I feel like I'm going to cheat, I eat a hb egg or coconut oil or broth and that helps hold me until dinner.
I did omad yesterday, but today I'm feeling pretty hungry. scale said +2 pounds after big family reunion, but I may eat some lunch here in a bit.

Wonderful. So very happy for your success!
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:32 PM   #36
SarahDee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SarahDee
Stats: 210/175/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
janetaz, that sounds like a great loss so far on OMAD!!!!

I personally notice that my weight bumps up and down but the general movement is definitely downwards. I have slight upwards bounces in between fasts, but not major weight differences. I am logging my weight automatically through an app and my scales, so I get a nice graph which shows exactly what is happening. TBH, I don't really put much value in it, I am looking for shrinkage, not weightloss per se. It is fun to see the graph though, and it proves weightlos definitely is not linear to me.
I'm finding the same trend. The bouncing up and down confuses me a bit since sometimes I don't get the woosh from a fast until two days after rather than the next day, but the trend is downward so I'm trying to disregard the little bounces that are probably more due to water retention, etc.
SarahDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:43 PM   #37
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: LC/IF/JUDDD
Start Date: Which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBaconBurgers View Post
Wow! I'm so happy to find this these threads!
Welcome "BBB" (LOVE your username)! These threads are fast moving and it doesn't look like you got a welcome, so WELCOME

This past week alone I've had better luck with IF than I did in weeks of JUDDD (which I really liked). I counted calories two weeks ago and lost 1.5 lbs. Last week I kept half an eye on calories, but did 16/8, with a 19/7 thrown in, I was down 3 lbs.

I'm doing a more Fast 5 style of eating in that when my window opens, I have a little something to eat. Then I enjoy my much missed breakfast BPC and add a bit more of everything to it (butter, cream, CO).

I snack if needed, but honestly the coffee holds me well and sometimes I'd rather just have another one until dinner with my hubby. I'm eating keto keeping my carbs at 20 total or below so I stayed pretty satisfied with my food. I hope to keep moving my window back even further if this keeps up

I'm opting to not count calories this week and just stick to the carbs and upping my water. I'll be shouting from the rooftops if I lose more when I way Saturday.

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #38
Foxtail
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Foxtail
Stats: 305/256/249
Start Date: 7/13/16
I've never heard of Jason Fung before (but will look him up after posting this!) and not sure if this belongs here, but it seems very relevant. I was doing a little research on reversing diabetes and came across some studies done in recent years about two methods that seemed to work. One was a 1200 to 1800 calorie diet with 30-minute exercise 6 times a week that seemed to reverse it for some folks, and another was a liquid diet done with 11 patients that reversed the diabetes of everyone that participated.

The gist of it was a 600 calorie liquid diet (with veggies) that went on for 8 weeks. After the 8 weeks, everyone reversed their diabetes, and even after returning to their normal eating habits, 3 months later most were still in remission.

There's a PDF of the diet from Newcastle University that I'm following, I started last Wednesday. I have never fasted a day in my life, and have had mixed success with every other diet I've followed, so I'm pretty amazed I'm still on it. But after the first two days, which were really hard, it's gotten easier. I feel a ton of energy and my BG readings are great. Reversing diabetes would be amazing.
Foxtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #39
Sunshinegirl44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshinegirl44
Stats: 348/327/115
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 2/8/2015
Fasting is the key

I bet you are on target with this Foxtail. I watch Dr. Fung on youtube. One of the videos he is talking about the different fasts and one was the diets where people have days of 500 calories and he said the calories are low enough to keep insulin down. The key is insulin levels. I have his book and he said a little milk or cream in your coffee is fine for fasting. Keep in mind I am not finished with the book and I need to go back and re read it. Fasting is the key to weight loss. I have done a couple of 2 week water fasts in the past and always lose weight and feel great after the first two or three days. I have been doing a little milk or cream in my coffee all day and I feel great. Like he says in the book hunger comes in waves, that is totally true. I get that wave and I just close my eyes and ride it out. When it passes I feel great. I am going to fast the rest of the day and through to dinner tomorrow. I am going to forget about calories and go for fasting. He talks about however you can work fasting into your life so it does not disrupt your life will work best. I just love this guy he is great. If you have not watched his videos on youtube you should he is great. There are lectures he has given and interviews, he is great. He totally debunks any critics on fasting. Fasting is not only fine it is so good for you especially if you have a lot of weight to loose like I do.
Sunshinegirl44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #40
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hello all

WOOOOOOOOOOTTTTT!!!

That is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #41
nunzio
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nunzio
Stats: 300/260/223
WOE: LCHF.....IF
Start Date: 07-07-2016
I'm a newbie.

I am on my 5th day of my fast.

I started the 19/5 hr. intermittent fast 2 weeks ago.
I read in Dr Fung's book about having to lower my "set weight" through fasting.
I can't find any information on how long to fast to lower my "set weight".

How many days do you have to fast to lower your set weight?

Is it so many days for so much your set weight is lowered?

I started the fast because I'm tired of starting over all the time and wanted to lower my set weight from the start.

Typing is hard for me ,so,...I may seem terse..It is easier for me to get to the point.

I started my fast at 300 Lbs.

Thank-You....Alan
nunzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:14 PM   #42
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/199/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I don't think anyone can say x days fasting = x pounds lower set weight. It depends on a lot of variables- how insulin resistant you are, how long you have been overweight, if you are diabetic- it is all very individual. I think Dr. Fung would tell you that whatever you can do is good.

Five days is great though, I really admire your dedication. Welcome to the thread.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:40 PM   #43
clackley
Chatty Cathy

^^^^Ditto on all points.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
We are butter together!
Old 07-18-2016, 07:21 PM   #44
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgwwilson
Stats: Highest weight 224. 208/166/128. Ht. 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb with IF (16/8)
Start Date: May 16, 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzio View Post
I'm a newbie.

I am on my 5th day of my fast.

I started the 19/5 hr. intermittent fast 2 weeks ago.
I read in Dr Fung's book about having to lower my "set weight" through fasting.
I can't find any information on how long to fast to lower my "set weight".

How many days do you have to fast to lower your set weight?

Is it so many days for so much your set weight is lowered?

I started the fast because I'm tired of starting over all the time and wanted to lower my set weight from the start.

Typing is hard for me ,so,...I may seem terse..It is easier for me to get to the point.

I started my fast at 300 Lbs.

Thank-You....Alan

Hi,

Dr. Fung repeatedly tells people that they can continue to fast as long as they are feeling well. If you start to feel unwell, you need to stop. He also doesn't recommend fasts longer than 1 week without medical supervision. (Doesn't mean you can't - just that he, as a doctor, doesn't recommend it.)

When people ask him how long it will take to lower their set weight he always says it depends on the person - anywhere from a few weeks to a year.

Also, most importantly, fasting isn't a "one time fix". He uses the analogy of taking a bath - you can't take a bath once and expect to stay clean permanently.

Fasting and intermittent fasting are very powerful tools, but need to be made part of your lifestyle to "permanently fix" obesity.

Hope your five day fast goes smoothly. Congrats on taking your first steps!

Carolyn

Last edited by cgwwilson; 07-18-2016 at 07:25 PM..
cgwwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:55 PM   #45
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 228/177/150
WOE: LCHF/IF
Start Date: IF/LCHF start: June 2016
Hi all!

So I had myself set for a 36 hour fast, but ended up breaking my fast at 24 hours, with dinner last night. I felt cold all day, even though we have hot temperatures at the moment, and a bit out of it. I know why too: I ate too little before I started my fast, and my body was telling me that! So I had a nice big dinner of salmon, zucchini, cream, parmesan, herbs and shirataki noodles and felt warm again straight after eating.

Today I am doing my regular 18:6, so I will have some lunch and some dinner and repeat this for tomorrow too. On Wednesday after dinner I will once again attempt a 36 hour fast... This time I will remember to nourish myself properly before fasting, LOL!

female, 41 y/o, 5'10"

My 30-day ketogenic cleanse food pics:
https://goo.gl/photos/BempEGLejSXZ3GcF6
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:05 AM   #46
nunzio
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nunzio
Stats: 300/260/223
WOE: LCHF.....IF
Start Date: 07-07-2016
Thank-you for your replies and encouragement!!

I am going straight into my 19/5 intermittent fast after my 5 day fast.

Will doing the 19/5 fasting help to lower my "set weight" or do I have to do multi day fasting?

If anyone has any thoughts on this please feel free to express them.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings...It can't happen.

Thank-you ...Alan
nunzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:27 AM   #47
Alyona
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Alyona
Keytones,

I am totally impressed with your success, pictures looks amazing, great toned body. I am at 140, and wish I could look similar.....

Got really curious about cheese thing, which is commonly stay-away food for dieters. so quite scared to incorporate it too. Can you perhapes describe your one-two days meal plan with cheese included?
Alyona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:23 AM   #48
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/202/? 5'4"
WOE: JUDDD, reduced carb
Start Date: Tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
The gist of it was a 600 calorie liquid diet (with veggies) that went on for 8 weeks. After the 8 weeks, everyone reversed their diabetes, and even after returning to their normal eating habits, 3 months later most were still in remission.
Having been diabetic for 8 years now, I am not in favor of hearing the word "reversed" in relationship to diabetes. I know that LC diet and exercise can get your blood sugar into a normal range and keep it there as long as you continue with the diet and exercise. But not after returning to their normal eating habits as you said. I am not a doctor, so maybe it could be possible for someone who is diagnosed early with pre-diabetes, but not with a full blown diabetic. I believe that once there is damage to the cells of your pancreas you can never process carbs the way a non-diabetic can. I have had my blood sugar in good control for months, then once I eat a plate of spaghetti with a nice slice of italian bread, my blood sugar skyrockets. I have come to accept the fact that without a LC diet, I will never have good blood sugar without tons of harmful meds. I know there are people who disagree with me. This is just my experience. I have been reading Dr Fung's blog and he uses the word "reverse", but so far I see no reference to ever being able to go back to your previous way of eating and maintaining good blood sugar.

Foxtail, if you try this and have different results than I, I would be very happy for you! I just want you to go into this with your eyes wide open. Either way, it would surely improve your health.

If I had started a year ago I would be at goal today.

No one ever leaves the gym regretting the choice to workout.
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:36 AM   #49
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/202/? 5'4"
WOE: JUDDD, reduced carb
Start Date: Tomorrow
Key Tones, I too have tried a few things over the years that were supposed to work, and even had other people tell me it worked for them. But no results for me. There is no magic pill. Because I am on so many other meds for various medical conditions, I hesitate to take any supplements.

I think people realize they can make $$$ in the diet industry because so many people are needing to lose weight and looking for a quick fix.

I have been stuck for years, no matter what I tried. In the past couple days I have been trying some fasting and my weight, blood sugar and blood pressure have all improved. It's hard for me because I am used to grazing. That's a hard habit to break. But the more often I am successful and the longer I do it, I feel it will become second nature to me and this might be the answer I've been looking for all these years.

I am curious about the cheese, also. I had quit buying it for a while, but bought some over the weekend, hoping to find out how it's fitting in for you.

Sunshine Girl, the info about insulin levels from Dr Fung is really helping me. I didn't realize that I was keeping my insulin levels high with my grazing. I didn't do that years ago, so it's just a bad habit I have to break. I have stopped buying the low carb snacks I usually kept in the house. I never took the thought of fasting seriously because I thought eating LC was all I needed. It works for some, but not for me. I need that extra boost.

It's unbelievable that there's 50 great posts in this thread already, after only 2 days!

If I had started a year ago I would be at goal today.

No one ever leaves the gym regretting the choice to workout.

Last edited by PACarolsue; 07-19-2016 at 06:39 AM..
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:01 AM   #50
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Mimosa, it sounds like you did the right thing. So you know, I am 36 hours into a fast of undeterminate length because yours inspired me.

Alan, I think Dr. Fung would say any fasting is good fasting. Low carb eating helps, short fasts help, long fasts help (probably the most). It all depends on how insulin resistant you are. I think you are on the right track, just try it and see how it goes.

Carolyn, I am not diabetic and have no opinion or special knowledge, but I hear Dr. Fung say "reverse diabetes" often. He says the idea that diabetes is non-reversable is a lie told by the drug companies (intentionally) and doctors (unintentionally). He says doctors have to tell themselves that because they are not curing patients, they are only managing symptoms with insulin and medication. If they can't cure diabetes, they have to tell themselves (and us) that the disease is UNcurable, or else they're bad doctors.

Now, does he mean reversed as long as you don't go back to old habits? I don't know.

My dad was T2 diabetic for about 10 years and was controlled by medication and diet (no insulin). Then he got esophogeal cancer and underwnet treatment, the final stage of which was a surgery to remove the affected section of his esophogus. He lost about 80 lbs in the process (which left him pretty thin). His diabetes is gone. The doctors said it was the weight loss, but I wonder if it wasn't the months he went eating practically nothing because he couldn't swallow and was undergoing chemo. It is kind of a chicken and egg argument- the weight loss itself, or how he lost it- but it is interesting to think about.

My parents were low carbers off and on for years, so my mom is trying to fatten him up with carbs and his BS stays fine (so far anyway, it has been about 2.5 years since he finished treatment).

My dad is an extreme case to be sure, so I don't know how much his story has to do with most people.

Last edited by GME; 07-19-2016 at 07:03 AM..
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:34 AM   #51
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I'd like to jump in on this diabetes discussion--because of my sister's experience, I've read a lot about this although I am not myself diabetic.

I think the issue is that people refer to Type 2 diabetes as though it is all due to the same cause--and it may not be. As Carol points out, if the diabetes is due to a loss of pancreatic function (the pancreas cannot secrete sufficient insulin), then there is NO reversal because the pancreatic cells cannot be regenerated.

However, my sister had WLS (gastric sleeve) mainly because of her uncontrollable blood sugar (she was hesitant to do it for weight because our other sister died in the hospital after WLS several years ago).

My sister was on 3 different Rx and being careful with her diet and yet unable to control her blood sugar, and she began experiencing retinal problems. Her doctors told her that she'd be blind in a few years, and they all recommended WLS to try to control her blood sugar. She was reluctant, but desperate.

It was like a miracle. Within 2 months of the surgery, she had normal blood sugar with NO Rx. That was 3 years ago, and she remains the same--regardless of what she eats. She still tests herself to insure that her BG remains normal.

Her internist suggests (because he has also seen this with some other patients) that her Type2 was 'caused' by visceral fat that was so heavily surrounding the pancreas that it was unable to function properly. That is, there was no damage to the pancreas itself, so that when the fat was lost, the pancreas was free to function normally. Her diabetes was 'reversed,' but it was not 'cured.' Should she regain the weight, it's likely she'd have the same issues, and she understands this which is why she is trying to maintain (and increase) her weight loss. Perhaps this is what happened to Gina's father with his significant weight loss.

But everyone doesn't have the same 'cause' for their Type 2. There are many people of normal weight who have Type 2 diabetes, and it's likely due to a damaged pancreas--as it can be for overweight people, too. Where pancreatic issues are involved, weight is not the primary problem. These people might be able to control their diabetes with diet, but that depends entirely on the degree of damage involved. Most will always need Rx support.

IMO, it is irresponsible for anyone (MD or not) to suggest that 'diabetes' can be 'reversed' unless the person is referring to a specific individual and knows what is the cause of that individual's Type 2 situation. Blanket assertions are not helpful.

Last edited by Leo41; 07-19-2016 at 07:35 AM..
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:06 AM   #52
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

I think the cheese works when used a couple of ways:

1) If you would be drinking a couple of cups of broth and a couple of coffees with cream, substitute a piece of cheese at @ 100 calories. It is much more satisfying. I still drink coffee, but with just a splash of cream.

2) Don't eat any breakfast or lunch! If you are dying, have another piece of cheese as a crutch. You won't probably won't need to do step 1 or step 2 the second week.

At night, eat a salad, or if not hungry, have a Kind bar with 3 slices of cheese. I use the smoked gouda from trader joes. Sometimes I have five slices of cheese, seriously.

Here is my salad:

Romaine lettuce
avocado (like half of one, maybe a whole)
blue cheese (not sure how much, but too much ruins the salad - couple of table spoons)
feta cheese (couple of tablespoons I guess
bacon (couple of tablespoons I guess)
cucumber
carrots
balsamic vinegar

The next day, eat the way you usually do. I like these salads, seriously, I could live on these things--I've been eating a lot of these.

I'm not eating meat regularly.

Week two, if you have lost your appetite, do OMAD if you want. I think the trick here is to let appetite be your guide. Don't force the fast. If you're hungry, eat. If you're not, don't.

Last edited by Key Tones; 07-19-2016 at 08:11 AM..
Old 07-19-2016, 08:25 AM   #53
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

As you can see, I eat mostly fat. I really like these avocados.

I am not eating much meat at all.

I am eating a lot of romaine lettuce and balsamic vinegar.

I forgot to mention I have two flinstone vitamins per day, with the cheese.

I have at least one kind bar, maybe two, at night. NEVER during the day.

When I am at home, I use liberal amounts of almond milk in my decaf coffee at night.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:01 AM   #54
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Interesting posts on type 2 diabetes. I agree that the 'reversal' of this diseased state makes me uncomfortable. Like getting fat and all the other things that come with that, we can never go back to the way we once ate lest we get all those things back. I think it is all one degree of metabolic disease caused by over consumption of simple carbohydrates. I do believe it is logical and proven that we can regenerate healthy cells in the proper environment.

I would use the example of irritable bowel syndrome or even celiac disease . This is a chronic and progressive disease but in many cases, once the causative elements (i.e. gluten and or grains etc.), the disease state reverses. In time a person can be free of those diseases with adherence. Flair ups can occur with even the tiniest of bits of improper food. But with long lengths of good eating, even these flair ups may not occur. Theory is that the body does heal. Dr. Ludwig writes about this in his book 'Life Without Bread'. Personally, this has been the case for me. I can now have an occasional beer or taste of wheat without the almost immediate reaction. I am still pretty careful but I would say my condition has healed to a great degree.

I am actually checking in to complain. I am so hungry today. I did fine up until now with OMAD but for some reason today, I am plagued with wanting to eat. I am going out (clothes shopping) to try and remove any temptation. I just tested blood ketones and they are pretty good at 3.5 so no sure what the deal is.....

We are butter together!
Old 07-19-2016, 09:12 AM   #55
SarahDee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SarahDee
Stats: 210/175/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 28
I'm loving all the support and success people are having here! I also appreciate the information. I've read the Obesity Code, but haven't heard any of the videos/podcasts - so love all the info you all are bringing from it.

Wanted to post that I dropped another 2 pounds! Hurrah - and I keep doing "accidental" fasts and yesterday only had OMAD. I start planning on eating regularly, and then don't get hungry, so skip meals. lol! That's never happened to me before, even when doing very low carb. I'm only a pound away from my end of the month goal weight - which is not the norm for me. Usually, each pound is a struggle! I'm going to continue to explore this fasting thing and see where it goes. Hope everyone has a good fasting day.
SarahDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:29 AM   #56
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

I am actually checking in to complain. I am so hungry today. I did fine up until now with OMAD but for some reason today, I am plagued with wanting to eat. I am going out (clothes shopping) to try and remove any temptation. I just tested blood ketones and they are pretty good at 3.5 so no sure what the deal is.....
Good luck today. Clothes shopping does it for me when I need diet distraction- I'm out, I'm busy, I'm in front of 3-sided mirrors in my underwear......
Old 07-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #57
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

A few posts back a mentioned I was thinking of setting a goal of 100 fasting days this year. My birthday is coming up (50 How did that sneak up on me?) and I thought about starting then, but I decided to go ahead and start early because I pulled off a fasting day yesterday and because I will be on vacation on my actual birthday and want to get a head start.

I have a google-version-of-Excel file that I use track my weight, workouts, blood pressure, etc, so I added a page for fasting. I numbered it in 10 blocks of 10 so it doesn't look so daunting. I plan to count full days without food toward my days. If I can fill out one block per month, I'll get done early.

I did my first day yesterday, so just 99 more before July 29, 2017.

Anyone want to join me? Set any goal you want.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:48 AM   #58
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Quote:
Interesting posts on type 2 diabetes. I agree that the 'reversal' of this diseased state makes me uncomfortable. Like getting fat and all the other things that come with that, we can never go back to the way we once ate lest we get all those things back. I think it is all one degree of metabolic disease caused by over consumption of simple carbohydrates. I do believe it is logical and proven that we can regenerate healthy cells in the proper environment.

I would use the example of irritable bowel syndrome or even celiac disease . This is a chronic and progressive disease but in many cases, once the causative elements (i.e. gluten and or grains etc.), the disease state reverses. In time a person can be free of those diseases with adherence. Flair ups can occur with even the tiniest of bits of improper food. But with long lengths of good eating, even these flair ups may not occur. Theory is that the body does heal. Dr. Ludwig writes about this in his book 'Life Without Bread'. Personally, this has been the case for me. I can now have an occasional beer or taste of wheat without the almost immediate reaction. I am still pretty careful but I would say my condition has healed to a great degree.

Interesting. Is it hormones like TOM or ?

What are you using to test your blood ketones. I am not sure what to get. That number is WOW! Yeah!

TOM is heading out for me but I woke up with a raging headache. I could be trying to go into menopause - who knows. But I fasted well again and on I go. I also lost a whole pound. So that was cool....
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #59
ButterBaconBurgers
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 135/123/121
WOE: LCHF + 2 36 hr. fast per week
Start Date: June 4, 2016
Quote:
Hello all
I hit 100 pounds lost a few days ago. I'm back to omad. Trying to eat mostly lc,
Yay, Partyof8!!!! That is awesome

Thank you for the welcome Vanilla Latte!

Nunzio, newbie here too!

Mimosa, we broke our 36 hr fast last Sunday too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
However, my sister had WLS (gastric sleeve) mainly because of her uncontrollable blood sugar (she was hesitant to do it for weight because our other sister died in the hospital after WLS several years ago).

My sister was on 3 different Rx and being careful with her diet and yet unable to control her blood sugar, and she began experiencing retinal problems. Her doctors told her that she'd be blind in a few years, and they all recommended WLS to try to control her blood sugar. She was reluctant, but desperate.

It was like a miracle. Within 2 months of the surgery, she had normal blood sugar with NO Rx. That was 3 years ago, and she remains the same--regardless of what she eats. She still tests herself to insure that her BG remains normal.
Leo, Dr. Fung often refers to these kind of stories in his explanation of why fasting works. I think he stated that the success of these surgeries is actually what got him to rethink how he treated his diabetes patients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
A few posts back a mentioned I was thinking of setting a goal of 100 fasting days this year. My birthday is coming up (50

I did my first day yesterday, so just 99 more before July 29, 2017.

Anyone want to join me? Set any goal you want.
Gina, my goal is to fast two days a week ... well, forever I'm keeping track of my 36-hr fasts, today will be number 13, so I'd love to have a short-term goal of 100!

As I mentioned, on my 13th 36-hr fast today. Started last night at 8:30pm. It seems, so far, each one is different. I actually did my first one on June 4 (I think I said July prior and couldn't edit it!)

Also, just finished a week—7 whole days!—of no sweet tastes (and caffeine). First time I've ever done this. My craving for the sweet stuff has gone up and down, my go-to treat since I've been LC has been yerba mate with stevia. SIGH. I don't use any other as, it's been either stevia or the real stuff or fruit. I'm not sure how long this will last, but I was feeling really tired (which is why I cut the caffeine) and I kept having eating episodes. I just wanted to find out if the sweet taste of stevia was triggering sugar cravings that I always seemed to ... eventually ... act on!

I'm reading a book called Sweet Nothing which is helping a lot. It's written by a brit woman, kind of a like a Bridget Jones take on quitting sugar.

And I just wanted to mention I LOVE LOVE LOVE the July 1 and July 7 posts on Dr. Fung's blog. The July 1st was a 4th of July eating guide that I think would work year round and the one on the 7th is a quick start guide for reversing diabetes. Even though I don't have diabetes, the guide was a great inspiration for me.

As far as his claims for curing diabetes, I thought the stories on the June 2 post were amazing. It was that post that inspired me to try 36-hr fasting after swearing I'd never fast again!!!!
ButterBaconBurgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #60
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Keytones-

Thanks for the detailed description of your 'fasting' regime in response to another poster's inquiry.

As I read it, I was fascinated by the fact that you could have been describing a JUDDD 'down day.' What you eat is entirely consistent with JUDDD--which, of course, is a form of 'alternate day fasting.'
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote