Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 07-19-2016, 12:14 PM   #61
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgwwilson
Stats: Highest weight 224. 208/166/128. Ht. 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb with IF (16/8)
Start Date: May 16, 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzio View Post
Thank-you for your replies and encouragement!!

I am going straight into my 19/5 intermittent fast after my 5 day fast.

Will doing the 19/5 fasting help to lower my "set weight" or do I have to do multi day fasting?

If anyone has any thoughts on this please feel free to express them.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings...It can't happen.

Thank-you ...Alan
Hi Alan,

The 19/5 helps. It's not as powerful as longer fasts, so mixing the 19/5 as your daily way of eating with longer fasts should move you more quickly down the road towards your goal.

Keep us posted please!

Carolyn

Last edited by cgwwilson; 07-19-2016 at 12:16 PM..
cgwwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #62
Jjsmama
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jjsmama
Stats: 164/158/138
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 13, 2015 (JUDDD)
Is anyone having success losing using Fasting without being LC or LCHF? I am not haivng success losing in any method, even though my JUDDD numbers and now my 24 hour fasts are textbook. I think my body just keeps retaining water. oh well. I am keeping it up though because I KNOW the weight has to start coming off sometime.

Anyway, in an effort to shift this water weight/ and or get things moving in the right direction, i have added LCHF too. I have done it for 3 days now (although today i havent eaten anything.) i still have not had a whoosh, but maybe tomorrow...? Anyway, LCHF just makes me feel nauseous and eggs make my stomach hurt. I dont mind staying away breads, etc but trying to get all that fat in does not agree with me.

Does that improve or will the Fung work just as well with 'a sensible diet'? ( We all know how well those work on their own...

Wife to 1+ Mom to 3= 4 Fabulous Fellows
Jjsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:40 PM   #63
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgwwilson
Stats: Highest weight 224. 208/166/128. Ht. 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb with IF (16/8)
Start Date: May 16, 2016
Hi Jennifer,

Whole, unprocessed foods are what most Intermittent fasting programs recommend, including Dr. Fung's Intensive Dietary Management program. LCHF isn't necessary, but for a lot of us, it seems to speed up the weight loss.

As long as you cut out all refined, processed foods (including processed vegetable oils), high starch veggies (basically veggies that grow underground) and stick to small quantities of low glycemic load fruits you'll basically be following Fung's protocol for weight loss. (Processed foods include all artificial sweeteners too - something a lot of us are not ready to give up quite yet.)

Personally, I would say try to keep your total NET carb intake below 50, your protein moderate and consume the amounts and types of fat that you do enjoy. You might want to see how something like that that goes - if you find LCHF unpleasant you're unlikely to make it a way of life. . .

Last edited by cgwwilson; 07-19-2016 at 01:47 PM..
cgwwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:48 PM   #64
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/221/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC 2004, gastric sleeve 9/15, Fung Fasting 3/16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Keytones-

Thanks for the detailed description of your 'fasting' regime in response to another poster's inquiry.

As I read it, I was fascinated by the fact that you could have been describing a JUDDD 'down day.' What you eat is entirely consistent with JUDDD--which, of course, is a form of 'alternate day fasting.'
Yes, I agree - I think the Fung fasting is a great template to overlay onto JUDDD.

"Obesity is a hypothalamic/hormonal issue. Using calorie-based weapons to fight a hormonal issue is like bringing a snorkel to a bicycle race." --Jason Fung
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #65
Patlaf
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Gina thanks for starting the new thread. It is always my first go to on the computer.

SarahDee you made my day. I really enjoy a glass or two of Spanish dry white wine--or on special occasions--Cava.

I did a 24 hour fast from seven o'clock on Sunday evening until seven o'clock on Monday. Today I fasted from seven last night until two o'clock. I hope the two glasses of white wine I had with dinner don't do too much damage.

To join in the diabetic discussion, my late husband was D2 for about ten years, like your father Gina he was on medication (Glucobay, Metaformin and another one I've forgotten the name of). He suffered a serious stroke and was unable to eat or drink for almost two months. He was fed with a syringe through a tube in his stomach. One day, after two months, he could talk, eat soft foods by mouth and drink. After three months he could eat and drink anything which he proceeded to do with no effect whatsoever on his blood sugar. Unfortunately he had a second, fatal, stroke three years later, but those three years were completely diabetes free, in spite of his diet.

Pat
Patlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #66
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Hi Fungsters I don't post much, but I have read every post.

I wanted to chime in on the reversing diabetes conversation. I am not diabetic, but of course like everyone, know and love many diabetics. I think it all depends on your definition of "reverse". Does reverse mean it's gone forever? That's not my take. Does reverse mean that you no longer have the active disease of diabetes? Yes, that's how I lean. If your blood sugars are normal, if you are not on any diabetes medicines and if you show no signs of diabetes, then you are no longer diabetic, right? It's not in remission, it's actually gone.

Now here is my pet peeve......when I read: but what happens if you start eating "normal" again? Will your diabetes still be "reversed"? I immediately think, hmm normal, as in eating all that stuff that caused the damage in the first place? How is that "normal"? Just because a small minority (check the obesity/diabetes stats) can eat all that "normal" stuff, doesn't make it the ideal diet. It's just the norm we have become use to after decades of being lied to about what causes obesity, diabetes, metabolic disorders, hormonal imbalances, neurological disorders, cancers and I presume much more.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:56 PM   #67
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
"If your blood sugars are normal, if you are not on any diabetes medicines and if you show no signs of diabetes, then you are no longer diabetic, right? It's not in remission, it's actually gone."

I must disagree. As I posted, my sister had WLS and now has normal blood sugars with no Rx--but, according to her doctor, her diabetes is not 'gone.' He says that the only test of the disease actually being 'gone' is a good Glucose Tolerance Test--because that's the test that shows how your body handles sugar.

The only WLS that has had patients who 'passed' the GTT is gastric bypass, and doctors are still unsure what actually occurs to enable their 'cure.' My sister had the gastric sleeve--but she's totally happy being off all her Rx and not interested in taking a GTT.

As an aside, I'm hypothyroid, and my first endo had me take a GTT because Type 2 is prevalent among my siblings, I was obese at the time, and she wondered whether my low carb WOE was 'masking' diabetes---in other words, was I controlling it with diet so that I had normal BG despite being Type 2.

She felt it was important to know. I had to 'carb up' for 3 days prior to the test for accuracy, but that was no problem because I, too, wanted to know--and was very relieved that I didn't have diabetes.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:31 PM   #68
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/165/155
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Yes, I agree - I think the Fung fasting is a great template to overlay onto JUDDD.
I am going to pick on you again Katie!!! I think it is important to remember that Fung fasting means to consume as little or not foods at all during a fast. That includes a.s. too. This is where the attitude about calories comes in.

Some say (and likely rightly so) that very reduced calories constitutes a fast. The problem I see with this is that it now introduces the antagonistic question of what are those calories made up of and how do they impact insulin response.

I believe this question (or answer) is addressed by Fung by saying that some fats are okay. He does not give a maximum but certainly has explained that first it is best to meet people where they are. Then to encourage as close to water type fast as possible.

When fasting is over - feast. Again, no calorie cap or any discussion of such a thing. Just eat whole foods and eat to satisfaction - not beyond.

So I bulk at the idea that Fung fasting is a template for Fung fasting because the basic principles are far different and quite counter to each other. Remember that Fung is quite clear that he thinks CICO is not part of this protocol.

I think the JUDDD program has a lot of merit but is not really comparable to Fung fasting IMHO.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #69
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Fasting and LCHF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedldy View Post

I wanted to chime in on the reversing diabetes conversation. I am not diabetic, but of course like everyone, know and love many diabetics. I think it all depends on your definition of "reverse". Does reverse mean it's gone forever? That's not my take. Does reverse mean that you no longer have the active disease of diabetes? Yes, that's how I lean. If your blood sugars are normal, if you are not on any diabetes medicines and if you show no signs of diabetes, then you are no longer diabetic, right? It's not in remission, it's actually gone.

Now here is my pet peeve......when I read: but what happens if you start eating "normal" again? Will your diabetes still be "reversed"? I immediately think, hmm normal, as in eating all that stuff that caused the damage in the first place? How is that "normal"? Just because a small minority (check the obesity/diabetes stats) can eat all that "normal" stuff, doesn't make it the ideal diet. It's just the norm we have become use to after decades of being lied to about what causes obesity, diabetes, metabolic disorders, hormonal imbalances, neurological disorders, cancers and I presume much more.

Very well said!

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:10 PM   #70
Scarlet_Belle
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Scarlet_Belle
Stats: 203/179.6/??? (5'2.5" tall)
WOE: Zero Carb
Start Date: 11/30/16
It is day 3, and this morning I was down 2.6 lbs. I skip breakfast and lunch and try to eat dinner at 5 every night. I was a bit hungry late last night so I scavenged. I had some noodle salad and dark chocolate after my lowcarb dinner of scrambled eggs, green vegetables, salad, and a protein bar, which I ate for dinner at 5 PM on both days 1 and 2. Today I don't have much appetite, and didn't need provolone cheese, broth, or cream.

day 1: skipped breakfast/lunch, ate a slice of cheese only, and drank water until dinner
day 2: skipped BF/L, ate cheese and had broth with cream, drank water until dinner
day 3: skipped BF/L, no appetite, drank water until dinner (which was tuna, protein bar, salad)

I hope I will reach my first goal of getting under 190 lbs this week! I've been losing and gaining the same 5 lbs over and over for 2 months! 189 here I come!!!!!!
Scarlet_Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #71
Foxtail
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Foxtail
Stats: 305/256/249
Start Date: 7/13/16
Sunshine, thank you for the welcome! I also have a lot to lose, so I'm right there with you!

Hi CarolSue! According to what I read, yes type 2 diabetes is actually reversed in some patients with a specific diet.

Quote:
Our work has shown that type 2 diabetes is not inevitably progressive and life-long. We have demonstrated that in many people who have had type 2 diabetes for up to 10 years, major weight loss returns insulin secretion to normal.
Here's a link from Newcastle University with more details and links.

Also the link to the PDF of the diet they propose if anyone is interested. (This is the fast/diet I'm following.) I should note that the PDF suggests Optifast, but I'm doing a protein shake instead, and taking a multi-vitamin. I don't think I need Optifast (I don't see what's so special about it, besides I assume it costing an arm and a leg) and I don't really want to do that, but I have a dr appt coming up and will find out what they think.

I think the information in this research seems to be nearly identical to what Dr. Fung is saying, from what I have heard/read of him thus far.

Paraphrasing from some of the articles I've read, one of the reasons they did the fasting study (IIRC) is that the doctors believe that the reason people who get gastric bypass reverse their diabetes is because of the liquid fast that they all start out with. They say that the fat in/around the organs is the first to be used for energy in a fast, and that the process of removing the fat seems to restore the organs to their normal function.

RE: eating "normal", I think the issue is that we don't know what causes type 2 to begin with. Some people are under the mistaken belief that being fat, eating too much, eating too much candy/soda etc. is what causes people to get type 2. On the Blood Sugar 101 blog, there's lots of evidence that refutes this.

I think the real question is if, after going through all the difficulties of being diagnosed with and living with type 2, if someone reversed it after a lot of hard work, not knowing exactly what caused it but knowing how they reversed it, why would they go back to old habits and risk having it return?
Foxtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #72
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I am going to pick on you again Katie!!! I think it is important to remember that Fung fasting means to consume as little or not foods at all during a fast. That includes a.s. too. This is where the attitude about calories comes in.

Some say (and likely rightly so) that very reduced calories constitutes a fast. The problem I see with this is that it now introduces the antagonistic question of what are those calories made up of and how do they impact insulin response.

I believe this question (or answer) is addressed by Fung by saying that some fats are okay. He does not give a maximum but certainly has explained that first it is best to meet people where they are. Then to encourage as close to water type fast as possible.

When fasting is over - feast. Again, no calorie cap or any discussion of such a thing. Just eat whole foods and eat to satisfaction - not beyond.

So I bulk at the idea that Fung fasting is a template for Fung fasting because the basic principles are far different and quite counter to each other. Remember that Fung is quite clear that he thinks CICO is not part of this protocol.

I think the JUDDD program has a lot of merit but is not really comparable to Fung fasting IMHO.
Thanks - you are right as usual.

I guess I don't know what JUDDD is - I forgot about the calorie counting, except for the 500 calorie fast days. I tried it once but I'm no good at calorie counting.

"Obesity is a hypothalamic/hormonal issue. Using calorie-based weapons to fight a hormonal issue is like bringing a snorkel to a bicycle race." --Jason Fung
Old 07-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #73
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

Did you see Chris Kresser's FB post? The nitrites/nitrates scare debunked. Eat your bacon, it's actually good for you.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:08 AM   #74
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 228/177/150
WOE: LCHF/IF
Start Date: IF/LCHF start: June 2016
Quote:

I am actually checking in to complain. I am so hungry today. I did fine up until now with OMAD but for some reason today, I am plagued with wanting to eat. I am going out (clothes shopping) to try and remove any temptation. I just tested blood ketones and they are pretty good at 3.5 so no sure what the deal is.....
How are you today, Cathy? I found that feeling super hungry happens sometimes for me. I just eat then. When I was feeling funny on Monday evening, I ate as well, and funny enough, the scales showed a loss on Tuesday morning! I like how fasting is so flexible, and works to fit in with life and your body's needs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahDee View Post
I'm loving all the support and success people are having here! I also appreciate the information. I've read the Obesity Code, but haven't heard any of the videos/podcasts - so love all the info you all are bringing from it.

Wanted to post that I dropped another 2 pounds! Hurrah - and I keep doing "accidental" fasts and yesterday only had OMAD. I start planning on eating regularly, and then don't get hungry, so skip meals. lol! That's never happened to me before, even when doing very low carb. I'm only a pound away from my end of the month goal weight - which is not the norm for me. Usually, each pound is a struggle! I'm going to continue to explore this fasting thing and see where it goes. Hope everyone has a good fasting day.
Sounds like a plan, and well done on the weightloss! Isn't fasting fantastic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBaconBurgers View Post

Mimosa, we broke our 36 hr fast last Sunday too.

Also, just finished a week—7 whole days!—of no sweet tastes (and caffeine). First time I've ever done this. My craving for the sweet stuff has gone up and down, my go-to treat since I've been LC has been yerba mate with stevia. SIGH. I don't use any other as, it's been either stevia or the real stuff or fruit. I'm not sure how long this will last, but I was feeling really tired (which is why I cut the caffeine) and I kept having eating episodes. I just wanted to find out if the sweet taste of stevia was triggering sugar cravings that I always seemed to ... eventually ... act on!
Woot Woot!!! Well done BBB!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedldy View Post

So true!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Belle View Post
It is day 3, and this morning I was down 2.6 lbs. I skip breakfast and lunch and try to eat dinner at 5 every night. I was a bit hungry late last night so I scavenged. I had some noodle salad and dark chocolate after my lowcarb dinner of scrambled eggs, green vegetables, salad, and a protein bar, which I ate for dinner at 5 PM on both days 1 and 2. Today I don't have much appetite, and didn't need provolone cheese, broth, or cream.

day 1: skipped breakfast/lunch, ate a slice of cheese only, and drank water until dinner
day 2: skipped BF/L, ate cheese and had broth with cream, drank water until dinner
day 3: skipped BF/L, no appetite, drank water until dinner (which was tuna, protein bar, salad)

I hope I will reach my first goal of getting under 190 lbs this week! I've been losing and gaining the same 5 lbs over and over for 2 months! 189 here I come!!!!!!
Fantastic!!!! Well done! xx

Quote:
Did you see Chris Kresser's FB post? The nitrites/nitrates scare debunked. Eat your bacon, it's actually good for you.
Key Tones, this is the best news I have heard for a long time! I will choose to take this as my new gospel, LOL! I loooooove bacon, could eat it all day every day, LOL!

So day two of my 'normal' schedule of 18:6 and will have a salad for lunch and a good meal this evening so I will manage my 36 hour intended fast better than I did on Monday where I managed 24 hours before I felt funny and I needed to eat.

After reading lots about protein amounts, I have lowered my upper protein limit significantly, to 1lb per kilo of my 'normal' weight and the lower limit is at 1lb per kilo of my lean body mass. The numbers are now between 52 grams and 78 grams, and since applying this I have noticed better losses and funnily enough more energy. Using several Keto calculators, I have noticed they use higher numbers, and I am wondering why that is now.

I am also calculating my foods less. I keep my carbs low but have generally stopped counting carbs (I only eat low carb veggies and a few nuts for my main carb intake) and my fats I just add what I fancy at that meal.

My menus are still very much LCHF but with less stress in the planning! Only calculating my protein accurately for now, until I get the hang of the amounts needed to stay within my set limits.

I will always stick with ZC or LCHF, because it just makes me feel so much better, but occasionally exceeding carbs or fats is no problem now.

Fasting certainly allows for less stress, because it corrects lots of mistakes naturally, I love it!

female, 40 y/o, 5'10"

My weightloss journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...2#post17556452

My 30-day ketogenic cleanse food pics:
https://goo.gl/photos/BempEGLejSXZ3GcF6
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:31 AM   #75
Alyona
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Alyona
Thank you very much, Keytones

Truly appreciate such a detailed response. I do 2-3 times a week 24 hrs fasting, lost 20 pounds since spring, but my body is far by looking as toned as yours.

So am wondering if cheese might help

Btw, do you do some special exercises?
Alyona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:03 AM   #76
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 228/177/150
WOE: LCHF/IF
Start Date: IF/LCHF start: June 2016
Sorry for my posts! I keep thinking of other stuff to say, but wait too long to edit and add to my existing post...

So how many of you have incorporated exercise into their lives?

I am terrible, I tend to do well for a few weeks and then stop.

My daily exercise consists of 3 walks with the dog, which amounts to about 1.5 hours a day. For the rest I do walk occasionally at work, but my job is mainly desk bound. And I live too far away from work to walk or cycle there.

So I am in another one of my slumps, and I do feel I should be doing a little more somehow. I have some exercise equipment at home (rebounder, big ball, medicine ball, weights, kettlebell, step) and some excellent exercise DVD's (T-Tapp, yoga, kettlebell, rebounding) so I need to just get up off my backside and do it. BUT.... I always find an excuse not to! AAAAAAgh! I am going to venture into the exercise board and see if I can join a challenge... I just feel that incorporating some exercise with my WOE would get better results health-wise...

female, 40 y/o, 5'10"

My weightloss journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...2#post17556452

My 30-day ketogenic cleanse food pics:
https://goo.gl/photos/BempEGLejSXZ3GcF6
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:16 AM   #77
Jjsmama
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I agree. I have now read Dr Johnson's book and Dr Fung's book and this seems to be the difference between Fung and JUDDD. Seems like so few calories would not matter, but maybe they DO because of the insulin response.

For Instance, I was being true to my DD calories, but my favorite DD food was 10-12 saltine crackers with peanut butter. Maybe the carbs and sugar were enough to affect my insulin response eventhough it was only a couple hundred calories. Whatever the reason, i was not losing on JUDDD at all this time ( did lose a couple years ago.) i just finished my 3rd Fung 24 hour fast, also keeping low carb foods during non fasting and the scale is beginning to move down

the best news is that the scale started moving on the 24 hour fasts when it was not moving on the 36-40 hour Dds, which means that i have been eating dinner with my family. I love that!

Old 07-20-2016, 06:21 AM   #78
nunzio
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nunzio
Stats: 300/260/223
WOE: LCHF.....IF
Start Date: 07-07-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
Sorry for my posts! I keep thinking of other stuff to say, but wait too long to edit and add to my existing post...

So how many of you have incorporated exercise into their lives?

I am terrible, I tend to do well for a few weeks and then stop.

My daily exercise consists of 3 walks with the dog, which amounts to about 1.5 hours a day. For the rest I do walk occasionally at work, but my job is mainly desk bound. And I live too far away from work to walk or cycle there.

So I am in another one of my slumps, and I do feel I should be doing a little more somehow. I have some exercise equipment at home (rebounder, big ball, medicine ball, weights, kettlebell, step) and some excellent exercise DVD's (T-Tapp, yoga, kettlebell, rebounding) so I need to just get up off my backside and do it. BUT.... I always find an excuse not to! AAAAAAgh! I am going to venture into the exercise board and see if I can join a challenge... I just feel that incorporating some exercise with my WOE would get better results health-wise...
I walk on a treadmill everyday. I have room to set it in front of a TV.I can watch recorded shows and walk.I HATE TREADMILLS !!!!!!!!!! It's the only way I have found that I will use them everyday.That....And my wife bugs me sooo much asking me if I walked yet Today...it is easier to just get it over with !!! ...A supportive wife is Great to have.
nunzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:23 AM   #79
Jjsmama
Senior LCF Member

Speaking of 24 hour vs 36 hour fast: One thing i cannot find the answer to though: although 24 hour may help lower insulin and weight loss, is it enough to lower the set point weight? In the book, he details the body's responses to a fast by the number of hours, and at 24 hours , the good stuff is really just beginning to happen, but he suggests that dinner to dinner fasts nonetheless have merit.

He spends a lot of time telling that the set point is one of the biggest issues but i can't find any info on how many/ fasting duration it will take to start lowering the set point? Has anyone seen that info? I can go back to 36 hour fasts is that is what it takes to make a difference, but dinner to dinner fits so much better into my role as mother.

Afte all this reading, and after Fast 5 and JUDDD leading to NO losses ( and massive water retention) this year, i really am beginning to think that I have stubborn insulin resistance and would like to do what I can to really change it.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:31 AM   #80
Jjsmama
Senior LCF Member

Is anyone else finding that you need less sleep? I have always loved sleep and been early to bed. Lately, I am becoming s night owl and finding it harder and harder to fall asleep, yet I am waking earlier and feel rested. It is a good thing, but very strange.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:51 AM   #81
nunzio
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjsmama View Post
Speaking of 24 hour vs 36 hour fast: One thing i cannot find the answer to though: although 24 hour may help lower insulin and weight loss, is it enough to lower the set point weight? In the book, he details the body's responses to a fast by the number of hours, and at 24 hours , the good stuff is really just beginning to happen, but he suggests that dinner to dinner fasts nonetheless have merit.

He spends a lot of time telling that the set point is one of the biggest issues but i can't find any info on how many/ fasting duration it will take to start lowering the set point? Has anyone seen that info? I can go back to 36 hour fasts is that is what it takes to make a difference, but dinner to dinner fits so much better into my role as mother.

Afte all this reading, and after Fast 5 and JUDDD leading to NO losses ( and massive water retention) this year, i really am beginning to think that I have stubborn insulin resistance and would like to do what I can to really change it.
Thanks for asking this question!!!
You phrased much better than I can.
I am having the same problem of finding more info on set point weight.
I just finished a 5 day fast and I am hoping that the fast will be a starting point ,but, I can't do 5 day fasts after school starts! I'm on 19/5 and I love it!!I really need to lower my set point weight.I understand everyone is different but,I am hoping someone has more info.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:16 AM   #82
Jjsmama
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzio View Post
Thanks for asking this question!!!
You phrased much better than I can.
I am having the same problem of finding more info on set point weight.
I just finished a 5 day fast and I am hoping that the fast will be a starting point ,but, I can't do 5 day fasts after school starts! I'm on 19/5 and I love it!!I really need to lower my set point weight.I understand everyone is different but,I am hoping someone has more info.
Congratulations! 5 days is quite an achievement!

Old 07-20-2016, 07:27 AM   #83
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/165/155
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
My shopping trip was an okay distraction even though the smell of food seemed to be all around me. It seems the new trend is to have small cafe style places inside clothing stores! I ended my trip at Costco (had to go) and the sample tables won me over but just had a few almonds, and a tiny piece of cheese. I was still ravenous when I got home. My fast lasted until about 3pm. so not terrible. Just weird.

Btw, I am 61 and have no fluctuating hormonal issues. I have not weighed yet today but don't feel as if there was a shift there. Today, I am feeling fine so whatever seems to have passed and I am doing OMAD as per usual.

So just fasting on and trying to convince myself to go longer than OMAD..... you guys are all so inspiring. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:57 AM   #84
nunzio
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Congratulations! 5 days is quite an achievement!
Thanks!!

I did it to lower my set point weight..I hope that it worked.

I have No kids, No job till school starts and a VERY Supportive Wife!!!.

Those were Key to my finishing.

I missed my coffee with cream and sweetener the most....much more than food..that was interesting.
Perrier Mineral Water with lime really helped me when I did get hungry.

The 5 day fast was really Anti-climatic. I had all sorts of worries that just did not happen. If I can do it ,anyone can do it!! ...IF... they don't have the pressures of kids,job etc.
I think that is what would make it much harder for someone to do.

Last edited by nunzio; 07-20-2016 at 08:00 AM..
Old 07-20-2016, 08:20 AM   #85
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/201/? 5'4"
WOE: reduced carb,IE
Start Date: Restart 1/1/17
Clackley, clothes shopping can stop my appetite dead in it's tracks! LOL Every time I see myself in that mirror I swear I will never eat again! I should do it every couple days, just to keep myself in line.

In my old age, I have lost most of my sense of smell, so I am not bothered about smells of food around me. Gotta take the good with the bad. LOL

Gina, I am happy to hear your father's story. It gives me hope that maybe I'm wrong, and can reach that point myself some day. He is an extreme case, and I wouldn't want to go through what he went through to reach that result, but maybe losing enough weight could/would do it for me. There are so many carbs that are no longer in my diet and now they don't even interest me, but I would love to reach the point where I could once again have a slice of pizza.

Since I started my own form of fasting over the past few days, the scale has gone down several lbs. This is the first downward movement I've had since 2011. I am so scared to think that I have really found my nitch! I hope to be able to gradually extend my fasting to longer periods of time as my body becomes used to it. I like your idea of 100 days of fasting, and your way of tracking your stats.

Grneyedidly, I understand what you're saying about returned to the bad habits that caused the diabetes in the first place, but I still feel that if your blood sugar only stays good if you eliminate certain foods, then it's not a cure, but controlled by diet. I don't necessarily consider a normal diet bad. I'm not talking about sugars, fast food, salty snacks, etc. I'm talking about a piece of toast with eggs in the morning, a normal size portion of potatoes at dinner. An ear of corn at a cookout. I don't feel that they contribute to diabetes. It's the excessive amounts that led to my 80 lb weight gain and lack of exercise that did it, IMO. And I don't think any of us can deny that that's what made us overweight.

Key Tones, the fat you are eating is healthy fat. Your salad is my kind of salad, minus the bacon. It's just too salty for me.

Foxtail, thank you for the links. I have bookmarked them and will go back and read them in depth. Like I said before, I would be very happy to be able to say that I am wrong. I am just going by my own experience and those of people I know IRL. I hope to be able to come back at some point and say that I have normal blood sugar no matter what I eat.

Jjsmama, I agree that sleep is better without a lot of heavy food in your stomach. I have been a poor sleeper for many years, only getting 4-5 hours, but now I seem to be able to sleep longer, 7-8 hours.

If I had started a year ago I would be at goal today.

No one ever leaves the gym regretting the choice to workout.
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:51 AM   #86
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyona View Post
Thank you very much, Keytones

Truly appreciate such a detailed response. I do 2-3 times a week 24 hrs fasting, lost 20 pounds since spring, but my body is far by looking as toned as yours.

So am wondering if cheese might help

Btw, do you do some special exercises?
NO exercise. NONE. I haven't even been using my exercise ball at all.

I always have good intentions, but it doesn't seem to happen.

For example, my paleo doctor, Dr. Naiman, is RIPPED using just his body weight, and the only equipment he uses is a pull up bar and his own body weight with the bar and floor exercises.

I bought the pull up bar. I haven't used it, LOL....

Really, I'm not toned at all, and I'm small boned (but wide-framed), so there is a great deal of fat everywhere still, mostly in my hips and thighs. My height hides it well.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:03 AM   #87
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Is anyone else finding that you need less sleep? I have always loved sleep and been early to bed. Lately, I am becoming s night owl and finding it harder and harder to fall asleep, yet I am waking earlier and feel rested. It is a good thing, but very strange.
I have this trouble on low carb in general.

I've mentioned that I eat some carbs before bed to fall asleep. I am so low protein that I don't think I eat enough spare protein for my body to convert it to glucose.

Anyway, I have found something else that helps. I know you all might be horrified, but I have been going to a tanning salon. I want a little color for a picture my company is going to take at the end of August for the website. I am white as a ghost naturally.

I find that after I go to the tanning salon, I become extremely relaxed and fall asleep!

I tried out the tanning salon a couple of years ago after one of the paleo or low carb or some tangent thereof docs recommended it to get vitamin D. I can't remember which one said to do this now. I'll try to figure it out. Anyway, I live in Seattle where there is no sun most of the time and we have a sky-high rate of scoliosis in this area because of it.

So, I thought, what the heck. I didnt' notice the sleep thing a few years ago, but I am really noticing it now.

I do use the beds that don't tan you as well because they are lower in the dangerous rays. I got into one of the other beds just one time (the ones that are balanced to be like the sun) and it tanned me more than the other beds did for weeks of trying. That one scared me; not sure I'm going to get in that bed again.

Just a thought. If you try it, I highly recommend just going for the health of it, and go lightly so you don't burn. I'm not trying to get dark at all, I just want a little color, and a little vitamin D, and the nice benefit of a great night's sleep when I do go.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #88
Vilya
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 257/257.8/235
WOE: Dr. Fung's IF program, plus LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Hi all! I'm still here and still doing at least two 24-hour fasts per week, but I'm not losing because I'm eating too many carbs when I do eat. I'm working on it. Again.

Wanted to chime in on the diabetes thing, since I have T2. When I was eating super LC, my BG was completely normal, my A1C was in the 4's, and I showed no signs of diabetes. But when I went back to eating carbs, guess what happened? That's right!

My one quibble with Dr. Fung is his use of the term "reversed," because it's not reversed, it's managed. I also don't like the way he downplays the dangers of high blood sugar. I mean, I understand that the BG will go down through fasting and LC, but I think he doesn't stress enough the dangers of sustained high BG. I would think he would, as a motivating factor for fasting.
12/30/15: Had two years of really bad mental health issues, diabetes out of control, gained back all the weight I lost. Starting over at 257...
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:24 AM   #89
Jjsmama
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Just a thought. If you try it, I highly recommend just going for the health of it, and go lightly so you don't burn. I'm not trying to get dark at all, I just want a little color, and a little vitamin D, and the nice benefit of a great night's sleep when I do go.
I do believe there is something to the Vitamin D thing. I hate winter and it made a big difference this winter when I sat outside in the mornings. My mood was better and I felt better in general. It is supposed to help with the circadian rhythm.

I live in South Carolina and blue sky days and brilliant sunshine are plentiful here, so I don't go to a tanning bed. We spent 7 years living in China and with all the pollution, we almost never really saw the sun and lots of people were deficient in Vitamin D (not to mention depressed.) I don't think I will take clean air and clear skies for granted as long as I live.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #90
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
A quick drive by.
Week one: 10 pounds down, blood sugars averaging in the mid 90's
Week two: TOM here - no loss on the scale. Normal sugars. Visible inch loss
Week three started yesterday: Losing again! 1.2 - and visible inch loss. TOM still here but leaving soon

24 hours fasts, OMAD and eating under 20 carbs. Lots of water, sparkle water, watered down coffee ( don't really care for caffeine), homemade broth with pink salt ( 1 cup a day)

Non Scale Victory: Went to the ice cream shop twice in one day and did not have a lick! Tuesdays are cheap days and kiddo is celebrating is birthday week.We took the dog in the day time ( they have dog ice cream) and atnight, a group showed up to enjoy. I had Perrier water

I am aiming to continue this for months.

Well wishes to you all.
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote