Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2016, 09:08 AM   #91
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
I am going to venture into the exercise board and see if I can join a challenge... I just feel that incorporating some exercise with my WOE would get better results health-wise...
If you don't find an existing challenge you want to join, we could start one for exercisers that fast.....or fasters that exercise.... fastersisers... fung-er-cisers.... exerfasters.... something, I don't know.

I mostly run, but recently started a new kettlebell program. I go to the odd spin class, swim occasionally and use some of the weight machines at the gym. Fasting does affect exercise for me. A short run (2-3 miles) after a day of fasting is OK, a long run is not. Swimming anytime but right before I was planning to end a fast anyway is a no-go. I am OK while doing it, swimming makes me hungry afterward. Weights are fine. I did a KB workout yesterday morning on the 2nd day of a 3 day (planned) fast and was OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
A quick drive by.
Week one: 10 pounds down, blood sugars averaging in the mid 90's
Week two: TOM here - no loss on the scale. Normal sugars. Visible inch loss
Week three started yesterday: Losing again! 1.2 - and visible inch loss. TOM still here but leaving soon

24 hours fasts, OMAD and eating under 20 carbs. Lots of water, sparkle water, watered down coffee ( don't really care for caffeine), homemade broth with pink salt ( 1 cup a day)

Non Scale Victory: Went to the ice cream shop twice in one day and did not have a lick! Tuesdays are cheap days and kiddo is celebrating is birthday week.We took the dog in the day time ( they have dog ice cream) and atnight, a group showed up to enjoy. I had Perrier water

I am aiming to continue this for months.

Well wishes to you all.
This is impressive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBaconBurgers View Post
Gina, my goal is to fast two days a week ... well, forever I'm keeping track of my 36-hr fasts, today will be number 13, so I'd love to have a short-term goal of 100!
13/100- nice! I am now at 2/100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjsmama View Post
Is anyone else finding that you need less sleep?
Not me. I am a sleeper. When I used to do JUDDD regularly I had trouble falling asleep on DDs sometimes, but not too often.

About the diabetes discussion..... it looks like the folks with some drastic experience- weight loss surgery, a stroke that stopped eating, long- throat cancer and chemo- these are the ones that is seems like have been "cured" or had their diabetes reversed. While people that have controlled it long term with diet, go back to high BS readings if they don't continue LC.

It seems to me we are talking about two completely different "treatments" - fasting vs low carb eating- and I think that holds with Dr. Fung's position. He says LC is good, but not enough.

The point about WHY you were diabetic in the first place determining whether or not your condition is controlled or reversed makes a lot of sense too.

Me, I am just trying to avoid becoming diabetic so I never have to worry about reverse vs control.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2016, 09:52 AM   #92
ButterBaconBurgers
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 135/123/121
WOE: LCHF + 2 36 hr. fast per week
Start Date: June 4, 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedldy View Post
Now here is my pet peeve......when I read: but what happens if you start eating "normal" again? Will your diabetes still be "reversed"? I immediately think, hmm normal, as in eating all that stuff that caused the damage in the first place? How is that "normal"? Just because a small minority (check the obesity/diabetes stats) can eat all that "normal" stuff, doesn't make it the ideal diet. It's just the norm we have become use to after decades of being lied to about what causes obesity, diabetes, metabolic disorders, hormonal imbalances, neurological disorders, cancers and I presume much more.
When I was a young teenager I ate candy (Now & Laters) for breakfast, a Little Debbie's Star Crunch, ice-cream sandwich, and pint of chocolate milk for lunch, in the afternoon I'd have a snickers bar. (Yes, I was in a somewhat neglected situation, anyway ...) that was my "normal". By the time I was sixteen I was quite chubby in a time when most kids weren't. It's taken a really long time for me to slowly and gradually change my "normal". I am fortunate I don't have diabetes, although my FBG was trending in that direction before LCHF. So, yeah, I think the question of "normal" may be a moving point! I would never want to go back to that young teenager normal, lol. After reading Fung's work, I now understand that at that time I was basically eating a diet that was programmed to raise my insulin levels ... and keep them raised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patlaf View Post
I really enjoy a glass or two of Spanish dry white wine--or on special occasions--Cava.
Pat, I drink wine a few times a month

Scarlet_Belle, good luck in reaching your goal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post

I think the information in this research seems to be nearly identical to what Dr. Fung is saying, from what I have heard/read of him thus far.

Paraphrasing from some of the articles I've read, one of the reasons they did the fasting study (IIRC) is that the doctors believe that the reason people who get gastric bypass reverse their diabetes is because of the liquid fast that they all start out with. They say that the fat in/around the organs is the first to be used for energy in a fast, and that the process of removing the fat seems to restore the organs to their normal function.
Foxtail, that is exactly how I understand it too. IN fact, I listened to one video (I can't remember if it was Fung or not) but the problems with the pancreas is not permanent death of the beta cells. What happens after the liver gets totally clogged with fat is then the pancreas does. That's when things take a turn for a worse. But, yes, my understanding is then that the fasting allows the fat in both the pancreas and the liver to be used and cleared from those organs. That would be the reversal? If that process were "complete"? Fung's point as I understand it, is why get the surgery when you can get the same result by fasting. I am really curious to see what happens as I continue my fasting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Did you see Chris Kresser's FB post? The nitrites/nitrates scare debunked. Eat your bacon, it's actually good for you.
Hehe, Keytones! Thanks for that! Bacon and butter (yes I actually melt some in the bacon grease and "drink" it! Gross, I know, lol!) is my go-to breakfast!

Thanks, Mimosa23! I have also been trying to figure out my protein intake this year. I've been trying to add some LBM. More challenging than I thought. I settled on an in-between number. Not as high as my trainer at the gym was trying to get me to eat, that made me feel awful, but more than I was eating before Jan of this year. I've settled on the lower end of ketogains rec for protein. .8 g per pound of LBM ... or is that total BW? Now I can't remember. I eat between 75 to 105 g of protein on my eating days. Since I've added fasting, I don't worry if it edges up a bit, but I don't like it going down. I felt better when I started eating more protein in Jan.

BTW I do what I call ZC Core. If I want to add to that, I choose LCHF first. If it's social and I want to add to that, it's okay too. But I am trying to reduce what I call my "eating episodes". They're no longer binges but I don't feel good if I veer off too much from the foods that make me feel good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyona View Post
Btw, do you do some special exercises?
Quote:
So how many of you have incorporated exercise into their lives?
I began exercising again last Nov. I had become almost completely sedentary. A four-year-old back pain was flaring up. I did what I said I was never going to do join a gym and work with a trainer. He was trained in PT, so we worked specifically on making my back stronger (which has happened to include my glutes and core.) My back is really strong now and I have no pain. I don't work with a trainer anymore, but I've been consistent with 3 to 4 resistance training workouts since the end of November. A first for me, since I usually do about 3 months and cave. It's also really hard for me to workout when I have eating episodes, another reason to reduce them

Quote:
Is anyone else finding that you need less sleep? I have always loved sleep and been early to bed. Lately, I am becoming s night owl and finding it harder and harder to fall asleep, yet I am waking earlier and feel rested. It is a good thing, but very strange.
Actually, that's where I'm at right now. I'm hoping after my body readjusts without caffeine, things will even out. I'm sleeping less, but still not feeling quite rested. But I think that's different from what you're saying? That your sleeping less AND feeling rested? That is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzio View Post
Thanks for asking this question!!!
You phrased much better than I can.
I am having the same problem of finding more info on set point weight.
I just finished a 5 day fast and I am hoping that the fast will be a starting point ,but, I can't do 5 day fasts after school starts! I'm on 19/5 and I love it!!I really need to lower my set point weight.I understand everyone is different but,I am hoping someone has more info.

Hi Vilya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
A quick drive by.

Non Scale Victory: Went to the ice cream shop twice in one day and did not have a lick!
That is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I think that holds with Dr. Fung's position. He says LC is good, but not enough.
Yes, that is what I understand too. And it was a real shocker to hear that. It's been hard to get my FBG consistently below 90 on LCHF ...

Yay on 2/100!

Yesterday's fast was a bit rougher, not sure why. Maybe still dealing with sugar/caffiene withdrawal, but I felt better later in the day. Now I am ready to eat, lol!

So thankful you all are here! Have a wonderful day
ButterBaconBurgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:28 AM   #93
Foxtail
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Foxtail
Stats: 305/256/249
Start Date: 7/13/16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBaconBurgers View Post
Fung's point as I understand it, is why get the surgery when you can get the same result by fasting. I am really curious to see what happens as I continue my fasting!
Me too! I was watching some of his videos last night. He is really brilliant, and super funny. It's also simultaneously extremely annoying (to say the least) that this info, much of which he says we've known for 100 years, is basically hidden while the doctors/medical/health community keep pushing the "eat less, move more" baloney. Why? I wonder how many of the doctors at his seminars/talks are actually spreading his info about fasting?

Anyway after watching his vids I am more confident than ever about staying on this fast. I believed a lot of myths about fasting as well, all of which he totally debunked. I'm REALLY excited to know I'm actually burning fat store, and that my muscles are fine, and my metabolism isn't going to tank, its gonna go up! So thankful I stumbled on him here.
Foxtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:49 AM   #94
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm hungry. I am drinking my broth, imagining my fat cells saying to one another, "I don't want to open up, do you? Let's see if we can make her eat a sandwich so we are safe." No such luck fat cells.

The exercise talk earlier got me to thinking about something. Dr. Fung says this is what happens when we fast (copied from a blog post from 4/17/15):

The post-absorptive phase – 6-24 hours after beginning fasting. Insulin levels start to fall. Breakdown of glycogen releases glucose for energy. Glycogen stores last for roughly 24 hours.

Gluconeogenesis – 24 hours to 2 days – The liver manufactures new glucose from amino acids in a process called “gluconeogenesis”. Literally, this is translated as “making new glucose”. In non-diabetic persons, glucose levels fall but stay within the normal range.

Ketosis – 2-3 days after beginning fasting – The low levels of insulin reached during fasting stimulate lipolysis, the breakdown of fat for energy. The storage form of fat, known as triglycerides, is broken into the glycerol backbone and three fatty acid chains. Glycerol is used for gluconeogenesis. Fatty acids may be used for directly for energy by many tissues in the body, but not the brain. Ketone bodies, capable of crossing the blood-brain barrier, are produced from fatty acids for use by the brain. After four days of fasting, approximately 75% of the energy used by the brain is provided by ketones. The two major types of ketones produced are beta hydroxybutyrate and acetoacetate, which can increase over 70 fold during fasting.

I underlined the part about how long glycogen lasts. I am wondering if we can move the whole process along by "exercising away" our glycogen stores at the beginning of a fast.

There is both liver and muscle glycogen. They say our liver is about 75% depleted just from an overnight sleep, what if we started out first day of fasting with a muscle-glycogen-depleting workout? Would that give us the benefit of longer fasting more quickly?

Has anyone read or heard anything about this before?
Old 07-20-2016, 01:25 PM   #95
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
If you are already eating a ketogenic, there will be no need of any of this but if not, I would agree with the idea that burning off glycogen with exercise would accelerate that process.

I decide that today I would battle the hunger pangs (yes, still experiencing them), with a very long walk. Left at noon and am just back now at about 4:15. Had a gulp of pickle juice and feel pretty good. I was fine while I was out too. My fitbit says just over 9 km. and I still need to walk my doggie. She says, 'now'!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:54 PM   #96
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/202/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post

Wanted to chime in on the diabetes thing, since I have T2. When I was eating super LC, my BG was completely normal, my A1C was in the 4's, and I showed no signs of diabetes. But when I went back to eating carbs, guess what happened? That's right!

My one quibble with Dr. Fung is his use of the term "reversed," because it's not reversed, it's managed. I also don't like the way he downplays the dangers of high blood sugar. I mean, I understand that the BG will go down through fasting and LC, but I think he doesn't stress enough the dangers of sustained high BG. I would think he would, as a motivating factor for fasting.
That was my experience, too, Vilya, but according to real life examples that have been shared here, and by Dr Fung, it is the weight loss from fasting that results in being able to eat carbs again and still have good blood sugar, not just a low carb diet. To me, that would be considered reversed. I just can't see myself losing the 80 lbs that I'm overweight. But I am willing to accept that something I have never tried or accomplished can do what I really thought couldn't be done. I am eating crow. Is crow low carb? LOL

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #97
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Foxtail, if you think about it, even if doctors did recommend that their patients fasted, how many people would really do it? Eating has become the center of people's lives today. Every social event involves food. Family get togethers. When have you gone to visit a friend that they didn't serve some type of food.

Neither my PCP nor my cardiologist every mention my weight or suggest that I try to lose. My cardiologist recommends exercise, but for my heart health, not for weight loss. I think most doctors feel that overweight patients don't want to hear it.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 07-20-2016, 06:32 PM   #98
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I think doctors probably feel like they are in a lose-lose situation. How many times has someone come back from the doctor ranting about being told to lose weight? "Like I don't already know I'm fat!"

Besides, everyone "knows" how to lose weight. They know what to do, know that it will be hard, they'll have to go hungry, and the weight will most likely come back anyway.

My cousin was facing knee surgery. His doctor told him if he lost 50 lbs he might not need it. His reply? "Well, that ain't going to happen Doc. Schedule the surgery."
Old 07-20-2016, 07:49 PM   #99
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Keto/IF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
There are all kinds of doctors out there. When my blood work came back as the beginnings of pre-diabetes, she wanted to put me on pills without even discussing it with me. At that point, I had already lost 30 lbs and told her I was going to continue LC and see if that would work as well. She wasn't happy about it, but that is what I did. I am no longer pre-diabetic and I no longer see that doctor. Since then I have added IF and feel better than I have in ages.

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:01 PM   #100
janetaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janetaz
Stats: 198/189/135 restart 208.5/189/155
WOE: JUDDD/Fung Protocol
Stopping by to check in, so many cool topics!!! I even read the thread on my phone during my break at work.

Not sure when to start, so I guess a few comments in general. I have been making myself 32oz of fasting "lemonade". It's just fresh lemon juice (1/2 a lemon) with pink himalayan salt (Trader Joe's has a grinder that has a reasonable price), then I just drink regular water throughout the day. I also drink coffee with Trader Joe's coconut creamer, very, very low sugar and calories, just to not drink the coffee black.

I am looking at the carton right now: 5 calories, 1 carb gram, 1 sugar gram per 1 TBSP serving. **If you like your coffee sweet, this might not work at all. I try not to seek out sweet tastes because, for me, WOW! It's ON! I occasionally will have a sweet thing, but I try to keep it with fruit in season (mmm, cherries right now!!) or really, really dark chocolate.

I hit the lowest in awhile at 190.6 but then there was the bounce up to 193 (Oh, TOM there you are....) and I didn't just break the fast, I shattered it!!! Haha!! Eating and snacking all day long, the very thing that I was trying to stay away from. For me, it seems that I will need to concentrate on OMAD when I break the fasting time.

I have noticed too, that if I eat the OMAD meal in a CAD style that helps. CAD being the Carbohydrate Addict Diet, the original format, to eat your Reward Meal (with carbs) within one hour. I can't recall, but I think there was some advantage to releasing insulin in that way too. Maybe it's psychological? Not sure, but if I know I am going to have a higher carb meal, it seems to help. Hope that tip can help someone.

I have been trying to do a JUDDD rotation with a Fung Fasting Focus, DDs with zero calorie (or yeah, about 50 calories with coffee, lemon juice, and coconut creamer) and then go to the UD with OMAD with plenty of calories the next day. I will also try to mix it up with a couple of UDs with two meals within an 8 hour period to still have 16 hours to fast. This is a loose plan that I have been thinking about.

Oh, yes, Jjsmama, I am on the other side of the country, so unless our libraries are sharing one edition of Dr. Fung's book, hope we both get the reserved books soon!!

I have been considering Keytones suggestion of a tiny bit of cheese on fasting days, might look into that.

My aunt is diabetic, but my Mom, her sister is not. Their eating habits are completely different in one aspect. My Mom is about eating meals and not snacking. My aunt on the other hand, keeps away from most sugar products, eating a ton of sugar free stuff, but is eating all day long. Both her and her husband are retired and it's a bit of a hobby for them. Curious if she would fast even on a 16/8 basis if that would help her. It might be a long road to try to have her attempt this, she won't even keep a protein bar or trail mix, a small portable snack in her purse right now if she needs it.

Oh my goodness! I was just stopping in to say hi and I just keep going!!! Thanks for reading!!
janetaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:57 PM   #101
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/246/ 5/10"
Start Date: LC 2004, gastric sleeve 9/15
I decided to double up on the avocado in my salad, which I ate around 3:30 since I had a visitor at lunch. I have had no desire to eat since!!

Lots of romaine
Whole avocado
Couple of heaping tablespoons of blue cheese
Couple of heaping tablespoons of bacon (yay)
Skipped the feta cheese today
Shredded carrots
Cucumber slices
Lots of balsamic vinegar. Lots.

No snacks at all today. No breakfast or dinner.

I'm going to eat the cheese anyway tonight. I'm just superstitious about the whole thing now. I'm afraid to change it too much.

"Obesity is a hypothalamic/hormonal issue. Using calorie-based weapons to fight a hormonal issue is like bringing a snorkel to a bicycle race." --Jason Fung

Last edited by Key Tones; 07-20-2016 at 10:10 PM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:09 PM   #102
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/246/ 5/10"
Start Date: LC 2004, gastric sleeve 9/15
Speaking of hunger, man I was hungry yesterday. I mean, it just hit me. So, WTH, i just decided to eat up.

I feel I'm ready to take another good hard swing at this Fung fasting. I feel the next 20 pounds are probably going to be harder to get off. But I'm ready!!!

Winding up my arm...woot!!!!

Heh heh...I love this Fung Fasting!!!!

"Obesity is a hypothalamic/hormonal issue. Using calorie-based weapons to fight a hormonal issue is like bringing a snorkel to a bicycle race." --Jason Fung
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:15 AM   #103
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 228/177/150
WOE: LCHF/IF
Start Date: IF/LCHF start: June 2016
I am fasting today. Will go for a 36 or 42 hour fast, depending on how I get on. Had a proper meal last night, and still dropped half a pound. This stuff is amazing!

If all goes well, I will break my fast after 42 hours, so lunchtime tomorrow.

xxx

female, 41 y/o, 5'10"
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:02 AM   #104
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Janetaz, I can really relate to your mother and aunt. I used to eat like your mother. Somewhere along the line I got into the habit of eating like your aunt...snacks all day long. This is what led to my weight gain and diabetes. I had it in my mind that as long as my snack was low carb I was OK. Now I am working toward eliminating the snacking, and going longer between eating, hoping to work up to fasting longer than 16 hours at a time, which is about what I've been doing. My weight is going down for the first time since 2011. Reading that, I am appalled that I've spent that long spinning my wheels.

I went out and bought some cheese, thinking it would help, but now I remember why I stopped buying it. 1) I can't stop eating it and 2) it bothers my hiatal hernia. So I have to do away with it again, unfortunately.

Gina, I think there are some people who just want the doctor to give them a pill to fix what's wrong, and that's what doctors do best. It's really a lot easier to take a pill than to lose 50 lbs but not always the best choice.

JayLynn, good for you for insisting on giving dietary changes a try before meds. I don't think doctors are used to having patients want to do that. When I was diagnosed, I was in the hospital waking up from open heart surgery. I was full blown diabetic by then. At my next visit with my PCP I asked him how I could become diabetic just like that, and he replied "You were getting up there." So I was probably getting pre-diabetic readings and he was just watching it, rather than giving me a heads up. I don't know if I would have done anything about it then, anyway.

Dr Jason Fung

Last edited by PACarolsue; 07-21-2016 at 04:12 AM..
Old 07-21-2016, 04:56 AM   #105
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: LC/IF/JUDDD
Start Date: Which time?
Quote:
Speaking of 24 hour vs 36 hour fast: One thing i cannot find the answer to though: although 24 hour may help lower insulin and weight loss, is it enough to lower the set point weight? In the book, he details the body's responses to a fast by the number of hours, and at 24 hours , the good stuff is really just beginning to happen, but he suggests that dinner to dinner fasts nonetheless have merit.

He spends a lot of time telling that the set point is one of the biggest issues but i can't find any info on how many/ fasting duration it will take to start lowering the set point? Has anyone seen that info? I can go back to 36 hour fasts is that is what it takes to make a difference, but dinner to dinner fits so much better into my role as mother.

Afte all this reading, and after Fast 5 and JUDDD leading to NO losses ( and massive water retention) this year, i really am beginning to think that I have stubborn insulin resistance and would like to do what I can to really change it.
Jennifer, I'm wondering this, too, although I'm only a couple chapters into the book. I think my body set point is such an issue for me as to why I've found it difficult to lose weight most of my adult life. Because Lord knows I've tried just about everything! Fast 5 did nothing, and JUDDD was my best success although it was minimal until I had a hysterectomy.

I'm into my second week of 16/8 (weekends off schedule) and have pushed it to 18/6. I weigh tomorrow instead of Saturday to see if weight has gone down again.

Maybe this fasting in itself is what's supposed to help get our set points down?

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:13 AM   #106
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

Just wanting to mention a personal little fasting victory:

My assistant is leaving the company for 2 years on maternity leave (before you wonder, yes, this is possible in Germany!) and so she decided to buy us lunch. She knows about my fasting, so I didn't eat. Well, it was totally fine, I sat there whilst my colleagues were devouring pizzas and other carby italian goodness, and I had a cup of green tea and. felt. fine.

Amazing, I can't believe how calm and generally ok I feel! They were really eating my one and only major trigger food and I was fine!

Ok, rant/shout/celebration over!

xx

female, 41 y/o, 5'10"
Old 07-21-2016, 06:38 AM   #107
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Jason Fung responds to NuSI/Hall study at his blog - Intensive Dietary Management.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
We are butter together!
Old 07-21-2016, 06:50 AM   #108
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Vanilla, that's how I understand it. The fasting brings your setpoint down, once your setpoint is down you can lose (and keep off) the fat.

Mimosa, that is wonderful. Watching people eat pizza is quite a feat.

I ended my fast last night after 72 hours. At about hour 68 I started feeling weird- physically OK, but restless, couldn't concentrate, and HUNGRY. I was at work, which is out in the country and no where near food, and I wasn't ready to call it just yet completely, so I found some dill pickles in the break room refrigerator and had a couple. When I got home I had dinner.

I didn't weigh the day I started, but it looks like probably 1.5 lbs down. That weight includes dinner last night, so I am hoping I don't bounce back up. I really hope some good stuff is going on in my cells that I can't see, cause that was a lot of work for maybe a pound and a half.

I am having company and a race this weekend, and leave for vacation Wednesday. I'll try to get a couple of 36 hour fasts in before I go- maybe Friday and Monday.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:55 AM   #109
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Jason Fung responds to NuSI/Hall study at his blog - Intensive Dietary Management.
Yes, I just finished the post, thanks for letting us know!

I found dr Fung's response very clear. I wonder what NuSI will do about the whole debacle now that it's out there...

female, 41 y/o, 5'10"
Old 07-21-2016, 06:57 AM   #110
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

Gina, well done!!!!! I actually found I lost more weight in the days after the fast...

female, 41 y/o, 5'10"
Old 07-21-2016, 07:51 AM   #111
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Vanilla, that's how I understand it. The fasting brings your setpoint down, once your setpoint is down you can lose (and keep off) the fat.

I ended my fast last night after 72 hours. At about hour 68 I started feeling weird- physically OK, but restless, couldn't concentrate, and HUNGRY. I was at work, which is out in the country and no where near food, and I wasn't ready to call it just yet completely, so I found some dill pickles in the break room refrigerator and had a couple. When I got home I had dinner.

I didn't weigh the day I started, but it looks like probably 1.5 lbs down. That weight includes dinner last night, so I am hoping I don't bounce back up. I really hope some good stuff is going on in my cells that I can't see, cause that was a lot of work for maybe a pound and a half.

I am having company and a race this weekend, and leave for vacation Wednesday. I'll try to get a couple of 36 hour fasts in before I go- maybe Friday and Monday.
That is great Gina! I would think you won't bounce up as you have food in your system now. Great work!!

Quote:
Yes, I just finished the post, thanks for letting us know!

I found dr Fung's response very clear. I wonder what NuSI will do about the whole debacle now that it's out there...
Yes, I liked his response too. What he didn't mention was that it was a pilot study and thus the small numbers and a few other factors. So I am hoping that the bigger study will be done by someone else who can decipher their own data.

Kevin Hall doesn't need $5 to get a clue - he needs some ketones to think better. Although I did like the 'get a clue' part.

We are butter together!
Old 07-21-2016, 07:56 AM   #112
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Gina, well done!!!!! I actually found I lost more weight in the days after the fast...
I sure hope you are right.

I woke up hungry, so I decided to eat three meals today and keep them LC and nutritious so I would be fully fueled to do a 36 hour fast tomorrow. I scrambled up a two eggs with a little sausage and cheese. I could barely finish half.

The dog is eyeing my bowl, but she is on an elimination diet so we can figure out where her gas is coming from, so she is off eggs. I can see in her eyes she is wondering why I am betraying her.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:00 AM   #113
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Poor doggie. I put my diarrhea ridden pooch on a 100% raw diet about 2 yrs. ago and over time, she has not only resolved that issue but a few others that were chronic. I was also feeding her bone broth (made just for her) for a time too. She doesn't need it anymore but sometimes, I share a wee bit just as a treat. Hope your dog is back to good health before long.

We are butter together!
Old 07-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #114
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I read Dr. Fung's blog post this morning too. I only know the basics about academic research, but shouldn't have the peer-review process caught the inconsistancies in the data? That's the whole point of peer review. Maybe they let it go because it was a pilot study.

I also noticed it was published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Wouldn't it be better placed in an endocrinology journal? Maybe they have higher standards.

In my job I use charts and graphs to convince people of things all the time, and I am pretty good at it. It is really very easy to make people see what they want to see, and not that much harder to make them see what they don't.

Now *I* am honest and would never put my own ego over people's health (or children's education which is my field), but not everyone is. People get ideas stuck in their head and they will elevate research that shows what they want, and disregard anything that contradicts their belief, even when it completely flies in the face of common sense.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #115
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Poor doggie. I put my diarrhea ridden pooch on a 100% raw diet about 2 yrs. ago and over time, she has not only resolved that issue but a few others that were chronic. I was also feeding her bone broth (made just for her) for a time too. She doesn't need it anymore but sometimes, I share a wee bit just as a treat. Hope your dog is back to good health before long.
Thank you, but she feels fine and is happy as a clam. We are the ones suffering.

She's on a pretty high quality dog food and is fine when that's all she eats. It is something in the "people food" that always seems to find its way to her that is causing issues.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:23 AM   #116
nunzio
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nunzio
Stats: 300/260/223
WOE: LCHF.....IF
Start Date: 07-07-2016
Quote:

Congrats on finishing the 72 hour Fast !!!!!
nunzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #117
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Congrats on finishing the 72 hour Fast !!!!!
Thank you. I've been meaning to ask, are you a teacher?
Old 07-21-2016, 08:32 AM   #118
nunzio
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nunzio
Stats: 300/260/223
WOE: LCHF.....IF
Start Date: 07-07-2016
Quote:
Thank you. I've been meaning to ask, are you a teacher?
NO....I'm a school bus driver.I have kids on my bus from 4 YO to 18 YO..I love it !!! I'm retired ,except for the school bus driving
nunzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:38 AM   #119
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

This was mentioned in the earlier thread, but somehow I missed it at the time.

Bert Herring (the author of The Fast Five Diet book and plan) has a blog and in his post from 5/18/16 he has a chart that shows eating windows from 10 hours per day to one hour per day and how many "low insulin" hours that gives you per day and month. He calculates the hours into days and the chart shows how many full days per month and year that each window is equivelent to.

For example, a 5 hour daily eating window (his recommendation) gives you 16 low insulin hours per day (he subtracts digestion time, assuming a meal at the end of the window) or 480 hours per month. That translates to 20 fasting days per month, or 240 per year.

I'm not sure I explained that very well, but the chart makes it clear.

I don't know if you can really equate the hours at the beginning of a fast to those several days in because different things are going on inside, but it is an interesting way to look at it from a strictly insulin-lowering perspective.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:39 AM   #120
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
NO....I'm a school bus driver.I have kids on my bus from 4 YO to 18 YO..I love it !!! I'm retired ,except for the school bus driving
My hat is off to you. That is one difficult and important job.