Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 07-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #181
Partyof8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Partyof8
Stats: 348/231/170
WOE: Low Carb, Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: Began journey March '14 Break '15 restart: Jan '16
Hello All -
Today I decided to try something new because yesterday when I finally ate - it was like the floodgates opened.
Appetite suppression is hit or miss some days.

Today while making the kids their pancakes, I took 3 TB of chia seeds - soaked in water for 5 minutes..and then downed them as best as I could.
I'm not opposed to eating a hard boiled egg if lunch time proves hard.
I keep eating lunch and dinner because I get so full so quick at lunch time, but its not enough to keep me fine until bed time.

Lets hope this works!

Restart after baby: 285 on 1/18/16 - lost 54 pounds since!
117 pounds total
Today, I will just do my very best.
Partyof8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2016, 10:25 AM   #182
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: LC/IF/JUDDD
Start Date: Which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwerp View Post
For people who have experience with thyroid issues, how did you find out? I ask because I've been feeling a lump in my throat when I swallow, though sometimes I can feel it without swallowing. The GP felt my neck, and zeroed in on the lump without me saying where it was. He said it felt like a solid mass, and it was located in my thyroid.

I have a 2 week wait to see an ENT, so I'm worried. They ran a TSH blood test (among others) on Thursday, so hopefully I can find out that number this week when I phone them back. I hate waiting on the ENT appointment, but I don't have much of a choice.
Kwerp - I finally asked for a full panel TSH/T3/T4 after years of being told my TSH was "normal". I'm a bit confused by a new endo I'm going to who only looks at TSH numbers, but that's another post!

I had an ultrasound done recently as he'd felt a nodule on mine, but it turned out to be nothing. However, I'd not had the lump issue. I'm sorry I have nothing to offer than prayers that everything will be okay. Try not to worry unless it ends up being something to worry about. I know...easy for me to say.

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:28 AM   #183
Partyof8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kwerp - I was going to add that I am sending good thoughts and prayers to you today.

117 pounds total
Old 07-25-2016, 10:43 AM   #184
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Happy Monday Fungsters

Thanks for all the well wishes on my last fast. So far the scale is holding at the lower number. Fingers crossed. I hope to see some inches lost in the near future. It's so nice to be losing again. I don't have any set routine, just fasting when it feels right. So far so good.

Kwerp, I'm so sorry you have to wait so long for tests. I can only imagine how stressful that must be. I hope it turns out to be nothing. Sending healing juju your way.

Gina, how did the race and weekend go?

So nice to see all the posts. Wishing everyone a fastastic week.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #185
kwerp
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 153/136/124
Thanks everyone for the well wishes on the lump. I got a call from my Dr.
TSH was 1.1, but upon further reading, I see that I really need a T3 and T4 in addition to that to really know anything.

I now have to wait 2 weeks for my ENT appointment. At least I have a valid reason not to eat at work - eating is kinda annoying right now.

So far today I've made it with 3 coffees + almond milk, sparkling water, and two pieces of chewing gum. Going to finish the laundry, exercise, then shower before having my dinner tonight, so I'll probably make it to 8.30pm. I had something to eat at 11pm last night, so that will make it a 21.5 hr fast.

I really wish we could get our own sub-forum folder. That way we could make topics for exercise and weigh-ins.
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:18 PM   #186
smallerizing
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: smallerizing
Stats: 193/150/140
WOE: Low Carb Diabetes control
Start Date: 3-31-16
Thank you for starting this thread!

I found out in March that I am diabetic, while I was out of the country visiting grandchildren for three weeks! From 194 lbs, I've dropped to 165 by following an "eat to your meter" approach, which is of course low-carb. I got my glucose meter in mid-April, and now that I know that eating cheese and vegetables will keep the blood sugar steady, I am experimenting with other foods and finding a lot of surprises. I came across quite a few references to Dr. Fung's work and theories, and it seemed to make sense. More sense than the stupid advice from the American Diabetic Association peeps!

The quickie link to the simple breakdown of the WOE is very helpful!
Thank you for posting it. I'll get started as soon as I can read up just a smidgen more. I'm a little concerned about low blood sugar with fasting. I had a Laughing Cow wedge for breakfast with my coffee and cream, but by 2:00 my sugar was 66. Fasting is worth a try, though! And 66 might not be as dangerous as people make it out to be.

I did have some success with IF, and the Fung approach sounds similar and for the same reasons. I'd like to get the anti-inflammatory benefits as well.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:18 PM   #187
Partyof8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good for you Cathy & Kwerp!
<3
made it through lunch time - made fried bologna & cheese grilled sandwiches.
Took every ounce of morale to not eat.

drinking coffee, going to get 24 oz more water in..
hoping to make it to dinner..I told myself I can have a taco if I stay good. lol

117 pounds total
Old 07-25-2016, 02:57 PM   #188
Jjsmama
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jjsmama
Stats: 164/158/138
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 13, 2015 (JUDDD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwerp View Post
Hi!
After a bad bout of depression/ over-eating, I'm back on the wagon. Yesterday I went 21 hours. Today is a normal day, and then tomorrow I'm back to fasting. The last food I'm having today is 6pm, so I'm hoping for a solid 24 hour fast.

For people who have experience with thyroid issues, how did you find out?
I ask because I've been feeling a lump in my throat when I swallow, though sometimes I can feel it without swallowing. The GP felt my neck, and zeroed in on the lump without me saying where it was. He said it felt like a solid mass, and it was located in my thyroid.
I have a 2 week wait to see an ENT, so I'm worried. They ran a TSH blood test (among others) on Thursday, so hopefully I can find out that number this week when I phone them back. I hate waiting on the ENT appointment, but I don't have much of a choice.
Prayers for you that the depression recedes and the thyroid is ok. Actually, isn't low thyroid cause depression? Don't be too hard on yourself diet wise until it all gets figured out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBaconBurgers View Post
Oops! Got ahead of myself, it's my 14th 36-hour fast!
Way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
There is a book on Amazon called The No Breakfast Plan/Fasting Cure (or something very close) on Amazon that was written in 1900 about treating illness and maintaining health with fasting. It is free for Kindle.
I will check it out. I enjoy reading about the theories but also the medical practices of years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetaz View Post
I just say to myself that I will wait until my meal to eat the snack type foods. For example today, I just wanted to eat a bunch of crunchy stuff. I waited until my OMAD, had fresh cut vegetables and parsnip chips (from Trader Joe's) with dip with my meal. Ate low carb crab cakes and salad with it. I thought I was going to eat all the chips and vegetables that I cut up. I ate about 20% of what I thought I was going to snack on. When my meal was done, I was done. Could it be psychological or insulin control or both? Not sure, but excited to keep figuring it out! This is what is helping me to be successful!
I am experiencing the same thing. I cannot eat nearly what I plan to eat. The only negative is that is causes me to worry that I am getting snout nutrition...? Today when I broke my fasts, I had two chicken tenders and made a cabbage salad (like coleslaw but with some tzaziki for LC.) I really could only eat a few bites and I was stuffed. So, that is probably all I will eat all day (Yea!) BUT it is also the only vegetable I have had Should we worry about that?

Wife to 1+ Mom to 3= 4 Fabulous Fellows
Jjsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:11 PM   #189
Jjsmama
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jjsmama
Stats: 164/158/138
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 13, 2015 (JUDDD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanever View Post
I've been experimenting with fasting...started doing it, loved it, and then "rebelled" against it. Mental things, I guess. Trying to come to terms with the restriction. Anyway, I'm back to trying it again.
The psychological side of dieting is very real for me too. I have to remind myself that I am choosing to restrict myself. I eat mostly LC, but not perfectly because I have better success when I am not judging myself too harshly.
I did find that using the eating window and shortening that window was a great way to get into the better fasts. I did a month of Fast 5 with coffee with hwc outside of my window. I didn't lose any weight, but I did not feel restricted and was not hungry at all.
That led easily to OMAD (or 2-3 hours) again with the coffee with cream. Still was not binge eating during the eating hours.
With Fung, the things I changed were going to LCHF, which actually made the cravings much less AND I made sure to have nothing which would spike the insulin during the 23 hours or so. That was when I started losing. AND if I do well on a 24 fast, I don't beat myself up if I eat a little more the next day (which helps psychologically.) The reality is though that even when I plan to eat 'normally', I can't eat 3 meals a day anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
Anyone want to join me in a Fung daily movement thread?
I will join you. Do we have a thread for that? I have been working out with one of my sons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post

Foxtail, I think people who have been overweight for a while are that way because they love to eat. So anyone suggesting that they go for a long period of time without eating is going to be public enemy #1. LOL Those of us who have already tried everything else and it didn't work are more willing to try something new.
I agree. I am definitely learning not to talk about fasting. I would just rather not have to defend it -- even if you were just trying to be helpful.

Wife to 1+ Mom to 3= 4 Fabulous Fellows
Jjsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:53 PM   #190
Partyof8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ate a taco, then some crackers with pb & condensed milk mixture in the middle..Then a sf cup of fancy coffee, and then 3 fruit slice candies.
Ok, so not a great day diet wise...but I made it to 4pm before breaking.
Try tomorrow!

117 pounds total
Old 07-26-2016, 12:17 AM   #191
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 228/177/150
WOE: LCHF/IF
Start Date: IF/LCHF start: June 2016
Hi All!

Kwerp, sending some positive thoughts your way!

Jjsmama, I will start one on the exercise boards, give me a minute and I will post the link here!

Partyof8, well done today!!!!! You made it till 4PM! Excellent.

Smallerizing, welcome to our Fung Fasting thread!!!

grneyedldy, great news on the numbers holding, fasting is truly magical!

PACarolSue, Clackley, Key Tones, Vilya, Stevie Renee, Foxtail, Janetaz, betterthanever, Clicketwench, GME, ButterBaconBurgers, and everyone else I have not included: HI!!!!

I can only come in and rave about LCHF with IF... Going on 38 hours of my 42 hour fast and feeling good! I seem to drop about a pound a week now, with some lower numbers and higher numbers during my weigh ins, but it averages out to be one pound of fat per week! This is amazing. So consistent, and not one moment of feeling unwell or deprived in any way! I. AM. A. CONVERT!

Once I get to goal I will bore you all to death with my pictures, LOL! (As I see it now, sometime in December I should be there; about 27 lbs till I am calling it I think)

Have a great day to all of you fasting or feasting today!

xxx

female, 41 y/o, 5'10"
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:24 AM   #192
Vilya
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 257/257.8/235
WOE: Dr. Fung's IF program, plus LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
I made my 36 hours!! It's been a while since I've done one of these, and it feels great! I am not hungry at all right now, but since I'm going out for dinner tonight, I will probably have at least some eggs this morning, and then skip lunch. I don't want to break my fast with a restaurant meal, that's just asking for trouble.
12/30/15: Had two years of really bad mental health issues, diabetes out of control, gained back all the weight I lost. Starting over at 257...
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:33 AM   #193
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

Vilya, that is great!

I get you on the restaurant meals!

I just broke my 42 hour fast with lunch and had a salad (with chicken, egg, nuts, feta, etc etc!) from this really great salad bar takeaway place. You can put together your own salad and they post their nutritional values on their website too. I have this app where I can order in advance and then they text me when my food is ready. Great service, and not one wilted salad leaf was ever found in any of my salads from there!

female, 41 y/o, 5'10"
Old 07-26-2016, 08:42 AM   #194
ButterBaconBurgers
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 135/123/121
WOE: LCHF + 2 36 hr. fast per week
Start Date: June 4, 2016
Yay, for all the successful fasts!

Clicketwench, thanks! Butter, bacon & burgers are my staples

On my 15th 36-day hour fast today .... and 15th day of no sugar, fruit, or sweeteners!!!! (funny how all my cravings have gone away! but that was the point of experimenting with this.)

My first 36-hour fasts included yerba mate with stevia. Now I'm drinking herbal teas (with a careful check of ingredients, i.e. no natural flavors, etc.) and water. I'm also off caffeine for 15 days. I am still not 100% but gosh, I'm just really starting to "feel better" and my skin looks amazing

So ... motivation to keep going with ... the 100 36-hour fast challenge, and refraining from the taste of sweet and caffeine.

We're going to meet my SIL and her boy friend in Seattle in a couple weeks. I can't wait to see her, but that will be a challenge ... since Seattle is like the coffee capital of the world, lol.
ButterBaconBurgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #195
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallerizing View Post
Thank you for starting this thread!

I found out in March that I am diabetic, while I was out of the country visiting grandchildren for three weeks! From 194 lbs, I've dropped to 165 by following an "eat to your meter" approach, which is of course low-carb. I got my glucose meter in mid-April, and now that I know that eating cheese and vegetables will keep the blood sugar steady, I am experimenting with other foods and finding a lot of surprises. I came across quite a few references to Dr. Fung's work and theories, and it seemed to make sense. More sense than the stupid advice from the American Diabetic Association peeps!

The quickie link to the simple breakdown of the WOE is very helpful!
Thank you for posting it. I'll get started as soon as I can read up just a smidgen more. I'm a little concerned about low blood sugar with fasting. I had a Laughing Cow wedge for breakfast with my coffee and cream, but by 2:00 my sugar was 66. Fasting is worth a try, though! And 66 might not be as dangerous as people make it out to be.

I did have some success with IF, and the Fung approach sounds similar and for the same reasons. I'd like to get the anti-inflammatory benefits as well.
66. Interesting! I have read some comments that yes, you are correct that it may not be dangerous. Well keep an eye out and research is all we can do. And I am 100% with you on anti inflammatory.I have osteoarthritis and I hurt some days so this is helping a lot.

Well I woke up to a huge surprise of a whoosh. I am now down 16 pounds, just started week 4 today. Kinda bummed I have date night planned and traveling! But we must live. I am having no snacks, only meat and champagne so maybe it won't be that bad. I do not know how much more I have to lose but I started as a size 12 average in pants and my goal is to be an average 10, no vanity sizing. lol - I plan on incorporating this lifestyle forever. lol - who knows where my body will be at by January!
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #196
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Good job everyone....great posts today
Old 07-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #197
Partyof8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Butter, yes - it will be hard in Seattle to not enjoy coffee! You can do it if you desire. Well done!

So impressed with the 36 hour + fasts, you guys!
I'm going to do the chia seed trick again, and drink broth/coffee/water today.
If I make it to dinner, wonderful..If I can go even longer that would be better!

117 pounds total
Old 07-26-2016, 11:03 AM   #198
Vilya
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 257/257.8/235
WOE: Dr. Fung's IF program, plus LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Broke my 42-hour fast with a chicken caesar salad, hold the croutons. I felt vaguely sick about 3/4 of the way through, and it was not a giant salad. Next time I do a long fast, I'm going to break it with eggs or a piece of cheese or something!
12/30/15: Had two years of really bad mental health issues, diabetes out of control, gained back all the weight I lost. Starting over at 257...
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #199
Partyof8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, 42 hours!!! Way to go!!!

Just ate some chia seed gel, drinking about 18 oz of water with it.
Was 247 today on the scale, so repeating yesterday's experiment....

117 pounds total
Old 07-26-2016, 11:32 PM   #200
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

Vilya, well done on the 42 hour fast!!!!

Partyof8, great number on the scales, hope today goes well for you!

I have been mentioning that I'd post something in the exercise board regarding exercise and fasting, and finally got round to doing so, so here's the link to the new exercise thread... Come join me!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...3#post17497803

xxx

female, 41 y/o, 5'10"
Old 07-27-2016, 04:25 AM   #201
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/110/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieNell View Post
Slowsure- I had TKR on both knees three years apart. I hadn't done any fasting before the first surgery. I had the second one after I had been doing Juddd and other versions of IF for most of the time between surgeries. I healed much quicker, had less swelling and bruising after the second surgery. I definitely think that fasting somehow made the difference.
Now, isn't that interesting that we both had a similar experience of fasting and recovering well from knee surgery!

I don't know how people would feel about fasting before and after surgery and much would depend on any other conditions that they have. I found it straightforward but then I developed the fasting habit in childhood so it's probably different for me.

On balance tho', if I were ever to need surgery again, I'd probably fast in preparation and afterwards. If anything went away or I didn't feel OK, of course I'd eat - but it does feel like this was very helpful.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:28 AM   #202
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

I was going to put this in with the above comment but it got too long.

There are so many useful individual reports from people that say something similar about fasting being an adjunct to a good recovery from surgery - and so many reports from people who are fasting through their chemotherapy and finding that smaller dosages are effective for them and that they have far fewer side-effects and that they can have a full course without needing to take a break.

I must admit, I see all of these individual reports about people being keto during cancer treatment and using that as a fasting mimetic - it will be fascinating if there are ever enough reports to justify a series of case reports or a trial.

It would be so difficult to wholeheartedly recommend fasting to people who might already have muscle wasting from cancer-related cachexia. But fasting might be an option for those who find that they can't mange keto or full bore low carb.

Even 'time-restricted feeding' without other dietary modification seems to be helpful for some people with an interest in cancer prevention. There's a good podcast with Ruth Patterson and Rhonda Patrick on this topic:
Time-Restricted Eating in Humans & Breast Cancer Prevention‬
Rhonda Patrick has another good podcast on Time Restricted Feeding with Dr Satchin Panda but it's very technical in spots:
Time-Restricted Feeding and Its Effects on Obesity, Muscle Mass & Heart Health
Old 07-27-2016, 05:42 AM   #203
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Slow Sure, there is much interest in this particular field of cancer and keto. I recently read a fascinating book called 'tripping over the truth' by Travis Cristofferson. I highly recommend it.

Thomas Seyfried also published a book 'cancer as a metabolic disease' which is more a text book but was explained in lay terms by Dr. Ede in her blog 'diagnosis diet'. Also well worth the read.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:49 AM   #204
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

SlowSure and Clackley, I am a subscriber to a German LCHF magazine, which comes out quarterly, and there are always several articles on Cancer and Keto... Very interesting and most of it very positive! I would guess adding IF to the mix can certainly be a good thing.

female, 41 y/o, 5'10"
Old 07-27-2016, 08:27 AM   #205
Foxtail
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Foxtail
Stats: 305/256/249
Start Date: 7/13/16
Hope everyone is having a great week!

I have a question for you Fung pros. My hubs is struggling on the IF. Can anyone tell me, about how many carbs per day are allowed for men? Also how much can he expect to lose per week? He's 6' and about 200 lbs. Any recommendations for any kind of snack during the fasting part? He seems to get headaches from not eating.
Foxtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #206
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post

I have a question for you Fung pros. My hubs is struggling on the IF. Can anyone tell me, about how many carbs per day are allowed for men? Also how much can he expect to lose per week? He's 6' and about 200 lbs. Any recommendations for any kind of snack during the fasting part? He seems to get headaches from not eating.
Some do cheese, pickle juice, home made broth, coffee, tea, water - I think 600 calories for men during the fasting. And as far as carbs go, I think the majority do 20ish....but he may be able to do more. Hopefully someone can pipe in.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:05 AM   #207
BirdieNell
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BirdieNell
Stats: 155/133/120
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: December 2011
Cathy, I read Tripping Over the Truth a while back and found it quite interesting. Decided that if I ever had a cancer diagnosis I would use fasting as one of my tools to fight it. I have wondered if fasting might not be a way to avoid cancer. The break from digesting food is supposed to give our bodies time to work on healing, clearing out damaged cells, etc. Who knows?
Old 07-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #208
Partyof8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you ladies <3
I was down another pound on the scale and let me tell you - during my omad I ate like a piglet!

I knew I was going to cheat because the hunger was so hard yesterday, it was the "OK, this is real hunger.." not the waves that come and go.
So I did eat 3 HB eggs until that went away and made it until dinner time. Ate well, even dessert..
Woke up 1 pound down.

Repeating today:
Chia seed mixture here in about an hour before I make the family their lunch
HB egg if I get to feeling like I may cheat (hunger does not pass)
and a delicious dinner for my omad.

Not quite Fung fasting, but I'm getting there again and loving the journey. So happy to be seeing results on my body and scale.
Fasting definitely helps reshape the tummy area. I am amazed.

Has any one ever tried a colon cleanse?

117 pounds total
Old 07-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #209
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgwwilson
Stats: Highest weight 224. 208/150/124 Ht. 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb with IF (16/8), Extended Fasting
Start Date: May 16, 2016
Quote:

What kind of IF is he trying?

Jason Fung's protocol doesn't restrict all carbs, per se, but rather restricts any and all processed foods. So, a moderate to liberal low carb plan fits well within his recommendations as long as the carbs are from unproccesed foods.

Just some random ideas:

Some type of fat in coffee or tea (cream, butter, coconut oil, etc.) makes it much easier for a lot of people to stay in the "fasting" state.

First thing to look at for headaches is whether or not he's getting enough salt, as low sodium levels can definately cause that. (This is where a lot of people use salty broth or boullion.)

How many carbs per day varies dramatically from person to person, depending on their degree of insulin resistance / carb sensitivity. 20 or less for KETO, 20 - 50 for moderate, 50 - 100 for liberal low carb. Again, the main thing, especially for more liberal low carb diets is to make sure all of the carbs are coming from whole, unprocessed foods.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

Last edited by cgwwilson; 07-27-2016 at 10:40 AM..
cgwwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:42 AM   #210
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Fung typically recommends that fasting should involve zero calorie intake - so, no food, and just zero calorie liquids.

As a realist, Fung says that if people can't fast without something, then if drinking broth, or taking a little cream in coffee helps people to abstain from eating, then it's worth doing.

Just because your DH need something for a while doesn't mean that he'll always need it so it's very helpful that you're looking for something to help him out.

My husband has been following JUDDD (alternate day fasting) since 2011 (but with an 4:3 pattern). He always ate up to 500 calories on his fast days, usually less.

However, 4 weeks ago, DH completed a Longo 5 day Fast Mimicking Diet and that finally convinced him that he can have several days of a low calorie intake and still feel OK.

Emboldened by that, DH took the decision that he would have zero calorie 24 hours fast, going from breakfast to breakfast. He felt fine with that and then startled me by naturally deciding to skip breakfast, thereby making his fasts nearer to 36hrs.

It's taken DH years to reach this point - but he didn't have a pressing weight or health issue.

As for how much scale weight your DH might shed and over what timescale - it's too individual to call.

Good Luck to you both!