Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2016, 08:22 PM   #271
julieboolie
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/168.2/158lbs
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Hey girls...just checking in

I've been kind of fasting, kind of just not eating much. I'm thrilled to report I'm finally seeing some progress!! 172.8 today!! I'm feeling much better too. More like my old self. I think the T3 is helping! I'm busy enough that I don't get much to eat most days and I don't really feel too hungry. I know it's not true fasting and likely not a good long term lifestyle...but for a week or so I can do it. Especially if it'll help me relose some of this ridiculous recent gain due to my hashimotos ...

So, hopefully sometime in the next week or so I will be back to the 160's. That would be s nice! It's been far too long stuck up here! Then it'll be a real slug to get back to the 150's. But at least if I can get to the mid 160's my clothes should fit better or at all .

I'm not working out since I don't have child care for the baby at the gym, and she's too young even if I did. I'm doing some moves here with dumbbells and will walk more this week as it's supposed to finally cool off!! Plus, baby Z loves the stroller! I'm finally adjusting a bit more to the schedule and less sleep.

Come check in! Hope you're all doing well!

Daily updates in my journal.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...7#post17405637
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2016, 05:06 AM   #272
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Julie-

I have Hashimoto's too, and the sad thing is that the weight gain from low T3 has to come off the same as any body fat--i.e., it's not just water weight. But the good news is that when you are getting T3 hormone support, it's at least possible to lose!

I also think that your 'lack' of lifting may help because strenuous exercise can stress the thyroid too much. Keep in mind that walking is considered one of the best exercises, so you and the baby will do fine!
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:27 AM   #273
julieboolie
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Leo! I've read other posts of yours and am always encouraged!! I'm glad I am on T3 now and depending on my next bloodwork may ask for some type of second dose as I can feel it Peter out mid day. I can't break my tablet because it's tiny. What do you do for T3? I'm sure any weight loss will be slow...but it's soooo much better than gaining on 1200 cals!!

Old 10-31-2016, 08:46 AM   #274
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Julie-
When my T3 'tanked' a few years ago, I was not only incredibly fatigued, but gained 10 lbs in 2 weeks! I didn't consider my thyroid because I'd been so stable for so long, that I figured I was OK. Fortunately, I had my regular labs scheduled, and my T3 was so low, it didn't even register.

I began with 5 mcg of Cytomel, which is what I assume you have, since it's the basic starting dose (and tiny pills). Doctors are really cautious with T3 because any overdose can cause cardiac problems. But it works differently than T4, and you're right that you can 'feel' it (as I did when I first started), and it has a 'short life.' If your doctor raises the dosage, you can take the second pill later in the day. I'm actually up to 30mcg, and I take it 3x a day, 10mcg. at a time. However, I have to 'finish' early because I take a daily multi-vitamin that contains calcium, and calcium supplements have to be 4 hours away from any thyroid Rx.

But I'm sure I'd be a basket case without the T3 (or dead).
Old 11-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #275
julieboolie
Big Yapper!!!!

Is Leo! I hope my Dr will up my dose. She's VERY conservative, as I don't really want to wait 3 months for that. I plan to call her at the end of this fist month on the 5mg and ask for more. I've got no hyper symptoms at all, my morning temp is 97.2 still, and although somewhat better, still have all my hypo symptoms. I hope she'll up my dose, but we'll see I guess. Thanks for letting me know your dose! I like knowing what works for others .

Just checking in. I've been following low calories for a weeks now, and although I was gaining on this a few weeks ago, I am finally starting to lose again!! I was even able to wear one of my skinny jeans yesterday! (The fattest pair, but still! Couldn't wear them at all a few weeks ago!) so, I'm encouraged. Not back to the gym yet...can't slice out an hour or more and the energy to do it! any free time becomes a load of (seemingly endless) laundry, dishes or dinner prep . But things are going well, been walking a bit here and there as it's finally cooling off some out here .

Hoe you're doing well!!

Old 11-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #276
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Julie-
I hope she raises your Cytomel, too, because you need enough so that you're not getting hypo symptoms.

I want to explain that I'm at 30 mcg NOW, but I began at 5 mcg, and my endo never raised me more than 5 mcg at a time--and only when I was low and having symptoms. He trusted me to watch out for heart palpitations, which is the first sign (for me) of too strong a dose, but I've never experienced any problems. I think the key is to increase slowly.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:46 AM   #277
shari
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shari
Stats: 252/187/169-mini goal
WOE: low carb-Atkins '72
Start Date: restart- 8/9/16
Hey ladies,

How's everyone? I'm so sorry that I've pretty much abandoned this thread, I've been feeling tired and 'blah' since working more (working a seasonal position) and my full time job is very demanding with the changing of seasons and upcoming holidays--it's very sad for a lot of my folks (mental health). I have not done well eating-wise, falling back into my usual mode of eating for comfort. I weighed a couple of days ago and it was not pretty. I really need the accountability of coming here to report how I'm doing, so I'm pushing the reset button (for the umpteenth time ) again and getting myself together. Tight fitting clothes is not comfortable or cute, and mentally it makes me feel worse...plus with the holidays, I could very easily get over 200lbs...just typing that number is helping right now because I haven't had to type a '2' in awhile weight-wise. I really need you guys...who else is in need of daily support?
shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #278
julieboolie
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Leo. I'm not a fan of having to wait a long time for my dose to be adjusted, but I understand it. I hope she'll up it when next we meet (January).

Hi Shari!! It's good to see you!! stress and work and life is hard at times! We all understand and are there or have been there ourselves! Reset as often as you need to! I fear the gaining too and having recently been gaining for no apparent reason it's even more scary to me! I put on 20 lbs in a few months while in a big deficit! I have learned that hormones and thyroid will not be beaten by diet and exercise alone!! I know you're on synthroid too, but have you had your T3 tested? I wonder if you're low on that and it's impacting your efforts? Just a thought!
Hope LC or whatever plan you choose helps you get going the right way! It's hard when the clothes are tight! I so get that and am frustrated right along with You!! But jumping back on the wagon before the holiday gain is very wise! I'm here if you need encouragement or just someone to listen .

I'm doing well. Adjusting to 5-6 hours of sleep if I'm lucky and having a newborn again . I'm eating really lightly, some days hcg levels! And it's finally helping some! I'm down to 170.4 finally and heading back to the 160's soon I hope! My clothes are still tight, but it's getting a bit better. I was in the high 150's earlier this year before my thyroid went nuts and want to get back there! I felt comfortable there, and even though id like to get lower than that, for now I'd be delighted to be there!
I've lifted once in a month . Just no free time or energy with a newborn and all the other craziness in my normal life. It's so wonderful having baby Z (who is thriving by the way) and our whole family loves her . It's just a big change and my life is very different these days. . Being this busy has helped with my diet though. No time to eat and not much appetite which has been good. Protein shakes and bars are my main source. I'd love to see the 160's by thanksgiving so that's my current goal. Considering I was stuck at 177+ while starving I'm thrilled to finally be making some progress. Still not fair or enjoyable but bette at least!

Hope you guys are doing well! Check in ladies .

Old 11-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #279
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Julie-

Yes, that's what's sad about T3 weight gain. It's not 'water,' but body fat from an incredibly slowed metabolism, so it has to be lost the same way as any body fat.

I think that's so unfair because a gain without any indulgences is just not right:-)
Old 11-13-2016, 09:34 AM   #280
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Deb294evr
Stats: 282/ working on it /140?
WOE: seaching for the right plan for ME
RESET DAY # who knows.. Does not matter, we can't give up!!

I am with Shari, and just going to do it. Scary numbers to look at so it has to change. Holiday or no Holiday. Time to go........

Julie glad you are doing well and going down on the scale finally.. It is way too easy to gain, and not easy at all to get rid of it.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #281
shari
Major LCF Poster!

Leo, so true. I have had a lot harder challenges losing weight than before my thyroidectomy. I'll get my T3 levels checked again because although I haven't been 100% committed to low carb, I haven't gone totally off the rails either, the weight gained is as if I've been 'cheating' for a couple of weeks. I just have to accept the fact that it is what it is, work with how things are now... so that means getting regular lab monitoring and staying consistent with low carb.

Julie, glad your weight is coming down! I know you're exhausted, but to me you're doing fantastic with managing the sudden addition of a newborn on an already hectic life. I just posted in your journal that seeing your progress since addition of T3 medication is helpful. I'll have mine tested soon as well. Have a great Sunday.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:38 AM   #282
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We are not being good posters....... I hope everyone is doing well!! I just stopped in to say all is going great so far this week!

I also wanted to brag a bit on my oldest son who is building his own home in the mountains of Colorado. This has been his dream home since before my Dad passed away and I know my Dad (Owned his own Contruction CO.) would be so proud!!! Their view is awesome!! Can't wait to visit! When I say "their" it is because my youngest son is providing the financing so he owns a big part of it..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jason and gregs house.jpg (37.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg jason and gregs house 2.jpg (25.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-16-2016, 03:41 AM   #283
shari
Major LCF Poster!

OMG Deb, what a beautiful site!! Oh I know you're so proud of them both...what a dream to be able to build your own home (it's huge too!!) and have the beauty of nature surrounding you. I know your father, their grandfather, would also be so proud of them. Please keep us updated by posting pics as it comes along, I'm just as excited for them and you too!!
Old 11-16-2016, 04:11 AM   #284
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shari View Post
OMG Deb, what a beautiful site!! Oh I know you're so proud of them both...what a dream to be able to build your own home (it's huge too!!) and have the beauty of nature surrounding you. I know your father, their grandfather, would also be so proud of them. Please keep us updated by posting pics as it comes along, I'm just as excited for them and you too!!
Thank you Shari!! I am so proud of them, for actually making the dream happen. My Dad taught my sons all he could about building homes that my oldest promised him before he passed that he would definitely make it happen. They are even building me a suite to come visit and stay when I can!

I will keep you updated for sure as the pictures roll in. He is living in a camper while doing this, with winter coming they are trying hard to get the roof up!

So I did get some very upsetting news at work yesterday. A good friend who I also Supervise was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. She is young only 38 with 4 young kids. She is devastated as I am sure I would be also. They don't have the plan set up for her treatment yet, but I am positive she will beat it. One reason this hits so hard is because I have already lost a good friend and coworker to Kidney Cancer a few years ago as I told everyone here, now another. It hurts.

One very POSITIVE thing that I will do though, is keep off of all sugar in support and solidarity with her to kick the cancer cells!!! We have talked about this even before she found the lumps this week. Kicking Sugar to the curb, is the very least I can do right now.

So on that note, LOW CARB IT IS!!! I am doing this!!!! Two full days down, and here I go today!
Old 11-16-2016, 08:12 AM   #285
julieboolie
Big Yapper!!!!

Deb- I'm so sorry about your friend. My friend starts chemo tomorrow for breast cancer, so I share your grief. Even with all the advances and success they have with treatment (which is awful in and of itself!) it still devastating. Good for you joining her in no sugar! That'll help her stay the course and be so good for you too!!
What a beautiful place for a home!!! And how sweet they're carrying on the family tradition and making a space for you! you deserve to be proud! They sound great!

Shari-thanks! I'm adjusting to my new lifestyle. Baby Z is amazing and is so worth any sacrifice. She slept great last night which is great!
I hope they'll test your T3, I can't imagine how your body would convert T4 to T3 without a thyroid gland? I'm not very good with all the details, but it seems like it certainly couldn't hurt! I couldn't stop the gaining or lose a lb until I added the T3. Really surprising how my body behaves! That was even on 1000 calorie days!

Leo-unfair is right! none of the fun part of a justified weight gain!

I'm doing well. I'm not lifting much anymore . Got there once this month! and am trying to figure out a way to get back into it at least twice a week. It's hard to make that time though when the house and my big girls (and dh) needs attention too. But, I liked how I felt when I was lifting and strong. And 2 days a week won't be as strenuous on my body either. I just don't want to lose all the muscle I've gained.

Aside from that I'm doing well. The busy life newborn diet is working well. Down to 169.1 this morning which made me happy. I actually got some decent sleep last night! Z slept from ten til five this morning and is back asleep now! I sure hope this is a new trend and not a fluke! She's been stretching it out more some nights and it's helping me a lot!
Life is good. I'm richly blessed and thankful for all Gods done for me. Trying to not take anything for granted.

Keep up the fight girls!

Old 11-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #286
Izzysdream
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: 205/203.6/155 (5'7") age 59
WOE: LC
Start Date: 4/06 - lost ~90, restarting
Hi Leo, Deb, Shari and Julie! I'm inching my way back! I've been on prednisone almost two weeks now and have my life back. The doctor said if it worked, I have polymyaglia rheumatica and not fibro. I am so grateful. I even walked for 15 minutes last night. I was thrilled! This experience has forced me to just appreciate each and every moment I have pain free, because I don't know when it may hit me again.

Last edited by Izzysdream; 11-16-2016 at 08:22 AM..
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:59 AM   #287
julieboolie
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzysdream View Post
Hi Leo, Deb, Shari and Julie! I'm inching my way back! I've been on prednisone almost two weeks now and have my life back. The doctor said if it worked, I have polymyaglia rheumatica and not fibro. I am so grateful. I even walked for 15 minutes last night. I was thrilled! This experience has forced me to just appreciate each and every moment I have pain free, because I don't know when it may hit me again.
yay! I'm so glad it's helping!! You poor thing! You've really been through the wringer! So glad you've got a good perspective on the good times, appreciate them and count your blessings! I'm trying to do more of that too!

Old 11-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #288
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Awesome to see you Izzy!! Glad you are able to get around some!! Wishing you healing every day!! Pain free moments...... enjoy!!

Thank you Julie, I will say a prayer for your friend also.... this really sucks.. to put it mildly. you are right though, even with all the advances, the diagnosis just throws you for a loop!!!

I am so sad today because she just found these lumps during her exam on Monday, then yesterday they did the ultrasound and biopsy, then today they told her it was a very aggressive form of Breast Cancer that she MUST get it out now.. She is devastated, her entire Family is in shock.... I don't know what to do for them. So I feel lost myself.

I am just going to do whatever I can from work to help her, we will all donate vacation time since she has so little and pray for the best outcome possible.!!! In the meantime, SUGAR FREE FOR ME!!
Old 11-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #289
Izzysdream
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: 205/203.6/155 (5'7") age 59
WOE: LC
Start Date: 4/06 - lost ~90, restarting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb294evr View Post

Thank you Julie, I will say a prayer for your friend also.... this really sucks.. to put it mildly. you are right though, even with all the advances, the diagnosis just throws you for a loop!!!

I am so sad today because she just found these lumps during her exam on Monday, then yesterday they did the ultrasound and biopsy, then today they told her it was a very aggressive form of Breast Cancer that she MUST get it out now.. She is devastated, her entire Family is in shock.... I don't know what to do for them. So I feel lost myself.

I am just going to do whatever I can from work to help her, we will all donate vacation time since she has so little and pray for the best outcome possible.!!! In the meantime, SUGAR FREE FOR ME!!
I am sending prayers for your friends with cancer! I am so, so sorry Julie and Deb!
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #290
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I am sending prayers for your friends with cancer! I am so, so sorry Julie and Deb!
Thank you Izzy!!!
Old 11-16-2016, 06:37 PM   #291
shari
Major LCF Poster!

OMG, Deb. What sad news. Sending prayers to her and her family as well as you all, loving friends, that are supporting her. I hope they are able to remove it in time that it doesn't spread. I remember your friend from before, I know it hurts now. I'm sending you hugs I think the no sugar diet support is a great way to show solidarity for her as words sometimes just doesn't feel like it's enough, it doesn't seem to cut and truly express the range of emotions you're going through. Please keep us posted if you want, I'll keep her in my prayers.

Izzy~ so glad to see you and on top of that, you're feeling a lot better with treatment. With the proper diagnosis, you and your medical team can tackle it head on plus, to read you're not in daily severe pain is wonderful!!

Julie~ I'm so sorry to hear about your friend too, praying for her and her family as well. It is sad, cancer does suck...no other way to put it. I'm glad that you're feeling better, losing weight again (congrats on reaching the 160's!! ), and baby Z is sleeping longer. I remember those days and feeling like an angel was on my side helping me before I lost sanity. I have to blame myself too for not researching as much as I should regarding my own treatment as I know too well that some doctors will only treat you with basic care. I keep forgetting to find out if my T3 was tested and getting to the bottom of this...will do this tomorrow.

You know, I do believe some things happen for a reason...especially when things line up in ways that I believe are to show you the answer or help. Let me explain; I had a strong urge to check out LCFs this evening and recently I've been going to my journal first vs. coming here. Well tonight I came directly here. Let me preface it to say that I was mentally pouting about inability to eat something sweet that I've been craving ALL day before coming here! I almost caved when my supervisor passed around little candy snacks earlier today, but I told myself 'no' and have been thinking how it's not fair that others can eat what they want and I can't, etc. Well needless to say, I come here tonight and read Deb's post and I feel rotten that I'm pouting about not eating sugar today when her friend is now fighting for her life and now eliminating sugar to no longer feed the cancer. I'm so very sorry to hear such sad news, it really does put into perspective how hard others really have it vs. me pouting about something that could even save my life later down the line. Deb and Julie, they are in my prayers.

Last edited by shari; 11-16-2016 at 06:38 PM..
Old 11-16-2016, 07:11 PM   #292
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's so awesome Shari!! I feel the same way. I pout when thinking I can't have something sweet too. Then I think about why and realize how insignificant that feeling is. I should be grateful that is all I am pouring about and not facing such an awful foe. We can do this for our health and well being. Great job!!!
Old 11-16-2016, 08:52 PM   #293
julieboolie
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes, it certainly puts things in perspective!

Deb-that's so fast! it totally sucks!!and seems to be happening to more people I know. Scary! But taking this reminder of how precious life is to heart and making healthy changes so we can be there for our families as long as possible is a good thing.

Hope we're all on a good track to better health! A bit of weight loss would be great too!!

Old 11-17-2016, 03:47 AM   #294
shari
Major LCF Poster!

So true, my friends.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:20 PM   #295
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made it through my work Thanksgiving with ZERO PROBLEMS!!!

It really helped that I sat with my friend and told everyone there that I could not have sugar..... nobody cared. nobody pushed food, nothing bad happened when I didn't eat all that sugar, and I feel FANTASTIC!!!

So much of these struggles are in our own heads and when you announce to those around you that you are going to be following something specific, I feel like it really helps me stay on track. Of course I don't expect perfection any more as that gets me no where fast. I DID have a wonderful NO SUGAR DAY!!!

Done for the day and ready to roll tomorrow!!
Old 11-18-2016, 03:34 AM   #296
shari
Major LCF Poster!

That's really amazing, Deb!! It is so hard to watch others eat sweets and you abstain but we have to remember how good you feel when you don't bend and come out on top!! We can do it, to support your friend and for us!
Old 11-18-2016, 04:09 AM   #297
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Shari! you are right! that feeling of satisfaction when you stick to your word TO YOURSELF is very powerful.

I could easily eat something I should not and nobody but ME would know. However, I would be letting myself down and would only hurt ME. This is something I struggle with each day, but the decision is so much easier these last few days.

I know I can't do much for my friend but support her and help her with what she needs, but in my mind, I am helping us both. If I can avoid Cancer I should. For my family. Like you said, we have the information, why not use it?
Old 11-18-2016, 01:26 PM   #298
julieboolie
Big Yapper!!!!

Deb-good job at the dinner!! You're right! Ultimately it's only ourselves who suffer when we don't stick to our promises. so glad you're doing so well!! Kutgw!

Shari-you sound good and committed!! good job!!

I'm doing well, sticking to very low calories...slowly relosing my thyroid gain...making some actual progress . It's a relief to be able to fit into some more clothing finally too! Miles to go I'm sure, but better than gaining!

Old 11-18-2016, 02:04 PM   #299
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieboolie View Post
Deb-good job at the dinner!! You're right! Ultimately it's only ourselves who suffer when we don't stick to our promises. so glad you're doing so well!! Kutgw!

Shari-you sound good and committed!! good job!!

I'm doing well, sticking to very low calories...slowly relosing my thyroid gain...making some actual progress . It's a relief to be able to fit into some more clothing finally too! Miles to go I'm sure, but better than gaining!
That is awesome Julie!! I know how much that was bothering you, so happy the Thyroid is doing better. I hope you have more energy also, well of course a newborn does not make that easier, but so worth it!!! She is adorable!!
Old 11-19-2016, 05:16 AM   #300
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Amazingly I am down 7 pounds this week!! WHAT?? I had given up hope of losing very quickly so this is a great surprise!! It was well worth staying off sugar this week!!

I also know that it won't continue like this, but happy to get some of the water off my body and already my ankles feel better, I am not bloated, sleeping well, not hungry, no cravings out of the ordinary. etc etc etc........ yes!!! PLUS this is the longest time I have actually stuck to anything in a very long time. 100%