Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2016, 04:14 PM   #151
ButterBaconBurgers
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 135/123/121
WOE: LCHF + 2 36 hr. fast per week
Start Date: June 4, 2016
Hi, can I join in?

I'm doing a reset as of September 1 and was planning to do it through the end of the year, so this timing is perfect

I do LCHF + Fung Fasting. After falling of the wagon the last week in August these are my goals:

Fast 1 x week (2 days - 60 hours)
Eat LCHF on eating days
Eat 3 meals a day on eating days
Resistance train 3 x week
Yin Yoga 2 x a week

I'm at maintenance but I might be maintaining high. I'm doing Fung (Dr. Jason Fung) fasting (www.intensivedietarymanagment.com) to help lower my body set point and reduce insulin resistance. I've done three months (except for last week in August) of fasting 2 x a week for 36 hours. I just finished Dr. Fung's book The Obesity Code and figured I should do one longer fast per week.

I started my reset on September 1 with three good days of three LCHF meals. I'm on Day 2 of this weeks fast. To get things kicked off I'm going to do this first fast one day at a time, i.e. if I can fast longer than two days this week I will. But my regular maintenance plan will be as above!

I really want to bypass the food abyss for the rest of the year !!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #152
julieboolie
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/169/158-163lbs
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Shari-glad youre all ready for your shakes! I need to hit the store myself. But Costco was closed today so I'll have to wait for tomorrow . Hope the transition goes well and you're rewarded this week .

Deb-great on the energy! That's what he says would happen! I'm still tired, but I don't think it's diet related for me though. Enjoy the resetting and refeeding!

Ate plenty today! Did a kettle bell hiit workout today, hard! But at least I moved a bit . Hoping the scale is in the right range this week I should probably weigh in at some point . Ostrich doesn't usually work well for me . Tomorrow will be a lighter eating day since it'll be a rest day too.

Come visit me in my journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=888635
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:38 AM   #153
shari
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shari
Stats: 252/187/169-mini goal
WOE: low carb-Atkins '72
Start Date: restart- 8/9/16
ButterBaconBurgers!! Congrats on being in maintenance, great plan. I look forward to seeing your continued progress.

Julie, I admire your commitment and dedication to working out.

Excited to start the kale shakes today as I know I'll feel so much better (hello energy! ) and the weight loss is an added bonus. I'm really, really wanting to hit mini goal of 169. G and I will try to go as long as we can, at least until the end of the month...we'll see, wish us luck.
shari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:13 AM   #154
julieboolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBaconBurgers View Post
Hi, can I join in?

I'm doing a reset as of September 1 and was planning to do it through the end of the year, so this timing is perfect

I do LCHF + Fung Fasting. After falling of the wagon the last week in August these are my goals:

Fast 1 x week (2 days - 60 hours)
Eat LCHF on eating days
Eat 3 meals a day on eating days
Resistance train 3 x week
Yin Yoga 2 x a week

I'm at maintenance but I might be maintaining high. I'm doing Fung (Dr. Jason Fung) fasting (www.intensivedietarymanagment.com) to help lower my body set point and reduce insulin resistance. I've done three months (except for last week in August) of fasting 2 x a week for 36 hours. I just finished Dr. Fung's book The Obesity Code and figured I should do one longer fast per week.

I started my reset on September 1 with three good days of three LCHF meals. I'm on Day 2 of this weeks fast. To get things kicked off I'm going to do this first fast one day at a time, i.e. if I can fast longer than two days this week I will. But my regular maintenance plan will be as above!

I really want to bypass the food abyss for the rest of the year !!!!!
Welcome heather!! Glad to have you here with us!!! I'm in semi-maintenance too, but still chasing an elusive 10 more lbs! I love to strength train too! Are you following a program, or just lifting? You've done great and I admire your fasting. I've read the Fung thread and did Juddd for a while this year, but all that restriction back fired on me and created a binge mentality in me . Now I'm working on maintaining and building muscle. .

Shari-good for you being excited to get back to the shakes and feeling good! Isn't it funny as we get older, it's more about health and feeling good than being skinny. It's quite a change and takes a while to really sink in (for me at least, I'm thick headed!) but so much better to focus on health and feeling good than being skinny.

That said, I wouldn't mind being skinny but I'll take strong for now . That kettle bell workout is no Joke! I was was really whipped afterwards! Today is a rest day and I'm babysitting and then trying to go to both dd's volleyball games tonight! Dd(16) has 3 games this week, and dd(13) has 2, with only 4 days this week! keeping me running!

Have a great day all! Keep your eye on the prize my friends .

Old 09-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #155
ButterBaconBurgers
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 135/123/121
WOE: LCHF + 2 36 hr. fast per week
Start Date: June 4, 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by shari View Post
ButterBaconBurgers!! Congrats on being in maintenance, great plan. I look forward to seeing your continued progress.

Excited to start the kale shakes today as I know I'll feel so much better (hello energy! ) and the weight loss is an added bonus. I'm really, really wanting to hit mini goal of 169. G and I will try to go as long as we can, at least until the end of the month...we'll see, wish us luck.
Thanks so much for the welcome and starting this thread, Shari. It is what I need because I know the holidays will get tough for me. They always do. The slide can start as soon as Sept 1 or as late as Halloween, but I just REALLY REALLY WANT to keep things on an even keel this year. So thank you all for being here. I'm hoping this extra accountability and support will help!

Kale shakes are awesome ... although I haven't don't them for a while, I did green smoothies for several years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieboolie View Post
Welcome heather!! Glad to have you here with us!!! I'm in semi-maintenance too, but still chasing an elusive 10 more lbs! I love to strength train too! Are you following a program, or just lifting? You've done great and I admire your fasting. I've read the Fung thread and did Juddd for a while this year, but all that restriction back fired on me and created a binge mentality in me . Now I'm working on maintaining and building muscle. .
Hi Julie, yes maintenance is something, at least it has been for me. Right now I bounce around between 129.5 and 123 for past 20 months. That's actually been the lowest/longest stable weight in my adulthood and I totally attribute that to: CONSISTENT RESISTANCE TRAINING. Which I totally recommitted to last year after a back injury flared up. Usually I'll exercise/workout for about 3 to 6 months and then fall off the wagon. But I've been getting in mostly 3 resistance training workouts a week since past November. I know if I quit it will be a disaster It always is. I'm using the STRONG CURVES program developed by Bret Contreras. He has a website, his name, and 4 programs in the book. I've interwoven his Beginner workout with the BW workout since late April. The results haven't been as great for building muscle, (I was in a muscle gaining contest at our local gym Jan to April this year and doing heavier weight with better "toning" results) but they've been great for my back and perfecting my form and helping with confidence. In about three weeks, I'm going to finally start his Gorgeous Glutes program, lol. He really focuses on lower body, which is what I need. My UB is okay. At 53, soon to be 54, I'm still okay wearing sleeveless shirts. I could go on and on about the weight training ... so it's wonderful to find another who's into it

I'm in my third day of what I'm calling a "messy" fast ... long story, hehe.

Yes, on the fasting leading to binging. OMAD totally did that for me last summer. It also has when I've tried variations in the past. Being LCHF (skewing to VLC & Keto) has helped me a lot. Although, my eating isn't what I want it to be when I'm eating. I'm just really determined to bring down my insulin levels/resistance if I can. I really believe after reading Dr. Fung's book that my set point is right where I've been maintaining (haha, I guess that's obvious!) but every time my weight hits 123, 122, 121, my appetite goes through the roof which as Dr. Fung explains it will do, to maintain a set point. I don't look bad and am not "overweight", all my clothes fit, but my FBG has been slowly rising and I know if I was a bit leaner my overall health would probably better. It's not bad, no medications, chronic diseases, but I notice little things. I will say my "adult acne" has totally disappeared since I started fasting a few months ago. Also my headaches which were a monthly occurrence are gone or much less severe/much shorter.

Sorry to go on and on I'm a little frustrated w/my maintenance at this point in my life. I feel like it's required too much time and attention in my life over past 30 years. I really would like to move to autopilot, but I realize I've got to make some changes if I'm ever going to get there ... and sigh, maybe I never will. Maybe because I was overweight as a teen, I'll always struggle to maintain. Or maybe this fasting combined with a LCHF woe will finally help get my insulin levels down and make it easier.

I've had to face in the past few weeks, I'm getting older and I just need to be more disciplined with my eating. These "food parties" I like to throw, really aren't helping. Plus I'm in the midst of menopause, so prior wiggle room is evaporating. (My last TOM was Mar this year) Having been overweight as a teen (for about 9 years 15-24) left me with a lot of mental emotional baggage. I really can't stand to be overweight and I still do have body dysmorphia.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:40 PM   #156
julieboolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBaconBurgers View Post
Thanks so much for the welcome and starting this thread, Shari. It is what I need because I know the holidays will get tough for me. They always do. The slide can start as soon as Sept 1 or as late as Halloween, but I just REALLY REALLY WANT to keep things on an even keel this year. So thank you all for being here. I'm hoping this extra accountability and support will help!

Kale shakes are awesome ... although I haven't don't them for a while, I did green smoothies for several years.

Hi Julie, yes maintenance is something, at least it has been for me. Right now I bounce around between 129.5 and 123 for past 20 months. That's actually been the lowest/longest stable weight in my adulthood and I totally attribute that to: CONSISTENT RESISTANCE TRAINING. Which I totally recommitted to last year after a back injury flared up. Usually I'll exercise/workout for about 3 to 6 months and then fall off the wagon. But I've been getting in mostly 3 resistance training workouts a week since past November. I know if I quit it will be a disaster It always is. I'm using the STRONG CURVES program developed by Bret Contreras. He has a website, his name, and 4 programs in the book. I've interwoven his Beginner workout with the BW workout since late April. The results haven't been as great for building muscle, (I was in a muscle gaining contest at our local gym Jan to April this year and doing heavier weight with better "toning" results) but they've been great for my back and perfecting my form and helping with confidence. In about three weeks, I'm going to finally start his Gorgeous Glutes program, lol. He really focuses on lower body, which is what I need. My UB is okay. At 53, soon to be 54, I'm still okay wearing sleeveless shirts. I could go on and on about the weight training ... so it's wonderful to find another who's into it

I'm in my third day of what I'm calling a "messy" fast ... long story, hehe.

Yes, on the fasting leading to binging. OMAD totally did that for me last summer. It also has when I've tried variations in the past. Being LCHF (skewing to VLC & Keto) has helped me a lot. Although, my eating isn't what I want it to be when I'm eating. I'm just really determined to bring down my insulin levels/resistance if I can. I really believe after reading Dr. Fung's book that my set point is right where I've been maintaining (haha, I guess that's obvious!) but every time my weight hits 123, 122, 121, my appetite goes through the roof which as Dr. Fung explains it will do, to maintain a set point. I don't look bad and am not "overweight", all my clothes fit, but my FBG has been slowly rising and I know if I was a bit leaner my overall health would probably better. It's not bad, no medications, chronic diseases, but I notice little things. I will say my "adult acne" has totally disappeared since I started fasting a few months ago. Also my headaches which were a monthly occurrence are gone or much less severe/much shorter.

Sorry to go on and on I'm a little frustrated w/my maintenance at this point in my life. I feel like it's required too much time and attention in my life over past 30 years. I really would like to move to autopilot, but I realize I've got to make some changes if I'm ever going to get there ... and sigh, maybe I never will. Maybe because I was overweight as a teen, I'll always struggle to maintain. Or maybe this fasting combined with a LCHF woe will finally help get my insulin levels down and make it easier.

I've had to face in the past few weeks, I'm getting older and I just need to be more disciplined with my eating. These "food parties" I like to throw, really aren't helping. Plus I'm in the midst of menopause, so prior wiggle room is evaporating. (My last TOM was Mar this year) Having been overweight as a teen (for about 9 years 15-24) left me with a lot of mental emotional baggage. I really can't stand to be overweight and I still do have body dysmorphia.
Ha! I love Bret Contreras!! I did gorgeous glutes a while last year! good program . I still do whts in my routine but am doing Stronglifts 5x5 with added lifts of my choice now. Really working on my squats. I too had/have a back thing, compressed disc in my low back and my neck, so form is critical for me. Deloading when I started SL a few weeks ago was great for my squat form. Whts don't bother my back at all and I'm adding weight to that lift (up to 185lbs now) better than others b/c my back tolerates it best. I love deadlifts too, but they really don't love me, and even with perfect form at a certain weight my back spasms, . I've recently got a belt and will try to add weight with that, and hope for progress. Taking it slowly and hoping to remain healthy and pain free!
I envy your menopause. I'm peri, I think. irregular, crazy flow sometimes, hot flashes...fun! I'm 47 and was obese from 6th grade on, so I share your struggles there too. making progress with the "new" me and accepting a higher maintenance weight than I originally wanted so I can live life. I'm not willing to sacrifice forever to be a size 4-6, when I can lift, eat and live well in an 8/10. I look ok, definitely some padding I could lose, but content here. I'm also recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's hypothyroidism and waiting for meds for that, I'm hoping that will help me lose some more fat once my meds are set up. We'll see, I've always been a much harder loser than others, and try to keep my expectations in check, .

Kiddos just left, girls are at their gyms getting ready for their games and I'm enjoying some quiet and a little caffeine to make it through the night. I'm tired today .

Hope you're all doing well!

Old 09-08-2016, 04:14 AM   #157
shari
Major LCF Poster!

quick post, I've been doing well on kale shakes the past couple days. Tuesday was rough between 11-2-something, but after that I was okay. I've been eating whatever I want for dinner (not specifically low carb), but I've been able to eat less than previous meals. I'm also drinking a lot more water. Didn't weigh this morning but was down 2lbs yesterday. TOM is due to come in the next 3 days so I'm good if I could just maintain vs. gaining typical 2-3lbs. OH Julie, the name of the TOM app I use is called "P Tracker".

BBL to respond to all.... Happy Friday Eve!

Last edited by shari; 09-08-2016 at 04:16 AM..
Old 09-09-2016, 12:26 PM   #158
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Deb294evr
Stats: 282/ working on it /140?
WOE: seaching for the right plan for ME
Wonderful Shari!!! Sorry I have no time, but I just wanted to check in and say I am also doing well. Enjoying the rest re-feed. I don't like being too full so I am not really eating too much, just enough of the things I love to not feel deprived. I am loving it so far! No weighing for me for some time, but that is OK!!!

Have a great weekend all!!
Old 09-09-2016, 07:05 PM   #159
julieboolie

Thanks Shari!
Glad you guys are doing well! I'm up still, 172 can't seem to get it to drop without major cuts, sigh. Not going to worry too much, but I don't like it! Workouts on point, very happy with my training and food, and I guess I'll just have to work on reducing my overall calories? Sigh. Not stressing, plenty of clothes that fit, but I'd love to have loose jeans!!

Busy week and hopefully less busy weekend ahead. I'll lift tomorrow . Take care all!

Old 09-10-2016, 06:35 AM   #160
shari
Major LCF Poster!

Can't believe I didn't make it in here yesterday, this week has been a blur...it went so fast.

Julie~ keep doing what you're doing! Your clothes tell the real truth, as long as you're fitting in them okay, you're on track regardless of what the scale says. Hopefully you can get some rest this weekend. The busy lives we lead, mostly ran by our children!

Deb~ so glad to read that it's working and you're doing well, peace of mind is great!

As for me, I'm still doing kale juicing. Down 4lbs so far, and eating what I want for dinner too. I'm going to maybe do low carb on the weekends to 'maintain' loss, kale drinks during the weekdays as it's easier for me to drink it during the day when working vs. weekends. I'm still winging it as I go, but main thing is that I believe my body needs a good shakeup because low carb by itself is too familiar. On the other hand, I'm PMSing now too, trying to fight through some cravings. Hope everyone have a great, slow weekend.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #161
julieboolie

Shari- yay! So glad you're doing well! -4 is amazing!! Good plan too, keeping your body guessing! Those kale shakes really work for you! Even if it is only a month or so, you're nourishing your body and shaking it up at the same time! Yay!

I'm doing fine, feeling pretty good overall. I finally get to see my endocrinologist on Monday. I'm not as excited or hopeful, guessing she'll just order more bloodwork, but ideally I could get some good meds, and start feeling better, right? My poor hair!! It's so thin now , and I am definitely foggy headed. I run out of steam mid-afternoon despite caffeine supplementation . And the stupid scale!!! Despite all the exercsie and the controlled calories and deficit, I'm still up! 171.4 today, which is progress from the 172 I've been at the last few days . Trying not to panic, but just keep being mindful and in control, but it's so frustrating!!!!

I'm lifting this morning, and will borrow from Shari and do some protein shakes today. I'd like to be back in the 160's, sigh.
Tonight dd(16) and I are going to the 5SOS concert together (belated 16th birthday present to her). Looking forward to spending time together .

Take care all and keep up the fight!

Old 09-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #162
shari
Major LCF Poster!

Julie, I'm so sorry that you're going through thyroid troubles. I keep forgetting to address the hair issue because that's definitely one of the things that can happen. I've heard taking Biotin really helps; I make sure it's in my multivitamins (which I forget to take daily ), but since I have really thick hair it's hard for me to tell if it's been an issue sometimes. And yes, the foggy brain...I still have that, despite taking meds. I just deal with it and try to write things down on a calendar to not miss events, but I'd say the main thing that's frustrating is forgetting words when I'm trying to talk sometimes. I was so relieved to not feel so daggone tired everyday after getting a higher dosage, that I 'forget' about the other little (but not so little) side effects of being hypo. I really can identify what you're going through and pray that you're able to get the best meds for you.

PMS suck! I overate yesterday and feel into carbs. Cleaning up today, no need to dwell on it and kick myself all day. I'm going to do low carb and continues with juicing tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #163
julieboolie

Thanks Shari! my hair is normally so thick! But it's been falling out more and more lately, handfuls every shower, and when I brush it or even run my hands though it! so sad! I love my hair and it's taken years to get this long! Sigh. I'd love to be well enough one day to almost forget this feeling!
We have all been there! Cleaning it up and back to healthy LC is good! Weekends are just plain hard! Hope today goes well!!!

I lifted yesterday and it went great! Love feeling strong!
I joined eat to perform yesterday, for 3 months. I read the Ebook and have been loosely following it, but have gained 3 lbs in the last few weeks and know I need more help. I love the principles and hope with their help to shed some fat while continuing my weight training, .

Scale at 171.5 today, but TOM arrived! a week early, yay . Sigh. Relaxing day planned . Hope you're all doing well!

Old 09-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #164
shari
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Julie, how'd your appointment go yesterday? Hope you were able to get medications needed to feel better. It can be very depressing Sorry TOM came early for you, I guess he wanted to two-time us both as he's here visiting me too!

I'm still juicing it in the mornings, but was suffering too much to wait all day to only eat dinner. I noticed a pattern of starting to overeat more than I liked for dinner, so I modified it to only juice for breakfast and have a lighter lunch or dinner. I'm still trying to find a better suited WOE that will fit for me, I know I'm all over the map with switching things up.

Last edited by shari; 09-13-2016 at 08:33 AM..
Old 09-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #165
julieboolie

Shari-don't be hard on yourself! You're looking for the right fit for your lifestyle and scheudle! Try different combinations and see how it goes .

I did see the dr yesterday. Had to wait over an hour to be seen! I didn't like that part at all! But, she was nice, and listened to me. Diagnosed me officially with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and hypothyroidism. Said she was amazed I could function at all with such low numbers, that she's rarely seen numbers as low as mine! that made me feel oddly better as I've been so dang tired but trying to fight through it! Almost like I had permission to rest more, KWIM? Anyway, she prescribed synthroid for me and we'll do bloodwork and a follow up in 6 weeks, and see where my levels are now. She gave me 10 days of cytomel (t3) to tide me over until the t4 can build up and I can start converting it to useable t3. That was nice of her too. It'll take over a month to see any difference I'm told, so I'm waiting and hoping. Still really tired, and concerned about my hair-so much falls out every day! and I've gained 15lbs since May, when I look back. Despite constant effort and deficit and exercise! so, yeah, kinda crappy

But, hopefully, between ETP (eat to perform where they're slowly upping my calories to get my body back up to TDEE level-Deb, similar to RRARF) and continuing my workouts, and the added Rx, I hope to feel better by Christmas! I won't be able to fit into my clothes though . I'm wearing leggings and stretchy things as my jeans are TIGHT! totally stinks! And I will not go buy bigger clothes! I'm not planing to stay this size.

Anyway, trying to adjust to maintiwning up her in the low 170's without freaking out. But at least my lifting is going well .

Hope the rest of you are making progress!! I'm healing and recharging I guess.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:35 AM   #166
shari
Major LCF Poster!

Oh Julie, I feel for you. I hope it all works out, hypo stinks and it really does take awhile to find the right combo of meds and eating style to fit in order to lose weight. I too noticed that I was 176 on the day of surgery last year and have been bouncing up and down 15lbs too since this time last year (the highest I've been is 191). I'm glad she really listened to you and added a T3 medication; regular labwork is important, especially in the beginning to check your levels, but of course you know that--you've done your research. I wish you the best right now.

I'm still holding on, prepping to do my 3rd day of yoga and the best is that G is doing it with me. Yeah, what a hoot! I haven't weighed as TOM is slowly leaving... Happy Hump Day!
Old 09-14-2016, 09:03 AM   #167
julieboolie

I weighed late, after coffee and running dd(13) to an early practice...172.8. So I guess I'm maintaining? Not where I want to be at all! But at least not gaining!i guess I'll take it for now .
We all overslept this morning, so not off to a great start . But we're getting through it! Dressed for the gym and plan to lift at some point today!

Shari-sounds amusing! The yoga together! I liked yoga but it really aggravated my sciatica, I'm guessing where my compressed disc is in my low back got really irritated, . So I had to stop. I love the idea of it! So happy you're doing it regularly!! It (exercsie) seems to help other things come together for me. Hope things continue to go well .

Old 09-16-2016, 03:47 AM   #168
shari
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Julie! I hope it all comes together for you as well. It totally sucks to be doing the right things but it's not showing on the scale. It does take time for the meds to reach it's full efficacy in your system. I pray it does, it's got to be emotionally draining to be losing your hair and feeling tired. You have a busy schedule too, I just feel for you right now.

Our little group is dwindling down, hopefully everyone's okay. I didn't do the kale drinks the past two mornings. I had it with me, just didn't want to drink it which let's me know that I may be getting tired of the taste of it; I'm taking a brief break. I'm not eating breakfast at this point, it's just lunch and dinner. What's encouraging is that my clothes are fitting a bit looser. I haven't weighed still because the darn scale just ruins my mood and optimism if it doesn't show losses I'm hoping for, I get discouraged and start doubting what I'm doing.

Soooo glad it's Friday! As of now, I don't have much to do. I have to get up tomorrow morning to take youngest to get a fasting bloodwork, then drop both boys off at a charity breakfast from 8-10 that a couple of friends are having at a restaurant (I opted out of it because I'd hurt myself, love pancakes, waffles, all the no-no carby stuff LOL), run a few errands.. then hopefully I can get some work done around the house. Sunday, I'm declaring a rest day.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:36 AM   #169
julieboolie

Shari-sounds like a good weekend ahead! I can understand getting sick of the kale drinks, I'm kinda impressed you drink them at all I'm not a kale lover . But loose clothes? I'd love that part! I wear such stretchy stuff, especially in the summer and working out so much, that tight clothes kinda sneak up on me . I flip flop around when the scale isn't rewarding my efforts either, so I get that part too! Hopefully clean LC with occasional shakes will get you headed in the right direction!!

I got up to 173.4 this week but am at 172.4 this morning @5:40! So I will take that as stable! Trying to get my maintenance calories up to TDEE level (supposed to be 2100-2200cals) is harder than you'd think when you've been in a deficit for 20 years!

Last day babysitting today and I'm glad actually. I love the kids, but I'm so tired and our house and my kids need more of my attention. Things are slipping through the cracks and I can see it's taking a toll on all of us. A week or 2 break before we get our first placement will be good!

Lifting is going great, getting heavier each session, up to where I was before I hurt my back and took time for the chiropractor earlier this year . Now to push past this point physically and mentally!

Quiet weekend ahead! Hooray! I need it!

Come check in challengers! Where'd you all go? How's the reset going? I do better in cooler weather so my best season is right around the corner! How about you?

Old 09-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #170
julieboolie

Deb!! Happy birthday!!! I hope you have an awesome day and get lots of time with that adorable little grandson to celebrate!!! Hope it's a wonderful day and great year ahead!!

Old 09-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #171
Izzysdream
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: age 60, prednisone since 11/16
WOE: trying to figure it out
Start Date: 4/2006 restart:
Hi Ladies and Happy Birthday Deb!! Quick Drive by

I went off low carb when I was having that intense pain thinking it was related to gout? Was it 2 weeks ago or 3? Can't remember. Miraculously I haven't gained much weight (which makes me think I must have gotten into the 180's). I saw the Rheumatologist on Tuesday and he thinks that I may be starting to get fibromyalgia. Need to get blood tests to rule other things out and xrays.
I started taking naproxen and didn't take the meds he prescribed and the pain hasn't been that bad the last 4 days. Coincidence? Monday I could hardly walk for the pain. Planning on resetting back to low carb this weekend and keep my fingers crossed that the pain stays away.
Izzysdream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:41 AM   #172
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning all! Yesterday was probably my most special birthday ever.. My kids surprised me showing up for a Surprise Party! ALL OF THEM!! My boys and my daughter flew in from Seattle, Vail and San Francisco to pull this off!

I had no clue so they did a fantastic job of fooling me! We all had a wonderful time in a Beautiful Italian Restaurant. They invited friends and family and it was awesome.. My oldest daugther made a Tribute video with interviews with my kids and coworkers and sisters that made me cry ....... I was completely shocked.

Not really weight loss related but it made my heart full and emotional.

I also realized by looking at those pictures that I must get going. Not really D I E T I N G.. but committing to better myself.. I have to. I want to be around for many years to come.. So blessed.

Thank you ladies for your Birthday wishes. Julie and Shari, thank you for your FB wishes also.. I enjoyed my Birthday more than ever with everyone there. My sweet Grandson had a blast dancing around the room.. What else can I say!! My heart is so full.

Julie, I hope your meds start working soon, losing hair and being exhausted does not sound fun!! It is also a good thing you will take time for yourself the next few weeks before you bring in your first child. Baby? So excited for you.

Shari, I hear you taking a break from the shakes.. you also did a good job passing on the yummy carby food.. I hope you get a nice rest this weekend and congrats on your cloths fitting loser!! Something is working!

Izzy so sorry about your pain and I hope you find the answers. Have a wonderful weekend getting back on Low Carb. I am going to do the same..

I just have to. The sugar was wonderful as a refeed, but I really need to cut back now and think of my long term health. My Dad died from complications of Diabetes 4 years ago, and there is no way I want to be that unhealthy... New decade for me, new life.............
Old 09-17-2016, 08:38 AM   #173
julieboolie

Deb- I saw the photo of the whole family and am thrilled for you!! What a thoughtful family!! That's such a meaningful gift and one you will cherish forever!! it wasn't even me and I got choked up!! soooo happy for you!!! Savor this time together!!! LC will work for you again, I'm sure. That darned hcg ruins our expectations of normal weight loss!! enjoy the weekend too!!

Izzy- sounds like the dr's aren't much help . Feeling better without the Rx? Hmmm...I have a slight conspiracy theory with dr's and pharmaceutical companies, and am big on trying not to use Rx if possible. But there are certainly times when nothing else will work-like me right now . I hope you continue to feel better!! Not knowing the cause is rough too! But at least you're getting a little relief! So glad you're not gaining! That's a bonus too!

Shari! Hope you're doing well this weekend!

I'm doing ok. Weight still up, jeans still tight...but I think the gaining has stopped. Sigh. 173 seems to be the new high end of my new range 171-173, which I guess I can live with. Like Deb I'm getting a bit anxious to lose this weight though!! I try to remember all the work I've put in this year to no avail and accept the healing I need to do first to make any lasting progress. It's just extra hard when your clothes are really tight!! Like my black jeans I work to the baseball game last night. They still "fit" but that muffin top? and they were tight! another week at this calorie level (hopefully without a gain) then I raise them again! A little more, not drastically, but still! Another month at this weight? I'm trying to wrap my head around all of that!! And possibly gaining a bit too? Sigh. It's not yummy baked goods either, it's lower fat while you're raising carbs to minimize weight gain, and more starch lower sugar=no fun . But, leggings & tunics should help a lot

On that happy note, I need to lift today! It's getting heavier and harder...which is the idea. But I'm afraid to fail on squat! I have yet to do that and it is scary!

Have a good weekend all!!

Old 09-17-2016, 10:24 AM   #174
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Julie!! I am still walking on a cloud this morning.. so surprised!!!!

I can tell how much you love your lifting, and that is making you so much stronger! I understand that gaining is not something we want to do, I sure don't. There must be something to what you are doing though, so keep us informed on how it is going.. What do you mean by failing on the squat? I guess I need to read more and learn about this. I know it is so good for women and as we age. Getting strong, saving muscle and bone!

I just can't take any more gain. It is getting scary!! My ankles and heel hurt when I walk now so I just have to get some pounds off of me. I will NOT diet though, that mentality has gotten me no where. I just have to make better food choices and that will mean less sugar for ME. I am committed, and that feels good. You are right Julie, when we get those fast HCG losses it spoils us. I just have to put that out of my life now and even a pound a week will get me 52 down in a year. One step at a time. No looking back for me.

Have a wonderful weekend!!!
Old 09-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #175
shari
Major LCF Poster!

Hey ladies, so glad to see everyone posting!

Izzy~ I too hope you're able to get the relied needed, and hopefully able to get a true diagnosis to begin to work on the source of pain. Wonderful that you haven't gained as an added bonus!

Julie~ you're inspiring with the continued lifting and strength trainings! I'm sorry that it's not helping though with the clothes fitting tighter (the scale isn't the most accurate, but clothes do tell the tale). I'm feeling more desperate too, actually was reading on hhcg again. I know, I know...I shouldn't, but I'm at a place that I just want to feel excited about getting on the scale and reaching the 160's, ugh.

Deb~ What a wonderful surprise!! The pics on fb were so beautiful to see the kids together, under their younger pics...so cute! You deserve it, glad they were able to pull off a really nice surprise; I'd be in tears the whole week thinking about it, LOL.

As mentioned to Julie, it entered my mind the possibility of doing hhcg again. It happened so randomly: I was on FB, then read a post someone wrote in the Hcg 3.0 group (I'd joined when in the past I was considering it). It reminded me of how great I felt with weight and inch loss when doing rounds, but then I remind myself how I couldn't even get through 2 full weeks when I've attempted to do it again since then. I'm working on the head game now, trying to remind myself to have more patience. I was doing well on kale shakes, got tired of it, now back to default of low carb. My mind is right now, trying to decide what to do... I find it sooo ironic that you two mentioned it today when I was thinking about it before coming here. Coincidence? LOL, it's like a little message to let it go...

Last edited by shari; 09-18-2016 at 09:54 AM..
Old 09-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #176
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shari View Post
Hey ladies, so glad to see everyone posting!

Izzy~ I too hope you're able to get the relied needed, and hopefully able to get a true diagnosis to begin to work on the source of pain. Wonderful that you haven't gained as an added bonus!

Julie~ you're inspiring with the continued lifting and strength trainings! I'm sorry that it's not helping though with the clothes fitting tighter (the scale isn't the most accurate, but clothes do tell the tale). I'm feeling more desperate too, actually was reading on hhcg again. I know, I know...I shouldn't, but I'm at a place that I just want to feel excited about getting on the scale and reaching the 160's, ugh.

Deb~ What a wonderful surprise!! The pics on fb were so beautiful to see the kids together, under their younger pics...so cute! You deserve it, glad they were able to pull off a really nice surprise; I'd be in tears the whole week thinking about it, LOL.

As mentioned to Julie, it entered my mind the possibility of doing hhcg again. It happened so randomly: I was on FB, then read a post someone wrote in the Hcg 3.0 group (I'd joined when in the past I was considering it). It reminded me of how great I felt with weight and inch loss when doing rounds, but then I remind myself how I couldn't even get through 2 full weeks when I've attempted to do it again since then. I'm working on the head game now, trying to remind myself to have more patience. I was doing well on kale shakes, got tired of it, now back to default of low carb. My mind is right now, trying to decide what to do... I find it sooo ironic that you two mentioned it today when I was thinking about it before coming here. Coincidence? LOL, it's like a little message to let it go...
Oh Shari, no problem with thinking of alternatives and wanting that excitement of losing again. I feel the same way!! I need something to look forward to each day and some results would be wonderful also!!!

Nothing wrong with thinking about adding hHCG to Low carb or even keto eating. HCG 3.0 really does work and you are NOT starving yourself like the original plan which in MY opinion is just not good for the body.

With HCG 3.0 you get plenty of fats and enough protein to not do so much harm. If you are going to do any HCG plan I think 2.0 or 3.0 would be the most healthy.

In my mind, once I am adapted again to fat for fuel, I see no harm in adding back in some HCG which could not hurt me at all. I don't expect losses like the original plan and I would be eating that way anyway! The only difference for ME is that I have always felt like HCG was an added fat burner. AS long as we don't starve ourselves, no harm.

Trust me it is crossing my mind also, but first I MUST get off the carbs so it will be much easier to stick to it and not be hungry. That is the KEY for me. Summer fruit season is over, so that temptation won't be there. Any other carbs I don't crave so much. I love eating one spinach salad a day with some Feta and shrimp or chicken. That is pretty much the only carbs I eat but very satisfying to me.

So my plan is in motion now that I feel very much re fed. I had a great T Bone for lunch, with some gorgeous tasty shrimp and butter. I will eat something for dinner of the meat family and call it a day. I am trying NOT to snack at all. That is big for me, because I could just snack all day long.

I will do this. I can't keep feeling this bad physically. Yesterday I went to a football game and did a ton of walking again and my feet /ankles are just killing me!!! UGH .. carrying too much weight for my small bones...

Another thing I am going to work hard on is not changing my mind all the time. I need to see the GOAL in my mind and in front of me daily. If I don't remember what I am feeling I am afraid I will not stay focused. So there it is!! I hope you decide to do what YOU WANT TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the compliment of my kiddos.. they are so special. The video they made for me just still has me in tears... Could not ask for better kids...
Old 09-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #177
julieboolie

Deb-it's like another reset for you! After this wonderful milestone with all the kids together celebrating your a sing life so far, you have a great perspective on how blessed you are and seem really determined to drop this weight for good. sounds great!! Keto is so tempting to me these days as I'm keeping a tight reign on my fats with my current plan...the grass is always greener, isn't it? but like you wisely stated, stay FOCUSED and stick with your plan with your eye on the goal! You'll do great!!!

Shari-I agree with Deb, some hcg added to another plan would probably be fine. But that prolonged starvation will do more harm than good. but, I soooo agree! I miss the scale going down...I miss clothes getting looser. Sigh. For me, LC around the holidays is the easiest option, and even if you lose a bit then actually maintain through Thanksgiving and again at Christmas, you'd be way ahead of all the New Years resolvers : I'm trying to get excited for down 0.5-1 lbs a week. At this point I'd be happy with STS and I am up more weight .

I'm up to 174.4 today . I hope it's from eating out yesterday. Even though I hit my macros pretty well, and lifted heavy yesterday. It's all part of the healing process, and I don't wnat to ruin what I've started here. But it's frustrating!!! In the mirror I look pretty good-can see muscles and look lean enough for me. But my jeans are tight and my muffin top seems bigger. Wore skinny jeans today to church, and although not as loose as I'd like, they looked pretty good overall. Same with dinner last night, dd(16) took pics of me and told me I looked amazing! So, I'm not going to panic and throw in the towel. What would I do anyway? Go back to LC again? It doesnt me real losses. Just initially water then nothing.

So I need to resign myself to this healing phase, take my meds and hope my body adjusts, and then see what I can do. I'm looking at it as an unintentional bulking phase with my lifting and choosing to celebrate my strength gains instead. Putting on muscle is HARD and doing it with minimal fat gain is even harder. I dearly hope that is what is happening to me right now .

As a side note, I'm feeling kinda down lately. That's not "me", wondering if this is thyroid related? Not my normal cheery self, feeling sad and discouraged lately. Choosing to take the time with my family and count my blessings. This too shall pass.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:43 AM   #178
shari
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Julie and Deb, your posts made me feel less crazy, LOL. After thinking more about it, I'm going to try the hhcg along with keto diet. Like Deb, I'm going to get down into deep ketosis before starting to help. Deb, let me know when you start 'the juice' as well.

Julie~ it does sound like your levels are still very low. The symptoms you're describing sounds just like how I was before the endo doc increased my Synthroid dosage (this reminds me, I need to schedule a follow up as well...been feeling more tired too). I felt depressed, sad and crying easily, etc. When do you see your doc again for retesting?
Old 09-19-2016, 08:22 AM   #179
julieboolie

Shari- thanks for sharing your experience. It really helps me to hear what happened with others on this journey. She said 6 weeks between tests/visits, so I have a ways to go. But it'll take a full month before it kicks in, so I'm sure I'm not adjusted yet. It's so hard to wait and watch the scale climb... but I'm trying not to freak out too much. Just so counter intuitive to my way of thinking-I want to stop eating as much and make the scale go down.
I'm sure deep ketosis will be a good place to start for sure! I recall that lovely appetite suppression!! nice you and Deb will be doing it together too!

Scale up to 175.4 today! that's BAD!! Old, post-Atkins set point, and makes me seriously want to cry! I did eat a big meal really late last night and hope that is why, but I'm nearing the point of tossing this new program aside and starving this weight back down some. I'll try to reach a coach today for advice.

Keeping on...lifting this morning sometime and meeting a friend for coffee/breakfast. trying to get the house back in order too.

Happy Monday all!

Old 09-19-2016, 09:05 AM   #180
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Shari, I will let you know when I am ready to add. I am thinking it will be in a couple of days. I am on day 2 of only meat and I already feel so much appetite suppression. I won't be doing any loading because basically that is all I have done for the past several weeks.!

I plan to get good and full of meat and fat with my spinach salad for lunch if I need some greens. I honestly am so gung ho after this milestone birthday for some permanent change, I will do most anything to succeed. EXCEPT starve. I will get plenty of fat and protein and that will keep me healthy. So planning on adding the juice on Wednesday If I continue to see this progress! EXCITED!!!

I hope you also have some good success. OF course we know so much is mental so we will get our minds in the right place!!!

Julie, oh I feel your pain!!! I was gaining so much and so fast that I felt out of control!! Can't stand being out of control on anything.... so good luck to you!! Get your coaches advise and do what feels right to you.....