Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-29-2016, 03:31 AM   #211
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Deb294evr
Stats: 282/ working on it /140?
WOE: seaching for the right plan for ME
Hey Shari!! No limit on the reset button for sure!!! Yay on your Yoga!!!

I am feeling the same.. I want the results but my silly mind does not want to stick to anything. I am fighting through it daily.. ok I mean hourly..... sometimes I slip up but I always get back on so far.. Wonder what our heads are telling us? Why don't I want to stick to what works? Not sure but it is a constant struggle. I know I need to do this for my health and maybe I just have to add some good exercise to keep me motivated. Something has to change in my mind to get me going and KEEP me going.

Anyway, small slip ups but still on the path. I will weigh in on Saturday and even if it is one pound, that is one pound less than last week.

Heather you are doing so well!! Congrats!!!

Julie, congrats on losing something.. does not matter how much.. just progress. I admire that you can stick with your plan!! I know how frustrating things can get when the scale is going UP.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2016, 06:49 AM   #212
julieboolie
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/155.4/158lbs
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Shari-good for you resetting again. It is life! We're not in a vacuum and able to live on an island until we reach our ideal weights. I've often thought that would be so much easier! But you picked right back up and are right back on track! I recall you feeling really good on that cleanse, in fact most people who do them say the same thing. Hard though!! I'm not sure my mind would agree at this point . Hope it's an easy keto day today!

Deb-yes, even slow losses are progress!! Weight loss is such a mental battle! You're a pro though, and even though your tempted by other options, LC has always been your home base. Hoping for a nice reward for you on Saturday as y keep on keeping on .

Well, I'm happy to report the scale seems to be coming back down! 173.6 this morning!! I don't understand why, I'm just delighted to be finally heading back to at least where I started! Maybe the thyroid meds are finally kicking it? I do feel a bit better. Or maybe the adjustment to ETP and higher carbs is finally made and my muscles can't take any more water? whatever the case, I just am thankful it is not continuing to climb! That really was awful!

I lifted yesterday and added more weight again. Dh was with me and in a hurry so I had to rush through my rest between sets which wasn't ideal. I still hit 150lbs for my squats, but my depth was bad. And my bench was 80lbs!! That's impressive for me!! Even a bad day at the barbell is better than not going at all I plan to walk today, but it's a little humid today, lightly raining currently. Finally some cooler temps though and I'm delighted!!

Keep up the fight girls!

Come visit me in my journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=888635
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #213
ButterBaconBurgers
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 135/123/121
WOE: LCHF + 2 36 hr. fast per week
Start Date: June 4, 2016
Hey Ladies,

I'll share this cause I think it's interesting

FBG Results of 4 3-day fasts ... With exceptions to LCHF meals ...

FAST #1 97-97-96 (using stevia)(have dropped stevia since this fast ...)
FAST #2 113-102-104 (birthday treats this week, husband's)
FAST #3 102-93-99 (birthday treats this week, mine)
FAST #4 85-68-81 (only 1 sweet treat this week)

Julie, sometimes I get more attached to the scale and sometimes less, but I think I do "holistically" better when I can create some distance from it ... easier said than done at times!

You're losing now! YAY! Maybe it is the thyroid meds kicking in, maybe it just takes a while. Congrats on your LIFTING too! 80# is awesome on bench press, I think my highest is 65#!!!!

My weight is weird No matter how much (avg. 2300 cals per day when focusing on building muscle) or little (avg 1700 cals per day trying to find maintenance) I've eaten this year, I bounce between about 129.5 and 123, the fasts haven't altered that to any great degree. When I began fasting, I was hanging out at my high weight. I'm only weighing on the morning I begin my fast, so that's my high weight for the week (I'm guessing!) With the b-day treats it actually went up, so probably water weight from the carbs, it was down last Sunday, this Sunday I'll have a 4-week pic, so that will be interesting to see. I don't worry about my weight as much as I used to since it's been so stable. I pretty much gave up on getting below 120. It will be interesting to see where my weight settles once I reach my BS goals. I'll take whatever that is. But I'm guessing it will be 5 to 10 pounds lower than it has been for the past, almost 2 years. When I get this size, it can take me MONTHS to lose even a few pounds so it's not really helpful to focus on the daily or even weekly fluctuations, it's just so slow.

Anyway, I am DETERMINED to keep my FBG below 90! EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! That is my goal!

It was 93 this morning ...

Thanks Shari! I've been trying to do this for years! I'm not there yet, but I'm thinking with the fasting I might actually reach my goals in a few months. Fingers crossed!

I did the master cleanse years ago I do find that every fast is a little different, eating mostly LCHF makes a huge difference. That early transition isn't as bad for me as it was years ago when I was eating LFHC. Yoga is awesome! And if you find a teacher in sync with you, that's the best!

Shari, don't say you flubbed LOL. I've tried to do NO SUGAR for almost 30 years. No success. I've just reinstated a more No S approach. Just keeping sweets to sometimes on S days ... Saturday, Sunday, and/or Special Days. It takes out the guilt, the recrimination, and paradoxically, "permission" diminishes the desire and pleasure!

I definitely suffer from the "all or nothing" mindset. It's actually very painful. No S has been the only thing that's helped me find balance. I ditched it because ... I wanted to go NO SUGAR again ... no matter how attractive I find that philosophy, I have to recognize it's not a constructive attitude for me

Deb, I don't know why but the harder my mind is on me, the worse the eating outcome is. I have to be very gently with myself when it comes to eating ... I guess all those years of being really harsh have taken their toll! I hate that. I really have a core belief that the more TUFF I am on me: Drill sergeant with exercise and eating, I'll succeed. OMG! How many times will I have to go back to that and FAIL THAT WAY, to accept: IT IS AS FAULTY as NO FAT!!!!! I find it to be a very addictive mindset, something so "morally self-righteous" about it!

Honestly, Ladies, I think this challenge that Shari started is awesome for all of us. Four months gives us time to experiment, tweak, learn, and KEEP CALM & KEEP ON
Old 10-03-2016, 06:36 AM   #214
12yrslater
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: 12yrslater
Stats: UGH
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Induction: 10/20/08

I found you guys!!!!

First and most importantly, may I please be allowed to apologize for going MIA on you all!?!? I feel like such an arse for not making the time to come in and check on you guys and chit chat if even for a few minutes....

I haven't had the time to go through the entire thread yet but scrolled quickly and saw Shari, Deb and Julie as well as some new faces!?

*hanging head down to the ground I come groveling at everyone's feet asking 1. For forgiveness 2. To be accepted back to your thread 3. To be intro'd to the new peeps

Sincerely, Me (pati)

MISS YOU GUYS TREMENDOUSLY!!!!
12yrslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:36 AM   #215
julieboolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12yrslater View Post

I found you guys!!!!

First and most importantly, may I please be allowed to apologize for going MIA on you all!?!? I feel like such an arse for not making the time to come in and check on you guys and chit chat if even for a few minutes....

I haven't had the time to go through the entire thread yet but scrolled quickly and saw Shari, Deb and Julie as well as some new faces!?

*hanging head down to the ground I come groveling at everyone's feet asking 1. For forgiveness 2. To be accepted back to your thread 3. To be intro'd to the new peeps

Sincerely, Me (pati)

MISS YOU GUYS TREMENDOUSLY!!!!
yay!! You're back!! We have missed you!! Of course we welcome you back with open arms!! Where have you been? What have you been doing!!? So happy to see this post today!! come catch us up on your life!! Are you still lifting? What are you up to these days? so happy to see you

Heather-you're one strong and committed girl! Impressive job with the fasting and self control! hopefully you'll be seeing the trend you want soon!! You're already so tiny (I say with envy) hopefully this reset will help you maintain with little effort eventualiy .

Shari-how did your Saturday weigh in go? Hope it was rewarding!

Deb-you too! Hope to hear the magic of keto continuing to work its wonders!!

So, I'm struggling. I am following the ETP recommendations, even the adjusted ones they just gave me, and I'm still up too high. My fat jeans are tight! yes, I know my thyroid is partly to blame, but I have to face facts, this ETP plan isn't working! And I'm not even up to my higher calorie goal yet! I am going to table it for future reference and do something else for a while. I'm not sure what yet...but I can't keep gaining like this! 176.2 today . I was in the 150's in May/June. I am stronger and that's great, but I'm too fat to bulk! I need to cut and see where I can get before I add more weight to my body

So, back to the drawing board. I'm gonna just run a calorie deficit for a while and see how that goes. I'll make sure my carbs are focused around my workouts and stay LC the rest of the time (maintaining a high protein level). I'm bummed and hate to quit, but my body isn't normal, and I'm not going to keep pretending it is. I want to run back to LC, but my lifting stinks when I do that. Sigh.

Anyway, that's my sad Monday update, .

Old 10-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #216
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pati!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! So good to see you! Of course you are always welcome!!! How are things going? Missed you!

Heather you are very wise. I have stopped being my own worst critic and trying for perfection and it works!! What a load off the mind to not try to do the plan perfectly all the time OR throw in the towel. Thank you thank you!!!

Shari, how are you doing my dear? Did you do a Saturday weigh in?

Julie, I feel your pain!!! I hope you find something that works, because going up the scale is not fun...... ever............. At least you are STRONG!! great job on your lifting!!

So I weighed in on Saturday, which was OCTOBER 1 new month, new reset...... There is something about the first day of the month that gets me excited to start fresh.. I was down 2.4. Ok so that is not a lot, but I am happy!! Because I have taken off the strict mind set I had.

That is part of the reason I could not stick to anything. Once I said, ok you are human and you are not going to do things 100% all the time, I was free. Again, Heather thank you for your words of wisdom.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:42 AM   #217
shari
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shari
Stats: 252/187/169-mini goal
WOE: low carb-Atkins '72
Start Date: restart- 8/9/16
Hey ladies! Pati!! So glad to see you again, of course you are welcomed...always! No need to apologize, life gets in the way so it's all good. Miss you, glad you're back. How are you?

Quick post to just say I'm here. I was thrown a major loop this past weekend, too long to get into details w/o me having to pull up a chair. Ugh, life is never just a bed of roses full of sunny days, right?, but I'll overcome this obstacle and look at what lesson I'm suppose to learn/grow from this. I'm looking at the overall blessings I have right now.

Deb, I lost my focus and stopped hhcg. I'm just trying to not gain right now until I'm able to work on this issue going on now. I was down 2 lbs last weigh-in so that's a plus. Congrats on your losses! Julie, I understand your frustrations and hope you're able to find the middle ground. Heather, I too thank you for your words of wisdom, you're such a great asset to our little group.
shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:58 AM   #218
julieboolie

Shari- on whatever is going on. Hope things smooth out and calm down. sorry for whatever it is that is happening, but love your resilience . Makntingin while you're in survival mode is a good plan!

Deb-nice drop! Wtg!! That's fast weight loss in my book . Hope things continue going well and yes, giving ourselves permission to live life and do the best we can is excellent!

Great weight training session yesterday, but wiped me out! I was at the gym 1.5 hours which is just too much. All my lifts are heavier than ever and require a little rest between sets...just eats up the time but I'm putting up PRs every session . I know I'm maxing out though and am looking at other lifting plans to transition to...I can't add 5lbs to the bar every session anymore. I look and feel more muscular which is awesome though

175.5 today, a but better. I really need to drop this 15-20lbs I've picked up this year. It's so frustrating when you're working hard, making the sacrifices and you gain freaking weight??!! What if I hadn't been trying? How big would I be? Stupid thyroid and hormones! Hoping to eventually get things turned around!

Anyway, happy Tuesday all

Old 10-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #219
ButterBaconBurgers
Senior LCF Member

Hey Ladies!

Update: I fasted S & M, monday was challenging. My numbers were 71 and 86. My FBG definitely appears to be trending downward. Right now I'm thrilled about that. Promised to give a pic of my weight, after fasting 3 days a week for 4 weeks (the last week more like 2.5 days!)

Here are the numbers:
Day I began: 129.6
end of week #1: 131.2
end of week #2: 131.0
end of week #3: 127.4
end of week #4: 127.8

The higher numbers were the results of b-day eating (water-weight from refined carbs) (I'm guessing!) Overall, not a huge shift. My low weights have been in the 122s. For now, I'll keep my stats as is. If/when my high weight drops below 123, I'll adjust. Otherwise, really not going to worry about it very much. Once I get below 130, any weight loss is notoriously slow.

My current goal is to string together 30-days of 90 or below FBG numbers ... my Friday treat broke that string! So I'll have to decide whether to continue it and have a more gradual insulin decrease or not. Hehe. Tuff choices. I kind of look at it as my inoculation against binging

Hi, Pati, I'm a newbie! Very grateful for this thread as a help in not plunging into the Fall-Winter-Holiday Food Abyss!

Julie, when I really put together all the information I could glean from Butter Bob Briggs and Dr. Fung, I was really angry. From my first teenage weight gain thru my longterm struggles with maintenance the lightbulb went off. I just got so angry I was just: I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore LOL. So I'm just funneling that anger at all the caca advice I've followed through the years to fuel, what I hope will create a huge shift and eventually (in a few months?!) make maintenance much easier, and finally get my BS back to really optimal levels.

And ... I'm probably shorter than you!!!!! 5 foot 3 1/2 inches.

What is ETP? Sorry it didn't work out I've tried so many things, starting with such optimism and it's such a bummer, disappointment when the results don't prove them out!

But with all your PRs that is awesome!!!! And super rewarding.

My lifting has suffered under this fasting regimen, that's for sure. It's such a toss up, trying to prioritize. I do love feeling strong, but I'm hoping once my BS gets stable I can begin building strength again. No matter. I won't quit lifting, even if I am lifting the wimpy pink weights

Hang in there. My worst days are the ones where I'm not seeing any results and I just want to give up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb294evr View Post
I have stopped being my own worst critic and trying for perfection and it works!! What a load off the mind to not try to do the plan perfectly all the time OR throw in the towel.
That is awesome! Plus your results! Sometimes I wonder if our cortisol drops when we just ease up on ourselves!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shari View Post
I was thrown a major loop this past weekend, too long to get into details w/o me having to pull up a chair. Ugh, life is never just a bed of roses full of sunny days, right?, but I'll overcome this obstacle and look at what lesson I'm suppose to learn/grow from this. I'm looking at the overall blessings I have right now.

I'm eating today so it's like
Old 10-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #220
12yrslater
Major LCF Poster!

Good afternoon beautiful ones...

Thanks for welcoming me back with opened arms!You are all so sweet.

I wish I could come back with such exciting news and updates but quite honestly, nothing much has been going on in my life. Same thing as when I left you guys...Work, family, gym, and a little socializing. Not even taking any classes right now. BORING!! (well...I am grateful but still boring)

Let's see, had a good time in the summer...I gained a bit of "beer drinking weight". However, I made sure to keep a close eye on the scale. Didn't go past 175 at all. I did see 176 and fasted a bit to get it back down. End of summer I decided to get it off...Been doing pretty much low carb and altho slow, it's off and I am back to my pre summer weight (more or less). I am 169 as of this morning. The gym has been hit or miss since summer as well...I'm trying my darnest to get back into it but have yet to be successful. I say I go about 2 x per week. I can't find the energy to get up early any more Oh well....Baby steps. I have started adding carbs EVERY Saturday which I call "free day" and oddly enough, that's making the scale move more...

My goal is an extra 15 lbs but people tell me I should stop....I wish I could get rid of this gut! :P And sagginess...I guess they may be right. I need to focus on tightening? Who knows...Sorry I am all over the place.

Personals to follow:

Shari - I hope whatever it is that everything turns out ok! MANY HUGS LOVE!!!

ButterBaconBurgers (OHMYGOODNESS typing that made my mouth water ) Thanks for the warm welcome and nice to meet you! So are you doing IF? Nice drops...

Deb - Congrats on dropping! Slow and steady...always wins the race. We all know this all too well!! You're doing Keto?

Julie - My weight training inspiration!! I want to get back to it like you....Send me good vibes dear!!

Did I miss anyone?

Old 10-05-2016, 06:42 AM   #221
SpunkiMama
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpunkiMama
Stats: sw:210 cw: 210 gw 126
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 9/28/2016
Quote:
The purpose of this challenge is for all who need to do a 'reset' with their weight loss journey, be it because you've been off plan (like me), want to start something new, or just want somewhere to go to daily for support and accountability. I have found in the past, I do my personal best when under some sort of 'challenge' so suggested to some other ladies I know on here about the possibility of us starting a new challenge to reset our goals, commitment, and personal challenge to do our best without cheats.

All are welcome as some may find that low carb does not work for them, but want the accountability and support a challenge could provide.

Thank you for starting this! I am pushing the reset button today!!! I need drop this weight!!!! I would "idealy" like to lose 40lbs by Jan 1 2017, One can try

SW: 210.5
CW: 210.5
GW: 130.0
SpunkiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:52 AM   #222
julieboolie

spunkimama!! Glad to have you here! You're rocking it and ambitious! Love it! I am from PA and see you're in Delaware? Shari is in MD so you've got some good East coast company. Is it a pretty Fall back there? I really miss it this time a year!! Hope you do well!!

Pati!!! sounds like you're doing great! Yay! Good job nailing the weight and keeping up the lifting! muscle for the win!! Don't go away again...stay with us .

Heather-it really is maddening when you get right down to it, isn't it? Not fair, not sustainable. I hope your fasting and bg pursuit locks it in your low set point and breaks the cycle . I have read so much about building muscle, and along with it your basal metabolic rate...and really hope to have that benefit eventually. I'm not lean enough to really maintain yet...and can't seem to get there and stay there - yet . We're working on it and likely will for a while to come . But, as I've recently been reminded, gaining as the alternative really sucks!
Good job sticking to it! I'm sure you enjoy your eating days for sure!

Deb-your grandson is so adorable! I know you know it, but he's just so cute!

Shari-Hope you are doing well!

Steady at 175.6 which is an old set point. Not where I want to be...but better than 177 earlier. Really hoping to be back to the 160's in a few weeks. I've got a nice trip to Utah to visit Zion and Bryce with our bffs the week before thanksgiving . It'd be nice to fit into my clothes!

Planning to lift today. Not much else excitement going on. Shooting for 150g of protein a day and 1600-1700 cals, and will likely have a higher day on the weekend. Not bad so far.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:34 AM   #223
shari
Major LCF Poster!

Hey everybody, glad to see new faces and 'older' ones returning. I'm mentally spent still, but recovering. I'm seeing blessings flow in abundantly so relief is here and very comforting right now. I'm thankful that I have a strong support system with G and close family to help me. I also found out through labwork that my TSH levels were rising again, 5.something, so my thyroid meds were upped yesterday...hopefully that'll help as well. I appreciate the prayers and positive thoughts right now. It's getting better day by day.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:33 AM   #224
SpunkiMama
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpunkiMama
Stats: sw:210 cw: 210 gw 126
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 9/28/2016
Wake Up!!!

Good Morning!!!

~~ Thank you Julie for the Welcome!! Yes I see we all live fairly close! That's pretty neat

Ok People time to Grab your water, start your day!!

Hope everyone has a good -on plan- day!!

SW: 210.5
CW: 210.5
GW: 130.0
SpunkiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:51 AM   #225
julieboolie

Shari- glad things are getting better and glad you're counting your blessings! One day at a time! Upping your meds should help too!

Spunki-atta girl! Up and at em!

Settled at 176.1 this morning after a heavy day yesterday at the gym...I can live with that. Plannnig a lighter day today and would love to see 174 by the weeeknd. I know it's not real weight loss, and hope it's not real weight gain either...but I've got 5 weeks unitl my trip and hope to drop 8-10lbs back off by then. I really was hoping my thyroid meds would help with this plan...and see the dr in a few weeks for follow up. Hope for some good news on that front.

I must admit, I'm toying with running back to LC. I wonder if once my thyroid is better/treated if it'll work again for me? Maybe that's why it stopped working for me? It sure, but I've gone back to LC many times over the years and successfully maintianined but not been able to lose on it. Hmm, options to consider .

Have a good day all!

Old 10-06-2016, 11:13 AM   #226
ButterBaconBurgers
Senior LCF Member

My FBG was 78 this morning!!!! So far I'm on the longest run of low numbers since I started all this in June! Wow! NOTHING has worked to bring down my FBG! Nothing! For a decade!!!! I guess Dr. Fung is right. I guess I really needed those few longer water fasts, to drop the stevia, and to STOP SNACKING! LOL! I'm doubly committed to continuing my 1 2-day fast per week through October. When it's really tough, I tell myself: Your insulin is getting lower, you're clearing all that excess sugar from your body and cells

Pati, maintaining is such an excellent achievement!

Yes, I'm doing Fung-style IF. I can't do OMAD/eating window. It has never worked for me

Hi Spunkimama! I was so glad to find this group too! Yes, start that day with a glass of water!

Julie, all you east coast ladies! I'm in the Inland Northwest. We're getting some awesome fall color this week. None in PA? I would think ya'll would get some too. But I guess nothing compares to Northeast?

But you'll be coming over to our neck of the woods soon? I kind of consider Utah our neck of the woods, lol!

LC is a dilemma. I was violently against LC for decades, hehe! So un-sexy, lol. Truthfully, I didn't really buy in until I added the HF part. Emotionally, it made me feel so much better, and my husband, who I've been married to for 18 awesome years noticed the change in my mood and temperament immediately. That's been part of the reason I've finally been able to maintain a lower BW for almost two years. Although, the first two years of high fat I gained a couple of times. At that time, I had no idea about LCHF, VLC, or keto, I stumbled on those later, so in the beginning I was only gradually reducing my carbs. Anyway, I get the LC-Ugh! I still have psychological backwash...

Hi, Shari. You sound strong and centered, the eye of the storm

KEEP CALM & CARRY ONE
Old 10-07-2016, 03:39 AM   #227
shari
Major LCF Poster!

Hey ladies, I'm making myself post vs. becoming a lurker...that never worked in the past, and I'm glad you all are around. I really, really appreciate the good wishes and support. By chance, it worked out that I've been fasting this week because it's funny that my curveball situation kinda took my appetite away (however briefly, LOL) and it came down to I was eating once a day. By the time I ate, I just ate what I wanted, for instance I ate a rye bread sandwich and potato chips twice for dinner...simple, easy, no thinking. I am down a little bit of weight from doing this. I'm going to continue and see how it goes; fasting is good for deep thinking and direction I believe, and it helps physically too (go Heather! ).

Spunkimama

Julie~ I feel ya; low carb never fails with instant water weight loss and it does well for maintaining for sure. I think it just takes time for it to work in ways we want to see (scale going down consistently) after awhile though since our bodies are used to it. I'm still a believer

Pati~ congrats on maintaining so well in lower numbers! I understand wanting to keep going lower to satisfy your personal goal vs. what others think.

Heather~ it's working! Congrats on staying consistent and diligent

Deb!
Old 10-07-2016, 07:08 AM   #228
julieboolie

Quote:
Hey ladies, I'm making myself post vs. becoming a lurker...that never worked in the past, and I'm glad you all are around. I really, really appreciate the good wishes and support. By chance, it worked out that I've been fasting this week because it's funny that my curveball situation kinda took my appetite away (however briefly, LOL) and it came down to I was eating once a day. By the time I ate, I just ate what I wanted, for instance I ate a rye bread sandwich and potato chips twice for dinner...simple, easy, no thinking. I am down a little bit of weight from doing this. I'm going to continue and see how it goes; fasting is good for deep thinking and direction I believe, and it helps physically too (go Heather! ).

Spunkimama

Julie~ I feel ya; low carb never fails with instant water weight loss and it does well for maintaining for sure. I think it just takes time for it to work in ways we want to see (scale going down consistently) after awhile though since our bodies are used to it. I'm still a believer

Pati~ congrats on maintaining so well in lower numbers! I understand wanting to keep going lower to satisfy your personal goal vs. what others think.

Heather~ it's working! Congrats on staying consistent and diligent

Deb!
Well, Omad has quite a following and being free to eat whatever you want in that window is fun too! And, it's working? Go for it! Hope the situation is resolving and things are quieting down for you . Fasting and praying go hand in hand! Hope you have a good day and weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBaconBurgers View Post
My FBG was 78 this morning!!!! So far I'm on the longest run of low numbers since I started all this in June! Wow! NOTHING has worked to bring down my FBG! Nothing! For a decade!!!! I guess Dr. Fung is right. I guess I really needed those few longer water fasts, to drop the stevia, and to STOP SNACKING! LOL! I'm doubly committed to continuing my 1 2-day fast per week through October. When it's really tough, I tell myself: Your insulin is getting lower, you're clearing all that excess sugar from your body and cells

Pati, maintaining is such an excellent achievement!

Yes, I'm doing Fung-style IF. I can't do OMAD/eating window. It has never worked for me

Hi Spunkimama! I was so glad to find this group too! Yes, start that day with a glass of water!

Julie, all you east coast ladies! I'm in the Inland Northwest. We're getting some awesome fall color this week. None in PA? I would think ya'll would get some too. But I guess nothing compares to Northeast?

But you'll be coming over to our neck of the woods soon? I kind of consider Utah our neck of the woods, lol!

LC is a dilemma. I was violently against LC for decades, hehe! So un-sexy, lol. Truthfully, I didn't really buy in until I added the HF part. Emotionally, it made me feel so much better, and my husband, who I've been married to for 18 awesome years noticed the change in my mood and temperament immediately. That's been part of the reason I've finally been able to maintain a lower BW for almost two years. Although, the first two years of high fat I gained a couple of times. At that time, I had no idea about LCHF, VLC, or keto, I stumbled on those later, so in the beginning I was only gradually reducing my carbs. Anyway, I get the LC-Ugh! I still have psychological backwash...

Hi, Shari. You sound strong and centered, the eye of the storm

KEEP CALM & CARRY ONE
yay! That's a long time to stay with the fasting and finally seeing your numbers reflect it!!! Congratulations!!
I USED to live in PA, but I'm in AZ now, 11 years now,. We don't have much of a Fall sadly. I hope when I'm in Utah in November there'll still be a few leaves left, but suspect they'll all be down by then .
I love LC! And you're right, fat makes it work!! LC and LF is misery! It took a lot for me to really try Atkins back in 2003, but it's worked better than anything else I ever did! It just doesn't help me lose anymore.
My real problem is that I've never stayed LC long enough, while lifting heavy, to really get more energy when I lift...I've read that several lifters manage to lift well keto, but most of what I read supports glycogen replenishment of the muscles. for now I've settled on a cycling type of approach-LC on rest days, and moderate carbs (centered around my workout) on lifting days. At this point I'm just hoping to stop gaining and start seeing a slow consistent loss. I'll take 0.5/week if it's legit, .

So, down to 174.8 today, which is encouraging. Stayed VLC yesterday and wasn't hungry. I was around 1000 cals too, which is low for me. At least I'm not continuing to gain, still lifting heavy and starting to feel better! Hoping to continue being less foggy headed and peppier!

And finally, my exciting news! we got our Foster Care license yesterday!! After 8 months of training, paperwork and waiting, we are licensed!!! So, we're on the list and could get a call any time for a placement. Scary and excited!! .

Have a good weekend! Dd(16) has a volleyball tournament today and tomorrow so that's what I'll be doing.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #229
ButterBaconBurgers
Senior LCF Member

80 this morning! Sorry, but this is like when my husband's blood pressure dropped. It's just amazing to feel after so many years, you actually do have some control over your body!!!!

I have decided to go on with my Friday treats ... bites nails, lol. I know my FBG will be up tomorrow morning as a result, but I'm going to keep riding the same wave that has been bringing me success ...

One of my other self-destructive habits: whenever I achieve success I think the solution is to become more rigid, haha! Not going to fall into that pit again!!!!!

Shari, that's so fascinating that you kind of naturally flipped into fasting!

That's how it is for me too, fasting is not just a physical experience!

Julie, Ah, AZ. We lived in SoCal for a decade ... the last 3 years there it practically never rained! Prior to our last move, I lived in South/southwest my whole life, basically two seasons ...

Yes, that is the conundrum when lifting. To reach that point when you lift great on LCHF. It's just not got consistent for me yet, either. Sometimes I go in fasted and feel like a monster! Other times, so puny I'm curious to see how this current approach is going to affect my lifting. I had a good session this morning. But lately it's been like a wave, up and down.

My husband and I've really gone around with the glycogen replenishment. When I was in the muscle gaining contest Jan - April this year I dabbled with TKD, and increased protein intake. When my protein was too high, to the level my trainer recommend I felt AWFUL! I mean AWFUL! It didn't do much for me. My experiment with carbs before, after and before and after workouts didn't do much, either. I can go in the day after carbing up and be really strong but it doesn't last.

YAY! on your progress and hanging in there

Are you going to foster kids? Wow, my hat is off to you. What an amazing thing to do!

A volleyball tournament sounds FUN!!!!!

TGIF!

Thank you all for being here!
Old 10-08-2016, 12:36 PM   #230
ButterBaconBurgers
Senior LCF Member

Quick check-in. My FBG was 90 this morning! OMG! Something has really changed in my body!
Old 10-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #231
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry I have not posted! I am currently babysitting my Grandson and have about 5 minutes.. Thank you Julie, he is adorable but little ones need constant attention at least right now he does! Good luck when you get your baby!!

I weighed in this morning down another 1.8 which is fine. In fact it is more than I have lost in a long time 2 weeks in a row.... I think it is helping that I stay off the scale during the week. I am eating kinda what I want have stopped the HCG for now because I am almost out. So the losses are from eating less food, less often. Still pretty Low Carb also. So something is working and probably taking the pressure off myself is what helped. (again thanks Heather for reminding me what has always been my problem!)

Pati, wow so you have been doing so well not doing anything!.. FANTASTIC!! So good to see you joining us.

Shari, I was sorry to hear you were having troubles and I hope things are better now.... there really is something about focusing on other things that keeps us not even thinking about food. When I get anxious or nervous about something I cannot eat a bite. Not the way I want to do it, but it is one way...... Thinking of you!!

Welcome Spunkimama! The more the merrier..

Heather congrats on your bg!! That is great how it is lowered so much now and it must be the fasting!! Great job!

Julie, sounds like you are on to something that fits you more for now.... it is just so tough to gain when you are doing what you are supposed to... so happy you got licensed!! Can't wait to see what your future holds.. babies are all that and more!!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Back to kiddo!
Old 10-10-2016, 01:27 PM   #232
12yrslater
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Monday (and I only say this cuz it's almost over and done with )

Thanks for the kind words you guys...I really appreciate the support. And while I am maintaining, I would LOVE to get rid of 15 lbs off.

I'm pretty stuck (I am not sure if "stuck" is an appropriate word to use but :eh So I am wondering if to get the extra weight off I should go back to JUDDD. It always worked for me but I am doing ok on LC. At least I'm not bloated.
Scale is up a tad as expected seeing as Saturday was an up day for carbs. I didn't over do it but I don't think upping my carbs on one day and having one meal (it was because of the events) that it helps? I dunno...I'm wandering all over the place right now in my brain but sticking really well to lc (I am well below the 20 grams ofcarbs a day) .

Zumba tonight and really looking forward to it. Tomorrow morning (I PRAY I GET UP) I plan to lift.

So Deb - you're doing a round? IMPRESSIVE! KUTGW!!

BBB (sorry I can't spell out your name for it make me mouth water ) - what is FBG stand for?

Julie - YAY!!! Nice # on the scale!!! BTW That is so awesome about your foster car license approval! How exciting!!! I know every state is different but was the process difficult? I've always wanted to do it. DH is not quite ready but....Who knows. Maybe in the near future? Anyway YAY!!!! SO happy for you!!

SM!

Shari - First, I'm hoping things are better by you but I know you are one really strong woman! You got this!!! AS far as the "fasting" goes. Kudos! That's always nice too. It's very freeing to be honest with you. Not to have to think of food too much. There's some soul cleansing that occurs with that. GL!!!

Well, I hope I caught everyone and I would love to wish you all a wonderful start of the week!!!
Old 10-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #233
julieboolie

Heather- for progress on your numbers!!! I'm so excited for you! I get the patience and persistence it's taken to get to this point...super happy for you!!
I've lifted LC before and could maintain my strength but not much progress. In a deficit and hoepfyloy losing I can live with that, but I love seeing my lifts improve! Progressive overload is the key, and I can't do that LC . I can barely do it eating carbs! . It always comes back to what I want righ then. Losing fat and gaining muscle are usually at odds with one another .
Thanks, yes, we're fostering new babies, at least for our first placement. Excited to see what God has planned and thankful to be in a position to be able to help. Lots of love available to these little guys.

Deb-he's growing up so fast! What an absolute love bug he looks to be! The toddler hears are super busy ones! Enjoy it, call it cardio . You're doing great with your woe. Good steady losses are impressive!! Kutgw! And we're excited to get our first placement, and trying to be patient!

Pati-thanks! I'm plugging away with my lifting despite my back and neck issues...making decent progress. It usually takes about 6 months to get licensed in most states, with 10-11 weeks of training classes, etc. paperwork galore! It's been 8 months for us, mostly because our licensing worker was slow. We'd talked about it for years. I'm excited to finally be at this point but having a hard time picturing it! Can't wait!

Scale hovering around 176 lbs. I'm not gaining anymore which is good. So frustrated to be stuck up in the 170's again, and even more frustrated to be thankful it's not Worse! So ridiculous! Just hanging in there and lifting while I wait for my meds to stabilize. Stupid thyroid!

Researching my best options for weight loss. Not good of course. LC further suppresses thyroid, fasting is bad for thyroid too. Great! the only 2 things that have worked for me! Once I'm "healthy" and stable (ha!) I'll work on a deficit again and add in some cardio and hope it'll slowly help.

Lifting going ok. Squats at 160lbs now-working on form and depth, WHTs are up to 220lbs , bench doing well at 80lbs today. Good progress for me!

Old 10-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #234
ButterBaconBurgers
Senior LCF Member

Hey ladies, broke my 2-day fast this morning with brie & walnuts! Gosh, I was so ready to eat, lol. So my goal: for years: has been to have FBG 90 or below for 30 days ... 10 days!!!!

Hi, Deb! Oooh, being with your grandson must be awesome! I'll tell you something, I don't know what I would have done without my grandmother. She was literally my saving grace!!!! Grandmothers TOTALLY ROCK!!

progress, Progress, PROGRESS!!!!

(thanks on the congrats!)

Pati, FBG is fasting blood glucose

Did you get up and lift this morning? Hope so

Julie, thanks! it has taken some patience and persistence ... and you know, the old tweaking

The lifting is a challenge. I guess as I've gotten older, I've just acquiesced to a certain degree. Maybe not a good thing, but I just haven't really been able to gains tons of strength. I did do a 120# hip thrust this morning (almost my BW) but I'm also a turtle. I wonder if I'm consistent over time if I'll get stronger? One of my problems has probably been my stopping & starting. This year has been my most consistent.

Oh, I finished the Strong Glutes BB program this morning! That was a thrill I'm going to start with the GG program next, but do some tweaks on it.

Have you ever done one of Bret's 30 day challenges? I was eying that, but the truth is I think I get a better response with heavier weights (for me). I read a post of his that some people respond better to high reps, low weights and some to higher weights, lower reps. I did a lot of high reps, BW this summer with his BW program and even just a little bit of heavier weights really seems to make a difference, where the high reps, low weight/BW ... NADA!

YAY on your lifts!!! You are doing awesome!

Sad to hear both fasting and LC is bad for thyroid That's really rough.

Wow, on the foster babies. That is extremely special. What a gift to the world.

As always, I'm like cause I eat ... and have coffee today!

Shari thinking about you

Thank you all for being here!
Old 10-12-2016, 07:08 AM   #235
shari
Major LCF Poster!

Hey ladies,

Julie~ didn't know that fasting and LC is bad for thyroid issues. Ugh, it's just a touch situation all around. Glad you're no longer gaining, that's rough mentally...I really do hope you're able to find what will truly work for you. Sending good thoughts your way!

Heather~ Wow, that wonderful that your FBS has been within a great range! I'm still in total awe of you going days without eating, fasting does bring changes...mentally and physically!!

Deb~ DGS is a doll...getting so big and such a cutie. I'm sure he keeps you busy. Congrats on the consistent losses!

Pati~ so glad to see you posting again, don't be a stranger. I understand your personal goals vs. what others are saying. I always go the way of what works for you and your heart. Others will adapt.

I'm doing much, much better...thanks again for the well wishes. Thankfully I'd already had plans to hang out with friends this past Saturday that I couldn't back out of, it was very good for my soul. TOM and hanging out this past weekend brought my appetite back, full force! I haven't gotten on the scale, know what to do to clean it up.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:10 AM   #236
julieboolie

Heather-I never did a 30 day challenge. Hmm. I think I do better on heavier weights and lower reps too, but it's good to have some variety (which I haven't had in a few months come to think of it). I'm joining a new gym which open December 1 (supposedly) and they'll have Les Mills classes. I can do a body pump class there (high reps, lower weight mostly cardio in my mind) to add some variety. I'm not looking for bigger muscles (hypertrophic range is higher reps) but love getting stronger!
Woohoo on the FBG numbers! And on getting to eat . Coffee is my friend!! Do you have that on your fasting days? That would make it more enjoyable I'm sure .
Congrats on finishing the BB program! I did Gg earlier this year, liked it a lot. I still love the WHTs and keep them in my stronglifts routine . Building a butt from nothing! woohoo!
You're doing great! Kutgw!!

Shari-glad things are going better! And so glad you enoyed the weekend and are right back to your plan! Sorry to drop the thyroid stuff on you...it's a definite challenge to lose when hypo! Ideally when meds are optimized and metabolism is regulated (right meds are the key) it is possible to lose. But from what I'm reading it's almost impossible to have real, permanent losses until then . Sigh.

Deb and patti! And izzy if you're reading along .

I was up and discouraged yesterday. No energy, not losing, and bummed. Sigh. It's been a full month on the synthroid with no real improment in my symptoms . I go for blood work in 2 weeks and a follow up. Regardless of the test results, I hope she will listen to mh symptoms and maybe add some T3 or try the natural thyroid for me. We'll see, .
Meanwhile, I stuck to 1500cals yesterday, hit my 145g of protein and kept my 33% rations for fat, carbs and protein. I'm trying to eliminate gluten too. Down to 174.6 today which is encouraging at least .

Lots of errands to run, Kid's to drop off, etc. . Happy hump day!

Old 10-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #237
ButterBaconBurgers
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm doing much, much better...thanks again for the well wishes. Thankfully I'd already had plans to hang out with friends this past Saturday that I couldn't back out of, it was very good for my soul.
Awesome, so glad to hear that, Shari!

Julie, I think I'm gonna save the 30-day challenge for deep winter, i.e, if we get a period of prolonged snow when it's harder to get to the gym in the wee hours, The only difference between that and what I've been doing over most of the summer and early fall would be the frequency, so I think I'm ready to hit weights more consistently now. Plus, it makes me feel good

A new gym! That will be fun!!!!

I don't do coffee on my fasts, go a little hard core w/water only. That's whats given me the good results. My husband and many do have coffee and a variety of liquids on fast days. So ... boy do I look forward to my coffee on my eating days, I'm like

80 today. Sorry, I'm just still in awe. For years, I could hit a low number randomly, but never day after day ...

So I'm going to put tougher a GG type program, but using the exercises that seem to get best results for my body. Admittedly, I have a butt, i.e. no one's ever accused me of having a flat ass. But honestly, I love it, and love it being more bubble-y! I also do hack squats regularly which Brett doesn't include in his programs, but they do the best for my back, i.e. if I do hack squats once or twice a week: Zero back pain. So I'm hooked on those for life.

For my upper body, I'm going to try Grease-the-Groove pushups and pull-ups on alternate days. My next big goal: Do a pull-up from a dead hang.

I'm really sad to hear you were discouraged yesterday. This thyroid stuff is truly a mystery to me. I know many who've dealt with it and it seems to be a real challenge, throwing a wrench in just about everything. Maybe they'll switch your meds or dosage?

I guess the priority is getting through the next 2 weeks until then. Maybe just focusing on the things that make you feel best, whatever that means in the way of working out and eating, etc.

Ditto all, on the happy hump day!
Old 10-12-2016, 12:06 PM   #238
julieboolie

Heather-that is hard core!! I can do almost anything but not give up my coffee!! go girl! Enjoy those numbers! Soooo happy it's all coming together for you!!! Really impressive to be finally reaping what you've sown!
What's grease the groove push ups? I hate push-ups, but they're good! I'd also love to do a full pull up eventually...but my body weight is too high relative to my upper body strength . You're lucky to always have had a bubble butt...I'm the flat tush queen over here! But I'm finally getting some roundness back there, which, incidentally, is contributing to the tighter jeans but in a good way , but it's taken a real effort! I have a feeling I should be adding in lunges, but I just hate them so!! So I'll stick with SL through January and add leg press, calves, WHTs, shoulder raises (my favorite) etc accessories as I can. For now it's working.

Like heather suggested, I'm just gonna do what I can to get through the next 2 weeks. If I can stop gaining and keep lifting I'll be content. I'm trying to keep carbs in my diet, but control them. Not as much fun as it could be.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #239
julieboolie

Hey resetters!! I hope you're all doing well!,

I've decided to go back to LC, kinda. I'm going to do carb nite again...for those who don't know what that is, it's LC with one evening a week where you have carbs. It is like the best of both worlds, keeping my hormones happy (supposedly) and still getting to do LC and hopefully lose some weight! I decided that if LC downregulates my thyroid and hormones, it's not much worse than I already have, right? Hoping (I know, not rationally) that a change in meds will help eventually.

So, that's today's update. Spurred on by 177.7 today on the scale after pasta last night. I'm definitely a gluten sensitive girls these days, but also know I do well on LC. So, I'm gonna do what has worked for me in the past and hope for the best. Nothing else is working anymore.

hope you're all doing well! Happy weekend!

Old 10-14-2016, 08:49 AM   #240
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great Choice Julie!!!

I am doing well, but again so busy my head is spinning...

I will weigh in tomorrow but I have been reading the main lobby for some inspiration and found a thread that really makes me think it is about me!..

Check it out! http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=884417

Heather I see you have posted your thoughts in there also! Really a good read and is making me think even more how much I have to get this under control.

All is well, just plugging along. Thanks girls for you compliments on my DGS! He is a charmer and such a sweet soul..

Hope everyone is doing well, I will have more time tomorrow to catch up I hope! Enjoy your Friday!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aiden batman.jpg (24.7 KB, 4 views)