Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2016, 06:25 PM   #31
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/143.8/140-145 5'6"
WOE: Fast-5 intermittent fasting
Start Date: January 2003
I fasted until 4:30!! Except for 1 T of half/half in my coffee this morning. I bought some heavy cream to use instead from now on. I can't believe I really measured the cream, lol. Then I ate with some friends for Taco Tuesday on Wednesday. We got all our details worked out for our trip and we're all excited. The guys are probably really going to miss us! Haha.

We got signed up for our Medicare Advantage plan today. It will be effective as of Oct 1. We got the same plan my parents always had and Dad still has. Humana Gold Plus. I hope it's as good to us as it was to them.

Food can wait!
There. Will. Always. Be. Food.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2016, 06:29 PM   #32
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
Yay for fasting until 4:30!!

Sandy is that an HMO?
Old 09-07-2016, 06:58 PM   #33
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Yeah for making it until 4:30!

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:29 AM   #34
Buffy45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Fast 5
Start Date: 10/31/15
Sandy, on the advantage plan. Your parents were very satisfied with it, covering their drugs, free to choose their doctors, etc?
Old 09-08-2016, 06:33 AM   #35
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

When I looked up that plan Humana only showed me an HMO by that exact name. And maybe that's what is in my state and might be different in your states.
DH has 11 months +/- until Medicare and I'm doing a little studying. Interested in everyone's experiences.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:28 AM   #36
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, it is an HMO but every single one of our Drs are on it, including our dentist and chiropractor. Plus I asked about a couple of other drs that I know are good and they were on it too. You can go to their website and search for Drs without being a member.
My dad is now 86 and they've had this same plan since they first went on Medicare. All through all my mom's terrible illnesses and hospitalizations and all through my dad's 3 joint replacements and colon cancer surgery. Never a problem paying.
Some areas don't have it so you're lucky if it's available there in Tulsa. Just outside of KC, in what is considered a suburb but in a different county, it its not available.

I dropped a teeny tiny bit this morning. Of course I wanted a 5 pound whoosh!!! Lol, that didn't happen. I'm going for it again today.

Food can wait!
Old 09-08-2016, 07:29 AM   #37
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

Judy, what was the price quoted in your state? We'll pay $34 each per month. And that's going down $2 next year!

Food can wait!
Old 09-08-2016, 07:36 AM   #38
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

I didn't get that far. We have Community Care right now which is also an HMO.
Might stay on that for Medicare because all of his docs are on that including Dean McGee.
My mom is on Community Care and during her giant surgery and after care she had no glitches.

I intend to keep checking.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:31 PM   #39
Buffy45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We have had Mutual of Omaha Medicare supplemental since going on Medicare. Very satisfied as we have no co pay on anything, doctors, hospital, etc. it does not cover drugs. And, although it started out fairly cheap it goes up like twice a year. I think with an advantage plan you do have co pays but, there is a cap on the amount of out of pocket you pay each year. Seems if you don't have to use it much, you come out way ahead, if you have to use a lot, your cap is something like $5,000-$6,000. And it covers some on drugs, not sure how many or how much. Sandy, when your Mom was going through all that, do you know if they had those total amounts of copayment? I am looking to make a change since ours keeps going up so much.
On another note. I am back to thinking about doing some LC baking, mug cakes, etc. what is the latest and greatest on sweeteners and flours? Best prices on almond flour? Any good bran type muffin recipes from our cooks and bakers, you know who you are lol.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #40
CarolynF

Sandy....just a quick question...will that supplement kick in when you are in Texas or is it just for KCity? That is an amazing price!!!

We have BC/BS of Kansas plan F...it covers everything. Drugs are Humana, and seem fine since I don't have that many drugs.

I like erythritol, powdered and use a very concentrated liquid Splenda. Honeyville is my favorite almond flour. How about a flaxseed muffin?

Had my meeting and now I can relax.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:13 PM   #41
Buffy45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, the HV almond flour was my choice in the past, kind of forgot how pricey it was . I do like Swerve, especially the powdered and liquid Splenda of course.
Yes, I need to look at the flaxseed muffins, that is what I was trying to recall.
Ordered some Pork Clouds from nertrition and meant to order the pepper ones, got the hableno pepper ones by mistake . Haven't tried them yet but I don't like hot spicy things, hope I like these, I got 6 bags.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #42
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

6 bags of spicy??
I hope you like them too! LOL

I checked on BCBS Oklahoma and it's about $200/month for plan F - which is the plan we'd want. Whatever happens to you, no matter what, the amount you pay is $0.
But Community Care HMO is about $470/year ($40 a month).
There are co-pays with CC, but not with BCBS Plan F.

My mom did a 3-year comparison and found Community Care was cheaper for her. All her doctors are there anyway.
Tulsa's not that big.

From the "to each his own" department, I will not use flax again.
It is 800 times more estrogenic than soy.
Doesn't mean every single other person on the earth can't use it, but I don't want to use it or serve it to my menfolks. LOL
Judy Barnes Baker has some excellent, short articles on her carbwars blog about it if you're interested.

Honeyville is my favorite almond flour, too.
If you're in a hurry, Bob's Red Mill almond flour is probably available wherever you grocery shop and could tide you over. I saw Costco now in Tulsa had a 3lb. bag of Honeyville for less than I'd pay Honeyville. So if you have Costco close, it might be worth the trip. Pick up a little coconut flour because some of the best mixes use a little coconut flour.

I always always keep a big baggie in my refrigerator of Jen Eloff's Splendid GF Mix.
I double or triple or more:

Splendid Gluten-Free Bake Mix
1-2/3 cups almond flour
3/4 cup oat flour (NOT oat fiber)
2 Tbsp. coconut flour

Doubled
Almond flour: 3-1/3 cups
Oat flour: 1-1/2 cups
Coconut Flour: 1/4 cup

Tripled
Almond flour: 5 cups
Oat flour: 2-1/4 cups
Coconut Flour: 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp.

Add 1 tsp. unflavored gelatin per 1 cup mix. (often unnecessary)
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did you get rid of all your LC voodoo things (oat fiber, glucomannan, powdered egg whites)?
I still frequently use Ouizoid's Better Than Flour mix. If I were making a mug cake, that's what I'd use.
I think you just add a little liquid of any kind, chocolate or whatever flavor, and sweetener and it's ready in about 1 minute.

At a minimum get some almond flour.

I'm with Carolyn on the erythritol (Swerve or in Wal-Mart you can find "Pyure" NOT the baking blend which contains sugar).
Pyure is pretty much Swerve at a better price.
I have to powder it myself, though.
And Swerve is pretty much erythritol with a little stevia added.

I use a blend of sweeteners every single time I sweeten anything.
I never use only one thing I nearly ALWAYS use at least 3.

I buy Xylosweet at Whole Foods and powder it myself.
It's $20 or so for a big bag but it lasts about a year, I think.

I use EZ Sweetz (make it myself - I bought the powdered sucralose) in almost everything as part of my sweeteners.

Carolyn is obviously the go-to for this, so of course I talked too much.

I really really really like Jennifer Eloff's version of the "miracle dough" that's going around the internet. It really acts like a pastry dough - pizza dough or similar.
Happy to point you to it if you want it.

Last edited by JMCM1; 09-08-2016 at 02:27 PM..
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:30 PM   #43
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

Buffy, i don't think mom ever went over the cap iv anything except drugs and that was always way late in the year. And that's only because she was always on the "latest and greatest" (most expensive) drugs there was. That's how she got to the donut hole. My dad rarely goes over and pays very little for all of his medicine except the Pradaxa.
As for coverage in TX, only emergent care, but we wouldn't be going in for anything except emergent care down there anyway. And our drugs will still be covered. All generics are free if ordered through mail so only the name brands add to your total for the year.

Food can wait!
Old 09-08-2016, 06:31 PM   #44
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

I fasted until 6 today!!

Food can wait!
Old 09-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #45
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Yippee!!

I made it until 5PM. Had a little bowl of broth with some chicken chunks in it and that held me until a little later dinner.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:25 AM   #46
CarolynF

Yeah, girls!

I never realized that about flax! I use it on occasion for a pie crust for a graham cracker taste.

In this tiny corner of KS, we have BC BS because we might have to go to Missouri or Oklahoma for health care on a regular basis so our insurance has to cover a wider range.
You two are lucky to have such good local care for a cheap price. Our BC is about $160 a month, but goes up every year.

Great recipes for flour, Judy. I need to make some muffins. Quest bars have become my breakfast food most of the time.

Scarlet is liking highschool.. She stresses out because she wants to get A's...she is thankful that she isn't playing tennis. (Me, too).

Rainy day here.... Hopefully my allergy shots arrived at my local clinic. It has been a month of craziness.

Fasting ladies: do you take your med/supplements when you have your first meal?

Old 09-09-2016, 05:45 AM   #47
CindyCRNA
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
A favorite place to sleep a few years ago:

My Avi is my horse Victor and me Heritage Park horse trials 5/16

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Hadel Briles
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:20 AM   #48
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Pooter
Nothing cuter than the cat in charge of the cable box.

I doubt flax "once in a awhile" would hurt at all.
I was shocked how much estrogen it can impart.
My DDIL makes a smoothie every morning with a big handful of flax.
And Piper has some of it. And I imagine sometime soon Liam will, too.
My tongue is bloody from biting it.

We have almost 1" here. Love the rain.
Eloise got a shot yesterday. Her allergies have driven us all to the point of distraction for the last 2 months. I am praying for a good hard winter and I hope Gary gets to use his snow-thingie and we all get sick of snow and we have a less horrible allergy season!

Eloise ended up in urgent care Saturday evening - did I tell you all that? She acted like she was going to die. Just laid out, little response. Not going outside, not eating, just laid out like a big pig. (don't tell her I said that)

Urgent care couldn't find a thing wrong, and of course she perked up trying to get us OUT of urgent care. Blood work was stellar (she eats LC Paleo LOL).

Turns out about a week before, her itchiness had gotten so bad, her doggie dermatologist said we could increase her medicine and I guess it affected her.
Stopped it and non-medical might-kill-her Judy gave her some low-dose steroids instead. She perked right up and her itchiness was quelled.

Saw her doggie dermatologist who suggested this shot and so far so very good.
She thinks she needs to eat the house, though, because STEROIDS!
I am trying to be funny, but we were worried. She's a huge brat no thanks to us, but we really love her so much.

I'm working all day doing title for a friend as a favor. He was the first person to hire me and was very patient and kind and funny. He is long retired and now needs a little work done, and I could not be more happy to do this for him. He and his wife are dear dear friends. They both knew both Bowe and me separately before we were married.

I take all my supplements with my first meal, Carolyn. Even if it's 6:30 PM, that's when I take them. Sometimes I'll break my fast with a small snack (a couple or 3 spoonsful of cottage cheese or something) even if I don't intend to eat dinner for another hour or so. It has not been a problem with me so far. Hasn't kept me from falling asleep. I had heard Vitamin D could rev you up a little, but I do not have that happening to me.

I take another handful of things right before bed (magnesium again, vitamin C again, CoQ10, blood pressure, melatonin).
Old 09-09-2016, 07:29 AM   #49
Buffy45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, of course Cindy, a nice warm spot! I know you are missing Pooter, it is so hard at first.

Judy and Carolyn, thanks for the help on products, so mostly the things I was using and I do still have a lot of them. Some things in the freezer, I think the nut flours are what I need. Not a member at Costco so will just order the flour.

Picking up Bobby & Ava from school today, then taking them to Bobbys flag football game. We will go somewhere fun for dinner, then home to spend the night. It is parents 10th anniversary.

Hot again today and then cooler for the next few days, I am ready.

Going to see Sully tomorrow at the movies, love most anything Tom Hanks does.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:38 AM   #50
CindyCRNA
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Oh, of course Cindy, a nice warm spot! I know you are missing Pooter, it is so hard at first.

Judy and Carolyn, thanks for the help on products, so mostly the things I was using and I do still have a lot of them. Some things in the freezer, I think the nut flours are what I need. Not a member at Costco so will just order the flour.

Picking up Bobby & Ava from school today, then taking them to Bobbys flag football game. We will go somewhere fun for dinner, then home to spend the night. It is parents 10th anniversary.

Hot again today and then cooler for the next few days, I am ready.

Going to see Sully tomorrow at the movies, love most anything Tom Hanks does.
I know. Mornings are the worst as we would get up and talk to her. Tom and I have cried daily....which is why I love that man.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #51
CarolynF

Hi..

Yes, I know mornings without Alex were hard.. The house is still different, but I still talk to him as I think maybe his little spirit is here.. Pooter was so petite that she could fit right in there..She loved her warm spots...Alex liked the sunshine and the heat vents.

Judy, you could be a vet tech..Glad Eloise is doing better. I should go to the vet for my allergy shots, I think. It has been a month since the order went through...they mixed it
on the 1st of September and it is being mailed on Monday. Hopefully, the clinic will get
it and I can have my shot the following Monday. I want to be on the Monday routine as that is a good time for me.

Buffy: Has Grant narrowed his college choices down yet?

Thanks for the supplement information. I was going to fast today until lunch, but then Gary wanted to go to Eggberts, so I caved. I will fast for lunch..

Got Eddie the Eagle DVD to watch tonight.

Beth is heading to Colorado for some training at Whole Foods for a couple of days. I hope she enjoys it... Luckily, she is flying there..

No KSU football today. I'll have to keep tabs on the other Big 12's..

Old 09-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #52
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Kind of funny about going to the vet for your allergy shot.
I've heard some people actually do that in some countries where they don't have great regular human medical access.

Hope Beth enjoys her training days. I love Colorado. She'll probably mostly only be training though.

We had steak for dinner. Before that I was thinking about all the delicious fried foods at the Freeway Cafe. I got out my mandolin slicer for an onion, beat an egg and put some of the Better than Flour mix on a plate. Heated coconut oil in a pan and I'll be darned if I didn't make onion rings! It was overkill for a steak dinner, but really good.
Just so rich it could almost be a meal sub!

Sweet dreams.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #53
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

Yum! I love onion rings!! That sounds really yummy.

We have a birthday party this afternoon. Our youngest little great-grandson is turning 4!!! I truly can't believe it. Time is just rushing past us so fast. That song Don't Blink is so true. I just wish we could somehow convince the young that it really is flying by fast and that they should really just try to slow down and enjoy it more.

I have to get up at 3:00 tomorrow morning to catch my flight to Mexico!! It's going to be so much fun!!

Food can wait!
Old 09-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #54
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh boy oh boy!!!
You will have so much fun!!

I remember constantly being told how time flies.
Since it wasn't flying for me, I couldn't really relate.
I sure can now.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #55
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, I remember it was always old people saying that, lol. Now I fit the profile perfectly, lol.

Food can wait!
Old 09-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #56
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
Yes, I remember it was always old people saying that, lol. Now I fit the profile perfectly, lol.
right there with you sister!
Old 09-11-2016, 07:56 PM   #57
CindyCRNA
Always on, slightly off

Found over on Pinterest. Oopsie cookies. They are chocolate. Hummmmm

Oopsie Sandwich Cookies

The cookie
3 eggs, separated
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
2 packets sweetener
Orange zest (1/2 of an orange’s worth)

Filling
5 ounces cream cheese
Orange zest (1/2 of an orange’s worth)
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
2 Tbsp butter, softened
a splash of heavy white cream (about 4 Tbsp)
2 packets sweetener

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

To make the cookie, whip egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form (3-5 minutes). In a separate bowl, mix softened cream cheese with cocoa and sweetener and egg yolks. Carefully (minimally) fold cream cheese mixture into stiffened whites.Using a cookie scoop, placed oopsie roll batter on the cookie sheet. Slightly flatten each mound. Bake for 30 minutes. Move to cooling rack when they’re able to be handled.
While they cool, mix up the cream cheese filling with a mixer until light and fluffy. Fill the bottom cookie, top to make sandwich cookies.
Cook’s Quotes: “The family loves them! I have put some in the freezer to see how they stand up to freezing, eating cold like ice cream sandwich.”

Last edited by CindyCRNA; 09-11-2016 at 07:57 PM..
Old 09-11-2016, 09:07 PM   #58
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Sounds like something I would try.... thanks!
Old 09-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #59
Buffy45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Trying to imagine the taste of the oopsie cookies . I always think the oopsie doesnt have much taste but they are good as sandwich holders.

Had a fun time with Bobby and Ava. Bobby isn't as aspergers as Grant but there is definitely some of the traits that I saw in Grant. Bobby is full of facts, facts that you don't usually think of an 8 year old knowing or being interested in. When I ask him how he knows that, he responds that oh, I looked it up, or I read it, or saw it op on tv. Their sponge like minds. Ava is typical giggly 6 year old little princess made out of steel
Saw Sully over the weekend, great movie.
Grant hasn't narrowed his choices that we know of, he has an advisor that they hired to work with him a year ago, she is guiding him in the process of applying and her advice to his parents is to not ask him about choices now, just let the process evolve. He will apply to about 8 I think. The advisor has been great, keeps him totally on track as far as what to do when, and how. Very worth the money.
Sandy, I wanna be you , have fun in Mexico.
Going to make beef vegetable soup today to ave a quick easy thing to eat. Also pumpkin bake. Btw, if you shop at Aldis, avoid their canned pumpkin. Gritty sand like in every bite. Libby's from now on.
Better get busy, if you have a fave muffin recipe, lead me to it
Old 09-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #60
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

OH MY GOSH Buffy, I have only Aldi canned pumpkin!!!!
So far not gritty, but I admit I haven't bought any this year.
I have enough for the apocalypse so I'll buy with caution after my stash runs out.
I could not deal with gritty.

Our next door neighbor's son does not have the degree of Asperger's your grandkids have. He is way further on the spectrum, unfortunately. He's about age 30. Got a free ride scholarship to TU, (Tulsa) a very expensive private university here. Lived on campus and flunked out his first semester because he finally had the freedom to do online gaming. That was all he did.
Not sure he'll ever be able to live alone. He is one of the smartest people any of us would ever know - but he cannot apply it. Lots of facts come out when he's around.

So your grand kids have just the right amount - maybe they'll cure cancer or something.

Grant being guided by a professional sounds perfect. Parents usually don't have that expertise, nor at that age do they hold much sway. LOL
Congrats on your smart, cute grandchildren!!

I think it would be fun to be with Sandy, too!!

Yes, I stopped making oopsies years ago, but the thought of chocolate intrigues me...of course.