Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-13-2016, 08:01 AM   #61
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: schaferk
Stats: 165/134/125
WOE: Atkins/protein Power
Start Date: 1975
maybe I can (try again) to jump on with no cheats too! Today was 1 egg 1 bacon & coffee so far & have leftover meat thing panned for later. Going to go on the weekly LONG run and then stay home. So should not be tempted by beer or friends, should make it one day Yeah I suck at dieting but hearing about you guys staying on plan helps me!! So I'm in. One day at a time right. No parties coming up so maybe this time will work

I had to order a meal last night for the birthday dinner but the half taco thing worked cause I've always got DH there who is like the human garbage pail who can eat everything and not gain so I just kept passing him stuff off my plate. I did have some bits of rice and enchilada too so no loss of pounds yet. In fact to be honest I am still UP from my sig post so I've got to get back to that before I can even start real losing But congrats to you GB on the woosh & keep posting. I want to catch up to you!!
8 Nov 2017 - 145.5
9 Nov 2017 - 144.5
10 Nov 2017 - 143
schaferk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2016, 06:47 AM   #62
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GoBahnsen
Stats: Have lost 42 lbs since Nov.19, 2013
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 188 as of March 5, 2014 6'2"
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaferk View Post
maybe I can (try again) to jump on with no cheats too! Today was 1 egg 1 bacon & coffee so far & have leftover meat thing panned for later. Going to go on the weekly LONG run and then stay home. So should not be tempted by beer or friends, should make it one day Yeah I suck at dieting but hearing about you guys staying on plan helps me!! So I'm in. One day at a time right. No parties coming up so maybe this time will work

I had to order a meal last night for the birthday dinner but the half taco thing worked cause I've always got DH there who is like the human garbage pail who can eat everything and not gain so I just kept passing him stuff off my plate. I did have some bits of rice and enchilada too so no loss of pounds yet. In fact to be honest I am still UP from my sig post so I've got to get back to that before I can even start real losing But congrats to you GB on the woosh & keep posting. I want to catch up to you!!
Yeah Kris , jump on board and get trim and fit with us. Feel the rush. Lighten up and fly. Clear your head out. Find ways to stay full and not hungry, but calorie restricted as well. Get creative.

Day 9 of no beer begins. Yesterday I held off from eating anything except two lemons until 1:30. I was trying to keep my stomach empty so I could continue a regimen of EDTA chelation. It is supposed to attach unwanted calcium in the cardio vascular system and flush it out. But works best away from food.

That and only fresh ground organic decaf coffee ended up bringing about a better day symptom wise. I felt great in the afternoon, really clear and less cardio distress symptoms.

I also ended up with a nice loss on the scales this morning. Today I'm just gonna repeat yesterday. I liked yesterday. I felt smart all day. When I did finally eat something it was an Atkins bar of all things.

My customer set some out with other snacks, so for 150 cals and 2 net carbs, I tried one. It was really good. It's the kind of thing that if you've been really good, something like that tastes way better than on a diet where you are cheating.

No cheats Kris and PAC. Maybe try " The Whole 30" diet?

Lets drop some weight by Thanksgiving
Old 10-14-2016, 07:58 AM   #63
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/200/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
I read up about Whole 30. I actually have the book. I buy a ton of diet books at Goodwill for $1. Then if I don't like them I donate them to the library for their used book sales. It actually says in the book that it's not a weight loss diet, but an anti-inflammatory diet, and that's why you only do it for 30 days. It does say that you can lose weight on it, but that's just not the purpose. I have to have food I can chew, but when I am on plan I eat clean. Just protein and veggies. I know what I have to do. I have to cut my portions way back so I am eating less, but still whole food. Smaller portions of the same foods. I have little tricks I have learned to get through meals that DH eats. If he has tacos, I have a salad, and I scrape the filling from the taco into the greens. And I do the same thing when he has pizza. This way, I fill up on veggies and omit the carbs of the taco shells and the pizza crust. I am lucky that for the most part, DH likes a meat and potatoes meal. I just eat the meat and veggies and omit the potatoes, or other starch. Pasta is my demon. I can stuff myself with pasta and go back for more, but DH doesn't really like it, so it's up to me not to prepare it. I haven't bought a box of pasta since my last big horror meal a few months ago. If it's not in the house, I can't cook it, and I am the only person who would bring it into the house.

I really had to laugh at you eating 2 lemons. How can you eat a lemon? They are so sour. I always say I can't do something, like skip real food for days, but don't say you can't do something if you haven't tried it. One time I told my cardiologist that I could not do a treadmill test and he said "You can do it, you just don't want to." That stuck in my mind. I can go without food, I just don't want to. But do I want to get thin, or do I want to stay fat?

The problem for me with protein bars and shakes. I cannot (will not) make it a replacement for real food. I would eat the real food, then have the bar or shake for a snack. I want to lose weight on a plan that I can do for the rest of my life, so real food it has to be. Just controlled portions.

Good for you on the whoosh. I knew it would come eventually! Kris and I will not be far behind!!

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #64
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
I read up about Whole 30. I actually have the book. I buy a ton of diet books at Goodwill for $1. Then if I don't like them I donate them to the library for their used book sales. It actually says in the book that it's not a weight loss diet, but an anti-inflammatory diet, and that's why you only do it for 30 days. It does say that you can lose weight on it, but that's just not the purpose. I have to have food I can chew, but when I am on plan I eat clean. Just protein and veggies. I know what I have to do. I have to cut my portions way back so I am eating less, but still whole food. Smaller portions of the same foods. I have little tricks I have learned to get through meals that DH eats. If he has tacos, I have a salad, and I scrape the filling from the taco into the greens. And I do the same thing when he has pizza. This way, I fill up on veggies and omit the carbs of the taco shells and the pizza crust. I am lucky that for the most part, DH likes a meat and potatoes meal. I just eat the meat and veggies and omit the potatoes, or other starch. Pasta is my demon. I can stuff myself with pasta and go back for more, but DH doesn't really like it, so it's up to me not to prepare it. I haven't bought a box of pasta since my last big horror meal a few months ago. If it's not in the house, I can't cook it, and I am the only person who would bring it into the house.

I really had to laugh at you eating 2 lemons. How can you eat a lemon? They are so sour. I always say I can't do something, like skip real food for days, but don't say you can't do something if you haven't tried it. One time I told my cardiologist that I could not do a treadmill test and he said "You can do it, you just don't want to." That stuck in my mind. I can go without food, I just don't want to. But do I want to get thin, or do I want to stay fat?

The problem for me with protein bars and shakes. I cannot (will not) make it a replacement for real food. I would eat the real food, then have the bar or shake for a snack. I want to lose weight on a plan that I can do for the rest of my life, so real food it has to be. Just controlled portions.

Good for you on the whoosh. I knew it would come eventually! Kris and I will not be far behind!!
I blend up two lemons with ice and stevia. Tastes like lemonade without the sugar content. But very sweet. The stevia is nutritious and in large amounts has a BP lowering affect.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:09 AM   #65
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

good morning! Congrats on that nice loss GB!! You are doing great as I knew you would.

I'm kinda just "hanging" as usual. No cheats, beer, or bad food really but I think I'm still just eating too much and not paying enough attention to what I'm doing. Been exercising a lot - 10 mile walk/run Thurs and then 14 mile bike ride yesterday AND a walk later. But I'm eating too much. Something happened to my eye Thurs night that upset me - blood all in it and I look like the "walking dead". Things like that upset me (now that I'm old) and I just freaked. Trying to get into dr but didn't hear back from them all day yesterday. No excuse but I just ate whatever, didn't pay attention Still waiting for dr to call this morning.
8 Nov 2017 - 145.5
9 Nov 2017 - 144.5
10 Nov 2017 - 143
Old 10-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #66
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
good morning! Congrats on that nice loss GB!! You are doing great as I knew you would.

I'm kinda just "hanging" as usual. No cheats, beer, or bad food really but I think I'm still just eating too much and not paying enough attention to what I'm doing. Been exercising a lot - 10 mile walk/run Thurs and then 14 mile bike ride yesterday AND a walk later. But I'm eating too much. Something happened to my eye Thurs night that upset me - blood all in it and I look like the "walking dead". Things like that upset me (now that I'm old) and I just freaked. Trying to get into dr but didn't hear back from them all day yesterday. No excuse but I just ate whatever, didn't pay attention Still waiting for dr to call this morning.
Hi Kris Praying for your eye. Aren't there Urgent care walk in places out there? We have them all over the place. I guess u can google it right?

My DW is at a women's retreat, so I ate super light last night and that after a super low calorie day. Dopped a pound. That's fun. Normally I can plan on a half pound a day when I'm beer free, calorie restricted and throwing in some exercise.

Right now being healthy and alcohol free is not an option. Sadly it has come to that to get me to pay attention to my health. If I am feeling like I can get away with a good time, then look out everyone....here I come.

I think that may be your issue as well Kris. You're in reasonably good health. You do get out and walk and ride. But you don't want to give up the social life or your DH pushes you off the fence you sit on....and you constantly find yourself smack dab in front of a chip or bread bowl, with beer around and buddies.

And it simply has not become worth it to you enough to put your foot down and drop that 30 pounds or whatever that keeps you from being light as a feather.

But if you had the chest discomfort I have and a sore liver like I have and you were trying to be good so that these scary symptoms would go away, then it becomes a no choice kind of thing. But so long as choice is there because you feel like you still have time to roll the dice....then beer, buddies and food win the day too often. Often enough to keep you going no where or worse, right?

Too bad you can't sit down with DH and have a heart to heart on this matter. Or maybe you can

I'm going thru a book called How We Love by Milan and Kay Yerkovich. It's a book that believes we have become the sum total of all our past history. Especially our formative years where our parents or other significant adults (baby sitters, teachers, coaches, relatives, siblings even, etc.) made an "imprint" on us that plays a major role in who we are now.

I have been learning so much about what type of imprint that I carry and my wife carries and how those two imprints most often collide and create confusion and disillusionment in marriage.

You are probably one type and your DH a different type. All of us are predominately a certain type (5 basic negative categories and one positive category). If you understood how your parents raised you and who you have become, you could learn how to correct yourself.

You sound like you have a lot of the "Pleaser'" category in you. Maybe a little "Victim" blended in. Don't be offended, you'd need to understand the definitions. I am mostly a "Vacillator". I have no idea about your DH. But he is not being helpful to your plight with weight loss, it sounds like.

Are you guys really communicating? Are you afraid to talk to him honestly about your desire to get healthy? Does he act uninterested? Does he seem to not listen or have empathy? Does he laugh off your concerns and make light of them? And thus the "pleaser" goes along with everyone, trying to keep everyone happy?

Were your parents somewhat emotionally disconnected and didn't have a lot of time to talk with you about how you were feeling? Did you find yourself trying to do and be what they wanted in hopes of getting emotional connection? Did you find yourself trying to achieve good things, like grades, etc in order to get their praise? Which you got, but still not the emotional connection you longed for?

You might want to order a copy off Amazon and give it a read. My wife and I are going thru it together. She was skeptical at first (like many people are), but then started to realize it made a lot of sense.

We both have opened up to each other in unprecedented ways for the first time in 30 years. The book will get you reflecting together and talking about who you really are at your core person. Perhaps an exercise like this will create a new found compassion for each other and your DH may begin to see his part in not helping you achieve your goals.

Of course it won't be all about how to love and support Kris , but it will be equally as much about how you have compassion and sympathy for your DH and how he received his "imprint" in life and why he may seem detached or distant or un-talkative about things that really matter to you.

The book isn't about blaming the past or parents who were flawed and did the best they could with their limited tools, but rather about discovering why you are who you are and then making positive changes to grow out of a bad imprint.

It is a Christian book, but does not rely on quoting verses and saying "there now....just believe that and everything will be ok." Sorry, but half the Christians are getting divorced too or they settle for way too less in their marriage. It's a good read. I hope you order it. You may just find out why you stay in the same old rut.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #67
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I might order that book, Gobah. I read the reviews on it and most of them were good. The only adverse review said that the person did not think their parents were to blame. I am interested in this because I recall when I was upset about something I did not receive any comfort from my mother. Instead she would point out all the things I did wrong to cause whatever I was upset about. All I needed was a hug, sometimes. Also, she never showed any pride in my accomplishments, although other people said she bragged about me. I would have liked to hear that praise, too. DH will not participate, so I want to do it just for my own understanding.

I have not had starchy carbs for 2 days. I am down 1 lb. I think I will continue with my protein and veggies and see how I do.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 10-15-2016, 03:24 PM   #68
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

The book sounds great GB I'd love to read it with DH. He's pretty good but keep saying how I look just fine, better than any other wife in the group we hang with. That may be true - altho that bar is not set very high if ya know what I mean..... I think he truly wants me to be happy but he's torn because he also loves going out drinking and eating a LOT. He can literally drink and eat ANYTHING he wants and not ever gain. Those folks don't understand the plague we live with, it's just not a concern.

As far as the eye - I had to go running to the eye doc this morning - but of course they said what happened to me had nothing to do with any of the tests that I had done. Maybe true - but just a coincidence that I look like the walking dead with an eye full of blood because a blood vessel burst for NO REASON. duh. Well no worries, it's OK now just looks REALLY bad. Doc said it may take 2 full weeks for the blood to clear out of it. I really look like crap So went out to dr, then stopped to look at new kitchen appliances, then at the bar for tacos and beer. Then that led to another bar. So a few beers and tacos later I'm home on the couch No biggie. Tomorrow is another day. Just thought I'd be honest about my failures....... No exercise for today. But I was worried so had to go to the eye dr on emergency for blood in the eye.
8 Nov 2017 - 145.5
9 Nov 2017 - 144.5
10 Nov 2017 - 143
Old 10-15-2016, 06:00 PM   #69
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I might order that book, Gobah. I read the reviews on it and most of them were good. The only adverse review said that the person did not think their parents were to blame. I am interested in this because I recall when I was upset about something I did not receive any comfort from my mother. Instead she would point out all the things I did wrong to cause whatever I was upset about. All I needed was a hug, sometimes. Also, she never showed any pride in my accomplishments, although other people said she bragged about me. I would have liked to hear that praise, too. DH will not participate, so I want to do it just for my own understanding.

I have not had starchy carbs for 2 days. I am down 1 lb. I think I will continue with my protein and veggies and see how I do.
Read both of you guys's posts. Will get back. The book definitely makes it clear that the purpose is not to blame our parents. They did the best they could with their own less than ideal upbringings.

The goal is to get understanding and grow and heal. It's designed mostly for marriages. But should help all relationships.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:23 AM   #70
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Ya know Kris, it may be that your DH does think you look just fine and doesn't understand your desire to lose more weight. I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. It could be that he wants to go out drinking and eating with friends and doesn't want your dieting to hold you back. You really aren't big, in my opinion, but bigger than you would like to be. I understand.

I'm glad they didn't find anything wrong with your eye. That's the same thing they told me, that it just happened and would clear up. No particular cause or long term damage.

Gobah
, so maybe the book isn't for me after all. I know DH is not going to participate. We don't have very many problems. I think all relationships have their own issues, but we are in tune with them and we both seem to accept the other as is. I know there's always room for improvement, but both need to participate for it to work. It's like going to marriage counseling alone.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 10-16-2016, 10:02 AM   #71
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Its some of both PAC with my DH. He does want me to be his drinkin and eating buddy cause we have been just that for 25 yrs. But he also wants me to not be too big. It's a fine line. He always says "It's Ok we can stay home if you want to diet" but I know in my heart that he wants to go out and eat and drink and I hate being the cause of ruining his fun. I am the problem - if I could just have more control and be able to watch he & the others eat and drink all of our problems would be solved!! But I figured out the discipline part yet
8 Nov 2017 - 145.5
9 Nov 2017 - 144.5
10 Nov 2017 - 143
Old 10-17-2016, 06:59 AM   #72
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

OK Its a new day and Monday! Gonna run 4 miles maybe, not a long one. Back is a little stiff so don't want to aggravate it by too much pounding. Yesterday I tried to push the big recumbent stationary bike over and felt a twinge so don't want that seizing up before the big run which is in coming up soon! The bike is back up out of the basement in case the weather goes crappy soon cause I gotta get exercise the next two weeks before leaving!! I haven't lost anything, it seems I'm barely keeping my head above water and maintaining. I keep trying but then something comes up. Went out last night, only had salad bar and no alcohol (even tho it was $! off draft night!!) but still I'm holding the weight high. I know salad bars can sneak up on you and I did eat quite a bit (shame...)
8 Nov 2017 - 145.5
9 Nov 2017 - 144.5
10 Nov 2017 - 143

Last edited by schaferk; 10-17-2016 at 07:01 AM..
Old 10-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #73
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Its some of both PAC with my DH. He does want me to be his drinkin and eating buddy cause we have been just that for 25 yrs. But he also wants me to not be too big. It's a fine line. He always says "It's Ok we can stay home if you want to diet" but I know in my heart that he wants to go out and eat and drink and I hate being the cause of ruining his fun. I am the problem - if I could just have more control and be able to watch he & the others eat and drink all of our problems would be solved!! But I figured out the discipline part yet
Hey guys

Glad to hear your eye will be ok Kris. I think we have suggested just about everything under sun in here for ya Kris, regarding the temptations you face weekly.

You're gonna have to decide on this one. Maybe eat something filling but low ca before you go out. I think we suggested that one last year?

Good for you for pulling the bike out of the basement.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:32 AM   #74
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

I know. I'm not really looking for answers cause I know already it's me that has to make the changes. Just venting I guess, or reporting But I do have a "test" planned for tonight. Going to a family thing. I am sure no alcohol, but really going to give it my best on lowcarb/smaller portions. I've got to learn to go to these things and just reign it in on my own. I can't stay home anymore with grandkids getting older doing more things. It's not my last meal, no reason I have to feel in my head that I have to eat it, or get my money's worth, or any of those dumb thoughts. If I can get a couple of theses situations behind me maybe it can be a habit
8 Nov 2017 - 145.5
9 Nov 2017 - 144.5
10 Nov 2017 - 143
Old 10-17-2016, 08:57 AM   #75
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

When we go out to eat, I could order something small, like a cup of soup or just a salad, but DH won't let me. He says "Get whatever you want," but when I say that's all I want he get mad. He says people are going to think he doesn't allow me to eat. I told him other people don't care what I'm eating. LOL Yesterday we were in Bob Evans. There was this younger couple across from us. The server brought him a cup of soup and 2 rolls, and brought her a slice of chocolate pie and 2 rolls. DH was laughing that she was just eating pie. But after she ate that and her rolls, they brought them both an entree. I guess she didn't want soup or salad and chose to eat her dessert first. She appeared to be someone who didn't need to worry about her weight. My point? They weren't worried about what other people thought!! I guess I could order a meal and then just eat a couple bites, but that's wasteful, and once the food is in front of me I want it. He should not be so controlling. FYI, that is why his first wife left!!

Dr Jason Fung
Old 10-18-2016, 07:05 AM   #76
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Well PAC Pie is the best part of the meal

Still same here, nothing to report. Have some leftovers from a restaurant to eat here today/planning on just the one meal for the day. Doing better at portion control I think. About to go jog.

We have had some really strange weather - set a record high yesterday with 89 degrees. It is usually way cold here by this time of year so I am way happy with this weather. It looks like we will enjoy unusually high temps up until I leave for Florida for the half marathon
8 Nov 2017 - 145.5
9 Nov 2017 - 144.5
10 Nov 2017 - 143
Old 10-18-2016, 07:13 AM   #77
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Kris, we are supposed to hit 82 today, which is the current record, and we usually go a little higher than they predict, so maybe we will break that record. I wanted to make some vegetable soup but now I will wait until it cools off a bit. I like a bowl of steamy soup on the cold day!

That's good that you brought home leftovers from a restaurant. That means you didn't eat it all! When I worked, I loved to bring home restaurant leftovers to take for lunch the next day. Sometimes I could make it last for 2 lunches.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 10-18-2016, 06:32 PM   #78
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

GB Where are you? You better get in here and report today!! You are on the big no beer/losing streak and we need to hear the good news!!

Madmarsha where are you?? And Where's Kyla?
8 Nov 2017 - 145.5
9 Nov 2017 - 144.5
10 Nov 2017 - 143
Old 10-19-2016, 07:23 AM   #79
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

We have 1600 views and only 71 posts, so someone is coming here reading, but not posting. Come on it. We don't bite! Or maybe we just "bite" too much LOL

Dr Jason Fung
Old 10-19-2016, 07:37 AM   #80
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself in here!! But I keep doing it just to be accountable. Plus even tho some of us in here are not losing as "fast & steady" as we would like, I've still learned a lot and picked up tips from you all! Thanks for that! This is a thread where we do slip up and fall but we get back up and keep trying!!!

Started today off OK, one egg, 2 small pc bacon & coffee. Planning to go on pedal bike ride, may be last one for the year as the cold is in the forecast I still jog when it's chilly but won't bike ride. Yesterday was a beautiful day so we took the Harley out, nearing the end of that for the year too.
8 Nov 2017 - 145.5
9 Nov 2017 - 144.5
10 Nov 2017 - 143
Old 10-20-2016, 07:02 AM   #81
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I have been walking on my treadmill a bit and doing some weight exercises. They say if you increase your muscle mass it will burn more calories through out the day. I just want to be able to maintain my agility as I age. I don't want to need a walker. I can easily see that coming though. I notice that I always need a cart when I'm shopping in a store, even if I'm only buying one thing. And I have difficulty in the mall where there are no carts. I don't want that to happen. I don't mean to criticize those who do need a walker, but I don't want to get to that point just because I didn't stay active enough. Maybe I will try walking in the stores without a cart when I only need one of two things and that will also keep me from making impulse purchases. When you start to get older, it's more important to be able to get around well than it is to be thin and sexy looking. Don't get me wrong...I would LOVE to be thin and sexy. LOL As long as I didn't need a walker.

So Kris, you might think your exercise isn't helping you because the weight is not falling off, but it will help keep you mobile in later years.

My first meal of the day is always just eggs and coffee, although it might not happen until closer to noon. It's always low calorie and low carb. It's not until I get to dinner with DH that I get in trouble. I need to be more diligent and careful what I'm eating then. I know I can do this if I set my mind to it. I am pumped today!

Dr Jason Fung
Old 10-21-2016, 08:18 AM   #82
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Good for you PAC getting on the treadmill! I'd be lost if I could not exercise. I hope you can continue to build up to where you want to be. I think staying mobile/active is so important.

It's a week till I leave on the trip so crunch time on the eating. Or "no crunch time" as it may be for me. I'm really watching it now, meal replacement shakes and REALLY LOW CARB! Hopefully for the whole week even if I have to stay home to do it. I'm trying to eat no dinner all week - OMAD and early in the day.
8 Nov 2017 - 145.5
9 Nov 2017 - 144.5
10 Nov 2017 - 143
Old 10-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #83
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Good luck to you on your WOE for the week, Kris! I'm pulling for you, and maybe I can do that too!

I have a NSV to report. Yesterday we went grocery shopping. After we checked out I realized I forgot sausage. DH said he would take the bags to the car and I could go get the sausage. I walked all the way to the back of the store to get the sausage, and I was almost all the way back there before I realized I didn't have a cart and I was walking fine! So I think the exercising is helping strengthen my leg muscles! I have heard that people who are in the worst physical condition will show improvement faster than those who are already fit.

How long will you be gone, Kris? I will miss talking with you.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 10-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #84
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

I'll be gone two full weeks PAC! I am taking my laptop and will get on and chat every few days I hope. It's just SO busy and so much going on every minute we are there that it's hard to do it. I would sure miss talking to you too so I will try to keep in touch

I'll be sharing the room with 3 others and wifi is "iffy". We'll have to take turns in shower, etc and using plugs and chargers & stuff. It's always a hot mess. But it's family, gotta love em!! I am looking forward to it (except for the half marathon part). That part SCARES me!! Glad to hear you are getting around more. I think it is a very key part of the healthy puzzle, keep moving somehow, however we can.
8 Nov 2017 - 145.5
9 Nov 2017 - 144.5
10 Nov 2017 - 143
Old 10-22-2016, 05:35 AM   #85
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

It sounds like you will have a great time, Kris, and I have confidence that you will rock the marathon!

This is so weird, but in the middle of the night I thought to myself "I wonder how Kris's eye is doing?" LOL The thought just popped into my head. You haven't mentioned it.

A diabetic friend on another forum recently had to start getting injections in her eye. Scary stuff! Another reason for me to straighten up!!

Yesterday I had to go to Target to pick up a prescription and I did it without a cart. It's just a habit with me, when I go into a store, to grab a cart. I realized yesterday I wasn't buying anything to need a cart and chose not to take one! Baby steps!

Dr Jason Fung
Old 10-22-2016, 06:45 AM   #86
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
This is so weird, but in the middle of the night I thought to myself "I wonder how Kris's eye is doing?" LOL The thought just popped into my head. You haven't mentioned it.

A diabetic friend on another forum recently had to start getting injections in her eye. Scary stuff! Another reason for me to straighten up!!
Maybe I forgot to mention the eye but they finally called me back OVER 24 hrs LATER and said yes come in right now. Long story short - $92 later they said must have just been a broken blood vessel in the eye. They swore it had nothing to do with the tests they had done that day. hmmmm?? Anyhow, I looked like a zombie, eyeball full of blood for a week; finally better yesterday. I had to get passport pics taken like that I agree eye infections are nothing to mess around with, I was worried. Also exercise - you keep at it! I know you have some reasons why you can't do what I do so I'm not trying to push but I really think ANYTHING you can do will help you. I let it go for years many when I was busy with kid stuff, gained some weight, and when I tried to jog I could only go from one driveway to the next and then walk, etc. It took a long time but I just kept adding little bits and finally worked up to more. I started with wall push ups, then counter, then table, I can still only do about 6 knee pushups on the floor. Not good upper body strength but I try to stay limber, mess around with some arm weights every other day.

Hey GoBa's been missing I sure hope he hasn't fallen face down into a carb patch while looking for that perfect pumpkin! He loses so good when he's on a roll so I am anxious to hear from him!!!!!!
8 Nov 2017 - 145.5
9 Nov 2017 - 144.5
10 Nov 2017 - 143

Last edited by schaferk; 10-22-2016 at 06:47 AM..
Old 10-22-2016, 08:11 AM   #87
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Your eye definately sounds like what I had that time. Unexplained broken blood vessel that went away by itself. Don't get mad but I'm LOL about the passport photos. It could be worse. It could be your drivers license photo.

I appreciate that you understand that I am unable to do what you do, jog, run, even extensive walking, but I know in my heart that I need to do as much as I can and that it will improve over time, but my knee is never going to get good enough to allow me to jog or run. I have a very strong suspicion that my heart issues have worsened recently, due to some symptoms I've been noticing lately. Unless things progress quickly, I will be discussing this with my cardiologist at my December appointment. In the mean time, I have to quit the playing around and get down to business. I can lie to myself and say that I just can't lose weight, or I can do what I know I have to do to make it happen. Losing weight will not cure my issues, but the weight contributes.

Ahh, Gobah. You gotta love him! LOL

Dr Jason Fung
Old 10-24-2016, 07:40 AM   #88
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

good morning! Just reporting in, nothing going on really. Not sure if today will be a run or a bike ride. I'm thinking about it being a fasting day maybe. Haven't eaten since 3:00 yesterday afternoon so I'm well on the way!! Just wanting to have a whoosh before I leave.
8 Nov 2017 - 145.5
9 Nov 2017 - 144.5
10 Nov 2017 - 143
Old 10-24-2016, 08:23 AM   #89
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

DH cooked eggs this morning so I did have some scrambled eggs. I don't know what we will be having for dinner but I hope not to eat until then, and will try to eat a small meal.

I hope you get your whoosh. I probably won't post here until you come back, unless you get a chance to post. I don't like talking to myself. LOL

Dr Jason Fung
Old 10-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #90
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah I know what ya mean PAC. This thread has pretty much died. I don't leave till Friday & should have a chance to check in Sunday. I got a 5 mile run in this morning but also had an unplanned salad from Bennegins. They were happy to change breaded fried chicken to grilled, honey mustard to ranch, and ditch the tomatoes on their signature Kilkinny salad so I was low on carbs but didn't get to fast. Tomorrow will be a fasting day now. So no whoosh yet But I'm really giving it my best this week, NO alcohol and hopefully no carbs. I know I will eat at Disney World, we have a few reservations already. Thanks for listening and hanging with me
8 Nov 2017 - 145.5
9 Nov 2017 - 144.5
10 Nov 2017 - 143