Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 06-28-2002, 01:49 PM   #1
cheri
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
NEW MEMBERS.. Please come introduce yourself!!

Break the ice and introduce yourself here, so we can welcome our newcomers and get to know YOU.
There is a lot of diet support here, so don't be shy.. jump right in.. Tell us your plan (Atkins, South Beach, The Zone or just a low carb lifestyle, as well as non low carb diets, such as weight watchers or low calories or any program.. We welcome them all!!) and how you're doing.

This is a large site, so take some time to look around
Main Lowcarb Lobby - Low Carb Friends
For general dieting questions
Weight Loss Plans - Low Carb Friends
For a variety of different plans - check for a sub-forum for the plan you're on
LCF has a HUGE recipe forum, member driven by some wonderfully creative cooks
Lowcarb Recipe Help & Suggestions - Low Carb Friends
Question about supplements?
Vitamins and Supplements - Low Carb Friends
Need a little non-diet fun?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lounge/
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/game-room/
Not quite sure where or what? Join a Challenge with like-minded members
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/
Want to document your journey?
Weight Loss Journals - Low Carb Friends
And many more
Any time you have a question, please don't hesitate to contact the site:
LowCarbFriends.com Contact Form

Oh and please, do take a moment and read the "announcements" and other "stickies" pertaining to site rules

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #2
moody1shreve
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: moody1shreve
Stats: 295/237/210
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy_va View Post
Hello there
I have been off of low carb eating for a year now and I have felt horrible. I have decided to start back today. I know it will be kinda hard, but I really gonna stick with it this time
Welcome Kimmy! There is a lot of good information on this BB. You've got this.
moody1shreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
Chantalann
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Chantalann
Hello

Hi, I am new to the site. I love all the encouraging posts and help with recipes. I love to cook, but am not the best baker. This is unfortunate, because I love breads and desserts. I have been following the Atkins diet for almost a year. I thought traditional baking was difficult, but low carb baking has proven to be even more of a challenge. I do like a good challenge though and the combined wisdom on this site has proven quite helpful!
Chantalann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #4
CrazyCatMom
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CrazyCatMom
Stats: 222/210/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 29th 2016
Introducing myself. Trying to save my life.
CrazyCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:37 PM   #5
chiqong
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chiqong
Stats: 276/256/135
Start Date: July 26, 2016
Hey!

I've been lurking a while, and finally thought I'd introduce myself!

I'm a grad student working on an MFA in theatre. I go school in FL but my heart is still in MI I went home for a few weeks in July and what started as an appointment to get a wart removed from my finger turned into a blood test for hypothyroidism. So after being diagnosed, my doctor also recommended the Atkins Diet.

I just finished the official 14th day of Induction and I've lost 13 lbs! I plan on staying on induction for much longer.

One of the not-so-much-perks of getting a terminal degree is that all of my other friends who stayed for 2 year grad degrees finished last semester so I'm all alone this year BUT I'm excited to find this online community where I know I'll get support even when I don't have anyone right *here here*.
chiqong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:08 PM   #6
HeyJoe
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HeyJoe
Now or never...

Hello all,

This will be my 4th serious attempt at weight loss. A couple of months ago, I was at my heaviest weight ever... 326 lbs. I am now down to 313 as of this morning and have accomplished this by:

1. Cutting all bread, pasta, rice, and soda. Limiting myself to one latte or machiatto a week (this used to be almost daily)

2. Pokemon GO... seriously. I've walked miles playing this stupid game, and my whole family does it with me.

3. Exercise bike for nights we don't play Pokemon

I am in my mid 40s and really need to lose weight before I develop serious health problems. It is not easy, and I know from past attempts how easy it is to backslide.

Anyway, hopefully this will be "it" for me... no looking back! Thank you for allowing me to join this group.
HeyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:06 AM   #7
Izzysdream
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: 205/203.6/155 (5'7") age 59
WOE: LC
Start Date: 4/06 - lost ~90, restarting
Chantalann, Chiqong, CrazyCatMom and HeyJoe! I'm back and glad to see you all here!
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:07 AM   #8
Kelibean81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kelibean81
Stats: 165/133/130 5'7"
WOE: LCHF maintenance
Start Date: 3/1/13 Restart 4/4/16
HeyJoe - I play Pokemon Go too! Team Valor!

Kelly

1st Goal: 135 - MET on July 29, 2016!
Final Goal: 130 - MET on August 26, 2016!
Stretch Goal: 125
Maintenance Range: 130-135
Kelibean81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #9
AllyintheMiddle
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: AllyintheMiddle
Stats: 212/185/135
WOE: LCHF/Clean Eating/IF
Start Date: April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelibean81 View Post
HeyJoe - I play Pokemon Go too! Team Valor!
Team Mystic all the way!!!

Goal 1: Onederland (Goal met 7/22/16)
Goal 2: 193 lbs. (25%, Goal met 9/3/2016)
Goal 3: 174 lbs. (50% - No longer obese)
Goal 4: 154 lbs. (75%)
Goal 5: 144 (No longer overweight)
Final Goal: 135 lbs.
Challenge Goal: 125 lbs.
AllyintheMiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #10
Kelibean81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kelibean81
Stats: 165/133/130 5'7"
WOE: LCHF maintenance
Start Date: 3/1/13 Restart 4/4/16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyintheMiddle View Post
Team Mystic all the way!!!
Haha I love it

Kelly

1st Goal: 135 - MET on July 29, 2016!
Final Goal: 130 - MET on August 26, 2016!
Stretch Goal: 125
Maintenance Range: 130-135
Kelibean81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:35 PM   #11
Priss
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Priss
Hello,
I just found these boards today. I am 46 years old and have always been heavy. I have played with low-carb eating off and on all year (more off than on), and am are trying it again. I am currently 263 and would so love to lose weight!!!!
There is sooo much info on these boards, I've been looking around and don't think I could ever read it all, but wow, so much good stuff here. Thank you for that!
Priss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:59 PM   #12
cheri
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"

Dottie posted this info earlier in the thread so I wanted to repost it for all our newcomers! We are so glad to see you sign up.. If you need any help feel free to let us know!!!

This is a large site, so take some time to look around
Main Lowcarb Lobby - Low Carb Friends
For general dieting questions
Weight Loss Plans - Low Carb Friends
For a variety of different plans - check for a sub-forum for the plan you're on
LCF has a HUGE recipe forum, member driven by some wonderfully creative cooks
Lowcarb Recipe Help & Suggestions - Low Carb Friends
Question about supplements?
Vitamins and Supplements - Low Carb Friends
Need a little non-diet fun?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lounge/
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/game-room/
Not quite sure where or what? Join a Challenge with like-minded members
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/
Want to document your journey?
Weight Loss Journals - Low Carb Friends
And many more
Any time you have a question, please don't hesitate to contact the site:
LowCarbFriends.com Contact Form

Oh and please, do take a moment and read the "announcements" and other "stickies" pertaining to site rules

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:06 AM   #13
McClure
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: McClure
Start Date: August 1st 2016
1 month in on LCHF as well as giving up daily alcohol. So pleased with the results so far! A long way to go yet but feeling great
McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:12 AM   #14
WendyLindy
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WendyLindy
Stats: 173/173/130
Start Date: 08/29/2016
Long time Atkinator back at in induction

Hi everyone... I started Atkins 18 years ago when I was 260 lbs. I lost 130 lbs and kept most of it off for the first 5 years.. Then I had my son. Got back up to 205 lbs and went back down again to 138 and now I am at 173.. See the picture??? I have lost and gained a lot of weight over the years for various reasons. I believe the most current issue is that I am perimenipausal and carb resistant. I have had some cheat days oh like on holidays or birthdays or on Vegas trips. But pretty much I have stuck to meat cheese and eggs cucumbers or salads. Recently I have been on a very LONG plateau. I never can quite figure what it is that I am doing that is causing these stales. Sometimes I think its the cheese so I cut out the cheese sometimes I think its the vodka with soda sweetened with stevia so I try water or I try to cut out the drinks all together. Sometimes I think its the weekly small bag of pork rinds. I don't know what it is so I am at it again and here for some help. I have always had a HUGE success being on atkins but maybe I have been doing low carb for too long??? NO clue so I am going to eliminate cheese for thirty days and try to eliminate alcohol. oh thats a big one lol. Any suggestions from life long atkinators that have hit lengthy stalls would be great. I might add that my keto sticks are still pink or purple during the month long stall and no inches or weight loss.. HELP..
WendyLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:34 PM   #15
Casey
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
Hi, Wendy - age and menopause definitely make a difference. Even after maintaining for a long time, I found that what had always worked before didn't work any more and I really had to dial it in and be more strict with carbs and also watch portion sizes. Hang in there - just know that you're better off eating low carb than not!
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #16
WendyLindy
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WendyLindy
Stats: 173/173/130
Start Date: 08/29/2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Hi, Wendy - age and menopause definitely make a difference. Even after maintaining for a long time, I found that what had always worked before didn't work any more and I really had to dial it in and be more strict with carbs and also watch portion sizes. Hang in there - just know that you're better off eating low carb than not!

thank you so much. I also remembered I always did the atkins 1972 version so i hoped over there to that post and realized what I have been doing wrong. So I am super stoked to get a refresher course...
WendyLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:48 AM   #17
Farmwife
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Farmwife

Hello All,
This is my intro post. I have tried LC in the past with little success. Since that time Ive read more information on LCHF using whole foods and that seems to work much better for me. I am a very very very slow loser, even though I have a lot of weight to lose. I think the reason is because of the starvation style diets I was made to follow as a child and teen. So I am, like most, trying to regain health as well as lose weight.
A little about me... mid forties, married, mom of three, last leg of homeschooling younger 2 through high school, raise sheep,goats, rabbits, turkeys, chickens, pigs, love to preserve food especially canning jams, learning to sew and crochet, need to lose 100 pounds. So thats me in a nutshell.
I hope to possibly find some answers here as to why my weight loss stays at a snails pace and also enjoy the support of others that have a lot to lose.
Have a beautiful day.
Farmwife
Farmwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #18
Jess_the_Mess
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jess_the_Mess
Stats: 353lbs - start weight
Start Date: September 8, 2016
Hello!

Hi! My name is Jess. I am 42. I need to lose 200lbs, but I am focusing only on the first 100lbs right now. I am a super newbie to the LC WOE. I am a housewife/homeschooling mom for our 3 adopted children. My husband & I have been married for 24 years. We adopted our kiddos 4.5 years ago. They are ages 8, 9, & 11. I have had a LapBand for more than 10 years. I have failed miserably with it. At first everything was great & I lost 100 lbs. Then I started getting ulcers due to stress. Long story short, I had to have all of the fill taken out because my stomach was so irritated that I couldn't eat or drink anything. That's when I gained all my weight back. I also have PCOS which makes losing weight ridiculously hard. I've known for a long time that LC was the way to go for losing weight with PCOS, but I never could commit to it because all of that protein was just too hard to eat with the band. I started Atkins yesterday. So far, so good! I am actually having a hard time eating all of this food. I feel like I'm cheating. LOL!! I am committed to making this work. I am very happy to have found this forum. I'm ready to get off the couch and be able to keep up with my kids. I'm ready to live!!
Jess_the_Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:37 PM   #19
Jess_the_Mess
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jess_the_Mess
Stats: 353lbs - start weight
Start Date: September 8, 2016
The cats belong to my kids. Unfortunately, they run from them to me. LOL!!
Jess_the_Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #20
Farmwife
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Farmwife
JESS! You will love the support, advice, and information here. BTW my daughter has a cat and it hates everyone but completely adores her. On the other hand all the dogs adore me so it balances out. LOL
Farmwife
Farmwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:34 PM   #21
TerriLouise
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TerriLouise
In ketosis and not losing

Hi everyone! I have been in ketosis every day for 4 weeks. The first week I lost 4 pounds. After that, nothing. I don't seem to have any problem staying in ketosis, but what am I doing wrong? I tried to find a forum that might address this, but couldn't. So if someone could direct me, I would appreciate it. Thanks for any help
TerriLouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:39 PM   #22
betsielou
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betsielou
Stats: 170/138/130
WOE: low carb, no particular diet
Start Date: 09/02/2016
new here

Hi
I'm Jenna and I have recently joined lowcarbfriends for support and recipe ideas. I hope to loose some weight, but my main goal is to get myself and my family off of sugar and junk carbs. I am looking to loose about 25-30 lbs, not set goal weight really, I will be happy w/any thing lower than my current weight. I also hope to get some help w/what to feed my family because my children do not need to lose weight so I have to make sure I still have plenty of stuff for them to snack on that is healthy.

So, I look forward to all the great information I am sure I will glean here and support too.
betsielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:21 AM   #23
elpida
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: elpida
Hello

Hello
I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone else has followed low carb but not lost weight. I need to lose 40 lbs and started strict LCHF on the 1st of August. Since then, I've lost only 6.8lbs. In the beginning I was eating cheese and nuts but have since cut them out as I read that people tend to overdue it with those. I am eating between 1300 and 1500 calories per day and my carbs are always under 20grams and all come from salads or grilled vegetables. I am doing a 30 minute, 3km walk run every morning. Since starting this diet I have only gone off diet twice and both times it was for one meal I got right back the next day. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
elpida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:18 AM   #24
kimlou
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimlou
Stats: 180/180/139 ish
Start Date: 5/29/13 .. round ?
Hello

I lost 50 pounds in 2004. Maintained until 2009 I had a hysterectomy in 2008 after that it has been so hard , I don't seem to lose as easy as I did then . Of course the dr says its mostly age ...
Anyway I am back and need to lose 45 pounds once again.

For me it works best if I don't indulge in the nuts and cheese .
Are you getting your fats in ? I see you say mostly grilled veggies and salads if you are doing LCHF then you will need those fats and protein

This year, I'm going to appreciate the little things that make my life good, and the not so good will be ignored. I feel really good about that.

Dear Lord, If you can't make me skinny... make my friends fatter !!
kimlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:30 AM   #25
elpida
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: elpida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriLouise View Post
Hi everyone! I have been in ketosis every day for 4 weeks. The first week I lost 4 pounds. After that, nothing. I don't seem to have any problem staying in ketosis, but what am I doing wrong? I tried to find a forum that might address this, but couldn't. So if someone could direct me, I would appreciate it. Thanks for any help
I'm having the same problem - been following strict LCHF and in Ketosis since August 1st and lost under 7lbs - I even cut out the nuts and cheese and added fat bombs but can't seem to figure it out.....This week I'm going to try an egg fast but I worry that the weight loss will only be temporary.....
elpida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:52 AM   #26
christy72
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: christy72
Stats: 156/135
WOE: low carb
Start Date: september 10,2016
Hi all , I was successful years ago with low carb , and now I am back. As getting older (44) dieting, exercise is not always easy or within my busy schedule. I do however walk, I love that form of heart pumping exercise . Any way back in the game, week in now. Looking for motivation and encouragement from others, tips and tricks. As well as to give. Thanks y'all looking forward to getting this weight off for good.
christy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:30 AM   #27
Casey
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
christy72 - hi and welcome! You're relatively close to your goal and it does get harder with age, so be patient. What I have found is that as I've gotten older, what had always worked before didn't work any more and I have to be more strict and have even incorporated some intermittent fasting (Google Fung Fasting) which has been a big help. I'm in maintenance but I've been eating clean / low carb for a long time and I still come to Low Carb Friends for questions and encouragement.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #28
christy72
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: christy72
Stats: 156/135
WOE: low carb
Start Date: september 10,2016
Thanks, Casey!
christy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:05 PM   #29
reetsarama
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: reetsarama
Start Date: August 2016
Hi there, my name is Rita and have just gone back on Atkins starting August 28th. Have lost 14 lbs so far and feeling better already! The last eating plan I followed was about 4 years ago was Weight Watchers. Lost 80 lbs and gained 60 back. Yay me! LOL Decided to do Atkins again because I have lots of inflammation and pain. The doctor thinks less carbs will equal less pain. I hope so!

Just tried Carbquik biscuit for the first time. Not bad!
reetsarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:15 AM   #30
Vita oldie
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Vita oldie
Stats: 160 want to be below 140
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 2012
Hi everyone,
Atkins worked sooooo well over 20yrs ago but family and GP were disapproving so stopped.
Yet I was so slim size 8 and felt well and energetic.
5'3" 170lb aged 69 never been into exercise. Statins affected my leg veins so much I couldn't sit still on chairs, all gone within a month or too of stopping!!
Tried 1972 Atkins again and joined this site some years ago, again with no support so failed.
Now seen Low Carb High Fat videos, especially those from cardiologists who support LCHF! I believe Dr Eenfild (Diet Doctor). ANYTHING THAT RAISES INSULIN will result in excess being stored as fat. ALL CARBS are the problem. Keeping these low is the answer but low carb and low fat is rarely satisfying.
We have been ill advised for 50 years FAT IS NOT the problem and can be safely eaten. It is pleasurable, self limiting and not readily stored.
The Swedish Dr. says "Eat when hungry, until satisfied. Don't eat if not hungry!" So simple!
Eat real food, suggestions such as cooking once but eating for supper and the rest for the next day make sense and less work! Whilst more expensive at the beginning you ended up EATING LESS as you are satisfied after eating less!
The Sugar Addict video is so me! I am like a missile locked onto SWEET things, I don't need or want them but go buy, open and eat them, WHY?
I DECLARE NOW I AM A SUGAR ADDICT.
Now want and need to restart, please keep reminding me to keep on track.
Any UK LCHF er So?
Vita oldie is offline   Reply With Quote