marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:53 AM   #93
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/165/155
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
NICE!!! Wish I could keep chickens. I recently found an amazing deal on a chicken coop but the city won't allow it .... at least I can get some pretty nice eggs every few months from my meat supplier.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:11 PM   #94
Madkow
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Madkow
Stats: 321
WOE: Lchf
Start Date: November 2016
Hi everyone! My name is Melanie, or usually Mel . I've been lurking here for a while and I've been doing LCHF off and on for a little over a year now. I have psoriatic arthritis that causes me a lot of pain on a regular basis. I get frustrated with myself a lot because 1)I let myself get to over 300 lbs (321 as of this morning) and 2)I feel so much better when I follow this woe, but then I let myself lose track for no good reason and I'm back where I started. I have managed to keep off about 25 lbs that I lost last year but for whatever reason I just can't get it in gear again. My husband is diabetic and I'm always telling him that he's the only one that knows how bad he feels and once he's tired of feeling lousy all the time, maybe he'll start taking better care of himself and help himself feel better.....this sounds like excellent advice! I just need to listen to it too!! So that's me in a nutshell! I look forward to meeting you all and learning as much as I can!! Take care!!
Madkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:15 PM   #95
imoksoami
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imoksoami
Stats: 264/225/209
WOE: LC, OMAD, JUDDD
Start Date: 10-15-2016
@Madkow
Breaking the sugar addiction is HARD. Keep at it until it takes. Good luck.
imoksoami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:01 PM   #96
Smileybcuz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smileybcuz
WOE: Keto/LCHF
Start Date: May 14 2016
Hi Mel!
You are in a good place, keep coming and find a good group or forum to share your ups and downs, we all have them. Good luck!
Old 12-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #97
Madkow
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Madkow
Stats: 321
WOE: Lchf
Start Date: November 2016
Thanks for the welcomes! Now time to get my rear in gear!!!
Madkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #98
HadEnough
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HadEnough
Stats: 5'4" 202.1/174.3/140
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 9, 2016
Hello Everyone!!

My name is Maryann and I am so happy to be here with you all! I began my journey on 12/03/2016 and am down 3.7 pounds already!! I am looking for support and motivation as I transition into this new lifestyle and hope to be able to do the same for others.

We got this!!
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #99
taylor92
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: taylor92
New Here!

Hi,

I hope I'm posting in the correct place!

My story with beginning low carb started because I felt terrible. Because I had tried low carb many times and felt decent, I decided to go back to it, even though my head was telling me I would never stick with it. I had also gone to the doctor due to my high blood pressure medication suddenly failing to keep things in line. She had ordered fasting blood work.

I was two days into low carb when the doctor's office called and said, "Hey, we got your labs back--and you're a diabetic! That's why you feel so bad."

I was stunned. No one in my family is a diabetic. Because my husband is a diabetic, I hung up the phone and checked my blood sugar: 171. I cried all the way to the school to pick up grandkids. This is not how I want to live my life. I spent the rest of the day studying everything I could find about bringing my blood sugars to normal. It looked as though I was already doing what I needed to do: low carb.
It hit me hard that this "time" to low carb would not be temporary. I had to make this my life plan.

Two days later, my blood sugar readings were normal. Each reading was 107-125. When I returned to the doctor, she doubted my numbers and suggested the testing strips were expired. I told her I knew they weren't expired. She said, "well, I can't believe it, but we will give it three more weeks with you tracking 5x's a day and then do another fasting blood test." She told me my A1-C was 9.1 and she does not think I can change that without medication, but she wants to wait until 3 weeks pass to make the determination.

I am praying the A1-C will change by then. I feel frantic to learn how to low carb correctly. (Whatever that means). I've lost 6 pounds since starting, but was up 1 pound this morning, which greatly discouraged me.

Things that are confusing to me: some say eat plenty of fat, then I read "if you eat too much fat then your body will burn that fat instead of your fat!"

I hate this macro talk and though I get it and understand it, it is still a bit disconcerting for me. I'm trying to stay at 20 grams of carbs, but on a tracker it already shows 33, so I assume it is not taking into account the fiber, though I am not certain. I have a crazy, busy life and no time to sit and study for hours on end. I used the urine test strips and they show I am in full ketosis. So why am I up a pound?

Anyway, glad to be here and hope to glean information from all of you!
taylor92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:43 AM   #100
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
Taylor if you would post your actual menu, it would help
Also, don't worry about the scale too much right now, as your body adjusts to your new plan.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

**Every day is up to you. You can choose for it to be a good day or a bad day.**
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #101
Smileybcuz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnough View Post
Hello Everyone!!

My name is Maryann and I am so happy to be here with you all! I began my journey on 12/03/2016 and am down 3.7 pounds already!! I am looking for support and motivation as I transition into this new lifestyle and hope to be able to do the same for others.

We got this!!
Maryann, hope you have found some good helpful forums here to help you in your journey!
Old 12-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #102
Smileybcuz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor92 View Post
Hi,

I hope I'm posting in the correct place!

My story with beginning low carb started because I felt terrible. Because I had tried low carb many times and felt decent, I decided to go back to it, even though my head was telling me I would never stick with it. I had also gone to the doctor due to my high blood pressure medication suddenly failing to keep things in line. She had ordered fasting blood work.

I was two days into low carb when the doctor's office called and said, "Hey, we got your labs back--and you're a diabetic! That's why you feel so bad."

I was stunned. No one in my family is a diabetic. Because my husband is a diabetic, I hung up the phone and checked my blood sugar: 171. I cried all the way to the school to pick up grandkids. This is not how I want to live my life. I spent the rest of the day studying everything I could find about bringing my blood sugars to normal. It looked as though I was already doing what I needed to do: low carb.
It hit me hard that this "time" to low carb would not be temporary. I had to make this my life plan.

Two days later, my blood sugar readings were normal. Each reading was 107-125. When I returned to the doctor, she doubted my numbers and suggested the testing strips were expired. I told her I knew they weren't expired. She said, "well, I can't believe it, but we will give it three more weeks with you tracking 5x's a day and then do another fasting blood test." She told me my A1-C was 9.1 and she does not think I can change that without medication, but she wants to wait until 3 weeks pass to make the determination.

I am praying the A1-C will change by then. I feel frantic to learn how to low carb correctly. (Whatever that means). I've lost 6 pounds since starting, but was up 1 pound this morning, which greatly discouraged me.

Things that are confusing to me: some say eat plenty of fat, then I read "if you eat too much fat then your body will burn that fat instead of your fat!"

I hate this macro talk and though I get it and understand it, it is still a bit disconcerting for me. I'm trying to stay at 20 grams of carbs, but on a tracker it already shows 33, so I assume it is not taking into account the fiber, though I am not certain. I have a crazy, busy life and no time to sit and study for hours on end. I used the urine test strips and they show I am in full ketosis. So why am I up a pound?

Anyway, glad to be here and hope to glean information from all of you!

Taylor! Sorry to hear about the news, you are at the beginning of it so I personally think you can beat the Diabetes, it's going to be work but you can do it. Make sure to subtract the carbs and fiber to come up with the net carbs, the net is the one you want to focus on. Find a good forum on here that you can check in regularly and get advise. I like **Are You A Daily Weigher? ^*^ Lets track this weight loss! DECEMBER 2016** Everyone is welcome, sometimes its quiet and other times not. Anyway find one that is right for you. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2016, 10:01 PM   #103
Gata
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gata
Hi everyone, love the forums!

Quick background -- female, 59, got to goal in 2007 on Medifast, maintained for three years, then the creep started.

Diagnosed with gluten intolerance in 2011 and ate every gluten free carby thing ever invented, just 'cause I could... oops!

Last year, decided I was done with dieting and started eating real food (love the book "Foodist" for this) and gradually found my way back to low carb because even non-gluten grains really bug my guts.

Got serious about LC in late September, and here I am 27 pounds lighter after 11 weeks. Eating twice as many calories a day as I did on Medifast!

I've morphed into keto, which feels like a lifetime way of eating for me (for all kinds of health reasons). Not sure how much more I want to lose (maybe at least 20 more), just kind of enjoying how good I feel!
Gata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:53 AM   #104
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Welcome all newbies!

Gata, I have been doing n.k. for 7 yrs. +. It is totally a lifetime way of eating. I am still loving it!!!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
We are butter together!
Old 12-15-2016, 09:49 AM   #105
Gata
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gata
Wow Clackley, that's awesome. I'm loving it, too!
Gata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #106
anabel
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: anabel
Newbie :)

Hey Everybody!
So glad I'm here. Been low-carbing (off and on) for 1 year and have fallen off 3 times. Been trying to do this on my own and decided maybe that was my problem, trying to hang on with no support system. Would like to become a part of Low Carb Friends so I could not only be encouraged, but give support and encouragement in return. Thanks for having me.
anabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:17 AM   #107
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Welcome Anabel! Jump in on the main forum and someone will always be available. I love this forum and hope you find it as useful as I do.

We are butter together!
Old 01-01-2017, 04:11 PM   #108
anabel
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: anabel
Happy New Year!!

Hoping to stick to my low-carb lifestyle. Plan to start the gym again too. I am 53 years old, 5ft 9in. and 160 lbs. While that doesn't sound too overweight, I feel more comfortable at 145-150lbs. Would like to get there and stay and being pre-menopausal, my weight fluctuates anyway and will probably get worse when I hit full menopause! Anyway, I'm going to give it my best shot. Hope everyone is well. Thank you for this website!!
Anabel-
anabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #109
Puppy love
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Puppy love
Stats: 203/126 /126
WOE: No sugar/grains-clean eating
Start Date: October 1, 2012
Anabel welcome. Come join us on the exercise forum under move it move it. All exercise and amounts are welcomed.
Puppy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #110
Southerngirl2101
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Southerngirl2101
Stats: 445/242/195
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Gastric Bypass 06/15
Hey, y'all! I am so glad I was introduced to this site. I am loving what I'm seeing and am hoping to venture out with my posting. Maybe even journal a little on here? I had gastric bypass in June 2015 and have lost 201 pounds. I want to say I am a success story, but I still have my days where it is hard. The big girl is still deep inside and she still loves food!!
Southerngirl2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:40 PM   #111
Let's Do This
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Let's Do This
Stats: 152.6/146/137
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: January 1, 2017
I'm "Let's Do This"

Hi All,
You can probably see from my username and icon that I'm psyching myself up! I've always used Weight Watchers in the past, but have mostly given up before I got to my goal. I only want to lose 13 pounds, and I'm hoping for pretty speedy weight loss so I can add some more veggies and fruits in. I'm starting out with induction, but will probably switch to the next phase before I get to my goal (140 pounds).

I'm 60 years old, 5' 5. I have IBS, and think that this way of eating will help, since wheat is definitely something I need to avoid.

I'm excited to find this great site! There's SO much experience and support here. Thank you for sharing your ups and downs, and how-to advice. I'm sure I'll visit often.
Let's Do This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #112
Lets_do_this!
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lets_do_this!
Stats: 5'7"...164/146.6/135
WOE: Atkins..LC...lchf
Start Date: LC since 01/15, lchf 5/16, lchf restart 11/16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's Do This View Post
Hi All,
You can probably see from my username and icon that I'm psyching myself up! I've always used Weight Watchers in the past, but have mostly given up before I got to my goal. I only want to lose 13 pounds, and I'm hoping for pretty speedy weight loss so I can add some more veggies and fruits in. I'm starting out with induction, but will probably switch to the next phase before I get to my goal (140 pounds).

I'm 60 years old, 5' 5. I have IBS, and think that this way of eating will help, since wheat is definitely something I need to avoid.

I'm excited to find this great site! There's SO much experience and support here. Thank you for sharing your ups and downs, and how-to advice. I'm sure I'll visit often.

Great minds think alike....with our similar member names, lol

Determination
\di-,ter-me-na-shen\
a: a fixed purpose, the power and will to persist, resolve, to have the drive, to have the grit, to go the distance, to be hell-bent on reaching a goal no matter what it takes.
Lets_do_this! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:10 PM   #113
Jackitup
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackitup
Greetings........

Hello, I'm Jon, been on a few forums over the years doing bbq, pizza and a lot of other foody things. Recently the Dr moved me from prediabetes ans metabolic syndrome to full on diabetes thus my searching for new ways of tuning my approach to recipes and intake to turn the tables some. Your site looks good so I'll lurk and poke my head in now and then. I recognize some names here already from other sites I've been on. Currently want to try some glucomanan/konjac powder recipes, savory like head cheese and sous and such, use it with gelatin, other ideas too. Where is the cheapest source to buy it in powder, say 1-5 pounds in bulk. Thanks and Happy New Year!!!

jon
Jackitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:14 AM   #114
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Hello Jon! I rarely use glucommanan powder anymore but when I bought it, I went to their own site. There is a great site right though that you can likely find anything you might want....

http://www2.netrition.com/

We are butter together!

Last edited by clackley; 01-03-2017 at 07:15 AM..
Old 01-03-2017, 09:36 AM   #115
cheri
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackitup View Post
Hello, I'm Jon, been on a few forums over the years doing bbq, pizza and a lot of other foody things. Recently the Dr moved me from prediabetes ans metabolic syndrome to full on diabetes thus my searching for new ways of tuning my approach to recipes and intake to turn the tables some. Your site looks good so I'll lurk and poke my head in now and then. I recognize some names here already from other sites I've been on. Currently want to try some glucomanan/konjac powder recipes, savory like head cheese and sous and such, use it with gelatin, other ideas too. Where is the cheapest source to buy it in powder, say 1-5 pounds in bulk. Thanks and Happy New Year!!!

jon

Check out Netrition! It supports Lowcarbfriends.com and has really great prices and flat rate shipping, so you can order a lot of stuff and not pay a huge amount to have it sent to you!! Here is a link for you..

http://www.netrition.com/

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:30 PM   #116
Dania
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dania
Stats: 229/229/165
WOE: Atkins20
Start Date: January 2017
Hi, everyone! Wow, what an awesome community. You guys have really encouraged and inspired me to get this weight off! I know this board is going to be a huge help.

Anywho, this is my first time doing low carb, so I've decided to go with Atkins20. I really need structure and a specific plan. It's only been day one, but I am loving it. It could be mental, but I feel a little less bloated and BIG. I am a little hungry (I think), but I am learning to not reach for food if I feel a tiny pang of hunger. I have to learn that I don't need to feel stuffed at all times. Crazy mentality, right?

I got down to 199 in August 2014. My lowest weight since maybe junior high? I was focused, eating so cleanly, working out 5-6 days a week and lost quite a bit of weight (30 lbs in 4 months). Then, I met my amazing boyfriend and honestly, just fell in love. We'd go to dinner, he always cooks for us, we love going out for drinks, concerts, traveling, etc. Since November 2014 I have slowly gained all my weight back, but I am determined to get it off. He and I are doing this together (he's on a diff WOE, but we are both dedicated to getting these pounds off.)

So, my goals for January are:
1. No alcohol
2. Work out 5 days a week (just light cardio for now, I need to see how my body responds to this WOE)
3. Meal prep - ZERO SLACKING!
4. Get 10,000 steps in daily
5. Drink MINIMUM of 2 liters of water a day (I currently drink 2.2 liters)
6. Lose 10 pounds

I am sincerely wishing everyone the best of luck. We are going to kick butt!
Dania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:41 PM   #117
Patience
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patience
Cutting alcohol is on my goal list too.

Watch out butts!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:05 PM   #118
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Grace1313
Stats: 236/188/175
WOE: Low Carb my way
Start Date: September 9th, 2016
Hello to all the new members, haven't checked in here for a minute. So many new people
Get familiar with the site, recipes, challenges, journals so much great stuff here. The best part are the people on here, lots of support. Pretty much everything you need, a long with your determination, to make your WOE work.

" I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be, but by the grace of God, I am not what I once was". - John Newton

Reminder to myself: share the grace I have been so freely given.

For Cynthia: I need food to fuel my body, not my emotions!
Grace1313 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:34 AM   #119
Puppy love
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Puppy love
Stats: 203/126 /126
WOE: No sugar/grains-clean eating
Start Date: October 1, 2012
Welcome to all...you can do anything you set your mind to.
Puppy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:00 PM   #120
WonderMonkey
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WonderMonkey
Stats: 274.8/257.5/200??
Start Date: Jan 3, 2017
Hello all, Mike here. Glad to find this place.

After my ball career was over, college started, family started, career started, coaching started, etc. suddenly I found myself at around 330 lbs. I didn't really LOOK that size as I carry it ok and under all that is still some semblance of the former ball player, but all that gets you is a lie to yourself when you walk by the mirror.

When my so graduated from high school and went to college I retired that part of my coaching career, though my involvement with my daughter's team would go from assistant to head coach. Still, I had more time so I got going.

I made it down to 284lbs before I found what I thought was going to be my life solution, and it actually WILL be, but I'm pausing on it for now. Using that, which was more about lifestyle change and tools to get there, I was able to get down to 230 lbs and become active again.

Then, injury. That was in early Jan of 2016. I tried to work through it, therapy, etc. but in late March I had to shut it all down and basically have no activity. That also started what is my "busy season" with coaching, and it ends in September. Fast forward to this past Monday and I'm 275 lbs and in the worst shape of my life, due to 9 months of basically just existing.

I was released to activity as of Jan 1 so I timed that up with starting Medi Weightloss this past Monday (1/3/2017). I understand the approach behind it and will use it to get a quick, short-term success and to also transition into what I'll do "going forward".

My return to activity was a heart rate cardio class at my local Crossfit box. It's not Crossfit, but it's at the location. When I feel my body has been tested and can take actual workouts I'll do Crossfit, something I was doing last year before I had to shut it down.

So .... hello all.
WonderMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote