Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-08-2016, 07:39 PM   #31
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
Hi Karen! I sure wish you would check in with us. This is a good group. Of course we all eat differently, but we're supportive of whatever works.

I am 58! I feel like you're telling my story, but I started more like a little over 180.

I started straight low carb, but quickly transitioned to keto - low carb, higher fat, moderate protein. This group sort of followed Barry Groves' Eat Fat Get Thin which is just that - low carb, don't fear fat but don't over-do fat, and moderate protein.

And this group has good cooks in it, so I was immediately attracted to them.

I am one who has started intermittent fasting. I l-o-v-e the idea of tricking my body/my metabolism and it's been good for me. I thought not eating would be difficult but it is not at all, at least for me. I am not willing, however, to do long fasts. I like eating in a short window. I really need it actually. I'll just keep putting "acceptable" things in my mouth....too much is too much and I need some discipline.

Glad to have you and good luck to you. I'll have to brush up on Stillman. I've done every single method except surgery, and I remember Stillman long ago, but not the particulars. What kind of beans are allowed on Stillman?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2016, 07:31 AM   #32
CindyCRNA
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Karen View Post
Hello JMCM, Cindy, Carolyn, SJL & Debby,

I'm wondering if I could hang out with your group (thread)? I just entered the site today and am trying to find a place or two to interact and get some weight loss support. Cindy mentioned Hy-Vee stores which makes me think that you might live in my corner of the world, Minnesota. We have Hy-Vee stores here and my understanding is that they are Minnesota only stores. I could be wrong about that.

I'm 59 years old, live in Minnesota and need to shed about 30 pounds. I never really had any problems with weight until I turned 50 and slowly I've been putting on about 3-4 pounds a year and now I'm too fat for my own good. I've been thinking about going to Weight Watchers but I hate doing that whole meeting thing and what I really need is a daily social group to keep me inspired. Your group sounds like my style but if you are a long-time group of friends who have been hanging out here and are not open to new-comers I totally understand. If not I'd love to get to know you, your weight successes, and any other things to pass the time while the pounds melt away.

I'm doing a version of the Stillman diet but am open to other ideas. I've done Stillman in the past to lose a few pounds, back when I was thin and THOUGHT i was fat.....ha ha I'd love to have those days back. But, with work hopefully I'll get back there in a few months. So I'll await your permission to join you. Are there more people than the five of you in this group? I don't see any more posts past Carolyn's post on 10/31/2016.
Hi Karen! I'm in Kansas City but have family in Zumbrota, Minnesota.

Any of you girls have a spiralizer? I have had one for 4 years and just started using it. I used it on an apple to make apple slaw and just used it on an english cucumber to add feta cheese, kalamata olives, tomatoes and peppercini peppers to make a greek salad of sorts.

My Avi is my horse Victor and me Heritage Park horse trials 5/16

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Hadel Briles
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:03 AM   #33
CindyCRNA
Always on, slightly off

Lewis:

Old 11-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #34
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

I have 2 spiralizers!
So far I've only used them for zoodles - zucchini noodles.
Love them!

More kitten pictures! More kitten pictures!
Old 11-09-2016, 11:04 AM   #35
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Still Karen
Stats: 173 starting weight
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Feb 15, 2017
Good noon to you all,

Thank you for welcoming me so kindly. Cindy, I live about 20 minutes from your family in Zumbrota, right outside of Rochester. It's a small world.

And JM, may I call you that for short, your post was very inspiring to me. Thank you! I have lots of questions for you if you don't mind. You said our weight gain story is similar, and yes we are also the same age (give or take a few months) so when you said you started at 180 lbs, well that makes me feel right at home since my weigh-in's are only a few pounds lower than that. I am doing the Stillman diet but I don't do it well, mainly because I don't like meat and Stillman is nearly all meat, so you can see my struggle. I do Stillman because it takes away my desire for carbs and I lose a few pounds. What I don't like is the food and the way it makes me feel (low energy, crampy tummy) but I don't really know what else to do. When I eat carbs I don't lose. So I'm interested in knowing what your food day looks like on the keto plan? And have you lost weight, and how much, and how long did it take to lose it? I'd rather have a plan that included vegetables and some fruits but I just don't seem to drop the pounds.

Part of my problem also is that I have chronic back pain from an auto accident and can't do the physical exercise that I used to do to burn more calories. Honestly, that is how I kept my weight in check until I was 50 was 45 minutes of walking each day and other physical exercise. Now I am limited to occasional 10-15 minute walks and limited house work.....bummer....because I've always been active and am still active at heart. So I have to figure out how to get the weight off and be content with lower calories each day.

With Stillman I add a few low cal veggies to keep my bowels moving and keep my head clear. All that meat just slugs me up. So any menu suggestions on the Keto diet might be very helpful. What is a typical day's food list.

And Carolyn....no I don't butter the beans, ever. I like them plain out of the can (home canned, I'm a gardener) and the three bean salad has olive oil in it.

And Cindy.....congratulations! It looks like you are at goal and doing well.

So tell me how your successes and losses are and how you got there. And thanks again for welcoming me.
Still Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #36
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi,

Hey, I fasted from 5 pm to 10:00 am..I probably could have gone longer, but I had to read at school..Didn't want to pass out on my little reading buddy..
Small steps..

I had a spiralizer somewhere...It does make great round zuke noodles.

That kitten is soo precious. Shall we have a name contest? or have you picked one out
already..The PG is good at names, too..He looks like a Sidney to me..LOL.

FB is kind of a place you want to stay away from today..LOL..

We got the nicest note from Sarah today for the past two weekends she spent with us. They invited us for Thanksgiving so we are going. Beth has to work that day, but we will try to catch her for lunch on Saturday once she has gotten over yesterday.

CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:11 PM   #37
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Good noon to you all,

Thank you for welcoming me so kindly. Cindy, I live about 20 minutes from your family in Zumbrota, right outside of Rochester. It's a small world.

And JM, may I call you that for short, your post was very inspiring to me. Thank you! I have lots of questions for you if you don't mind. You said our weight gain story is similar, and yes we are also the same age (give or take a few months) so when you said you started at 180 lbs, well that makes me feel right at home since my weigh-in's are only a few pounds lower than that. I am doing the Stillman diet but I don't do it well, mainly because I don't like meat and Stillman is nearly all meat, so you can see my struggle. I do Stillman because it takes away my desire for carbs and I lose a few pounds. What I don't like is the food and the way it makes me feel (low energy, crampy tummy) but I don't really know what else to do. When I eat carbs I don't lose. So I'm interested in knowing what your food day looks like on the keto plan? And have you lost weight, and how much, and how long did it take to lose it? I'd rather have a plan that included vegetables and some fruits but I just don't seem to drop the pounds.

Part of my problem also is that I have chronic back pain from an auto accident and can't do the physical exercise that I used to do to burn more calories. Honestly, that is how I kept my weight in check until I was 50 was 45 minutes of walking each day and other physical exercise. Now I am limited to occasional 10-15 minute walks and limited house work.....bummer....because I've always been active and am still active at heart. So I have to figure out how to get the weight off and be content with lower calories each day.

With Stillman I add a few low cal veggies to keep my bowels moving and keep my head clear. All that meat just slugs me up. So any menu suggestions on the Keto diet might be very helpful. What is a typical day's food list.

And Carolyn....no I don't butter the beans, ever. I like them plain out of the can (home canned, I'm a gardener) and the three bean salad has olive oil in it.

And Cindy.....congratulations! It looks like you are at goal and doing well.

So tell me how your successes and losses are and how you got there. And thanks again for welcoming me.
Call me Judy!
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond today. I stayed up late watching election returns and have been VERY lazy today. LOL

I lost to 147 which was a great goal weight for me. Just perfect for where I am right now. Not skinny, but will likely never be skinny.
I'm happy where I am now at about 150.

Keto is a carefully controlled animal. I lost to 147 on keto, but gained 5 or 7 pounds after not controlling myself perfectly.
And I don't regret it.
I weighed every single thing I ate, running that food amount through calculators showing me how much protein, fat, and carbs I was eating, and it was nearly a full-time job.
I still ate well and fairly diversely, but it was a big job to calculate and track every bite.

I now eat low carb, gluten-free (mostly grain-free but not always), and I often eat in a 5-hour window. I found I was a person who would eat low carb food frequently as a snack. And snack and snack and snack. I, unfortunately, needed to have large amounts of waking hours where I did not allow myself to eat.

Works well for me.

You don't like meat. Do you like eggs? Cheese? Nice protein there.
I am that rare person who never got constipated. In fact, eating higher fat, low carb, moderate protein makes me super regular.
Eat plenty of good saturated fats and plenty of salt unless you have issues (I don't) and you will "go".

I am soooooo sorry about your back pain.
That is a lot to deal with - including inflammation. So sorry.

What kinds of beans are you eating? Are they carby?
Old 11-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #38
CindyCRNA
Always on, slightly off

Karen, my success I attribute to hormone replacement (BHRT) and a well tuned thyroid.I seriously eat more than I did when I was 20!

Old 11-10-2016, 10:42 AM   #39
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Hello to the group -

Judy, thanks for taking time to tell me about your keto journey. I actually went out online yesterday and looked it up and it is very similar to what I am doing with the modifications to the Stillman diet, except I think I'm not being that strict, just the same foods. After looking through it I think I need to rethink my plan. After two days of doing the meat thing I'm totally unsatisfied and know I will not be able to stick to this much of a meat plan. I'm not vegetarian but even as a child I used to beg my mother to not put meat on my plate. I just don't like it. So I'm the person who likes a sprinkling of meat throughout the week, like a little ground beef in the spaghetti sauce or (hummmm...I'm having to think hard about examples so that tells you how little meat I eat). I do think when I have a little more meat that I have less hunger because it must stabilize my blood sugar or something so when I do my version of Stillman I eat meat or eggs or cheese 2-3 times every day which is not my usual habit.

What I do wrong while not concentrating on dieting is I snack too much on crackers, popcorn, and things like that that are too high in processed carbs. I used to be able to do that and get by with it but now with my decreased ability to exercise I simply do not burn off those extra 500-600 daily calories and over time I have gained slowly. So now, I need to figure out a way to get the weight off in a way that I can live with every day.

I was looking on the boards, this is a very interesting site, and I'm thinking that if I do eggs for breakfast (which I don't mind), chicken salad for lunch (4 oz chicken, 1 Tbsp mayo, 1 Tbsp chopped dill pickle) and lots of veggies throughout the day I think I could live with that. If I'm hungry I could add a slice of cheddar cheese and a deviled egg. I just don't do well without my veggies. So for today I'm going to try to do that instead of the beef steak and chicken breast thing. Blaaaaaaaaahhhhh, There is something about the meat being a little more soft out of the can that is less icky to get down.

The bean salad I make and love is:
1 can red beans (drained and rinsed), 1 can garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed), 2 cans green beans (drained), 1 med diced green pepper, 1 tsp dried onion flakes, 2-3 stalks diced celery, 3 Tbsp olive oil, 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, salt - stir and serve. This makes a nice bowl full and it usually lasts me for about 4-5 days so I'm eating about a can's worth each day.

I just need to be diligent and not do any other processed carb snacking and I think I might be able to drop the pounds. I don't do any sugary drinks, usually just water and iced tea. My hardest time of day is in the evening then I tend to reach for those snacks. That in part I believe is due to my back pain situation. After I have been up during the day I have to get off my feet so I tend to lay in bed or on the couch reading or watching TV (something I didn't do before the pain situation) and I've gotten into the bad habit of wanting to chew on crackers while I enjoy my book or show. I need to stop that. Because I can't physically do the things I used to do little by little my friend group has dwindled and honestly I think I have used food as a friend and something to do with my time. Why on earth do we women do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??? I have trouble sitting so all activities I used to do to keep my hands and mind busy (piano, gardening, walking, quilting, jigsaw puzzles, etc) are not an option anymore. It's frustrating, but the bottom line is that I need to learn to pacify myself without processed carb snacking. And in the mean while I have to do double duty with retraining my brain to not reach for the snacks and to cut enough calories to shed about 30 pounds. I think a group like this will help me with accountability once I figure out a food plan that I can live with long term to take off the weight.

Congratulations, Judy, for your 30ish pound loss. That is amazing and inspiring. I would totally fail at counting all those proteins etc on the keto diet so I think I just need to come up with a few foods that I can repetitiously eat throughout the week. I like eggs, cheese, canned chicken and tuna so do you have a better suggestion than what I have just outlined? I don't eat a lot of fruit - but some here and there, bananas being my favorite. Also, I'm not a person who desires a lot of variety in my food choices. We tend to eat the same stuff most of the time.

I noticed that Carolyn posted a fasting period. I can do that too but what amount of hours do you all find to be the most helpful for keeping your metabolism revved instead of working against you?

Thanks for listening and I look forward to simply chatting more lightly once we get to know each other more. I'll list my food list at the end of the day and maybe the group will have better suggestions for me. I welcome your help. Have a lovely day (nice 60 degrees here in Minnesota....way weird as it is usually in the 30's during the day this time of year).
Old 11-10-2016, 03:04 PM   #40
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Fasting is actually better for your metabolism than several small meals. I just got a newsletter today from Dr. Jason Fung who laid out great info about fasting vs. low calorie.

Here's an excerpt:
"Caloric restriction diets only work in the short-term, before basal metabolism falls in response. This is sometimes called ‘starvation mode’. Daily calorie restriction fails because it unerringly put you into metabolic slowdown. It’s a guarantee. Reversing type 2 diabetes relies upon burning off the body’s excess glucose, so the daily calorie-restricted diet will not work.

The secret to long-term weight loss is to maintain your basal metabolism. What doesn’t put you into starvation mode? Actual starvation! Or at least the controlled version, intermittent fasting.

Fasting triggers numerous hormonal adaptations that do NOT happen with simple caloric reduction. Insulin drops precipitously, helping prevent insulin resistance. Noradrenalin rises, keeping metabolism high. Growth hormone rises, maintaining lean mass.

Over four days of continuous fasting, basal metabolism does not drop. Instead, it increased by 12%. Neither did exercise capacity, as measured by the VO2, decrease, but is instead maintained. In another study, twenty-two days of alternate daily fasting also does not result in any decrease in RMR.

Why does this happen? Imagine we are cavemen. It’s winter and food is scarce. If our bodies go into ‘starvation mode’, then we would become lethargic, with no energy to go out and find food. Each day the situation gets worse and eventually we die. Nice. The human species would have become extinct long ago if our bodies slow down each time we didn’t eat for a few hours.Zaunder1

No, instead, during fasting, the body opens up its ample supply of stored food – body fat! Yeah! Basal metabolism stays high, and instead we change fuel sources from food, to stored food (or body fat). Now we have enough energy to go out and hunt some woolly mammoth.

During fasting, we first burn glycogen stored in the liver. When that is finished, we use body fat. Oh, hey, good news – there’s plenty of fat stored here. Burn, baby burn. Since there is plenty of fuel, there is no reason for basal metabolism to drop. And that’s the difference between long-term weight loss, and a lifetime of despair. That’s the knife edge between success and failure.

Fasting is effective where simple caloric reduction is not. What is the difference? Obesity is a hormonal, not a caloric imbalance. Fasting provides beneficial hormonal changes that happen during fasting are entirely prevented by the constant intake of food. It is the intermittency of the fasting that makes it so much more effective."

Simply put:
"So here’s your choices:

Caloric Reduction as Primary: less weight loss (bad), more lean mass loss (bad), less visceral fat loss (bad), harder to keep weight off (bad), hungrier (bad), higher insulin (bad), more insulin resistance (bad), perfect track record over 50 years unblemished by success (bad)
Intermittent Fasting: More weight loss, more lean mass gain, more visceral fat loss, less hunger, been used throughout human history, lower insulin, less insulin resistance.

Almost every medical society, doctor, dietician and mainstream media will tell you to use choice #1. I prefer to tell people to take choice #2."

I have mostly gone to one meal a day.
No breakfast, no lunch, but around 5 or a little later I'll break my fast with some kind of snack (a little cheese or some bites of leftover last night's dinner) and take all my vitamins with food.
Then not too much later we'll eat dinner, then I'm done.

A faithful member of this group is Sandy. She and her DH have recently retired so she's galavanting around having the time of her life. Otherwise she's VERY helpful, too. She'll get back on here, hopefully while you're still here.

Sandy got us looking at a style of intermittent fasting called "Fast Five". You can google it and watch a little video. The long and short of it is to confine your entire day of eating into 5 hours. Sandy doesn't even make her eating window very low carb. I do.
But it's quite an easy way to do intermittent fasting.

Sounds like with those beans I wouldn't know how to advise you regarding eating lower carb. They would be too carby for me, but nearly all of us on this board eat very differently, and pretty successfully. So if it's working for you, you should keep doing what works for you.

Bananas are quite carby. So if you were interested in doing keto, you'd eat a medium amount of protein - all the ones you listed as acceptable to you are just fine - but more fat and very little carbohydrate. No beans, no bananas.
That just may not be the thing for you. And that's fine. Your back problem sounds awfully frustrating and I'm sorry you're going through it.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #41
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Hi Judy,
You are so sweet to type all that info. Thank you.

I'll google the fast 5 after I get off of here tonight. It sounds interesting.

I did well with food today with calories coming in around 1300 for the day. After reading what you wrote it sounds like restricting calories is not always the best way to go, which I thought but didn't have any science to back it up. The fasting sounds interesting and if it is not too long (days at a time) I think I can work toward that....I'll read more about it.

So today's foods ended up being:
1/2 Evolv Shake 110 Cals 10 a.m.
1 1/2 cup 3 bean salad 265 noon
1 Lifebar (wholefood bar) 180 2:30
3 oz baked chicken 200 5 p.m.
1 cup coleslaw 450 5 p.m.
banana 100 7 p.m.
Total ..............1305

As you can see I'm still light on meat but this is a pretty good reflection of my normal day except normally I would have added about 600-800 extra calories worth of crackers, cookies, cereal, oatmeal, hot chocolate and/or popcorn. Not all of that but those are my typical snacking foods, all processed carbs. I've done the calorie counting and my normal calorie intake per day runs between 1900-2400 calories so if I can keep daily calories in the 1300-1500 area it seems like I should lose unless my metabolism slows from reducing calories.

I bought these Lifebar's last week from a company called Evolv. They are supposed to help boost metabolism. You're supposed to eat two a day but I've only been eating one each day so since I have them I thought I'd add them to my daily limit. They feel like you are getting a chocolate bar (sort of) so it is something that feels like I'm not giving up every enjoyable food...although I enjoy the foods I did eat today. Way better than the chicken and steak I had the last two day...that is just not sustainable for me.

Thanks for your help. And yes the back problem is a bummer but I work hard at not being depressed or discouraged about it. I've had chronic back pain for over 20 years but it has gotten debilitating in the last 5 years. This past year I've had about a dozen Radiofrequency treatments, burning off the nerves in my disc and spine area as well as spinal steroid injections and it has only helped minimally. My next step is a surgically implanted pain simulator but I'm not sure I want to do it because they are not always successful and require hours every day to recharge the battery (literally sitting in a chair or laying in bed for a couple hours in one spot to recharge the battery). The batteries only last up to 5 years then you have to have more surgery to replace them. So I have pretty much decided to go as long as I can before doing that....hopefully never. I'm not on narcotics for pain because I have bad side effects from those but I do use Tylenol and Aleve which helps for a few hours each day. The thing that ramps my pain is a lot of movement like exercising. I'm challenged to just get the shopping done and keep my house work up but I'm a "cleany" so I pace myself to keep my home neat and my wonderful husband is good to run the vacuum when I'm having flair ups. But like I said, I try to keep it positive and I'm sure the extra weight doesn't help with the pain but honestly I had the pain when I was 30-40 pounds less so I know my pain is not from the weight. It's complicated. So that's the story and I won't continue talking about it because I never want to be that person who is always talking about aches and pains but it is fair to explain the challenge of losing weight when you can't move the body to burn it off. Thanks for understanding.

So I'll go look up the Fast 5 on google and catch you tomorrow. Do you work? What are your hobbies or activities? Thanks again!!
Old 11-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #42
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

I'm back again tonight, Judy.

I just googled fast5 and I think I understand. Does that mean I could have had all the food I had today except I would have it during a 5 hour period of time ( like from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.) then from 6:15 p.m. until noon the next day I would be fasting with water only? If that is the basic concept I think I can do that. I'll try it tomorrow and wait to see your response. Interesting!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-10-2016, 08:56 PM   #43
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

You could have all that food, but I bet you will NOT have all that food.
That's the magic of intermittent fasting.
You might have all that food the first day, but very quickly your stomach will shrink.

You will begin to notice when you are ACTUALLY hungry and not just eating because it is time to eat or because you want to snack.
Honestly it's the intermittent fasting (fast 5) that has gotten me back down to my initial 30-pound loss. And easily.

If Sandy ever gets back on here you'll just be jealous. LOL
She has the metabolism of a 17-year-old boy, weighs under 140 and is like 5'6" or 5'7"? Not sure, but she's thin. Not without effort, though. She introduced us to Fast 5.

When I started doing Fast 5, I felt I ate too much in my window. I was almost "worried" when I saw the window closing and stuffed food in my mouth.

Not anymore. It becomes easier and easier and comes quickly, in my opinion.

Give it a try! You don't seem like a low carb person, so Fast 5 might be just the thing for you. Nothing lost if not.

Additionally, fasting is supposed to be very healing and quite natural for your body.
Don't really know about that, but I like thinking it might be true.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:58 PM   #44
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

It's a 5-hour window whenever you want.

If you have a day when you'll be meeting friends for lunch and you still want dinner with your husband, you just have a longer open window that day.
Go back to 5 hour window the next day.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:48 AM   #45
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Judy, thank you so much. I'm doing my first fast5 day. I'm not a person who usually eats because I'm hungry but rather that I've gotten into this boredom routine of eating because I can't do other things. I like the idea of the 5 hour window for two reasons. 1) because it shrinks the stomach and reduces hunger. 2) because it is a new routine that simply says "no! Until the clock turns 12 food is off limits and it ends at 5...or what ever times you choose.

I can deal with a few hours of being hungry but fasting for days at a time does not sound comfortable at all.

Thanks and have a nice day. I'll let you know in a day or two how it's going but I have a very good feeling about this.

One more question - so how quickly did your weight come off? Did you have a pretty consistent amount of weight that came off regularly each week?
Old 11-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #46
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Oh and (to the group)...it looks like you are all at your goal weights. Do you hang out here to keep your mind in the game of staying on course or are you trying to lose more weight too?
Old 11-11-2016, 09:03 AM   #47
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Cindy, I've been so tuned into the conversation with Judy that I totally missed your post to me. So sorry!!

The hormone replacement therapy thing is interesting. I'll see how I do with the fast5 plan but if I still can't move the needle on the scale I really should look into this. My problems with weight started when I was completely in menopause. It just seemed like something changed in my body, but then all these things were happening at once too. I was going through the "M" and my pain situation started getting more severe so my activity level was being reduced. Before 50 I used to mow the yard with our push mower. I loved mowing because that alone could always melt away the 3-4 pounds I would gain each year over the long Minnesota winters. I had to stop mowing about 10 years ago because it would literally put me in the hospital. I'm so jealous of people who can move their bodies. If you can do that be thankful everyday. I hope my problem is not hormonal because I don't want to take synthetic hormones because of the risk of cancer. What do your doctors tell you about that? Are the hormones safer now? Thanks for your input.

And do you have horses like in your picture? How fun would that be !!!!!
Old 11-11-2016, 05:00 PM   #48
CarolynF

Judy has great advice on the Fast5, Karen. For me, I cannot do carbs. Have to keep them around 20-30 a day. Are the Evolv products low carb?

Had a fun morning with my ladies. The cranberry walnut coffee cake was a big hit. Carolyn Ketchum's recipe.

Dh just came home from mowing the farm for the last time, he hopes. It's November!!!

we are going out to eat. I have $13.00 left on a gift certificate.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #49
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Hi Carolyn, The Evolv products are not low carb. The shakes have 17 grams and the bars have 20 grams. I usually only have half of the shake (1/2 cup Almond Milk & 1 scoop of powder) for 9 grams but still, from your numbers you would only be able to have one shake or bar per day. I've always been a shake drinker for breakfast. I missed mine this morning as I started the Fast5 and didn't start eating until noon but then I ENJOYED it at noon.

I developed an allergy to the carnation and slimfast shakes that I had used for years so I switched about two years ago to Evolv and have not had the allergy problem.

I had my first successful day of fast5. I think I'm going to be fine until noon tomorrow. It is an interesting concept. I counted my calories consumed and it came to 1333. It was interesting because I ate exactly what I wanted and was happy with the choices, didn't feel like dieting at all. I had my evolv shake, 2 deviled eggs, 1/2 c. coleslaw, 1 apple, 1 c. Three bean salad, 1/2 banana, 1 c. mixed vegetables, 2 oz chicken & 1 pop tart (weird because I never eat pop tarts but I had one hanging out in a box and it sounded like a nice dessert). I stopped at 5 p.m. and now I'm on my fasting hours. If I get through until noon tomorrow I know this is going to work for me as long as I actually drop weight.

Carolyn, are you saying that doing fast5 you still have to keep your carbs between 20-30 grams per day or you don't lose weight even if your calories are under 1500? Again, I'm learning here and will do the fast5 and see what the scale reveals in a few days. I won't step on the scale for about a week. I get too depressed about it if the needle doesn't move so I'll give it time to move. (fingers crossed)

Carolyn, who are your ladies? A group you meet with regularly?? And you are farmers, yeah for farmers. My husband and I used to farm but sold it 20 years ago. Now we back-yard farm in our lovely urban yard. We have beautiful flower gardens and a large vegetable garden. My sister-in-law says I'm not happy unless I have dirt under my fingernails (ha ha).

Enjoy your evening out!!
Old 11-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #50
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Hi Judy, Sorry to keep bugging you but I have more questions. I am wondering if you read the Fast5 book and if it is worth purchasing. I'm looking at it online and the author says "You should not expect weight loss until step 4, then a pound per week is reasonable". What is step 4??

If this is in fact just as easy as eating sensibly within a window of 5 hours a day it seems like reading the book would not be of value. If there are rules inside of the 5 hour window (like only so much fat, carbs etc) then it seems that reading the book would be helpful.

I'm just wondering if I'm doing it correctly. You can see what my meal was today in the post above this one. If you think I'm doing it wrong ,please let me know. As I said above - if this is all there is to it I think I am going to love this. If I can stay in the calorie area of 1300 each day that is at least 700 calories less than I normally consume. 700 x 7 days is 4900 calories divided by 3500 calories to a pound equals a 1.4 pound loss per week or about 5 pounds per month. I can live with that.

Sorry for taking up your time. This is just such an interesting concept and until you shared it I had not heard about it.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #51
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

The book is free. It's an e-book you can download.

Google "The Fast-5 Diet and the Fast-5 Lifestyle" by Bert W. Herring, M.D.

He advocates moving eating to later in the day - 5 PM. But I think if you are limiting your window of when you eat.

I am not a believer in the calories in/calories out theory, so I can't speak to that, sorry.

I like the Fast-5 for the exact reasons you do - it keeps it all under control!
There are times of the day I just easily tell myself "no". When before, maybe I would eat a handful of this or that. Gosh, it all adds up, doesn't it?

I cook a lot.
A lot.
I don't eat processed foods. That's my choice and it SURE does NOT have to be your choice, so put in your mouth what you think is best.
I don't have back problems or other aches or pains, so I can stand and chop and cook as I wish. I'm not sure you have that same choice. So the best you can do is the best you can do. Do that!

Do not think you are bugging me!

Carolyn that cranberry walnut cake sounds so good for fall! I must must keep low carb too, or I want to eat EVERY carb. LOL

I had lunch with old friends, then came home to Terrorist 3-yr-old Maddox (Karen that is my grandson LOL). DD had an appointment and I offered to keep him, forgetting I had the lunch date.
Maddox was a darling perfect 2-year-old, turned 3 about a month ago and WOW. LOL
I forgot what 3s were like! Toddlers....

He's exploding with speech (finally) and wants to do everything himself (good), but is finally expressing all his feelings and man, he has a lot of feelings. LOL

DD is due for her c-section 12/5. We are planning to keep Maddox with us while mom and dad are dealing with her surgery and brand new brother Milo.

DD failed her first glucose tolerance test, then passed her 3-hour glucose tolerance test.
Her doctor has recommended a LC diet!

So I am doing a little cooking for her. Luckily she knows very well how to eat low carb. Since she is pregnant, she says, she is now craving carbs like never before. I have given her a couple of LC cookies/candy things. She is grateful. Dec. 5 is her scheduled c-section.

DD feeds Maddox very low carb. At 3, he nearly looks like he has a six-pack! Strong and joyful, unless he's crying because he's 3. LOL I think he's really healthy with the absence of processed foods. She cooks nearly every meal. They rarely eat out. Very proud of her.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:52 AM   #52
CarolynF

Hi everyone,

So, I decided to just have coffee and heavy cream for breakfast and try to make it until lunchtime. I have to start small and I'm so afraid of feeling faint from not eating, even
though I have lots of body fat to burn.

Karen, I'm no farmer..but Gary was brought up on a farm an hour from here. His parents are gone, but they keep the property/house for hunting (brother Glen) and rent out the land
for farming. But, they still have to mow the lawn around the house, so Gary does that.

Yes, everyone is different..If weight loss doesn't occur, then you switch plans, cut carbs..
I am insulin resistant and can't eat more than 30 carbs a day..I have been a bad girl these
past weeks and learned my lesson. So, I'm back on plan..

Oh..that little baby is almost here. Glad Maddox is chatting up a storm. It is so much fun
to hear them express themselves..

I am with Judy on the calories in/calories out. When I was 185, I was eating 150 carbs a day and probably only had 1500 calories and was exercising. Wish I knew that carbs made
me fat years back..It has been a life changer for me.

Each Friday I meet with my Accountability group from church..We take prayer requests and
share our struggles and triumphs..It is a great group of ladies. Usually the snacks are grapes/cheese and nuts..

How is baby Lewis doing, Cindy???

Old 11-12-2016, 05:49 PM   #53
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Checking in...

The fasting is going well and I think I'm liking it. Already I'm finding that when the eating time comes around that I'm content with less food which is encouraging. I ate higher calorie foods today so my total calorie count is higher, 1900, mainly because its the weekend and my husband is around so I fixed foods he likes. We had cheeseburgers for lunch, mid day I was cold and had a cup of hot chocolate then for supper we had pizza. My window was 5 and a half hours but only because I was trying to work on my husband's meal schedule. I have a feeling that weekends might go this way. Tomorrow we have plenty of left overs in the fridge so I'll be able to stick to lower calories.

Judy, I found the downloadable book and am reading through...thank you!

After hearing both of your stories I hope I don't have to cut carbs as low as you. I just can't imagine what you eat except meat, eggs, and cheese to get the carbs that low. But I am hopeful that by cutting calories that I can make this work and the fasting is definitely helping with that. Even though I had higher calories today it is still lower than what I would normally have had before dieting so if I have a couple higher calorie days each week the average intake should still be lower than what I had before dieting. We'll see if my theory works when I do a weigh-in.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend
Old 11-12-2016, 07:15 PM   #54
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey - if you can lose weight eating the way you're eating, go for it!!
I have more than a little feeling I personally lack the discipline most other people have. I have found the fasting to be my discipline - like you have. It's amazing, isn't it? You thought you'd be starving, thought you'd bury your face in food, etc. but no, your stomach can only hold so much.

My husband is a type 1 diabetic and my dad died of complications with type 2, so I'm always going to lean low carb, hoping to avoid being type 2.

Sandy (WHERE ARE YOU SANDY?? ) eats about like you do because she fasts most days then eats one meal a day, not low carb. She lost to a weight in the 130s that she could not achieve strictly eating low carb. Fasting is kind of magic.

My personal opinion is that eating more calories and fewer calories some days is good to keep our bodies guessing. I think whatever we're doing, our body will adapt. Good to shake things up.

We have another person, Debby, who hasn't posted as often recently, but lost to a good weight deliberately increasing and decreasing calories each day. She had an exact number for the number of calories for each day but I don't remember it, sorry.

Keep going with your experiment! Sounds like it's working out so far!
Old 11-12-2016, 07:43 PM   #55
DebbyL
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Yeah sorry I haven't been posting much. Thyroid has thrown me off this year & I'm not really sticking to any WOE much. Its kind of like hitting your head against a brick wall, when things are out. I'm actually seeing a tiny movement down on the scale, over the month, with eating not so well... and my energy is just barely starting to pick up... so am hoping there is some healing happening... meanwhile I keep trying to get back to cleaner eating & moving more.

Welcome Karen!

Hope you are all well
Old 11-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #56
CindyCRNA
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Oh and (to the group)...it looks like you are all at your goal weights. Do you hang out here to keep your mind in the game of staying on course or are you trying to lose more weight too?

We hang out here because we like each other. Most of us started with this plan but as we ventured to other plans or none at all, we kinda stayed here because we all like each other and like to hear what we all are doing and we talk about whatever plan we are on, even if it isn't EFGT. We love new friends so please stay and welcome aboard. No matter what plan you choose (and we want to hear about it!) feel free to call this home.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #57
CindyCRNA
Always on, slightly off

And we like cats so you have to like cats!

Old 11-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #58
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
And we like cats so you have to like cats!

But it's true.
You have to like cats.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #59
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Debby, I'm on a FB page where one young girl, with a son about (totally guessing here) 18 months?? has finally been prescribed thyroid meds.

She has taken WAAAAAAY more than prescribed and today said, "you guys, I finally feel like getting out of bed today." Or similar.
She needs thyroid meds!! She has been super lethargic/despondent for months and months and months.

That Stop The Thyroid Madness page advocates for treating to the symptoms.

I'm so sorry you've had such a bad thyroid year. I feel like you got back from your long trip to Europe with those problems and haven't yet recovered. I hope I'm wrong.

But if you are moving in the right direction, I am glad for you.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #60
DebbyL
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Yes Judy, that's exactly when it started... I went off my meds in Germany, because of the overheating... thought that would stop the heat intolerance. It didn't. I still can't get answers from my Dr about the overheating, but working on getting the thyroid meds balanced again. It takes a very long time.

I hope your friend is ultra careful with her meds... taking too much does damage as well. Its a very complicated system we have.