Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #61
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Still Karen
Stats: 173 starting weight
WOE: Fast5, calorie counting
Start Date: November 8, 2016
Thanks for being so welcoming. I can sense through the words that you all enjoy each other and I hope you'll come to enjoy me as I am quickly coming to enjoy all of you.

Confession....I don't like cats (or dogs, turtles, mice, pets)....don't know why but pets have never been my things but I'm happy that you all do so I'll be happy for all of you that you have the pets in your house and not in mine. Can we still be friends??

Debby - so sorry that you are having trouble with your thyroid, that has to be very frustrating.

Judy - yes, staying clear of diabetes is a good plan. Not fun either. And thanks for the comment about mixing up the calorie days. I have heard that before and it makes sense to me to which is why I didn't have any guilt about having 600 more calories today than the last three days. I'll keep mixing it up and I'm hoping to be able to have some low cal days, like in the 600-800 days too. Again, thanks for sharing this concept. I came to these boards dreading it because I didn't have a good hopeful plan but I feel like this might work. We'll see (and it has been surprisingly easy...got to love that).
Still Karen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2016, 08:47 PM   #62
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Karen View Post
I'll keep mixing it up and I'm hoping to be able to have some low cal days, like in the 600-800 days too. Again, thanks for sharing this concept. I came to these boards dreading it because I didn't have a good hopeful plan but I feel like this might work. We'll see (and it has been surprisingly easy...got to love that).
I bet you'll see something positive from this. I am sure our bodies are able to adapt to anything. Changing it up seems to be a great thing for us.

All right, we'll let you off the hook about cats.
FOR NOW.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:17 AM   #63
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi gals,

Debby...have you had your hormones tested? I hope your dr can figure out your thyroid.

Karen: Cindy has 2 beautiful horses.

I did pretty well yesterday with my creamy coffee breakfast. Today I had a bit of homemade yogurt with heavy cream added. Trying to keep the insulin response low until lunch.

Yesterday Dh and I put Gila film on one of our sliding glass doors in our living room. The sun was beating in on our new furniture. One more tomorrow. Following directions is crucial..I was pretty good about keeping my opinions to myself.

Off to the shower...

CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #64
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hi gals,

I was pretty good about keeping my opinions to myself.
Old 11-13-2016, 01:22 PM   #65
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/143.8/140-145 5'6"
WOE: Fast-5 intermittent fasting
Start Date: January 2003
Hi everybody!!! And welcome Karen!! It sounds like you've jumped in and are enjoying Fast-5ing. I think it's the best plan I've ever found!! I would strongly suggest one thing more that Judy didn't mention. Find an article of clothing that doesn't fit and try it on weekly. This plan seems to melt fat away without reducing the scale numbers all the time so having that article to try on is just another visual that helps you see your progress. Also, in all my years of dieting, of which there are MANY, I've NEVER been on a plan where I weigh the exact same thing for multiple days in a row! But if you stay faithful you will see a drop. Just keep doing the fast 5 and relax.

I got myself in a bit of trouble this summer by enjoying camping and company a bit too much and gained some of my weight back. I got back to doing Fast 5 and all was going quite well. Then my family Dr told me my thyroid medicine dose was too high. I argued with him that I felt great but told him I would reduce it and see how that goes. Well, since I've reduced my dose my energy level has went way down. And my weight loss has slowed/stopped. Not good. So starting today I'm going back to my regular dose that Ive been on for years. This family Dr is pretty new to treating me for anything except for occasional illness and my Dr who manages my thyroid has been fine with my numbers in the past, so I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

The reason I've been MIA lately is my dad had hip replacement surgery and is now at a rehab facility. So in between visiting him and running around to pick up stuff for him and checking his house I've been helping my DH stain our deck and doing some inside maintenance to our house. We'd like to get as much done as possible before we head south for the winter. That way when we get home in the spring we'll be ready to list the house and get ready for our move. I've been keeping up with your news but just haven't had a lot of time to post.

Karen, I am a daily weigher and have been for over 15 years. I can handle the day-to-day ups and downs. I know some people can't and that's ok. But that's how I know how crazy the actual numbers can be on this WOE. And I did get into the 130s, for a minute anyway. But I really don't think I can sustain that weight and I'm not sure I even want to. But it did feel good to be there for a little while. I'm happy with my goal window of 140-145 and that's where I'm striving to get back to permanently. I'm just a couple pounds from that now and hopefully will be there before too much longer.

Food can wait!
There. Will. Always. Be. Food.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #66
CarolynF

Hi...

Sandy, I agree with you..Most doctors freak out when they see the TSH practically nothing, but some doctors "get it" and will say it is fine and look at the Free T3 and T4, which is the real indicator of thyroid function. Just do your thing, gal and as long as your heart isn't throbbing, you are okay. Glad you dad is doing okay. You know, he is a good catch..Watch out for those other rehabbers..

Did drop a couple of pounds today..Still not where I should be at all..I loved my 140-145 window..Gotta get back there by limiting my carbs, which I did today..I have started watching blood sugar readings, too to make sure I'm not eating hidden carbs.

Nice day out there...Honestly, I feel so much better than I have felt since May. I think the allergy shots are kicking in. It has been about 2.5 months of shots and they seem to be making me feel better. I still have itchy eyes and a sniffly nose, but I can tolerate that.

Dh doesn't want to work on the other window today..Maybe he'll get after it tomorrow..he says.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #67
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

I'm not worried about somebody snagging my dad. He absolutely wants no part of women in a romantic way, period. And we've all encouraged him to not be so negative about that. He's had opportunities, believe me, but he's just not interested in any way. I think it would be really good for him but he says no way.

Food can wait!
Old 11-13-2016, 05:46 PM   #68
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Hi Everyone,

Hi Sandy thanks for welcoming me into your group. I definitely feel at home here. You are all a very nice bunch of ladies. I appreciate you!! So sorry to hear that you father is struggling. I hope he is up and feeling better soon.

Thanks for the info about the scale not always telling the story. I plan to weigh tomorrow (Monday)for the first time to get a number. I read the entire fast5 book last night and I feel like I have a handle on the plan. I actually went 20 hours fasting yesterday and today before I entered my window today. I'm finding this rather easy and I don't have any of the side effects (headache, nausea, dizzy etc). I do have hunger pangs from time to time but they only last about 20 minutes and a big glass of water or tea seems to quiet them. I'm a little odd in that I enjoy drinking a cup of hot water and that really seems to quiet the pangs too. You know, one thing I'm discovering is that with this 5 hour window there isn't time for snacks and treats. I find myself not choosing them because I want to get solid nutrition in so I don't have blood sugar spikes. The last thing I want to do is load up on candy or something that will drop my sugar level right as I'm finishing my window. If I did that I know I would be eating longer to get the blood sugar level under control which would add more calories to my day.

Carolyn - so sorry that you have been suffering with seasonal allergies. That is miserable.

Sandy & Judy - Did you find your weight loss on fast5 was around a pound a week overall like the author stated? I'm just trying to figure out what to reasonably expect. I was hoping I would lose 2 pounds a week (always impatient aren't we). I need to drop 30 pounds so at that rate I would not reach goal until June.....blahhhhhhhhhh. That is a long time and honestly I'd like to lose another 10 pounds past that if I can which would put me at September of next year. That is a long time to be on a fast like this. But, I packed the weight on so now I have to pay my dues and be in dieting prison for the duration until I have corrected my sin. I have to keep my head in the game this time!!!

Today's calorie count was 1124 - Whahoo, my lowest yet and honestly I feel very full. My window closed 30 minutes ago but I finished eating 90 minutes ago so that is encouraging.

I hope you all had a good calorie/point/window/low carb day too.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:25 PM   #69
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

I think a pound a week is doable. I just went back and checked my log and I lost about 17 pounds in 21-22 weeks last year and that was going through Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years speed bumps along the way. I also wasn't perfect for many weeks when I first started doing it. My granddaughter and her best friend are doing this now and they are focusing on doing it low carb and are having wonderful losses. They are in their 20s though, so I know we can't go by their experience for sure. They both love it too! I think it's important to not look at this as a "diet" for X amount of time or X amount of pounds. It's a great lifestyle that allows for special flexible days when needed. I'm living proof that if you go back to what you were doing before you'll probably start gaining it back. And none of us want that, right?! I just hate that it seems like every single social thing in our lives revolves around food!!

Food can wait!
Old 11-13-2016, 06:26 PM   #70
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

I forgot to say that my granddaughter and her friend have one day a week that they still do Fast 5, but they have whatever kind of food or drink they want on that day.

Food can wait!
Old 11-13-2016, 06:47 PM   #71
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

So for all of you who are doing low carb versions what foods and amounts are on a typical day, especially those of you who do fast5? When I hear low carb I think of lots of meat, eggs and cheese which I am not fond of so what other foods do you eat on that plan? I'm wondering if I did a couple days each week of low carb if it would speed my progress.

Here's what I had today:
1 Evolv Shake w/Almond Milk 200 Cals
1 c. 3 Bean salad 144 cals
Sprouted Wheat toast w/ Pecan Butter 180 cals
1/2 banana 50 cals
1 cup rice w/2 oz chicken 400 cals
Fiber bar 150 cals
Tea & Water 0

Total 1124 Cals

As you can see I am eating very high carbs but nothing very processed. I hope the fast5 works with this many carbs. If I would have had another hour to eat I would have had a salad, I normally have more veggies than this but today just didn't work that way but I'm very satisfied.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:49 PM   #72
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Yah, Sandy....those 20 year old metabolisms....wow in my 20's I could drop a pound a day on the Stillman diet. I usually only had 4-7 pounds to take off, it was always in the spring after being shut in all winter and with holiday eating but it didn't take much effort. But now at age 59....not so easy anymore. But, I'm trying
Old 11-13-2016, 06:57 PM   #73
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Whahoo...I just found low carb, high protein recipes on the Vegetarian Thread on this forum. Yeaaaaaaaaaaa, that is my food style. I'm checking it out.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:58 PM   #74
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Karen that's what you should do - look at vegan low carb things.

I am sorry - I don't do vegan or anything near it. And I don't do calories, sorry.
You will find what is best for you!
Old 11-14-2016, 03:50 PM   #75
CarolynF

Hi everyone,

Well, we finished the second window to keep the sun out...We shall see tomorrow how it works.

Had my tree/mold allergy shot today..

No vegan here, either..Soy is bad for my thyroid...But whatever works for you, Karen..We all have to find out our path..

I agree, Sandy..After you have been off sugar, you really notice how people gravitate to it and it is everywhere..everywhere and people don't even blink twice gobbling down some sugary thing..

Old 11-14-2016, 05:28 PM   #76
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

I did my first official weigh-in and was down 3 pounds, down to 170. We all know how first weeks of dieting goes, it seems like you get the biggest drop of weight that week so the real test will be to see what next Monday reveals.

1374 calories today, very satisfied.

I had a bit of a breakthrough today with no hunger pangs during the day. My window opened with me being ready to eat but I wasn't watching the clock to see when I could begin eating my food. Also, when I went to bed last night I wasn't bothered with hunger. Very encouraging!!!

The Fast5 book says to begin eating a 5 p.m. and end at 10 p.m.. I'm opening the window at noon and closing at 5 p.m. That is still a 19 hour fast, same as the 5-10 p.m. hours so it seems like it should work the same. Besides, I never like going to bed feeling full and if I waited until 10:00 I would be doing dished at 11 p.m. and not getting to bed at a reasonable time for our family.

I hope you all had a good day.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:34 PM   #77
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

I'm not a total vegan but I do like my veggies and some fruit. Eating large amounts of meat and little or no veggies just doesn't make this girl happy at all. As it is, I've added several ounces of meat each day which is more than I normally eat but I do seem more satisfied (less hunger and sugar spikes) by having a little bit of meat. Today's meat was a fish sandwich from McDonald's, no fries, and no mayo sauce. If I lose weight on this is will be because I'm not snacking on crackers, cookies, candy and other processed flour foods. Already I'm knocking at least 600 calories each day from my calorie count and closing the window is really helping me to quit the snacking. Yeahhhhhhhhhhh.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:08 PM   #78
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Good for you, Karen! 3 pounds is 3 pounds. Good start.
Gotta say....that fish sandwich does not sound good to me. HA HA! But honestly - whatever works for you.
I agree, the window closing is great regarding snacking - or keeping us from snacking.

Carolyn how often do you get those shots? And you think they're working? I cannot believe how all of a sudden I am super allergic person. So affected I lose my voice for more than 2 weeks! Ugh.

Went to Oklahoma City today with my mom and my sister to visit a cousin. Nice visit. Fun ride in the car for us - good chance to talk.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #79
CarolynF

Yeah, Karen!

I get my shots every week for a period of months. I haven't felt good since May because
Each week brings another allergy into play. But, he said you will feel better about 3 months and I am feeling better. Everyone I talk to says this year is the worst ever for allergies in our area. I would check out the shots.. allergy clinic of Tulsa.

Sad news...my sisterinlaw's mom died last night. She has been such an integral part of my baby brother and his wife's life since my mom died 13 years ago. Pray for Jeanne and Brad. No service, just scattering of her ashes. She was 83. She thought she had pneumonia but found out she has extensive cancer on Sunday and then she died.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:18 PM   #80
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh no! How shocking!! I'm very sorry and I will pray for them.
What sad news for them - and you thinking of them.

I agree this has GOT to have been the worst year for allergies in our area. No winter last year. I saw a post from Debby on FB that she doesn't have snow yet. Weirdly hoping for a really good winter!
Old 11-15-2016, 07:27 PM   #81
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Carolyn....so sorry that you are battling those terrible allergies and such sadness in your family with the death. So very sorry.

Judy....glad you had a fun road trip with family. What would we do without fun times like that with the folks we love?

Another great 5 hour window, 1430 calories today. I'm so impressed at how this kind of fasting really stabilizes blood sugars so you don't crave snacking. I'm convinced that we are little grazing, snackers because of the rise and fall of our blood sugar. I still have times when I want to eat outside of the window but I'm not crazy with cravings like before. THANKS AGAIN JUDY!!!!!!!

We had another 50 degree day in Minnesota but the snow angels are on their way. Our forecast is for tomorrow to be the last nice day. We've been warned to get our shovels ready for the weekend.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:36 PM   #82
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

LOL - glad you are as excited about it as I have been.

Sandy was right to have you try on something that is too tight and even if the scale doesn't show it, see if your piece of clothing shows it.
That happened to me.
The scale weight loss did follow, but it was weeks, it seemed.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #83
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

Carolyn, that's so sad about your SIL's mothers death. I'll remember her family in my prayers.

I love a good road trip with the girls!! Sounds like you had a great time Judy.

Karen, so glad it's going well for you so quickly!! I've found when you get "in the groove" doing this WOE it's very easy to stay there. I love how it corrects your appetite.

Our long range forecast for this winter is for more than normal snow fall and colder than normal temps. I just hope we beat the snow when we leave town!!!

Food can wait!
Old 11-15-2016, 09:12 PM   #84
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

I follow some meteorologists on twitter and FB. They say there IS a la nina, there ISN'T a la nina.
Now they're back to "there is."
The cold is coming, it's just a couple of weeks late. LOL
Sounds like a meteorologist.

But I do believe it's coming...

Karen I saw Minnesota right in the big fat middle of that coming cold front.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:02 AM   #85
CarolynF

Thanks, ladies..Peg was the last of the "parents" to die..So we are little orphans..or old orphans.

Yikes, I saw Minnesota was going to get some snow..Keep us posted Karen...Glad the plan is going well for you.

My college roommate face booked me last night..We keep in touch from time to time, but it is nice to hear from that sweet gal. She weighs 90 pounds. She got good genes..

Dying my hair, finally..Then reading with my 2 boys and helping my knitting student put on some pom poms. She is going to try to sell her stuff at a Craft Fair this week.

Gary brought crackers in the house for a men's meeting last night. I am a Crackeraholic, so we will have to bury them in the freezer or throw them away.

We have a lovely day here..Didn't check the forecast though..

Another day to be "good" on my plan.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:25 AM   #86
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

I have never had crack, but it can't be as good as crackers and chips.
They are off my list of foods to eat, but if they find their way into my home, all bets are off.
I have poured tap water over open packages to save myself. LOL
Old 11-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #87
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Judy, I laughed out loud at your comment about crackers and chips. They are definitely my "drug of choice". However, I do tend to have a short memory if I put things in the deep freezer in the basement. There is definitely something about the "out of sight, out of mind" trick that works for me. I hope the freezer worked for you Carolyn with those meeting crackers.

What does WOE stand for? I keep seeing it on your posts?

I changed the beds this morning and put on the flannel sheets. Old man winter is coming to the north country.

Sandy, I didn't have to hunt far to find clothing that fits too tight. I feel like a stuffed sausage in ALL my clothes and I refuse to buy more (size 16). My pants do feel slightly more comfortable but honestly they feel like they do when I drop 3 pounds. You see, for the last 2-3 years I haven't gained weight I just keep losing 3-5 pounds then I pile them back on. You know, it's been the same numbers just going back and forth between a high of 175 down to 169 then back up. So my pants are now fitting like 169-170 pounds. Now the true test of the Fast5 will be to see if I can break through that 169 wall and keep reducing. I hope so because even though this is supposed to be a lifestyle it still feels like a diet. While I am content I still am having trouble with NOT WANTING snacks in the evening. But....I've been good at closing that door and keeping it shut until the next day at noon. Whewwwwww!!

You have all said that the weight drop goes slowly, which is so discouraging but....I ate all those chips and crackers so I'll deal with my big fat sin and try to get this fat behind moving back toward the size 10's that used to be me. Thanks for being here to talk to each day. I can tell that it is keeping me accountable.

Do you know what I'm looking forward to the most??? Not being out of breath while walking and climbing the stairs. I never used to be breathless but I have been for quite a while and I know that is not healthy. My frame was not meant to hold 170, 160, or even 150 pounds. But I'm sure I will feel better as I see those numbers again.

Have a good day!
Old 11-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #88
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

WOE=way of eating

Hang in there Karen. It really does get easier the longer you do it.
I can't wait to hear your successes!

I finally dropped down into my safe window today. Barely, but I'm there. I wonder why I don't really feel very safe though, lol.

Food can wait!
Old 11-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #89
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
WOE=way of eating

Hang in there Karen. It really does get easier the longer you do it.
I can't wait to hear your successes!
What Sandy said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
I finally dropped down into my safe window today. Barely, but I'm there. I wonder why I don't really feel very safe though, lol.
I knew you'd get there just fine. And if you need to get there again because you're enjoying your life, you'll get there again!
Old 11-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #90
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Well, I just had to post one more time tonight. I just added up my stats for the week. After 7 days of dieting (I'm going to call it dieting because it still feels like it to me) I had a total calorie count of 9707 for the week. I know that my usual weekly calorie consumption before "dieting" was about 14,000 calories per week so when I subtract my calories from this week that is 4,293 uneaten calories this week. Using the calorie calculation of 3500 calories = a pound I should lose 1.2 pounds per week or 5 pounds per month at this calorie restriction level. I know, I know.....that's what the author of the book said too. So at that rate I will be doing this for at least 6 months to lose 30 pounds. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So that is from now until May..........Ahhhhhhhhhhhh (sighs).

Now that I know I will not starve to death I'm going to try to figure out how I can cut my carbs for the next 7 days and see if I can get my daily calorie count down into the 1000 range. That would put me at an expected 2 pound loss per week and 9-10 pounds loss per month. That is my challenge for tomorrow.

Sandy, why did you say you don't feel safe in your window? Is that because you have been off of your window for a while and are just now getting back into that 5 hour window so it feels a little shaky or is it because it is hard to do with your work/social schedule? I'm confused by your statement after the members of this group called you the "champion" of fast5.

And speaking of social lives - what do you all do? I don't have much of a social life due to my chronic back pain situation and I work only part time from home. Before my disability I worked in a couple different medical facilities as a medical receptionist and then for two small businesses as their office manager. Now I'm home working for a non-profit organization I began 7 years ago. Social life....ummm, not so much, I keep to myself at home. One thing about not having a social life is that I can diet without much interruption. How about you?

Got to go watch Survivor....my weekly date night with hubby.