Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-21-2016, 07:34 PM   #121
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/143.8/140-145 5'6"
WOE: Fast-5 intermittent fasting
Start Date: January 2003
No Karen, I don't eat low carb while doing Fast 5. I pretty much have what I want during my window. I don't really like to list what I eat very often just because I don't eat low carb and this is a low carb site. I totally believe in low carb, don't get me wrong, But this works for me and gives me a lot of freedom so that's what I'm sticking with. As long as it works anyway.

Food can wait!
There. Will. Always. Be. Food.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #122
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
Hmmmm... do you like to cook? Or are you willing to cook? Those are definitely 2 different questions!

I decided to eat low carb, higher fat, moderate protein for the health benefits.

Processed food doesn't appeal to me for health benefits, so eating real food that I've prepared or my husband has prepared, has worked well for us.

In fact, I started eating this way for health, not for weight loss.
And of course I lost 30 pounds. LOL

There are any number of websites available or huge numbers of books available to give some low carb specifics. I admit, I love trying all the different "breads" and desserts, so I'm not sure my examples would be helpful, but I'll do it anyway.

If I were starting again, I'd make coconut flour pancakes in the morning, with peanut butter, and sugar-free syrup. If I was a super hungry person, I'd add an egg or 2 to that breakfast.

Waiting at LEAST 4 hours, my lunch would be a salad with some turkey or chicken and home-made ranch dressing. My salad would have green pepper, black olives, celery and if I had them open, artichoke hearts... you know - a good salad.

My dinner would be a meat with vegetables.

I like to make desserts that are low carb and yes, only 1 serving per day. I admit after the first day, I am less interested in what I made and am looking for the next thing to make!

My daughter is due to have her c-section in a couple of weeks and must eat low carb, so I'm cooking for her a little bit, too. She and her husband and toddler LOVE pizza crusts. My 3-yr-old grandson just likes it topped with pizza sauce and cheese. So it's nearly a fast-food meal, but it's home made.

I have bought a lot of low carb products and I really like them and use them a lot. So many people have bought these things and never use them, so I'm not really trying to get you to buy anything. It might not fit with you.

The pizza crust has a lot of mozzarella cheese, and Jennifer Eloff's baking mix, which is a mixture of almond flour, oat flour, and coconut flour. None of those things are cheap. If you want any recipes, just ask. This is such a great group for recipes. But we do use a variety of low carb ingredients.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:41 AM   #123
Lori_:)
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 223/174/160(?)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 1/1/13
Good Morning!

Another successful day on Fast 5! I feel like I didn't eat enough yesterday, so I'm afraid waiting until 12 or 1 to eat today may be very difficult. I was quite hungry when I went to bed last night, but was able to sleep. I'm heading to boot camp for cardio boxing in a bit. I love hitting that heavy bag! Hoping it kills my appetite for a good while.

I eat low carb, but simply. I don't make the desserts or anything fancy as if I want a dessert, I splurge on the carbs and move on. My favorite easy meal is ground beef cooked with shredded cabbage and spices. I put a bit dollop of sour cream on it and YUM! I make a big pot of that mixture and it makes a bunch of meals for me. I also eat a lot of Swiss cheese. Too much, in fact. I don't eat enough veggies, but try to have a good salad every once in a while. It remains to be seen if my way of eating combined with Fast 5 will work....January 1 will tell the tale!

Heading to the grocery store sometime today to gather all my Thanksgiving meal items. I'll pick up my fresh turkey tomorrow as well as the pies that I ordered. I'm only having 4 for dinner, so really going to try not too cook so much volume! I always have enough for an army!

Have a lovely day!
Old 11-22-2016, 05:06 AM   #124
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Good morning!

Sandy, the fermented carrots were a bit strong. I think next time I will just ferment them for a couple of days. They were supposed to be fermented for 2 weeks.

Karen, there are so many low carb books out there that will give you the science behind eating lowcarb. Atkins books are great, of course. If you are interested in eating ketogenic, then Keto Clarity is very good. Some people can get away with eating more carbs, like Sandy, but I cannot, like Judy. If I did Fast 5 and ate carbs during my eating period I would gain weight.

Lori, go early to the store! Yesterday at 9:30, it was a mad house. !!!

That pound cake looks amazing and I have all the ingredients!!

CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:50 PM   #125
CarolynF

Old 11-22-2016, 12:51 PM   #126
CarolynF

Did I scare you? I couldn't make it smaller. I knit this hat for Sarah's nephew who loves ducks. Lolol

Old 11-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #127
CindyCRNA
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Karen View Post
Hi Girls,

I tried the recipe listed below this weekend. I LOVE eggplant so this was a "must try" for me. It was very good and easy to make. I don't like hot sauce so I omitted it and threw in 3/4 cup chopped and sauted green peppers. I ate half of it on Friday and the other half warmed up nicely in the microwave today. Yummmmm, I'll definitely make this again. You low carbers might like it if you like eggplant.

1200 calories today and a weigh-in in the morning, we'll see!!!

Lori - I'm happy that you're giving fast5 another try. I'm still very inspired by it. I'm not snooping around the kitchen or pantry shelves anymore. When my window opens I am ready for food and I enjoy it. I don't do anything crazy like desserts, although I have had a couple cookies last week. But the difference is that I would have inhaled dozens of cookies last week had I not had the "closed window" policy in place. When my window closes I'm done for the day. My calories are definitely lower so hopefully in time my weight will come down.

Carolyn, your family plans sound lovely.

Blackened Eggplant Parmagiana (Lowcarb) Posted by TaDa on the Vegetarian Thread

12-16 oz eggplant (one nice sized eggplant)
1T olive oil
garlic salt
dried basil
A Cast Iron Frying Pan
.33 cup Tomato Puree (in can)
2 oz mozzarella
1T dry parmesan cheese
Frank's Hot Sauce

I ignore the old foodie way to prep eggplant. I never find it bitter AT ALL - so I dispense with the salt step.

What I do. Put 1T olive oil in cast iron frying pan. Slice up between 12 oz-16 oz of eggplant, then halve the slices into half-moons or quarters depending on how huge they are.

Throw them in the pan, stove on high. Sprinkle with garlic salt and dried basil. Let em cook a little bit, then flip over (do not worry about doing this evenly, getting the spices everywhere or anything like that. it does not make any difference in the end result, lol!). Now cover with a lid so they can steam while they cook.

Flip 'em over every time they smell like they are burning or whenever you remember (You are not frying them, but blackening them campfire-style roasty eggplant.). When they are soft - after a few minutes - turn them out onto a plate, throw on some pureed tomato, some grated parmesan cheese and some mozzarella (remember: you have already seasoned with the garlic salt and basil).

I then zap in the micro until the cheese melts (1min40secs in my micro). Liberally shake on the Frank's Hot Sauce (original) ... it is a very important ingredient giving both heat and a peppery flavor ..

And voila! Dinner! Now I eat a very big portion, so you may find you are just fine with 9-10 oz of the eggplant. I sometimes adjust the amount depending on how many carbs I did that day, and at one point was using even less tomato puree too for that reason.

The other day I was out of cheese and considered subbing in an ounce cream cheese and mixing it with the tomato puree .. I think that or ricotta would be nice too ...
I love eggplant! Will try this!

Lewis is growing like a weed and doing great! He has a vet visit tomorrow. He speeds around the house like a demon! Very friendly loves to lay in your lap once he wears down from playing. The living room is littered with toys. It looks like we have a toddler!

Weather here has been good but am envious of the snow some are getting. We haven't had a good snow in 3 years so maybe this will be the year!

My Avi is my horse Victor and me Heritage Park horse trials 5/16

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Hadel Briles
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:48 PM   #128
CarolynF

Yeah, for Baby Lewis. You forget how active kittens are. We are supposed to have a bad winter. Gary can use his snowblower.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:00 PM   #129
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Still Karen
Stats: 173 starting weight, now 168
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Feb 15, 2017
Carolyn...that little hat is adorable!!! Nice job.

Sandy...I'm encouraged that you didn't follow lowfat eating and still had fast5 success. I've decided to compromise and try eating fewer carbs and more meat. I just don't do well when I have to eat meat because I don't like it BUT.....today I made chicken salad (canned chicken, mayo, celery & green pepper) and determined to eat it today. I made it through my window, feel a little icky but if it helps to get the weight off I will endure. I was always the kid sitting at the table crying and asking my mom if I could skip eating the meat. At 59 I still felt that way today so following lowfat plans makes me feel a little green, but I did it and hopefully at next Monday's weigh-in I'll get my gold star.

32 degrees and raining all day here.....burrrrr!!
Still Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:29 PM   #130
CarolynF

Thanks, Karen. I saw your weather is iffy. My friend's dd lives up there.

The worst combination for weight gain for most people is fat plus bad carbs, depending on your metabolism. That is what did me in. I think we need at least 50 grams of protein to be healthy, but there are lots of ways to get that amount in.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:59 PM   #131
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

That hat is ADORABLE!!!! I think you could go into business making cute children's hats!!

Cindy, please hold off on the snow prayers until after Christmas!!!! Or at least have it be gone by the day after Christmas. We really want to head south on the 26th but can't go if the weather is bad b/c we're pulling a fifth wheel and they don't do so great on icy streets and highways.
Lewis sounds sooooo cute!!

Food can wait!
Old 11-22-2016, 07:15 PM   #132
CarolynF

Thanks, Sandy.

I agree on the snow when you are hauling an RV. Oh, my dr told me she and I should get the shingles shot. I told her about you and she said that if you ever get shingles again, it won't be in the same place. But praying for an end to shingles for you!!!

Old 11-22-2016, 07:28 PM   #133
CarolynF

Hormone experts... my estrogen was very low.. less than 12, when it should be around 80.
So, I'm taking more of my troche. Maybe that is weight/bladder problem. How are your levels?

Old 11-23-2016, 05:39 AM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning!

A good Fast 5 day here I come! I opened my window early yesterday, and closed it a bit late. No worries. This has to be a plan I can live with, not a strict plan that makes me miserable.

Interesting about the hormone levels. I have no idea about mine. I went thru early menopause(39), so I'm sure mine are a mess.

Early prep for turkey day will start today. Making fruit salad today and will bake a ham. Turkey and all the trimmings will happen tomorrow. Trying to keep a cool head and not get stressed out like I usually do. Yeah right!

Wishing you all a wonderful holiday!
Old 11-23-2016, 10:37 AM   #135
CarolynF

Lori, several years of us are on bioidenticals. It is a good thing to check out. You have to find a doctor who knows what to do look for!

Right now, we can't use any water in our town. We had a huge explosion in an Airosol plant upriver yesterday. The river is full of paint and chemicals. So, the town manager suggests that people leave the area for a Thanksgiving. Luckily, we are heading to Tulsa tomorrow and I got my veggies cleaned this am.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #136
CindyCRNA
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hormone experts... my estrogen was very low.. less than 12, when it should be around 80.
So, I'm taking more of my troche. Maybe that is weight/bladder problem. How are your levels?
Just looked at mine. My estradiol is 89.

Lori and Karen, when I did this, Oopsies were a great help. They are a bread substitute that have the right fat/protein/carb ratio for this diet. Check out the recipe forum also. Lots of great ideas no matter your plan.

We raked leaves and chopped down hostas today. Kinda our annual thing every thanksgiving week. I am making the turkey and dressing to take to DH's sisters house in Des Moines. She is vegetarian so I offered to bring the turkey as none of the rest of the family are. I could not be vegetarian.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:39 PM   #137
CarolynF

Have fun in Des Moines!! Love that place. We used to live in West Des Moines. Thanks for your input on the estrogen......

Old 11-23-2016, 05:38 PM   #138
deanslist
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deanslist
Stats: 5'3.5" 185/127.5/126-129
WOE: Atkins (previously) OMAD
Start Date: 1999 (Atkins) 2-1-2016 IF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Karen View Post
Good noon to you all,

Thank you for welcoming me so kindly. Cindy, I live about 20 minutes from your family in Zumbrota, right outside of Rochester. It's a small world.

And JM, may I call you that for short, your post was very inspiring to me. Thank you! I have lots of questions for you if you don't mind. You said our weight gain story is similar, and yes we are also the same age (give or take a few months) so when you said you started at 180 lbs, well that makes me feel right at home since my weigh-in's are only a few pounds lower than that. I am doing the Stillman diet but I don't do it well, mainly because I don't like meat and Stillman is nearly all meat, so you can see my struggle. I do Stillman because it takes away my desire for carbs and I lose a few pounds. What I don't like is the food and the way it makes me feel (low energy, crampy tummy) but I don't really know what else to do. When I eat carbs I don't lose. So I'm interested in knowing what your food day looks like on the keto plan? And have you lost weight, and how much, and how long did it take to lose it? I'd rather have a plan that included vegetables and some fruits but I just don't seem to drop the pounds.

Part of my problem also is that I have chronic back pain from an auto accident and can't do the physical exercise that I used to do to burn more calories. Honestly, that is how I kept my weight in check until I was 50 was 45 minutes of walking each day and other physical exercise. Now I am limited to occasional 10-15 minute walks and limited house work.....bummer....because I've always been active and am still active at heart. So I have to figure out how to get the weight off and be content with lower calories each day.

With Stillman I add a few low cal veggies to keep my bowels moving and keep my head clear. All that meat just slugs me up. So any menu suggestions on the Keto diet might be very helpful. What is a typical day's food list.

And Carolyn....no I don't butter the beans, ever. I like them plain out of the can (home canned, I'm a gardener) and the three bean salad has olive oil in it.

And Cindy.....congratulations! It looks like you are at goal and doing well.

So tell me how your successes and losses are and how you got there. And thanks again for welcoming me.
Hi Still Karen! Just wanted to say hi to a fellow Minnesotan.. I will be driving right by you tomorrow when I go down to Rochester for Thanksgiving. I am about 70 miles north of Roch in Lakeville.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:24 AM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

A quick Hello before I head to the kitchen and things start flying! I'll be twirling in about an hour. I'm always exhausted by the end of Thanksgiving day.

My dinner is at 1 today, so it works out perfectly with my window. A lot of the time, I end up having a piece of pie in the evening, but not today as my window will be closed!

I hope everyone has a great day today.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:23 AM   #140
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

My estradiol is 96.4.

The first time I had shingles it was a very mild case on my back. The last time I also had them on my back but they went clear around my side to my sternum. So spine to sternum. I wonder why your Dr thinks I won't have them in the same place again, IF I get them again. My Dr said he doesn't think I'll get them again, but if I do they should be mild again. He considers this last case I had mild; I beg to differ with him!! But I do know a lot of people have them a whole lot worse than I did. But I sure don't want to experience that ever again!

Happy Thanksgiving. I'm very thankful for you all!!

Food can wait!
Old 11-24-2016, 08:25 PM   #141
CindyCRNA
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Have fun in Des Moines!! Love that place. We used to live in West Des Moines. Thanks for your input on the estrogen......
Dh's sister lives by Gray Lake.

Dinner was perfect. My first time cooking a turkey in an electric roaster. I did have to brown it in the oven but it turned out great. We hauled it in the pan to Des Moines. Hope everyone's day turned out well!

Old 11-24-2016, 09:14 PM   #142
DebbyL
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-25-2016, 04:20 AM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning!

Well, the big day is over! Thank goodness! Now we move on to Christmas and all that $$$. We have 4 Grandsons aged 8-13. Yikes! I'm relying on our daughter to provide me a list, as I have no idea what to get these boys. 2 of them need new bikes, so I know that will be happening. Our son's 12 year old is big into hunting and wants archery equipment, so that is up to my husband. I know nothing about that stuff.

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. So much work for one meal and a couple hours. Oh well......it's what we do.

Today I'll be keeping strictly to my eating window and just puttering around the house. I have laundry to do and I want to pack my bags for 5 days at my sister's. I'm heading there early tomorrow morning. Looking forward to it. We always have a good time together, whether we're doing anything specific or just hanging out at home. She is 18 years older than I am, but can run circles around me! I hope to be like her when I'm 74.

Have a great day.......and God bless you if you're out shopping! Yikes!
Old 11-25-2016, 12:10 PM   #144
CarolynF

Back from Tulsa!! Had a great time. Sarah's family was very kind and her mom is an amazing cook.

My doc said one woman got them in her thigh area. not good at all..she said men usually get them on their heads and faces. I'm not sure why she said you won't get them in the same area. MILD CASE? Well, we all know peeps who landed in the hospital with them

We now have water and can drink it. Our pressure didn't go down because peeps stopped using it. But in Coffeyville, they have to boil their water because their pressure went down. Bad Coffeyville.

Cindy, my minlaw always cooked her turkey in a roaster, but didn't brown it in the oven. It needed browning. We know where Gray's Lake is. Personal: how much of your troche do you take?

Hugs to everyone.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #145
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
Wish I could help on the estradiol. My cream only has 15 estradiol in it, taken twice/day.

We went to OKC to see Bowe's mother yesterday, and a college friend of mine and her family who were in from Seattle. Great day.

Back to very fast-5ing today! LOL

I have really worried about your water, Carolyn. Glad you can drink it now!

The Instant Pots (the one I wanted) are down to $69 on the big A today. My mother is getting it for me for Christmas, after I tell her that's what I want.
She'll be the happy recipient of some yummy meals, I'm sure.

We're having a brunch tomorrow morning with Lisa's family, then a 90th birthday party for another friend's father. I've known that guy since I was in 5th grade!
Busy seasons!

Oh Carolyn I forgot to say how much I love love love that duck hat!! So cute!
Old 11-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #146
CarolynF

Gosh, Sandy, I need to gear my estradiol up.

The family loved the duck hat. It was a bit big for him, but he was cute in it.

Judy, you will love your Instant Pot!

Seeing Scarlet tomorrow. Her dad was laid off at Cobalt (make boats). He is looking for work. Mom only babysits. Hopefully he can draw unemployment.

Last edited by CarolynF; 11-25-2016 at 02:33 PM..
Old 11-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #147
CindyCRNA
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Back from Tulsa!! Had a great time. Sarah's family was very kind and her mom is an amazing cook.

My doc said one woman got them in her thigh area. not good at all..she said men usually get them on their heads and faces. I'm not sure why she said you won't get them in the same area. MILD CASE? Well, we all know peeps who landed in the hospital with them

We now have water and can drink it. Our pressure didn't go down because peeps stopped using it. But in Coffeyville, they have to boil their water because their pressure went down. Bad Coffeyville.

Cindy, my minlaw always cooked her turkey in a roaster, but didn't brown it in the oven. It needed browning. We know where Gray's Lake is. Personal: how much of your troche do you take?

Hugs to everyone.
My script is 2mg estradiaol, 3mg testosterone, 10mg DHEA and I take 1/4 of a troche so .5/1.33/2.5. I take progesterone at night separately.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:22 PM   #148
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

My scrip is estradiol 2 mg also. I take 1/2 a troche twice a day. Mine also has 50 mg progesterone, 2 mg testosterone and 25 mg DHEA.

Sounds like everybody had a nice holiday. Now on to the next one!!

Food can wait!
Old 11-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #149
CarolynF

Hi everyone..

Dh is 70 today..I bought him a card and a box of SF chocolates (Walgreens had a 2 for one sale..the other box is for Christmas..We will go to Vintage Steak House for dinner.

Did some Cyber shopping..I love it when my kids put their wish list on Amazon..But, always
even out the amounts...

I downloaded Carolyn's Christmas Cookie book..Need to get started on some cookies to freeze. Sandy, do you still have your cooking day with the girls????

Catch you later..

Old 11-28-2016, 12:29 PM   #150
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

Well you all will get a laugh out of this. You know how I weigh every day right. Well I put it into an excel sheet and it figures my weekly averages as I go along. Well I actually lost weight this week!!! Wait for it......1.36 ounces!!!! OUNCES!! But hey it's a loss and it was Thanksgiving week so I'll take it!

I haven't been notified of the cooking day yet for this year but I'm sure we'll have it. It's TRADITION!! (channeling Fiddler, lol)

I might be a little slap happy. I went Christmas shopping today. But it really wasn't too bad and I think I'm almost done, so that feels good.

Food can wait!