Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-01-2016, 07:28 AM   #1
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/165/155
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
It's NOVEMBER!!! Keto chat continues here!

Comments, news, suggestions, and anything else around keto?

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2016, 09:08 PM   #2
QWERTY
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: QWERTY
Stats: 197/179/130 (5'4")
WOE: ketogenic/intermittent fasting
Start Date: January 16, 2003 AND Sept. 1 2016
I LOVE this intermittent fasting. If I would've known about this 10 years ago, I MIGHT not have gained back some weight. I've lost 25 pounds over the past two months. I did a five day fast last week and I had so much energy. WOW! I felt good! I have hope for the future again.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:26 PM   #3
Dihawk
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dihawk
Stats: 182/154/145
WOE: Atkins 72/Lchf
Start Date: Jan.2013
Boy I hope I can get back on plan! I was doing great, then went off. I feel fat, lazy, and stomach aches. When will I learn? Tomorrow 's a new day. I'm so proud of you women who have mastered the ketogenic way of eating.
Dihawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:03 AM   #4
clackley
Chatty Cathy

You can do it!

For me, I had to be fat, tired and depressed enough that I just couldn't do that anymore. I never want to go back so I come here every day and continue to learn.

You can do it!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
We are butter together!
Old 11-07-2016, 07:39 AM   #5
QWERTY
Junior LCF Member

DiHawk, I wish I could say I had it "mastered" but this is forever so only time will tell! I come here to read others journeys to know that I'm not alone! I get encouragement and that helps me carry on! Hang in there!
Old 11-09-2016, 07:10 PM   #6
brettski99
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: brettski99
Hi, new to the forum. Been following the diet doctor 2 week challenge and on day 3, been feeling ok. Have macros set at
Fat 70% 148g
Protein 25% 119g
Carb 5% 24g

Are these accurate as I have entered into a couple different calculators and get different numbers. I work out with weights 3 or 4 times a week for an hour. No real cardio.. can someone verify the macros I have are accurate, just used a ketone strip tonight and shows I am in the low range. I have eaten 3 meals a day each day. Any info, or support would be appreciated.

Weight 252
Waist 37
Age 40
brettski99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #7
Dihawk
Senior LCF Member

owerty and clackley thanks for your all your support. Back on plan 2 days. Feeling a little better today. Staying busy helps too.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:17 PM   #8
Cruisediva
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cruisediva
Stats: 5' 2" 234/225/120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Re-start 11/6/16
Quote:
Originally Posted by QWERTY View Post
I LOVE this intermittent fasting. If I would've known about this 10 years ago, I MIGHT not have gained back some weight. I've lost 25 pounds over the past two months. I did a five day fast last week and I had so much energy. WOW! I felt good! I have hope for the future again.
Qwerty, how are you approaching IF? I've tried a couple of 24 hour fast this week (eating breakfast then fasting to the following breakfast). The first went really well, the second, I had a brutal headache by 7:00PM that I then woke up with. I was also kinda shaky feeling in the morning. It took me well into the next morning to shake the headache. I'd love to know how someone else is managing it successfully along with LCHF.
Cruisediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:27 PM   #9
Peace
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Peace
Hi everyone
How do you feel about lean protein for short term weight loss and then transition to high fat with keto.

I just cant seem to lose with high fat right now? I dont understand... I am working out, drinking water, sleeping.

I am still doing zero carb, that is for sure. If anyone has insight, that would be good.
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:45 AM   #10
Cruisediva
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cruisediva
Stats: 5' 2" 234/225/120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Re-start 11/6/16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Hi everyone
How do you feel about lean protein for short term weight loss and then transition to high fat with keto.

I just cant seem to lose with high fat right now? I dont understand... I am working out, drinking water, sleeping.

I am still doing zero carb, that is for sure. If anyone has insight, that would be good.
Lean protein isn't in line, generally, with LCHF, unless you are cooking it in a lot of fat, which defeats the purpose I would think, of lean protein. Have you explored the role protein quantity might be playing in your inability to lose? For me, I have to be very careful with my protein level or it stalls me out (that darn excess protein converting to glucose issue). Just something to consider.
Cruisediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:09 AM   #11
clackley
Chatty Cathy

If a person is very lean themselves, or at an ideal weight, all the LC/HF will not produce weight loss. And as stated above, lean protein is not conducive to LC/HF as too much protein will convert to glucose. Not only is this counter to ketosis, it is also hard on the body. Read Dr. Ron Rosedale's take on appropriate amounts of protein.

We are butter together!
Old 11-15-2016, 07:50 AM   #12
Peace
Major LCF Poster!

Cruise Ty! I definitely will begin to reduce protein.

It will happen
Old 11-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #13
Peace
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
If a person is very lean themselves, or at an ideal weight, all the LC/HF will not produce weight loss. And as stated above, lean protein is not conducive to LC/HF as too much protein will convert to glucose. Not only is this counter to ketosis, it is also hard on the body. Read Dr. Ron Rosedale's take on appropriate amounts of protein.
Thanks. I have read it. Makes perfect sense but I also know that I am heavier than before and I could for sure lose ten lbs and still be healthy and lean.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #14
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Have you gained 10 lbs. since you last reported your weght of about 112lbs.? If so, I would suspect that your zero carb woe includes too much protein. Just an observation. Clearly you know best what your situation is.

We are butter together!
Old 11-17-2016, 09:04 PM   #15
QWERTY
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettski99 View Post
Hi, new to the forum. Been following the diet doctor 2 week challenge and on day 3, been feeling ok. Have macros set at
Fat 70% 148g
Protein 25% 119g
Carb 5% 24g

Are these accurate as I have entered into a couple different calculators and get different numbers. I work out with weights 3 or 4 times a week for an hour. No real cardio.. can someone verify the macros I have are accurate, just used a ketone strip tonight and shows I am in the low range. I have eaten 3 meals a day each day. Any info, or support would be appreciated.

Weight 252
Waist 37
Age 40
Sorry I have been out of town. I just wanted to say that I don't really track my percentage of fat/protein/carb. I only make sure I eat fat and keep FULL carb count to <20-25 grams/day
Old 11-17-2016, 09:10 PM   #16
QWERTY
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisediva View Post
Qwerty, how are you approaching IF? I've tried a couple of 24 hour fast this week (eating breakfast then fasting to the following breakfast). The first went really well, the second, I had a brutal headache by 7:00PM that I then woke up with. I was also kinda shaky feeling in the morning. It took me well into the next morning to shake the headache. I'd love to know how someone else is managing it successfully along with LCHF.
Sorry I'm just now seeing this! I started with just skipping breakfast for awhile. Then I finally made a 48 hour fast. I routinely skip breakfast now. I did finally succeed at a 5 day fast but it seems I had to work myself up to it. My suppers are early, and usually very light. When I first started, I went through headaches, dizziness, light-headed and leg cramps. I had to lower my blood pressure medicine. I had to drink more water and drink more homemade broth. It took a couple of weeks but now I have no trouble and feel great.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:13 PM   #17
QWERTY
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Hi everyone

I agree with Cruisediva...You are probably eating too much protein. Low carb high fat means medium protein. I eat protein, but not a lot at any one time. Since I eat more fat (usually avocado or lots of olive oil on salad, etc...) I'm not as hungry for protein.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #18
QWERTY
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dihawk View Post
owerty and clackley thanks for your all your support. Back on plan 2 days. Feeling a little better today. Staying busy helps too.
How are you doing on plan? Hope it's going well for you!
Old 11-17-2016, 09:32 PM   #19
QWERTY
Junior LCF Member

I haven't been on here for several days as I've been busy and traveled from Kansas to Georgia (to see my grandson) and back. During that time, I lost another 4 pounds! I have found that while traveling, a delicious variety of pork rinds is readily available at my daughter's town! Mmmm... We also went to a farmer's market and I bought freshly picked pecans. Mmmm... I did some of the cooking there so I could eat and show them how easy it can be to leave out bad carbs!

I know some of that weight was coming off before we left. I use the breath ketone things and they were registering a very dark purple for a few days. (by the way, the urine strips measured ZERO and blood ketones measured 2.5-3.6 during that time.) When the scales don't move, just be patient. I also measure and know that I'm losing before the scales show it! I am already back down to a weight I haven't seen in probably 7 years. I've been as high as 220 just a couple of months before I found dietdoctor.com. Intermittent fasting has me more and more excited and something as easy as skipping breakfast is so easy. I'm a little ticked that "nutritionists" have always said it was the most important meal. They are wrong!

Let's all keep at it! I am focused and making my plan of action for Thanksgiving. I have two of those to attend and will probably have to make mashed potatoes, and/or rolls, and/or caramel pecan rolls. I'm ready and focused to NOT eat them!
Old 11-18-2016, 07:11 AM   #20
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Way to go Qwerty! Travelling seems to be a big challenge for many people! How about finding ways to make those recipes low carb. I don't know about the rolls but mashed cauli is usually well received.

In any event, I am sure you will do just fine!

We are butter together!
Old 11-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #21
QWERTY
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Way to go Qwerty! Travelling seems to be a big challenge for many people! How about finding ways to make those recipes low carb. I don't know about the rolls but mashed cauli is usually well received.

In any event, I am sure you will do just fine!
I love cauliflower all sorts of ways, but I haven't been able to get dear hubby to like them at all. Basically, I'll make regular stuff for extended family, but I'll for sure have mashed cauli for me! I may do my chocolate mousse for me and the family that's sugar free. That way I have a dessert! Or I may splurge and have a diet pepsi! I basically am giving up fake sugars, too so that will be a treat! I'm going to the grocery store today and hope to make up some stuff early and get it in the freezer so I'll be ready!

I hate the way I feel when I eat carbs, too. I'm keeping that in my mind when the temptation hits. Also, I am not diabetic, but I was sure heading that way and I don't want to ever get there. This sight helps me know I'm not alone! My husband's family are THOSE people that eat everything and barely weigh over 100pounds. I think that is what gets me depressed sometimes. But, I get over my pity party and realize that I can feel good and look good, too.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #22
Peace
Major LCF Poster!

Hi everyone

Thanks for your thoughts and insight. Yes, I do think I am eating too much protein. However, everytime I try to cut back, I dont seem to get it right. I am going to have to figure something out because dairy does not work and vegetables make me bloated and miserable.

Yes, my weight has gone up but I am determined to lose it so i actually dont want to focus on the number.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:05 PM   #23
Dihawk
Senior LCF Member

Qwerty, I'm doing a lot better, I need to get carbs lower, ketones higher. Down 3lbs. Blood sugar down 82 and blood ketones up to 1.40.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:14 AM   #24
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Dihawk, depending on when you are testing your blood ketones, I would think that 1.4 is pretty good. Apparently ketones will be in the .5 to 2.0 range if you have been doing keto for a good length of time. I heard about 1 year. The reasoning is that your body becomes very efficient at using ketones and making them. After this period, it seems that getting higher ketones is only done through fasting and maybe not even then.

We are butter together!
Old 11-25-2016, 07:55 PM   #25
Jackie123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 244-again 😖
WOE: Atkins 72 induction eventually, zero carb for now
Start Date: September 2012/11-20-16 restart
Hi all-I've recently discovered that my body loves zero carb. I love it a little bit less than my body. But it isn't as daunting as it once was. A couple of things I'm having trouble with:variety, and ease of cooking. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I just immediately felt so much better after starting this that I want to see if I can make it viable long term.
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #26
Dihawk
Senior LCF Member

Clackley we need you to start December keto chat, please! I have been on a long eating binge and ready to start new (again). Put back on half my weight that I lost. My cloths are getting to tight. Family wedding in May and would like to get out of the cold for a couple of weeks this winter. I have been trying to remember my feelings when I was in control of my eating and weight.