Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-03-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
Erika1962
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erika1962
Stats: Start 2011 @ 265 lbs ~Restart 1/1/17**220 lbs
WOE: WFPB
~~Mostly Veggies~~

Anna, I used your "WOE" for the thread name, how about that for creativity

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #2
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Hi there and welcome,
Are you wanting veggie recipes?
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #3
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
WOE: mostly veggies
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Hi Erica

Thanks for getting us started.

Hi Nigel, we have been a part of a thread in Other Plans. And we got to talking about being vegetarian/vegan. We wanted to talk about it, help each other, and anyone else interested. So we hope you don't mind that we landed here. I have been here before looking for support.... I always get it. BUT I keep falling off the veggie train.

So here we are to encourage each other. Share tips and hoping all the veggie folks here will chime in. I'm totally open to any suggestions anyone has for helping stay the course.

Ok, I just cooked turkey burgers for my kids. They did not smell so good, but I just wanted to eat one with them. I did not. Had a tofu pup instead..... I think I wanted the bun and mustard more than the burger??? Who knows. Was hard but I did it.

Will check in later.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #4
Erika1962
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Nigel and thank you Just a couple of veggie lovers looking for a home!
Old 11-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #5
Erika1962
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Anna, you found the thread Turkey is one of the very few meats that I actually did like. I used to make turkey meatballs or turkey burgers for me, while hubs ate regular ground beef. Now I can't even stand the smell anymore.

Do you eat tofu? I been wanting to try, but really don't know what to do with it.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #6
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hiya gals and welcome,

I'm always glad to see more people here.

For the burger, I have a little suggestion:

Make or buy a veggie burger, order smart buns from netrition and have that burger with the mustard and whatever fixin's you like.

Ouizoid recently suggested the smart buns and I ordered some and they are great. Soft, like a real bun and no weird taste either and they aren't super dense like other lc buns are.

I use boca burgers but I docter them up a lot. I put cilantro, jalepeno, butter on them...I make this mix ahead of time and keep it in the freezer.
I also cook them on the grill or fry them in a skillet.

I don't know if either of you use faux meats, so if you don't, then just ignore me, but I don't think I could get by without them.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
Erika1962
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you for the suggestion Nigel! I'm still a newbie in the veggie world and haven't experimented with faux meats at all. I did have some Boca burgers on occasion, when I didn't feel like having the meat kind, and they actually taste pretty good. I would really like to find a good recipe though, because one of the reasons that I am leaning more towards the veggie world is that I am trying to avoid processed foods as much as possible. I see lots of cooking and prepping in my future
Old 11-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #8
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Check out No Meat Athlete and search for the world's most versatile vegie burger. It is a formula. I find that it always helps to read the comments....

There's also an SDA page that has a formula. I'll try to find it.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:40 AM   #9
Erika1962
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Jem! I will have to do a lot of research. Trying to find a few good staples, like the burgers, lentil loaf is another one I am interested in. Something I can prepare ahead of time and freeze!
Old 11-10-2016, 01:15 PM   #10
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Hey Erica I didn't forget you. Computer problems. Will be back as soon as I can. I'm on my phone and I don't like it!

How are you doing? I'm taking it one day at a time. Ate some turkey pepperoni one day.😪
Old 11-10-2016, 03:15 PM   #11
Erika1962
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Anna! Computer problems suck. I understand you not wanting to the net thing from your phone. I use my tablet sometimes and the auto correct thingy drives me nuts! I have to be so careful sending something because the words are so chopped up that no one can understand what the heck I'm talking about, very embarrassing at times.

Same thing here with the eating, taking it day by day, meal by meal. I have not had any meat, zero desire, but I do miss cheese and yogurt!
Old 11-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #12
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
For me it was a process and I consumed dairy and occasional bacon. Then bacon was giving heartburn type symptoms so no more.
I make bacon flavored stuff, though.

I ate cheese as a snack but one night I couldn't sleep because I was hungry, went and cut a chunk and it was so salty and heavy I couldn't take more than a bite. That was it except for some that I might consume when eating out.

I completely quit dairy and cut out oil but after a bit my stomach was bothering me more so I eat yogurt a couple times weekly.

I am okay right now but I lean heavily toward vegan and that's how I cook, however, this did not happen overnight.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:48 AM   #13
Erika1962
Major LCF Poster!

Jem, I used to be a cheese addict, and trying my luck at low carb eating, I always made an excuse to eat it, since it was the only thing I really liked. I would eat a block of cheddar in one sitting! Bacon I was never fond of, so I don't miss that at all. Yes, I know I'm weird I still have some greek yogurt in the fridge, but have not touched any in a few weeks now. After reading countless articles about vegan diets I am really leaning more and more towards this way of eating.

Last edited by Erika1962; 11-11-2016 at 02:50 AM..
Erika1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #14
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Hi Erika, how are you doing? I've been really hungry all day. I have eaten to much junk food today.

I am cooking a turkey for the family for Thanksgiving. I will have a very small serving. So I need to get over the holidays before I say to much.

I do feel like I'm headed in the right direction. kwim......
Old 11-14-2016, 07:15 PM   #15
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
jem51 For me it was a process and I consumed dairy and occasional bacon. Then bacon was giving heartburn type symptoms so no more.
I make bacon flavored stuff, though.

I ate cheese as a snack but one night I couldn't sleep because I was hungry, went and cut a chunk and it was so salty and heavy I couldn't take more than a bite. That was it except for some that I might consume when eating out.

I completely quit dairy and cut out oil but after a bit my stomach was bothering me more so I eat yogurt a couple times weekly.

I am okay right now but I lean heavily toward vegan and that's how I cook, however, this did not happen overnight.
11-10-2016 04:15 PM
Good points. This will not happen overnight for me either.

I have come a long way tho.....
Old 11-15-2016, 03:18 AM   #16
Erika1962
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Anna! Not doing too bad over here, although I did have a meal off plan. We had company over the weekend and they decided we all go out to chinese buffet for dinner. At first I didn't know what to eat at all, because EVERYTHING there is heavy on oil, even the rice and noodles. Decided on the lesser of the two evils and ate low carb, just veggies, fish, and a bit of chicken. Two days later I still have a belly ache, and retain about 100 gallons of water I went right back on plan yesterday, oatmeal and a bit of fruit to soothe my stomach, and give it a nice clean.

Thanksgiving my daughter will make a turkey as every year. I plan on making a lot of veggie side dishes, and my famous stuffing. That one I am not sure how I will pull it off. The famous stuffing contains lots of ground beef and organ meats...May be I will make just enough for my daughter, no one else eats it but her and me.

Anna, I think of myself as a flexitarian, I strive for animal product free days, and the more I can have without having to be "flexible" the happier I am. Google it, it is actually a plan!!
Old 11-18-2016, 12:10 PM   #17
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone. How are you doing Erica? So far pretty good here. A few bites off plan, but I'm ok. Still better than I was.

I'm sorry I didn't answer you earlier Nigel about meat substitutes. I use them some, but soy doesn't seem to agree with me these days.... So I'm interested, and looking. I like the option of having something in the freezer I can put on a bun.

I tried jerk fruit not long ago. It was ok. But I don't think I'll buy it again.

StephanieK if your reading join us. Would like to know how your doing.

I want to add, even if I watch my calories, I still have a muffin top. I have lost weight everywhere but the tummy.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:06 PM   #18
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi saltnpepper,

I understand about the soy.

I was thinking maybe you could make some bean burgers or some type of vegetable burgers up ahead of time for the freezer.

I don't know what I did with the recipe, but I made a sunflower seed burger once and it still needed something, but I forgot about it and never got around to trying it again. I was trying to replicate the sunburgers that they sell at whole foods.

The sunburgers are good, but they all seem to have garlic in them and garlic doesn't agree with me at all.

I tried Dr. Preagor's veggie burgers too and they were tasty, but always fell apart when I cooked them. I don't know if they are still like that or not since I didn't buy them again.

For me, it takes a lot of experimenting to get something "right" cuz I don't want mediocre, I want it to be cravable and very tasty. I have eaten a lot of "cardboard" type burgers and faux meats in the past so these days I mostly eat boca burgers and quorn products. Now quorn products are becoming scarce. I used to get Yves faux sausage patties and I doctored them up and they were pretty good, but now they don't seem to carry them either.

And there is also quinoa, which some people make burgers out of. I don't know if you eat that, but to me, the quinoa itself is basically tasteless but you could perk it up with some veggies and spices.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #19
Erika1962
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Anna! Doing pretty good here, a little bloated from all the roughage LOL. Still trying to make most of my food plant based, so plenty of fresh veggies and fruit every day.

I have joined several of the FB groups for whole food eating, hoping to learn from their experiences with this way of eating.

What is jerk fruit? I don't think I ever heard about that.

StephanieK, I too would love for you to join us!!
Old 11-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #20
Erika1962
Major LCF Poster!

Nigel, I have yet to try out quinoa. As many times as I have picked up a package in the store, I have not bought one yet, probably because I don't know what to do with it.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #21
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Hi Erica how are you doing? How was your Thanksgiving?

I'm so so. I did eat turkey as I said I would. I really have to much going on right now so I will probably stay lower fat and transition to no meat the first of the year. I'm also not doing so well with so many carbs, so need to readjust my diet.

I'm still in your corner and still one of your many cheerleaders!!

Anna

Last edited by saltnpepper; 11-30-2016 at 02:36 PM..
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #22
Erika1962
Major LCF Poster!

Good Anna and you?? I also had some turkey, not much, only a few ounces, and a tiny bit of pork shoulder my SIL made. I pretty much filled up on stuffing, rice, and veggies, but nothing was really off limits.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #23
sarahatl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Hi All! So happy to see this thread!I love the low carb concept because I am a prediabetic and am trying not be be a full blown one. So far with diet and exercise I am doing OK. The thing with the low carb is all meat every one eats. I am just not a big meat eater...I just don't like it and never did but was eating a lot of it just for protein and the no carbs. I am really trying to eat whole foods - not so many processed foods...salads, veggies- some tofu. I worry about not having enough protein in my diet. How are you all doing the low carb without eating all the meat everyone eats? What do you eat for breakfast?
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #24
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is what I do. I make a zero carb smoothie with Isopure Whey protein powder, almond milk, strawberries (or any berries) and some stevia.

It has 25 grams of protein per scoop of protein powder.

There are recipes to make cookies and other things out of protein powder but I have never made any, so that is a thought. Maybe a type of breakfast cookie with protein powder.

Ok, that's just my .02 cents worth. I hope it helps somehow.

For breakfast, I eat egg beaters.

You could make vegetarian sausage or similar things for breakfast. I know there are recipes around that use tofu.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #25
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Hi Erica, and everyone......

I was about to give up. Again. But I really have done pretty good. I ate the turkey, but I said I would. So still trying to do this.

It has been hard.

Welcome sarahatl, please join in. I went hard core vegan for awhile. But for me it's to hard right now. So I added back in eggs..... and I ate a little yogurt until I can figure out how to eat the carbs and not gain the weight back.

sarahatl I don't care much for meat, neither does Erica so your in good company. Nobody does here. LOL Sorry you all. There is a lot of good information here. And there is ECO Atkins.

Please share your journey maybe I'll learn something.

Anna
Old 12-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #26
sarahatl
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the welcome! My problem like I said is eating enough protein. I really try to eat healthy but it so hard. I do really well during the week but weekends are so hard! I am not that crazy about eggs but do eat them because I feel for the calorie count they are so healthy. One thing I have for breakfast every morning that does not spike my BS is Ezekial bread with almond butter (just ground almonds only ingredient). I just can't do eggs too much for breakfast. I also will use a smoothie for a meal. I use isolate pea protein (no carbs and about 24 g of protein). I put about 2 cups of spinach, pea protein, almond butter, and about 1 cup of berries with almond milk and stevia. Really good and I feel I get my protein, veggies and fat. The only thing I don't like about the protein power it is so processed and I really try to eat whole foods nothing processed but its hard.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:15 AM   #27
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
you can use regular edamame in a smoothie--or other beans--I've done it many a time--if you don't like the idea of protein powder.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #28
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Maybe add some hemp seeds to your smoothie? For an ounce it's only 1 carb and 10 grams of protein.

I add them and can't tell they are in there.

Chia seeds are good too but only about half the protein of hemp.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #29
sarahatl
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Maybe add some hemp seeds to your smoothie? For an ounce it's only 1 carb and 10 grams of protein.

I add them and can't tell they are in there.

Chia seeds are good too but only about half the protein of hemp.
Yes I will do that. Have some in cupboard!
Old 12-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #30
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

How's everyone doing? I'm about the same. My problem is trying NOT to gain weight..... I get to carb heavy if I'm not very careful.

I've never used chia seeds. But I have some in the frig.

Have a great week-end everyone.