Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #1
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
SANTA BABY CHALLENGE FOR DECEMBER

Hi Ladies....

CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2016, 04:51 PM   #2
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/143.8/140-145 5'6"
WOE: Fast-5 intermittent fasting
Start Date: January 2003
Karen, so nice to see you here again. I was worried you'd gotten lost. And yes, I wish Lori would check in too!

And hey, where's Buffy!!???? I see her still posting on FB but I sure miss her here on our little home thread. I've been kind of staying off FB lately. It just sucks up SO much time!!!

Well we have to finalize our finishes and upgrades next Thursday. Then I'm going to put it out of my mind, enjoy our winter trip and look forward to just move in and enjoy what I chose next fall! I promise I'm not going to change my mind once I place the order. I know somebody who moved into the other location in town who changed her mind 4 times!!! I'd be NUTS!!!

Grapefruit sounds yummy!! I hope they have some nice ripe ones in Texas. 26 days to go!!

Food can wait!
There. Will. Always. Be. Food.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:50 PM   #3
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
Sandy, thanks for the link.
You'd think I'd never done this before.

I'm glad you'll be home for Christmas, Sandy. And with your great Texas trip ahead of you, lots to look forward to.

If I changed my mind 4 times, I'd never be sure of my choice.
Ever.
I'm kind of a hip-shoot kind of decision-maker. Not always perfect, but I can live with it.

I think Monday sounds like a good day for the merc, Carolyn.
But I have little faith that it will be before Christmas. I bet they have lots of cute things I'd like to buy as gifts. Maybe I'll see if they are marked down afterward.

I miss Buffy here, too. I prefer being able to really "talk" over FB. I'm not a huge fan of FB and have spent a lot less time on it, too. It is a huge time waster for me.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:47 AM   #4
Lori_:)
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 223/174/160(?)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 1/1/13
Good morning!

I'm still around! I've been visiting my sister since last Saturday and will head home today. Eating has been ok, but haven't been sticking strictly to my window. Time to change that.

I've been trying to keep up with the forum, but posting is tedious on my phone. I'll do better starting tomorrow.

No cookie baking here. Have never gotten into that. The husband eats cookies every day, so nothing special. I'm starting to panic about gifts for the grandsons. Our daughter is late getting the list to me. I'll have to start bugging her. ACK!! It's December 1st!

Time for more coffee and then a 2.5 hour drive home. Talk to you later!
Old 12-01-2016, 05:36 AM   #5
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Safe travels, Lori.
I hate posting from my phone, too.
It's probably the only thing that keeps you all from reading a novel every time I post!
Old 12-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #6
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Still Karen
Stats: 173 starting weight, now 168
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Feb 15, 2017
It is the weirdest December 1st in Minnesota. Usually we have about a foot of snow on the ground by now but uh-uh, not this year.

Glad you are back Lori & I'm glad you were able to get away and be with family. Lucky me (I guess), we don't buy gifts for our grandchildren (3 boys ages 10, 8, & 4) we just send them money and they buy what they want then show us what they purchased over Skype. It is sort of bitter-sweet for me because it makes things easy but I wish we were closer (600 miles away) and could really do it right. My daughter is sort of a "pill" and doesn't want us sending presents, not even for their birthdays so we just do the money in a card thing. The grown-ups don't do any gift giving except we do a nice box of misc. treats for my husband's mother (84) so that is my only Christmas shopping these days. It's just really different when you live far away from family. We've been away for so long that over time people just sort of forget that we are part of their clan. Oh well, at least we do not have any holiday debt.

Running errands today...
Still Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:15 AM   #7
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Karen

Thanks for making me grateful for living near our family.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #8
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Judy, you are welcome. It is certainly a different experience living away from family for decades. It doesn't help that I have this chronic back pain situation that prevents me from traveling that far. The last time I was home was 5 years ago and I doubt I'll ever be able to go back there again. Fortunately our daughter brings our grandchildren to us every summer for a week. We sure have a hooten & hollering week with those little boys then we wave goodbye and everyone say's "see ya next summer". So I always have that to look forward to. So yes, if you have family to gather with be thankful because it is not everyone's experience. But, we've adapted and really do enjoy the season.

I had such a fun dip into Bath & Body Works today. It's all decked out for Christmas and smells so festive. ummmmmmmmmmm, bought creamy luxe hand soaps - - Frosted Cranberry, Snow Kissed Citrus, and Gingerbread Latte. Two are gifts to my mother-in-law and two are for our bathroom sinks.

Also picked up another jar of Ziegelmeier's Crunchy Toasted Pecan Butter to spread on my Sprouted Grain Bread. I'm so happy now that I've allowed myself to have more carbs.

I've decided to not weigh until January, to just let December be the holidays and be comfortable with Fast5. I still find myself counting calories at the end of the day and I seem to rest between 1300 - 1500 cals on average. That is a solid 500-700 calories from what I used to eat with all those cookie and cracker snacks so in time the weight will have to yield.

Tonight our local weather guy reported that Minnesota had it's second warmest fall on record. We averaged 57 degrees which is steaming hot for Minnesota. Come on snow....our shovels and snowblowers are ready in the garage, salt is in the buckets, and gloves & scarves are lonely in the closet. It's nearly Christmas for Pete's sake. My 4 foot snowman yard ornament looks a little stupid sitting on green grass
Old 12-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #9
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Ok..you girls will never guess what I am doing???? I'm reading your old posts to get to know you better and to follow the food/recipe ideas. You gals are a hoot!!!! So, I ran across this Chocolate Sauce recipe and wondered if you tried it and if you liked it. Carolyn posted it for Judy. Since it is the holidays and chocolate is on everyone's menu I thought I'd bump it up here and get a review of it. It sounds like it might be delicious. sometimes I just want a taste of chocolate and if it is really good I could have this made up, stored in the fridge, and have a spoonful during those chocolate attack moments. Ok....back to reading more.

Carolyn Ketchum's recipe for the Best Hot Fudge Sauce..

Yield: 1 cup

Serving Size: 2 tablespoons

This low carb sugar-free hot fudge sauce is so good, you will want to eat it with a spoon. Enough said.

Ingredients

1 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup powdered Swerve Sweetener
2 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Instructions

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together whipping cream and sweetener until combined. Bring to a simmer and remove from heat.
Add chopped chocolate and let sit 5 minutes, until chocolate is completely melted. Add vanilla extract and whisk until smooth.
Drizzle over your favorite low carb ice cream or use as chocolate fondue.
Notes

Serves 8 (2 tbsp per serving). Each serving has 3.7 g of carbs and 1.47 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 1.23 g.

Food energy: 154kcal Saturated fatty acids: 9.72g Total fat: 14.87g Calories from fat: 133 Cholesterol: 40mg Carbohydrate: 3.70g Total dietary fiber: 1.47g Protein: 1.75g Sodium: 13mg
Old 12-01-2016, 05:35 PM   #10
CarolynF

Hi!

Sandy, I think you are right...just let it be! It will be lovely I'm sure.

Monday is the best Merc day, they say. Saturday is the busiest.

Karen...yes, you should be knee deep in snow by now. . See how you do this month.

Safe travels, Lori. I hate posting on my phone, too.

Today was our Brunch for our CWCommittee. My oh my! Too many cheats. Lots of leftover fruit for Gary.

I think that sauce recipe is good. Carolyn K. is such a marvelous cook. I think this sauce would make a good cafe mocha.

Dd has to work Christmas Eve. They will be here for Christmas to meet Sarah.

Got our real tree today. Fraser fir...the best tree that doesn't attack you.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #11
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh gosh - you are really a Minnesotan!!
We have just begun getting a little chilly and I'm freezing! LOL

I honestly love snow, but I think I love it because it comes and then goes around here.
And it always makes me make chili!
Old 12-01-2016, 05:44 PM   #12
CindyCRNA
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Karen, that's why we stay here. We are a hoot!!

My Avi is my horse Victor and me Heritage Park horse trials 5/16

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Hadel Briles
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:54 PM   #13
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

That hot fudge sauce....it seems like I was making something and needed it. I don't think I've ever made it. Let us know how you like it if you do. I can't see anything wonky about it!

Carolyn Ketchum is a marvelous recipe creator. Her site is called "All Day I Dream About Food" if you want to check it out.

I'm about to make a super big mix of Jennifer Eloff's Splended GF Bake Mix. That's what I use when I make pizza crusts. My SS and my DD and my mother are all requesting them, so back to the kitchen I go. Luckily they are easy.

I'm also going to make Carolyn Ketchum's chocolate peanut butter eggs - I don't make them into eggs, just whack it into an 8x8. I think we could all live on those things.

I think I did a "Fast 2-1/2" today. One meal. Can't imagine I need anything else!
Old 12-02-2016, 11:05 AM   #14
CarolynF

The gal at the coffee shop suggested I use the SF chocolate syrup in the breve this am. I had a meeting and was sitting there with tummy gas pains. I got home and downed 2 gas-x's. Still waiting for it to kick in. I have some charcoal tabs that I might try.... TMI.

Gos, one f my friend's posted a beef/pork pie that the French Canadians make for Christmas. It was beef/pork/onions/allspice/mashed potatoes/ in a 2 crust pie. What crust would be a good one to use?? Judy?

Old 12-02-2016, 02:43 PM   #15
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/143.8/140-145 5'6"
WOE: Fast-5 intermittent fasting
Start Date: January 2003
I'm not Judy, but if it doesn't have to be low carb I recommend the oil method pie crust recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook. It's been my fav pie crust recipe forever!! You roll it out between 2 pieces of wax paper and it has always turned out perfect. Very light and wonderfully flaky. Now I want pie!!

Sorry for your tummy issues. Was it from the chocolate syrup??

Food can wait!
There. Will. Always. Be. Food.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #16
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

NOW WE ALL WANT PIE!!!

I would use Jen Eloff's mozzarella crust. That's what I use for my pizzas. It is very good - obviously not a wheat crust, but super good. And I'd use real mashed potatoes in that thing. I bet it's divine.

And if it won't wreck your gut, use a wheat crust. Just for one special day. If it makes you feel sick, obv not worth it.

Wonder what was the sweetener in that chocolate syrup??? If that's the culprit...
Old 12-02-2016, 05:20 PM   #17
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

I am soooooo full. I don't know why because I have not had that much to eat today. I think eating in my window might be shrinking my tummy. That would be a good thing. Honestly, today is the first day that I have felt this full and this satisfied. Nice!!

Carolyn - your poor tummy. I'm praying that you'll have some real good toots and get that gas out of there.

Judy...you'll have to share that pizza crust if it's not too much trouble or if it is in the old posts I'll eventually find it. I tried your bundt cake for Thanksgiving and we didn't care much for it. I think it was the dry texture that we didn't like. I stuck it in the freezer until I could think of something to do with it. Just today I thought about making a batch of lemon pudding and spooning it over the cake for moisture and flavor. I think I'll try that this weekend.

And for the record I'm not that much of a die-hard for the snow except that the blanket of snow makes everything so nice and bright instead of grey and darkish. The white snow makes it seem like we have sunshine even on the days when we don't. And Judy...I'm always chilled too but when I get that way I drink a cup of hot water, hot soup, hot tea, or hot chocolate and my chills are tolerable. My heart is a summer girl. I love being able to run outside in bare feet to take out the trash or go check my garden.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:17 PM   #18
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh I can't believe the Bundt cake was dry! Mine is always super moist - people actually comment about how moist it is. Wonder what we do differently?? Definitely something spooned over it to salvage it. You used almond flour and full fat cream cheese?

I bet your stomach is definitely shrinking!
Old 12-03-2016, 03:23 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning!

I come on here to find you all talking about pies & cakes! OY! You are right...now I want pie! I am a very simple cook..you all put me to shame.

A couple of times I got SF choc syrup in an iced coffee at Starbucks and got the worst headache......it has broken me from using artificial sweetener much at all. I will use a few drops of stevia once in a while.

I'm going shopping with a friend today and out for lunch. I'm going to try to not spend too much as I went a little wild yesterday. My hair salon had a little Christmas party and they had a LulaRoe rep there and also a gal selling Magnolia & Vine jewelry. Let's just say I gave them both a bit of business!

Speaking of the hair salon, I think I may be getting a part-time job there after the new year. I need something to do part-time and I think it could be fun. It will just be manning the front desk and throwing towels in the wash etc. We'll see....if I hate it, I'll quit! The girls who work there are very nice and seem to have a good time.

Well, our family has venison. I only wish I liked it. My husband got a buck yesterday and our 12 year old grandson got one too! They are back out this morning hunting doe. Sigh.....I don't understand the hunting thing, but I have to grin and bear it.

Hope you all enjoy your Saturday!
Old 12-03-2016, 06:50 AM   #20
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Lori I don't get it either, but we have a lot of hunters in our family, too. Why can't they get their meat from the grocery store like the rest of us?? Just kidding.
My nephew thinks his Crohn's is in remission because he stopped eating processed foods and commercial meats. Maybe so, I don't know. But if it works for him/them, it works for them. I wish I could get past that gamey taste.

I am nearly jealous of your part-time job. I could hang out at my hair dressers all day. I always hate to leave. Lol Hope it's fun for you!

I am sorry you must avoid artificial sweeteners. It makes this way of eating so joyous for my family. I know some can't tolerate them. I've been using ALL of them for 50 years or more. Who knows? Maybe they'll come up with a new one that doesn't give you a headache.

Carolyn have you tried the artificial sweetener called Pyure? Walmart carries it and I think it's pretty much Swerve. It doesn't come in a confectioner's kind, so if I need powdered, I powder it myself in my Ninja. Cheaper than Swerve, too. Can't remember if you can tolerate erythritol.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:03 PM   #21
CarolynF

Hi ladies...

It was malitol....straight from the devil. I had some charcoal tabs that calmed it down so I didn't embarrass myself last night..SPLENDA Naturals is erythritol and stevia and very good/sweet.

Well, I got the ingredients to make the pork/beef pie plus a Pillsbury crust. Thanks for the crust suggestions...I'll try that oil one, Sandy.

The bazaars were fun, but just bought a few things...

Tree is still not decorated, but will get it done tomorrow when Dh will help me bring the boxes up. Didn't we just do this?

Old 12-03-2016, 05:07 PM   #22
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes. We just did this. LOL
Old 12-03-2016, 05:24 PM   #23
CarolynF

Oh my, I made the illegal pie. I Breathe I'm Hungry has a low carb version of the tortiere. She uses the mozzarella cheese/almond flour crust. The spices are the key to this I think. Allspice, thyme, sage are the main spices.

Judy, thanks for the Chub post. He was a piece of work. My friend's meighbor worked at the nursing home where he was.

I'm stuffed.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:41 PM   #24
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

I was just re-sending your earlier post. I didn't know there was a Splenda Naturals with erythritol and Stevia! Do you find it at Walmart? Is it less expensive than Swerve? Have you seen Pyure or tried it?
I have lots of questions, don't I?
Old 12-03-2016, 09:43 PM   #25
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

I'm so glad my husband doesn't hunt. I think deer meat is yucky, of coarse I'm the one who thinks most meat is yucky but deer meat is double yucky. Sort of tastes like chewing on the bottom of an old shoe. Lori, have fun turning that pigs ear into a divine dish. I don't think guys really like the taste of deer. They just like the idea of hunting the poor beasts and throwing that dead weight on their backs and getting the picture. It's a man thing

I'm like you Lori, I'm not much of a cook. We eat pretty bland. I cook but I rarely do things like casserole's or meats. I make homemade soups, veggie burgers (Had it for lunch...yumm), veggie crumble meatless loaf (had it for supper), then we just add green beans, corn, lettuce salad, mixed veggies, fresh or canned fruit, shake or eggs for breakfast, toast with pecan butter maybe once a week, Pizza on Friday's, salads like potato salad, coleslaw, broccoli salad, 3-bean salad........yep, pretty plain.

Honestly, I'd rather do the dishes than cook. I cook because we have to eat not because I enjoy doing it. I think I don't like to cook because when I make recipes with lots of ingredients I have a hard time counting the calories and I've been a calorie counter since my teens. Every day I have this little mental calculator counting the calories. So counting a cup of plain green beans (70) is easier than trying to figure out how many calories are in something that has 10 ingredients (casserole). I don't like eating out for the same reason. I feel a little panicked when they bring those huge servings loaded with butter, cheese and lord only knows what else. So for me counting a Cheeseburger at McDonald's (320 cals) is easier, although I only hit McDonald's on rare occasions, usually if I'm shopping and just want a quick sandwich through the drive-through.

Lot's of office work today then I picked away at a jigsaw puzzle tonight while visiting with my son. Doing well with the window eating. My appetite for snacking is nearly gone. On occasion I think I'd like a snack but my brain says, "NO" you are not hungry, you just desire something so go drink a glass of water and forget it". I love this window philosophy.

Glad your toots are out, Carolyn !!!
Old 12-03-2016, 09:48 PM   #26
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Oh and Lori....the salon job sounds nice. And maybe a nice discount on cut and color. Oh yeahhhh!
Old 12-03-2016, 10:07 PM   #27
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

I used to count calories. That's why I eat low carb. No counting, just eating low carb.
I used to have lots of little books giving the calorie count for various food items.
I don't miss that, but definitely to each their own.

If you are able to limit your eating within your window, surely you'll see success soon.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:35 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning!

Thanks for the comments on the salon job. I kind of go back and forth, but I think I would enjoy it, most of the time. They do have to be flexible with me as I have vacations planned etc.

WOW did I find deals while out shopping with my friend yesterday! I bought some boring household things, but then some fun things too. I found 2 tunics that can be worn as dresses too at Old Navy. I don't usually shop there, but my friend wanted to stop in. Glad we did! I didn't try them on until we were home and they are good, except the upper arms are a little tight. I can wear them fine, but a bit looser in the arms would have been nice. They will look cute with leggings. Anyway, then we went to Penney's and I found 2 pair of short boots that I liked. They were half price plus another 25% off! I got 2 pair of boots for under $60!! Love them!

Buying these new things gives me incentive to get in my walk in closet and have a major clean out. I need to get rid of things that I simply won't wear and reorganize what I'm keeping. I'll be making a nice donation to the Good Will box.

I had a horrible eating day yesterday. Today I WILL NOT eat before my window opens and then it will not be junk. Tonight for dinner I'm making a beef tenderloin. I'm very nervous about it, as it was really expensive. I want to do it to medium instead of rare as most recipes recommend. I like it pink in the middle, but not bloody. Fingers crossed.

Today will be for doing laundry and maybe I'll get in that closet and get started.

Have a good day!
Old 12-04-2016, 06:14 AM   #29
CarolynF

Hi,

Rainy day here....

Yes, the salon job sounds fun, but only if you want to do it. Good bargains!!!

I was a professional calorie counter, too..

Have to sub in a Sunday School class today. Hope the class did their homework and likes to talk! It's older adults!

Better hop in the shower!

Old 12-04-2016, 07:56 AM   #30
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Good good luck on that tenderloin!!
I've never done one. DH always does them on our outdoor grill. It's a magical mystery to me.

Hope your adults were ready to help you out today, Carolyn.

I'm cooking today, with a little housework thrown in. Maddox comes this evening to spend a few nights. Baby Milo comes tomorrow morning!