Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 12-26-2016, 05:46 PM   #151
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Still Karen
Stats: 173 starting weight, now 168
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Feb 15, 2017
Hello Friends,

Sandy and Carolyn...travel safely with all our prayers surrounding you. Somewhere warm sounds lovelyyyyyyyyyy!!

Yes, my son is doing well. Thanks for all your concern.

It sounds like some of you got some nice LC gifts for Christmas. I'm not sure what special "pot" that is but if it makes cooking more fun it has my thumbs-up.

We are always home alone for Christmas (family out of state), which we are used to after 20 years. We have had a wonderful time as usual. Christmas eve was relaxation while we enjoyed our favorite Italian foods. We love music so all day Christmas we had two local PBS stations playing local college concert choirs. Beautiful Music!! and the BYU channel (Mormon) had three different concerts with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. One of them was an Amy Grant concert at the Mormon Temple....absolutely beautiful!! And the Mormon channel had a couple nice Christmas movies during the day so just as we were starting to get a little tired of music we had a nice change to sit and relax with a "clean" movie. Loved it.

And I'm so proud of myself. This is my third day of eating within my 5 hour window again. I think I'm finally tired of holiday treats. (It's about time ) I finally told my husband about our group and the 5 hour window WOE this weekend (He had a three day weekend off work....) He thought it sounded interesting and said he might start trying that. He said he hadn't even noticed that I was doing this. I told him it worked into our eating schedule so well that it isn't noticeable to other people. My usual window is to eat from noon - 5 p.m. We usually eat our evening meal around 4:45 when he gets home from work. He thought that was clever.
Still Karen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2016, 05:49 PM   #152
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
Carolyn safe travels! I'm on my phone, so will answer more later.
I think Sandy left today.

Loving that Beth and Sarah are choosing to spend time together!
Old 12-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #153
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Yeah you, Karen! I tossed some not so good high carb cookies someone gave us. If I am going to cheat, it had better be good!

I love Christmas music. I like James Taylor's Christmas album for casual stuff.

We can't bring purses to the game. This was a KSU rule, too..you can bring a tiny purse or a plastic bag or nothing. I'll bring nothing.

Thanks for the safety prayers. I am starting to take turmeric more for those old limbs.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:15 PM   #154
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Hello Friends,

Sandy and Carolyn...travel safely with all our prayers surrounding you. Somewhere warm sounds lovelyyyyyyyyyy!!

Yes, my son is doing well. Thanks for all your concern.

It sounds like some of you got some nice LC gifts for Christmas. I'm not sure what special "pot" that is but if it makes cooking more fun it has my thumbs-up.

We are always home alone for Christmas (family out of state), which we are used to after 20 years. We have had a wonderful time as usual. Christmas eve was relaxation while we enjoyed our favorite Italian foods. We love music so all day Christmas we had two local PBS stations playing local college concert choirs. Beautiful Music!! and the BYU channel (Mormon) had three different concerts with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. One of them was an Amy Grant concert at the Mormon Temple....absolutely beautiful!! And the Mormon channel had a couple nice Christmas movies during the day so just as we were starting to get a little tired of music we had a nice change to sit and relax with a "clean" movie. Loved it.

And I'm so proud of myself. This is my third day of eating within my 5 hour window again. I think I'm finally tired of holiday treats. (It's about time ) I finally told my husband about our group and the 5 hour window WOE this weekend (He had a three day weekend off work....) He thought it sounded interesting and said he might start trying that. He said he hadn't even noticed that I was doing this. I told him it worked into our eating schedule so well that it isn't noticeable to other people. My usual window is to eat from noon - 5 p.m. We usually eat our evening meal around 4:45 when he gets home from work. He thought that was clever.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:23 PM   #155
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Sorry for the double post. I came here to talk about LC Pizza Crust and my post was still in the posting box. I thought my mind was slipping because I was sure I had posted it but being 59 with a brain that is coming off sugar I thought maybe I was wrong so I pushed the "Submit Reply" button and see that it posted twice. Nice to know I'm not the only thing who has memory problems....hey computer program, get with it.

Now my real reason for coming here.....

I'm reading on the LC group and ran across the Fantastic Flour Mix. Do any of you use this??? I was thinking about trying it for Pizza Crust but also saw some of the people talking about a Cauliflower Pizza Crust that they all love but can't find where they posted the recipe. Any suggestions???? Thanks. I'm trying to be open to more LC recipes.....weird ingredients though and I would like to know if they taste good before investing in them. thanks
Old 12-26-2016, 07:26 PM   #156
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

oh and Carolyn.............oh yeah....love that James Taylor too. I think we could hang together with the same "records" playing. My kids laugh at me because I still call CD's records and tapes. Ha Ha.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:39 PM   #157
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh i am way into that flour mix. Love it for many applications

BUT without a doubt, my favorite pizza crust is Jennifer Eloff's.
Hang on, I'll find it and post it.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:48 PM   #158
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Karen - congrats on staying in your window and moving toward lower carb.
I think you'll find your success!!

Here is my favorite recipe for pizza crust (it makes a very large one or several small ones) from Jennifer Eloff:

This dough is nothing short of amazing! It rolls out perfectly (very easy to work with) and fills a large pizza pan. It is a crispy thin crust that tastes fantastic! Towards the center the crust is softer, not unlike regular pizzas as well. The carbs are pretty low per slice, too, so that’s a bonus!

2 cups grated Mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp melted butter
1 cup Gluten-Free Bake Mix 2 - (no gelatin needed) See recipe below
1 egg, fork beaten
1/4 tsp onion salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Preheat oven to 400°F.

In microwave oven in microwaveable bowl, melt Mozzarella cheese. This took 2 minutes in my 1200 Watt microwave oven. Remove with oven gloves (be very careful!). (This takes 1 minute 45 seconds in Judy's microwave)
Add melted butter.
Place Gluten-Free Bake Mix 2 on top.
In small bowl, beat egg with fork.
Add onion salt and garlic powder.
Add to Mozzarella cheese.
Stir with a fork or mixing spoon to form a dough ball.
Place on large greased pizza pan.
Using plastic wrap placed over the dough and a rolling pin or cylindrical can, roll dough out. (Judy uses parchment paper for rolling the dough)

Bake 10 minutes on the middle shelf and then keep an eye on it each minute thereafter, as it can get too brown very quickly.
Remove.
Add pizza sauce and toppings and bake another 8 minutes.

Splendid Gluten-Free Bake Mix
1-2/3 cups almond flour
3/4 cup oat flour
2 Tbsp. coconut flour
Add 1 tsp. unflavored gelatin per 1 cup mix.
~~~~~~~
I always make a huge batch of Jennifer's Splendid Gluten-Free Mix and keep it in a big baggie in the refrigerator. I like lots of her recipes and use her mix very frequently.
But even non low-carb people like this crust. I hope you do!

I bought a tortilla press and make that pizza dough recipe into 6 individual pizzas. Big hit with my family.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:42 AM   #159
Lori_:)
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 223/174/160(?)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 1/1/13
Good Morning!

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas. We had a nice time with our daughter and her family. I'm ready to settle down into routine after all the "this and that" of the Holiday. New Year's eve will be a low key event here. DH & I will just stay home and probably get some steamed shrimp as a treat while we watch football on TV.

I was doing good on my LC plan yesterday until the afternoon when I dipped into the chocolates. Sigh...today is another day. I wish I could wrap my head around the eating window....I'll give it a try today, even if it is more like an 8 hour window. Have to start somewhere.

Boot camp studio is closed this week, so I'm up early for nothing! (4:15AM). I guess my cat was afraid I was going to oversleep and miss boot camp! Bless her. This super early rising makes trying to do the eating window even harder. When you get up at 4, by 10AM, you are starving!

Have a great week!
Old 12-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #160
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

I was thinking, Lori. I have SO MUCH FOOD here. It's all LC, but it's so very much!
Last night I was picking at so many different things, just because it's here.
First World problems, I guess.

I really used to just keep my window open longer - it's fine right now.
You're still limiting your time. Do better when you can do better.
And yes - getting up super early makes me ravenous beyond reason by 8 AM!

Hope all our travelers are having nice days.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #161
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Judy, you are marvelous!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the recipe. These ingredients seem normal to me, I use them routinely in cookies (my weakness). One easy jump to LC for me might be pizza so I thought it might be a good first start to changing a single food that we like, and it is not packed with meat although I could do a sprinkle of ground beef or pepperoni if desired. I would do onion, tomato, green peppers, mushrooms & mozzarella cheese for toppings.

Thanks a million!!!

Lori....your boot camp sounds exhausting to me. Do you REALLY like that 4 a.m. schedule and do you really see a favorable result? Why so early in the morning when your muscles and joints are at their coldest/most vulnerable for injury? Can you do that workout in the afternoon or evening? There are tons of great boot camp DVD's that you could do at home on your own schedule. If you could have more normal hours and if the boot camp workout could be in the middle or at the end of your fasting time I wonder if it would be more comfortable and more achievable. Just a thought
Old 12-27-2016, 09:56 AM   #162
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

That's what our kids do - it's just a cheese pizza for them.
I've even started to prefer it that way. Occasionally we'll load it up with all the vegetables and maybe some meat, but it's really good just the way it is with a little sauce and more cheese on top.

I think Lori has had so much success with her workouts. Congrats on what works for everyone! I'm sure my body would be happier if I did some workouts.

Karen I forgot to mention how great it sounded you found a workout that didn't hurt you!! Happy to hear that!

Now to look in my own mirror...
Old 12-27-2016, 03:49 PM   #163
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi gals....

We are in Athens Texas.. 2/3 of the way there, they had food in the lobby. . I had some popcorn. A tiny bit.

The beds are quite high off the ground..very comfy though.

I do need to get back to the gym.....

How is Mindy doing, Judy?

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:07 PM   #164
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/143.8/140-145 5'6"
WOE: Fast-5 intermittent fasting
Start Date: January 2003
Hi from Perrin Tx!! We visited my sister, niece, nephew and great niece yesterday and last night we went out for Mexican food. Then this morning we had a quiet morning with just my sister over coffee. It was obvious to both of us that she had a long list of things that she needed to get done so we left there late morning and headed west/south. We didn't really have a plan on where to stay for the night so we ended up here in Perrin, Tx at a lovely RV resort. Nice, nice owners!! Too bad it's not far enough south for us, lol.

Thank you all for the prayers. We came upon an accident on I-44 today that literally had just happened. 30-60 seconds before we saw it!! Thank you Lord!! We'll have a full day tomorrow driving and find another RV place to overnight. And then the next day we'll arrive at our winter destination!!

Sounds like everybody had a lovely Christmas, as did we. Everything is always such a whirlwind and this year was no exception. Especially with all of our packing. It was 66 degrees here when we pulled in late this afternoon!! Lovin' it!!

You all take care! Talk to you soon.

Food can wait!
There. Will. Always. Be. Food.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:43 PM   #165
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Hello travelers!!

Carolyn, physically Mindy is doing very well. She's home and slowly gaining strength. She is supposedly cancer-free. Seems like an actual miracle.
Mentally, she has trouble being alone. In fact will not be alone.
So her husband is kind of "stuck" until things improve, and they're working on that.
But that's where she is right now.

Sandy I'm sorry you had to see that wreck, and so glad you were not in it.
Sounds like you were able to assess your sister's situation. Kind of glad your sister is going to keep busy.

Sounds like you are already having fun!!!

Carolyn don't worry about a little popcorn. You'll be fine when you get back. Good you can contain it to "a little." I have issues with popcorn, as you know!
Old 12-28-2016, 01:51 AM   #166
Lori_:)
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 223/174/160(?)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 1/1/13
Good Morning!

Glad all the travelers are safe....highway travel can be so scary! Enjoy!

Yes, I am one of those crazy morning people. I'm up at 4AM again today thanks to my cat. I was awake anyway, as I'm so used to this schedule. I'm missing my boot camp and will be glad when the studio reopens next week. They do offer sessions later in the day and evening, but I like getting it done in the morning. It has reshaped my body like nothing else I have ever done. We do a gentle warm up to get our muscles ready to go. As a matter of fact, if you are late and don't get there for the warm up, they will not let you participate. Too much risk of injury.

I'm going to add another mode of exercise to the mix in 2017. I was reading about it on FB yesterday. The goal is to walk 1,000 miles in the year. That is only 2.75 miles a day. The thing is to be consistent with it......it's a goal. I will actually do a walk/run as that's what I like to do. I wasted a perfectly lovely day yesterday sitting in my chair.....I've got to remedy that situation. I have a treadmill upstairs for cold days.....no excuses!

I hope you are all enjoying this week between Christmas and the New Year. I have lots of errands to do today.....getting them done as the weather is going to turn ugly for the next few days.

Have a great day!
Old 12-28-2016, 05:23 AM   #167
kimmiejean
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimmiejean
Stats: 245/224/175
Start Date: 10/31/2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hi gals....

We are in Athens Texas.. 2/3 of the way there, they had food in the lobby. . I had some popcorn. A tiny bit.

The beds are quite high off the ground..very comfy though.

I do need to get back to the gym.....

How is Mindy doing, Judy?

You must have stayed at the Holiday Inn? LOL Sorry, those beds are so comfy, but they are high up off the ground. Henderson County is the number one retirement community in Texas.

Just wanted to say Hello!
Old 12-28-2016, 06:35 AM   #168
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Kimmijean hello!

So funny you are chiming in.
My DH and I worked in Athens for about a year more than 20 years ago.
Also Palestine. Awfully nice people there!
Old 12-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #169
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Checking in while I'm "Opening my Window"....yeahhhhhhhh!!!! and having my Evolv Chocolate shake, vitamins, & pea salad. I love IF-ing!!!!! I wonder if any of the rest of you IFers do what I just did today. When it was time for my window to open I stood in my living room, thrusted my right fist into the air (as in a victory salute) and said "yesssssssssssssssss". Then went to the blender and fridge to open the window. I rarely have any trouble getting through my 19 hour fast. It helps to stay busy but I'm rewiring my brain to not need my "pacifier" (snacks) while relaxing with a movie, TV show or book.

Sandy and Carolyn....catch a few sun rays for me, please. Getting a little pale here in the north country.

Judy - I mixed up the Splendid Gluten-Free Bake Mix, added the unflavored jello, then realized for the Pizza Crust it is no jello in the Mix. Can I still use it for Pizza Crust with the jello added? My guess is it might make it a little more crunchy (Is that right?) which is fine with me because I like crunchy pizza crust. If not, I'll mix a new batch. It just so happened that I had all the ingredients in the house so I just mixed it even though I won't make the pizza for a few more days.

Lori....I bow to your tenacity to do the 4 a.m. boot camp. I worked four years at a job where I had to get up at 4:30 p.m., got ready, did my 10 minute elliptical workout, went to work, and arrived home at 6:30 p.m. totally trashed with exhaustion every night. I was sooooo happy when that gig ended. I've always been a morning person, still am, but 4 a.m. is not my happy place. Even in the summer it is always dark and unmotivating at that time of day. No thanks....I need some daylight to function. I remember once during those years a morning when my alarm clock fell off my night table and while making my bed that morning I kicked it in a rage of anger across the room, something I don't usually do in my life, but I had had one to many 4 a.m. dark wake-up calls and my mental health was starting to show it. So good for you if you can do that and remain happy.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #170
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

oops.....I meant to say I got up at 4:30 a.m. (not p.m.) in the to Lori section.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #171
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh Karen, I'm sorry. I wrote the recipe wrong. It was short-hand for me and I just cut and pasted. I apologize.

But no, the gelatin will not hurt a thing. Since it's not wheat, the gelatin helps with structure in some applications. Gelatin's supposed to be good for our joints, so maybe this will be a little help!

I should have written the 3 flours only, then added that 1 tsp. of unflavored gelatin is added per 1 cup of the mix in some recipes. Sorry.

I can't link to her site because it contains ads, but if you google Splendid Low-Carbing by Jennifer Eloff, you might like to look through her recipes. I like many many of her recipes.

But as I said, that little bit in your GF bake mix won't hurt a thing.

I agree - all hail Lori and her early mornings!

I'm going to try a new recipe that will probably taste exactly like crack slaw - egg roll in a bowl. I'll let you know...
Old 12-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #172
CindyCRNA
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Karen View Post
Judy, you are marvelous!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the recipe. These ingredients seem normal to me, I use them routinely in cookies (my weakness). One easy jump to LC for me might be pizza so I thought it might be a good first start to changing a single food that we like, and it is not packed with meat although I could do a sprinkle of ground beef or pepperoni if desired. I would do onion, tomato, green peppers, mushrooms & mozzarella cheese for toppings.

Thanks a million!!!

Lori....your boot camp sounds exhausting to me. Do you REALLY like that 4 a.m. schedule and do you really see a favorable result? Why so early in the morning when your muscles and joints are at their coldest/most vulnerable for injury? Can you do that workout in the afternoon or evening? There are tons of great boot camp DVD's that you could do at home on your own schedule. If you could have more normal hours and if the boot camp workout could be in the middle or at the end of your fasting time I wonder if it would be more comfortable and more achievable. Just a thought
I used to work days and if I didn't do it first thing, it didn't get done!

Cats are asleep on their heating pads, the tree is still standing , life is good!

My Avi is my horse Victor and me Heritage Park horse trials 5/16

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Hadel Briles
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #173
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

"crack slaw - egg roll in a bowl". Let us know how it tastes Judy. I'll google Jennifer Eloff's recipes. Thanks. Can't wait to try to pizza but we have lots of leftovers in the fridge right now and I'm a food-**** about not wasting food.

Cindy
Old 12-29-2016, 01:17 PM   #174
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Ahhhh, the board starred out my word. It was food - N-A-Z-i-. Let's see if it takes it now.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #175
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

I hate wasting food!!!
Hate it hate it hate it.

Cindy so glad you have those purring machines!
Old 12-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #176
CindyCRNA
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Karen View Post
Ahhhh, the board starred out my word. It was food - N-A-Z-i-. Let's see if it takes it now.
Ok, that's funny the board bleeped that out! Everyone knows the Seinfeld episode with the soup ..... what you said!

My Avi is my horse Victor and me Heritage Park horse trials 5/16

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Hadel Briles
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #177
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Old 12-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #178
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Holy Cow!!!! I just googled Spendid Low-Carbing by Jennifer Eloff. You gals may have convinced me to cook after seeing that giant list of yummy recipes. I'll take it one recipe at a time. Thanks Judy.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #179
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh Karen, there are so many great low carb recipe sites.
So many with few ingredients (my favorite criteria).

But Jennifer Eloff is a wonderful recipe creator.

Just to let you know, our own dear CarolynF is a wonderful recipe creator!

I am no creator, but I think I have a good eye. I have few failures, but ask a lot of questions first. LOL
Old 12-30-2016, 09:10 AM   #180
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Yeah to Carolyn the great recipe creator

And to Judy the great non-recipe creator but the wonderful recipe sharer

Together we have fun while our tummy's growl and we are happy about it.

I'm off to a friends house to see her new resurfaced wood floor. We are going to have hot chocolate and a tin of my Christmas cookies while catching up on some long overdue visiting. I think this will be my last festive eating day. I'm so happy though because I will be visiting during my open window and can munch without guilt.

Have a lovely day, ladies.