Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-04-2017, 10:31 PM   #31
MerryKate
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 219/207.6/175
WOE: HFLC/ADF
Start Date: January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
I did weigh at the doctors, and whereas I don't like where the scales are now, I have lost 11 lbs since before Christmas, my last visit. Only 6 days keto.
Keep up the good work!
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2017, 05:07 AM   #32
magnamater
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: magnamater
Sorry if this is TMI, but I had 2 doctor visits yesterday, and the late afternoon one was finding the results of a sleep study I had done at home. And I have some severe sleep apnea, but won't get the cpap for about 2 weeks. I've heard it might help in many ways, including weight loss, but am afraid of sleeping now! Until I get the cpap.

Anyone have any experience with cpap?
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #33
FitKat
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FitKat
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3-4-10
Hello there, ladies! May I join you all? A bit about me...

I've been on and off of low carb for several years now. I just recently began to lose weight once again and am nearing the lowest size I've been in quite some time. (Sooooo excited!!) I just joined a 30-day challenge through a friend and need all of the motivation I can get. I really love the keto way of eating as it keeps me from being so hungry all the time! How can you beat being satisfied and doing positive things for your health?!?!?

��Kat
FitKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #34
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/165/155
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Kat!!! I agree, what could be better than keto?!!Well maybe a couple of things but not much!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:07 AM   #35
Dihawk
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dihawk
Stats: 182/154/145
WOE: Atkins 72/Lchf
Start Date: Jan.2013
Well it's day 9! Feeling very good, down 4 1/2 lbs. still trying to get ketones up. .7 yesterday. Motivation is still high and I have some fun things to look forward to. I have been reading some of Dr Fung's fasting and I'm thinking about trying it.

Hey magnamater, I'm coming your way for a long week end. I have a granddaughter in the Dallas area. Her mother, sister and I are flying in for a short visit .
Dihawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:41 AM   #36
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Good to hear that you are doing well Dihawk! For me the hardest part was getting past day 5. You are on your way!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
We are butter together!
Old 01-07-2017, 06:55 AM   #37
Marinemom3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Marinemom3
Dealing with sleep apnea

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I got a cpap. You will not die if you fall asleep with out it. But you will feel amazing once you start getting. Good sleep. Headaches gone, brain fog gone, energy and better mood. It's great. My advise wear Capp while watching tv or reading etc. get used to it be comfortable with it

Last edited by Marinemom3; 01-07-2017 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: Spell check changed a word
Marinemom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:09 AM   #38
Patience
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patience
I am on day 10 and doing good.
Other than a couple minor missteps I have been on plan.
I've had no alcohol and no nuts, which is a major goal.
I stumbled too many times in 2016, but I am feeling strong right now.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:43 PM   #39
Shantony
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shantony
Stats: 258/252/135 (5' 2")
WOE: lchf/keto
Start Date: October 5, 2016
Hi Everyone. I would like to join you. I need the support. I have done low carb successfully but its not quite working as it used to. I am giving NK a go and am on day 4. I am reading books and such and trying to figure it out. I have my macros and feel like I did when I first learned LC woe. Even though i feel like a heroin withdraw addict right now. I have noticed and dh has noticed that i have spurts of energy. I also notice that my joints are not hurting or creaking up and down the stairs.

My Journal: Shantony's Journal to Wholeness

My Blog: Lowcarbology

Mini Goal
Clean up my eating for the rest of October 2016
Shantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:25 AM   #40
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 228/177/150
WOE: LCHF/IF
Start Date: IF/LCHF start: June 2016
Hi All!

Just popping in to let you know that I am with you all! Not starting anew, but making a change. I am watching my fats and my macros closer again, I was letting things slip!

xxx

female, 41 y/o, 5'10"

My 30-day ketogenic cleanse food pics:
https://goo.gl/photos/BempEGLejSXZ3GcF6
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:10 AM   #41
FitKat
Junior LCF Member

Sounds like people are doing well and that's great to hear! Last night I was tempted by things my kids were eating but I stayed the course. I'm also trying to not consume nuts right now, as Patience mentioned. We'll see if that helps with some results. This morning has been okay. I wasn't too hungry but I was just helping a coworker who was eating yogurt with granola and it smelled divine! I'll keep plugging along, though! Waiting to have my first meal around noon.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:18 AM   #42
Shantony
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shantony
Stats: 258/252/135 (5' 2")
WOE: lchf/keto
Start Date: October 5, 2016
I am so happy that the cravings have subsided. My family ate my most favorite food ever. A comfort food. I smelled it. Told them I hated them all but I did not sample it. It really didnt even bother me after the initial smell. All I kept telling myself was if I eat that, my joints will hurt, I will have to go through keto flu again and that was enough to say it wasnt worth it. When I weigh anyfood against those thoughts I find that no avoidance food is worth it.

Each time I resist, I feel a bit stronger and a bit more in control. Because high glycemic carbs have controlled me most of my life it feels good to be almost free of their allure.

My Journal: Shantony's Journal to Wholeness

My Blog: Lowcarbology

Mini Goal
Clean up my eating for the rest of October 2016
Shantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #43
kc15652
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kc15652
Stats: 235/229/170
Start Date: July 2016
I's love to join in too! I started Keto diet on Monday. How long does the Keto flu last? I had much success with low carb in the past so I know it works. I never did the high fat before though so going to try it a little different this time. Love sharing food ideas too
Old 01-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #44
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitKat View Post
Sounds like people are doing well and that's great to hear! Last night I was tempted by things my kids were eating but I stayed the course. I'm also trying to not consume nuts right now, as Patience mentioned. We'll see if that helps with some results. This morning has been okay. I wasn't too hungry but I was just helping a coworker who was eating yogurt with granola and it smelled divine! I'll keep plugging along, though! Waiting to have my first meal around noon.
Well done! It is really a process in my opinion. Learning that you are not going to faint dead away if you wait a couple of hours for food and then that food is so satisfying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantony View Post
I am so happy that the cravings have subsided. My family ate my most favorite food ever. A comfort food. I smelled it. Told them I hated them all but I did not sample it. It really didnt even bother me after the initial smell. All I kept telling myself was if I eat that, my joints will hurt, I will have to go through keto flu again and that was enough to say it wasnt worth it. When I weigh anyfood against those thoughts I find that no avoidance food is worth it.

Each time I resist, I feel a bit stronger and a bit more in control. Because high glycemic carbs have controlled me most of my life it feels good to be almost free of their allure.
And that is the trick - to remind yourself of the truth. Great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc15652 View Post
I's love to join in too! I started Keto diet on Monday. How long does the Keto flu last? I had much success with low carb in the past so I know it works. I never did the high fat before though so going to try it a little different this time. Love sharing food ideas too
You don't have to suffer necessarily with keto flu. If you consume a couple of cups of salty broth each day, you may avoid it all together. Welcome!

We are butter together!
Old 01-12-2017, 05:43 AM   #45
Dihawk
Senior LCF Member

It's been 2 weeks on hflc. Down 4 1//2. Lbs. B/G. 101. And Ketones in the morning.4. I can't seem to get ketones up pass .7. I hate keeping track of my carbs. You would think that being on this woe for years,( off an on) I would know what to eat! Going back to tracking!!! I will NOT GIVE UP! This is 1 reason I bought my Keto meter. I would think I'm doing great but not loosening. Now I know I'm not in ketosis.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:09 AM   #46
clackley
Chatty Cathy

I have found that I.F. raises my ketones from sometimes as low as .8 to 1.5+ after a few days.

I have also heard that people who are keto adapted don't necessarily show very high blood ketones because they are good at producing and using what they need and not excess.

We are butter together!
Old 01-12-2017, 07:28 PM   #47
Dihawk
Senior LCF Member

I have been reading a lot about I.F . Been working up to it . Hope I can up my ketones and keep my appetite under control as I have a trip (long week end) and don't want to make bad choices! I had a very good day. 2 meals and no snacking. Very important no snacks!
Old 01-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #48
Dihawk
Senior LCF Member

I did it! I can't believe it! Ketones 2.8. B/G 80. I started tracking, no snacking,carbs under 20, no artificial sugar and 2 meals a day. Fasting 16 to 18 hrs. I did notice when I did eat, I wanted something sweet. So that is when I had my broth and later at nite bpc at nite. So now what? Repeat yesterday ! Add more water and a little excerise.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:33 AM   #49
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Fantastic!!! You have 'arrived'!

We are butter together!
Old 01-15-2017, 04:48 PM   #50
FitKat
Junior LCF Member

I have to say IF has made a HUGE difference in me actually being able to lose weight this time. I am very close to the weight on my drivers license!! I would have told you that was not possible. It seemed like everything I tried for years had little to no effect on me then this just "magically" worked for me.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:41 AM   #51
clackley
Chatty Cathy

FitKat, can you share how you fast?

We are butter together!
Old 01-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #52
carolynn
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: carolynn
Stats: 200/193/140
WOE: EFGT, N ketosis
Start Date: 6/2014 restart 1/17/17
Joining in and beginning Keto again today.. Love reading all of the posts as motivation!
carolynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #53
Cassandie
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cassandie
Stats: 318/309/180
WOE: Keto
Start Date: Jan 2017
I'm new here, but am so thankful to find this board! I started around Jan 6, am down 9lbs so far. I'm so excited about finding a WOE that I truly believe I can do for the rest of my life. I have fallen off the wagon so many times because nothing I tried before was sustainable long term.
Cassandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:54 PM   #54
FitKat
Junior LCF Member

Hi! When I'm doing my fasting, I try to not have anything with calories before about noon every day. So I do partake in flavored drinks, water, tea, etc. Then I try to eat two meals within 4 - 5 hours after starting to eat. I may have two meals plus a snack in there but try not to go completely crazy. Sometimes my schedule doesn't allow that brief of a window so my second meal is around 6 hours after my first. I still need to perfect all of this but it's going pretty well so far.

Note: the last two days I have been hungrier than normal. I try to just keep on going and busy myself to ignore it. If I'm still hungrier than usual tomorrow I will likely extend my eating another two hours. No sense in being hungry! Especially when you're doing Keto.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:36 AM   #55
FitKat
Junior LCF Member

How is everyone after the weekend? I made it to 24-hours fasted yesterday just by keeping busy but - wow - was I ever HUNGRY!! And today I'm super hungry too. Put off eating until my usual noon, but I was sure watching the clock!! One of my super sweet coworkers offered to buy me a coffee and I couldn't say no but I don't like coffee black so I just set it aside until lunch time then warmed it up with some hot water and added my HWC. Yum!
Old 01-24-2017, 04:46 AM   #56
Dihawk
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone, I went on my long week end to Dallas. I did excellent! Stayed on plan, lost 1 pound. First morning back ketones 2.3. I was surprised about my feet retaining fluid. I'm not sure if fying had anything to do with it? I will keep an eye on it for a few days and see if they go down. Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 02-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #57
FitKat
Junior LCF Member

Good job while traveling, Dihawk! That can be exceptionally difficult. How is your fluid retention doing now that some time has passed?

I just finished my challenge group today. It was great but it was hard for me. I ended up losing almost 5 lbs so I'll take it!! I had a great compliment the other day from my nail lady. I hadn't been able to get into her specifically for about a month or so and she noticed my weight loss!! I'm in the smallest pants size I've worn in about 10 years! I had to buy new pants for work because I only have one pair in my new size.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:25 AM   #58
mom2zeke
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/140.4/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Hey all! I don't know if any of you remember me. I started the thread that started this topic in 2012! I just checked and my last post was in February 2013. I didn't exactly fall off the wagon, but life got pretty busy and I just stopped posting.

The past four years have been okay in terms of maintaining with some ups and downs. I see from my sidebar that when I left I weighed 144.8 (goal weight 150).

A year ago we remodeled and then moved out of our home of 17 years. I also started a new job. It was a lot of stress last January and February and I ate more off plan that I had in many years (dim sum of all things!). I wound up around 155 and while I was technically on-plan, I could not seem to get back the mojo to get down to 150.

Fast forward to January 10, 2017. I decided to recommit to this WOE and as of this morning I am at 146. I wanted to get back down to 145 but now I think I might try for 140. The support here at LCF has always helped me reach new goals, so here I am! I look forward to taking the journey into uncharted scale territory with all of you!

Other stuff going on: kettlebells are still my training method of choice and I'm a certified level I kettlebell instructor and am training for my level II in two weeks. These are personal goals, I don't actually train anyone. But the certification weekends are long and hard and I'm working on planning my nutrition for the upcoming weekend.

I don't have my ketone meter anymore (it got tossed in the move and I hadn't used it in years). I'm losing pretty well so I don't know if I'll go back to using it. I am going to take a look at my macros and see where I'm at compared to last time. My training is more intense than it was 4 years ago so that may factor into my protein requirement.

Now on to update my signature and stats!!
257/140.4/140
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
Original weight 2001--257
Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
Maintaining 150-155 August 2012 to January 2107
New goal January 2017--140
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:53 AM   #59
FitKat
Junior LCF Member

Wow! You are quite the dynamo, Kristn! I admire that you got your certification for personal satisfaction! I want to put more fitness in my days also. I used to do more but I have allowed my hectic work schedule to take over my life. I decided NO MORE EXCUSES.

I just wrapped up a 30-day challenge (more on the eating side than the activity side) and it was tough for me to stay fairly strict but I ended up really enjoying it and that's where the RESULT came in!! I will probably ease up for another few days or so then get back to it.

I don't use the meters or get technical about calculating things. It could be way too easy for me to become obsessed. I even hated to weigh once a week while we did our challenge because, well you know, scales!!

I eliminated some very negative people from my life and it has been AMAZING the difference I have experienced. I guess you don't know how much those things impact you until they aren't there any more.

Exciting things are happening around here!

Last edited by FitKat; 02-06-2017 at 10:55 AM..
Old 02-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #60
mom2zeke
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/140.4/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: August 6, 2001
That's awesome Fitkat! I think the key to long term success is to know what works for you and stick to it. What was your challenge?

I am able to maintain okay without tracking, but eventually my weight starts to move up and I notice that my clothes aren't fitting any more.

I have been eyeballing for the past four years, but from past experience I know that eyeballing is probably not going to get me down to 140 so I started logging again this week and looking at what I need to tweak. I really do hate it! But I would much rather track than fast--it's all so individual.

I also hate becoming fixated on the scale. But when my clothes started getting tight I also had to pull it out again and get real. As hard as it is, I do find that daily weighing actually helps me to maintain and lose.

Congrats on the pants!
257/140.4/140
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
Original weight 2001--257
Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
Maintaining 150-155 August 2012 to January 2107
New goal January 2017--140
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote