Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2017, 06:12 AM   #31
sloppail
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sloppail
WOE: JUDDD
Hi everyone!!

That's my issue...letting the weight creep up way too high before I do something about it. Instead of 10 pounds to lose, I have 20. But...I know this is the way to go, and time will pass anyway, so I will spend my time dieting EOD Better than every day When I get to maintenance this time, I wont let weight creep happen

Had a DD yesterday...doing great!

If it's going to be, it's up to me!
sloppail is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2017, 06:14 AM   #32
Happy&Healthy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Happy&Healthy
Stats: Too much/better/best
WOE: JUDDD/4:3/Fung
Start Date: November 2016
Good morning everyone! I just wanted to check in. I did well on my DD yesterday except for it was my first year wedding anniversary and I totally forgot that you have to do the cake thing. I did well in the morning and it looked like it was going to be an all day fast...until cake. I only had two bites but the sugar got to me, I ended up having to eat a few hours afterwards because I was not feeling well. I ended up keeping it under 400 cal, so happy about that.

I hope everyone has a great week ahead!

Last edited by Happy&Healthy; 01-03-2017 at 06:15 AM..
Happy&Healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:14 AM   #33
tashigolean730
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tashigolean730
Stats: 217.2/202.2/120
WOE: JUDDD May 19/2016, 16:8 11/01/2016
Start Date: May 19th, 2016
Happy New Year All!! I have not had the best few months fasting wise. Alternate days are just not working for me right now and I give up almost weekly and say I will try again the next week. I haven't really gained but I certainly have not lost. I think I am going to try set days for fasting instead of ADF/JUDDD. I will aim for three days a week (Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and maybe a mid day on every other Wednesday). I am just finding it too hard to date a foodie and maintain ADF. But we bowl Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday nights. So while I see him, we don't go out to dinner. So these days will be easier to maintain. Now on to my first goal this year of getting back under 200
tashigolean730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:23 AM   #34
phoenix17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: getting there slowly but surely
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
Back to work today!! I was realizing over my little break how easy it is for me to be too lazy on these breaks when I don't have anything planned. And funny enough, my dog made me realize how much I nibble - because any time I went in to the kitchen or sat down with anything to eat, he was over paying attention to me!! Huh. Its like he's a diet alarm. Yesterday was a bad day for nibbling and today I think I'm paying for it because my new clothes are a wee bit snug. I purposely wore them too as a reminder that I need a good DD!!

My sisters bday is in mid-Feb and I am trying to come up with something for us to do that will help her to feel good. Its a milestone bday (50) and she is feeling a little depressed lately. She has waffled between going on a fabulous trip and not doing anything at all - the not doing anything being based mostly on $$$. Her goal this year is to finally get out of credit card debt so she is being smart and deciding not to spend several thousand on a trip so I am trying to be supportive and not encourage the trip...Anyway- I am looking for suggestions for a suitable celebration for a milestone birthday that will not cost too much. I was thinking of maybe some sort of a make over for her -like finding a spa that will do hair and make up but IDK is that too corny or something? then we could go out for a nice meal while we are all dolled up. Suggestions welcome!!!
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:57 AM   #35
Babsbabs
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: 205/155/140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Babs! Lovely to see you again. Yes, you know the ropes and a few good DDs will have you losing and feeling great.

I find it sad that I never see Dr Johnson mentioned by Jason Fung, Michael Mosely et all. He was a great pioneer into this field as we all know. He alsays said that a total fast on DDs was ideal, but often undoable by many.
Thanks Cindy for the reassurance all will be good soon! I am down to one pair of pants that still fit so hope things get back to normal quickly.

I also agree with your feelings on Dr Johnson and the lack of credit his program has received especially with some of the new programs being his ideas almost exactly. I still think his is the best one too. I find the calorie calculator useful until my appetite normalizes and I also love that it is ok to have a few calories on DD to get used to the fast day. I remember when I first started JUDDD that I was afraid of not eating for a day! I think it took me almost a year before it just wasn't worth the trouble to consume my DD food as it seemed like a waste of time. I look forward to being back to that point again! I wish his plan did get some mention in the fasting circles as he really did lay out a very easy program when no one else was talking about this stuff anymore.

Great to see you are still happily maintaining Slowsure!

Agreed that it is good to keep an eye on that weight creep when in maintenance Slopail. I wish I would have gotten back on track a little earlier but I am glad I can just diet every second day and get rid of the flab too.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #36
Babsbabs
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: 205/155/140
I have done that too Phoenix17 and worn things that were a little too small to remind myself I needed to keep to my eating plan!
I like your ideas for your sisters birthday. We had a relative come and stay with us for 3 weeks this summer for his vacation and I was urprised at how it really felt like we had a vacation when he was here and I think it was because we went out for dinner and toured around like tourists in our own area. Maybe you can do the same for her birthday and have a mini vacation without the travel costs.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:11 AM   #37
Nanu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nanu
Stats: 195.8/193.6/149, 5'8", 61 years old
WOE: LC & JUDD
Start Date: 2/1/16
I am still trying to get into EOD fasting. Today I will try to get calories down below 500. I am definitely being successful with LC, and maybe just one thing at a time No wine is a big help! I plan to be very strict and "detox" from all the sugar and unhealthy things I have been eating. I gave my husband a "Blues Cruise" for Christmas, which will be a great time with all the music, our friends, and I am sure eating and drinking. I am hoping if I get detoxed in 5 weeks, I won't go crazy during this trip and undo any progress.
I am also working on upping my step count, with a goal of 10,000 daily.
You are all so inspirational, and I appreciate reading about your accomplishments/struggles/revelations. Thank you.
Nanu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:18 AM   #38
FrostyBeav
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 231/217/160
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 9/25/16
I'm back from my planned diet break. It ran a little longer than originally planned - 19 days. I stepped on the scale for the first time in almost three weeks this morning and found I was up 6 lbs from my last post-UD weight. I didn't think that was too bad considering the mountain of junk I've eaten over the last three weeks. I regret nothing!

I decided to stick with 4:3 for awhile as I liked the structure. However, if I stall again, it's back to EOD. Today is a DD and so far so good, though being back at work helps. What doesn't help is fighting off the flu my wife had over Christmas. I felt horrible yesterday but better today so I hope that was it. I also hope the fasting will help fight it off.

Had a lot of fun over the holidays with my boys home. Ate junk, played games, watched movies, did some projects around the house, shoveled snow. Wait - that last one wasn't/isn't fun. Got one boy back to college yesterday and the other leaves tomorrow, so the house will go back to feeling empty again. Still, I'm kind of looking forward to getting back into a normal routine.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #39
HockeyMum
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HockeyMum
Stats: 152/143.8/120. 5'3.5" Age 57
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: LC for years, JUDDD as of 2017
Hello all, I just got back in from grocery shopping, my DH and DD were both asking "What's with all the cottage cheese, cabbage, Laughing Cow cheese, etc....?" Lol. I have to go back through the recipe threads now and make a few of the ones that sounded so delicious when I was making my grocery list. There was a cabbage chicken cheese thing that sounded amazing. I loved my UD yesterday, stayed within my 1741 calories, have 348 to use today, about half way through. I was only up .2 this morning after eating what I thought was a lot of food yesterday and having a couple of glasses of wine, so that was a pleasant surprise! I think I am going to really enjoy this WOE, if I can just get my DD to work around weekends in hockey arenas.... Have a great day everyone.
HockeyMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #40
HockeyMum
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HockeyMum
Stats: 152/143.8/120. 5'3.5" Age 57
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: LC for years, JUDDD as of 2017
FrostyBeav, I hear you on the getting the kids back out of the house. I will miss them immensely but it will much easier for me to stay on track. My son was only home for 4 days from Michigan, and my daughter returns to Pittsburgh on Sunday after being off for 3 weeks.
HockeyMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #41
FrostyBeav
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMum View Post
FrostyBeav, I hear you on the getting the kids back out of the house. I will miss them immensely but it will much easier for me to stay on track. My son was only home for 4 days from Michigan, and my daughter returns to Pittsburgh on Sunday after being off for 3 weeks.
I was really bummed when they were both gone for the first time last year. However, it's amazing how fast you develop a new routine. And then when they come back for school vacations, your new routine is messed up AND things don't go back to "normal" because they are adults now and have gotten used to being on their own.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:46 AM   #42
phoenix17
Senior LCF Member

Nanu it sounds like you and I share a challenge when it comes to the wine!!! I wish I had some words of wisdom for you but I don't. For me personally I have unfortunately found that I need to avoid alcohol if I want to see any weight loss .

Frosty - Wow! great work on 19 days and only 6 lbs! I bet that comes off after just a couple of DDs.

HockeyMum funny you said that because I also went to the store today thinking of the cabbage/chicken/cheese dishes! I found a sort of slaw mix that was a combination of broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage in the convenient shredded form so I'm looking forward to using that. I also bought a few different flavors of tea- it is a real savior on days like today - my first DD after the holidays and I REALLY wanted to go to the cafeteria but instead I went to the store and bought all of the above. I must also confess to giving in and buying a box of WW snack cakes (90 cal each). I hope they taste awful! it was the only thing like that I allowed myself to buy. Oh and I found a new yogurt flavor that I might have to try tonight -Mango Sriracha!!! This is either going to be totally awesome or really gross...

I was reflecting on what worked for me in the past year - I hit that stall after 20 lbs down and bounced within the same 10 lbs for many months and the two times I saw the scale move down (and stay there) was when I did the potato hack and when I focused on those so called negative calorie foods. So I think I will continue to focus on those foods in my menu for both UD and DD. Hopefully January will be a successful month - I have only one social engagement I can't plan around at the end of the month .
Old 01-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #43
FrostyBeav
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix17 View Post
Frosty - Wow! great work on 19 days and only 6 lbs! I bet that comes off after just a couple of DDs.
That's what I'm hoping. Also, I'm hoping the break jump starts the weight loss like it's supposed to. We'll see.

I have been wanting to add in some exercise too, to see if it helps. So far, nature has helpfully been giving me something to do but I haven't figured out anything more formal yet. My shoulder is kind of a limiting factor.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:36 AM   #44
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vlo1125
Stats: 263/164/155
WOE: Primal w/ JUDDD
Start Date: 2013
Hi everyone thanks for all the dress compliments to all the newcomers and returning buds we can do this guys , just keep posting in here for support , it really makes a difference

Man has it been a struggle getting back on track! That's the thing, yes xmas and NYE are only 1 day each but because we end up having several friends and family engagements beyond just those 2 days it can turn into a week or 2 of totally going over board. I tried to do a dd Monday and fasted till 4 but then let my DH lure me into eating makes no sense since more than half the day was done , but he still was off from work so I felt like my routine was thrown off. Anywho the day I went out last week for the cheese shell tacos my friend and I spent the whole time talking about keto and she convinced me to give it a go again. As most of you know I'm LC but it's more in the 50-80 gram range. I'm going to try 20 net carbs for this month for ud's and see how it goes. Yesterday was my first keto day and I did not count calories but I did count carbs, it was nice not trying to stay within a calorie limit for sure. This morning I was down 1 lb, which after an ud where i ate as much as I wanted is amazing! I'm going to continue to do no food dd's because that's been life saving for me. I'm hoping with this strategy to drop into the 150's this month , but I'm still up 7 lbs right now so that means that's at least 9 lbs away. I , like frosty am hoping this time off acts as a reset and the weight comes off and takes some friends with it but we shall see! Today is going to be my first true dd since before xmas wish me luck!

Last edited by Vlo1125; 01-04-2017 at 06:41 AM..
Vlo1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:29 AM   #45
p0rtia
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: p0rtia
Stats: 5'7" 307/183/150-160
WOE: ex-Atkins; low cal + 4:3 JUDDD
Start Date: May 22, 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlo1125 View Post
my friend and I spent the whole time talking about keto and she convinced me to give it a go again. As most of you know I'm LC but it's more in the 50-80 gram range. I'm going to try 20 net carbs for this month for ud's and see how it goes. Yesterday was my first keto day and I did not count calories but I did count carbs, it was nice not trying to stay within a calorie limit for sure. This morning I was down 1 lb, which after an ud where i ate as much as I wanted is amazing! I'm going to continue to do no food dd's because that's been life saving for me. I'm hoping with this strategy to drop into the 150's this month , but I'm still up 7 lbs right now so that means that's at least 9 lbs away. I , like frosty am hoping this time off acts as a reset and the weight comes off and takes some friends with it but we shall see! Today is going to be my first true dd since before xmas wish me luck!
Hi Vlo! I'm also back at it after a Time of Perpetual Festivals (tm TPF) and like you doing VLC <20 carbs on UDs. It must be something in the air. I'm also trying to water fast on DDs, but only if I don't feel icky.

Your comment about not counting calories on VLC UDs resonated with me. Despite doing Atkins for years in a previous life (and I know I did not count calories). I'm not actually clear on this issue. So I'll be interested to hear updates on how it goes for you.

I had to work to get up to 1600 cals on my UD yesterday (the coconut chocolate goo at 9 PM did the trick ). I was not at all hungry all day, and I was into my work, so I had to keep reminding myself that I had to get my calories in. Or did I? If one is doing < 20 carbs a day, UD and DD, what role do calories play in JUDDD?

My plan as of today is to keep an eye on my energy. My experience is that if I have tons of energy, I'm maximizing my weight loss. If I get tired, I should think about changing up. Yesno?

Right now I have tons of energy. I haven't been on the scale lately, because I suspect I've been putting on muscle mass, and why rock the boat when everything is going well? Maybe Saturday. My clothes (that would be the size 16s) have started to get loose again, I've discovered another batch of bones sticking out, and I feel like I'm walking on air (because I feel so light).

I want to see the 170s this month. I'm in the mood, the TPF is over, I think my metabolism is ticking over double time, so the question is, how many calories on an UD if I'm water fasting on DDs and doing VLC on UDs? I have no clue.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:09 AM   #46
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Portia- twinsies! yes it will be good to compare results since we are doing the same thing! I know that folks who do keto or VLC claim that calories do not matter if carbs are kept in check and I really want to test this theory out. I was entering my food into my calorie tracker yesterday but just to keep track of the carb count. Coincidentally I ate 2145 calories, my usual ud goal is to stay under 2100, so I naturally only ate 45 calories more than I should. However I just noticed that due to entering a recipe wrong my carbs were higher than 20, I had 28 carbs yesterday so I'm going to have to be more careful tomorrow. Still I consider it a success! I'll continue to enter my foods out of curiosity and let you know how it goes!
Old 01-04-2017, 08:12 AM   #47
Nanu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nanu
Stats: 195.8/193.6/149, 5'8", 61 years old
WOE: LC & JUDD
Start Date: 2/1/16
Good morning everyone. I think many of us are thinking the same strategy...LC, especially those of us who have history and success with LC. I am pleased to see the scale tick down a little, and it has been easy sticking to LC. I also know staying away from wine is helping I am going to try a DD today to see if I can successfully incorporate JUDD with LC. I really would like to have the health benefits of JUDD, and I know that when you get closer to goal it is more difficult to stick to very LC WOE.
It is very stormy here in Sacramento, and coming back to work after a nice break makes it difficult to get out of PJ's. It is very busy (I work in Student Services at a community college) preparing students for Spring semester, so once I get in from the wind and rain, it is ok to just look at the weather out the window. The only problem is trying to get my step count up, I only had 5100 yesterday, and that was just running around the building doing what needed to be done....no conscious and deliberate walk. We'll see, it is supposed to be dry for a couple of days...so, no excuses!
Have a great day everyone.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:17 AM   #48
phoenix17
Senior LCF Member

Portia- I don't think you have to count calories make sure you eat all your calories on an UD. The sticky "Dr. J answered my questions!" has some discussion on this but this is from the OP on that thread:
"Nickicaps:
Hi there- it seems that there is a lot of confusion surrounding UD calories- do I have to count them or not? In the FAQ it appears that I don't, but I hear from a lot of JUDDDER's that it is essential- if you go above the calculator you will gain weight and if you go below the calculator your metabolism will slow down. Please advise! Thanks :-)

Dear Nicole,

Most people find when they start the JUDDDD that they continue to eat normally on the UD. That is, they consume the same number of calories they are used to eating because their appetite doesn't increase. However, after around 8-12 weeks there is an adaptation by your hunger mechanism to eat more on the UD.

At that point it is necessary to limit your calories on the UD to whatever your normal daily intake was at the start,

It is absolutely essential when you reach this point to start using a food log recording the number of calories you eat and at what time of day. It is essential to fill it out at the times you eat---do not wait until night time. This self-monitoring is by far the most effective way to be aware of your intake and prevent going over your number.

It is true that if you go over you will not lose weight and if you go under your metabolism will slow because your body is trying to preserve energy.

It is the alternating pattern which prevents the slowing of your metabolism.

Cordially,

James B . Johnson, M.D."

My interpretation of this is you only have to make sure you eat enough if you are still struggling with DDs so you don't go in to it so hungry you want to chew your arm off, you know? And that you need to eat enough to alternate the pattern. Also to make sure you are getting proper nutrition. I think someone else on another thread had asked about keeping UDs to something very low and my answer to that is that is not JUDDDing, that is only eating a VLC diet. Just IMHO of course.

I did step on the scale today after a partially successful DD (went a little higher on the calories than I wanted but it was still a DD) and I am still holding steady at the weight I was last week. So a couple of pounds over my December average, 3-4 lbs over my December low. I'm still happy with that considering that I really just ate what I wanted for nearly 2 weeks (with I think 2 DD/MDs in there). But I have renewed vigor as everyone else does for the month of January. I am actually going to lower my UD calories during the week but will still let my weekends be "normal" so funny you should have asked that question Portia as I had already been thinking about it!!

I was reading an article on the web (they declared a new human organ! How interesting - they didn't "discover" it, they just reclassified) and came across a link to a hiking trip in Provence France (Sponsored by National Geographic Expeditions). OH so tempting. It is a little bit stupid expensive but involves 9 days of hiking through vineyards and gorgeous little towns in the South of France. I may have to do this. After all, what am I saving my money for right? Just thinking about being there makes me smile. It is only up to 6 miles of walking each day but oh imagine the scenery. Sigh. I may have found my 2017 trip!! too bad it does not fall over my 7 days of bday celebration but I suppose I can shift it around, right?
Old 01-04-2017, 08:50 AM   #49
FrostyBeav
Major LCF Poster!

My first DD didn't go as planned. I fasted all day and was fine until about an hour before bed. Then I got really dizzy. I mean like "not safe to walk down the stairs" dizzy. I decided to eat some leftovers to see if it helped (it did) but then, as happens frequently on DDs where I eat something, I ended up eating more than a little dinner (there are still goodies from Christmas to finish off), so it turned more into a MD. I was still down 1.6 lbs this morning but I imagine it will all be back after today's UD.

I haven't had that happen before so I think it is related to the bug I'm fighting. It also doesn't help that it's so freakin' cold here right now (-10° F this morning). Cold temps plus DD freezes don't mix well.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:48 AM   #50
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Frosty- your first dd back went just like mine! I'm also fighting some type of bug( my throat hurts) so it could be that or it could be that it's just hard to jump back into a dd after taking all those days off! I have full confidence your next one will go as planned!

Phoenix- omg thAt vineyard hiking trip sounds like a dream! I say go for it , YOLO as for calories I do think they matter and that's part of the reason juddd works , by overall lowering the calorie intake over the week. But I wonder if eating VLC will help curb my appetite and cravings on UD so I'll naturally eat the right amount of calories? I'm going to pay very close attention and I hope the results are favorable! I hope you get the results you are looking for by eating less during the week so you can still enjoy your weekends!

Nanu- I think juddd and LC are natural allies as dd's are naturally LC and extending that to ud's helps with appetite control! Best of luck to you, I'll be looking forward to watching your progress!

Going to try to meal plan ahead and enter all of food in the tracker for tomorrow so I don't accidentally go over my 20 net again! Helps to be prepared! I made a sesame "honey" chicken in my pressure cooker yesterday, but in place of honey I used stevia. It came out great and was LC, I served it over riced cauliflower think I'm going to make the LC peanut butter cookies again tomorrow as they have 1.4 net carbs each and I also need to make fat bombs. I think fat bombs are pretty essential to keto, helps get good fats in and also most are sweet so it feels like you are eating candy that's good for you!
Old 01-04-2017, 10:23 AM   #51
phoenix17
Senior LCF Member

Frosty sorry you are frosty (couldn't resist!)

Vlo is that honey chicken from Nom Nom Paleo? yummy sounds so good.
I do agree that calories matter, I really meant I don't know if it matters if you eat all of your UD calories if you are not feeling hungry. I don't think that if your upper limit is 2000 and you only eat 1600 that you are going to derail anything. so I think less (to some extent - not TOO low or you are just doing a very low calorie diet) is ok but more is not. I am going to lower my UD calories during the week but mostly for me it is to regain control. I have a bad habit of not counting on UD (and weekends) and I wonder if that has been my ultimate downfall. I thought it was the wine but I have drastically reduced my consumption and still bouncing in the same 10 lbs so somethings gotta give right? I'm also trying to stick to low carb more - I have been what I am thinking of as moderate carb but admittedly I have not been counting those either and there have been plenty of times I am SURE I am by no means moderate...

anyhoo I'm thinking if I am deciding to lower my UD calories for 2 days a week then perhaps I will actually pay attention!

as for my vineyard hiking- you do go as part of a group but I have to decide if I am willing to go on such a vacation solo again. I'm getting a little sick of solo vacations however the people that can go with me can't afford to and the people that can afford to don't want (or can't) go. Sigh.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:30 AM   #52
imoksoami
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imoksoami
Stats: 264/225/209
WOE: LC, OMAD, JUDDD
Start Date: 10-15-2016
"so the question is, how many calories on an UD if I'm water fasting on DDs and doing VLC on UDs?"

Great question, Portia. I missed early on that a lot of folks doing JUDDD are not also doing LC. I would love to see some good result comparisons of those doing LC/JUDDD and those just doing JUDDD. Not just weight loss but if one is easier than the other on DD's.

10-15-2016 264 / 11-01-2016 249 / 11-15-2016 248 / 12-01-2016 240 / 1-1-2017 239 / 2-1-2017 232 / 3-1-2017 224

6-10-2017 210 < Goal

Last edited by imoksoami; 01-04-2017 at 11:36 AM..
imoksoami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #53
taramisu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taramisu
Stats: 282/194/180
Start Date: April 7, 2015
Juliana, Happy&Healthy, Nanu, Rosey, HockeyMum, Babsbabs--okay, who did I miss? Having a hard time telling who all is new, who is newly returned, and whose names I don't recognize but don't seem to be new either. My apologies, but I'm very happy to see lots of new-to-me faces and old friends as well. Hope you're all having a good start to 2017.

I love New Years. Maybe it's a cliche, but I always have a great re-start in January. There's just a feeling in the air of newness. To quote my beloved Anne of Green Gables, tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. And that's how I'm feeling about 2017.

After a very successful 2015, I started 2016 at 238 and made it to 197 by October. Since then I've floundered and gained about 10 pounds (maybe a little more post-holiday!). It's okay. I've forgiven myself. Weight loss and maintenance are hard. Nonetheless, I'm still down about 30 pounds since last year, and that's something to celebrate. I am ready for 2017! My goal is to reach 180 at minimum, but aim for 170. In a perfect world, I'd reach this by June when I go to Disney World. I'll stay positive, but I'm not sure if that's really possible for me. Still, if I run run run my little legs off and stick to my rotations, anything's possible, right?

And of course, the big goal this year will be 100 pounds lost.

Happy&Healthy, a belated happy anniversary! I had my first wedding anniversary last month as well and guess what? Our frozen cake was TERRIBLE! Hope yours was better.
tara ¤

My Journal

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times—if one only remembers to turn on the light. ~ Albus Dumbledore

Last edited by taramisu; 01-04-2017 at 12:15 PM..
taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #54
p0rtia
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoksoami View Post
"so the question is, how many calories on an UD if I'm water fasting on DDs and doing VLC on UDs?"

Great question, Portia. I missed early on that a lot of folks doing JUDDD are not also doing LC. I would love to see some good result comparisons of those doing LC/JUDDD and those just doing JUDDD. Not just weight loss but if one is easier than the other on DD's.
I guess my question boils down to: If I'm having <20 carbs a day, am I not just putting myself in ketosis?

The point of JUDDD is to get the benefits of fasting while avoiding metabolic slowdown. So am I slowing down my metabolism by being in ketosis?

Carly and others have pointed out that one needs to consume all of one's UD calories (to create that gap between UD and DD calorie counts) or one is not actually doing JUDDD (just doing low cal).

So what is the difference, metabolically, between keto/VLC JUDDD, and SAD JUDDD?
Old 01-04-2017, 03:29 PM   #55
Happy&Healthy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Happy&Healthy
Stats: Too much/better/best
WOE: JUDDD/4:3/Fung
Start Date: November 2016
Taramisu - thanks and congratulations to you, too! Our cake actually was delicious! They did a really nice job of wrapping it up after the wedding, apparently. We're having a couple friends over this weekend to celebrate the one year down, so we are both going to have a slice then, hope it holds up. So excited to see you reach your 100 pound goal! You'll be there before you know it :-)

Frosty - it's been hard for me to get into the swing of things after the holidays, also. I haven't cheated but have been hungrier than I am ordinarily. I'm having to give willpower a workout!

Vlo - that chicken sounds heavenly...especially since I'm on a DD...

Nanu - you're doing fantastically well with the steps, 5100 is still good considering the weather!

Phoenix17 - I completely agree with your thoughts on counting on UDs, The beauty of this way of eating is that one can be "normal" every other day. That makes it a great plan for the long term. Dr. J makes a lot of sense also with the concept that the body will adjust given time and that knowing how many calories are "normal" and sticking to the "normal" is important to keep seeing losses and avoid gain. I'm not necessarily counting calories religiously on UDs but I am paying attention to what my "normal" looks like so that I can gauge whether I'm over eating or not.

P0rtia - Great question, since I'm new I don't have the fund of knowledge to answer your question but I will be paying attention to answers!

DD it's going pretty well today, I had a salad at lunch and I am hoping to coast until tomorrow lunch.
Happy&Healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:01 PM   #56
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/100-108
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
You do need to eat enough on an UD to be comfortable on your DDs. There are so many variables that I don't think there is a definitive, One Size Fits All answer.

Even something that works for you at one time in your life won't necessarily work at another time (e.g., change of circumstances, health, hormonal milestones etc.).

A number of fasting plans emphasise mediterranean-style foods.

You do need to be prepared to experiment and observe what works for you. I remember seeing a woman describe her attempts at Fung-style fasts but they didn't work for her as she is post-menopausal and in combination with various other conditions, the fasting exerted a substantial physical stress that was counterproductive for her. Obviously, some people only have positive experiences.

I regularly audit what I eat to make sure that I don't have carb creep or an unnoticed increase in portion size. That said, I don't need to track or calorie count explicitly because I'm already familiar with pretty much everything that I eat.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:49 AM   #57
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/125.4/125 5'2" 40yrs Size 20/4P
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0rtia View Post
I guess my question boils down to: If I'm having <20 carbs a day, am I not just putting myself in ketosis?

The point of JUDDD is to get the benefits of fasting while avoiding metabolic slowdown. So am I slowing down my metabolism by being in ketosis?

Carly and others have pointed out that one needs to consume all of one's UD calories (to create that gap between UD and DD calorie counts) or one is not actually doing JUDDD (just doing low cal).

So what is the difference, metabolically, between keto/VLC JUDDD, and SAD JUDDD?
I don't think I can answer what the difference metabolically is. I personally believe that low carb works because essentially people are eating less calories, by cutting out an entire food group. I think of LC almost like an eating window. Most people will eat less if they only eat during a 5 hour window. Most people will eat less if they only eat protein and fat. But, as we know, some people can eat 3000 calories worth of bacon, eggs, fat bombs, avacado, etc... and some people can routinely eat 3000 calories in a 5 hour window.

I think we lose weight when we consume less calories than our bodies burn over a given week and month. Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
You do need to eat enough on an UD to be comfortable on your DDs. There are so many variables that I don't think there is a definitive, One Size Fits All answer.

Even something that works for you at one time in your life won't necessarily work at another time (e.g., change of circumstances, health, hormonal milestones etc.).

A number of fasting plans emphasise mediterranean-style foods.

You do need to be prepared to experiment and observe what works for you. I remember seeing a woman describe her attempts at Fung-style fasts but they didn't work for her as she is post-menopausal and in combination with various other conditions, the fasting exerted a substantial physical stress that was counterproductive for her. Obviously, some people only have positive experiences.

I regularly audit what I eat to make sure that I don't have carb creep or an unnoticed increase in portion size. That said, I don't need to track or calorie count explicitly because I'm already familiar with pretty much everything that I eat.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:29 AM   #58
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Article from authority nutrition regarding Low carbs diets

Quote:
Low carb diets work.

That is pretty much a scientific fact at this point.

At least 23 high quality studies in humans have shown this to be true.

In many cases, a low-carb diet causes 2-3 times more weight loss as the standard low-fat diet that we’re still being told to follow (1, 2).

Low-carb diets also appear to have an outstanding safety profile. No serious side effects have been reported.

In fact, the studies show that these diets cause major improvements in many important risk factors (3).

Triglycerides go way down and HDL goes way up. Blood pressure and blood sugar levels also tend to decrease significantly (4, 5, 6, 7).

A high percentage of the fat lost on a low carb diet comes from the belly area and the liver. This is the dangerous visceral fat that builds up in and around the organs, driving inflammation and disease (8, 9, 10).

These diets are particularly effective for people with metabolic syndrome and/or type 2 diabetes. The evidence is overwhelming.

However, there is a lot of controversy about why these diets work.

People like to debate the mechanism, the stuff that is actually going on in our organs and cells that makes the weight go off.

Unfortunately, this is not fully known, and chances are that it is multifactorial – as in, there are many different reasons why these diets are so effective (11).

In this article, I take look at some of the most convincing explanations for the effectiveness of low carb diets.

Carb Restriction Lowers Insulin Levels

Insulin is a very important hormone in the body.

It is the main hormone that regulates blood sugar levels and energy storage.

One of the functions of insulin is to tell fat cells to produce and store fat, and to hold on to the fat that they already carry.

It also tells other cells in the body to pick up glucose (blood sugar) from the bloodstream, and burn that instead of fat.

So, insulin stimulates lipogenesis (production of fat) and inhibits lipolysis (the burning of fat).

It is actually well established that low-carb diets lead to drastic and almost immediate reductions in insulin levels (12, 13).

According to many experts on low-carb diets, including Gary Taubes and the late Dr. Atkins, lower insulin levels are the main reason for the effectiveness of low-carb diets.

They have claimed that, when carbs are restricted and insulin levels go down, the fat isn’t “locked” away in the fat cells anymore and becomes accessible for the body to use as energy, leading to reduced need for eating.

However, I’d like to point out that many respected obesity researchers do not believe this to be true, and do not think the carbohydrate-insulin hypothesis of obesity is supported by the evidence.

Bottom Line: Blood levels of the hormone insulin go way down when carb intake is reduced. High insulin levels contribute to fat storage, and low insulin levels facilitate fat burning.
Water Weight Drops Rapidly in The Beginning

In the first 1-2 weeks of low carb eating, people tend to lose weight very quickly.

The main reason for this is reduction in water weight.

The mechanism behind it is two-fold:

Insulin: When insulin goes down, the kidneys start shedding excess sodium from the body. This also lowers blood pressure (15).
Glycogen: The body stores carbs in the form of glycogen, which binds water in the muscles and liver. When carb intake goes down, glycogen levels in the body go down, and the water follows along.
This does not happen to nearly the same extent on a higher carb diet, even if calories are reduced significantly.

Even though some people use this as an argument against low-carb diets, reduced water weight should be considered an advantage.

I mean, who wants to carry around excess bloat and water weight all the time?

Anyway, despite claims to the contrary, this is far from being the main weight loss advantage of low-carb diets.

The studies clearly show that low-carb diets lead to more fat being lost as well, especially the “dangerous” belly fat found in the abdominal cavity (8, 16).

So, part of the weight loss advantage of low-carb diets is explained by reductions in water weight, but there is still a major fat loss advantage as well.

Bottom Line: When people go low-carb, they lose significant amounts of excess water from their bodies. This explains the rapid weight loss seen in the first week or two.
Low Carb Diets Are High in Protein

In most studies where low carb and low fat diets are compared, the low carb groups end up eating much more protein.

This is because people replace many low-protein foods (grains, sugars) with higher protein foods like meat, fish and eggs.

Numerous studies show that protein can reduce appetite, boost metabolism, and help increase muscle mass, which is metabolically active and burns calories around the clock (17, 18, 19, 20).

Many nutrition experts believe that the high protein content of low-carb diets is the main reason for their effectiveness.

Bottom Line: Low carb diets tend to be much higher in protein than low fat diets. Protein can reduce appetite, boost metabolism and help people hold on to muscle mass despite restricting calories.
Low Carb Diets Have a Metabolic Advantage

Although this is controversial, many experts do believe that low carb diets have a metabolic advantage.

In other words, that low carb diets increase your energy expenditure, and that people lose more weight than can be explained by reduced calorie intake alone.

There are actually some studies to support this.

A study conducted in 2012 found that a very low carb diet increased energy expenditure compared to a low fat diet, during a period of weight maintenance (21).

The increase was around 250 calories, which is equivalent to an hour of moderate-intensity exercise per day!

However, another study has suggested that it may be the high protein (but not low carb) part of the diet that causes the increase in calories burned (22).

That being said, there are other mechanisms that may cause an additional metabolic advantage.

On a very low carb, ketogenic diet, when carb intake is kept extremely low, a lot of protein is being transformed into glucose in the beginning, a process called gluconeogenesis (23).

This is an inefficient process, and can lead to hundreds of calories being “wasted.” However, this is mostly temporary as ketones should start replacing some of that glucose as brain fuel within a few days (24).

Bottom Line: Low-carb diets appear to have a metabolic advantage, but most of it is caused by the increased protein intake. In the beginning of a very low carb, ketogenic diet, some calories are wasted when glucose is produced.
Low Carb Diets Are Less Varied, and Lower in “Food Reward”

Low carb diets automatically exclude some of the world’s most fattening junk foods.

Woman Holding Chocolate and Apple

This includes sugar, sugary drinks, fruit juices, pizzas, white bread, french fries, pastries and most unhealthy snacks.

There is also an obvious reduction in variety when you eliminate most high-carb foods, especially given that wheat, corn and sugar are in almost all processed foods.

It is well known that increased food variety can drive increased calorie intake (25).

Many of these foods are also highly rewarding, and the reward value of foods can impact how many calories we end up eating (26).

So, reduced food variety and reduced intake of highly rewarding junk foods should both contribute to a reduced calorie intake.

Bottom Line: Low carb diets exclude many foods that are highly rewarding and extremely fattening. These diets also have less food variety, which may lead to reduced calorie intake.
Low Carb Diets Significantly Lower Your Appetite, Leading to Automatic Reduction in Calorie Intake

Probably the single biggest explanation for the weight loss effects of low carb diets, is their powerful effects on appetite.

It is well established that when people go low carb, their appetite goes down and they start eating fewer calories automatically (27).

In fact, studies that compare low carb and low fat diets usually restrict calories in the low-fat groups, while the low-carb groups are allowed to eat until fullness (28).

Despite that, the low carb groups still usually lose more weight.

There are many possible explanations for this appetite reducing effect, some of which we have already covered.

The increased protein intake is a major factor, but there is also evidence that ketosis can have a powerful effect (29).

Many people who go on a ketogenic diet feel that they only need to eat 1 or 2 meals per day. They simply don’t get hungry more often.

There is also some evidence that low carb diets can have beneficial effects on appetite regulating hormones like leptin and ghrelin (30).

Bottom Line: Low carb diets lead to an automatic reduction in calorie intake, so that people eat fewer calories without having to think about it.
The Long Term Effects on Weight Loss Are Not Very Impressive

Even though low carb diets are very effective in the short-term, the long-term results are not that great.

Most studies that last for 1-2 years show that the difference between the low-carb and low-fat groups mostly disappears.

There are many possible explanations for this, but the most plausible one is that people tend to abandon the diet over time, and start gaining the weight back.

This is not specific to low carb diets, and is a well known problem in most long-term weight loss studies. Most “diets” are incredibly hard to stick to.

Take Home Message

Some people refuse to accept that low carb diets can work, and that people can eat as much as they want, because that must violate the calories in, calories out model.

However, when you understand the mechanisms behind low carb diets, you can see that the CICO model is not being violated, and the laws of thermodynamics still hold.

The truth is, low carb diets work on both sides of the calorie equation.

They boost your metabolism (increasing calories out) and lower your appetite (reducing calories in), leading to automatic calorie restriction.

Calories still count, it’s just that low carb diets automate the process and help prevent the biggest side effect of conscious calorie restriction, which is hunger.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:59 AM   #59
p0rtia
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Vlo! Good stuff.

Gotta respectfully disagree with ya on LC weight loss being strictly the result of reduced cals, Carly. IMOE it is true that going LC eases hunger, and therefore, one is satisfied with and thus eats less. But it is also true that in my many years doing Atkins, I ate sky-high levels of calories (which I never restricted) on VLC and lost weight hand over fist. IMOE, the effects of ketosis are very real. I completely respect the fact that LC doesn't work for you--indeed, reading your experiences has been a revelation to me, because it illustrates how many different roads there are to weight management, and gives hope to everyone who has hit the diet wall.

Edited to add: For the record, I stopped doing Atkins/ VLC because I couldn't stand it any more after about three years. I craved normalcy. Hence my current belief that I need sustainability in a weight-management program. These days I use VLC as a short-term weight-loss strategy, because it works so well for me. And in short spurts of a few weeks or a month, it feels like an eating holiday. Which reminds me that I'm going to try out a recipe for VLC chocolate fudge!

Last edited by p0rtia; 01-05-2017 at 06:02 AM.. Reason: Had another thought LOL
p0rtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:52 AM   #60
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Carly- i agree that eliminating food groups is a partial reason LC works for sure. But it seems there are many other factors at play as well. I also agree that if you eat 3000 calories high or low carb you aren't going to get anywhere!

Portia-it's funny how that works! LC is good to you weightloss wise but wasn't sustainable so it's not something you want to do long term. My good friend was doing great on keto and I was surprised to see her macros on her tracker the other day was 40% calories from carbs, she going back to low fat because she felt so restricted on LC. At the end of the day anything works it's just what you can stick to. Though I do think some things work faster or better than others but you questioned if keto would slow your metabolism, and I think everything I've read points to the opposite. As for calories it just going to have to be something you play with and see. I was aiming for 2100 cause that's my dd added with my ud cals so 1050 cals per day, which I feel is already low enough! But if you are satisfied on 1600 then I'd say that you should be fine. Although like I said watching carbs primarily right now so I'll keep you updated on how that goes! I think 20 net carbs is going to keep me in the 2100 calories anyways, entered all my food I'm going to eat in the tracker for today and I'm at 19 net carbs and 2113 calories. So unless I feel like eating straight fat later it'll probably stay that way

Slow- very true what works at one point may not work at another! This is why I advocate switching things up to see if makes a difference!

Happy&healthy- glad your day went well yesterday!

Phoenix- the recipe is from pressure cooking today website I think starting to track will be very helpful for you! I know when I don't I "think" I had a good day and when I look back I'm always surprised with how much more I ate than I thought I did

Tara- great way to look at it! You did have an awesome 2016 and you still kept most of your progress, I have no doubts you will make your goal happen this year!