Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
Fung-Style Fasting Chat ~ January 2017

Welcome everyone - experienced fasters, newbies, and those who are curious - to the January Chat thread for Fasting, Dr. Jason Fung Style.

I thought I'd start us off with a few good quotes from The Good Doctor...

“Once we understand that obesity is a hormonal imbalance, we can begin to treat it. If we believe that excess calories cause obesity, then the treatment is to reduce calories. But this method has been a complete failure. However, if too much insulin causes obesity, then it becomes clear we need to lower insulin levels.”
― Jason Fung, The Obesity Code: unlocking the secrets of weight loss

“The basics of good nutrition can be summarized in these simple rules. Eat whole, unprocessed foods. Avoid sugar. Avoid refined grains. Eat a diet high in natural fats. Balance feeding with fasting. !”
― Jason Fung, The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended

“Fasting, by taking a completely different approach, is much easier to understand. It is so simple that it can be explained in two sentences: Eat nothing. Drink water, tea, coffee, or bone broth. That’s it.”
― Jason Fung, The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended

“(Fasting) Lowers blood sugar levels Improves insulin sensitivity Increases energy Improves fat-burning Lowers blood cholesterol Prevents Alzheimer’s disease Extends life Reverses aging process Decreases inflammation”

“Even the National Cholesterol Education Program admits, “The percentage of total fat in the diet, independent of caloric intake, has not been documented to be related to body weight.”
― Jason Fung, The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss

“Some of the more common myths include: Fasting puts you in “starvation mode” Fasting makes you burn muscle Fasting causes low blood sugar Fasting results in overeating Fasting deprives the body of nutrients “It’s just crazy”

Time after time You’re my refuge; You heal every scar, You’re guarding my heart.
Your promise, the hope that I cling to; My rescue, my friend, You come rushing in.
You surround me on every side; Your love is my armor, I fear no evil.
Darkness runs from Your light So I won’t be afraid.
You’re going before me and oceans are parting; You’re fighting my battles
When my feet are failing and my heart is shaking You’re fighting my battles.
~ The Afters - Battles
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #2
DiamondDeb

2017??? How did that happen?!??

I decided that I need to start the month by using up the food in my freezer. So I'm cooking a turkey today & will eat up a few other things before starting my first fast of the year.

Since I don't like to take a lunch to work I'll either be eating breakfast & dinner or just dinner on work days I'll be naturally doing shorter fasts anyway.

Happy New Year to Everyone!

Time after time You’re my refuge; You heal every scar, You’re guarding my heart.
Your promise, the hope that I cling to; My rescue, my friend, You come rushing in.
~ The Afters - Battles
Old 01-01-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
ClicketWench
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ClicketWench
Stats: 283/197.2/158
WOE: LCHF, IF
Start Date: July 23, 2016
Happy New Year! I'm starting today with a fast, and may or may not extend it past tomorrow. I am feeling extremely discouraged by an 8 lb gain since Christmas Eve. I really TRULY didn't eat many carb rich foods. It's going to feel good to have an empty belly for a couple of days before I get back to my normal very low carb, high fat diet.

Thanks for posting all the quotes! I need to go watch some videos...

Here's my journal: ClicketWench Unbound , if you want to stop by!
ClicketWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #4
DrunkenSailor
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DrunkenSailor
I love the Fung quotes!! Great thread!

I especially like this reminder: “The basics of good nutrition can be summarized in these simple rules. Eat whole, unprocessed foods. Avoid sugar. Avoid refined grains. Eat a diet high in natural fats. Balance feeding with fasting.”

I'm aiming for no alcohol and no sugar in January. I'm just so sick of the junk. I wish I could get it all out of the house, but I'm not the only one who lives here, so I'll settle for keeping all the junk out of sight.
DrunkenSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #5
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Fasting and LCHF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
Thanks, Deb, for starting the new thread. A new month, a new year, a new beginning!

I love the quotes. Dr Fung is so "on point" and able to sum up this WOE so its so easily understandable. Just love him!

We just got back from being gone most of November and December. I didn't stick to anything except low carb (most of the time) and didn't overeat. I don't like how I feel when I eat too much anymore, so I'll give the credit to that for getting used to fasting.

I am trying right now to ease into a 3 day water fast. Today and tomorrow I will have BPC and one HB egg in the morning and on HB egg before I go to bed.

Tues Weds and Thurs just water and bone brothe and green tea if I need it.

After eating out of my routine for two months, I am eager to begin again and get this last 50 lbs off in 2017. Blood sugar and blood pressure are much improved but I want to improve even more. So important as we get older.

I wish all of you fellow Fung fasters the Happiest New Year and best year to come. We can do this!

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:06 AM   #6
sweetlady2k
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetlady2k
Stats: 194/177.9/150 5ft 10
WOE: atkins and JUDDD now HCG
Start Date: June 28, 2012 R1 HCG 11/5/12 goal 150 2/13
Hi! The past 2 days I have done fasting until dinner. I will do that one more day and then start longer fast. I had to work my way up to it but I could have easily skipped dinner last night.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:25 AM   #7
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Hi sweetlady, I think that working our way up to longer fasts is a good way to go. Seems to help a lot of us.

I did great yesterday. I did have a little bone broth in the evening, but not the second HB egg. Not feeling hungry this morning, when I do I will have BPC and an egg. After that maybe I will begin my three day fast today. It will be a first for me!

I need to go to the grocery and get some chickens. I am going to make a big batch of broth today.

And laugh a lot!

Last edited by JayLynn; 01-02-2017 at 06:28 AM..
Old 01-02-2017, 06:29 AM   #8
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Even Mark Twain knew the value of fasting:

“A little starvation can really do more for the average sick man than can the best medicines and the best doctors. —Mark Twain”

And laugh a lot!
Old 01-02-2017, 08:06 AM   #9
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srinath_69
Stats: 238/149/138
WOE: Fibonnaci fasting, BPT atkins 20
Start Date: Jun 1, July 25, Aug 15, sept 15, Oct 12
Of late I am finding the water fasts brutal, barely make it 2 days on water alone. Especially if I have to do physical work outside, like yesterday I had to haul a heavy riding lawn mower out of a ditch that my friend opted to "park" it in and onto my pick up truck.
I can make a lot longer with the help of various fats, BPC, Splenda sweetened coffee/tea, and other fats and acid and salt (mayo, mustard, pepper). I am shooting for 13 days. Till my blood tests on the 13th.

But I am @ likely 15% or so Body fat and @ ~150 lbs for a 5' 10.5 male of just about the upper end of small/low end of medium frame, 150 is rather underweight by many measures. Or atleast its within a few lbs of being underweight. I certainly freeze often enough to feel under weight.

Thanks.
Srinath.
srinath_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:56 AM   #10
beachguy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 282/234/220
WOE: Fasting/Limited Saturated Fat
Start Date: Restarted May, 2016
Lately I have found that if I eat breakfast and lunch, it is easy to skip dinner. Before I always tried to skip breakfast and eat lunch and dinner and that rarely worked.

Fat is Cool
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:03 AM   #11
DiamondDeb

I think I should quit work because it doesn't fit with my preferred fasting schedule. lol

~ The Afters - Battles
Old 01-03-2017, 07:27 AM   #12
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Happy New Year all!

I spent a few days with my parents over the holidays and used IF to try to keep the weight gain at a minimum (my record is 8 lbs in 4 days ). This year I kept it to 2 lbs, that came back off the next day. Whew.

I listened to Dr. Fung on The Keto Diet Podcast with Leanne Vogel a few days ago. Not really any new information to us, but he used an interesting analogy I hadn't heard before. Something to the effect of the path in and out of fat cells being like a one-way bridge, with insulin in control of the direction of traffic. If cars are flowing one way, there is no way to go the opposite direction. If high insulin has fat flowing into fat cells constantly, there is no way for any to get out.

It is the October 22 episode called Fasting vs Calorie Counting if anyone is interested.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:36 AM   #13
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I think I should quit work because it doesn't fit with my preferred fasting schedule. lol
LOL indeed, How can anything interfere with "not eating" - I find it saves a lot of time. No need to shop, save it in fridge, cook it, carry it to work, clean up after, and I would actually have ignorantly said - not poop - but I've had some interesting experiences there so I wont. Eating interferes with work IMHO.

Cool.
Srinath.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:46 AM   #14
MichelleHu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MichelleHu
Stats: 257/220/140
WOE: LC/GF Fung Fasting
Start Date: 12/1/2001 then 5/29/13 restart 12/29/16
Hi all!
I successfully completed my first 24 hour fast! Was much easier than I thought. 12/26 I kicked sugar and carbage out then started a 3 day fat fast, lost 6 lbs on fat fast then on the first started a 24 hour fast after dinner that ended at dinner last night with a big burger patty with cheese and avocado mayo, a lot of avocado mayo. Did have 2 mugs of broth during fast but that's it. Started another 24 hour immediately after dinner so planning omad for I don't know how long. I was going to hop in here with you all a couple days ago but I tried before and just fell off so I decided to see if I could stick it and I did yay!

I put back on every pound I took off a few years ago so sig is not right and then I have tried to get back on the wagon a few times but just couldn't stick it I guess head wasn't in the right place, I feel in the right mind frame now though. I have spent the last week reading every thread on fung here and have ordered his books, that was some seriously long fung threads but it was great reading all the fab progress you guys have made and the ups and downs figuring out this woe.
planning high fat chicken salad taco dinner then another 24 hours. Thanks for helping make fasting feel doable and comfortable and okay compared to what we have always been told. I think it might be a great tool for me too, I'm sure going to try to make it work!
Michelle
MichelleHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:55 AM   #15
MichelleHu
Senior LCF Member

Fixed my stats might as well face it in print, grrrr!
Old 01-03-2017, 09:01 AM   #16
dasiey
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dasiey
Hi everyone. I would like to join your group and learn all I can about fasting and hf/lc. I'm on a 48 hour fast it ends at 530 this evening. I plan on just having one meal tonight and 3 tomorrow. And then fast until Saturday morning. What do you think of my plan?

I have lost 4 pounds I started on 1-1.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #17
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post

And laugh a lot!
Old 01-03-2017, 09:50 AM   #18
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Happy New Year all!

I spent a few days with my parents over the holidays and used IF to try to keep the weight gain at a minimum (my record is 8 lbs in 4 days ). This year I kept it to 2 lbs, that came back off the next day. Whew.

I listened to Dr. Fung on The Keto Diet Podcast with Leanne Vogel a few days ago. Not really any new information to us, but he used an interesting analogy I hadn't heard before. Something to the effect of the path in and out of fat cells being like a one-way bridge, with insulin in control of the direction of traffic. If cars are flowing one way, there is no way to go the opposite direction. If high insulin has fat flowing into fat cells constantly, there is no way for any to get out.

It is the October 22 episode called Fasting vs Calorie Counting if anyone is interested.
Great analogy. Love Dr Fung. I'll look up the episode. Thanks.

And laugh a lot!
Old 01-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #19
dasiey
Senior LCF Member

I was wondering what do you all think about artificial sweeteners on your fasting days I like it in my green tea
Old 01-03-2017, 12:28 PM   #20
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

If the only way you can get through a fasting day is to use a little AS, go ahead.
I use hardly any anymore, but I had to get used to it. After awhile I don't really miss it.

And laugh a lot!
Old 01-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #21
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

I actually got a little bit of a reaction from my stomach with stevia, it seems to stir up a hunger pang 10-20 mins after injestion. Sucralose does not. I have been having sucralose in my tea and coffee, but it is a chemical and has possibility of hurting something.

I am guessing, it isn't causing an insulin reaction but I am not sure, the good doctor recommends we stay away from all of em.

Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:03 PM   #22
MichelleHu
Senior LCF Member

So today is my second 24 hour fast day ending at 5 pm. I have been using broth about a cup 3 times a day to get through. I figured my carton of broth was pretty much junk and before I went any farther I decided to make my own broth. Got it started last night got it done and strained today so I had some. It's very tasty stuff but I'm wearing a path to the bathroom. I really wasn't expecting that cause I did fat fast for 3 days before starting this and I kept my meal last night high fat, loads of avocado mayo on my burger. So this extra fat in the homemade broth shouldn't be hitting me like this, should it?

To answer the AS question I kicked out all artificial sweeteners also when I kicked out sugar preparing for this. I used them as a crutch last time I lost 70 lbs in 2013-2014. Probably part of the reason it took me 2 years to get that off. This time it's not part of my eating plan and I don't think they do good things for my body, probably bad things. I don't know what I'm going to do yet when a sweet craving hits but I should figure that out before I get caught unawares.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:09 PM   #23
dasiey
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all very much for your input. I had tried Stevia in the past but do not like the flavor of it. I only used two packets today hopefully I will get through tomorrow with less.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #24
dasiey
Senior LCF Member

Oh I came off my fast and had my dinner and nothing else until tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #25
dasiey
Senior LCF Member

Does anyone have insomnia when fasting?
Old 01-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #26
MichelleHu
Senior LCF Member

Yes I have a hard time getting to sleep and I'm up early. I hope it gets better. Made it through day 2 of 24 hour fast but my dinner last night was not satisfying. Taste wise I just kept looking at it and thing I don't really even want to eat this. Led me to believe maybe I can pull a 48 hour fast. But boy am I hungry this morn cause it wasn't enough dinner either. Had a hard time trying to come up with dinner for tonight too and even sitting here a pizza bowl and salad just doesn't sound great. Maybe I prepare it but if it's not sounding good still go for 30 hours? I'm seriously considering pushing as far as I can today.....

So the AS question I spent the evening thinking what will I do when my nasty sweet tooth strikes and I can't white knuckle it anymore. I decided I sure don't want real sugar derailing me so I think that will be the time for AS, probably fat bomb. I so wanna be that person who says I don't care for sweets. Want to change my tastebuds I hope it's possible! I'm going to try!
Old 01-04-2017, 10:24 AM   #27
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiey View Post
Does anyone have insomnia when fasting?
I do, but its not in the getting to sleep part, its the staying asleep part, I wake up to pee and there on if its past 3-3:30, my contra regulatory hormones have been pumped out and I am ready to hunt my prey and drag it back to the cave for the day's feast. Oh wait, sorry today hunting happens on the computer, so I get here and post @ odd times.
Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:47 PM   #28
dasiey
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all for your input. I'm starting my fast today. I'm going until Saturday 8am. Working myself up to a long fast.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:05 AM   #29
MichelleHu
Senior LCF Member

How ya doin' Dasiey? Wednesday to Saturday? I'm cheering you on!! let us know how it's going!

Made it through another 24 hour. Now today I think I'm feeling real true hunger. Only ate about a third of my pizza bowl for dinner last night. I think I'm going to break my 3 day 24 hour fasts and have lunch!

Dropped 2 lbs and maybe that's why body screaming hunger at me too? Today i am eating. Won't go off lchf

Last edited by MichelleHu; 01-05-2017 at 09:06 AM..
Old 01-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #30
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Nothing but broth, tea, eggs since sunday and I've lost 4.6 lbs

And laugh a lot!