Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2017, 05:44 PM   #61
kiwib
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwib
Stats: (340/304/150)
WOE: Dukan > Fast-5 > CAD > Fung
Start Date: 12/28/16
Hi Dasiey

I'm a newbie on this particular forum too. I had an unread copy of Dr Fung's Obesity Code sitting in my room. Anyway on 28 Dec I suddenly decided (after a bit of a binge) that I'd fast every second day. After a week or so I'm down a bit. And yesterday I finally got around to reading the book! Reckon I'm on the right track. What I'm doing is what Dr Fung refers to as "36 hour fasting". I don't find the fasting difficult. Do you? It's actually quite fun!

It's my eating day today, and I must admit here that I'm not eating as CLEAN as Dr Fung recommends. But not too badly! My only hiccup has been last weekend when it was my fast day, but my dear grandson phoned and invited me round for a BBQ that evening. I had to accept, so just had two eating days in a row and then got back into fasting every second day. It did a little bit of damage weight-wise but I'm back in the swing now and feeling positive. I have a lot of weight to lose, but I figure that if I only eat 50% of the time, I should in the long term halve my weight. Which is what I am after!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiey View Post
Hi everyone. I would like to join your group and learn all I can about fasting and hf/lc. I'm on a 48 hour fast it ends at 530 this evening. I plan on just having one meal tonight and 3 tomorrow. And then fast until Saturday morning. What do you think of my plan?

I have lost 4 pounds I started on 1-1.

Last edited by kiwib; 01-10-2017 at 05:46 PM..
kiwib is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #62
MichelleHu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MichelleHu
Stats: 257/220/140
WOE: LC/GF Fung Fasting
Start Date: 12/1/2001 then 5/29/13 restart 12/29/16
I broke my fast. 68 hours. 4 hours short of 3 days. I was doing fine all morning then whammy, suddenly felt terrible, severe hot flashes then freezing, felt unstable walking, had plenty of fluids in me so wasn't dehydrated. I'm ecstatic with almost 3 days. I'm glad I went for it. I enjoyed it. I expected day 2 to be really tough but it was a breeze. So I hit a wall and called as Fung recommends. I am going to stay lchf but will graze for the next few hours cause I want to take food slow. 19 days amazing! WTG!
MichelleHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #63
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srinath_69
Stats: 238/149/138
WOE: Fibonnaci fasting, BPT atkins 20
Start Date: Jun 1, July 25, Aug 15, sept 15, Oct 12
I was fat fasting as well as taking salt, lemon, Cal, mg, zn, and K and B complex. Much like I had to 2 mins ago, cos I was crashing.
True Water fast - my limit is 2 days, max nowadays. Currently I am on day 7 of a 9 day, following the meal on 13th I'll do a 10 FAST (yea sucralose and fats as well as 0 calorie spices, cant do without those). I didn't too too many very good water fasts, maybe a couple days early in my fasting periods. I remember cramping up like crazy 6 days into a 15 dayer, panicking and eating, and eating myself out of keto to see if the cramps go away.
I think that was the longest water only. Oct 31st to Nov 6th 2016.
The 19 dayer was not pure water atleast not the last 5 days for sure.

Thanks.
Srinath.
srinath_69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #64
MichelleHu
Senior LCF Member

Yes I got to thinking I could have had broth, see if that would have fixed me right up, because I suspect I needed salt.it would have allowed me to continue but it wouldn't have been a water fast then. Back to OMAD, which I really like.

Srinath- Did you lose all your weight fasting?
Old 01-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #65
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

I started @ 238 on June 1 2016. A1c of 5.9 and FBS 99. Pre-diabetic.
I had long wanted to try atkins, and that was the trigger. So I just cut out foods that were carb heavy that I didn't like. Rice and bread, especially pizza bread, I'd order the pizza in a topping bowl - everything but the bread.
I was 219 on July 25th when I dropped under 20 gm carb, was drinking 2-3X atkins shakes etc.
Was still @ 219 sept 17 though I felt a lot better throughout when I went to 24hr fasting.
I almost instantly dropped through the first 30 lb so fast, in 2 weeks or so.
Oct 12th my fasting went to 2, 3, 5, 8, 6, 9, 9, 20, 4, 2, 1, 5, 5, 2, 2, and the 8th day I am today shooting for 9, then planning a 10, and then a 8 (or who knows, I am shooting for getting that last baseball sized clump of fat out).
I plan to go to a 3 day regular routine for the next 20-30 meals, then maybe go to potato hack for 5-15 days then a calorie counting style, with regular carb counting and IF detours.
I like my sweet tea and some other Indian confections.
But I also like meat, eggs and cheese. If I keep these 2 separate, being calorie deficient when on the first, then fast, then get the second one covered I guess I'd maintain a 140-145 range which would just make me borderline underweight.
Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #66
MichelleHu
Senior LCF Member

Srinath-Wow, that's some dedication there. On a mission. Great job!

Up a lb after breaking fast. I assume it's just putting food back in the system. Omad looking good, dinner at 5. Thinking a few days of omad then another 3 day fast. I just keep thinking if I'm not hungry at dinner why should I eat? Maybe a late dinner? I guess I will eat when I get hungry, now that's a concept I've never operated under
Old 01-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #67
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Its easier 48 hours after eating, but I should say, water fasts are not for me. That 6 dayer sent me down to a painful state. I am lemon salting like crazy today, its even a decent palate cleanser for my Sucralose tea. So its working on many fronts.
Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #68
MichelleHu
Senior LCF Member

I was reading your supra lose experiment in that other thread. Keep us informed, it's interesting, plus anyone willing to give it up themselves to be a guinea pig has my vote!
Old 01-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #69
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

I will. I start feeling miserable only 6-7pm on. The cold is what gets me.
Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:17 AM   #70
MichelleHu
Senior LCF Member

Just checking to see how many are still fasting on and off. I'm coming off 4 days today, taco salad for me, a big one, quite sure my giant eyeballs are bigger than my stomach. Breaking the fast cause I feel tired today, I think it's time. Otherwise this has been the easiest fast yet, as long as I get some salt in everyday I never get dizzy. I used to get dizzy if I didn't eat all day till dinner so it's really eye opening to just get a pinch of sea salt and no dizziness . Did have broth on day 2 and 3, otherwise it's been a coffee tea and water fast.

Should be interesting to see how much of a bounce I get after eating on the scale tomorrow. Never want to see the bounce but I think it's part of fasting. After my last 3 day fast it bounced up 1. I hope for that again but don't know if it's realistic? Feels like this is all a giant experiment, I have no experience in it.

Anyone else still fasting? What's your usual bounce up, or do you have one?
Old 01-20-2017, 07:27 AM   #71
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

I broke a 6 dayer yesterday in a rather unplanned move.
I am eating Saturday and Monday and then going on a week-8 day long.
My scales are indicating I am in the 7-8% body fat range, so I am going to have to taper them to where I am not getting problems.
I am working on getting that visceral fat - in the 2-3 range as per my scale down to 0 if possible.
Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #72
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Fasting and LCHF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
I am going all day on bone broth, tea, and 1 egg before bed. This has worked well for me and I've lost 6 lbs this month.
Oh and a gallon of water.

I lose so slow I don't bounce much. I don't even pay attention to it anymore.

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!

Last edited by JayLynn; 01-20-2017 at 09:41 AM..
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #73
MichelleHu
Senior LCF Member

Jaylyn~ nice not to really have that bounce. 6 lbs in, what 3 weeks, we are into January, that's great! An egg is something I have considered before bed. Bedtime is usually the hardest fasting. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Old 01-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #74
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Michelle. Its taken me years to find what works for me. I started low carb, lost 80 lbs and have kept it off for 6 years. that in itself is a miracle for me. Two years ago I read Josie Spinardi's book and did well with HDE (eating only when hungry). Last year I learned about Dr Fung and watched and read all his stuff I could find. He just made so much sense to me.

I don't do longer fasts, usually do OMAD, with a few longer fasts in between, like today with broth and an egg.

I only do what feels right, I don't force myself to "not eat this or that" or go without food when its driving me crazy to eat. I've let my body determine when and what it wants, pretty much. Most days, when eating, I am under 20 carbs.

I don't weigh myself every day. too stressful for me. So I guess I just don't see the bounces. and thats fine.

I still want to lose about 40 lbs, but feel pretty good, so I don't think about that much. I got back to fasting after being gone most of November and December. So I'm sure that's why its coming off pretty easy so far.

CONGRATS! on a four day fast. I wish I could imagine myself doing one. Maybe some day. You are doing great!!

And laugh a lot!
Old 01-21-2017, 11:15 PM   #75
Dianne
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dianne
Stats: 188/140/125
WOE: Nutrional Ketosis/Fasting
Start Date: January 17, 2017
Hello! Has been over two years since I was last here.

I got down to 158 in 2014 but then lost interest in the diet. I did gain 25 pounds back but I still was not interested in counting macros again.

But, eventually insulin resistance caught up with me and A1C/fasting glucose started rising and fatty liver became an issue. I've decided that I must take control and started in on lchf nutritional ketosis last fall and have been doing well. Last week I read up on fasting and ran the idea past my doctor and she was all for it.

I naturally fast for around 18 hours at a stretch. I only ever eat breakfast or lunch on holidays. I generally only have dinner and a light snack before bed so I needed to try something that was different than my normal eating habits. The doctor said that my desire to do 3-5 day fasts was fine and will be beneficial.

I did a 48 hour fast to start out to see how it felt. It felt great. All those ketone bodies feeding my brain made me even happier than usual (but with total insomnia!) I only had water, black coffee, plain herbal teas, salt, magnesium and a daily multivitamin. I'll start again at midnight on Tuesday and fast Tues, Wed, Thurs for sure but if I can make it through Fri and Sat - all the better!

I'm simmering a combo of roasted chicken carcass and chicken feet (I know - ewwww - but they have lots of collagen) with veggies so that I can have a nice stock to sip on at dinner if I feel the need but I did okay without it on the 2 day fast.

The worst part of fasting for me may just very well be the fact that I'm chief cook and bottle washer at home. It is hard to cook without tasting this and that for seasoning and tenderness so I warned my husband that he'll probably get frozen leftovers on the days that I'm fasting. Maybe I can get him to join me so that he doesn't have to suffer through reheated dinners
Dianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:55 AM   #76
MichelleHu
Senior LCF Member

Dianne~ you have a doc that's on board with fasting? Wow!

I'm really enjoying it to. Try to stick to one meal a day in between 2-3-4 day fasts, really paying attention to how I feel so I never set an ending date. Ended a 4 day fast a couple days ago. Bone broth gets me right on through the evenings.

Still reading my Fung books so I don't have all his info yet.....
Old 01-22-2017, 10:04 AM   #77
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Dianne and Michelle

You are both doing great! I am jealous you can do multi-day fasts. I really need to get my head in the right place and just go for it. I do a lot of "almost" fasts, with eggs only. I can't sleep if I go to bed feeling hungry.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

And laugh a lot!
Old 01-28-2017, 07:16 AM   #78
ClicketWench
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ClicketWench
Stats: 283/197.2/158
WOE: LCHF, IF
Start Date: July 23, 2016
Hi everyone! I'm still doing OMAD. Occasionally I do a 48 hour fast, but not too often.I WAS doing them two times a week, but twice now, I have experienced feeling faint when I am on my second day of fasting, when I have gone over 48 hours because of Life. The first time was on election day when I had to stand in line for 3 hours to vote. I actually passed out that time. The second time was last week. I was visiting someone in the hospital and had to stand for a long period of time. That time I recognized the feeling and was able to sit down before I fell out. I have been able to do the 48 hour fasts with no problem, as long as I don't have to stand for long periods of time, but it isn't good to feel faint like that when I never know what life is going to throw at me.

Here's my journal: ClicketWench Unbound , if you want to stop by!
ClicketWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #79
lindaokc
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/153/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Continual restarting :)
Looks like the majority of fasters have stopped posting. I'm hoping that doesn't mean they have stopped fasting. I have read the entire 2 threads of Fung fasting and was anxious to try it myself, but don't want to start if the majority are finding it unsustainable.
I started 2 days ago, OMAD, dinner, and have dropped 4. Today went out with DGD for lunch and so not sure if I'm doing 2MAD today or not. Hoping I can do one, but if it takes 2, it takes 2.
I do have concerns about this being sustainable and wish some others would check in and let us know how it's going for them.

Clicket, sounds like you are doing great and glad you listened to your body so you didn't pass out again.
Jaylynn, you are also doing good.
Everybody fasting, keep posting please. It's much easier together.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:00 PM   #80
Princessbrendag
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessbrendag
Stats: 194/135/130
WOE: LC and OMAD with 1 HC day per week
Start Date: September 6th 2016
I'm still fasting but changed it a little, I do low carb and OMAD Sunday-Thursday and I fast on Friday then on Saturday I have a high carb day...I lose anywhere between 1-3 pounds a week and this week I lost 2 pounds

5 LBS To Go
Princessbrendag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:22 PM   #81
MichelleHu
Senior LCF Member

Still fasting just ended 3 days this evening. If I get a little lightheaded it's always lack of salt, every time. The first sign of it I dip my finger in pink sea salt and am good to go. Usually once or twice a day.

I love fasting, day 2 is always the hardest. The only reason I ate today was that I really wanted something, not hungry wise but plain old WANT, and broth wasn't going to do it for me. So burger patty with cheese and shiracha Aoli. I also don't set a goal, like "I'm gonna fast 4 days". I go till I want to eat or feeling a little off. That part for me makes me feel like I'm listening to my body but not stressing my body out, or stressing DH out

So easy! Gives me a day or 2 or 3 to really figure out what I want to eat too. Hope to fast tomorrow cause Monday or Tuesday I decided I'm making cauliflower-tots. Had that recipe for 5 years finally going to make them, just need to make a new special sauce for them.

Should be breaking into new lows territory tomorrow I hope. Had to take off girls night out water weight the last few days but it sure comes off faster when fasting
Old 01-28-2017, 09:25 PM   #82
MichelleHu
Senior LCF Member

Also there's tons of Fung threads if you go back further than 100 days for threads under here, other plans and under juddd too.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:48 PM   #83
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Day 2 yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleHu View Post
Still fasting just ended 3 days this evening. If I get a little lightheaded it's always lack of salt, every time. The first sign of it I dip my finger in pink sea salt and am good to go. Usually once or twice a day.

I love fasting, day 2 is always the hardest. The only reason I ate today was that I really wanted something, not hungry wise but plain old WANT, and broth wasn't going to do it for me. So burger patty with cheese and shiracha Aoli. I also don't set a goal, like "I'm gonna fast 4 days". I go till I want to eat or feeling a little off. That part for me makes me feel like I'm listening to my body but not stressing my body out, or stressing DH out
Oh, light headed = lack of salt - good to know, I used to feel a lot less light headed when I was slinging back those lemon salt cocktails every morning. The last few days with daily eating that has gone away. I will not feel bad about that from now on. A side benefit to that, especially when I take K, Ca, Mg, Zn and b complex with it - the constipation goes away.

I find that day 2 is when I have to start taking vitamins and salt+lemon. 48 hrs of nothing, then almost on the dot by hour 50 I am in crash mode.

Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:48 AM   #84
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

I'm still plugging along. I did one 36 last week after a two meal day. I was hungry that day, so I ate. A big chef salad around 1pm and then ribeye and greens around 6. Fasted the next day and wasn't really hungry at all. When you keep at this with lots of hills and valleys, it does get easier. I say this after a year of slow but steady progress.

And laugh a lot!

Last edited by JayLynn; 01-29-2017 at 08:51 AM..
Old 01-30-2017, 12:36 AM   #85
lindaokc
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/153/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Continual restarting :)
Wow, everybody is doing so well and it keeps me inspired! I have only done the OMAD so far, with a 2MAD on Saturday w/ DGD eating Chinese for lunch. The carbs hit me yesterday and made it hard to wait for OMAD. Made it til approx 3:30 and was satisfied after consuming about 900 calories, give or take. It's always hard to figure calories when cooking from scratch, so I always err on the high side. 3 roasted chicken thighs, broccoli & a small avocado. Down 1 lb this morning. I'll take it.
I'm encouraged by those of you saying it gets easier after awhile. I was sure wanting to snack after dinner and extend my window. I did have 2 squares dark chocolate and didn't fret about it, but shortly after dinner, so considered it part of the meal.
My problem has always been emotional eating and I'm not sure the fasting can help with that, but as long as I'm seeing results, I'll probably stick with it.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:51 AM   #86
Sage1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sage1
WOE: Cal Counting
I'm not a Fung faster, just doing a bit of "intermittent fasting," which for me means trying not to eat from my habitually very early dinner to breakfast. I've been reading the threads here. Hello all.

Last edited by Sage1; 01-30-2017 at 12:59 AM..
Sage1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:26 PM   #87
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Oh I have a new insight into Dr Fung's fasting regimen. Why broth is OK but my favorite - Curly doc (an edible weed) isn't. 100 gm of Curly doc have 4 gm carbs, of which 3.6 is fiber, 1/2 gm protein and 1/4 gm fat. Almost the same net carbs and fat and protein as bone broth (depending on brand). But the genius doctor recommends Broth, and well, I assumed he didn't know about Curly dock. However I have a different thought now, and I am not sure if he knows of CD but doesn't matter.

The answer - fiber. Fiber even though isn't absorbed by your body, creates an insulin response. That 3.6gm in a 100 gm plate will cause enough response to kill your insulin curve for a few hours atleast. So do the lignans in olive oil and high lignan flax oil. That's also why butter has a lower insulin AUC than olive oil.

Net carbs may work for true atkins, but not for eating during an insulin fast. Of course eating anything during a fast is pretty much an oxymoron. But Bone broth is better than curly dock, and pure fat (butter) is better than crashing and burning and giving up.

Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:41 AM   #88
MichelleHu
Senior LCF Member

Anyone notice that your losing in a different way with fasting? I seem to be losing in the tummy first, even my mommas lower tummy. That is always last to go for me, so I'm wondering if it's not only the inflammation leaving after going back to no sugar and low carb but it really is the fat surrounding the organs, that most dangerous kind. I should go and read that part in the Fung book again.

I'm only a month into this so no experience. Let me know what your experience is.....
Old 01-31-2017, 10:44 AM   #89
myhnabird
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: myhnabird
Stats: 223.2/191.0/160
WOE: Fung style IF
Start Date: Re-start - Jan 8 2016
One of the more obvious signs of insulin resistance is a big belly so it sounds like you're well on your way to healing your IR. Good for you!

Start: 223.2
1st goal - end of March - Onederland: Done - Nov 15

My journal - Fitter Fifties
myhnabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:46 AM   #90
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

I seem to be losing extremities inward. Below the belly button has the last little grab of significant fat left. Of course flabby skin is also there.
Oh what does the book say about intra organ fat - AKA visceral fat.
Thanks.
Srinath.