Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2017, 11:34 AM   #1
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Flour blend help needed.

I am trying to figure out the best flour blend for baked goods that need to rise nicely.

I have a lot of ingredients on hand and so far have not come up with the perfect ratio.

I don't want to use eggs since I hate the taste but am willing to play with aquafaba, ground flax/chia, psyllium and possible ener-g if necessary.
Now I use flax and chia which works pretty well.

Ingredients I have on hand;
Almond flour
Coconut flour
Vital wheat gluten
Oat fiber
Glucomannan

I have chick pea flour but am not wanting to use it in the blend.

I've been using 1 cup cornmeal and 1/3 c almond flour, 1 T coconut flour, 1 T oat fiber in my cornbread.
It's a little dense but only a little....maybe too much coconut flour or maybe needing a bit of glucomannan?

I want a blend I can use for sweet things, really.

No protein powder.

I've looked at all the blends on the recipe boards but many have protein powder which I think could just be eliminated.
Also lots of eggs used (gag).

I know Ouizoid is the pro......
Anybody?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I'm no baker but I know from experiments that chia seed will make things a bit lighter and help with the denseness. I just put them in the way they are, I don't make the gel stuff. But I see you already use that.....oops

Hopefully ouizoid will stop by and help you out.

On the help and suggestions forum, EnglishLit does a lot of flour experiments...just a thought.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Nigel. I saw those flour experiments.

I think that I'll just need to find the ratios of flour ingredients then I can add sweetener and leaving PRN.

I'd like to be using oat fiber and glucommanan in the mix, especially since I have both and don't really use them.

I have tossed quite a few vegan baked items. I don't know if they don't turn out well or whether I'm just too picky.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #4
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I haven't done a lot of baking experiments, but a few years ago, I did quite a few and I didn't like most of them. So maybe they just don't taste that good or else we need more imagination? lol
I blamed it on my lack of baking skills, but then if you follow a recipe exactly, no skills should be needed. I dunno.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I realized that there's a bag of organic peanut flour in my fridge. I used a couple T's in a smoothie and it was not enough to make the peanut flavor stand out so I'm thinking this might be a good replacement for protein powder if needed.

Nigel, I haven't found much in the way of baked goods that I would continue to make. Not using eggs is a big deal when it comes to baking and if the egg is not well hidden, I can't eat it.
LC tend to be egg heavy so those recipes don't work for me.

BUT I have made some raw bites that I keep around. I actually started with a Beauty and the Foodie chocolate lemon balls. The lemon zest gave me acid reflux so I switched it out for almond extract....yum.
A little heavy on CO for me though.

I also make a carrot cake ball which contains some oats that make great travel food as well as for that time when you need just a bite.

I was on the JUDDD recipe thread and saw a simple cookie recipe from The Fit Foodie. It used almond flour but when I went to the blog, I found The 25 Calorie Cookie using coconut flour in the same quantity.
Trying that, for sure.

Today, however, I am picking up a chocolate cake with fudge filling and coated with ganache for hubs birthday. I'll be consuming some calories and carbs for the next couple days for sure.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:12 PM   #6
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I made my standard cornbread last evening and used a mix of almond flour, oat fiber and coconut flour for the 1/2 cup of flour required.
I just measured a T each of oat fiber and co flour into a measuring cup and added almond flour up to the amount needed.

Then instead of flax egg I used aquafaba from some white beans I cooked for soup.

It turned out really good and a bit lighter with the aquafaba.

Cornbread is really forgiving since it can be somewhat dense which is the way we like it but it was not as dense using bean liquid.

I've been using BRM gluten free baking blend for the flour but the almond flour mix is such a nice flavor.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #7
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am glad that cornbread turned out good.

Cornbread used to be one of my favorite foods.

A couple of times per year, I buy a block of the premade cornbread at whole foods. I tried sprouts cornbread, but it was dry and yukky.

Whole foods is good, but you have to get there around lunch time when its fresh. The little block tides me over for a few months.

I am always tempted to buy the 8x8 square pan they sell, but so far, I have resisted.