Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Forum Jump
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 07:26 AM   #1
WonderMonkey
Senior LCF Member
 
WonderMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Vandalia, OH
Posts: 99
Gallery: WonderMonkey
Stats: 274.8/257.5/200??
Start Date: Jan 3, 2017
No Carb - Wiped Out During Exercise

I realize doing low/no carb means you have less immediate energy. My goal is zero carbs per day for a bit. During exercise I am just destroyed. I'm doing a twice a week heart rate based cardo workout and the objective is to redline the heart rate (to established 100%) and then active rest or no activity rest. It's a great program except for the pain of doing it with just stored fat energy.

I know as long as I'm doing no carb this will continue. Sure, I will increase my fitness, which will help, but the lack of energy will have an impact.
WonderMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2017, 07:50 AM   #2
Avocado
Senior LCF Member
 
Avocado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 500
Gallery: Avocado
Stats: 270/231/202
WOE: LC: Sept 2016
Start Date: Oct 2015
Kudos to you for embarking on such a program. Is it IHT? I used to hike a lot, but can't imagine it since I have been on LC. Will restart at some point, but having no immediate energy is a bit of a drag.
__________________


March 31st: 234 233 232 231 230 . 229 228 227 226 225 . 225 223 222 221 220

Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:51 AM   #3
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ouizoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,119
Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
this too will pass. Once your body is better fat adapted, you will have no problem with exercise.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:55 AM   #4
Puppy love
Senior LCF Member
 
Puppy love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 132
Gallery: Puppy love
Stats: 203/125.5/108-5'4"
WOE: LC/clean eating
Start Date: October 1, 2012
I exercise daily. Your body will get use to it and adjust. Just keep at it.
Puppy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:59 AM   #5
WonderMonkey
Senior LCF Member
 
WonderMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Vandalia, OH
Posts: 99
Gallery: WonderMonkey
Stats: 274.8/257.5/200??
Start Date: Jan 3, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocado View Post
Kudos to you for embarking on such a program. Is it IHT? I used to hike a lot, but can't imagine it since I have been on LC. Will restart at some point, but having no immediate energy is a bit of a drag.
Is IHT Interval Hit Training? This is formally called MyZone but that's just because it's what it's called. We wear heart rate monitors and it's displayed on screen. The app tracks the effort and what your 100% rate should be then adjusts that over time. After serveral workouts it should be fairly accurate.

They usually want compound exercises, such as 10 cycles of short time burst rows with short rests, then wait as the heart rate comes down to a certain point before doing another six cycles of over the bar burpees and rest.

The next class, things will be different, but the approach is the same.
WonderMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:00 AM   #6
WonderMonkey
Senior LCF Member
 
WonderMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Vandalia, OH
Posts: 99
Gallery: WonderMonkey
Stats: 274.8/257.5/200??
Start Date: Jan 3, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
this too will pass. Once your body is better fat adapted, you will have no problem with exercise.
Hopefully so. I know now my body is not used to pulling the majority of it's energy from fat stores.
WonderMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:19 AM   #7
WonderMonkey
Senior LCF Member
 
WonderMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Vandalia, OH
Posts: 99
Gallery: WonderMonkey
Stats: 274.8/257.5/200??
Start Date: Jan 3, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy love View Post
I exercise daily. Your body will get use to it and adjust. Just keep at it.
Will do. Right now I don't exercise daily as I'm hoping there is some amount of energy recovery that will help me through the next scheduled class. On the weekend I do go and walk or hike but that's it for now. As my recovery allows I'll add in more day.
WonderMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #8
battler
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 138
Gallery: battler
I actually would not do any intense exercise until you were fat adapted and then build it up slowly.
battler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #9
GME
Blabbermouth!!!
 
GME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CA Coast
Posts: 7,344
Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/199/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
As a runner, I have read quite a bit about fat adaptation and exercise. Even the most adamant proponents of fat adaptation say it doesn't give the same energy at the extreme high end of effort. Biologically, that is what glycogen is for.

I'm sure it will get better, and unless you are making a living as a sprinter, it may not be enough energy difference to matter.
__________________
Gina

Last edited by GME; 01-11-2017 at 12:52 PM..
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #10
WonderMonkey
Senior LCF Member
 
WonderMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Vandalia, OH
Posts: 99
Gallery: WonderMonkey
Stats: 274.8/257.5/200??
Start Date: Jan 3, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by battler View Post
I actually would not do any intense exercise until you were fat adapted and then build it up slowly.
Why is that? If it's just because of the pain and suffering, it's something that I just deal with and move on. If it's because of a health reason I'm all ears.
WonderMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #11
WonderMonkey
Senior LCF Member
 
WonderMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Vandalia, OH
Posts: 99
Gallery: WonderMonkey
Stats: 274.8/257.5/200??
Start Date: Jan 3, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
As a runner, I have read quite a bit about fat adaptation and exercise. Even the most adamant proponents of fat adaptation say it doesn't give the same energy at the extreme high end of effort. Biologically, that is what glycogen is for.
I would agree, and would not expect it to do so. However, I DO think my body can learn (get used to?) to be more efficient with a bit of time in getting energy from fat. I'm kindof making that up so I really don't know for sure.
WonderMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #12
GME
Blabbermouth!!!
 
GME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CA Coast
Posts: 7,344
Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/199/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
I would agree, and would not expect it to do so. However, I DO think my body can learn (get used to?) to be more efficient with a bit of time in getting energy from fat. I'm kindof making that up so I really don't know for sure.
I'm sure it can. It is just a different pathway to energy and your body has to get used to it.
__________________
Gina
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #13
battler
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 138
Gallery: battler
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
Why is that? If it's just because of the pain and suffering, it's something that I just deal with and move on. If it's because of a health reason I'm all ears.
You say you feel destroyed........exercise is supposed to energise you. I totally believe in listening to your body.

I went cold turkey low carb around Feb 2016 and started HIT around April. I did more and more over time, but never did I feel destroyed and my understanding is that is one of the signs of being fat adapted
battler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:07 PM   #14
WonderMonkey
Senior LCF Member
 
WonderMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Vandalia, OH
Posts: 99
Gallery: WonderMonkey
Stats: 274.8/257.5/200??
Start Date: Jan 3, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by battler View Post
You say you feel destroyed........exercise is supposed to energise you. I totally believe in listening to your body.

I went cold turkey low carb around Feb 2016 and started HIT around April. I did more and more over time, but never did I feel destroyed and my understanding is that is one of the signs of being fat adapted
Destroyed while doing it. I've been inactive for 9 months due to an injury so my general fitness is low. That, coupled with zero carbs, makes he hour difficult. Even if I was in perfect shape the class is designed to take you to your limits.

Later, when I've recovered, I do feel better for sure.
WonderMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #15
Avocado
Senior LCF Member
 
Avocado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 500
Gallery: Avocado
Stats: 270/231/202
WOE: LC: Sept 2016
Start Date: Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
Is IHT Interval Hit Training? This is formally called MyZone but that's just because it's what it's called. We wear heart rate monitors and it's displayed on screen. The app tracks the effort and what your 100% rate should be then adjusts that over time. After serveral workouts it should be fairly accurate.
Yes HIT. Sorry, typo. Is MyZone the app? I hesitate on HIT because I worry about weather my heart would manage (given obesity and age).
__________________


March 31st: 234 233 232 231 230 . 229 228 227 226 225 . 225 223 222 221 220

Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:03 AM   #16
WonderMonkey
Senior LCF Member
 
WonderMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Vandalia, OH
Posts: 99
Gallery: WonderMonkey
Stats: 274.8/257.5/200??
Start Date: Jan 3, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocado View Post
Yes HIT. Sorry, typo. Is MyZone the app? I hesitate on HIT because I worry about weather my heart would manage (given obesity and age).
Yes, MyZone, you got it. We have two very large people in my class that haven't done anything for years. The good thing is that it doesn't take much to get their heart rate to the established 100% so it's relative strain for everybody. For mine the last three workouts the app has adjusted based on what it has tracked.

The place I am doing my class is also the place I will eventually go back and do CrossFit. The instructors there are VERY "instructional" and focus on proper form, getting through the class, safety, etc. This may or may not be like where you would take your class.
WonderMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2017 Netrition, Inc. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Netrition, Inc.