Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-18-2016, 07:17 PM   #1
Frenchy1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Frenchy1
WOE: Atkins at first...Then LowCarb Recipes
Start Date: January 2, 2016
Substitute for 1 cup of Carbalose Flour

Can I use Coconut Flour or Almond Flour instead of 1 cup Carbalose flour?
And if so, how much for Coconut Flour?
And if so, how much for Almond Flour?
THANK YOU.
Frenchy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2016, 07:06 AM   #2
merittandrews
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: merittandrews
WOE: Low Carb/Sugar Free
Start Date: June 1, 2002
I bet you could get some answers on the recipe and baking board!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=9

It all depends on what you are baking - but a simple answer would be 'no' - just substituting coconut flour would not work. And probably not just almond flour either. But a mixture would do it.

It would depend on what you were using it for; a dessert crust? In a dessert filling? In a pizza crust? Biscuits? Thickening a sauce?

A 'basic' substitution for dessert crusts (and you could play with it a bit) would be;

1 c almond flour
1 T coconut flour
1/4 oat flour or whey protein powder
dash salt
sweetener

Depending on what you are making I use psyllium husk powder or vital wheat gluten, or many other items in my 'mixes' too.

Last edited by merittandrews; 01-19-2016 at 07:08 AM..
merittandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:58 AM   #3
Frenchy1
Junior LCF Member

merittandrews...Thank you for your reply on Carbalose Flour and the baking board...I'm new to this website and learning how to navigate...I think it's very confusing, but I'll make it.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:04 PM   #4
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Let us know what you are trying to make, and we can help you. Can you post the original recipe?
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:48 PM   #5
Frenchy1
Junior LCF Member

SooBee...No specific recipe...it's just that I don't have Carbalose Flour on hand and many recipes require that. However, I do have lots of Almond Flour and Coconut Flour. So, I thought there may be a special formula to use either 1 cup of Almond Flour or 1 cup of Coconut Flour or as mix of these 2 to replace that 1 cup of Carbalosde Flour. I'm new to this Low Carbing and learning. Thanks for your reply...Hoping to hear from you on this question.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:55 PM   #6
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Hit the blue word carbalose flour and it will take you to Netrition and that is where we buy most of our supplies. Check out all that they have their you will love it.

Carbalose flour is it's own thing.

May we all live our life as long as we want!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #7
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Carbalose is not a straight "flour" either - it has emulsifiers and fat added to it - here is the list of ingredients:

Enzyme enhanced wheat and wheat protein, vital wheat gluten, wheat fiber, high-protein patent flour, vegetable fiber, canola oil, salt, dextrose, emulsifiers, enzymes, ascorbic acid, calcium propionate (a preservative).

This is why you can't really go cup for cup with a straight flour alternative like coconut or almond flour. Also, coconut flour is like a sponge and absorbs liquids at a much higher rate than Carbalose (or most other LC flours, in my experience) - I know there are several people on here who have posted flour blends that they like to use, Jennifer Eloff being one, also KevinPA, however his blend uses a lot of things I don't keep on hand.

Best thing is to go with a tried 'n true recipe on here that calls for what you DO have. A great one for almond flour is The Chicken Lady's carrot cake, if you want something sweet, or her Fudge Cake.

I've tried coconut flour a couple times now and not been happy with the results, so I can't steer you in the direction of a recipe that uses it, although I'm sure there are some on here that are good!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:17 PM   #8
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
I agree with the general consensus, you won't be able to use almond flour or coconut flour alone in recipes calling for either regular all purpose flour or Carbalose. Just as with all baking, there is a science to low carb baking and you'll have to put in a little effort and research in figuring out which ingredients work together and which ingredients you can afford/tolerate. I won't work with coconut flour at all, but it can produce some very authentic tasting baked goods if you find a recipe that specifically calls for it.

There are some tried and true low carb flour blends you can experiment with. If you google THM, you will find a few low carb baking blend recipes that use coconut flour as a base, but you will have to use oat fiber, which to my knowledge is only sold online.

At the very least, most almond flour recipes will need protein powder, egg white powder, or some type of protein in order to provide structure, along with xantham gum or something similar. Good luck!
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote