Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2017, 03:42 PM   #31
Jennyl
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
I am trying to do a more plant based diet. I have watched forks over knives recently, although I've mixed it up with some other movies. I watched what the health and I didn't like that movie too much. Anyway, I'm trying to make some changes. My diet has been very unhealthy lately and I am getting older. Being overweight, having high blood pressure, it will have some very serious consequences if I don't do something soon. I still eat some meat and dairy though, I have some in my house and I'm not going to get rid of it. I also don't live alone, so I have a difficult time resisting the temptations of foods I love being around all the time. It's a big change, so I'm giving myself plenty of time to adjust and learn as I go. I find it harder than low carb because I'm a lot hungrier. When I do low carb it keeps the hunger at bay, but on plant based I get hungry a lot and I find that quite difficult to deal with, and probably why I fall off the wagon so much. Anyway, I'm rambling here, I will try to keep following this thread and the discussions.
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2017, 09:01 PM   #32
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
So why switch from LC? Oh, I see you've been a member for a long time so maybe it isn't working?

Any change will take a bit of time for some people but sticking with it is key so you don't have to keep starting over.

I'm sure you'll be successful and the variety of food in endless.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:48 PM   #33
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Nice to have you here jennyl.

For me, the thing is to get enough protein.
I add to my diet by juicing and having a daily smoothie that has powdered protein in it. (I haven't given up dairy as its one of my fave sources of protein--I don't know if I ever will.)

I like Isopure whey protein powder and I use almond milk with it.

If you are giving up dairy as well, then I recommend Syntrax peach flavored. It tastes just like peaches and you just add water.

I also got the grapefruit flavored, but it isn't very good...tastes artificial to me.

I read somewhere that if you are hungry and/or tired, that you may be lacking salt. But of course if you have high blood pressure then the doc will recommend low salt and no salt substitutes either. But Mrs. Dash flavors up food pretty good.

Last edited by Nigel; 08-28-2017 at 06:50 PM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #34
Jennyl
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
So why switch from LC? Oh, I see you've been a member for a long time so maybe it isn't working?

Any change will take a bit of time for some people but sticking with it is key so you don't have to keep starting over.

I'm sure you'll be successful and the variety of food in endless.
I haven't been successful with low carb in the long run. It just doesn't seem to be something I can stick with. Also, if I'm trying to decrease the amount of animal products I eat, I think low carb would be extremely difficult for me.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:46 PM   #35
Jennyl
Blabbermouth!!!

thanks Nigel. I've never used protein shakes or powders or anything like. I thought they were kind of pointless if you can eat the food....but I think I need to be more open minded. Maybe I do need some extra protein and it would help.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:28 PM   #36
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

You can use hemp hearts to increase protein if you need to. I usually add them to my smoothies along with flax, chia and a T of oats.

Beans, of course are a great source and PB which is old school veg protein.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #37
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyl View Post
thanks Nigel. I've never used protein shakes or powders or anything like. I thought they were kind of pointless if you can eat the food....but I think I need to be more open minded. Maybe I do need some extra protein and it would help.
If you can get enough protein from eating, then I wouldn't bother with protein powder at all. I have bad habits like not eating and sometimes I'm going home from work thinking how hungry I am and then realize that I didn't eat anything all day. That's why I started using protein powder.

Also, I must warn you, that all protein powders are not created equal. Some of them are grainy and some just plain taste awful. I read lots of good stuff about pea protein powder and I tried two different brands and I thought they were horrible, while other people raved about them.

I may be more sensitive to tastes than I should be, but I can't help that.
Also, if you are giving up animal products, then that means dairy also so that means whey too. You can find plant based protein powders. I have only tried one and it was yuk!, but then I read that it had pea protein in it. I should have read the ingredients before I bought it.

What jem51 said is a great way to get enough protein.

You can use other nut butters as well like sunflower, almond, etc.
You can use chia and applesauce to replace eggs in baking also.

If you go to some plant based sites, you will find all kinds of recipes and tips that might help with your transition. LC is not for everyone. A lot of us adapt and kind of make our own diets--ya know whatever works for you.

I only started using the protein powders cuz I was exhausted every day, so I needed the protein. You may not need it cuz you might be getting enough already.

Last edited by Nigel; 09-05-2017 at 07:11 PM..
Old 09-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #38
Jennyl
Blabbermouth!!!

thanks for the help. I'm not sure I'll ever be totally plant based. I still drink coffee with cream in it. I have never found a good alternative to half and half in coffee. I have tried silk cream, but it has sugar in it, and I'm not fond of sugar in my coffee. I've tried coconut milk but I don't like my coffee coconutty. Regular almond, rice, or soy milk isn't creamy enough. I know I sound like I'm being very picky, and this is definitely a first world problem, but I would love to find an unsweetened plant based cream for my coffee.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #39
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Silk original creamer is not too bad with just a little sweet but Trader Joes is best. Their soy is what I usually use but they were out so I bought the coconut and it is not sweet at all.

I don't think you are the only plant based person who still uses dairy in coffee. If I go to Starbucks for a decaf latte, if contains dairy.
I would not be able to drink coffee at all without it since the plant milk/creamers do not have the neutralizing effect that dairy has.

At home I use a coffee sub and plant creamer. I still love coffee but my stomach will not tolerate it as a regular thing.....so sad.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:10 PM   #40
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
Coffee - I love it! Drinking it without dairy has been a challenge, and about a year ago I found something that sort of worked for me. I got these YooHoo Chocolate Drink Mix singles at Rite Aid! Nothing but a bunch of chemicals I guess, but there's something in it that moderates the coffee just enough, and I like the sweetness and touch of chocolate flavor it gives the coffee, yum.

BUT....I can't find it anywhere anymore! I think they stopped making it. I wrote to the YooHoo company and they said they had sold the production rights to another company, but that company never responded to my email. When I noticed they were no longer stocking it at my local Rite Aid, I raided all the Rite Aids in my area, and also in Virginia Beach where I went on vacation, so I have a bit of a stash but when it's gone, I'm gonna need to find something. All of the non-dairy stuff has a lot of oil which is a dilemma. I've tried all of the alternative creamers and don't care for any of them. Wish I could learn to like the coffee just black, but I don't.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:39 PM   #41
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, I loved black, dark roast coffee but it will give me a gastritis flare so it's a no go.

I used to go to Starbucks every morning but now it's just every once in a while and I just don't think about it most of the time. BUT I am happier with coffee, even if decaf, than with alternatives.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:59 PM   #42
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

penguinpower,
I noticed some yahoo chocolate drink singles on that famous auction site. It was something like $30 for 36 pkts...sounded expensive to me, but maybe not?
Old 09-09-2017, 07:50 PM   #43
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
I was a vegetarian for several years when I as younger - and now, after 18 years of maintaining within a 5 pound range on a clean / low carb diet (and 57 years old), I'm healthier and happier, ideal blood pressure, on no meds, and it keeps my blood sugar level. I was always hungry on a vegetarian diet, got sick more often and it was harder to work out. For me, low carb has been the ideal long-term solution.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #44
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds like you've found what works for you, Casey.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:46 PM   #45
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
I looked at that famous online auction site Nigel - hahahaha, maybe I should list my stash of Yoo Hoo and take a trip to Hawaii with the proceeds.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:52 AM   #46
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hahaha, penguinpower--that's not a bad idea.

Hi Casey, good to see you here. Please come back and visit anytime.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:07 AM   #47
Jennyl
Blabbermouth!!!

It's not going well....I'm eating cheese
Old 09-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #48
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Jenny no worries. You have to do what works for you. Forcing yourself to do any woe is just a recipe for failure.

WFPB works for me because I love the food and don't miss anything but at the same time nothing is off limits.....I just don't have cravings anymore so it's easy and guilt free.

This is obviously not going to be everyone's experience.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #49
Debbieleigh
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debbieleigh
Quote:
I am doing plant based right now too..
Feeling really good

have you seen *ripple*
it is a pea protein drink

doesn't taste like much but i put it in my morning smoothie
Debbieleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #50
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
It's not going well....I'm eating cheese
Me too.
Don't beat yourself up about it, ok.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:55 PM   #51
Debbieleigh
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Me too.
Don't beat yourself up about it, ok.
what part do you find tough?
Old 09-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #52
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbieleigh View Post
what part do you find tough?

Dairy products and mostly cheese.

I am getting used to using the Daiya cheese, but I don't know if its totally plant based or not.

I have tried some vegan sour cream and cream cheese and I didn't care for them. I don't mind a couple of brands of vegan mayo, but I forget the brand names until I see them in Sprouts. (I know that isn't dairy, but thinking about the eggs in regular mayo.)

I like most of the plant based milks as I never liked regular milk anyway.

Otherwise, I find it easy when I have time to cook. There are a few things I use all the time like faux meat products, but they may not be totally plant based either unless I make my own, which I really don't have time to do right now.

Honestly, I do feel better when I don't eat cheese. It has been my main protein staple for years, so I am working on weaning myself off of it.

I see pics of what people make on FB and I wonder if they just cook all day to make so many varieties of veggies for one meal..or if its leftovers from the whole week?

I love veggies and I always have so plant based is a good WOE for me, if I can just stay away from the dairy.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:09 PM   #53
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

A lot of plant base people batch cook one day weekly....prepping raw salad stuff too.
I don't bother because I'm retired but if I was still working I would be batching for sure.

Some of the faux cheese recipes look really good. I may get around to trying them. They look easy.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #54
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I used to cook a lot on Sundays when I did strictly low carb and I ate a lot of meat back then, so I had the oven going, the convection oven going, the microwave, and the bbq. While everything was cooking, I cut up veggies to eat or cook later during the week.

I don't recall why I stopped prepping that way. It sure was easier to make a stir fry when all the veggies were cut up already.

I have to prioritize cooking and prepping. Most of the time, I'm busy doing other projects on Sunday.

The faux cheeses and cheese sauces sound and look good to me too. I have nutritional yeast also, but haven't ever tried it.

I have been perusing the vegetarian recipes for the instant pot and have to get used to using it. And I need to dig out the crock pot as I use that a lot during the winter. I should use it during the summer, but I forgot about it this year. lol
Old 09-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #55
Debbieleigh
Major LCF Poster!

I used to batch cook when i worked too

Not working right now so i have time to cook everyday and prep
Old 09-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #56
Debbieleigh
Major LCF Poster!

Nigel..

Ripple is
dairy free
soy free
nut free
gluten free
and lactose free
0 carb

Can use it like any milk..i started putting it in my coffee instead of 1/2 n 1/2
Old 09-29-2017, 11:59 AM   #57
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the info, Debbieleigh.
I will look for it.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #58
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Today is my birthday and I baked myself Dreena Burton's Chocolate Sweet Potato Cake.
Only a few changes; agave in place of maple syrup and erythritol in place of coconut sugar. I also used different flour then baked in muffin top pan.
It tastes so decadent and super chocolaty. I'll be making it again for sure.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:47 AM   #59
dazygyrl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dazygyrl

i really do like the idea of trying to eat more plant based. my gut prefers cooked veggies...i know that raw is best, but i struggle to eat gobs of raw veggies. are there many on here that eat mostly cooked veggies?

also, when i read someone say 'i eat LOADS of veggies'....what does that mean exactly? are you eating the same veggies over and over?

what's your trick to eating LOADS of veggies? and what kinds of veggies?
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #60
Debbieleigh
Major LCF Poster!

I have had a couple of dental surgery's so some of the really hard raw veggies are not so good for me.I guess i mostly eat cooked veg but i do eat large amounts and I love big salads.