Old 01-14-2018, 07:52 AM   #1
Kellymarie65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kellymarie65
Stats: 152-148.8-138 & tone-5'7" tall
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 07/2001
Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker

I have a friend who is recommending the use of a pressure cooker. I have never used one.
It seems she is able to cook foods very quickly which would be great for me and my family.
Anyone here use one on a regular basis?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #2
Jokath1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jokath1
I use my instant pot nearly everyday. Its much faster and outs safe to use.
Jokath1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #3
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
All the time. LOVE my Instant Pot. I have a stovetop pressure cooker and another 8 quart digital electric pressure cooker, but the Instant Pot is the one I pull out every time.

There is a thread on the Recipes Help forum with recipes and such:

http://lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showth...ght=instantpot

There are also TONS of recipes online, just do a Google search for "instant pot recipes" and you'll find all kinds of hints, tips, recipes etc.

It's one of my very favorite kitchen gadgets, and I have lots of them (they don't call me "The Gadget Gal" for nothing) - once you use it a few times and get used to it, you'll love it. You can't make better hard-cooked eggs, I do a dozen at a time for 3 minutes at high pressure, then quick-release and plunge into ice water. DH likes his HB eggs with a softer center and these come out perfectly for him. Just dark yellow, not runny or anything, but not cooked long enough to get that gray/green ring around the yolk, which he hates.

Beans are SO simple, I can do a pot of beans using 1 pound of soaked-overnight Borlottis, pintos, blackeyed peas etc. in less than 25 minutes cook time. It does take a little time to come up to pressure and it takes another 20 minutes or so for the pressure to naturally release, but really, how else can you cook a pot of beans in an hour? And caveat on that, I'm maintenance level carbs so beans are occasionally on the menu for us!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
Kellymarie65
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the link! I just bought one and am looking forward to using it. I think it will help me have food ready much easier.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:40 AM   #5
theredhead
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/158/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Instant Pot has a great Facebook group, with a lot of recipes and troubleshooting help. I think there is even another group for low carbing with Instant Pot. I love mine!
DH has lost 90 pounds
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:05 AM   #6
Kellymarie65
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhead View Post
Instant Pot has a great Facebook group, with a lot of recipes and troubleshooting help. I think there is even another group for low carbing with Instant Pot. I love mine!
Mine is due to arrive Wednesday. Excited to get it. I found a few FB pages dedicated to low carb Instant Pot.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #7
Charski
Gadget Gal

Once you get past the learning curve (and it's not a steep one, IMHO) you'll be lovin' that thang! Just follow the directions exactly for your first couple experiments (I think they suggest doing just water in it the first time so you get the hang of it??) and you'll be cooking up lots of great stuff in a hurry. Literally.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
SpikersMom
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SpikersMom
Stats: 180 highest ever/161/145
WOE: limit AS/Fung fasting/being mindful
Start Date: 6/27/2016
I made some chili today in mine. So good and pretty quick!
Old 01-15-2018, 03:41 PM   #9
Iwantlessofme
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Melting/Down 0 sizes/ alot to go!
WOE: Low-carb, no sugar
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
I absolutely love, love, love mine, and use it all the time.

A couple of things of nothing more than friendly advice, #1 Never let a child open the pot after it has cooked. #2 Open away from your face, every single time. #3 Do not overfill the Instant Pot, which can vary depending on the type of food being cooked. #4 Read the manual, there is good information in it. #5 Open the lid slowly after you release the steam to allow any further pressure to dissipate while opening. #6 Come here and share your Instant Pot Low Carb Meals .

There have been a few recent reports of people being hurt by them, I myself have never had an issue. One let a small child stand over it while opening it and the contents were still somewhat pressurized and the other admittedly said she opened it with her face over the pot.

Hope these help! You are going to love it once you get the hang of it. Meals in minutes, gotta love it!

Mindy
Old 01-16-2018, 07:11 AM   #10
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I also LOVE my instant pot and use it regularly. Not only does it cook foods quickly, it also makes them better than using an oven/stove top. Super great chicken, soups, stews, h.b. eggs, yogurt, broth, cottage cheese, and on and on. It is also easy on the electricity. I am such a fan that I bought each of my children one for Christmas.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #11
Kellymarie65
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikersMom View Post
I made some chili today in mine. So good and pretty quick!
I love the shortened time for chili!
Old 01-17-2018, 05:31 PM   #12
feverpitchfiasco
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: feverpitchfiasco
I love my IP so much. I've been curious about them, and then visited my sister who extolled its virtues so much I bought myself one... And then I extolled its virtues so much my best friend bought one! Hers is named Scott and mine is Alton (for Scott Conant/Alton Brown, our favorite Food Network people. We're big ole dorks lol).

Just last week I cooked off a $6 whole chicken. Picked the meat, and then made broth with the carcass. I got 5 meals out of it, plus some to share with the cats who are now my best friends, and a big batch of bone broth to stick in the freezer for a rainy day.

I need to find a good pasta alternative, or save it for mega cheat days... But the best mac and cheese I've ever had was made using my IP. There are plenty of LC IP recipes I want to try.
feverpitchfiasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:08 AM   #13
Kellymarie65
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feverpitchfiasco View Post
I love my IP so much. I've been curious about them, and then visited my sister who extolled its virtues so much I bought myself one... And then I extolled its virtues so much my best friend bought one! Hers is named Scott and mine is Alton (for Scott Conant/Alton Brown, our favorite Food Network people. We're big ole dorks lol).

Just last week I cooked off a $6 whole chicken. Picked the meat, and then made broth with the carcass. I got 5 meals out of it, plus some to share with the cats who are now my best friends, and a big batch of bone broth to stick in the freezer for a rainy day.

I need to find a good pasta alternative, or save it for mega cheat days... But the best mac and cheese I've ever had was made using my IP. There are plenty of LC IP recipes I want to try.
Thanks! My pot arrived yesterday. I haven't had a chance to try it. My husband is checking it out today. Excited to have something that cooks quickly as I have such a busy schedule and this means less waste also.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #14
Charski
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellymarie65 View Post
Thanks! My pot arrived yesterday. I haven't had a chance to try it. My husband is checking it out today. Excited to have something that cooks quickly as I have such a busy schedule and this means less waste also.
Keep in mind that for some things, you may not save a lot of time because it takes it a while to come up to pressure, then unless it's a quick-release, it takes it a while to lose enough pressure to open the top. For example the beans I make in there probably take a total of a little over an hour - about 10 minutes or so to come up to pressure (for a pound of beans plus enough liquid to cover), 25 minutes or so to cook, another 25 or so to drop the pressure naturally. Which is still shorter than cooking them on the stovetop for hours, but not a "fast" recipe. I don't do most veggies in mine because it takes them longer to heat up, cook, and cool down than it takes me to cook them by some other method.

Some things are well worth it though even if they DO take as long as a stovetop cook because it provides superior results. Many things take far less time than they would if cooked by other methods, like bone broth for example.

Just so you don't have unrealistic expectations!

Old 01-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #15
handbells
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
WOE: it's complicated
Start Date: today!
I have five pressure cookers (2 medium stove top, 1 small stove top, and a large cooker/canner) and an electric one. I use my large cooker/canner the most, but that's because I have a large family. I love it!! I use my electric one the most after that, but mainly for rice and hard boiled eggs. If it were just me to cook for, I'd probably use it a lot more.

Enjoy yours!

"Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!" (journal)

"Humankind is simply materialized color operating on the 49th vibration."
handbells is offline   Reply With Quote