Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2017, 04:07 AM   #1
Avicenna
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Still shopping for one that fits
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD Feb-Dec 2012)
Gastric balloon?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this.

I am feeling very frustrated because I recently had another spurt of weight gain and am now above my original weight when I joined LCF! I've gone back to induction/VLC but I am still gaining weight. I'm on thyroid medicine and my doctor said my thyroid hormone levels are fine. I tried also getting a really good quality liquid probiotic to see if that helps.

Ideally, I'd like to find out what is causing this (for me, weight comes in spurts, not slow and steady gain)...but, meanwhile, I am feeling desperate and looked into options for weight loss surgery. It seems like a gastric balloon is fairly non-invasive.

However, I am hesitant to pursue this - apart from the cost, I don't REALLY want a piece of plastic in me. Also, I know someone who died due to complications from weight loss surgery, and I have a strong memory of her funeral where her kids and grandkids were all sitting around sobbing, with the unspoken question "Was that REALLY necessary?"

I am thinking of giving it another week or so to see if my weight drops a little due to VLC before pursuing this.

Anyone tried this - any thoughts?
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
Maryposa

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG - Gluten and Egg Allergies
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Hi there, sorry you haven't gotten any responses. I don't know anyone who has had this procedure. I have VSG. From what I understood the balloon is temporary.

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:55 AM   #3
Avicenna
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Still shopping for one that fits
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD Feb-Dec 2012)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Hi there, sorry you haven't gotten any responses. I don't know anyone who has had this procedure. I have VSG. From what I understood the balloon is temporary.
Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!

It's something I'm thinking about even if I am able to stabilize my weight and lose some, because by now I have quite a bit to lose.

Take care
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #4
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/199.5/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
My first question is, are you on any medications that could be contributing to your weight gain? I ask, because one of my diabetes meds is known to cause weight gain and I consider that a contributing factor to my struggle to lose.

I have thought about WLS at times when the going got tough, but realize, it is a tool. It still requires work on your part. Cravings can continue, and if you're not careful, you can manipulate your eating to the point of still gaining after surgery. And sometimes you are required to lose some weight before the surgery to show that you are serious and able to work the program they are giving you.

Maybe you need to get a full physical to see if there's something other than thyroid going on.

I wish you only good things, and hope you think this through carefully.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:28 AM   #5
davisdanes
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: davisdanes
Do they still do the balloon? It was not even an option at my surgeon's office. I had the sleeve, leaving all of my organs where God intended...lol. I don't regret at all my decision, it has been a life saver for me. Just before I had my surgery I gained, gained, gained, it did not matter what I did, I was exercising like a crazy person, even did an all liquid diet, my surgeon explained I was insulin resistant which could be controlled through weight loss and exercise, but for some reason it was not happening for me, this is why I finally decided to actually have the surgery. Good luck to you.
davisdanes is offline   Reply With Quote