Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-29-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
That Girl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Metformin vs generic Metformin

My insurance company has decided to not cover Metformin for diabetics any longer. The generic, Glucophage (spelling?) might be available instead. Since I get the ER Metformin, they are telling me it should be the same. They think! What? How can they not know if the substitute works the same way? Anybody here take the generic of Metformin? For the record, I always thought the Metformin Was the generic of Glucophage.....Now I am scared to take it! Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2017, 03:29 PM   #2
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Isn't this something you should discuss with the prescribing doctor?

I had a similar situation with a different Rx, and my doctor was able to obtain an
'exception' for me to continue receiving my regular Rx.

I don't know whether that's possible in your situation, but your doctor would be best to know what to prescribe if your insurance company will not cover what you're taking.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:17 PM   #3
Jalto2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jalto2
Metformin is generic Glucophage. Metformin is also available in extended release, which is what I take for my diabetes. I have Medicare and before that I had United Health Care. They both have paid for the metformin ER 500mg tablets with no problems. Metformin works just like glucophage, and works for my diabetes.
Jean

Last edited by Jalto2; 09-29-2017 at 06:20 PM..
Jalto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
Glucophage is the brand name; Metformin is the generic, so I'm not sure what's going on with your insurance company. It makes no sense that they aren't covering Metformin any longer as it's one of the cheapest meds on the market. In fact, I believe Walmart fills the prescription for free (not sure about the ER version though); you don't even have to go through your insurance company. Having said that, it is possible that your insurance company doesn't want to cover the ER version of Metformin, even though it's also a generic. As far as the ER version, in my experience the only dosage that I've found is covered by insurance companies is the 500 mg. DH is supposed to take 2000mg per day, so he just gets the 500mg ER and takes four per day.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
That Girl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
Glucophage is the brand name; Metformin is the generic, so I'm not sure what's going on with your insurance company. It makes no sense that they aren't covering Metformin any longer as it's one of the cheapest meds on the market. In fact, I believe Walmart fills the prescription for free (not sure about the ER version though); you don't even have to go through your insurance company. Having said that, it is possible that your insurance company doesn't want to cover the ER version of Metformin, even though it's also a generic. As far as the ER version, in my experience the only dosage that I've found is covered by insurance companies is the 500 mg. DH is supposed to take 2000mg per day, so he just gets the 500mg ER and takes four per day.
Ronnie, thanks for the info. That's the dosage I take also....I just found out the problem is I get the Metformin that has OSM....it has to do with the way the body dissolves it they said....insurance won't cover it if it's the OSM one....ok, fast forward 2 weeks later now, nurse told me they will prescribe Metformin ER, No OSM, 500 mgs, four per day.....waiting, waiting, waiting for the delivery, they finally called Friday and said all they rec'd from doc was a blank piece of paper with my name on it! What??? So aggravated with the whole shebang! Calling my doc, once again, the 5th time to try and get it right.....ugh! Thanks
Old 10-08-2017, 02:25 PM   #6
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry about the issues with getting your script. It should not happen! I'm not familiar with OSM. Can you elaborate? Good luck with getting your Metformin ER ��
Old 10-08-2017, 07:02 PM   #7
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/190.5/175 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
This information I found on Google could be wrong, but it sounds like Metformin OSM is just Metformin ER.

Fortamet is the OSM metformin product. So what does OSM stand for?

OSM stands for osmotic release. Fortamet (and its generic equivalents) use single-composition osmotic technology. When you swallow the tablet, water is taken up through the membrane of the pill, which in turn dissolves the drug in the core so it can exit through the laser drilled ports in the membrane. The rate of drug delivery is constant, and will continue as long as there is undissolved drug present in the core tablet. Once the drug is dissolved, the delivery slowly decreases and eventually stops.

Does Fortamet have a generic?

Yes: metformin ER (24 hour extended release) tablets.

The same site says there if a different kind that I have never heard of.

Fortamet and Glumetza are both extended release metformin options, but because the way they release metformin over time is different, they aren’t equivalent to each other.

Glumetza is the MOD metformin product. So what does MOD stand for?

MOD stands for modified release. Glumetza utilizes advanced polymer delivery technology known as AcuForm® (for the 500 mg tablet) and Smartcoat® (for the 1000 mg tablet). It delivers the metformin to the site of absorption, the duodenum, over a time span of 8 – 9 hours. The tablet then remains in the stomach for an extended period until all of the active drug is released.

Does Glumetza have a generic?

No. Glumetza does not currently have a substitutable generic equivalent.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung

Last edited by PACarolsue; 10-08-2017 at 07:05 PM..
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:08 AM   #8
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Carol, thank you for that information. I had no idea of any of that.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:14 PM   #9
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 11 years.
Don't worry about any change in your insurance for getting your metformin. Just bypass them, and fill your scrip for metformin ER at Walmart. You can either opt for a 30 day fill for $4 or a 90 day supply for $10, all independent of your health coverage. Far less than most all insurance copays, anyway. Also applies to straight metformin, and many other meds, including diabetes meds. Just google "Walmart $4 prescription list" to check if any of your meds are on that list. It saves beaucoup $$ in the course of the year.

Your profile doesn't say where you live. Here in FL, Publix fills metformin for FREE! They also do that for most antibiotics. We were in Wimngton, NC recently, and saw a Publix that far north, so they're not just in FL. If you have a Publix near you that has a pharmacy, you might want to head there for your metformin. But if not, Walmart is a good second choice.