Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Celiac / Gluten-Free
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Forum Jump
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 08:50 AM   #1
Maryposa
Moderator
 
Maryposa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,088
Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG - Gluten and Egg Allergies
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Celiac, allergies and my diet - no gluten, dairy, coffee, eggs....????

I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease. I seem to also have an issue with dairy and maybe even coffee... casein and coffee both apparently have similar structures to gluten so even though I was low carb (naturally less gluten) that explains why I've had stomach cramps every morning for the past year or two.

It so frustrating, since I'm also allergic to egg protein, how restricted my diet is now.

Plus, I do have T2 diabetes on both sides of my family so I'm low carb and trying not to allow potato, rice, corn.

Maybe I need to do a Paleo diet????

Anyone else who can relate?
__________________


10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #2
GME
Big Yapper!!!!
 
GME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CA Coast
Posts: 8,303
Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Oh yikes. I have been off gluten for years now, and an allergy panel showed reactions to eggs and dairy.

I don't have much advice because although I have cut back on all of the above, I haven't managed to do away with all of them.

Meat and vegetables are left, which you can certainly live just fine on, it is the convenience factor for me.

Good luck.
__________________
Gina
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:15 AM   #3
Avicenna
Senior LCF Member
 
Avicenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 544
Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Still shopping for one that fits
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD Feb-Dec 2012)
Sorry to hear that! Maybe it's a good time to use the old adage of "think of what you CAN eat" and make the most of it. And also, to think of all the healthy things you'll be eating!

I can relate somewhat. I'm moderately allergic to cow dairy and coffee, and couldn't have them for years. However, as I've gotten older, I've found that I have a tolerance to some kinds of coffee (especially when consumed infrequently), and I can eat other dairy products (goat butter or yogurt, buffalo cheese, sheep cheese), although the down side is that they are much more expensive.

There are lots of great paleo recipes out there!
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
Maryposa
Moderator
 
Maryposa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,088
Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG - Gluten and Egg Allergies
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Thanks for the responses! Gina, why did you decide to go gluten free?
My issue is I get "free" (provided) lunches at work and I have no idea if the meats are coated in flour or marinated in soy sauce. The restaurants are supposed to list the gluten and dairy but I think they are pretty lazy about it, honestly. For example, Chinese food one day... they didn't list egg roles or some of the stuff which to me obviously had soy. So, I have been sticking with salad, with dressings I don't particularly care for, and I am already tired of that. :/
__________________


10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #5
Maryposa
Moderator
 
Maryposa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,088
Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG - Gluten and Egg Allergies
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
Sorry to hear that! Maybe it's a good time to use the old adage of "think of what you CAN eat" and make the most of it. And also, to think of all the healthy things you'll be eating!

I can relate somewhat. I'm moderately allergic to cow dairy and coffee, and couldn't have them for years. However, as I've gotten older, I've found that I have a tolerance to some kinds of coffee (especially when consumed infrequently), and I can eat other dairy products (goat butter or yogurt, buffalo cheese, sheep cheese), although the down side is that they are much more expensive.

There are lots of great paleo recipes out there!
I agree.... however I think I need to ease up on some other things in my diet in order to tighten down on these without feeling like I am really not able to eat anything... for example, maybe I will try adding in some more starchy veggies which I hadn't allowed before, and maybe a bit (not a LOT) more natural sugars? I dunno...
__________________


10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #6
GME
Big Yapper!!!!
 
GME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CA Coast
Posts: 8,303
Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Thanks for the responses! Gina, why did you decide to go gluten free?
My issue is I get "free" (provided) lunches at work and I have no idea if the meats are coated in flour or marinated in soy sauce. The restaurants are supposed to list the gluten and dairy but I think they are pretty lazy about it, honestly. For example, Chinese food one day... they didn't list egg roles or some of the stuff which to me obviously had soy. So, I have been sticking with salad, with dressings I don't particularly care for, and I am already tired of that. :/
I decided to gluten free when a friend's doctor told her she should. I had all of the same symptoms, so I figured I would try it with her. I felt tons better. I "deflated" a dress size, and even a shoe size. The rosacea I had been battling for years cleared up. No more indigestion.

At first, I was very sensitive to getting "glutened," but I am much less so now. I wouldn't sit down to pancakes or pasta, but I stopped worrying about a little flower in a coating or sauce. I was never diagnosed with celiac though.
__________________
Gina
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #7
Maryposa
Moderator
 
Maryposa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,088
Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG - Gluten and Egg Allergies
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I decided to gluten free when a friend's doctor told her she should. I had all of the same symptoms, so I figured I would try it with her. I felt tons better. I "deflated" a dress size, and even a shoe size. The rosacea I had been battling for years cleared up. No more indigestion.

At first, I was very sensitive to getting "glutened," but I am much less so now. I wouldn't sit down to pancakes or pasta, but I stopped worrying about a little flower in a coating or sauce. I was never diagnosed with celiac though.
Thanks for sharing your experience

I've been on daily nexium for SEVEN years. I think I'm going to be able to go off of it now I've been tapering down since I cut all gluten and dairy
__________________


10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:38 AM   #8
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
cfine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 3,853
Gallery: cfine
Stats: 280/213
WOE: eating from the animal kingdom
Start Date: April 2012
Just wanted to chime in and see how you are doing on your gluten free diet. My husband was diagnosed with celiac several years ago. He now takes no acid reducers(his GI told him he would have to take it for life.) He didn't realize how bad he felt until he compltely stopped the gluten. I finally then convinced him to go LC and he lost 20 pounds.

Even though sometimes he gets upset that he can't eat certain foods, we are both grateful in a way that he got the diagnosis because we know that we can't eat like most people and it keeps both of us from eating things we shouldn't. I'm certainly not going to eat something in front of him that he can't eat so it works out well.
__________________
Do or don't do, there is no try-Yoda

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:31 AM   #9
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!
 
PACarolsue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Steeler Country
Posts: 1,842
Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/199.5/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I'm certainly not going to eat something in front of him that he can't eat so it works out well.
That is so considerate of you! Want to give my DH some lessons? LOL
__________________
Carol
PACarolsue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #10
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
cfine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 3,853
Gallery: cfine
Stats: 280/213
WOE: eating from the animal kingdom
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:
That is so considerate of you! Want to give my DH some lessons? LOL
Well, I know how it feels so I try not to do it. My hubby tries to do the same for me. He's a keeper for sure.
__________________
Do or don't do, there is no try-Yoda

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:34 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2017 Netrition, Inc. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Netrition, Inc.