Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-20-2017, 05:07 AM   #1
LisaJane
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaJane
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 03/01/17
scale=Simply Creating A Low Esteem-Ignore!-those numbers are beneath you, literally!

My crazy rant for the day after seeing no movement on the scale. Wasn't scheduled to weight in, but thought I'd give it a try. Had to remind myself to stay focused on what matters... better fitting clothes, better mood, healthy eating. Happy Spring low carb peeps!
LisaJane is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2017, 05:47 AM   #2
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I understand what you're saying, but for me scale = effective maintenance.

I would not ever risk regular weighing because it's far too easy to lose control of weight management without that accountability.

It's what's helped me maintain my loss for the past 8 years.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:55 AM   #3
renogeorge
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: renogeorge
Stats: 286/210/190 6'1''
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 03/10/02
I agree with you, LisaJane. It can be very frustrating to not see the scale move. A lot of the successes we have are in the way our clothes fit, better health, and feeling better all around. Leo41 is also right about accountability for maintenance. I try to focus on feeling my best because that is my motivation for eating this way.
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:06 AM   #4
enemysugar
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: enemysugar
Stats: 278/163/160
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 25th 2017
LisaJane....

The scale will move, You have thrown your body a loop and you will have to wait for it to catch up. You are forcing it to give up fat and it does not like being backed into a corner. It does what all of us would do, it fights back. Please don't get discouraged, It will be worth the wait when you see those pounds start coming off. Keep fighting, You're Worth It!!!!!
enemysugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:23 AM   #5
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
If you understand how the scale works you can use it as a useful tool.

Numbers should have nothing to do with one's self-esteem.

Time after time You’re my refuge; You heal every scar, You’re guarding my heart.
Your promise, the hope that I cling to; My rescue, my friend, You come rushing in.
You surround me on every side; Your love is my armor, I fear no evil.
Darkness runs from Your light So I won’t be afraid.
You’re going before me and oceans are parting; You’re fighting my battles
When my feet are failing and my heart is shaking You’re fighting my battles.
~ The Afters - Battles
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 AM   #6
enemysugar
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: enemysugar
Stats: 278/163/160
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 25th 2017
That was a Beautiful Post. Thank You, Diamond Deb
enemysugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #7
LisaJane
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post

I would not ever risk regular weighing because it's far too easy to lose control of weight management without that accountability.

I hear you and I'm so glad you practice what works for you! I have never been a good dieter. I was always someone who just worked it off with a long run or some other activity. But my life changed a lot since those olds days. Have 3 kids, never stopped working full time and have a life full of other commitments. With my recent attempts at dieting, I was letting the scale frustrate me. Had to face the fact that I needed to learn a new way of measuring my success. That's all my post was about
Old 03-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #8
LisaJane
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
I agree with you, LisaJane. It can be very frustrating to not see the scale move. A lot of the successes we have are in the way our clothes fit, better health, and feeling better all around. Leo41 is also right about accountability for maintenance. I try to focus on feeling my best because that is my motivation for eating this way.
I will continue to weigh in, but I'll also take measurements. I know this is a marathon, not a sprint
Old 03-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #9
LisaJane
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemysugar View Post
LisaJane....

The scale will move, You have thrown your body a loop and you will have to wait for it to catch up. You are forcing it to give up fat and it does not like being backed into a corner. It does what all of us would do, it fights back. Please don't get discouraged, It will be worth the wait when you see those pounds start coming off. Keep fighting, You're Worth It!!!!!
Thank you! I am so glad I found this forum. Soooo many kind people, kind words and inspiring stories! I can't go wrong
Old 03-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #10
LisaJane
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
If you understand how the scale works you can use it as a useful tool.

Numbers should have nothing to do with one's self-esteem.
My feelings exactly, but it did take a little reminding this morning
Old 03-20-2017, 02:57 PM   #11
Baylor
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baylor
WOE: Atkins's 72-DANDR
Start Date: 1/18/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post

I think in maintenance it is important but not as important or gospel in the dieting phases.
Baylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #12
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 1/25/17
Keep in mind, once fat is released from those cells, those cells are replaced with water. After a time, that water will release and you will see that loss on the scale. That being said, you may still have fat loss and your body composition has changed, for the better.

Last edited by Rosebud; 03-20-2017 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: grammar
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:42 AM   #13
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/165/155
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I always weigh. Some days, I feel like I would like to skip the scale but I don't because it is a bit of 'data' that I keep record of and helps me see the trend. Of course, it is the trend that really counts.

I understand that it can be disappointing and even surprising to see the scale not move down and even move up, despite all good efforts. It is good to remember that there is so much more involved in weight loss than just what is consumed. Keeping NSV in your mind is a great strategy!

This has become my motivation for staying the course. Eventually weight loss stops and there needs to be good reason to continue and those are all those things you listed and many, many more!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #14
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Avocado
Stats: 270/218/202
WOE: LC: Sept 2016
Start Date: Nov 2015
I weigh most days, and definitely on Mondays. One thing I have found that has helped is that my weight tracking app measures the statistical trend (a weighted moving average of the past few weeks) which means that the trend line is generally my weight on the day, so when I do have up-days on the scale, quite often the trend line will still show a fall. Obviously with too many up-days it's vice versa, but generally, it paints a positive picture of what is going on. I know that six months into this WOE I am less obsessed with the scale than I was.

226 225 224 . 223 222 221 220 219 218 . 217 216 215 214 213. 212 211 210 ... by Sept '17

Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:48 AM   #15
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 1/25/17
I weigh daily for the data points as well. I have an Excel spreadsheet where I enter daily weights and make notations i.e. IF, TOM and flow level, 6 weeks Keto, 8 weeks Keto, etc. I also have my macros which I update every 10 pounds lost. I track percentage lost, average and goal weight for the month. Since I'm in the mode of researching and discovering factors that impact my weight and health in general (IF, insulin resistance, leptin resistance), this is data that I find helpful for me when weights fluctuate while being useful information for doctors visits to help facilitate a productive discussion. Like others said, it is a tool for your advantage.

Last edited by Rosebud; 03-21-2017 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: grammar
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:48 PM   #16
LisaJane
Senior LCF Member

I started an Excel sheet to project how long it will take me to lose the weight at a reasonable pace. I plan to record my weight on the days I weigh in regardless of results. My new approach is to just not let the numbers rule me. The only number I *personally* need to focus on right now is my carb count. That said, I really do appreciate all the feedback and perspective from others. What's working for me now, might change in a few months so I'm keeping open-minded... Thanks all!
Old 03-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #17
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
LisaJane - I have been maintaining within a five pound range for over 17 years. Your posts reminded me of two important points - First, what works for you WlLL change over time! Age and repeated dieting makes it harder to lose as you get older. Second, once you reach your goal, the journey isn't over - you don't just go back to eating what everyone else eats, or the way you ate as you gained weight. You're training your body to burn fat for fuel instead of carbs - there is good science behind it.

Focus on what you CAN eat and not what you can't. It's a lifestyle.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote