Old 09-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #1
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/202/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Disappointing

I had the opportunity to order some magazines free of charge and one that I chose was Diabetes Self Management. What a waste. Glad I didn't pay for it. LOL Pretty much just an advertisement for Diabetes Meds.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2017, 07:29 AM   #2
susan46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susan46
Stats: 256/215/150
WOE: High fat, low carb, moderate protein
Start Date: April 2016
I can imagine. Plus, I bet they're not recommending any kind of healing diet such as low carb, either.

Don't want people to get better, ya know. I don't say "get cured", because the only permanent cure would be to say goodbye to the standard American diet and eat properly for the rest of their (and our) lives.
susan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:14 PM   #3
synger
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 288
WOE: IF, Calorie/carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I have leafed through many diabetic cookbooks, magazines, and books. The vast majority of them focused on medicine and exercise management, rather on food.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:17 AM   #4
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan46 View Post
I can imagine. Plus, I bet they're not recommending any kind of healing diet such as low carb, either.

Don't want people to get better, ya know. I don't say "get cured", because the only permanent cure would be to say goodbye to the standard American diet and eat properly for the rest of their (and our) lives.
Until recently, I've never used the word "cured" either, because I feel that one the beta cells are damaged, you have diabetes for life. However, after reading Dr Jason Fung, I am starting to believe that a cure is out there if you are willing to do very long term fasting. I believe him, but I cannot fast for days and days at a time. At least not so far.

To me, continuing a low carb diet is "control" not a "cure." To me, to be a cure, you would have to be able to eat a carb meal and have your blood sugar return to normal the way it does for a non diabetic.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:26 PM   #5
tulipsandroses
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan46 View Post

This is so frustrating to me as a health care provider. I'm an RN. Nursing is my second career. When I started this lifestyle I was still in nursing school. Now I'm working on being a nurse practitioner. I'll be finished next year. But with all the info that has come out over the last few years, backed by science - we are still pushing the ADA diet. Just last week in class they were actually telling us to discourage diabetic patients from doing Low Carb diets. I thought I was going to lose my mind in that class. As a nurse, that is not what I tell patients now and will never tell them that as a practitioner.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:16 AM   #6
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
This is so frustrating to me as a health care provider. I'm an RN. Nursing is my second career. When I started this lifestyle I was still in nursing school. Now I'm working on being a nurse practitioner. I'll be finished next year. But with all the info that has come out over the last few years, backed by science - we are still pushing the ADA diet. Just last week in class they were actually telling us to discourage diabetic patients from doing Low Carb diets. I thought I was going to lose my mind in that class. As a nurse, that is not what I tell patients now and will never tell them that as a practitioner.
I would love to know the reason for that. I know that the informational booklet I received when diagnosed with type 2 indicated that I should be eating 45 gm of carb at each meal and 15 gm at each of two daily snacks. And it stresses that it's important to have carbs at every meal so you keep your carbs "steady." I honestly don't believe that they do this only to satisfy the Pharmaceutical companies. But I would have to take so much medicine if I attempted to eat that way, and with low carb I need very little, and I feel so much better.

I am currently reading Diabetes Unpacked, and it is without a doubt the best book I've read for diabetics explaining the necessity of low carb eating.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #7
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
I believe the medical community has said that there seems to be a cure for Type 2 which is gastric bypass surgery. I recall reading that after this type of surgery, people not only lose weight but their hyperglycemia is cured and they no longer have to take diabetes meds or cut carbs. Read this a long time ago.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #8
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Ronnie-

It's not just gastric bypass surgery. My sister had the gastric sleeve procedure, primarily because of her diabetes. Even with 3 Rx, her blood glucose was out of control, and she was beginning to experience serious retinal problems. Yes, she was obese, but she only did the surgery because her doctor recommended it to 'help' with her diabetes.

Within 2 months, she had normal blood sugars with no Rx. She's now four years out, eats a variety of food, and maintains normal blood sugars.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #9
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Ronnie-

It's not just gastric bypass surgery. My sister had the gastric sleeve procedure, primarily because of her diabetes. Even with 3 Rx, her blood glucose was out of control, and she was beginning to experience serious retinal problems. Yes, she was obese, but she only did the surgery because her doctor recommended it to 'help' with her diabetes.

Within 2 months, she had normal blood sugars with no Rx. She's now four years out, eats a variety of food, and maintains normal blood sugars.
If I was very overweight and dealing with hyperglycemia, I would definitely have gastric sleeve assuming my insurance company would pay for it. I wish there was some type of surgery that's considered curative for low-to-normal weight people who have high blood sugar.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote