Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-11-2015, 05:20 AM   #751
trekker954
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: trekker954
Stats: 244/231/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 3, 2015
Hi, I'm looking forward to support from this group. My weights been up and down most of my adult life, but I'm determined to lose and keep it off. I consider myself a young 61. My health is good considering my weight, however, I should be more active.

So I lost 11 pounds this week, then got on the scale this morning and it shows up 1.5 lbs. WHAT?? I haven't cheated at all. So I'm asking myself, did I have enough carbs. My daily intake usually consists of eggs, cheese, protein. I mix together receipes that have heavy cream and vegetables. I try to add the veggies to get my carb iin, but maybe not enough.

I just reread the induction food list. I have bacon and quite a bit of cheese almost every day - maybe that is too much. Also I do have cold cuts at least every other day - is that too much. I really did not want to have to count carbs or calories; just follow the food list.

If bacon says 0 carbs on the nutritional label - whats the issue.. Same with my mini babybel cheese - label says 0 carbs.

it was very sad my weight went up. I had a goal set for mid march to be down another 25 pounds.
trekker954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2015, 07:19 AM   #752
Black Betty
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Black Betty
Stats: 180/164/145, 5'10"
WOE: Low-Carb, Gluten-Free
Start Date: August 2011
I've gained ten pounds this week. Part of it is from starting a new gym and temporary water weight from that. I decided to start going dairy-free yesterday (it's helped with ketosis in the past) and tested deep purple last night before bed. Great! Then I got McDonald's this morning, which is a few sausage patties and coffee. I realized halfway through my coffee that they put in cream for me even though I asked for it black. I hope this doesn't stall me. I really need to drop this water weight or I will have a breakdown.
Black Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:24 AM   #753
Kristopia
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kristopia
Stats: 320/245/160
WOE: Low-low carb
Start Date: May, 2011
Have spent a frustrated few weeks - stalled, then creeping up, for no apparent reason - I haven't upped carbs, I've been careful to avoid stalling foods. And yet, here I sit, slowly re-gaining every ounce I've lost on induction. I just don't get it.
Kristopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:40 AM   #754
lisa32989
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lisa32989
Stats: 275/165/150
WOE: DANDR then Ideal Protein
Start Date: 7/30/2012 for IP
I had to go on a more restrictive plan to lose weight. I was still eating too many calories on Atkins and just too much food. For induction, do it the "old fashioned" DANDR way, focusing on veggies & smaller meat portions. Cut out dairy and fake foods. Just salads, veggies, along with meats should do the trick.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:56 AM   #755
JoBaby53
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JoBaby53
WOE: low carb
Start Date: June 18, 2010
Help please I'm stuck on the fat roller coaster!

Hello,

I wanted to post before I totally change my WOE. I am at a loss, but not a loss of weight, sadly to say. Here's my story.

I started low carbing Jan. 1st. I had a great start and after 3 or 4 days, I saw the initial water weight loss of 4 lbs. Yay! What a motivator that was.

I continued my low carb WOE, hoping to see another loss - but that did NOT happen. The water weight I had lost returned. I was back at my initial starting weight.

I panicked a little, but decided to purchase the newest Atkins book to see where I might be going wrong. I have read and reread a lot of the book that pertains to me (not OWL or maintenance).

I want to post a normal day of meals to see if any of you have any suggestions before I change WOEs.

Breakfast: 2 black coffees w/ heavy cream and Truvia
2 eggs cooked in 1 pat of real butter

Lunch: 2-3 cups of iceberg lettuce
chicken OR a pork chop (cooked only in EVOO)
2 tbsps of Real Mayo (no soy) for the dressing

Dinner: 6 ounces of meat (steak w/fat or chicken w/skin)
vege.

The only snack I've ever had was pork rinds-and I've only done that a couple of times. I'm full and am not hungry, which is wonderful - BUT I am NOT losing at all.

In fact, today when I woke up I was 1.5 lbs above my starting weight. I am just about to throw in the towel and try another way of eating so I can lose some weight.

Here are some additional info about me, which will help (I hope).
I am 61 and female. I am post menopausal. I go to the gym 3 times a week (not enough I know) and when I'm there I walk (quickly 3.9 or 4) for 2.5 miles- then I do the circuit weight workout.

Also - I have taken a couple of measurements. I measured my upper arms and my waist. Nothing has changed there either. AND my clothes do NOT it any better - still snug in the waist.

I know I'm not as active any more, but I'm retired and I'm not chasing kids or running around doing errands like I used to have to do. I'm happy with my life, but sure wish after 19 days, I would see some sort of movement (in the down direction) on my scale.

All questions/suggestions are welcome! Thank you so much in advance. I don't wish this type of unsuccessful journey on anyone.

Frustrated!!!
Old 01-19-2015, 07:06 AM   #756
Black Betty
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Black Betty
Stats: 180/164/145, 5'10"
WOE: Low-Carb, Gluten-Free
Start Date: August 2011
I think maybe cut back on the heavy cream. Sometimes dairy can stall you. It stalls me for sure. I've been taking my coffee black. It's not as good, but it's worth making the switch.

I dropped five of the ten pounds that I gained last week. I took a few days off at the gym and tried a diuretic as well as cutting out dairy. I hope I continue to have good luck this week.
Black Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #757
lisa32989
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lisa32989
Stats: 275/165/150
WOE: DANDR then Ideal Protein
Start Date: 7/30/2012 for IP
JoBaby53:
I've had to concentrate more on veggies, as well.
I'm now making sure I have 4 servings veggies daily PLUS lettuce (which I don't count in my "veggies"). It really does make a difference for me.

Even Dr. Atkins said calories DO count. And they seem to count more for some of us than for others.

That is what seems to work for me.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:30 AM   #758
20by40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 20by40
Stats: 191/145/aimingfor130 (5ft1)
WOE: AS Atkins (NAFTNY), Now Macro Based
Start Date: April, 2015
Just a quick question, as a newbie on induction - do you eventually learn to like vegetables? Some I can tolerate, some I hate, but I am trying. I LOVE tomatoes, but they are not induction friendly. I also love squash but only with sugar, haha.
Is it true that your taste buds can change to like certain food items more?
I also really dislike white meat and fish - so hoping that changes . . . (?)
20by40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:45 PM   #759
fullhouse86
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fullhouse86
Sweet. Iv lost 11 pounds in 5 days
fullhouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:17 AM   #760
eraser51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eraser51
hey do you guys add fat?

or just eat meat with a bit fat?

I am stalled for 6 month and tried a lot in this time.. even adding carbs back in due to BB friends.. nothing worked.. wanted to start clean again

how can I get an appropiate fat amount and still lose?

do you eat more protein than fat? like 130 fat 130 protein or 130fat 150 protein?

do I need more protein for muscle building and can the body get fat from the body fat itself??
eraser51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #761
Low Carb Addict
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Low Carb Addict
Stats: 326/190/190
Start Date: April 1st 2015
Hello everyone I am new to the forum. And just wanted to share my experiences with stalls. I have been on strict induction for three and a half months now and lost 56 pounds so far. However I hit a stall roughly every three weeks where I can go a week or more without losing a pound. Suprisingly I found that feasting on pizza one evening then going back on induction the next day breaks the stall and I start losing weight again. I usually lose seven to ten pounds the week following the pizza eating.
Low Carb Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:50 AM   #762
cb83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cb83
Stats: 326.2/299.6/275
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 1.14.18
Bodybuilders and athletes etc do that to achieve the leanest possible bf percentage. Keto then refeed with carbs for certain periods of time usually 1~3 days. But it's usually low fat high carb moderate protein...
cb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:33 AM   #763
Low Carb Addict
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb83 View Post
Bodybuilders and athletes etc do that to achieve the leanest possible bf percentage. Keto then refeed with carbs for certain periods of time usually 1~3 days. But it's usually low fat high carb moderate protein...
Yes I have heard about carb cycling. That's why I tried the pizza thing.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:21 PM   #764
Low Carb Addict
Senior LCF Member

I was stalled at 270 pounds for about a week so yesterday I ordered a 16 inch thin crust pizza and ate 3/4 of it. Today I went back on induction and I already lost one pound and the ketostik still turns dark. I'll post back in several days with the change in weight.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:43 PM   #765
Ari
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ari
Stats: 256/253
WOE: Atkins Induction Phase
Start Date: 07/2015
Hi all...... I have been in Induction phase for about 3 weeks now and have only lost 3 lbs. At first i went a bit crazy with the heavy cream and I made the big mistake of eating cashews, But that all stopped at the end of the first week when I realized my mistake. I have been very careful and staying on track for the other 2 weeks but I dont seems to be getting anywhere. Any suggestions?? My patience is wearing thin and I wanna just give up....
Ari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:24 PM   #766
cb83
Senior LCF Member

Get enough protein, then add the fat. You still need a calorie deficit to lose weight though. Track your intake daily.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:53 PM   #767
Low Carb Addict
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Get enough protein, then add the fat. You still need a calorie deficit to lose weight though. Track your intake daily.
In the 2002 book Dr. Atkins said you don't need to count calories. I heard a guy claim he eats upwards of 4,000 a day on Atkins and still loses weight. I personally don't calories and still drop pounds. I just eat until I am satisfied but not stuffed like I used to when I was consuming carbs and sugar.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:34 PM   #768
cb83
Senior LCF Member

LIE 6 /// A BRAND NEW STUDY JUST PROVED THAT THE ATKINS DIET GIVES YOU A METABOLIC ADVANTAGE SO YOU REALLY CAN EAT AS MUCH AS YOU WANT
A 12 week study conducted by the Harvard School of Public Health and presented in October 2003 to the North American Association for the Study of Obesity found that subjects on a low carb regimen lost just as much weight as those on a standard high carb, low fat diet.

The shocking part was that the group on the Atkins diet could eat 300 more calories than the group eating the conventional high carb food pyramid diet. This left researchers scratching their heads saying:

"It doesn't make sense? it defies the laws of thermodynamics."

"A lot of our assumptions about a calorie is a calorie are being challenged,"

Unfortunately, some of the Atkins troops were quick to interpret the results as meaning, "See, I told you calories don't count."

Actually, calories do count and the explanation for these results is quite simple.

A calorie is NOT just a calorie. If all calories were created equal then a 2000 calorie diet of Krispy Creme doughnuts would have the same effect as a 2000 calorie diet of chicken breast and salad vegetables. Do you think these two diets will have the same effects on your health and body composition?

Certain foods and certain diets DO give you a metabolic advantage. One advantage is the effect of a diet's composition on your hormones; namely insulin and glucagon.

A second advantage is called the thermic effect of food. The thermic effect of food means that a certain number of calories are used just to digest and absorb the food, leaving a net calorie value substantially less than the total amount of caloric energy that was contained in the food.

For example, a lean protein food such as chicken breast has a thermic effect of around 20-30%. This means that for every 100 calories of chicken breast consumed, the NET energy utilized by the body is only 70-80 calories. (Some people call this "negative calories.")

Stated differently, this means you really CAN lose weight on a higher calorie intake if you eat foods with a high thermic effect.

What's especially interesting -providing confirmation of the metabolic advantage of a high protein diet - is that the foods provided in this study were low carb, but NOT typical Atkins fare. Instead of lots of red meat and saturated fat, the subjects in this particular study ate mostly fish, chicken, salads, vegetables and unsaturated oils.

I think the study's director, Penelope Green, hit the nail on the head when she said, "Maybe they (the low carb, high protein group) burned up more calories digesting their food."

Truth is, not one study has ever proven that you can "eat as much as you want" on Atkins or any diet. Even when a diet provides a metabolic advantage, AFTER that advantage is factored in and you look at NET calorie utilization, you are still left with the calories in versus calories out equation.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:46 PM   #769
cb83
Senior LCF Member

And I've been there. I lost 40+ lbs on Atkins style low carb. I've eaten 3 to 4000 calories per day, because I never get the diminished hunger that others usually get from eating highly satiating fat etc... Here I am back around 300lb, starting all over again. I may have slipped here and there but I have crazy willpower. I didn't go to McDonald for over a year, passed on countless birthday cakes and wedding cakes. Hell I really don't care for sweets anyway, I'd rather have some bacon.

I'm still low carb, but if there's one thing I know, it's not a magic diet. Calories do matter, and you should take breaks occasionally for your psychological health and so you don't kill your metabolism.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:25 PM   #770
Ari
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ari
Stats: 256/253
WOE: Atkins Induction Phase
Start Date: 07/2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Carb Addict View Post
In the 2002 book Dr. Atkins said you don't need to count calories. I heard a guy claim he eats upwards of 4,000 a day on Atkins and still loses weight. I personally don't calories and still drop pounds. I just eat until I am satisfied but not stuffed like I used to when I was consuming carbs and sugar.

Hi Low carb Addict;
I remember that version of atkins, i lost 60 lbs back in 2005 when i did that version of the diet, would eat like crazy... 8 eggs 1 whole slab of bacon(and that was just breakfast) and i lost the 60 lbs in 6 months.... I keep wondering why the diet changed??
Ari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #771
Low Carb Addict
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Hi Low carb Addict;
I remember that version of atkins, i lost 60 lbs back in 2005 when i did that version of the diet, would eat like crazy... 8 eggs 1 whole slab of bacon(and that was just breakfast) and i lost the 60 lbs in 6 months.... I keep wondering why the diet changed??
I think it changed because the establishment was too concerned about people not counting calories anymore. Even as recently as 2002 the whole low carb diet was something new and controversial. Nowadays it is pretty much accepted fact that carbs and sugar cause obesity. But for some reason they wanted to mold the diet into a more conventional approach. Personally I follow the 1970's and 2002 version and drop pounds, feel great, and don't count calories and today I realized I lost six more pounds!
Old 07-28-2015, 02:24 PM   #772
pinkytux
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pinkytux
Stats: 163/158/130
Start Date: May 2015
I am finally starting to lose...it was slow at first.

Mini Goals:
8/7 - 157 - Didn't meet
8/14 - 157
8/21 - 154
8/28 - 151
8/31 - 149 would be Awesome!
pinkytux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:39 AM   #773
lowcarbwars
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbwars
Stats: 212/205/130
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: July 2015
Not HUNGRY!!!

How am I supposed to lose weight on a low carb diet if I'm never hungry?!
I can't force myself to eat these things either because it just makes me feel sick and my throat closes up.

However, hand me bad food like chocolate or Pizza and I'm hungry suddenly. It's like my body just doesnt like healthy food at all... not sure what to do!!!
lowcarbwars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #774
cajungenes
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cajungenes
Starting Again

I first went on this eating plan when Dr. Atkins released his first book "The Diet Revolution" in the early 70's, before most of you were born...lol...I am a young looking 60. Over the years with different challenges I've managed to gain most of it back.

Atkins was the most successful plan I ever tried, and I basically followed it most of my adult life until the last 10 years or so. Now I am determined to re-gain my will power and re-lose the weight. The first time it was all about esthetics, now it's more about health and quality of life. ( and a little esthetics, too).

I guess I need to read the book again, I don't really remember how to do induction and "get purple" although I never did more than dark lavender.

Looking forward to being part of the forum.

cajungenes
cajungenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #775
MexicoMomma
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MexicoMomma
Food logs really help

My first posting, so I hope this is the right way. I did something stupid 3 days ago without knowing it, and haven't lost weight since. I think it's easy to take in hidden carbs by accident, for those of us not used to tracking carbs. I'd say, go start a food log, and you might be surprised. My stupid mistake was taking a 2/3 cup of plain yogurt as a fast breakfast...then found out it was 37 carbs! Before I did that, I was losing one pound a day on induction! I am bummed and don't know why I'm still not losing, but sticking with it, and will cut down on fat cals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianahk View Post
Hello all,

I am really sad,,, on Saturday April 29th and Sunday 30th I did a cleanse and decided to start Atkins on Monday May 1st. Today is May 21st and after 20 days my scale is not moving not even a lb. my clothes are not loose and I am losing hope.

I had a complete physical and my doctor said I should loose some weight it would help me with the back pain I have been experiencing. I have been watching not just the carbs but also the calories and NOTHING, the scale is not moving. I tried a fat fast for two days and it worked, I am in ketosis, after that I have been eating 20 or under 20 gr of carbs a day, but I cnnot understand why I am not losing.

It was my understanding that if I was in ketosis I would be losing even a lb a week,, but nothing,,, this is really disencourging,,, specially when I see other people eating pasta and drinking wine,,, and me on steak and water,,,,can someone help me with this,,, I am ready to quit!!!

My normal weight was 105-110.... due to lots of stress and complication, now I am 140, I am 5 feet tall,,, this is really difficult,, I know lots of people here have over 100 lbs to loose,,, but for me this is as hard,,, nothing fits me, and I have to do something about it.

Please help. Why I am not losing if I am on deep ketosis?

Adriana
MexicoMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #776
MexicoMomma
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MexicoMomma
About eating "all you want"

In a study by Duke University in recent times, in a blind study where one group was told to log their food but not to bother counting calories, the other one was on a different diet, both groups lost the same amount of weight. So they were puzzled and decided to back and count calories by using the food logs, and the people who were on Atkins and told to eat until they felt full, were eating fewer calories than the people on the other diet. They felt full because of the protein. A bowl of pasta or rice will fill you up, but you get hungry not too long after, where enough protein fills you up and sticks with you apparently. I've been keeping a food log, not purposely counting calories, but on the induction diet I really cannot eat much more than 800 calories. I also don't use artificial sweeteners because I think they might do something tricky to your body, like keep cravings for sweets going.

Quote:
And I've been there. I lost 40+ lbs on Atkins style low carb. I've eaten 3 to 4000 calories per day, because I never get the diminished hunger that others usually get from eating highly satiating fat etc... Here I am back around 300lb, starting all over again. I may have slipped here and there but I have crazy willpower. I didn't go to McDonald for over a year, passed on countless birthday cakes and wedding cakes. Hell I really don't care for sweets anyway, I'd rather have some bacon.

I'm still low carb, but if there's one thing I know, it's not a magic diet. Calories do matter, and you should take breaks occasionally for your psychological health and so you don't kill your metabolism.
MexicoMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #777
cb83
Senior LCF Member

I think protein is now more filling, even though I'm pretty sure fat should be at 9cal/gram. I'm eating 1200 or less calories per day right now of all lean protein basically, and I'm not near as hungry as Atkins style. And I'm back down almost 40lbs in roughly 40 days...
Old 08-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #778
Wishin' 2B thin
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wishin' 2B thin
Does anyone have help for the overwhelming feeling of being tired? I am taking a potassium supplement which does seem to help. I am 70 and do not want to feel exhausted all the time. Have lost 13 pounds in 3 weeks, so loving that and food is great. Thank you so much for any suggestions.
Wishin' 2B thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:16 AM   #779
Low Carb Addict
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishin' 2B thin View Post
Does anyone have help for the overwhelming feeling of being tired? I am taking a potassium supplement which does seem to help. I am 70 and do not want to feel exhausted all the time. Have lost 13 pounds in 3 weeks, so loving that and food is great. Thank you so much for any suggestions.
Are you taking a vitamin supplement?
Old 01-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #780
Lovnmthrhd
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lovnmthrhd
I am having major stalls. I have been on induction for 6 weeks and I'm so frusterated seeing the same number to the oz on the scale for a week! I am obsessed with keto strips and it freaks me out when I don't have a dark purple result. and mine vary from light pink to purple. I'm going to post a few days of my meals so maybe you can help me see what I'm doing wrong! Any help you can give me would be so appreciated! Thanks in advance!

day one:
1 avacado
1/4 c shredded cheese
2 c lettuce mix
5 black olives
5 large seared shrimp

day 2:
6 oz prime rib
5 stalks asparagus
2 c salad
10 pepperoni
bacon
1 hamburger patty
1 cheese stick

day 3:
mozzerella cheese stick
10 pepperoni
turkey bites
2 c salad
asparagus 1 serving
tilapia fillet
boiled egg

that's pretty much my cycle of eating! for the first little while i was not even hitting 1000 calories and was stuck around 8-10 carbs. lately i'm doing better calorie wise about 1500 and 15 carbs! Thank you for any help you can give!!
Lovnmthrhd is offline   Reply With Quote