Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-12-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SunnyKsGirl
Stats: 155/149/134 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb & Low Calorie
Start Date: June 2016
Ideas for Entertaining

We’re having friends to dinner Wednesday night, and I usually make a casserole of some type, that I can have preapared ahead of time, and not have to cook on the fly.

The other option I’m thinking of is making (Killer) Mashed Fauxtatoes, with some kind of meat I can maybe cook in the crockpot. I’m not particularly good cooking big hunks of meat, and sometimes my crockpot attempts with meat have been disappointing.

That’s the background situation. TIA for any ideas re: a casserole, or dependable ways to cook tasty meat. DH & I eat plenty of casseroles with pasta work-arounds, such as grated cauliflower and / or Shiritake noodles, but I’m not sure our guests would find them as wonderful as WE do!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
We really enjoy both of these recipes:

http://lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showth...cheesy+cabbage

http://lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showth...hlight=stuffed

I've made the cabbage one using a pound of browned bulk sausage and it's really hearty and delicious.

The JLSBP recipe is a wonderful side dish to roasted chicken, roast beef, or whatever you like - you can also punch that one up with the addition of shredded cooked chicken (I use a Costco rotisseried chicken) or browned ground beef or sausage.

My Mom, definitely NOT a low carber, asked me to make that JLSBP often. She loved it.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:20 AM   #3
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, Char - these both look DEE-lish!
Old 11-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #4
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

2 Tb mayonnaise
1/4 cup heavy cream
One 8 ounce container Philadelphia garlic and chive soft cream cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound diced ham (You can use deli ham and chop it coarsely)
2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced (You can sub 2 cups diced rotisserie chicken)
8 oz Gruyère or Swiss cheese, grated
A couple of dashes of dried thyme
Ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup chcken broth, or as needed to moisten
Crushed pork rinds for top, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix first three ingredients (use hand held mixer, if necessary) until well blended.

Add Parmesan, ham, chicken, Swiss/Gruyère and spices, and fold to coat everything completely with the sauce. If dry, moisten with a little chicken broth until creamy, but not runny.

Turn into a 9"x13" glass pan, sprinkle top with pork rinds for a bit of crunch if desired, and bake 25 minutes, or until top begins to turn golden. Cool for 5 minutes, slice, and serve.

May be constructed up until baking and refrigerated. If you do this, you will need an additional 10-15 minutes to bake it directly from them fridge. Leftovers reheat well in the micro.

Last edited by Baricat; 11-13-2017 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Baricat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:09 PM   #5
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Hmm...this looks good; I like the option to make ahead. What else would you serve with it? This sounds pretty rich, so would mashed Fauxtatoes be too much?

Another question: I'd like to make pumpkin custard, using Sukrin Brown sugar sub, which is erythritol. It makes THE best pumpkin custard, whoa! But is erythritol liable to possibly upset one's digestion? I can never remember which sweetners are okay to use, in that regard.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:01 PM   #6
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Hey, Sunny! Fauxtatoes would not be a good option here for more than one reason. As you noted, it's a pretty rich dish to begin with, and fauxtatoes with all their add-ins like sour cream, bacon, cheese, etc would just be too heavy.

Secondly, this isn't a very colorful dish, mostly creamy ivory. Fauxtatoes are more of the same, making for a not very attractive presentation. Blah and more blah. Bold color is clearly needed.

Thirdly, in a word, texture. The casserole is pretty soft, with nothing more than maybe a hint of crunch, if you should opt to add the crushed pork rinds.

For all these reasons, I'd counterbalance all these things with a crisp, green vegetable, such as steamed broccoli or al dente, peeled asparagus with a spritz of fresh lemon to cut through all the richness. Perhaps a rainbow medley of lightly sautéed peppers with red onion. Any of these are refreshingly light, which offsets the unctuousness of the entrée.

You want to select your accompaniment with as much thought as that with which you select your entrée, in order to make sure that it highlights that entrée and expertly points up its many virtues. Think of your plated meal as a tableau. You want to give equal weight to color, texture, and taste. The ideal pairing will incorporate each of those three elements.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #7
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Here's Another!

How about lasagna??

Because this is made in a 8.5"x4.5" loaf pan, the slices tend to be small. I cut the loaf into 6 pieces. Although to my way of thinking, allowing 2 servings to a person is generous, the hubs eats 4 slices, and I eat two. So if you're entertaining, you'll probably want to make more than one pan. Two pans will serve 4 generously,

Because tomato products are acidic and can erode metal pans, I recommend you use a glass loaf pan. But if you only have metal, it will be all right. Just be sure to remove the lasagna slices as soon as they're are cooled if you intend to store in the fridge, and store in a single layer I need a glass or ceramic pan, covered.

Leftovers reheat pretty respectably. Noodles may get a little softer, but not too bad.

Freshly cooked, however, these "noodles" are pretty darned close to the real thing when combined with all the cheeses, sauce, and baked. When sliced, it even looks like HC lasagna. Your guests might not even ever know!

"Noodles":
2 eggs
4 oz (half a block) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup grated Parmesan, Romano, or Asiago
1-1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 tsp basil
Pepper to taste
Pinch onion powder
Couple of pinches of salt

Line a 9"x13" pan with parchment (that makes for very easy removal later, so it works best in this particular case.) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Set rack into lower third of oven.

With a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until creamy. Blend in the eggs and mix until fluffy. By hand, fold in the cheeses, spices and salt.

Spread as evenly as possible into parchment-lined pan. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until it looks dry and is just beginning to turn color.

Remove from oven and put in the fridge for 20 minutes.

Take out of pan and put on a cutting board. With a large knife, cut into thirds. This gives you a perfect size "lasagna noodle" to just fit into an 8-1/2"x4-1/2" loaf pan.

At this point, you can construct your lasagna and bake it, or just refrigerate the noodles to make another time. They will keep, well wrapped individually, up to 4 days.

Sauce: if you have a favorite meat sauce recipe that doesn't use sugar, you can feel free to sub that. If not, here is a basic one that works really well in the lasagna. If you want to leave out the meat altogether, feel free. Great for Lenten Friday dinner that way.

1 pound ground turkey (may sub ground pork if you like. Beef, if you must.)
1/2 finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced very fine
1 large can tomato purée (or crushed tomatoes, if you prefer)
1 can filled with water
1 Tb dried basil
Salt and black pepper to taste

Brown the ground meat well. Remove to a plate and drain any excess fat.

Stir in the chopped onion to coat with the pan drippings left after draining, and to remove the stuck-on bits of meat. Cook over medium heat until very wilted and starting to turn color.

Add garlic and stir until fragrant.

Pour in tomato purée, water, and spices. Put meat back in.

Keep at a bare simmer for about a half an hour, or until desired thickness is reached. Taste to adjust seasonings as needed.

To make lasagne:

2/3 cup ricotta
3/4 cup mozzarella (if you bought a 2 cup bag, this will be the rest unused after making your noodle)
About 1/2 cup Parmesan, Romano, or Asiago, or a blend

In your loaf pan (size above) put a thin coating of sauce. Top with one noodle. Spread 1/3 cup ricotta evenly over. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella. Sprinkle 1-2 Tb Parmesan. Drizzle lightly with more sauce, about 2-3 Tb.

Repeat. End with the last noodle, sauce to coat the top, and a sprinkling of Parmesan (or cheese of choice.)

Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool for 5-10 minutes for easier slicing. Cut into 6 slices, and enjoy with a little more sauce and cheese over the top, if you want (but remember that tomato is your main source of the carbs in this recipe, so go easy!) Each slice is about 3.2 grams net carbs. I usually find 2 slices is more than adequate for me. The hubs puts away 4. Or five, if I'm not hungry and only eat one. He's glad to put away whatever is left!

You can freeze both the sauce and the noodles to use later. Sauce will last about 5 days in the fridge, noodles, about 3-4. I don't recommend you assemble the lasagna and refrigerate before baking, as the "noodles" will absorb liquid in the sauce, and they will become mushy. Best to assemble right before baking.

Serve with a crisp green salad, dressed with a simple balsamic or lemon vinaigrette.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Oops! Just noticed I forgot to direct you to sprinkle the last 1/4 cup mozzarella on top of the last noodle, after the sauce is applied. Sprinkle it along with the Parmesan, your last step before it goes in the oven. You probably figured that out already, but this message is just so there's no confusion.

Sorry. I zoned.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #9
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Cat, for these good recipes, and "Chefly suggestions"! Also, I read the two Asian recipes you posted recently. (I make a killer Pad Thai that has translated well to LC.)

I will decide SOON - in the next 22 hours! - what to serve, but regardless, am glad to have these recipes to try.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #10
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

It's a pleasure, Sunny! So many Thai recipes, and Chinese also, lend themselves perfectly to LC, particularly if you happen to like shirataki, like you and I do.

Doesn't matter what you serve this time around. Whichever ones don't make the cut will no doubt work another time. It's always important to keep as many arrows as you can in your quiver. You never know when one of them will be be just what you need. Maybe even just any old Tuesday night with your husband and kids.

Hope you do get a chance to try them at some point!
Old 11-14-2017, 05:34 PM   #11
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Both recipes sound good...I always use good deli chicken for my lasagne noodles..

Think I'll try the Cordon Bleu...

Of course you know Linda Sue has a zillion recipes on her site which are amazing, too.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:39 PM   #12
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

I really hope you enjoy them, Carolyn! Props on the shout-out to Linda Sue's awesome recipes. Good call!