Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2017, 12:23 PM   #1
Jaded62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
Looking for a low carb meatloaf recipe

Do any of you nice people have a good low carb meatloaf recipe, Please. I am sick of mine. I want something different. Thank You !
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #2
susieqrn
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 221/181/130
WOE: moderate low carb JUDD
Start Date: January 2016
This recipe is from The View from Great Island and tweaked to be low carb. I've made it twice and served to company. It went over very well. You could probably use crushed pork rinds in place of the flax/almond flour if you like.

Bourbon Glazed Meatloaf
• 1 lb ground beef
• 1 lb ground pork
• 1 egg, beaten
• 2 Tbsp. flax meal
• 1/3 cup almond flour
• 1/2 yellow onion, peeled and minced
• 1 tsp salt
• lots of fresh cracked pepper

Bourbon glaze
• 1 cup SF fruit jam or preserves, I like to use apricot
• 1/4 cup Sukrin Gold or other brown sugar sub
• 1 Tbsp hot chili sauce or Sriracha (use more if you like things hotter)
• 1/2 cup bourbon (or any kind of whiskey or cognac)
• 1/2 cup of your favorite LC barbecue sauce
• 1/4 cup water
INSTRUCTIONS
1. Set oven to 350F
2. To make the sauce, put all the ingredients in a sauce pan and stir to combine. Bring to a boil lower the heat and simmer/boil gently, uncovered, for about 10 minutes until thickened. If you used a chunky jam you may want to use an immersion blender to puree the glaze.
3. Put the meats in a large mixing bowl, breaking them apart into small pieces as you add them.
4. Add the egg, flax, almond flour, onion and salt and pepper to the bowl. Mix everything well with your fingertips. You want to thoroughly incorporate all the elements without over-doing it.
5. Form the meat into a loaf, not too tall and not too wide. You want it to cook evenly, so try to get it even from end to end.
6. You can set it directly in a pan or on a baking sheet, or set it on a rack if you have one. Whatever you do, be sure to line the pan with foil since the glaze will drip and make a mess.
7. Spread a layer of glaze all over the meatloaf and bake it for about 60 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted in the center reads 160F. I baste another layer of sauce on the meat halfway through the cooking.
8. Remove the meat and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing. Slather on a final coat of glaze just before serving, (heat it up on the stove so it is hot) and serve extra sauce on the side.
susieqrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #3
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RexsreineSC
WOE: LC, lower fat, higher protein
Start Date: off and on for ten years
Not an answer but another meatloaf question- Panko crumbs

I just saw a great meatloaf recipe that calls for three pounds of meat: one pound each of veal, beef, and pork. I think I could use ground chicken for the veal since ground veal is nearly impossible to find and outrageously expensive when you do.

The recipe also calls for a whopping 2.5 cups of Panko crumbs. Any ideas on subs for that? I think flax in that quantity might taste grassy, almond meal would probably be too heavy, and coconut flour would give a sweet taste. Chia seeds, maybe? How much?

I think this is an Ina Garten recipe and the sauce is not your average doctored-up catsup. Instead, it's a lovely, very garlicky condiment.

I like making big meatloaves; you can always freeze for easy meals.

So, help please, with the Panko!

TIA,

Ginny in SC
RexsreineSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Crushed pork rinds work well but I think that's an excessive amount for that much meat? Also, if you use it, TVP (textured vegetable protein) works well for things like this. Moisten it up though before using or it sucks the moisture out of the meat.

It's a soy-based product and as I try to avoid such things these days, I no longer use it, but boy I sure liked it when I did use it!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #5
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I have started using an almond flour/parmesan/porkrind dust/ground chia seeds mix in my meatballs and meatloaf. I'm not sure you need as much as the recipe calls for. But the mixture is both tasty and inoffensive.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #6
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RexsreineSC
WOE: LC, lower fat, higher protein
Start Date: off and on for ten years
Charski and Soobee, I don't use pork rinds in anything (smell and idea of it just gets to me) and I try to stay away from soy these days. So, looks like I'll wing it with almond flour, Parmesan, and ground chia. I'm guess a cup of such a mixture might be enough.

Thanks for your help. Have to get some ground chicken and pork so I can try. Will let you know how it turns out.

Ginny in SC
RexsreineSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #7
Jaded62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
Thank You all for the suggestions and recipes. As for a binder in my meatloaf I just use some eggs. I add one egg per 1/2 pound of meat. It works and low carb. You can not taste the eggs.
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:27 PM   #8
Baylor
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baylor
WOE: Atkins's 72-DANDR
Start Date: 1/18/2017
I like it simple but it is good. I use salt, pepper, garlic powder, a sprinkle of brown gravy mix, egg, and mayo. I know it sounds weird but the mayo makes it so moist and yummy!!
Old 03-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #9
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/145/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Meatloaf Recipe from Jen Eloff

DOUBLE BACON CHEDDAR
MEAT LOAF
Double Bacon Cheddar Meat Loaf…what could be better than this meaty, cheesy meat loaf? The center of the meat loaf has precooked round Canadian bacon and thick pieces of Cheddar cheese, that melt and it looks beautiful when the meat loaf is cut. It is such a tasty meal with some cauli-mash on the side and my tasty Amish Broccoli Salad recipe. No filler needed for the meat loaf to hold together. It's fine without.

3 eggs, fork beaten
1 tbsp Montreal Steak Spice (15 mL)
3/4 tsp salt (3 mL)
1/2 tsp black pepper (2 mL)
3 lbs lean ground beef (1.4 kg)
5 slices Canadian bacon, cooked, (2 oz; 57 g)
but not crisp
4 oz Cheddar cheese, cut thickly (125 g)
6 slices raw bacon

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).

In small bowl, combine eggs, Montreal Steak Spice, salt and black pepper.

In large bowl, combine ground beef and egg mixture well. Divide the mixture in half. On a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan, form one half into approximately 3-inch (8 cm) wide log. Down center, place semi-cooked Canadian bacon rounds and Cheddar cheese pieces on top. Place remaining ground beef on top, forming a log and carefully sealing the filling in nicely. Wrap bacon around loaf, leaving small spaces in between. Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:00 AM   #10
flatferenghi
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i have never used a recipe for meatoaf.

I almost always do it differently each time. on the whole, I like it firm with no fillers (usually), just adding spices and condiments. I like my ml neutral, so that I can do my individual portions in different ways. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote