Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #151
Mom23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom23
Stats: 242/221.5/135
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 6/24/14
Welcome to all the new JUDDDers! You will find everyone here very supportive and friendly.
7/24: 232
8/24: 230
9/24: 226
10/24:
My Journal
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ig-pounds.html
Mom23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #152
LoCarbGal
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mama View Post
This is my first time on a weight loss board and my first ever post! I am excited to know that I can come on here and read and get encouragement from others who have been where I am at. I have always been big since I can remember. I am 5'2 and weigh 238. I have been blessed with five children. I considered having a weight loss surgery, but then I decided to give it one more try with dieting. I don't want to have to deal with all the excess skin that surgery leaves. With me having had five children I know my skin will probably not all go back, but I think it may be considerably more by doing this with diet instead of surgery. I have never been able to lose more than 20 pounds. To be honest I didn't look at it as a way of life, just a temporary diet to lose. So I always got tired of it and quit. My husband is medium build and can eat what he wants. But he supports me. My oldest two daughters are following in my steps with their eating and weight gain. I am trying to find something that will not only work for me but also for them as well. We had our first down day yesterday and it was ok. I know I will have to better tho if I'm gonna lose any weight. So here's to a new beginning and a new way of life.
Big Mama! I'm so glad you've started on JUDDD and I hope you and your daughters will find it a wonderful tool to lose with. There's tons of information here and all the threads, and even go back and read as many older threads as you can too. Post lots, ask us questions, and just make friends. This is an amazing group. Good luck!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Part 2
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #153
Big Mama
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Mama
Stats: Start- 238.8 1st Goal- 170
Start Date: July 21, 2014
Thanks for all the Welcomes!

My daughters are 17 and 15. The 17yo is 5'4.5 and weighs 212. The 15yo is 5'0 and weighs 200. It is very helpful to have them doing this with me. It helps motivate me as I know if I give up they will most likely follow me. On the other hand, if I keep going, they will too! I know they will lose faster, but that's ok. They are young and have great metabolisms. Today is our second DD and I already notice that I'm not as hungry as usual! Hope all has a great day.
Big Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #154
nitenurse
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-213)/160
WOE: Atkins/Fast-5
Start Date: 1972
I got through first week ok, but I feel like I am eating too much on UDs, If I remember right this kind of settles down after you get used to being able to eat what you want. THe dds are fine, it's a relief for me not to have to cook a lot. I still tend to avoid carbs, because I don't feel good when I eat sugar, and it makes me hungry. I am really carefully considering before I eat, what I really want to eat. Sometimes this takes me awhile to figure it out, I've been doing mindless eating for so long. But if I eat what I really want, that takes care of the cravings.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #155
Seabreezes
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitenurse View Post
I got through first week ok, but I feel like I am eating too much on UDs, If I remember right this kind of settles down after you get used to being able to eat what you want. THe dds are fine, it's a relief for me not to have to cook a lot. I still tend to avoid carbs, because I don't feel good when I eat sugar, and it makes me hungry. I am really carefully considering before I eat, what I really want to eat. Sometimes this takes me awhile to figure it out, I've been doing mindless eating for so long. But if I eat what I really want, that takes care of the cravings.
There are several people here who are doing HDE or hunger directed eating or IE or intuative eating. That sounds like what you are doing. It is great. We are mixing it with JUDDD. There are several threads on this. Keira's Mom and Carolina Coast are our stars with this WOE.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #156
piratejenny
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
I am really carefully considering before I eat, what I really want to eat. Sometimes this takes me awhile to figure it out, I've been doing mindless eating for so long. But if I eat what I really want, that takes care of the cravings.
On DDs when I'm fantasizing about food, and even on UDs when I'm too full or don't have enough calories to eat the things I was thinking of, I've been writing down what I'd like to eat on the next or a later UD. Sometimes it just helps to write it down; then I can stop thinking about it. (I like making lists in general; they help me feel more in control when I have too much on my mind! ) On DDs I sometimes even look up recipes for what I'm craving so I can make it later on...just sometimes! I can't always handle it!

I've found it's better for me to examine my thoughts and feelings rather than try to ignore them, suppress them, or get mad at myself for having them. It's almost like I'm reading a sheet of paper then turning it over and putting it to the side.

I do love this WOE because unlike other plans, I've been able to have "crazy" foods like funnel cake, ice cream, pizza, fried samosa & French fries pretty much every week while losing weight and not feeling guilty!

9/04/2014...car accident, in coma for 5 weeks!!!

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-23-2014 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: typos
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:46 PM   #157
GettingToGoal
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GettingToGoal
Stats: 350/345/180
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: December 2016
Hello everyone! My name is Stephanie and I'm new to the JUDDD way of eating. I'm almost 44 years old, married twenty years, mother of two teenage boys, and I am currently at my highest weight of 330 pounds, so I have a very long road ahead of me.

I've been researching JUDDD online, and I do have one question, if that's okay. I read that during the two week induction phase, Dr. Johnson suggests drinking Slimfast or some other type of weight loss shake in order to stay within the DD 500 calorie limit. I'm just curious if this is what all of you did. I'm trying to avoid sugar as much as possible, so I was wondering if eating low carb on the DD's instead of drinking Slimfast would be okay.

Thank you for your help. I look forward to getting to know all of you.
GettingToGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:14 AM   #158
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/113/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
GettingToGoal and to JUDDD

Many of us used normal food during induction. Dr Johnson mentions shakes and bars because some people find it easier to use pre-counted kcal products rather than work out portion sizes and kcal content for themselves, particularly if they're cooking mixed dishes for family meals. It depends what suits you better.

Eating 500kcals in low carb on your DDs seems to be a good, practical idea.

Good Luck
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:45 AM   #159
KeirasMom

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/156.8/155
WOE: Back to JUDDD 1/5/15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettingToGoal View Post
Hello everyone! My name is Stephanie and I'm new to the JUDDD way of eating. I'm almost 44 years old, married twenty years, mother of two teenage boys, and I am currently at my highest weight of 330 pounds, so I have a very long road ahead of me.

I've been researching JUDDD online, and I do have one question, if that's okay. I read that during the two week induction phase, Dr. Johnson suggests drinking Slimfast or some other type of weight loss shake in order to stay within the DD 500 calorie limit. I'm just curious if this is what all of you did. I'm trying to avoid sugar as much as possible, so I was wondering if eating low carb on the DD's instead of drinking Slimfast would be okay.

I ate real food during induction, just making sure to stick within my allotted DD calories. It worked great for me, and many others.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:01 AM   #160
Mom23
Senior LCF Member

I ate real food.
10/24:
My Journal
Old 07-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #161
GettingToGoal
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GettingToGoal
Stats: 350/345/180
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: December 2016
Thank you for the help! I was really hoping I wouldn't have to stick with shakes the first couple of weeks.

Onward and downward!
GettingToGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #162
LoCarbGal

Quote:
Congratulations on getting through week 1! You're right about it settling down after you become adjusted to being able to have what you want EOD. There's a fine balance between being firm with yourself and sticking to plan, and being too restrictive with yourself and triggering overeating or even bingeing. One thing about doing JUDDD is you learn A LOT about yourself as you go. Good luck heading into week 2, and let us know how you're doing along the way. Please post as much as you want over on the main threads so we can get to know each other!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettingToGoal View Post

Stephanie! You're right around my starting weight. I'm not to the finish line yet, but I am so glad I took the first step in this journey that seemed so incredibly long and impossible at the time. JUDDD has been a life changer for me, and I hope you will have great luck with it, and some fun with us here too!

I never did the shakes at all. I just found real foods I could it in smaller portions, or lower cal foods that I could have a lot of (salads). You've probably read around the boards that some of us, me included, like to save most of our DD calories for dinnertime. It works great for me. If I can stay busy and focused through the day, then it's easier to enjoy my evening meal and make it through to bedtime. Good luck to you!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

Old 07-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #163
Beadelia
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beadelia
Welcome Newbies. You have come to the right place.

I'll toss my two cents worth in on the side of the "real food" advocates. The best way to learn how to eat right is to start with real, nutritious foods that fit into your WOE. There are plenty available even for down days -- boneless, skinless chicken breast, boiled eggs, lean roast beef, low-carb vegetables, etc.
Personally, I sometimes use a shake or a bar if I have to be away from home, but all the ones I've found taste way too sweet, even those with no sugar at all, and sometimes I start craving them even though they often make me feel "icky." They're better than an emergency stop at McDonald's, but I would be in big trouble if I made them a regular item of diet at home. They also contain all sorts of unpronounceable stuff of dubious value. Better to give the human body the fuel it was designed to eat.

GettingToGoal, it might give you a real boost to read some of Leo41's posts in the July Daily Chat thread. She started out at 340 and now weighs 145 and has kept it off for four years. Check out Carly's posts, too. Her before and after pictures will amaze you. LowCarbGal and Jenericstewart have both lost over 100 lbs. These are just some of the weight loss heroes populating the JUDDD forum threads, and they and the rest of us will "hold your hand" as you make this journey. There are so many experienced JUDDDers here, and all are super-helpful in answering questions. They've sure helped me, and continue to help me. Just remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question, except for the one you don't ask.
Beadelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:00 AM   #164
kwerp
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 153/132/124
Hihi!
I'm not entirely new, but I am back. Took a long couple of months off from everything in the diet world it seems. Spent the last week doing LCHF, and now I'm incorporating rotations as well. I really liked this group, and I'm glad to be back.
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:25 AM   #165
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

It's very good to see you again, Kwerp. I hope that your earlier experience with JUDDD has some clues as to how you might integrate it into your life in a way that suits your and your needs.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #166
crwolff
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: crwolff
Stats: 167/163/130
WOE: LC& JUDDD
Start Date: 8/4/14
I'm jumping on the JUDDD bandwagon. My first DD is today. I've been back and forth with atkins/low-carb a time or two had always been relatively successful with it. That was until this time around. Two lb loss in a week was a bit shocking. I expected a little more? I've decided to give JUDDD a try. I've decided to watch my carbs on my UP & DD days because I'm pre diabetic. It's something that runs in my family, once you turn a certain "age" my magic number being 42
crwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:37 AM   #167
Mom23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwolff View Post
I'm jumping on the JUDDD bandwagon. My first DD is today. I've been back and forth with atkins/low-carb a time or two had always been relatively successful with it. That was until this time around. Two lb loss in a week was a bit shocking. I expected a little more? I've decided to give JUDDD a try. I've decided to watch my carbs on my UP & DD days because I'm pre diabetic. It's something that runs in my family, once you turn a certain "age" my magic number being 42
10/24:
My Journal
Old 08-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #168
Shari4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (191.9/170.9/145)66yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 8/24/15 @191.9)
Just stopping by to wave hello to all of the newbies!!

I’ve always wanted to be normal, but lately I’ve come to suspect that this is it.
Shari4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #169
LoCarbGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwerp View Post
Hihi!
I'm not entirely new, but I am back. Took a long couple of months off from everything in the diet world it seems. Spent the last week doing LCHF, and now I'm incorporating rotations as well. I really liked this group, and I'm glad to be back.
So glad you're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwolff View Post
! JUDDD is such an amazing thing. Give it a little time and you may never want to go back to anything else. I hope to see you posting all over the boards soon!

Old 08-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #170
Annieway
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Annieway
Hi everyone,
I've been lurking here for a few weeks and trying to follow a regular UD/DD rotation with some success. I'm 63, 5'4" and weighed about 150 lb about a year ago when I last weighed myself. I make myself completely crazy when I weigh or count calories so I refuse to do that any more. I still fit easiily in all my clothes from a year ago so I believe I've maintained the 70 lb loss for the past 12 months. I decided to try JUDDD because I'd like to lose about 30 more pounds and it's not moving with what I've been doing.

I lost the earlier weight by low calorie eating, mostly avoiding carbs, but not being super-strict about the carbs. Because of my age, being sedentary and diet history, I can only lose weight if I eat under 1000 calories a day. I am absolutely miserable eating so little all the time, so I figured I'd try this. At least it gives me a treat to look forward to on UD and I'm really good at calorie restriction when I set my mind to it.

So far I don't know if I've lost weight because I don't weigh myself and I haven't been doing this long enough to see a difference in size. I have no problem doing 300 calorie DD followed by UD when I'm not traveling. I suspect I've been enjoying my UDs a little too much and I hope I can settle that a bit.

The biggest problem is that I travel for business with lunch, and often dinner provided. I can skip breakfast easily, and sometimes a salad without dressing is provided at lunch, although that's difficult if the food is yummy. But dinner is impossible. Before trying JUDDD I would have a Quest bar for breakfast, eat a light lunch and enjoy dinner. Maintenance is possible with this. UD/DD is not.

So I'm embarking on this journey to see what happens doing UD/DD rotations when I can and then trying to fast until dinner every day when traveling - Do you think this will be possible? I travel about once a month for a week at a time.

This board seems to have the nicest people and I'm looking forward to participating! sorry for the novel.
Annieway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #171
LoCarbGal

Annieway! I love your name. Very cute.

I think your plan could really work. I understand how difficult it would be to stick with true UD/DD for your travel week. I'll be so interested to see what your results are.

I'm really glad you've been lurking and getting to know us, but even more glad that you've spoken up and are ready to join in. I can't wait to get to know you better. Good luck!

Old 08-06-2014, 01:57 AM   #172
kwerp
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 153/132/124
Hi Annieway!
Glad you quit lurking!

You approach sounds quite reasonable. If anything, you could always focus on getting rotations when you're not traveling, and if necessary, include MDs into things when you are.
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:16 AM   #173
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Annieway and to JUDDD.

You've obviously given this a lot of thought to make sure that you give JUDDD a useful trial to evaluate whether it's a good fit to you and your life.

Will you be able to spend a couple of weeks or so in induction before you next travel? Varady doesn't include induction as part of her ADF but Johnson is of the opinion that it influences SIRT1 regulation.

That said, your plan to rotate when you can and then fast until dinner on the days you're travelling etc. sounds feasible. I would, however, suggest that you might need to carry some instant broth or bouillon cubes with you when you're travelling in case you need to adjust your electrolytes during the day while you're fasting.

Good luck

Mar. 2017 Rehabbing a foot and concussion. I currently have a lot of physiotherapy. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #174
Annieway
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Annieway
The bouillon cubes are a good idea. I'll pick some up today - I'm traveling again on Saturday to visit my son in NYC and then on to a meeting in Washington DC for the rest of the week. I live in Los Angeles but my company is based on the East Coast so I get to visit my son fairly regularly.

I have been able to do induction for the last couple of weeks with the exception that I got thrown off by donating blood on Monday. Does anyone else do that regularly and what do you do to compensate? It was supposed to be a DD for me and my plan was to fast until about 2 hours before donating at which point I ate all my calories and a bit more (Quest bar plus a big handful of grapes and a banana). I made it through the donation but felt a little light headed so I ate a packet of cookies they have available. By the time I got home, I decided DD on blood donation day is not a good idea so I ate a normal dinner. It ended up probably being a little more than a MD. And I did a DD on Tuesday which worked out well except that I couldn't sleep Tuesday night despite taking melatonin which usually works for me.

Any advice on how to manage blood donation would be helpful. I try to donate regularly.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
Annieway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #175
pforrester
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pforrester
Stats: 156/125.5/125
WOE: LCHF + JUDDD
Start Date: Atkins 2/1/11 - JUDDD 8/9/14
Never heard of JUDDD till last Sat.

I googled how to lose the last 10 lbs and found one of the threads here that recommended or was talking about JUDDD. I was curious what the heck that was. I liked the idea, especially for the last 10 lbs. since I had never done anything like this before. So here I am. First DD I started right away last Sat. 8/9/14.

Do most usually do the two week induction then up calories on the DD or do fewer DD's after 2 weeks. From what I have read it seems they keep going with induction......
pforrester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #176
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pforrester View Post
I googled how to lose the last 10 lbs and found one of the threads here that recommended or was talking about JUDDD. ... First DD I started right away last Sat. 8/9/14.

Do most usually do the two week induction then up calories on the DD or do fewer DD's after 2 weeks. From what I have read it seems they keep going with induction......
and to JUDDD. I hope that you enjoy your trial of it and learn whether or not it suits you and your life.

The induction period is to activate the SIRT1s that Dr Johnson believes to be associated with the benefits of alternate day fasting. The induction can be 2 weeks or longer, depending on how long it take people to settle into the JUDDD schedule that suits them.

Typically, we advise people to start with DDs of 500kcals or so and then adjust down towards the calculator number (if the latter is lower) after the induction period.

You will keep the alternate day fasting schedule for as long as you need it. Once you have reached your maintenance weight, you can decide to reduce the number of DDs in a week (some do 5:2 or 6:1) or continue with ADF for the health benefits but increase your kcal intake on DDs or UDs so that it matches your overall weekly needs.

I hope this makes sense to you. Good Luck!

Mar. 2017 Rehabbing a foot and concussion. I currently have a lot of physiotherapy. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #177
LoCarbGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pforrester View Post
I googled how to lose the last 10 lbs and found one of the threads here that recommended or was talking about JUDDD. I was curious what the heck that was. I liked the idea, especially for the last 10 lbs. since I had never done anything like this before. So here I am. First DD I started right away last Sat. 8/9/14.

SlowSure is a JUDDD pro and success story, so I won't add anything except to say and good luck!

Old 08-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #178
pforrester
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pforrester
Stats: 156/125.5/125
WOE: LCHF + JUDDD
Start Date: Atkins 2/1/11 - JUDDD 8/9/14
Thanks SlowSure and LoCarb Gal. I am waiting for the book to arrive, any day now. I did not know that after induction one went down to the calculator DD calorie limit. So then you stay there until goal. That makes more sense of what I have been reading.

Thanks for the info......
pforrester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #179
LoCarbGal

You CAN lower under 500, but if you're losing well and are happy at 500, stay there as long as you can! Plenty of time to lower later, when/if you need to. Good reading!

Old 08-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #180
KeirasMom

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/156.8/155
WOE: Back to JUDDD 1/5/15
Linda, I was 39 when I started JUDDD and I was hypothyroid (undiagnosed until I'd been on JUDDD for around 6 months IIRC). I was nearly 300 pounds, and lost 45 pounds with JUDDD BEFORE I got diagnosed, and medicated. I really think JUDDD is a miracle for those of us who are sure we can't lose, or think our metabolisms are broken. I was one of them, and I've been comfortably at goal (minus a few vacation jumps) for a year and a half. You CAN do this!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote